Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After yesterday’s dramatic Scottish polls LAB braces itself

Comments

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    edited October 2014
    PAW said:

I have to admit to feeling contempt for the Yorkshire voters.

Which in turn is a pretty contemptible narrow minded comment.
    Is this another new group for UKIPers to hate? South Yorkshire voters? The list seems endless.
  • Options
    Don't forget a survation poll for UKIP on Rotherham recently found Lab increasing their share of the vote.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Don't forget. The UKIP candidate was an ex South Yorks copper, guilt by association.

More guilty by association than Labour?

I'm struggling to comprehend this result.
    UKIP do best in places where there aren't many actual immigrants.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Do you have any numbers to show that would be helpful to the Tories rather than harmful?

No. However large postal vote numbers seems to crop more in Labour wins and there have been suggestions that "block votes" for turning a blind eye to "cultural practices" is more common in Labour areas. Combine that with what a judge once referred to as postal voting being an electoral system that would shame a banana republic and it seems to me that there is enough anecdotal evidence to show that the only safe way to vote is to force people to go to the Polling Station.

Combine that with the known propensity of older (aka tory) voters to actually go and vote and I would have thought that the tories could have rebalanced some of their electoral chances.

Was EdM really going to object to getting rid of easily abused voting systems? It would be PR gold-dust if he did.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 29s29 seconds ago
    Even better number crunch: *other parties put together* must lead @AlanBillingsPCC by 5,240 to take it to second round
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Flightpath - no, it is definitely contempt.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Ninoinoz said:

Don't forget. The UKIP candidate was an ex South Yorks copper, guilt by association.

Guilt by association? Sure you want to go there, Mr. Eagles?
    You go there if you want to.
    You are already there, Mr.Eagles.
  • Options

Looks like a clear Labour win. Alan Billings was a very good candidate and I think Ed should be grateful to him.

UKIP also overplayed their hand.

Take a look at their MEP and Rotherham candidate Twitter feed from last night.

They managed to alienate the people they needed with their nasty campaign.
    Yes, that's right. I just think Billings came across as much more reasonable.
    The whole tone was if you don't vote UKIP you're a paedo enabler.

As one of the parents of abused child said the other day. People forget that Rotherham hasn't exploded in race riots following recent events because people know it was a small minority.

Some in UKIP would have you believe all Pakis are paedos.
    "Some in UKIP would have you believe all Pakis are paedos."

Who exactly? Time to name names.
    Check out some Twitter feeds or the comment sections under the telegraph or the mail.

There's a quote saying that "all Pakis are paedos" from an official UKIP source? Please link.

Or just the usual smearing and innuendo that passes for political debate these days.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Correction - this is SOUTH Yorkshire!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=People's_Republic_of_South_Yorkshire
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    dr_spyn said:

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 1m1 minute ago
    Excellent number crunch RT @220_d_92_20: UKIP need to lead Labour by 5,240 votes in Rotherham or else @AlanBillingsPCC wins on first count

That's not right. I've not done the numbers myself but I suspect Labour needs to get within 5240 of the combined total of the other parties to win on the first count. Con and ED votes count against Lab hitting 50% too.
  • Options

More guilty by association than Labour?

I'm struggling to comprehend this result.
    South Yorkshire police have been hated for decades.

From Orgreave which still antagonises people.

Also Hillsborough doesn't put them in a good light.
    And the latest was the reported prioritising of car crime over child rape.
    As I said UKIP overplayed their hand on that.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983

Looks like a clear Labour win. Alan Billings was a very good candidate and I think Ed should be grateful to him.

As one of the parents of abused child said the other day. People forget that Rotherham hasn't exploded in race riots following recent events because people know it was a small minority.

Check out some Twitter feeds or the comment sections under the telegraph or the mail.

There's a quote saying that "all Pakis are paedos" from an official UKIP source? Please link.

Or just the usual smearing and innuendo that passes for political debate these days.
    It's been said by TSE now, and no doubt given he edits the site, it will be allowed to linger, and gradually be assumed to be said by a Kipper for as long as he and Mike dislike UKIP
  • Options

I work off Deansgate and have a flat nearby.

But I reside mostly in Sheffield.

