Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

They’re trolling us now. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ohnotnow said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

One problem with voluntary lockdown is what we saw time and again in the UK, given half an inch people were very quick to make full use of any relaxations, while always taking advantage of those until the very last second (remember all the people piling down the pubs on the night each night it was announced they would have to be closed).

Basically by the time people really got scared during each wave it was already too late and it was well spread...people reacted when their WhatsApp groups starting pinging that yet another member had COVID, which is too late because you probably now have it too.

After the initial lockdown, I think we need to have a set of rules that we just stuck with i.e. none of this moving between tiers / in and out of lockdowns.

Questions around schools I think are the really valid things. Yes kids will have spread it among themselves, but all that disruption for 2 years have caused so much damage.

We must never have any types of lockdowns ever again IMO. If vulnerable people want to isolate themselves, they can choose to do so.
    Indeed. And we are only now just beginning to see the damage they have done. To everything. From mental health to cancer care to kids educations to public finances to city centres to public services - and on and on

I wonder what history will make of us, and this
    I've been struggling with my mental health on and off ever since Lockdown II, to the point where, to be honest with you, full time work is hard - and I may part-time it for the forseeable, at whatever cost that is to the economy and the exchequer vs what I was earning before.

I was actually starting to feel better this summer and considering a return to full time work, but I've been on the downward slide since October and the last couple of brutal weeks of weather have really rammed the depression home. It's hard at the moment to even get out of bed, let alone work.

My mental health has not been the same since lockdown and every day is a struggle. I've never tested positive for Covid, but I'm still suffering the effects of lockdown years later.

Wonder how many people there are out there like me.
    Similar story here.

There was a post on my local subreddit just asking something like 'Anyone else suffering after lockdowns?' and there was an outpouring of people replying with all the - sometimes small, sometimes huge - mental health issues on the back of it. Sometimes just a little 'tick' like still washing their hands with sanitiser after touching something 'from the outside', sometimes people basically unable to leave home, sometimes.... on and on.

It was quite an eye-opening read.
    It was the first time I'd been properly depressed.

Lockdown 3 was utterly miserable and should never have happened.

It also took an absurdly long time to end, and I really didn't give a shit by the end - I was ignoring it as much as I could.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,173
    ohnotnow said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

One problem with voluntary lockdown is what we saw time and again in the UK, given half an inch people were very quick to make full use of any relaxations, while always taking advantage of those until the very last second (remember all the people piling down the pubs on the night each night it was announced they would have to be closed).

Basically by the time people really got scared during each wave it was already too late and it was well spread...people reacted when their WhatsApp groups starting pinging that yet another member had COVID, which is too late because you probably now have it too.

After the initial lockdown, I think we need to have a set of rules that we just stuck with i.e. none of this moving between tiers / in and out of lockdowns.

Questions around schools I think are the really valid things. Yes kids will have spread it among themselves, but all that disruption for 2 years have caused so much damage.

We must never have any types of lockdowns ever again IMO. If vulnerable people want to isolate themselves, they can choose to do so.
    Indeed. And we are only now just beginning to see the damage they have done. To everything. From mental health to cancer care to kids educations to public finances to city centres to public services - and on and on

I've been struggling with my mental health on and off ever since Lockdown II, to the point where, to be honest with you, full time work is hard - and I may part-time it for the forseeable, at whatever cost that is to the economy and the exchequer vs what I was earning before.

I was actually starting to feel better this summer and considering a return to full time work, but I've been on the downward slide since October and the last couple of brutal weeks of weather have really rammed the depression home. It's hard at the moment to even get out of bed, let alone work.

My mental health has not been the same since lockdown and every day is a struggle. I've never tested positive for Covid, but I'm still suffering the effects of lockdown years later.

Similar story here.

There was a post on my local subreddit just asking something like 'Anyone else suffering after lockdowns?' and there was an outpouring of people replying with all the - sometimes small, sometimes huge - mental health issues on the back of it. Sometimes just a little 'tick' like still washing their hands with sanitiser after touching something 'from the outside', sometimes people basically unable to leave home, sometimes.... on and on.

I have quite a lot of sympathy for people saying it was a hard period and discussion/therapy is needed for healing. I have a lot less sympathy for people using it as a reason to say we should have allowed hundreds of thousands more deaths.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    I think the ref has been terrible. Not playing advantage on many occasions. That one at the end was so obvious.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,560

I am not sure why the PB consensus seems to be that we should no longer even subject our foreign policy toward Ukraine to any form of cost/benefit analysis. It would be a colossal dereliction of duty on the part of the Government not to analyse this. If the reason is humanitarian, can anyone tell me why it's perfectly acceptable to leave Afghans to the tender mercies of the Taliban?

