Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Has Rayner cost Labour the votes of short men? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913
    DavidL said:

The Scottish Tories are to lodge a VONC. That's a pity. It would probably have been more effective from Labour or the Greens but I suppose they are the official opposition.

Can the Greens justify keeping the cheques rolling by not voting for it? Its a tough one but my guess is that they will find a way. Abstention would probably do it.

No such thing as the official opposition, whatever Ruth Davidson liked to call herself. That's a Westminster conceit. But yes, they are the second largest party.

And thje Greens are happy to vote with the Tories at times: trams, anyone?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

kamski said:

Mr. Pioneers, 'cancel warriors'?

You understand it's legitimate to criticise someone for obnoxious use of language, right? That there's a difference between doing that and demanding someone be thrown out of public life?

Who is calling for cancellation? Name these warriors at which you're 'giggling'. I'm perhaps a bit sleepy, so I may have missed those calling for Rayner to no longer be an MP.

Give over. "Obnoxious use of language" - if that is a thing you want to ban - is something to aim at Nadine Dorries.

It is an entirely legitimate political action to hoist politicians up with their words, deeds and actions. A Conservative ex Cabinet Minister and direct colleague of Sunak called him a "Pint-Sized Loser". Various posters on here seem very upset that she threw that back at the Tories - shouldn't be said, not legitimate as you put it.

You want to cancel such "obnoxious" language, yes?

Lets look at who thinks it was fine - the Speaker. He is very quick to call out unparliamentary language. Is scrupulous about the rules of what can and can't be said whilst staying in order. And he found it to be in order. Because it IS in order.
    Rayner seemed to be quoting Dorries approvingly, I didn't have you or Rayner down as Dorries fans.

'pint-size' not acceptable, less of this from Labour please.
    Oh, is 454cm3-size better?

Only joking - your point is a fair one.
    So he’s a 454ml American pint size, rather than a 568ml British pint size?
    Argh - just as well I don't work for an airport refuelling company. I meant 568 ...
    Refuelling planes is an exercise in maths. The pilot wants to know how many lb or kg of fuel he has on board, as energy is related to weight and the density of the fuel changes considerably with temperature.

So you need to know the weight requested, the fuel temperature, and the formula to convert into the litres or gallons which your fuel bowser uses to transfer the fuel.

The fueller, dispatcher, and pilot, will all do the same maths and cross check each other!
    Though there was that ?Canadian plane which ran out in midair because of confusion with units ...
    The Gimli Glider

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326

Mr. Pioneers, you do realise that 'cancel' culture means trying to get people to lose their jobs or forbid certain perspectives? It doesn't just mean criticising someone.

You're overusing it as much as people overuse 'woke'.

Like this one.

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-mp-who-complained-about-labours-angela-rayner-to-police-refuses-to-say-what-he-thinks-shes-done-wrong-13117144
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Latest ECMWF forecast for the May Day bank holiday looks like it will have Leon in despair. Another area of high pressure to the west bringing a cold plunge south over Britain.

With luck this forecast will prove to be inaccurate.

I’m off abroad again. Thank fuck
    Fantastic morning in Paris. Bright, clear, sunny day. Walked from one side of the AdT to the other, a couple of kilometres in total. Paris looking magnificent. Everyone had a spring in their step, big smiles all round. Had a quick coffee near Rue Francois 1er where, incidentally, I was passed by what seemed to be an endless stream of the most extraordinary yummy mummies what on earth do they feed them on a Paris, I wonder. Everyone so elegant, so what is the word, so chic. Bemoaned the fact that later today I will be back in drab old England walking out into the grotty St. Pancras air.

Oh well.
    You really should be getting @Leon's fee for this.
    Just wrote the story. I get paid. Lol
    Well done you.
    I’m also right but you are far too arrogant to ever admit it. I had to physically send you evidence for the necklace before you reluctantly yielded. But that’s fine. I’m easily as arrogant as you

And yes there is an element of subjectivity

But I’m also right! Etc etc etc

I have had a cracking few days in Paris. It's a brilliant city just like most other capital cities when it's good it's great when it's bad it's ineffably Parisian.

Not my fault you need to write in primary colours for your audience and associated fee.
    Yes, but I’m still right

You’re not a paid noticer, it sharpens the senses
    Neither am I someone who needs to "notice" things for their writing. Which keeps my observations within touching distance of reality.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    Taz said:
    What does she know now that she didn't know then?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326
    Taz said:
    It's as if an election was on the horizon.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,929
    Keep an eye on bird flu. Beef might be about to fall off the menu.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Latest ECMWF forecast for the May Day bank holiday looks like it will have Leon in despair. Another area of high pressure to the west bringing a cold plunge south over Britain.

