Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

They’re trolling us now. – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,469

Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    He doesn't really, though.
    He really does, as does Deschamps

French Twitter is convinced. This is weird and intrusive from Macron, it looks bad, creepy and patronising
    I agree it's rather cringeworthy from Macron.
    At best he's shamelessly trying to milk photo-ops from his "sympathy" for the players - to the extent of discomforting them. At worst there is something genuinely homo-erotic going on and - in his no doubt sincere emotion (it was an incredible game) - he does not realise that he is crossing several lines in front of cameras

And the speech to the team is pure wince

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,335
    biggles said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Really its just a shame Musk cannot run for US President, as he's clearly the right person to spend an entire presidency and aftermath on winding people up on twitter.

Musk versus Trump would be funny, in a terrifying sort of way.
    Musk one of the only people who could infuriate Trump by saying 'I am much richer than you!'
    Although there are rumours most of us could actually say that to Trump at the moment...
    As the old saying goes, if you owe the bank £10k it’s your problem, but if you owe it £10Bn then it’s the bank’s problem.
    Or as Morgan Kelly memorably put it:

'The ECB can learn the basic economic truth that when you lend €160 billion to insolvent banks backed by an insolvent state, you are no longer a creditor: you are the owner.'
  • Options
    Twitter's star intern might be out on his ear come Monday....

You can’t run a country or company by banning discussion of leaving, you have to just provide a better service. This will backfire.

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1604598789691518976
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Paul Graham, one of the smarter posters on Twitter, with over 1m followers (and who defended Musk’s takeover a month ago), has given up.

His post saying nothing more than “you can find my new mastodon link on my personal website” had his account suspended.
  • Options
    Re Elon at the footy....did he get money for his twitter buy-out from Saudi / Qatar? Wonder if he has gone to ask for some (more) pennies?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Paul Graham, one of the smarter posters on Twitter, with over 1m followers (and who defended Musk’s takeover a month ago), has given up.

His post saying nothing more than “you can find my new mastodon link on my personal website” had his account suspended.

He's hedging though:
    https://mas.to/@paulg/109536542792559441
  • Options
    If Elon's erratic behaviour is aimed at getting people talking about twitter, it seems to be working on PB at least.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Nigelb said:

He's hedging though:
    https://mas.to/@paulg/109536542792559441
    I know, what a doofus. He did say that before he got suspended though.

His snivelling deference to Musk I put down to sunk cost fallacy after he did his "Lol idiots, Musk makes rocket ships go zoom - how hard can running a social network be" posts.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    edited December 2022
    I do wonder whether this lesson in how quickly a social network can fall apart will/should impact on the valuation of Meta, for example.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,561

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

It'll be interesting to see if this applies to historic posts (i.e. those that contained links in the past). Will they suddenly be removed or made invisible?

in fact, it'd be interesting to know how long a twitter post remains 'current' (i.e. how long after a twitter post is made before it is rarely seen). I'm guessing a couple of days for most posts, and shorter if someone regularly tweets.
    Funny who is and isn’t included. Discord, TikTok, YouTube, Reddit, Tumblr and OnlyFans all fine.
    The banned list is of all the social media sites which might be a rival to Twitter by replicating at least some of its main model. YouTube and OnlyFans do not do that
    Question is whether Elon Musk ran it past the legal department (assuming he's not sacked it) regarding (a) monopoly and (b) publisher versus platform.
    *If* Twitter is the big boy in this particular social media space, then it does seem anticompetitive - other sites can feed into Twitter, but Twitter will not allow links to smaller potential rivals, allowing them to grow. Although as Facebook and Instagram are on the list, that might not be the case. But are FB and Instagram in the *same* space?

Will Facebook and Instagram respond in kind?

It'll be interesting to see how this works out, both legally and business-wise. But on a personal level, I quite like the Internet being as open as possible. If other companies do the same, we'll go further down the road of content walled gardens. And I think that's a bad thing.
    Other sites already do this. You can't put URLs into an Insta post, for instance. You can't link through to other sites. Vastly frustrating and of course deliberate
    World governments need to start regulating this stuff properly. Either you are a publisher or you are a platform. Platforms should have to be neutral and, over a certain size, should face regulation like a utility, ensuring they are treating people fairly. America won't do it, as their system is owned by corporate interest, but the EU and UK should step up.