There’s no point because the strategic costs of Russia winning a so horrendous that it is a waste of time analysing. We are all in.
    How do you work that one out? Russian 'victory' even over the entirety of Ukraine would mean possession for Russia of a rebellious, resentful colony with a population that largely detests it. It would be a deeply unfortunate outcome but not one where I can see any unthinkable strategic cost to UK interests.
    Do you think the Russians would stop there?
    I am sure factions within Russia would want to carry on invading places, and other factions would want to consolidate its gains. It is also highly probable in that instance that the West would sponsor a Ukrainian resistance movement and the status of Ukraine as Russian would not be settled for decades if ever. The nations surrounding Russian Ukraine would also end up being heavily garrisoned by NATO forces. None of that is satisfactory, but it isn't a doomsday scenario for Britain either.

What I am afraid is a doomsday scenario is energy prices at their current levels, which simply make our economy unworkable - unable to compete with other economies. That will just eviscerate us and leave us incapable of fighting Russia or anyone else.
    Except that energy prices are now falling on the world markets. Especially LNG futures.
    I am pleased and relieved to hear that. I can only imagine how dynamic our economy would be if energy prices were at US levels. It is the crux of everything.
    No, not everything. It is a considerable impact on short term economics though. Which is why depending on Russia is for lunatics.

The fall is caused by more US operations coming back on line, various LNG projects coming on line and a flood of new* LNG tanker are entering the market.

*The initial batches are reconditioned tankers and existing construction that has been accelerated. The first all new LNG tankers from the wave sparked by the Ukraine war are still building.
    Depending on anyone else is lunacy. And unnecessary.
    I'm a big fan of tidal, but I doubt if it would wean us off gas in anything but the fairly long term.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,242

Shamina Begum is clearly very well advised on PR.

I can only assume she's got some small team working for her pro-bono:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/shamima-begum-podcast-bbc-sounds

I doubt that. She is a story, and whether it is sympathetic or not we'll have to wait to find out.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,031
    ydoethur said:

I am not sure why the PB consensus seems to be that we should no longer even subject our foreign policy toward Ukraine to any form of cost/benefit analysis. It would be a colossal dereliction of duty on the part of the Government not to analyse this. If the reason is humanitarian, can anyone tell me why it's perfectly acceptable to leave Afghans to the tender mercies of the Taliban?

There’s no point because the strategic costs of Russia winning a so horrendous that it is a waste of time analysing. We are all in.
    How do you work that one out? Russian 'victory' even over the entirety of Ukraine would mean possession for Russia of a rebellious, resentful colony with a population that largely detests it. It would be a deeply unfortunate outcome but not one where I can see any unthinkable strategic cost to UK interests.
    I am sure factions within Russia would want to carry on invading places, and other factions would want to consolidate its gains. It is also highly probable in that instance that the West would sponsor a Ukrainian resistance movement and the status of Ukraine as Russian would not be settled for decades if ever. The nations surrounding Russian Ukraine would also end up being heavily garrisoned by NATO forces. None of that is satisfactory, but it isn't a doomsday scenario for Britain either.

What I am afraid is a doomsday scenario is energy prices at their current levels, which simply make our economy unworkable - unable to compete with other economies. That will just eviscerate us and leave us incapable of fighting Russia or anyone else.
    Except that energy prices are now falling on the world markets. Especially LNG futures.
    I am pleased and relieved to hear that. I can only imagine how dynamic our economy would be if energy prices were at US levels. It is the crux of everything.
    No, not everything. It is a considerable impact on short term economics though. Which is why depending on Russia is for lunatics.

The fall is caused by more US operations coming back on line, various LNG projects coming on line and a flood of new* LNG tanker are entering the market.

*The initial batches are reconditioned tankers and existing construction that has been accelerated. The first all new LNG tankers from the wave sparked by the Ukraine war are still building.
    I'm a big fan of tidal, but I doubt if it would wean us off gas in anything but the fairly long term.
    There is an incredible game of football on
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,333
    edited December 2022
    Quite fitting they just played living on a prayer in the stadium.....
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,809

Glad you are onboard for some solar, wind and tide power. Not to mention nuclear.

There isn't enough oil or gas at any price, and the coal is inextracable at almost any price either.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,989
    I fancy France to win. Psychologically Argentina are in a bad place.