Fantastic morning in Paris. Bright, clear, sunny day. Walked from one side of the AdT to the other, a couple of kilometres in total. Paris looking magnificent. Everyone had a spring in their step, big smiles all round. Had a quick coffee near Rue Francois 1er where, incidentally, I was passed by what seemed to be an endless stream of the most extraordinary yummy mummies what on earth do they feed them on a Paris, I wonder. Everyone so elegant, so what is the word, so chic. Bemoaned the fact that later today I will be back in drab old England walking out into the grotty St. Pancras air.

Oh well.
    Well done you.
    Whoever you are.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,990
    DavidL said:

The Scottish Tories are to lodge a VONC. That's a pity. It would probably have been more effective from Labour or the Greens but I suppose they are the official opposition.

Can the Greens justify keeping the cheques rolling by not voting for it? Its a tough one but my guess is that they will find a way. Abstention would probably do it.

Is it possible to have an early election in Scotland?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,539
    Eabhal said:

Will you be wearing a red carnation and carrying the Financial Times?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’m on the hunt for Noom

If this was noomy Britain, I’d be expecting a serious outbreak of Noom in about 20 seconds. As this is France, who knows

You could have a crack at locating this.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocéliande
    Hoiw about the U-boat bunkers in Brest etc.? Or the preserved nuclear submarine? Plenty of noom positive or negative, I'd think. The Germans didn't mess around with making lightweight roofs.

Caveat: may be available to French citizens only?

Or the castle and Nappy's canoe.

https://www.brest-metropole-tourisme.fr/en/explorer-brest-metropole/nos-incontournables/le-musee-national-de-la-marine/
    PS Sorry -the sub is in Cherbourg, had misremembered. And the Brsest bunker is not open to the public (but others are available along the coast).
  • Options
    Sadiq Khan wants to bring WrestleMania to London if he wins third term as mayor
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/sadiq-khan-wants-bring-wrestlemania-102838389.html

Sensible policies for a happier London.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,517
    Fuck this I need a megalith. I need better noom
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Only if there is deadlock over electing an FM. It's a fixed term parliament.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Oh well.
    Well done you.
    I’m also right but you are far too arrogant to ever admit it. I had to physically send you evidence for the necklace before you reluctantly yielded. But that’s fine. I’m easily as arrogant as you

I have had a cracking few days in Paris. It's a brilliant city just like most other capital cities when it's good it's great when it's bad it's ineffably Parisian.

Not my fault you need to write in primary colours for your audience and associated fee.
    Yes, travel writers are either in hock to whoever paid for the trip and it’s simply a puff piece trying to entice others to go there, or they are trying to make a name for themselves by unduly slagging off the place. No sensible person should ever follow their advice; indeed when the more widely read ones recommend somewhere, it is best avoided for years afterwards whilst the crowds of sheep all go there. Cf. Rick Steves and the Cinque Terre (for which he’s since apologised), hence why I am staying up in the Ligurian hills and not down there with all the shouting urinating young Americans.

Today here it’s alternately sunny and quite warm, and cloudy and strangely chilly, but always dry. I narrowly missed being hit on the head by a lemon falling from the tree I was sitting under, which didn’t detract from the pleasure of sitting under a lemon tree listening to the PO inquiry from back home.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

Sean_F said:

Savanta UK
    @Savanta_UK
    🚨NEW London Mayoral Voting Intention for
    @MileEndInst

📈13pt Sadiq Khan lead

🌹Lab 46
    🌳Con 33
    🔶LD 9
    🌍Green 7
    ➡️Reform 2
    ⬜️Other 2

I have to say, I find the Conservatives' vote shares in these local election polls surprisingly good, given the state of national polling.
    Their Westminster voting figures are...

🌹Lab 52
    🌳Con 27
    🔶LD 10
    🌍Green 4
    ➡️Reform 6
    ⬜️Other 1

So, looks like Susan Hall gets the Reform UK Westminster vote share, while Zoe Garbett does better than the Greens' Westminster vote share, knocking down Khan's share.
    That's not a huge swing, compared to 2019.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313
    Taz said:

Sandpit said:

isam said:

A still from the upcoming ‘Around the World in 80 Daves’ where Lord Cameron goes round the world and meets 80 people also called Dave in unusual places (BBC2, Spring 2025)

https://x.com/_f_b_g_/status/1783252770423718098?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Comedian Dave Gorman did that a couple of decades ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Are_You_Dave_Gorman?
    Channel4 did a slightly more malign variation called something like "The Other Maxine Carr" where they met a few people who, sadly, shared the same name with the jailbird. It was quite good.
    Elis James and John Robbins are currently doing around the world in 80 Daves - I assume this is the original source for this?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,300