That is quite a commute. I got lost coming back from Sheffield, missed the Snake Pass turn and wound up in a place called "Genocide". A different road later revealed that some wag had painted out an 'r' and it was Grenocide. Nonetheless, I was worried... you hear about these out-of-the-way places....... pentacles on the pub walls and Brian Glover standing in the local cemetry.
  • Options
    To be honest, if I was Fargle, I would be very relieved if UKIP come a good second.

The last thing I would want six months before the general election is my first actual exercise of power being that poisoned chalice with the eyes of the nations press on it.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    PAW said:

After the uprising of the 17th of June
    The Secretary of the Writers' Union
    Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
    Stating that the people
    Had forfeited the confidence of the government
    And could win it back only
    By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier
    In that case for the government
    To dissolve the people
    And elect another?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I entered Labour on 7.83% as I recall so may have underestimated the win.

It would be interesting to see how the second prefs break. Are these published if it doesnt go to these?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420

AndyJS said:

Totals without Rotherham:

Lab 59,054 (52.3%)
    UKIP 32,675 (28.9%)
    C 14,600 (12.9%)
    ED 6,539 (5.8%)

So it all depends on how much labour are defeated by in Rotherham and how many of the ED and C voters put 2 against UKIP.
    UKIP would need a Clactonesque result in Rotherham to be in with a shout now. It won't happen. A second round should, though I'd be surprised if the number of transferable Con and ED votes would be sufficient to see UKIP over the line even if they got them all, given that there'll be leakage to abstentions (and in any case, they won't get them all).
  • Options

That is quite a commute. I got lost coming back from Sheffield, missed the Snake Pass turn and wound up in a place called "Genocide". A different road later revealed that some wag had painted out an 'r' and it was Grenocide. Nonetheless, I was worried... you hear about these out-of-the-way places....... pentacles on the pub walls and Brian Glover standing in the local cemetry.
    You could always end up in Hadfield too, better known as Royston Vasey from 'The League of Gentleman'.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I entered Labour on 7.83% as I recall so may have underestimated the win.

It would be interesting to see how the second prefs break. Are these published if it doesnt go to these?

I think they don't even bother to count them if they're not required, unlike in Australia.
  • Options

You could always end up in Hadfield too, better known as Royston Vasey from 'The League of Gentleman'.
    "This is a local election for local people! There's nothing for you here!"
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    If Labour manage to keep their 16k voters from Rotherham in 2012 then they should be over the 50% line I think. Difficult to see UKIP even managing to push the vote to 2nd prefs now.

Are 2nd prefs counted automatically or will we never find out if Labour win outright?
  • Options

Nothing for UKIP here, it seems.
  • Options

next to The Slaughtered Lamb ph.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    dr_spyn said:

Beat me to it!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Rotherham, in isolation, is the one that really matters for UKIP.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    JonathanD said:

If Labour manage to keep their 16k voters from Rotherham in 2012 then they should be over the 50% line I think. Difficult to see UKIP even managing to push the vote to 2nd prefs now.

Are 2nd prefs counted automatically or will we never find out if Labour win outright?

If Labour get over 50% 1st preferences then they've won outright, haven't they?
  • Options
    If UKIP don't win this SYPCC, are the Tories value in Rochester again?
  • Options

JonathanD said:

If Labour get over 50% 1st preferences then they've won outright, haven't they?
    Yes
  • Options

I wouldn't dare..... of course I am no gentleman so maybe that helps

Classic. Alas that these days Brian Glover actually IS in a cemetry.... somewhere.
  • Options
    The best is certainly being saved for last, ie. Rotherham.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    antifrank said:

It might be safer for them that way. Every elected UKIP representative is a potential April hatchet job in the press.
  • Options
    Tories ahead 33/32 in latest Yougov poll?

https://twitter.com/Markfergusonuk/status/527955332270923778
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    isam said:

You could say that UKIP are defending Rochester as the MP there is already UKIP.
  • Options
    isam said:

Absolutely not. The similarities between South Yorkshire and Rochester must be close to nil.
  • Options
    isam said:

I don't see much connection, other than one of the media narrative.

This has been an example of very poor expectations management by UKIP.