What is very sad is how much HMG bows to the interests of a handful of monopolists even though they don't benefit that much from political donations. It's a pure subservience mentality.
    Being neutral does not mean you have to allow people to advertise your competitors. And frankly world governements have to regulate this stuff? Really I wouldnt trust any governement to regulate the internet thats when we get the shit we do like the uk's online safety bill, the us KOSA act, the EU copyright and DSA acts and the austrailians declaring the law of mathematics does not trump the laws of australia
    All of those are better than the world's information flows being distorted by the whims of the Elon Musks of the world. Democratic governments are held accountable to public elections. Megalomanic billionaires are held accountable to no-one.
    Also, no-one is requiring Twitter advertise their competitors. They would not be being made to publish anything. But they don't claim to be a publisher, they claim to be a platform, and platforms should be required to be neutral to all.
    You can't link to Facebook or Vimeo from YouTube.
    But you can instagram...lots of these sites seem to have inconsistent and random rules in terms of links elsewhere.
    Inconsistent and random if you don’t know the ownership of the sites/apps

For example - you can’t buy kindle books (Amazon) on the iPhone App for Amazon. Ever wonder why?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    biggles said:

I do wonder whether this lesson in how quickly a social network can fall apart will/should impact on the valuation of Meta, for example.

I wonder how MySpace and Bebo are doing these days.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

It'll be interesting to see if this applies to historic posts (i.e. those that contained links in the past). Will they suddenly be removed or made invisible?

in fact, it'd be interesting to know how long a twitter post remains 'current' (i.e. how long after a twitter post is made before it is rarely seen). I'm guessing a couple of days for most posts, and shorter if someone regularly tweets.
    Funny who is and isn’t included. Discord, TikTok, YouTube, Reddit, Tumblr and OnlyFans all fine.
    The banned list is of all the social media sites which might be a rival to Twitter by replicating at least some of its main model. YouTube and OnlyFans do not do that
    Question is whether Elon Musk ran it past the legal department (assuming he's not sacked it) regarding (a) monopoly and (b) publisher versus platform.
    *If* Twitter is the big boy in this particular social media space, then it does seem anticompetitive - other sites can feed into Twitter, but Twitter will not allow links to smaller potential rivals, allowing them to grow. Although as Facebook and Instagram are on the list, that might not be the case. But are FB and Instagram in the *same* space?

It'll be interesting to see how this works out, both legally and business-wise. But on a personal level, I quite like the Internet being as open as possible. If other companies do the same, we'll go further down the road of content walled gardens. And I think that's a bad thing.
    Other sites already do this. You can't put URLs into an Insta post, for instance. You can't link through to other sites. Vastly frustrating and of course deliberate
    World governments need to start regulating this stuff properly. Either you are a publisher or you are a platform. Platforms should have to be neutral and, over a certain size, should face regulation like a utility, ensuring they are treating people fairly. America won't do it, as their system is owned by corporate interest, but the EU and UK should step up.

What is very sad is how much HMG bows to the interests of a handful of monopolists even though they don't benefit that much from political donations. It's a pure subservience mentality.
    Being neutral does not mean you have to allow people to advertise your competitors. And frankly world governements have to regulate this stuff? Really I wouldnt trust any governement to regulate the internet thats when we get the shit we do like the uk's online safety bill, the us KOSA act, the EU copyright and DSA acts and the austrailians declaring the law of mathematics does not trump the laws of australia
    All of those are better than the world's information flows being distorted by the whims of the Elon Musks of the world. Democratic governments are held accountable to public elections. Megalomanic billionaires are held accountable to no-one.
    Also, no-one is requiring Twitter advertise their competitors. They would not be being made to publish anything. But they don't claim to be a publisher, they claim to be a platform, and platforms should be required to be neutral to all.
    But you can instagram...lots of these sites seem to have inconsistent and random rules in terms of links elsewhere.