He would be better off waiting for a while. The WWE is really not a fit organisation at the moment. It needs to truly redeem itself. Too many of the old guard still involved.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1525653/read-alleged-vince-mcmahon-text-messages-janel-grant-wwe-lawsuit/
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

There are some terrifying reports in the NYT. I didn’t want to relay them because I don’t want to become the Donald Fagen of Doom AS WELL as the Noel Gallagher of Noom
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,977
    Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Good question: I do not know. What happens if ScotParl cannot pass a VONC in any executive? Does it just stagger on or is a new election called?
  • Options
    From 1 July 2024, we’re introducing an annual limit of £20,000 to the amount of cash you can pay into your personal accounts.
    https://www.barclays.co.uk/help/payments/how-do-i-pay-cash-in-at-branches/

Barclays cutting costs under the fig leaf of tackling money laundering?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Oh well.
    Well done you.

Yes, travel writers are either in hock to whoever paid for the trip and it’s simply a puff piece trying to entice others to go there, or they are trying to make a name for themselves by unduly slagging off the place. No sensible person should ever follow their advice; indeed when the more widely read ones recommend somewhere, it is best avoided for years afterwards whilst the crowds of sheep all go there. Cf. Rick Steves and the Cinque Terre (for which he’s since apologised), hence why I am staying up in the Ligurian hills and not down there with all the shouting urinating young Americans.

Today here it’s alternately sunny and quite warm, and cloudy and strangely chilly, but always dry. I narrowly missed being hit on the head by a lemon falling from the tree I was sitting under, which didn’t detract from the pleasure of sitting under a lemon tree listening to the PO inquiry from back home.
    Fantastically Pooterish, if only Pooter included canine zoophilia
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’m on the hunt for Noom

If this was noomy Britain, I’d be expecting a serious outbreak of Noom in about 20 seconds. As this is France, who knows

Hoiw about the U-boat bunkers in Brest etc.? Or the preserved nuclear submarine? Plenty of noom positive or negative, I'd think. The Germans didn't mess around with making lightweight roofs.

https://www.brest-metropole-tourisme.fr/en/explorer-brest-metropole/nos-incontournables/le-musee-national-de-la-marine/
    I'm assuming he's already done the Carnac megaliths ?
  • Options

From 1 July 2024, we’re introducing an annual limit of £20,000 to the amount of cash you can pay into your personal accounts.

Is that at least £20,000, or at most £20,000?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,929
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

There are some terrifying reports in the NYT. I didn’t want to relay them because I don’t want to become the Donald Fagen of Doom AS WELL as the Noel Gallagher of Noom
    PB is going to go into meltdown if Sunak has to enforce veganism.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    I had an awesome AV thread planned for this afternoon but Humza Yousaf has derailed that.
  • Options
    edited April 25
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’m on the hunt for Noom

Yes. This was part of the Great Noom Debate. Carnac is oddly lacking in noom compared to the renowned megaliths of the British isles

There is said to be a fabulous and noomy inscribed megalith passage on an island in Morbihan bay. But it’s on an island in Morbihan bay
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

Looks like my new avatar was ahead of the game then!
  • Options

It genuinely is money laundering and tax evasion reasons.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Good question: I do not know. What happens if ScotParl cannot pass a VONC in any executive? Does it just stagger on or is a new election called?
    Yes but it is not immediate. There is a procedure under the Scotland Act by which, in the event that a VONC is granted, Parliament is given a period to find a government which does have a majority. If that fails you can have an early election.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Yes but it is not immediate. There is a procedure under the Scotland Act by which, in the event that a VONC is granted, Parliament is given a period to find a government which does have a majority. If that fails you can have an early election.
    A bit like the Fixed-Term Parliament Act?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

And it's a high limit - I think Natwest is £10,000...
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Oh well.
    Well done you.

You're the dude who does odd things with dogs.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Oh well.
    Well done you.

