Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can there be anything more symbolic than Monday’s Indy front page? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292
    Ghedebrav said:

Rishi's constant so far is being terrible at politics, so I'm not expecting that to change.

Worst-case scenario is that centrists have written the Tories off and aren't listening, but bringing Cameron back/sacking Braverman alienates the right-wing. You could see RefUK push beyond 10% and the Tories sink towards 20%.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    Leon said:

Actually, with AI you could appoint anyone you like anywhere from history. Thatcher to Home Sec. Richard the Lionheart as Foreign Secretary thanks to his deep experience of the Levant. Vlad “the Impaler” Dracul as Schools Minister. Moominpappa as Business Sec (one for the Mumsnet crowd, there). Anus McPenis - a completely fictitious failed Scottish punk star, invented by me 13 seconds ago - as Deputy PM

I mean, if you think this is currently possible or even potentially possible - I have a bridge in the metaverse I would love to sell you; it was designed by the same guy who made the most expensive bored ape
  • Options

Suella sacked and Dave back would mean I’ve got my fucking party back.

That may be so, but looking at the smoking wreckage of a formerly functioning, well-run, self-confident country playing it's role at the heart of Europe, a member of the single market with full freedom of movement for its citizens around their own continent, I am not delighted at all.

Cameron and Osborne precipitated disaster for this country. Austerity and Brexit. What a legacy.
    Austerity was inevitable, it wasn’t a choice.

Lest we forget Labour went into the 2010 general election promising deeper cuts than Thatcher.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    Dave as FS would be a most interesting development
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906

❤️

• Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 129
    Ŵondered who'd be the first of the loons to condemn Rishi for sacking Braverman? Andrea Jenkyns
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Jonathan said:

If the Tories tack to the centre with unelected retreads and still lose, the headbangers own the future outright. It’s a big gamble.

They have even less policies than Starmer and thats saying something.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    If nothing else appointing Cameron will knock sacking Braverman off the front pages.
  • Options
    148grss said:

I mean, when he's right, he's right...

That's about right
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Rishi, Dave, George and William outflank

SKS Reeves Cooper and Streeting to the left
  • Options
    It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if Osborne turned up as Chancellor, now, although Minister without portfolio is more likely.
  • Options

Ignore the Lib Dems on Dave.

They are still pissed he destroyed them.

From 62 MPs to 8 MPs on Dave’s watch.

They destroyed themselves, by trashing their own (actually very good) time in government.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Good day for UKIP or whatever they are called these days
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles might need some valium if GO comes back too.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314

That may be so, but looking at the smoking wreckage of a formerly functioning, well-run, self-confident country playing it's role at the heart of Europe, a member of the single market with full freedom of movement for its citizens around their own continent, I am not delighted at all.

Cameron and Osborne precipitated disaster for this country. Austerity and Brexit. What a legacy.
    No they didn't - the British voting public did.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Strong indication Rishi won't leave the ECHR if SCOTUK rules against him wednesday.

Excellent point.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    sbjme19 said:

Ŵondered who'd be the first of the loons to condemn Rishi for sacking Braverman? Andrea Jenkyns

Presumably Miriam Cates was too busy drowning puppies to comment.
  • Options

148grss said:

That's about right
    Yes. The reason why the Tory party is heading for ELE is because the current parliamentary party are so fucking awful. Morons. Idiots. Sycophants. The few who are decent are discarded on the backbenches.

You get what you vote for, and in 2019 people voted in the very worst political intake we have ever seen and made them the government.
  • Options

Long-standing PBers will know that I'm one of last few Cameron supporters, but my initial reaction to this news (assuming it is confirmed) is that I think it's a pity to have moved Cleverly, who has been particularly good as Foreign Sec and seems to have gained the confidence of foreign minsters around the world. Of course Cameron will also immediately be regarded as a serious figure, which will help.

It remains to be seen how he is received elsewhere but it probably helps that Merkel has left the scene. Trump getting back in might be a bit of a headache.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,217
    Gibb claims he jumped:

"Over the last few weeks I have been discussing taking up a diplomatic role after the general election. To enable me to do so I have asked the Prime Minister if I can step down from the government at the reshuffle and he has agreed. 1/5"
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Cleverley called in - the new HS?

