Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What’s tonight’s debate going to this betting market? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,126

More in Commons Live focus group think it's all pretty crap but Sunak more polished, but interrupting moderator an issue

Do we all remember that first debate with Truss? He thought he'd smashed it and it backfired dramatically?

Yep.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    edited June 4

Environment.
    Waffley Starmer bombing, Sunak clear and combative winning.
    Who would have thought it.

Do have to giggle. You think this is going to help the Tories? Sunak is being laughed at as I type this
    Who would have thought prepared and polished Sunak would come out with a clear win tonight. It’s got to help him and the campaign.
    You are trying to brush it off as meaningless win now?

Remember 2010 when the debate blew polling apart
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,984

More in Commons Live focus group think it's all pretty crap but Sunak more polished, but interrupting moderator an issue

Where can I see this?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Can’t these guys just have a brawl, I get the impression neither likes each other.

hate fuck
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,374
    Starmer has now taken a convincing lead. It's now 1-0. National Service was laughed at as it deserved to be
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Sunak has edged it I think but I'll be fascinated to see the snap poll after.

I don't see either of them winning this.
    Which is huge win for Starmer.

Sunak needed game changing mega moment.

He did't get one.
    That's a good point. It's not a turn around debate for Sunak.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,573
    Andy_JS said:

Where can I see this?
    Luke tryls twitter is commenting about it
  • Options
    Seriously Sunak wanted SIX of these?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,832
    Starmer pointing out he is attached for his ideas and for not having ideas. Makes a good point that RIshi not taking about his record.

First reference to 5 Prime Ministers. Have to start fresh with Labour gets some applause.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,205
    Sunak the clear winner in the debate for me, despite Starmer having far stronger material to work with which he didn't really press.

Moderator: The worst I've ever seen.

Polling impact: sod all.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 762

Sunak won that first half for me, far more combative.

You are biased of course, but I agree. But that was because of amateurish moderation. Starmer more measured and prime ministerial.
    Am I biased? What is that based on? Point to a comment I have made on PB that is baised. With the very greatest respect, I feel like I am probably one of the most unbiased posters on here.

To add, hopefully in an unbiased way, I think Starmer has improved in the 2nd half.
    For some reason I thought you were a self-declared Tory. Apologies if that is wrong.

In any case, I agree with your analysis.

Thank you - no I am not a self-declared anything.

If I was in the Lords I would almost certainly be a crossbencher.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,615
    Anecdotes. But my WhatsApp groups of less political folk watching this are generally of the view that it is an appalling standard of debate and horrible watching. Like the Alien Vs Predator tagline: whoever wins, we lose.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,559
    Starmer wins on opening clip on BBC news 10 - which is how most people will actually absorb this.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,464
    OOOOOH! Exit poll in one month (less one minute)
  • Options

Seriously Sunak wanted SIX of these?

No, he wanted to be able to say he wanted six of them so he could say Starmer was running scared.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,789
    Taz said:

Can’t these guys just have a brawl, I get the impression neither likes each other.

They're both quite small, but Starmer looks like he could handle himself if it got a bit tasty.
  • Options
    Has Keir just mentioned a 'CLEAR PLAN'?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,567
    Sunak is the guy who went into his finals with his essays already written in his head. Starmer is the guy who revised everything he had been taught in the previous three years.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,211
    Roger said:

Starmer has now taken a convincing lead. It's now 1-0. National Service was laughed at as it deserved to be

Starmer running away with it second half, Sunak running out of puff.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,138
    Oh, it's after 10pm!
  • Options
    Footy question :lol:
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,205
    Starmer bringing it back with YIMBYism for me, won't be moving many votes though.
  • Options
    Starmer talking about home ownership and building homes, and need to change planning laws. Good news to me, but is it actually popular?
  • Options
    Score draw now, Sunak has run out of puff
  • Options
    Starmer stronger in the second half of the debate due to less interruptions.
  • Options

Environment.