Of all the fruits to fall from a tree, the lemon is amongst the least dangerous. A coconut or anvil tree would have been a different matter.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    Sean_F said:

Savanta UK
    @Savanta_UK
    @MileEndInst

📈13pt Sadiq Khan lead

🌹Lab 46
    🌳Con 33
    🔶LD 9
    🌍Green 7
    ➡️Reform 2
    ⬜️Other 2

I have to say, I find the Conservatives' vote shares in these local election polls surprisingly good, given the state of national polling.
    Yes, they are. I think it's because Mayoral elections focus attention on the individuals and their perceived virtues and defects, and with Labour 20% ahead generally, people are less likely to have consistent preference for a Labour individual than the party generally. With a huge party lead, Labour will hope that people vote for the party rather than the harder-to-predict opinion about personalities.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Chapeau, sir
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Oh well.
    Well done you.

They’re tasty. Dogs. Very very tasty

Btw I am slightly obsessed with the forest of Brocéliande. I might indeed go hunting for it if I can extend my stay (the tourist board are deciding if I can change my train times)
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

@Douglas4Moray to table a vote of no confidence in Humza Yousaf. Could be interesting given what the Greens have said today about the first minister. Will they vote in support of the FM given they have said he is a coward and not to be trusted?

https://x.com/holyroodmandy/status/1783453827733070170

Gives the Greens an interesting dilemma but they won't vote for a Tory motion.
    More broadly this seems to mark the ending of Sturgeon's "progressives for indy" strategy which Humza was supposed to be upholding as her continuity successor.
  • Options
    eek said:

I thought theirs was £24k per year/£3k per day.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

No such thing as the official opposition, whatever Ruth Davidson liked to call herself. That's a Westminster conceit. But yes, they are the second largest party.

And the Greens are happy to vote with the Tories at times: trams, anyone?
    They also said during the Bute House agreement they’d be willing to work with SLab if it came to pass they were in a position to govern at Holyrood. After all the squealing dies down everyone should remember all’s fair in love, war and politics.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

For anyone thinking of attending the Proms, get tickets to see Yunchan Lim, if you can.
    Possibly the best pianist in the world, and certainly of his generation.

Standing room only.
  • Options

I had an awesome AV thread planned for this afternoon but Humza Yousaf has derailed that.

So you were faced with more than two candidates, ranked them in terms of preference and chose accordingly? 😀
  • Options
    Purge: Election Year
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’m on the hunt for Noom

Yes. This was part of the Great Noom Debate. Carnac is oddly lacking in noom compared to the renowned megaliths of the British isles

There is said to be a fabulous and noomy inscribed megalith passage on an island in Morbihan bay. But it’s on an island in
    Morbihan bay
    Are you not going to visit ?

Location of one of Caesar's naval battles, so you can tease the locals about their halyard management -

...Since the destruction of the enemy fleet was the only permanent way to end this problem, Caesar directed his men to build ships. However, his galleys were at a serious disadvantage compared to the far thicker Veneti ships. The thickness of their ships meant they were resistant to ramming, whilst their greater height meant they could shower the Roman ships with projectiles, and even command the wooden turrets which Caesar had added to his bulwarks. The Veneti manoeuvred so skilfully under sail that boarding was impossible. These factors, coupled with their intimate knowledge of the coast and tides, put the Romans at a disadvantage. However, Caesar's legate Decimus Junius Brutus Albinus was given command of the Roman fleet, and in a decisive battle, succeeded in destroying the Gaulish fleet in Quiberon Bay, with Caesar watching from the shore. Using long billhooks, the Romans struck at the enemy's halyards as they swept past (these must have been fastened out-board), having the effect of dropping the huge leather mainsails to the deck, which crippled the vessel whether for sailing or rowing. The Romans were at last able to board, and the whole Veneti fleet fell into their hands...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,418

If you can find a branch that is.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Oh well.
    Well done you.

Btw I am slightly obsessed with the forest of Brocéliande. I might indeed go hunting for it if I can extend my stay (the tourist board are deciding if I can change my train times)
    The actual forest is quite big, and I think they've touristified some if it based on the legend ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Oh well.
    Well done you.

The actual forest is quite big, and I think they've touristified some if it based on the legend ?
    Paimpont I think? I hear it is quite atmospheric and - dare I say it - noomy. If I get the chance I’ll go
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

eek said:

I thought theirs was £24k per year/£3k per day.
    That's what the website says - now trying to remember what the £10k was - haven't thought about that since I escaped last year...
  • Options
    Right. I’ve found a crappy megalith on the infinitely reliable and amazing megalith.co.uk

Some stupid dolmen in a muddy field

Allez!
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Andy_JS said:

"KSN Miyagi MA
    @ksnmiyagi

In the words of Rt Hon Lord Justice Fraser in the High Court in 2019, Angela Van Den Bogerd "did not give me frank evidence, and sought to obfuscate matters and mislead me". It's clear from today's #PostOfficeInquiry hearing that this particular leopard can't change her spots!"