When the Netherlands did this to the Argies they went back to their defensive style. I don't think the French will, they look as if they have their second wind.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

There is an incredible game of football on
    I'm a Welshman. I prefer my balls to be ovoid.

And that goes for sport too.

(Except cricket, obvs.)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150
    Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Kids education is the only one that could possibly be considered a greater cost than an extra 100-200k+ dead, which would have happened with no lockdown.

Lockdown was the correct policy, though we should probably have not applied it to kids education.

As for all this mental health complaining, whatever happened to having a bit of grit? Mental health can recover. People can't come back from the dead.
    I’m guessing you are one of those introverts with a proper house and garden and family at hand. Like so many of the lockdown fans

The psychological damage wrought by lockdown is enormous
    I am an extrovert and the only socializing I did for about a year was sitting across the street from my neighbours in deckchairs. Yes, I have a family, but looking after a baby and a toddler with no parental or babysitter support made lockdown harder not easier.

I am not a "fan" of lockdown in the same way I would not have been a "fan" of blackouts during the Blitz. I do, however, accept that mental hardship is not a greater cost than being dead. Which is what people ranting at the state were happy for others to do rather than face some adversity themselves.
    The dead would have been mainly old fat unhealthy people

We shattered and impoverished society to save a bunch of 80 year olds. It was a disastrous error
    You're making a great case for killing a load of old people so you can have a better time.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    Foxy said:

When the Netherlands did this to the Argies they went back to their defensive style. I don't think the French will, they look as if they have their second wind.

Argentina nailed on to win then.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I’m a Markle skeptic, but Jeremy Clarkson’s despicable comments in the Sun have somehow pushed me into Camp Meghan.

Much of the article was spot on, she and her husband have spent the last week whinging like ungrateful brats from their California mansion for Netflix millions trashing the family that made them and even the British public.

They even had the audacity to mock the Kensington and Chelsea house they were gifted by the Queen

Yes we always had unimpeachable royals before an American with the wrong skin tone turned up. And I bet she didn't vote Trump!

I believe the biggest scandal is Markle's unprovoked attack on the Daily Mail and the Sun. Two of Britain's greatest bastions of truth.

I'm being snarky. If she and Harry brought the whole sorry edifice down, I'd doff my cap to 'em.
    They won’t for starters both are almost as unpopular as Prince Andrew with the British public now.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/12/09/after-prince-andrew-prince-harry-and-meghan-markle

Plus without their royal links they are just a dim ex captain with poor A levels and a C- list actress

You are comparing the alleged villainy of a man accused of sex offences with a couple who have a beef with the Daily Mail and are critical of the palace for not being supportive.

Anyway what's his educational qualifications got to do with anything? And correct me if I am wrong but this mere Captain saw more hostile fire than you did in Afghanistan.
    Really? I’d be very surprised if Harry was let anywhere near the enemy
    He flew 100 missions, mostly operating the weapons systems as co-pilot, including close combat air support:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prince-harry-completes-tour-of-duty-in-afghanistan.

There has to be a slight question mark on that if he says he was scared by his brother's shouting.
    A former very senior officer of the Royal Navy once told me that having played tag with Brezhnev's subs throughout the 1970s he'd never been more scared in his life than when a maths teacher got mad at him in a meeting about school finances.

It wasn't until much later that he explained this was partly because he knew one of the other people in the room, who stands 6 ft 4 and is built in proportion, was frequently physically violent and was triggered by people shouting.
    Why would a submariner getting violent make people on the same sub be less scared?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Argentina nailed on to win then.
    I have greened out!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I doubt that. She is a story, and whether it is sympathetic or not we'll have to wait to find out.
    I still find it astonishing the number of people who simultaneously believe 16 year olds are mature enough to choose governments but 15 year olds aren't mature enough to know that torturers and sex slavers are bad.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,035
    Mad game. What a tournament this has been. So often the final is a poor game.

Setting apart the rottenness of Qatar’s bid and associated hosting issues - from a purely footballing POV this has been a belter of a tournament. I loved 2014 and 2006 too (and 94, but mostly because that was the first tournament I really got into).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I’m a Markle skeptic, but Jeremy Clarkson’s despicable comments in the Sun have somehow pushed me into Camp Meghan.

Much of the article was spot on, she and her husband have spent the last week whinging like ungrateful brats from their California mansion for Netflix millions trashing the family that made them and even the British public.