Do have to giggle. You think this is going to help the Tories? Sunak is being laughed at as I type this
    Who would have thought prepared and polished Sunak would come out with a clear win tonight. It’s got to help him and the campaign.

the audience *were laughing at him*

Clear win indeed
  • Options
    This debate won't have shifted many votes, if any.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233
    Now it’s the whimsical bit at the end. FFS.

This has been shit. Utter utter crap.

SKS will be as good a PM as Sunak.

Heaven help us.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

They rarely make much difference.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 986
    dixiedean said:

I haven't watched the debate. Too busy at work and sort of decided not to do so too.

I know this is probably an impossible question to ask in an election campaign where everyone is very invested, including me, but...

Does anyone have an objective take on how well Starmer and Sunak have done here please?

I'll try.
    Sunak is very aggressive and impassioned. He is making his points with ferocity. Swinging wildly. Sounds committed. But veering towards the deranged. He's by any standards rude.
    Starmer seems to have been thrown a little. He's remained calm. But I think it is dawning on him the Sunak does not intend to fight in a gentlemanly manner. He appears to have frozen a little. He looks every inch what he is. A prosecutor. But he's labouring under the prosecutor's nightmare. He's not getting the defendant he expected and planned for. And with a woefully weak judge.
    Doesn't seem to be able to improvise. He needs to either go in two footed in return. Or stick to the game plan.
    It's going better for Sunak. But perhaps that may be low expectations.
    Difficult to say how it will be judged by the more important constituency, those who aren't really familiar with them.
    Sunak on a split decision so far. But leading with his chin.
    Very fair summary. I'm definitely in the Starmer camp but think Sunak will gain from this.

Starmer sounds more competent, but I gloss over his answers. Sunak's answers stick more, even if they're nonsense (eg go home and Google cost of electric car, insulation, heat pump etc).
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,553
    Did Sunak really just say he hated hearing the public’s opinions?

Starmer much better on the football question.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,480
    edited June 4

Do we all remember that first debate with Truss? He thought he'd smashed it and it backfired dramatically?

Yep.
    In that debate he came over as arrogant and mansplaining. He was just plain rude and gave the impression he thought Truss was some upstart who should not have dared to challenge him.

Now Truss was a loon, but he gave the impression of being a man scorning the presumption of a woman. Not a good look.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,211

Sunak won that first half for me, far more combative.

You are biased of course, but I agree. But that was because of amateurish moderation. Starmer more measured and prime ministerial.
    Am I biased? What is that based on? Point to a comment I have made on PB that is baised. With the very greatest respect, I feel like I am probably one of the most unbiased posters on here.

To add, hopefully in an unbiased way, I think Starmer has improved in the 2nd half.
    For some reason I thought you were a self-declared Tory. Apologies if that is wrong.

In any case, I agree with your analysis.

Thank you - no I am not a self-declared anything.

If I was in the Lords I would almost certainly be a crossbencher.
    Is that some kind of totally-depraved, ultra-Woke gender-bending? (Just kid-ding!)
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,221
    Very strong finish from SKS. Should have been like this throughout.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,380

Question from Miles from Ilford :lol:

I am Miles from Ilford. I am currently in Ardnamurchan.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,002
    Starmer genuinely seemed more excited to talk about the football there... felt he was about to list his preferred starting XI for a minute then...
  • Options
    The LSD graphics behind them are a bit distracting.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,331
    Will the next one be after the manifestos are out? It would be a bit silly if they didn't have a chance to debate them.
  • Options

Taz said:

hate fuck
    Mindbleach needed !!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Quite right but it tells you that Rishi will lose. He is the ultimate dead end
  • Options
    Taz said:

Heaven help us.

There is an alternative!
  • Options

Environment.

I mostly remember that mad bit at the end when Gordon decided to leave the rostrum and shake hands with the audience, followed a bit later by a bemused Clegg and Cam.
  • Options
    148grss said:

This really is dross; they are both awful at this.