https://twitter.com/ksnmiyagi/status/1783456520153301317

She sounds about as convincing as if she'd pleaded the fifth.
  • Options

@Douglas4Moray to table a vote of no confidence in Humza Yousaf. Could be interesting given what the Greens have said today about the first minister. Will they vote in support of the FM given they have said he is a coward and not to be trusted?

https://x.com/holyroodmandy/status/1783453827733070170

Gives the Greens an interesting dilemma but they won't vote for a Tory motion.
    More broadly this seems to mark the ending of Sturgeon's "progressives for indy" strategy which Humza was supposed to be upholding as her continuity successor.
    I think the Greens will abstain because they are utterly pathetic, shameless and useless. They also know that the only reason that 7 of them litter the chamber is the SNP suggestion that the second vote for list MSPs might be better spent on another "Independence" party rather than their own natural appeal. Any new Holyrood will have significantly fewer Green MSPs in it.

The Tories and the Lib Dems must also be a little apprehensive. The winds of change are blowing a gale in Scotland right now but not necessarily in their direction.

The SNP have no money to fight one election. Having both a Holyrood and a Westminster campaign in the same year threatens them with financial disaster.

Still, its all good theatre.
  • Options

Post Offices is where I make my rare cash deposits.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    OK fucks sake can someone please explain what is going on in Scotland. Please keep it simple for someone who doesn't really care.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,177
    @conor_matchett

On voting against Humza Yousaf in a Holyrood VONC, a Scottish Green source states: "We certainly wouldn’t rule it out at the moment though.

"I suspect he’ll manage to bring himself down without us prodding him."
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’m on the hunt for Noom

PS Sorry -the sub is in Cherbourg, had misremembered. And the Brsest bunker is not open to the public (but others are available along the coast).
    Going to Bergerac for a few days in June where no doubt nice wine & food will be consumed, but cultural attractions may be exhausted soonish. Will do at least a day in Bordeaux, quite fancy this, as much because it was a sub base as ‘the world’s largest digital art centre’.

https://www.bordeaux-tourism.co.uk/bassins-des-lumieres
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

OK fucks sake can someone please explain what is going on in Scotland. Please keep it simple for someone who doesn't really care.

The loonies kicked out the numpties for not being daft enough to hang together
  • Options
    "Did you forget about this email, too?" Beer asks...
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

This is remarkable. Russia is out-producing Europe in military equipment to such an extent that it is able to restock its military warehouses, while Europe was unable to keep Ukraine supplied with US help. What a monumental failure by Europe.

Russia is already producing more arms and military equipment than it needs for its war against Ukraine, and is filling its weapons warehouses, German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius said, as reported by the German television channel n-tv on April 25.

As Russia switches into a war economy mode, "a large part or part of what is newly produced no longer goes to the front, but ends up in warehouses," Pistorius said on air of the ARD program Maischberger.
    Yet it needs to take WWII tanks out of museums, seems like propaganda. Why the hell would they be using Chinese golfcarts if they had unlimited production, or taking NK junk and Iran cast offs.
    Good excuse for Germans to not send taurus to Ukraine.
    Russia has also seen its arms sales plummet, due to the quality of its armaments.
    And there're the lost opportunities as well: that money could be put to much better purpose; a purpose that actually helps Russian citizens. Instead it's being sent to be destroyed in Ukraine. The US managed to leverage their massive industrial capacity built up during WW2 to become a superpower, but I doubt Russia can play the same trick.

In the medium term, it may be worth it *if* Russia grabs a large part of Ukraine that can be exploited in the future. But that's doubtful IMV, particularly if international sanctions remain. And that's key: keeping the sanctions regime in place. Putin, his minions and the appeasers will be calling for them to be lifted ASAP.
    That's as may be, but it's not much comfort for the Ukrainian soldiers fighting to defend Chasiv Yar is it?

I don't know why. I don't know if it's complacency. Maybe fear. Perhaps simply a lack of seriousness. But there are a lot of politicians who have talked the talk about providing whatever it takes to help Ukraine and they have failed to walk the walk.

We have to first recognise this failure if we are to have any hope of fixing it and turning things around.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963

With the added "bonus" that everything you do can be tracked by the state.

Like the proverbial boiled frog, our right to remain anonymous gets eroded away a little bit more with every passing year.

The early 2000s fight over ID cards seems quaint now, given that there's a half dozen CCTV cameras on every street, digital tracking of number plates, movement via tap in and out gates, etc, along with all-pervasive monitoring of our online lives (I've seen the kind of detail *advertisers* know about me, let alone imagining the depths of the profile the state will have built up over every last one of us).