To see how to do it properly, look at Nick P's posts!
  • Options
    isam said:

I don't see the two as particularly connected. This election is a reality check on UKIP's prospects against Labour in the north. I'm not sure it tells us very much about UKIP's prospects against the Conservatives in the south.
  • Options

Classic. Alas that these days Brian Glover actually IS in a cemetry.... somewhere.
    Saddleworth Moor? Can be a bit spooky at times!
  • Options
    edited October 2014

http://www.youtube.com
    /watch?v=07FdVcspOfQ

Could this be he pub with a pentangle next to a cemetery?
  • Options
    isam said:

On the face of it, maybe. But I think we have to assume that the tightening of UKIP's price this week is not unrelated to the Survation poll that took place 27th-28th October.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

isam said:

You could say that UKIP are defending Rochester as the MP there is already UKIP.
    Haha

You could do if you were a complete f*cking idiot!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

dr_spyn said:

Beat me to it!

Oh dear... what have I started?

• Options
    Apparently Labour have won first preferences in Rotherham.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited October 2014
    Ha! We've a place down here called Nomansland. And WorldsEnd

All we need now is a man with a placard saying The End Is Nigh. Where've they gone to? I haven't seen one in yrs.

• Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 44s45 seconds ago
    Labour take Rotherham on first preferences.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Britain Elects @britainelects · 1m 1 minute ago
    Labour take Rotherham on first preferences
  • Options
    For the purposes of the PB competition, the winning margin will be completely different if there's a second round than if there is not!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

I don't see the two as particularly connected. This election is a reality check on UKIP's prospects against Labour in the north. I'm not sure it tells us very much about UKIP's prospects against the Conservatives in the south.
    Oh lads! I was teasing.. as if it makes a blind bit of difference
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 2m2 minutes ago

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Please let there be a second round. There's far more interesting info in that.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,005

isam said:

I don't see much connection, other than one of the media narrative.

This has been an example of very poor expectations management by UKIP.

To see how to do it properly, look at Nick P's posts!
    Yes, a true master. You can tell he's a child of '97!
  • Options

Please let there be a second round. There's far more interesting info in that.

Mine's a pint of xxxx.
  • Options
    UKIP fail in Rotherham.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    New Job for you!

Would be a sensation on Eastbourne prom walking among the pensioners.
    Plato said:

All we need now is a man with a placard saying The End Is Nigh. Where've they gone to? I haven't seen one in yrs.

• Options

Link please!
  • Options
    NIN22NIN22 Posts: 7
    Good Lord, what would it take for people in the area to vote against Labour in a PCC election if not this child abuse scandal :/
  • Options
    NIN22 said:

Good Lord, what would it take for people in the area to vote against Labour in a PCC election if not this child abuse scandal :/

Haven't seen the final Rotherham results but Labour may actually have increased their vote there.
  • Options
    NIN22 said:

Taxi driver vote.
  • Options

Saddleworth Moor? Can be a bit spooky at times!

dr_spyn said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07FdVcspOfQ

Could this be he pub with a pentangle next to a cemetery?

And more....

I remember once derailing one of Mike's thread by posting about things in my kitchen and my favourite vegetables. That one got badly out of control.

PS - Thank you for the classic clip.
  • Options
    Pakistan declare on 570-6. Australie 21-1
  • Options
    NIN22 said:

Well a large percentage of the population in that area have reason not to want a party that might investigate to be in charge
  • Options
    Plato said:

There's an Elmer's End in south London - you can even get the train from London Bridge to there:
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Elmers_End_station#mediaviewer/File:Elmers_End_stn_signage.JPG
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

NIN22 said:

Haven't seen the final Rotherham results but Labour may actually have increased their vote there.
    No LD candidate this time.
  • Options
    NIN22 said:

Well, having a copper as the alternative might not have been that helpful. It's a shame there wasn't a decent independent, in the circumstances.
  • Options
    I'd need to look like Russel Brand to make a success of it. I'm very B&W when it comes to Winning Here.
    Financier said:

New Job for you!

Would be a sensation on Eastbourne prom walking among the pensioners.

Plato said:

• Options
    JonathanD said:

Looks like Labour are making slightly more Ed-way than anticipated...
  • Options
    Someone has tweeted that Labour has avoided a second round by 0.02%.