Both were servicable. Each scored a few points.

Sunak needed a bit more.
  • Options
    Oh God. Is she hosting the 7-way hate fest next week?

Imagine what Farage will do to her
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,115

Taz said:

Heaven help us.

There is an alternative!
    I assume you mean Nigel Farage! ;-)
  • Options

Taz said:

They're both quite small, but Starmer looks like he could handle himself if it got a bit tasty.
    I reckon he could too. I think he’d fight dirty as well. Bit of bag snatching.
  • Options
    Rishi won every round in 2nd section too, except Natty servs, which was just weird from him. Sunak didn’t even sell natty servs with his eyes.

Whatever skills Starmer’s has, debating is not one of them, hence his loss here tonight.
    Starmer needs a thousand words and ten minutes each time to give an answer. 🫣

Sunak, quick, clear, punchy, and came full of questions for Starmer and ambushed him with them.

I enjoyed it, it was fun 🙂
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,414
    Overall, Sunak did better than expected, I think. But that’s on the basis that I expected him to utterly fail, and he said one or two coherent sentences.

Sunak is probably more “clip-able” overall for social media, which (depressingly) matters. And Starmer never really rejected the tax and environmental costs stuff. But Sunak was laughed at more.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,022

OOOOOH! Exit poll in one month (less one minute)

Bong!
  • Options

Taz said:

Heaven help us.

There is an alternative!
    I assume you mean Nigel Farage! ;-)
    Other flavours of milkshake are available
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 835
    Sunak quoting Trainspotting at the end, kept waiting for him to say 'Choose life'.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The LSD graphics behind them are a bit distracting.

And the music - was very The Day Today esque.
  • Options

Closing
    Starmer – I don’t offer gimmicks or unfunded promises. I don’t promise theres a magic want to fix overnight. Practical common sense plan to change Britain. Patriotic believe we can and will be better. Imagine how you will feel to 5 more years of tories, decline, division, arsonists given the matches. Imagine labour putting country back in your service, choice is clear, more chaos with conservatives, ro chance to change Britain

Sunak – a vote for anyone else makes it more likely starmer will be PM. Agree with me or not you know me, and I’ll have your back, like in furlough. Won’t say what he will do or what it will cost. Cannot trust an uncertain PM, don’t vote for them. Choose lower immigration, lower taxes, protected future.

Sunak was weird there, his tone was utterly unlike any other part of the debate, softer and smooth, very rehearsed. Starmer seemed more earnest.

Sunak saying you may not like him but you know him, Starmer saying he is not overpromising, both rather careful in final pitch
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 2,494
    edited June 4
    That was the worst moderated debate I've ever seen. She was utterly hopeless. Sunak allowed to talk over Starmer, Starmer allowed to shout over Sunak.

A score draw in the end for me.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,823
    Would give Sunak the edge. Starmer had a few too many times where he avoided a direct question and went on tangents about his toolmaker dad, the DPP, and WW2 for some reason. Sunak more aggressive but hit his key points home better.

Wouldn’t expect it to shift anything though.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,100
    Well that was poor. It won't have shifted any votes so a win for Starmer.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,770
    kle4 said:

Starmer talking about home ownership and building homes, and need to change planning laws. Good news to me, but is it actually popular?

He's hit the nail on what needs to be done.

I've said for years planning restrictions and NIMBYs are the number one block in this country. If he follows through on that, then he's won my vote with that - but what's the detail because that's a big if.
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 334
    What's the rough viewership of that piece of crap?

I am not quite as scathing as median viewpoint here but KS really shouldn't be getting wound up by Sunak's shenigans, being magesterial would have been better.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Starmer genuinely seemed more excited to talk about the football there... felt he was about to list his preferred starting XI for a minute then...

I think he probably would have done if given the time!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,211
    rkrkrk said:

Starmers problem was listening to the questions and attempting to answer them seriously. There isn't time for that.