• Options
    @UKandEU
    🗣️ “I think the 2016 referendum is going to be as unsuccessful as the 1975 one".

👉As featured in Playbook this morning, Sir John Curtice predicts that there may be another EU referendum before 2040.

@benrileysmith

Fascinating from Curtice, who reckons another EU referendum may happen in the next 16 years. Notes three quarters of Labour voters still back EU membership and a future Labour government may want to move closer to their position at some point.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,350
    TOPPING said:

The PO enquiry is gold dust. In a bad way.

Angela vdB is either very very stupid or very very malign or possibly both.*

The big message is don't fuck with Jason Beer.

*says the entire country as/if they watch this.

Most of the PO vermin traipsing in front of the Inquiry are either stupid, or weak, and often both. If however you want a real pantomome villain, Angela vdB fits the bill perfectly.
  • Options
    Clearly now, "I can't recall" is the go-to defence for any Post Office malfeasance.
    Along with "I couldn't have noticed".

..In the email we see Belinda Crowe, programme director for Project Sparrow, asks whether this is the first report that references remote access, and says they need to "pick this up very robustly".

Crowe adds it appears they were asking for proof from the PO about Horizon.

Melanie Corfield, from the communications, replies to the email telling staff the PO's current line on remote access is: "This is not and never has been possible."

Beer says to Van den Borgen: "You knew that was false from multiple sources by now didn't you?"

"Yes," she tells the inquiry.

"It didn't register with me at the time," she says, but now she can see this is clearly false.

Beer says "we've seen a slew of emails now" that told her Fujitsu could remotely access individual transaction and change them. "Why wouldn't you put your hand up?" he asks.

"I just can't recall. To me, it couldn't have registered with me," she says as the messaging was constantly changing...
  • Options

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Yes, under s46 of the Scotland Act the Scottish Parliament has 28 days to nominate and approve the appointment of a first minister. If a VONC is passed presumably that will be treated like a resignation. Under s3 of the 1998 Act, if no such nomination is made within the time limit (there is the possibility of an extension) then an extraordinary general election is to be applied for by the Presiding Officer to His Majesty who can appoint the date on which an extraordinary election is to be held.
  • Options

And partly also so that cash traders have to open business accounts which attract bank charges, rather than wash everything through their personal accounts. This has caught a few course bookmakers out recently.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,017
    Leon said:

Right. I’ve found a crappy megalith on the infinitely reliable and amazing megalith.co.uk

Some stupid dolmen in a muddy field

Allez!

Some things are just not worth knapping, Leon.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,017

Post Offices is where I make my rare cash deposits.
    Around here, they are closing too.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014

Politicians should listen to the voters.

Not these voters obviously.

Yes, it's quite arguable that the only utility privatisation that has worked was telecoms.

Rail? No.

Energy? Er, maybe. Probably no.

Water? LOL.
    Yorkshire Water seems to be better run than it was in the 1990s when there seem to be regular water shortages and a massive leakage problem.

As with most things well run organisations are far less newsworthy than badly run ones.
    Yes. It's doing brilliantly.

Oh.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/country-and-farming/landmark-ps500000-payout-from-yorkshire-water-over-sewage-spill-which-killed-significant-amounts-of-fish-and-wildlife-kickstarts-restoration-project-4599138

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/yorkshire-water-pays-record-1million-civil-sanction
    Such stories have always happened.

And they would continue to happen if they were nationalised.

But Yorkshire doesn't suffer from droughts and water restrictions now as it did in the 1990s.
    Oh dear. I show you evidence that Yorkshire Water is paying record fines for polluting Britain's prized waterways and you claim "it would be the same were it nationalised". It was you who claimed it is well-run. It is not well-run, unless you consider dumping raw shit into Dales rivers and beaches in holiday resorts to be wet-run.

Get an effing grip.
    I don't disagree with you about the failings of some of the water companies nor the case for having some of them back in public ownership.

But the record fines thing is probably rather misleading. Prior to privatistion I suspect that fines were derisory or non existent - and probably stayed that way for quite a while after privatisation as well. The record fines I think reflects more on the change in attitude and enforcement related to water quality rather than changes in the water quality itself.

Britains rivers and beaches were notoriously filthy and polluted prior to privatisation and even with the slipping in standars more recently are still a million times better than they were.

Again, they are not better because of privatisation, they are better because we have enforced much higher standards.
    Agree with that, but I'd also add that it is a lot easier for the government to enforce higher standards when the government isn't the one breaking them.