Has anyone ever moved from FS to HS before ?
    I can't think of an example of an immediate switch in a cabinet reshuffle, but Palmerston was Home Secretary about a year after having been Foreign Secretary.
    Jim Callaghan went the other way, from Home to Foreign Secretary, but with a spell in Opposition in between.
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, it was a curious irony that the party that lvoed the idea of PR and coalitions forever turned out to be worse at handling the politics of coalition than the party that doesn't want to have them.

Shame, really, as the Coalition was mostly better than other Parliaments.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    edited November 2023
    Jonathan said:

If the Tories tack to the centre with unelected retreads and still lose, the headbangers own the future outright. It’s a big gamble.

They'll lose less if they can hold the centre more than they are currently doing.
    The Tories have to focus on damage limitation for the election. Not to win it.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    edited November 2023

It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if Osborne turned up as Chancellor, now, although Minister without portfolio is more likely.

I never get the feeling Osborne really misses being in frontline politics. I mean, if there’s anyone who can persuade him to come back it’s Cameron, but I’m highly doubtful, as much as the Tory All Stars* Cabinet would be a great story.

* your mileage may vary
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250
    edited November 2023

Of course the sensible Labour response would be to bring Blair, Brown, Balls, Mandelson etc back in formally...

EDIT - happily for the LibDems, the Cleggasm is not available.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Some suggestion that the MPC might hold rates at the current rate until late next year because services inflation is going to fall more slowly than the headline rate. I hope that this report has come from a financial illiterate and isn't actually reflective of the BoE outlook because services inflation is a hugely lagging indicator and tracks to wage rises which account for almost the entirety of input price inflation for services providers. If the CPI rate falls then wage rises fall and eventually services inflation follows.

If the BoE waits for services inflation to fall before cutting rates we're going to be in the shit and just as we were way, way too late and slow in raising rates we're going to be too late and slow in cutting them.

Andrew Bailey is going to cost the Tories an extra 30-40 seats they would probably otherwise hold onto with interest rates falling by April to May next year and down to ~3.5% by election time in October-December.

It is not the job of the BoE to protect the public from the government's mistakes.
    Nor is it their job to make avoidable mistakes. The B o E seems to view economic growth and wage rises as bad things.
    In any normal world the Governor would have been sacked over allowing inflation to rise to double figures and be above target for such a prolonged period.

Action too little too late and yet he is allowed to spout on its workers wanting a pay rise causing it.
    The mistake was allowing a Brexiteer to become Governer of the Bank of England. With judgement like that what did anyone expect?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Will Dave bring the same harmony and unity to the Middle East that he brought to the U.K.?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Of course the sensible Labour response would be to bring Blair, Brown, Balls, Mandelson etc back in formally...

So you mean they'll go for Corbyn?
  • Options
    Piss funny

Minister awkwardly reacts to Braverman sacking after backing PM's confidence in her moments before
    Armed forces minister James Heappey, who joined us earlier this morning on Sky News, was left to awkwardly react to news of Suella Braverman's sacking - having moments earlier outlined how the prime minister had confidence in her as home secretary.

Minutes before she was sacked, he told LBC that the prime minister and his team in Number 10 had been "very clear she [Ms Braverman] has his confidence and, in that sense, one would imagine that she will continue".

Moments later, however, he was told live on ITV's Good Morning Britain that she had been axed.

"Your viewers will be enjoying my discomfort," he said.

"But in this case [it is] difficult to offer commentary when I just don't know what is going on."
  • Options
    If Osbourne comes back (unlikely in my view) then the Tories will be back to austerity and away from culture wars - and nobody likes austerity any more (not that many people liked the culture wars). It would be admitting everything post the EU referendum was a failure (which at least would be some honesty from the Tories), and would almost certainly be the death knell for the party.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,843
    One would think a return of Cameron and the P45 for Braverman would help the Tories in the Blue Wall .
  • Options
    Cleverly is home secretary
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Gibb claims he jumped:

"Over the last few weeks I have been discussing taking up a diplomatic role after the general election. To enable me to do so I have asked the Prime Minister if I can step down from the government at the reshuffle and he has agreed. 1/5"