They even had the audacity to mock the Kensington and Chelsea house they were gifted by the Queen

Yes we always had unimpeachable royals before an American with the wrong skin tone turned up. And I bet she didn't vote Trump!

I believe the biggest scandal is Markle's unprovoked attack on the Daily Mail and the Sun. Two of Britain's greatest bastions of truth.

I'm being snarky. If she and Harry brought the whole sorry edifice down, I'd doff my cap to 'em.
    They won’t for starters both are almost as unpopular as Prince Andrew with the British public now.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/12/09/after-prince-andrew-prince-harry-and-meghan-markle

Plus without their royal links they are just a dim ex captain with poor A levels and a C- list actress

You are comparing the alleged villainy of a man accused of sex offences with a couple who have a beef with the Daily Mail and are critical of the palace for not being supportive.

Anyway what's his educational qualifications got to do with anything? And correct me if I am wrong but this mere Captain saw more hostile fire than you did in Afghanistan.
    He flew 100 missions, mostly operating the weapons systems as co-pilot, including close combat air support:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prince-harry-completes-tour-of-duty-in-afghanistan.

There has to be a slight question mark on that if he says he was scared by his brother's shouting.
    A former very senior officer of the Royal Navy once told me that having played tag with Brezhnev's subs throughout the 1970s he'd never been more scared in his life than when a maths teacher got mad at him in a meeting about school finances.

It wasn't until much later that he explained this was partly because he knew one of the other people in the room, who stands 6 ft 4 and is built in proportion, was frequently physically violent and was triggered by people shouting.
    Why would a submariner getting violent make people on the same sub be less scared?
    It wasn't a submariner that would be getting potentially violent.
  • Options
    WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

I still find it astonishing the number of people who simultaneously believe 16 year olds are mature enough to choose governments but 15 year olds aren't mature enough to know that torturers and sex slavers are bad.
    Previously, she was being used by a group of people for their own ends - she willingly participated, though

She is now being used by a group of people for their own ends - and she is still a willing participant.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,552
    Eabhal said:

My pub just went into a spontaneous round of applause, all upstanding

You must have made quite an entrance.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Which kind of glue should I use to stick your leg back on?
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Mad game. What a tournament this has been. So often the final is a poor game.

Setting apart the rottenness of Qatar’s bid and associated hosting issues - from a purely footballing POV this has been a belter of a tournament. I loved 2014 and 2006 too (and 94, but mostly because that was the first tournament I really got into).

Yes, a lot to be said for a Winter World Cup to widen possible hosts.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Which kind of glue should I use to stick your leg back on?
    I tend to use gorilla glue, on the basis it's a bugger for pulling off.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    Calling it. France 3-2 AET
  • Options

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

Previously, she was being used by a group of people for their own ends - she willingly participated, though

She is now being used by a group of people for their own ends - and she is still a willing participant.
    Was she groomed more or less than the teenage girls of Rotherham?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pens I reckon.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

Jesus really got it wrong, didn't he?

"Judge as many people as you can at every opportunity. It gives you such a warm feeling of smug superiority."
  • Options
    Argentina going full dirty Leeds.....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The fact she has a "story" is down to good PR.

She wouldn't even have a podcast on BBC sounds were there not people helping her.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    Totally even in the betting

2 Arg
    2 Fr
  • Options
    Foxy said:

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

What a fucking disgraceful analogy

Begum willingly joined a death cult of rapists and had a Yazidi sex slave in her house. And said she did not regret it years later

The girls of Rotherham and around the UK were raped and tortured continuously over many years as the police looked the other way
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

It is still worth looking at what is most effective at supporting Ukraine, and what was less useful.
    Of course. But we know that’s not our Putin-loving companion’s objective
    I find it rather pathetic when having a fairly reasoned debate with questions and answers back and forth, when 'Putin-loving' gets dusted down. It signals a great lack of confidence in your own argument.
    You are an apologist for an evil regime.

“On the one hand, on the other… it’s only fair to take Russian lies at face value until they are disproven… maybe MH17 wasn’t actually shot down by them…”

Motives matter.
    Meanwhile the actual professional on the site is (usually) a lot more subtle about it.

But I think I do understand LuckyGuy’s world view. In my book it’s a category error: it’s founded on the idea “they’re all as bad as each other” and the US is an international bully that needs counterbalancing. This leads to a form of realpolitik. I get that, but I think it presupposes Russia is fundamentally just a flawed but normal state. I don’t think it is.
    It is not an assumption that Russia is better than it is. It is a dispassionate assessment of its relative threat to the UK, starting from the perspective that the purpose of the UK State is to promote the security, wellbeing and prosperity of UK citizens.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Similar story here.