Fining yourself doesn't really work.
    It was ever thus. The same problem exists with a lot of planning permissions where the local council is the developer. These days they don't even pretend to try and justify giving themselves planning permissions. They just do it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@UKandEU
    🗣️ “I think the 2016 referendum is going to be as unsuccessful as the 1975 one".

👉As featured in Playbook this morning, Sir John Curtice predicts that there may be another EU referendum before 2040.

@benrileysmith

Fascinating from Curtice, who reckons another EU referendum may happen in the next 16 years. Notes three quarters of Labour voters still back EU membership and a future Labour government may want to move closer to their position at some point.

Not a difficult prediction to make. Anything could happen before 2040.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Yes, under s46 of the Scotland Act the Scottish Parliament has 28 days to nominate and approve the appointment of a first minister. If a VONC is passed presumably that will be treated like a resignation. Under s3 of the 1998 Act, if no such nomination is made within the time limit (there is the possibility of an extension) then an extraordinary general election is to be applied for by the Presiding Officer to His Majesty who can appoint the date on which an extraordinary election is to be held.
    Can I borrow that for the next thread header?
  • Options
    OT the Times head of investigations is doing a Reddit AMA (ask me anything) at 5pm.

I'm the head of investigations at The Times and I spent two weeks undercover in one of Britain's most dangerous prisons - ask me anything
    https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/1ccpwjm/im_the_head_of_investigations_at_the_times_and_i/
  • Options

Money launderers were simply move over to electronic methods, if they haven't already.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’m on the hunt for Noom

Going to Bergerac for a few days in June where no doubt nice wine & food will be consumed, but cultural attractions may be exhausted soonish. Will do at least a day in Bordeaux, quite fancy this, as much because it was a sub base as ‘the world’s largest digital art centre’.

Have you ever been to Bordeaux? It’s fabulous. It used to be really sooty and rundown but some determined mayor cleaned it all up and revealed another mini-Paris, but nicer (it hasn’t got the many sins of Paris)

It’s good for at least 2 days of wandering around I’d say - if you can spare the time. Skip the new Musée du vin tho, unless you’re obsessed with wine - weirdly disappointing in a country that does good museums
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Of course.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,269
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

If you look through history, the effect of a technological change is very hard to predict. At least, you can make hundreds of predictions, none of which turn out to be correct.

Take t'Internet. I've been involved with the Internet since just before the WWW; and used Mosaic as a browser back in 93-4. I thought it would change things; but the amount of change, and the direction, were very different from how I thought (*). But also, I don't think many other people saw it either. Yes, we all thought it would change things. But this much?

Also, there are many predictions of tech that will change the world that turn out to be nothingburgers despite massive hype. Driverless cars being a brilliant example so far. All promise, massive hype, and lacklustre results.

IMV current AI is somewhere between the two; it's not good enough to be truly transformative, but it is very hard to see exactly how it will change things.

(*) If I had got it right, I might be very rich.

We often differ on this, but actually I agree with your summary. AI is a singularity and by definition there is an event horizon. We can’t see beyond - it’s extremely hard to make good medium term predictions - 5-10 years. They will be inspired guesswork at best; bollocks at worst

However you can make good short term predictions based on actual evidence. In early March Klarna said they had successfully replaced their call centre with AI - they explicitly said the reason they announced this was its profound implications

I therefore predicted on here that all call centre work was imperilled. Et voila
    Where I disagree is when you say rubbish like: "AI is a singularity"

And I remind you of all you predictions about driverless cars. ;)
    The invention of an alien intelligence, autonomous, apparently sentient, and superior to our own, is ABSOLUTELY a Singularity

(Snip)
    But that's not what we've got. Nowhere near.
    It’s near. I can sense it. I’ve NOTICED it

And many people call me the “Nell Gwynn of Noticing” (those that don’t already call me the “Jay Rayner of Place” or the “Noel Gallagher of Noom”, or the “Will Self of Self-Obsession”)

The Katie Hopkins of Twitter?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Of course.
    Ta.

Should be published in the next 10 mins or so.

A prize to person who spots the subtle Shakespeare reference in the next thread.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

The presiding officer is of course a Green, though I’m sure that wouldn’t make a difference. She’s actually plotted a pretty skilful course, unlike say Sir *redacted*.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

I see Forbes was out the blocks fast:
    As the First Minister has terminated the Bute House Agreement, I firmly believe ScotParl is strongest when there is thorough, public debate; the Gov is most effective when its priorities match the public's & theSNP is most electable as a broad tent, representative of the nation

I thought that was an unusually carefully constructed sentence, malc. Then I realised you were quoting Forbes 😀
    :D:D
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Of course.
    Ta.