For example - you can’t buy kindle books (Amazon) on the iPhone App for Amazon. Ever wonder why?
    Because Apple would take 30%.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    He doesn't really, though.
    He really does, as does Deschamps

French Twitter is convinced. This is weird and intrusive from Macron, it looks bad, creepy and patronising
    I agree it's rather cringeworthy from Macron.
    One of the weirdest things I’ve seen. Head rub. Tummy pat. Snuggly headlock. There there doggy, it’s ok.

Mbappe looks like he wants to deck him as he walks away. Would have been epic if he had.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,772
    I believe England won the best goal difference World Cup. Yay!
  • Options

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

It’s more than that - iBooks.

Straight up, “no you can’t sell your stuff on our platform.”

Otherwise Apple would have refused the Amazon App completely.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    Nigelb said:

Paul Graham is very close to Peter Thiel.

• Options

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

And Musk is right to criticize the Apple tax.
  • Options

I believe England won the best goal difference World Cup. Yay!

Someone should be along soon to say it doesn't work like that.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

It's the core of the issue.
  • Options
    biggles said:

It hasn't fallen apart. Usage of Twitter is great, not least because Musk is generating an enormous amount of controversy.

But it may do in the future.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited December 2022
    kle4 said:

Really its just a shame Musk cannot run for US President, as he's clearly the right person to spend an entire presidency and aftermath on winding people up on twitter.

He'd push the envelope further in more than one of the directions that Trump pushed it.

* He's a centibillionaire, not a mere billionaire.
    * Arguably he's an ultrad*ckhead on Sh*tter whereas Trump was a mere superd*ckhead.
    * He'd probably find it easier to win votes from youngsters.

On other measures he's at par, lagging behind, or signally different.

* Both men have a record doing comedy stuff to large audiences.
    * He is a liar but he's nowhere near at Trump's level.
    * He's saner than Trump. That's an awfully low bar, but I think he meets it.
    * AFAICT, he works hard. Trump's business is mainly his brand.

Musk has a short surname, though - a well-known advantage.

Kennedy 7
    Johnson 7
    Nixon 5
    Ford 4
    Carter 6
    Reagan 6
    Bush 4
    Clinton 7
    Obama 5
    Trump 5
    Biden 5

Only 10% of surnames in the US have 4 or fewer letters.
    Only 28% have 5 or fewer.

Musk can run. But the only realistic way he could get himself accepted as eligible to become US president would be if the Supreme Court were to declare that the natural born citizen requirement has already been repealed implicitly and is therefore a dead letter. Unlikely.

Bayesians all know Cromwell's Law though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Denis Healey would know what to do with Apple.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787
    edited December 2022
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

They don't want to be squeezed until the pips squeal. That has no a peel to Amazon.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    WillG said:

MaxPB said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Instagram doesn't allow accounts that link to TikTok.
    Which should also be regulated. These companies need to pick: either they are publishers with editorial control, and they are held liable for content on their websites, or they are platforms and have a responsibility for neutrality to users.
    You are seriously arguing that these sites should have to allow posting anti vaxx stuff....how ivermectin is a cure for covid because that is what you are asking for by saying they cant moderate.

In the old days when we just had publishers most of us had no voice beyond the bar room. Now we have sites like this and can send our voice out far further. Personally I see that a good thing despite there being some downsides. Sites like twitter or youtube cant be held to be publishers without cutting down the amount of content down to 1% hell even PB would struggle if it had to read every post first before allowing it to appear.

Frankly what you are asking for is bollocks and the only way to achieve it is to turn the web from a many to many publishing system to the bad old days where only approved voices were allowed
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Denis Healey would know what to do with Apple.
    Held do them for in cider trading.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

They don't want to be squeezed until the pips squeal. That has no a peel to Amazon.
    It could harm the turnover.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

It hasn't fallen apart. Usage of Twitter is great, not least because Musk is generating an enormous amount of controversy.