Recount surely?
  • Options
    So, in the end is it only Doncaster where Labour were under 50%? Must be the particular magic of Ed.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    NIN22 said:

It's not as though many people even voted for Labour. They've received the votes of a bit more than 7% of the electorate.
  • Options
    Indeed. Something I can't comprehend.
    NIN22 said:

• Options
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 1m1 minute ago
    Close but no cigar for Farage. RT @Markfergusonuk: Labour wins Rotherham by 800 votes and avoids 2nd round of voting by 0.02%!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Recount surely?

Why? Does anyone seriously think that if it's 0.02% the other way that UKIP will overhaul Labour?
  • Options

So, in the end is it only Doncaster where Labour were under 50%? Must be the particular magic of Ed.

They'll be under 50% in Rotherham too if that 0.02% quote is accurate
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,786
    Plato said:

I remain eternally perplexed that anyone other than a very recent newbie cannot know my gender. As if it mattered much.

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

Would it be okay if these jobs were down mines instead? In Durham? Or Merthyr?

Low paid jobs are unskilled ones because we have people either too stupid or too lazy to get higher paying ones. It was always thus.

I’m replying to a couple of eaerlier comments; sadly to reply direcdtly takes the post over the word limit.
    Mr Felix’ comment about “millions of new jobs” doesn’t take into account that that headline figure obscures the fact that too many of these jobs are low-wage or zero-hours contracts, or, worse, both. It is to be hoped that the Government will do something about ZHC’s but time is running out before the election.

Mr Financier, that raises an interesting question for our Kipper friends. How are they going to square that circle? Clearly the current policy of insisting that claimants have a good reason for turning down jobs isn’t working, in your locality at least. Why not?

Plato seems to me to be somewhat misanthropic. Last night he declared he liked to blow raspberries in the face of people who don't share his misanthropic humour. Today he says the poor are thick. I can only presume he is rich and employed in a wonderfully well paid job, and deserves every penny. What job do you have Plato?
    *she
    Yesterdays comment on something like the temptations of Lesbianism may have been a small clue
    That poster (or some iteration thereof) once fretted no end about my gender - which I guess is a diversion from their tiresome posts about whether people are following their betting tips.....
  • Options

No, if Labour only won Rotherham by 800 votes they would have been below 50%.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

Do you have any numbers to show that would be helpful to the Tories rather than harmful?

No. However large postal vote numbers seems to crop more in Labour wins and there have been suggestions that "block votes" for turning a blind eye to "cultural practices" is more common in Labour areas. Combine that with what a judge once referred to as postal voting being an electoral system that would shame a banana republic and it seems to me that there is enough anecdotal evidence to show that the only safe way to vote is to force people to go to the Polling Station.

Combine that with the known propensity of older (aka tory) voters to actually go and vote and I would have thought that the tories could have rebalanced some of their electoral chances.

Was EdM really going to object to getting rid of easily abused voting systems? It would be PR gold-dust if he did.
    The Northern Irish system needs to be transplanted to the mainland. Labour won't like that, suspect it cost the Conservatives a majority last time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/10/24/could-non-citizens-decide-the-november-election/
  • Options
    Plato said:

Brilliant!

I rather liked discovering that Dull in Scotland is twinned with Boring in Oregon - or possibly the other way round.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

JonathanD said:

NIN22 said:

No LD candidate this time.
    Tbf. They don't tend to have the impact they once had!
  • Options
    Bell End, Stourbridge, Worcestershire DY9.

Perhaps the locals want to change the name.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    antifrank said:

AndyJS said:

Recount surely?

Why? Does anyone seriously think that if it's 0.02% the other way that UKIP will overhaul Labour?
    In theory it could be.

I doubt the standard is what might reasonably be the case.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    These postal votes seem very dubious to me. Completely agree with the comments below that we should dramatically curtail the system.

• Options
    FalseFlag said:

The Northern Irish system needs to be transplanted to the mainland. Labour won't like that, suspect it cost the Conservatives a majority last time.
    /

I used to live in Northern Ireland and always voted under PR. Coming to the mainland and only getting an 'X' felt like such a downgrade.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    NIN22 - they must be the most worthless people in the world. In Lozells a rape of a small Black girl by Pakistani shop keepers caused an explosion of anger - at least it was heard.
  • Options
    Well quite. Though your avatar looks like Alistair Sim playing a St Trinian's role. I can see the confusion there - or @audreyanne‌ and Mrs Doubtfire.

@Beverley_C‌ and shoes is much clearer as a piss take.