Should be published in the next 10 mins or so.

A prize to person who spots the subtle Shakespeare reference in the next thread.
    I'm going for Is this a dagger I see before me if its really Shakespearean. If its not its got to be Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it infamy.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,337

Mr. Pioneers, you do realise that 'cancel' culture means trying to get people to lose their jobs or forbid certain perspectives? It doesn't just mean criticising someone.

You're overusing it as much as people overuse 'woke'.

People are trying to cancel her right to quote Tory MPs at Tory MPs. How is that different to them demanding that Linekar be muzzled and not allowed to tweet?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,418
    This May Be Our Last Chance to Halt Bird Flu in Humans and We Are Blowing It

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/24/opinion/bird-flu-cow-outbreak.html
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Nigelb said:

He’s going to be Sir Jason Beer KC this time next year.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

The presiding officer is of course a Green, though I’m sure that wouldn’t make a difference. She’s actually plotted a pretty skilful course, unlike say Sir *redacted*.
    Yes, she's done a pretty good job and, like other Presiding Officers, has been technically unaligned since appointed.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

You see Anwar, if you add up all the yellow dots, and then add up the blue, and red and green and ...oh never mind, take my word for it. The yellows are outnumbered. Honest.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cz5dy15grjnt

Surely Anas David, Anwar is a lawyer
    Yep, you're right. I tried to change it in the time but it wouldn't let me. Hey ho.
    We knew who you meant
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’m on the hunt for Noom

Have you ever been to Bordeaux? It’s fabulous. It used to be really sooty and rundown but some determined mayor cleaned it all up and revealed another mini-Paris, but nicer (it hasn’t got the many sins of Paris)

It’s good for at least 2 days of wandering around I’d say - if you can spare the time. Skip the new Musée du vin tho, unless you’re obsessed with wine - weirdly disappointing in a country that does good museums
    No, though my partner did a massive, long planned train trip last year ( London-Belgium-Moselle Valley-France-Spain and she loved Bordeaux, and France in general it has to be said. Only mildly obsessed with drinking wine!
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    Given the Scottish news it is useful that we have a Scottish local by-election today. It is in Angus and is an Ind defence - or rather it isn't because there is no Ind candidate. There is also a Lab defence in Cardiff.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Oh well.
    Topping , My trip scuppered by French Air Traffic strike, I should have been landing by now
    Yurgh. Sorry to hear that.
    Will need to do later in year
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Possibly even Justice Jason Beer KC, if he wants it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

I doubt it - they might ask him to chair the next enquiry...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

And thje Greens are happy to vote with the Tories at times: trams, anyone?
    Unlikely Turkeys will vote for Christmas, though they are childish enough
  • Options
    How well prepared are we for H5N1 ?

Massive amounts of H5N1 vaccine would be needed if there’s a bird flu pandemic. Can we make enough?
    https://www.statnews.com/2024/04/24/h5n1-bird-flu-vaccine-preparedness/
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Lord Chief Justice Beer or even President of SCOTUK.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,517
    edited April 25
    Personally I don’t understand how any of the opposition parties in Holyrood can justify not voting for the motion of no confidence but I accept that they very well may not.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,010
    Will Labour vote no confidence in Yousaf . Could be uncomfortable as it would allow the SNP to say that Labour joined with the Tories .
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    TOPPING said:

The SNP rogered the Greens and now the Tories are hoping the others will join their gang and roger the SNP.
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’m on the hunt for Noom

No, though my partner did a massive, long planned train trip last year ( London-Belgium-Moselle Valley-France-Spain and she loved Bordeaux, and France in general it has to be said. Only mildly obsessed with drinking wine!
    Enjoy. The countryside is pleasant, the city is a jewel
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,010

Savanta UK
    @Savanta_UK
    @MileEndInst

📈13pt Sadiq Khan lead

🌹Lab 46
    🌳Con 33
    🔶LD 9
    🌍Green 7
    ➡️Reform 2
    ⬜️Other 2

That's

Lab -5
    Con +6
    LD -1
    Green -1
    Ref 0
    Other 0

on their last poll in March
    The fieldwork was apparently from the 8th to the 17th of April . So most of that was older than the recent You Gov which was conducted 16/17 April and had a 19 point lead . Hopefully we’ll get some newer polls early next week .
  • Options

Personally I don’t understand how any of the opposition parties in Holyrood can justify not voting for the motion of no confidence but I accept that they very well may not.

MONEY