I can't see why Gibb would have been sacked if this reshuffle is seeing a shift to the centre. He will have resigned.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    If you'd asked me yesterday which Conservative figure was most likely to rejoin Rishi's government at a senior level, I would have had, in order, from likeliest to unlikeliest:

Boris
    Truss
    Osborne
    Major
    Winston Churchill
    Margaret Thatcher
    Cameron

Therefore I can't help but think it won't happen. for one thing, how quickly can he be chucked into the HoL?
  • Options

If you were offering me a battle between the Cameroons and the old NuLab lot, I would be absolutely bloomin delighted. Given how far our politics has sunk since then, they all look like utter titans.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    edited November 2023
    I suspect that the final nail in Braverman's coffin was hammered in by Tommy Robinson and his EDL mates on Saturday, which would be a rather delicious irony.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited November 2023
    Cleverly is not in favour of leaving ECHR which is absolutely correct, not least because of the effect on the WF and Good Friday Agreement

Sky suggesting Sunak is appointing his successor
  • Options

What's to stop anyone from this country moving anywhere they want in Europe ?

As far as I know the ports and airports still operate.

Go around the country and how have things changed since 2010 ? There's more housing and high streets look more run down than previously.

For all the hyperbole things have changed little for most people - oldies are richer and graduates have more debt, houses are more expensive but jobs are more plentiful.
  • Options

Long-standing PBers will know that I'm one of last few Cameron supporters, but my initial reaction to this news (assuming it is confirmed) is that I think it's a pity to have moved Cleverly, who has been particularly good as Foreign Sec and seems to have gained the confidence of foreign minsters around the world. Of course Cameron will also immediately be regarded as a serious figure, which will help.

It remains to be seen how he is received elsewhere but it probably helps that Merkel has left the scene. Trump getting back in might be a bit of a headache.
    If Trump gets back in, the name of the UK foreign sec will be the least of our (and the world's) problems.
  • Options

148grss said:

That's about right
    Most Tory backbenchers went to the wrong schools. To be serious, Rishi will need to watch the posho quota.
  • Options

@TheScreamingEagles might need some valium if GO comes back too.

GO would be brilliant in an enforcer role
  • Options

Austerity was inevitable, it wasn’t a choice.

Lest we forget Labour went into the 2010 general election promising deeper cuts than Thatcher.
    It's where the Conservatives chose to impose it that really sticks in the craw. Remember Pickles' 'revenue spending power' measure? Oddly, and I'm sure this wasn't deliberate, it was poorer Labour councils that saw the biggest cuts. Which they're still struggling with the impact of today.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1724000199507423509

NEW: arise Lord Call Me Dave

Sources confirm Cameron IS Foreign Sec

ITSSSSS HAPPPENINGGGGGGG!!!!
  • Options

If Trump gets back in, the name of the UK foreign sec will be the least of our (and the world's) problems.
    Well at least Dave would earn his money :smile:
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,289
    148grss said:

Leon said:

Actually, with AI you could appoint anyone you like anywhere from history. Thatcher to Home Sec. Richard the Lionheart as Foreign Secretary thanks to his deep experience of the Levant. Vlad “the Impaler” Dracul as Schools Minister. Moominpappa as Business Sec (one for the Mumsnet crowd, there). Anus McPenis - a completely fictitious failed Scottish punk star, invented by me 13 seconds ago - as Deputy PM

I mean, if you think this is currently possible or even potentially possible - I have a bridge in the metaverse I would love to sell you; it was designed by the same guy who made the most expensive bored ape
    It will soon be very possible

You’ll be able to create an utterly convincing 3D avatar of historical and fictional characters - convincing, that is, on a screen (which is where we see politicians anyway). Voice cloning will give them totally plausible voices - see the fake Starmer and Obama audios

AI can then be fed the entire intellectual output of these people - their writing, speeches, messages, memoirs, recorded conversations - and be told: think and act like this person

Et voila. The dead are born again. You could have a Cabinet comprised of Abe Lincoln, Winston Churchill, Mahatma Gandhi, JFK, Elizabeth I, and Augustus Caesar

Mad but true
  • Options
    Bringing back Cameron after sacking Braverman is basically a Sunak declaration of war on the ERG. If he'd done it a year ago he might have won some credit. I doubt he will now.
  • Options

Cameron probably needs the money after the Greensill debacle.
  • Options

If you'd asked me yesterday which Conservative figure was most likely to rejoin Rishi's government at a senior level, I would have had, in order, from likeliest to unlikeliest:

Boris
    Truss
    Osborne
    Major
    Winston Churchill
    Margaret Thatcher
    Cameron

Therefore I can't help but think it won't happen. for one thing, how quickly can he be chucked into the HoL?