Plato said:

I remain eternally perplexed that anyone other than a very recent newbie cannot know my gender. As if it mattered much.

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

Low paid jobs are unskilled ones because we have people either too stupid or too lazy to get higher paying ones. It was always thus.

I’m replying to a couple of eaerlier comments; sadly to reply direcdtly takes the post over the word limit.
    Mr Felix’ comment about “millions of new jobs” doesn’t take into account that that headline figure obscures the fact that too many of these jobs are low-wage or zero-hours contracts, or, worse, both. It is to be hoped that the Government will do something about ZHC’s but time is running out before the election.

Mr Financier, that raises an interesting question for our Kipper friends. How are they going to square that circle? Clearly the current policy of insisting that claimants have a good reason for turning down jobs isn’t working, in your locality at least. Why not?

Plato seems to me to be somewhat misanthropic. Last night he declared he liked to blow raspberries in the face of people who don't share his misanthropic humour. Today he says the poor are thick. I can only presume he is rich and employed in a wonderfully well paid job, and deserves every penny. What job do you have Plato?
    *she
    Yesterdays comment on something like the temptations of Lesbianism may have been a small clue
    That poster (or some iteration thereof) once fretted no end about my gender - which I guess is a diversion from their tiresome posts about whether people are following their betting tips.....
  • Options

FalseFlag said:

/

I used to live in Northern Ireland and always voted under PR. Coming to the mainland and only getting an 'X' felt like such a downgrade.
    As I said last night, I voted against AV in 2011 purely because STV wasn't on offer.
  • Options

I'll dig out the links over the weekend.

But it has been brought to my attention that one Kipper on this very board said that I was an establishment Tory and then said of Establishment Tories

"Establishment Tories and Establishment Labour have a symbiotic relationship - large numbers of their votes depend on a fear of the other.

So what neither want is the other to lose their heartland support.

And if that means thousands of children continue to be raped then that's deemed a price worth paying."

Pretty vile smear ain't it.

Of course I'll be able to find a post from you condemning such a vile smear.

• Options
    antifrank said:

AndyJS said:

Recount surely?

That's a value judgement, I thought election counts were supposed to be about following procedures.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,786
    Let the spinning commence!

George Eaton: Comfortable Labour victory over UKIP in South Yorkshire PCC election gives party neat contrast with Rochester.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,380
    edited October 2014
    Plato said:

Well quite. Though your avatar looks like Alistair Sim playing a St Trinian's role. I can see the confusion there - or @audreyanne‌ and Mrs Doubtfire.

Plato said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

*she
    Carlotta's avatar is actually Marie Dressler in Dinner at Eight!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Dressler
  • Options
    If the 800 vote win and 0.02% outright lead are correct then I'd calculate that in Rotherham Labour got just under 16000 and UKIP just over 15000.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

antifrank said:

AndyJS said:

Recount surely?

That's a value judgement, I thought election counts were supposed to be about following procedures.
    Doesn't someone have to ask for a recount?
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    antifrank said:

isam said:

Agreed although I'd slightly qualify that by noting that with no LD candidate and a lot of people not voting and/or disapproving of party political candidates or voting because of the personal qualities of the Labour candidate extrapolating these figures is slightly more risky than usual.
  • Options
    NIN22 said:

Well, considering that one of the allegations floating around was that community leaders would guarantee large block votes, to have a large postal ballot result must look just a touch dodgy?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

These postal votes seem very dubious to me. Completely agree with the comments below that we should dramatically curtail the system.

It is half term in these neck of the woods so that is explanation for the higher postal votes this time.
  • Options
    An interesting and I may say very surprising development in South Yorkshire. It would seem the Ukip brand is nothing like as strong in the northern citadels as I thought. This may have implications for wagering. But it's hard to draw too many conclusions from such a deeply derisory turnout. It might be better for all involved if we abandoned the PCC polls. They haven't caught on.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Plato said:

Excuse me?

Those are my shoes.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Why haven't we got the count yet? If the margin is so small it mus be based on the actual count.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    This result has probably saved Ed Miliband's job.
  • Options
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh · 1 min1 minute ago
    Lab source: "Farage sd he was putting his tanks on our lawn. We took Ukip on + won. Let's see if Cameron can do same in Rochester"

As spin lines go, this seems pretty reasonable to me.
This discussion has been closed.