It was the first time I'd been properly depressed.

Lockdown 3 was utterly miserable and should never have happened.

It also took an absurdly long time to end, and I really didn't give a shit by the end - I was ignoring it as much as I could.
    Yes, me too. First time I've had to seek medical help for my mental state. Thiugh happily having done so I made a fairly swift recovery amd have been on, if anything, a steadier keel since.
    It wasn't covid itself, so much as the determination by various parties to keep locking down on the flimsiest of pretences. It felt like lockdown was a solution searching for a problem. It felt like there were a lot of people, includinh many in power, who were determined to effect a significant transfer of powers from individual to state and had spied the perfect oppprtunity to do so with the backing of the population.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

Begum willingly joined a death cult of rapists and had a Yazidi sex slave in her house. And said she did not regret it years later

The girls of Rotherham and around the UK were raped and tortured continuously over many years as the police looked the other way
    Indeed. And many victims of such horrific behaviour regard with disgust the whole "But I was a victim tooooo" stuff.
  • Options
    At least I make £100 when France win
  • Options
    ping said:

Totally even in the betting

2 Arg
    2 Fr

Interesting - I’d favour France at this point.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,001
    ohnotnow said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Similar story here.

Yep. I've had similar conversations with friends and the mental health cost of lockdown looks high.

A friend teaches at uni and noted how the 19 year olds feel more like 16 year olds, in terms of their development, emotionally speaking.

I think it's going to take a while for the mental health costs of lockdown to be recognised, but once they are, it will be widely accepted that they are much greater than the costs of contracting a disease not much worse than the flu.

And we haven't even started counting the economic costs (Hint: There's a reason why inflation is 11%)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

She is by her own admission, a participant in rape and the slave trade. With a side order of war crimes. While being, herself, an adult.

• Options
    Leon said:

In betting terms, you currently have a cash out value of £50.
  • Options
    ping said:

Leon said:

I’ve no idea how that works
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

Indeed. And many victims of such horrific behaviour regard with disgust the whole "But I was a victim tooooo" stuff.
    Many too refused to give evidence against their "boyfriends". Groomers suck people in and gaslight them.

Begum was certainly groomed, and it does seem as if our security services knew and turned a blind eye.

Whether she can ever be other than a damaged person and security risk we cannot know.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

It’s a bit like the theoretical value of the car that you drive. If you were to sell it today, it would be worth X.

Your bet is currently worth £50.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

ohnotnow said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Similar story here.

Yep. I've had similar conversations with friends and the mental health cost of lockdown looks high.

A friend teaches at uni and noted how the 19 year olds feel more like 16 year olds, in terms of their development, emotionally speaking.

I think it's going to take a while for the mental health costs of lockdown to be recognised, but once they are, it will be widely accepted that they are much greater than the costs of contracting a disease not much worse than the flu.

And we haven't even started counting the economic costs (Hint: There's a reason why inflation is 11%)
    I heard the same from a professorial friend. Says the covid cohort is borderline retarded
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832
    Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

No, we weren't expecting it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221
    rcs1000 said:

Her 'story' should be balanced out with those of the victims of the people she was with - those that are still alive, that is.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675
    edited December 2022

Glad you are onboard for some solar, wind and tide power. Not to mention nuclear.

There isn't enough oil or gas at any price, and the coal is inextracable at almost any price either.
    I am very much on board with tidal.

Wind we must make the best of, as we now have so f***ing much of it. We need storage now, pumped hydro in Wales and Scotland for a start. Cut off contraint payments and watch how fast we get storage.

Nuclear I find concerning, given events in Ukraine, Japan etc.

Solar I'm happy with it on buildings etc., but solar farms I don't think have a future in the UK. I am pretty sure the only avowedly 'unsubsidised' solar farm in the UK just went tits up. Putting floating ones on reservoirs is quite a cute idea.

We also need more waste from energy - we should be burning 100% of non recyclable waste, not 75%.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    WillG said:

DJ41 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Kids education is the only one that could possibly be considered a greater cost than an extra 100-200k+ dead, which would have happened with no lockdown.

Lockdown was the correct policy, though we should probably have not applied it to kids education.

As for all this mental health complaining, whatever happened to having a bit of grit? Mental health can recover. People can't come back from the dead.
    And you're talking about grit in the same breath as cheerleading the state.
    Your point doesn't make any sense at all.
    I'll spell it out: obedience isn't brave.
  • Options

Foxy said:

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

She is by her own admission, a participant in rape and the slave trade. With a side order of war crimes. While being, herself, an adult.