It happened pretty quickly for Mandelson when he returned as Business Secretary - ten days from reshuffle to introduction in the Lords.
  • Options
    Cameron has a second chance to reverse his dismal legacy.
  • Options
    As commentators have been pointing out on the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, Cameron's outspoken criticism of Rishi's HS2 stance would make this .. interesting.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

If you were offering me a battle between the Cameroons and the old NuLab lot, I would be absolutely bloomin delighted. Given how far our politics has sunk since then, they all look like utter titans.
    New Labour only look like Titans or even moderately acceptable because they had a much more benign economic environment. They depended on spending the money the Conservative economic reforms had generated. Once the economy turned nasty, they collapsed pretty quickly.
  • Options

Bringing back Cameron after sacking Braverman is basically a Sunak declaration of war on the ERG. If he'd done it a year ago he might have won some credit. I doubt he will now.

Sunak moves as Farage heads to Im a celeb
  • Options

Hahahahaha

Britain never played its role at the heart fo Europe. Because it never had such a role. It was always rightly at odds with the scope and direction of the EU. The biggest mistake we ever made was abandoning the sensible policy of trying to keep Europe divided a la Humphrey Appleby.
  • Options

Lord Pigf*cker of Bullingdon
  • Options
    Leon said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

You’ll be able to create an utterly convincing 3D avatar of historical and fictional characters - convincing, that is, on a screen (which is where we see politicians anyway). Voice cloning will give them totally plausible voices - see the fake Starmer and Obama audios

AI can then be fed the entire intellectual output of these people - their writing, speeches, messages, memoirs, recorded conversations - and be told: think and act like this person

Et voila. The dead are born again. You could have a Cabinet comprised of Abe Lincoln, Winston Churchill, Mahatma Gandhi, JFK, Elizabeth I, and Augustus Caesar

Mad but true
    No, you will have a simulacrum of them that is able to do a good impression - it is much more Madam Tussaud's or the Disney Hall of Presidents then it is a real person or intellect. AI is a parrot (with no disrespect to the actual intelligence of parrots) that can learn a script, and a style of writing, that is all. It cannot create. You can give it the works of Lincoln or Churchill and what it will churn out will maybe sound real, but it won't mean anything.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

How can Cameron be Foreign Secretary if he isn't an MP or even in the House of Lords now?
  • Options

The Change Candidate strategy has clearly been dropped. Agree about Cleverley. This will raise his profile. Sunak probably thinking about a successor. Cleverley looks by far the best choice.

• Options
    What price David Cameron as next leader of the Conservative Party?
  • Options
    Call Me Dave's financial affairs back into the spotlight then.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

How can Cameron be Foreign Secretary if he isn't an MP or even in the House of Lords now?
    He gets a peerage
  • Options
    Labour quite quick off the mark this morning, with an email on Braverman's sacking out to all members. The text includes:
    They're so desperate, there are even rumours that David Cameron may come back as Foreign Secretary!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    I thought the messaging from Rishi was that he was somehow going to position himself as the change candidate. Isn't bringing back Dave kinda reminding everyone that this is, in fact, the same party that's been in charge for 13 years. Also, were there not any MPs good enough for the job?
  • Options

Boris
    Truss
    Osborne
    Major
    Winston Churchill
    Margaret Thatcher
    Cameron

It happened pretty quickly for Mandelson when he returned as Business Secretary - ten days from reshuffle to introduction in the Lords.
    It would need to be done in a few days. Mandelson steadied the ship but still didn't stop Brown's election defeat
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Wouldn’t he need to now resign from the Lords, to stand again for the Commons at the election?
  • Options
    Mr. Leon, while this ended, I think, with Augustus, older Roman statues were made to be genuine representations of the individual in question so AI could, perhaps, 'bring to life' such Romans in a way not possible with most people from history.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited November 2023