Usage up, advertising down is not a great combination.

Yes I'm posting more tweets dunking on Elon than ever before but the quality of add I am seeing is the absolute pits.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

I don't see how this is monopolistic

Is the Guardian obliged to host adverts which say "don't read this lefty shit, come over to the Telegraph"?

No. Indeed the Guardian will censor any comments below the line which question the paper's probity, tax affairs, etc, and you will get banned for doing that
    I do wonder what you would be saying if - post-Musk takeover - Facebook had banned linking to Twitter.
    I think the ban is only on accounts that exist to promote content on other social media, Instagram does the same for TikTok. If it's a twitter user that links to an Instagram post they won't get a ban, if it's an account that just pushes out content primarily from Instagram they'll get banned.
    That's not all they announced. They also have a blanket ban on linking to usernames on specified other platforms. These include Mastodon, Instagram, truth.social (lol) and Jack's new thing (lmao) but not Gab, Getter or Parler.

So if I were to post that my goats are at
    https://www.instagram.com/gethpari/
    I would be breaking the rules as stated.
    Yes, they want you to post the goats, just as Instagram want you to make the reel of your goats rather than link to the TikTok that has your goats on it. It's fair.
    https://cryptodon.lol/@edmundedgar/109532591182589422
  • Options

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

I seem to have accidentally started a train of appalling Apple puns. Which is one of my worse Jobs.

Ah, my dressing gown.

Good night all.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

Yes I'm posting more tweets dunking on Elon than ever before but the quality of add I am seeing is the absolute pits.
    The feed algorithm is showing me even more garbage than ever.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

I seem to have accidentally started a train of appalling Apple puns. Which is one of my worse Jobs.

Ah, my dressing gown.

Good night all.
    An imac-ulate exit!
  • Options
    Sacked in the morning....sacked in the morning.....your getting sacked in the morning...

Fastest speedrun of “free speech” ever
    https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1604604888725364737
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

One problem with voluntary lockdown is what we saw time and again in the UK, given half an inch people were very quick to make full use of any relaxations, while always taking advantage of those until the very last second (remember all the people piling down the pubs on the night each night it was announced they would have to be closed).

Basically by the time people really got scared during each wave it was already too late and it was well spread...people reacted when their WhatsApp groups starting pinging that yet another member had COVID, which is too late because you probably now have it too.

After the initial lockdown, I think we need to have a set of rules that we just stuck with i.e. none of this moving between tiers / in and out of lockdowns.

Questions around schools I think are the really valid things. Yes kids will have spread it among themselves, but all that disruption for 2 years have caused so much damage.

We must never have any types of lockdowns ever again IMO. If vulnerable people want to isolate themselves, they can choose to do so.
    Indeed. And we are only now just beginning to see the damage they have done. To everything. From mental health to cancer care to kids educations to public finances to city centres to public services - and on and on

I wonder what history will make of us, and this
    Kids education is the only one that could possibly be considered a greater cost than an extra 100-200k+ dead, which would have happened with no lockdown.

Lockdown was the correct policy, though we should probably have not applied it to kids education.

As for all this mental health complaining, whatever happened to having a bit of grit? Mental health can recover. People can't come back from the dead.
    And you're talking about grit in the same breath as cheerleading the state.
    Your point doesn't make any sense at all.
    They are slaves who fear to speak
    For the fallen and the weak;
    They are slaves who will not choose
    Hatred, scoffing , and abuse,
    Rather than in silence shrink
    From the truth they needs must think;
    They are slaves who dare not be
    In the right with two or three.
    Going into abstract poetry because you can't make a logical argument.
    That obedience doesn't imply bravery or "grit" is self-evident and doesn't require a logical argument, even if an entire raft of sealions say they want one.
    What-if the Sea Lions are really controlled by ASBs?

£5 to the charity of the winners choice if they can work out the references in that sentence.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    This discussion of Twitter is leaving me as baffled as a PB bod with no interest in cricket.
    Who cares?
    Youse lot deeply obviously. But the vast majority don't.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Sacked in the morning....sacked in the morning.....your getting sacked in the morning...