Sunak just trotted out his prepared lines in a gotcha attempt and ignored the questions.

So pretty similar to the PMQs that we have seen these last 20 or so months.
  • Options

Boris, Cameron or Blair would have been able to get a laugh. The two don’t have that, which tells us something.
  • Options
    Sunak did succeed in showing Labour's plan is hollow.

But he also got laughed at.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,539
    Interesting debate but I think Sunak edged it and performed above expectations, winning on tax and immigration in particular.

Starmer though won the NHS and waiting lists section
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,307
    Sunak might have softened up some of the Labour vote so that they end up going for Farage.
  • Options
    I'll call it boring at 6/10 for each - Sunak had a decent start, Starmer did better on questions in second half. Sunak was confident and energetic, but aggressive. Starmer solid as expected, but was a bit flummoxed initially.

Neither relied too much on a few catchphrases after a rocky start.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,497
    edited June 4
    Sunak has been very aggressive and scored some hits .

Starmer should have done better to refute some of the attacks .

I think Sunak edged it but his manner at times was quite annoying and I do think his answer on the NHS was awful . Of course people might try and go private if they have the money but many couldn’t afford to .

Labours campaign will go big on that and Sunaks will go big on the 2,000 pound tax bombshell.

• Options
    I suspect Starmer will come over better on the Question Time special.

But Sunak won tonight I think, just.
  • Options
    edited June 4

Score draw now, Sunak has run out of puff

When he started talking about National Service I started feeling sorry for him.

He really had thought of it on the way to the gym and he didn't even try to hide it. I think he's finished
  • Options
    I will admit, having kept patronising them for talking over each other, dear moderator started talking over Starmer’s answer too.
  • Options
    Jim_the_LurkerJim_the_Lurker Posts: 114
    Hmmm - I think Starmer was pretty poor. And Sunak better than I expected. However, I cannot fathom some of the lines from Sunak. “You’ve had fourteen years to come up with ideas” seemed destined to be memes. I also thought his outro was like a bad American informercial. Did not make me want to buy.

Starmer just wanted to get through it. And I supposed he did. Which I guess was the goal (and why I thought he was poor). But I can’t imagine it would make anyone hop and skip to the ballot box to mark a cross for Labour.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,539
    biggles said:

pigeon said:

biggles said:

pigeon said:

I am missing the debate on account of a thing. Is it as dreadful as anticipated?

You made the right choice, even if your “thing” was a root canal.
    Won't go into details, but it's been nearly as painful. Situation where one is desperate to go home but can't. Interminable waiting. Would rather be at home watching these two TBH.
    Sorry to hear it. Best wishes.
    Am now on way home, at last. My sense of relief at the end of the suffering probably echoes that of the debate audience.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,943
    dixiedean said:

I haven't watched the debate. Too busy at work and sort of decided not to do so too.

I know this is probably an impossible question to ask in an election campaign where everyone is very invested, including me, but...

Does anyone have an objective take on how well Starmer and Sunak have done here please?

I'll try.
    Sunak is very aggressive and impassioned. He is making his points with ferocity. Swinging wildly. Sounds committed. But veering towards the deranged. He's by any standards rude.
    Starmer seems to have been thrown a little. He's remained calm. But I think it is dawning on him the Sunak does not intend to fight in a gentlemanly manner. He appears to have frozen a little. He looks every inch what he is. A prosecutor. But he's labouring under the prosecutor's nightmare. He's not getting the defendant he expected and planned for. And with a woefully weak judge.
    Doesn't seem to be able to improvise. He needs to either go in two footed in return. Or stick to the game plan.
    It's going better for Sunak. But perhaps that may be low expectations.
    Difficult to say how it will be judged by the more important constituency, those who aren't really familiar with them.
    Sunak on a split decision so far. But leading with his chin.
    Excellent summary thanks.
  • Options
    I think Sunak also came across quite badly initially in how he answered the questions but got a bit better towards the end.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,559
    Barnesian said:

Well that was poor. It won't have shifted any votes so a win for Starmer.