Ye, it'd be a bit like Biden appointing Clinton (H) as Sec of State again, everyone knows who they are instantly.
  • Options

He didn't lose any money from that - he made several million quid off it. The public lost a fair bit, but Just Call Me Dave was alright.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    edited November 2023

Boris
    Truss
    Osborne
    Major
    Winston Churchill
    Margaret Thatcher
    Cameron

In a millisecond at the PM’s whim. He’s doesn’t technically even need to be at all, but he will be.
  • Options

REJOICE
  • Options
    MuesliMuesli Posts: 91
    It’s the old issue of focusing on tactics rather than strategy yet again.

Bringing David Cameron back will seize the short term headlines and serve as a distraction from the Suella Braverman farrago.

Over the longer term though, having David Cameron in a high profile cabinet role will surely just highlight what a political pygmy Rishi Sunak is in comparison? It’s a bit like having Lionel Messi on the bench and Lionel Blair on the pitch. Risky move.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    nico679 said:

One would think a return of Cameron and the P45 for Braverman would help the Tories in the Blue Wall .

Only if gains from Labour and the LDs outweigh further leakage to ReformUK
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

Go around the country and how have things changed since 2010 ? There's more housing and high streets look more run down than previously.

For all the hyperbole things have changed little for most people - oldies are richer and graduates have more debt, houses are more expensive but jobs are more plentiful.
    "Freedom of Movement" tends to refer to the right of an EU citizen go an exercise economic rights (i.e. live and work) in any member state. It doesn't refer to the ability to spend a week's holiday. As you well know.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He will be ennobled soon.

Just like Mandy in 2008.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Just like Mandy in 2008.
    Whens Nick Clegg coming back ?
  • Options
    148grss said:

Leon said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

Mad but true
    No, you will have a simulacrum of them that is able to do a good impression - it is much more Madam Tussaud's or the Disney Hall of Presidents then it is a real person or intellect. AI is a parrot (with no disrespect to the actual intelligence of parrots) that can learn a script, and a style of writing, that is all. It cannot create. You can give it the works of Lincoln or Churchill and what it will churn out will maybe sound real, but it won't mean anything.
    I’m torn here

You’re entirely wrong but you’re SO wrong it’s clear you have no idea what you’re talking about and you wouldn’t even understand if I tried to explain

So, meh
  • Options
    Fishing said:

New Labour only look like Titans or even moderately acceptable because they had a much more benign economic environment. They depended on spending the money the Conservative economic reforms had generated. Once the economy turned nasty, they collapsed pretty quickly.
    Maybe, but they did have 13 years in power before they "collapsed pretty quickly".
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    As light relief before the next announcement, this is worth a watch, just for the sheer WTF.

Live streaming in China is so insane.

This woman is known for promoting the products she sells for less than 3 seconds each.

On average she sells ~$19 million USD of products per week.

https://twitter.com/mrexits/status/1723790074679091626
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Gibb claims he jumped:

There may be more of this in the junior ranks as ministers look to start the Acoba clock on well-paid jobs after the election.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Just like Mandy in 2008.
    Sky saying it can be done almost as soon as Sunak makes his request to the King
  • Options
    I will be campaigning for the Tories at the next general election.
  • Options
    OK so who had a 1000-1 punt on this?
  • Options
    Leon said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

Mad but true
    So much to say about this:

"Convincing" is an interesting concept with historical figures, and increasingly so as you go back into history. What did Elizabeth 1st actually look like? Or (say) Shakespeare? What were their mannerisms? And it might be that you put the *real* EI or Shakespeare onto screen and it would seem fake; because everything was so different back then. Therefore the bar for 'convincing' is set more by current depictions of them on screen, than by what, and who, they actually were.

Foe someone like Caesar, it's even more marked, as we know relatively little about him (compared to what is needed to produce anything like what he would have thought).