“Specifically, we will remove accounts created solely for the purpose of promoting other social platforms and content that contains links or usernames for the following platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Mastodon, Truth Social, Tribel, Nostr and Post.”

“We still allow cross-posting content from any social media platform. Posting links or usernames to social media platforms not listed above are also not in violation of this policy.“

Hard to see what there is to get worked up about from this
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    WillG said:

MaxPB said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Which should also be regulated. These companies need to pick: either they are publishers with editorial control, and they are held liable for content on their websites, or they are platforms and have a responsibility for neutrality to users.
    That knotty issue has been sitting there for more than 25 years and it remains unresolved.

Just chip-implant everyone in the head, or otherwise ensure that the state or corpstate knows exactly who posts exactly what (increasingly in advance). Then impose penalties and rewards accordingly. Elon Musk's Neuralink will help. Xi Jinping will too.

Think different. Be like Alexander. Slice the Gordian knot. The issue won't stay there forever in its present form.

Did someone think the internet meant more freedom? Suckers!
  • Options
    moonshine said:

“Specifically, we will remove accounts created solely for the purpose of promoting other social platforms and content that contains links or usernames for the following platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Mastodon, Truth Social, Tribel, Nostr and Post.”

“We still allow cross-posting content from any social media platform. Posting links or usernames to social media platforms not listed above are also not in violation of this policy.“

Yes, I agree. Musk is a prat, but not everything he does or will do is malign. There’s some vague sense he wants/wanted Twitter to actually turn a profit, which this is in line with, and some people seem to dislike that more than anything else.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,111
    DJ41 said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

That knotty issue has been sitting there for more than 25 years and it remains unresolved.

Just chip-implant everyone in the head, or otherwise ensure that the state or corpstate knows exactly who posts exactly what (increasingly in advance). Then impose penalties and rewards accordingly. Elon Musk's Neuralink will help. Xi Jinping will too.

Think different. Be like Alexander. Slice the Gordian knot. The issue won't stay there forever in its present form.

Your comments are increasingly bizarre.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    biggles said:

moonshine said:

Yes, I agree. Musk is a prat, but not everything he does or will do is malign. There’s some vague sense he wants/wanted Twitter to actually turn a profit, which this is in line with, and some people seem to dislike that more than anything else.
    One entertainment in all this is the flipping of positions. The other days I and some others were discussing the Soyuz leak issue in a forum, when a long comes a contributor who insists that we *have* to discuss Musk….

And then regurgitates a mass of MAGA talking points about Musk from about 5 years ago.

And was incadesent with rage when told that that he was acting MAGA…

• Options
    biggles said:

moonshine said:

Profitability is fine. But if you are editorializing content, you are a publisher and should be held accountable like one.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Paul Graham is very close to Peter Thiel.

More to the point, he’s not political, and a lot of people follow him.

This is on point.

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1604610588084166656
    Wow.

@elonmusk, as a Twitter user I see this as a highly arbitrary decision. You may say: you don't care how I see it. Fair enough. Unfortunately, arbitrary rule affects everyone's personal strategies. If you are subject to it, you can't realistically plan anything long-term

The people who make Twitter worthwhile are the smart folk who post interesting stuff for free. That is the core of Elon’s new toy, and he’s busy dismantling it.
  • Options
    WillG said:

biggles said:

moonshine said:

Profitability is fine. But if you are editorializing content, you are a publisher and should be held accountable like one.
    That ship sailed, hit an iceberg, sank, was lost, found, raised, sunk by Nazis, raised again, sunk, raised, scraped and made into moderately amusing jewlery a long long time ago.

Unless you want to shit down all comments on the internet.
  • Options

WillG said:

biggles said:

moonshine said:

That ship sailed, hit an iceberg, sank, was lost, found, raised, sunk by Nazis, raised again, sunk, raised, scraped and made into moderately amusing jewlery a long long time ago.