Yep. Good summary.

Exactly as Team Starmer would have wanted.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,567
    YouGov:

Sunak - 51%
    Starmer - 49%
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,066
    ITV have Tice on for Reform not Farage in their debates

• Options
    tlg86 said:

YouGov:

Sunak - 51%
    Starmer - 49%

That seems spot on.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

YouGov:

Sunak - 51%
    Starmer - 49%

Almost the cursed ratio.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142

No, he said he wasn't sure whether he or Southgate had more people wanting to pass on their opinion.

I thought Starmer was as bad as expected and Sunak slightly better than expected, but both against a very low bar.

Labour's honeymoon is going to be very short.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,066
    Sunak 51% Starmer 49% via YouGov
  • Options
    Sunak gave some nervous Tories some fire to bolster morale, Starmer had no cock ups. I expect that since he is rated more popular means Starmer will be seen as the winner, but Sunak wasn't bad.

But the public won't get to see him demanding "What plan?" at Starmer over and over for 4 weeks.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

YouGov:

Sunak - 51%
    Starmer - 49%

THE FIGHTBACK STARTS HERE!
  • Options

Nige is frit!
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,211

Andy_JS said:

They rarely make much difference.
    ONLY if one of the debaters REALLY screws up.

Like Richard Nixon with his sweating & five-o'clock shadow. Or Jerry Ford with Poland being "free". Or Bush the Elder looking at his watch. Or Al Gore with his "locked box".

At other end of the spectrum, can make a difference IF one of the debaters gets off a killer one-liner.

Like Walter Mondale asking Gary Hart, "where's the beef?" Or Ronald Reagan saying he refused to take advantage of his Mondale's "youth and inexperience". Or Lloyd Benson telling Dan Quayle, "I knew Jack Kennedy . . . Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy".
  • Options
    I might have recalled this wrong but didn't Corbyn and Johnson tie the debates?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,307
    tlg86 said:

YouGov:

Sunak - 51%
    Starmer - 49%

The day the snap polls turned.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

YouGov:

Sunak - 51%
    Starmer - 49%

Think Sunak will take that.
  • Options
    So, we went into the debate with the Tory slide into E.L.E. getting worse.

Has salvation now arrived? After all, Starmer has had 14 years to come up with policies during his time in government, and has a track record of failure. We learned that tonight. So watch the Tory recovery be like a landslide.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,538
    "US President Joe Biden has announced a sweeping new executive action aimed at curbing migrant arrivals at the US-Mexico border

It will stop migrants who cross unlawfully from receiving asylum, but only takes effect when the southern border has been "overwhelmed""

Biden agrees with Sunak that there is such a thing as arriving illegaly.
  • Options

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/26441-who-won-itv-general-election-debate

Exactly the same, lol.
  • Options
    RobD said:

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/26441-who-won-itv-general-election-debate

Exactly the same, lol.
    Sort of baffling really.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Exactly the same, lol.
    So big majority for Sunak then :)
  • Options

That was the worst moderated debate I've ever seen. She was utterly hopeless. Sunak allowed to talk over Starmer, Starmer allowed to shout over Sunak.

A score draw in the end for me.

I think Sunak won overall, but Starmer won the second half. The moderating in the first half particularly was abysmal, although it improved after the break.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,115
    Talking to Davey now. Got flustered when challenged on their figures
  • Options
    biggles said:

tlg86 said:

YouGov:

Sunak - 51%
    Starmer - 49%

Think Sunak will take that.
    Agreed. But he didn't needed to smash it out of the park and to be honest I don't think Starmer did that well, so to me this still suggests the public have basically made up their mind.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 460

Strange. They have Farage on the BBC debate this week, no? What's the point of him coming back if they don't want to use him for both?
This discussion has been closed.