Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Has Rayner cost Labour the votes of short men? – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,775

This May Be Our Last Chance to Halt Bird Flu in Humans and We Are Blowing It

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/24/opinion/bird-flu-cow-outbreak.html

Texas cattle herds? We have Texan relations visiting for a week in May. Argh.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 23,103
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’m on the hunt for Noom

If this was noomy Britain, I’d be expecting a serious outbreak of Noom in about 20 seconds. As this is France, who knows

You could have a crack at locating this.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocéliande
    Hoiw about the U-boat bunkers in Brest etc.? Or the preserved nuclear submarine? Plenty of noom positive or negative, I'd think. The Germans didn't mess around with making lightweight roofs.

Caveat: may be available to French citizens only?

Or the castle and Nappy's canoe.

https://www.brest-metropole-tourisme.fr/en/explorer-brest-metropole/nos-incontournables/le-musee-national-de-la-marine/
    PS Sorry -the sub is in Cherbourg, had misremembered. And the Brsest bunker is not open to the public (but others are available along the coast).
    Going to Bergerac for a few days in June where no doubt nice wine & food will be consumed, but cultural attractions may be exhausted soonish. Will do at least a day in Bordeaux, quite fancy this, as much because it was a sub base as ‘the world’s largest digital art centre’.

https://www.bordeaux-tourism.co.uk/bassins-des-lumieres
    Have you ever been to Bordeaux? It’s fabulous. It used to be really sooty and rundown but some determined mayor cleaned it all up and revealed another mini-Paris, but nicer (it hasn’t got the many sins of Paris)

It’s good for at least 2 days of wandering around I’d say - if you can spare the time. Skip the new Musée du vin tho, unless you’re obsessed with wine - weirdly disappointing in a country that does good museums
    One of my great travel regrets is that I have never been to Bordeaux despite using its airport for several holidays. That said, I have tended to visit in August when it can be stiflingly hot (in a Spanish plume set up it absolutely cooks). Might take the missus there for a mini break outside peak summer.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,836
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

@UKandEU
    🗣️ “I think the 2016 referendum is going to be as unsuccessful as the 1975 one".

👉As featured in Playbook this morning, Sir John Curtice predicts that there may be another EU referendum before 2040.

@benrileysmith

Fascinating from Curtice, who reckons another EU referendum may happen in the next 16 years. Notes three quarters of Labour voters still back EU membership and a future Labour government may want to move closer to their position at some point.

Not a difficult prediction to make. Anything could happen before 2040.
    Feel free to conduct a seance and let me know if we rejoin.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,971
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

The Scottish Tories are to lodge a VONC. That's a pity. It would probably have been more effective from Labour or the Greens but I suppose they are the official opposition.

Can the Greens justify keeping the cheques rolling by not voting for it? Its a tough one but my guess is that they will find a way. Abstention would probably do it.

Is it possible to have an early election in Scotland?
    Good question: I do not know. What happens if ScotParl cannot pass a VONC in any executive? Does it just stagger on or is a new election called?
    Yes but it is not immediate. There is a procedure under the Scotland Act by which, in the event that a VONC is granted, Parliament is given a period to find a government which does have a majority. If that fails you can have an early election.
    A bit like the Fixed-Term Parliament Act?
    Yes, under s46 of the Scotland Act the Scottish Parliament has 28 days to nominate and approve the appointment of a first minister. If a VONC is passed presumably that will be treated like a resignation. Under s3 of the 1998 Act, if no such nomination is made within the time limit (there is the possibility of an extension) then an extraordinary general election is to be applied for by the Presiding Officer to His Majesty who can appoint the date on which an extraordinary election is to be held.
    Important to remember this is a VONC against the First Minister, not the Scottish Government as a whole. The former does not trigger an extraordinary general election if carried - Yousaf would have to resign and Holyrood not agree on a different nominee for the 28 days. He may well decide to tough it out until 2026.
This discussion has been closed.