Then there's the available text. LLM's require vast amounts of data t produce their results, and even the combined works of Shakespeare would not produce much that was good. Instead, you would have to merge it in with other contemporary and modern data. Which might mean it's more convincing, as it'd contain hints to modernity. But the ML would still not be thinking or acting like that person.
  • Options

Hahahahaha

Britain never played its role at the heart fo Europe. Because it never had such a role. It was always rightly at odds with the scope and direction of the EU. The biggest mistake we ever made was abandoning the sensible policy of trying to keep Europe divided a la Humphrey Appleby.
    'The biggest mistake we ever made was abandoning the sensible policy of trying to keep Europe divided a la Humphrey Appleby'

Delusional.

You're a superb poster in many ways but on Brexit you're a crank. A utopian. A naif. Reactionaries like you and others on here held us back with your jingoism, your xenophobia and your misguided English exceptionalism. Our European clout is long gone, and people like you have only diminished us further. History will not be kind.
  • Options

He must only be doing it for two reasons.

(1) It polls well in saving seats and (2) He calculates the ERG are a busted flush and in no position to challenge him.

First politically ballsy thing I've seen Sunak do in a long time.
    Yes I too admire the audacity. However it is ALSO a sign of total desperation, and he’s guaranteed trouble from the Tory right and RefUK - for the future

I don’t think it will save him, and it means a civil war for the Tories down the line. But at least it’s interesting
  • Options
    Isn't it a complete shambles now?

Why doesn't Rishi call the GE now and put everyone out of their misery??
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,979
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

As light relief before the next announcement, this is worth a watch, just for the sheer WTF.

Live streaming in China is so insane.

This woman is known for promoting the products she sells for less than 3 seconds each.

On average she sells ~$19 million USD of products per week.

https://twitter.com/mrexits/status/1723790074679091626

Max Headroom did it better:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blipvert
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Wouldn’t he need to now resign from the Lords, to stand again for the Commons at the election?
    No, he could do it the other way round based on the Douglas-Home precedent. Get elected leader and then step down from the Lords to fight a safe seat.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    HYUFD said:

There is presumably some sort of emergency ennoblement kept on the shelf for such situations.
  • Options

Isn't it a complete shambles now?

Why doesn't Rishi call the GE now and put everyone out of their misery??

Maybe that's his next trick?
  • Options

REJOICE
    I await with eager anticipation your next header:

Dave: The Saviour of the Nation
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    DougSeal said:

"Freedom of Movement" tends to refer to the right of an EU citizen go an exercise economic rights (i.e. live and work) in any member state. It doesn't refer to the ability to spend a week's holiday. As you well know.
    Well yes, but it was only ever a tiny minority who went to work in another EU country. And it is only a minority of those who would want to who now cannot.
    Of the practical difficulties of moving abroad, whether or not freedom of movement applies is small beer. Realistically, 90% are just not going to work in the EU because they are monoglot Anglophones. And of the other 10%, if they have the skills, a way around the bureaucracy will be found, just as it would if they were to emigrate to Australia or New Zealand.
  • Options
    So Rishi wins the next election and falls under a bus shortly thereafter and Dave succeeds him.

It is on.
  • Options
    Leon said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

Mad but true
    I’m torn here

You’re entirely wrong but you’re SO wrong it’s clear you have no idea what you’re talking about and you wouldn’t even understand if I tried to explain

So, meh
    Yes, that's such a clear argument you made there, much like your "my IQ is too high for PBers to understand me" position and the constant sourcing of Oli London - it makes it very clear that your opinions are very well informed.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,218

Surely Opposition parties wouldn't dare bring up Greensill in any election campaign.
  • Options

When my MP asked me what it would take to get me to vote Tory again, I hadn't realised that my answers would have such a dramatic effect.

Your reaction and that of @TheScreamingEagles sort of shows why he's done it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

He must only be doing it for two reasons.

(1) It polls well in saving seats and (2) He calculates the ERG are a busted flush and in no position to challenge him.

First politically ballsy thing I've seen Sunak do in a long time.
    Yes I too admire the audacity. However it is ALSO a sign of total desperation, and he’s guaranteed trouble from the Tory right and RefUK - for the future

I don’t think it will save him, and it means a civil war for the Tories down the line. But at least it’s interesting
    It does - and positions the cabinet quite far to the left of the membership, who will be selecting a *lot* of new candidates at the next GE as more and more Gibb types step down.
This discussion has been closed.