It amuses me that, as with me, your autocorrect assumes “shit” is more likely than “shut”. Also “shitting down” comments rather sums up the internet.
  • Options

WillG said:

biggles said:

moonshine said:

Comments on the internet sites like this one are regulated. That is why the moderators quickly ban people here for libelous claims. But Musk has fired the content team and claims to be a platform that takes no responsibility for its content. While also killing all content that Musk doesn't like.
  • Options
    biggles said:

moonshine said:

That’s simply not true, I think.
    Twitter actually made quite a lot of money for a couple of years, and could have done so again without anyone being bothered about it.

I for one couldn’t care less whether Musk makes money out of it. What bothers me is that he’s destroying something that had considerable utility for me, and a lot of other people.

In financial terms, the damaging thing he did was load the business with a billion a year debt interest payments. That made radical change necessary purely for financial reasons, and it’s not working out so far.
  • Options
    WillG said:

WillG said:

biggles said:

moonshine said:

Comments on the internet sites like this one are regulated. That is why the moderators quickly ban people here for libelous claims. But Musk has fired the content team and claims to be a platform that takes no responsibility for its content. While also killing all content that Musk doesn't like.
    Twitter previously had arbitrary moderation policies so this is nothing new.
  • Options

WillG said:

WillG said:

biggles said:

moonshine said:

It did previously have arbitrary moderation, but this is definitely new. Musk is now using it to punish personal criticism of him and to prevent links to competitors.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2022
    Nigelb said:

biggles said:

moonshine said:

That’s simply not true, I think.
    Twitter actually made quite a lot of money for a couple of years, and could have done so again without anyone being bothered about it.

I for one couldn’t care less whether Musk makes money out of it. What bothers me is that he’s destroying something that had considerable utility for me, and a lot of other people.

In financial terms, the damaging thing he did was load the business with a billion a year debt interest payments. That made radical change necessary purely for financial reasons, and it’s not working out so far.
    The 2 years twitter made money, it wasn't really through user or revenue growth, it was through big cost savings, also I seemed to remember there was some special "one off" accounting that really boostered the numbers. Trying to remember exactly what it was, I remember watching a really boring video about it.

During the pandemic twitter then doubled head count while revenue struggled.
  • Options

WillG said:

WillG said:

biggles said:

moonshine said:

Indeed - and it is the change in moderation, not it’s absence, that is upsetting people.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,979
    dixiedean said:

This discussion of Twitter is leaving me as baffled as a PB bod with no interest in cricket.
    Who cares?

Given how often 'spat on Twitter' seems to form the basis of major news stories nowadays I have been astonished not to see very twist and turn splashed all over the BBC front page every day.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    You know, I appreciate that about Musk: he's not afraid to change his mind.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,128
    Elon Musk again.

FFS.

W H O C A R E S?

Can I suggest a prolonged discussion about the effect of What3Words on Boris’ weight instead?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Who cares?

Given how often 'spat on Twitter' seems to form the basis of major news stories nowadays I have been astonished not to see very twist and turn splashed all over the BBC front page every day.
    We get it on Japanese news as well.
  • Options

WillG said:

WillG said:

biggles said:

moonshine said:

One of the things that the "Twitter Files" showed, though, was that the moderation team at Twitter agonized over whether the release of the Hunter Biden story contravened their rules on hacked information.
  • Options
    WillG said:

DJ41 said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Oh come come.

@DJ41 is by far the best Russian paid poster we've ever had, so much better than any of the previous models, and I'd be loathe to lose him.
  • Options

Elon Musk again.

FFS.

W H O C A R E S?

Can I suggest a prolonged discussion about the effect of What3Words on Boris’ weight instead?

I can definitely sum up Boris in three words.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Who cares?

There was a longish discussion on WATO today.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

You are posting... Tweets.

It is entirely possible that Musk drives Twitter into the abyss. But for now, it's doing (user-wise) just fine.
  • Options
    I'm hoping for 52/48 obviously.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Oh come come.

@DJ41 is by far the best Russian paid poster we've ever had, so much better than any of the previous models, and I'd be loathe to lose him.
    Please sir, can we have a better Russian troll for Christmas?
  • Options
    SSE begins work on hydrogen storage cavern on Yorkshire coast
    Exclusive: Renewable energy will be kept in cathedral-sized cave for freezing, windless conditions
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/18/sse-begins-work-on-hydrogen-storage-cavern-on-yorkshire-coast
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2022
    Should I step down as head of Twitter? I will abide by the results of this poll. https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1604617643973124097
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I'm hoping for 52/48 obviously.

Once in a generation 55-45 currently.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,899
    People who complain about Twitter but carry on using the platform are being a bit silly IMO. Like complaining about Ryanair's seating policies but continuing to use it because it's cheap.
  • Options

Should I step down as head of Twitter? I will abide by the results of this poll. https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1604617643973124097

Kind of depends who he'd be putting in charge instead, doesn't it? George Hotz would be fun, David Sacks would be icky.
  • Options

Kind of depends who he'd be putting in charge instead, doesn't it? George Hotz would be fun, David Sacks would be icky.
    He's found someone in LA who knows how to wield the banhammer. Negative tweets about Radiohead are going to be vigorously suppressed.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

11 mins ago "careful what you wish for"
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    rcs1000 said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

biggles said:

moonshine said:

One of the things that the "Twitter Files" showed, though, was that the moderation team at Twitter agonized over whether the release of the Hunter Biden story contravened their rules on hacked information.
    Agonised over how they could claim that it did, anyway.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:
    You know, I appreciate that about Musk: he's not afraid to change his mind.
    He seems to be a learner by do-er. Fine with social networks. Less happy with that attitude applied to cars.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909
    Nigelb said:

Exclusive: Renewable energy will be kept in cathedral-sized cave for freezing, windless conditions
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/18/sse-begins-work-on-hydrogen-storage-cavern-on-yorkshire-coast

Interesting. Presumably quite inefficient but that might not matter too much unless someone else can use the electricity.

I hope the site is not too near the coast as Holderness is disappearing into the sea at quite a rate. There was a recent project at Withernsea involving shipping boulders from Norway but as usual this has just accelerated the problem south of the defended area, so yet another facility to defend won't help.

The big gas terminal at Easington is trouble enough...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Oh come come.

Nice one :smiley: Even funnier because three quarters of the readership will nod in agreement without realising your joke is at their expense!

But loath not loathe.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Currently 57-43 "Yes" to should Musk stand down as head of Twitter. Votes so far 6.5m. Cf. 0.5m for the poll on whether to unsuspend accounts that according to him doxxed his location.

Look out for Musk polls on directly him-related stuff, not particularly closely tied to his ownership of Sh*tter. And carefully chosen.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

Currently 57-43 "Yes" to should Musk stand down as head of Twitter. Votes so far 6.5m. Cf. 0.5m for the poll on whether to unsuspend accounts that according to him doxxed his location.

Look out for Musk polls on directly him-related stuff, not particularly closely tied to his ownership of Sh*tter. And carefully chosen.

6.9m now, in a poll that opened less than 2.5 hours ago.
  • Options
    Driver said:

rcs1000 said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

biggles said:

moonshine said:

Agonised over how they could claim that it did, anyway.
    Over how they could claim they did in private emails that weren't released.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Nigelb said:

Interesting. Presumably quite inefficient but that might not matter too much unless someone else can use the electricity.

I hope the site is not too near the coast as Holderness is disappearing into the sea at quite a rate. There was a recent project at Withernsea involving shipping boulders from Norway but as usual this has just accelerated the problem south of the defended area, so yet another facility to defend won't help.

The big gas terminal at Easington is trouble enough...
    I walked along that stretch of coast in October 2002. The rows of cuts corn stalks ended right at the edge of the cliffs, showing that a considerable distance (enough to turn a combine) of land had disappeared in the few months since harvest. It's quite amazing. Likewise, you can see radical change in the coast at Happisburgh year-on-year.

I bet some of the cliffs I walked along the coast are now five or ten metres out to sea.
This discussion has been closed.