And many of the groomed girls in Rotherham etc helped groom others.

It's complicated in reality.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I’m guessing you are one of those introverts with a proper house and garden and family at hand. Like so many of the lockdown fans

I am an extrovert and the only socializing I did for about a year was sitting across the street from my neighbours in deckchairs. Yes, I have a family, but looking after a baby and a toddler with no parental or babysitter support made lockdown harder not easier.

I am not a "fan" of lockdown in the same way I would not have been a "fan" of blackouts during the Blitz. I do, however, accept that mental hardship is not a greater cost than being dead. Which is what people ranting at the state were happy for others to do rather than face some adversity themselves.

We shattered and impoverished society to save a bunch of 80 year olds. It was a disastrous error
    You're making a great case for killing a load of old people so you can have a better time.

OK, let's make it purely about health. It looks pretty likely to me that farore life years will be lost as a result of lockdowns - the opportunities missed, the impoverishment brought, the negative health impacts, the ability to fund a future health servuce forgone - than would havebeen lost directly as extra excess deaths from not locking down ( not least because lockdown was a pretty blunt tool for preventing deaths).
    I'venot seen any attempt at a thorough analysis, though.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,242

rcs1000 said:

She wouldn't even have a podcast on BBC sounds were there not people helping her.
    She doesn't have a podcast.

An investigative journalist has a podcast about her, including interviews.

She doesn't have editorial control.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    Leon said:

Twat. You were already engraving Argentina onto the trophy.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Her 'story' should be balanced out with those of the victims of the people she was with - those that are still alive, that is.
    Those still with their heads, not burned alive etc

That’s what Begum watched and still went to Syria
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

You do get… easily overwrought, don’t you?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

Many too refused to give evidence against their "boyfriends". Groomers suck people in and gaslight them.

Begum was certainly groomed, and it does seem as if our security services knew and turned a blind eye.

Whether she can ever be other than a damaged person and security risk we cannot know.
    What about the teenagers in 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend? Groomed certainly. Enthusiastic war criminals, equally certain.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

OK, let's make it purely about health. It looks pretty likely to me that farore life years will be lost as a result of lockdowns - the opportunities missed, the impoverishment brought, the negative health impacts, the ability to fund a future health servuce forgone - than would havebeen lost directly as extra excess deaths from not locking down ( not least because lockdown was a pretty blunt tool for preventing deaths).
    The health service did not lockdown, it pivoted and redeployed. The adverse health impacts are because of the disease (and underlying capacity issues) not lockdown.

The psychiatrist working as an ICU nurse wasn't running a mental health service, but wasn't locked down.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

And those girls that groomed others, knowing what they were facilitating and not under coercion, don't deserve our sympathy. Which was the situation for Begum.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Argentina!!!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

Do you think Thomas Mair or that bloke that shot the people in the Christchurch Mosque were groomed?

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

And now you’ve been wrong twice over
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    edited December 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The curse still works.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Cookie said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Can't imagine why the government never commissioned one.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

What about the teenagers in 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend? Groomed certainly. Enthusiastic war criminals, equally certain.
    What about them though?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

She doesn't have a podcast.

An investigative journalist has a podcast about her, including interviews.

She doesn't have editorial control.
    And she will have been advised what to say and how to say it, just as she's done throughout her numerous appeals, by those close to her and helping her. For all we know they brokered the investigative journalist to do the podcast series interviews with her.

To suggest this is just happenstance stretches credibility, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    3-2!
  • Options
    GOAT
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, as I said, reality is complicated.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

The curse still works.
    I hope
  • Options
    One positive, it will finally settle the debate over Messi and Ronaldo.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

GOAT

Where?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

The health service did not lockdown, it pivoted and redeployed. .
    That's an interesting way of spinning "the NHS became the National Covid Service".
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    What evidence is there the uk security services knew before she went? I might have missed this?

AFAIK, the Canadians had a paid informer who was a people smuggler, but they were playing every side so not trustworthy, and they were the ones that took her to Syria.

Once she was there the UK security services became aware of her and have many instances of terrible things she was allegedly involved in.

Other than that, have I missed something?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

I’m more sympathetic than most to Shamima Begum but this analogy is really inappropriate.

Vulnerable kids get ‘groomed’ for many different purposes - criminal gangs being another one - but the institutional blind eye turned to the poor girls in Rotherham and all the many other places was a colossal failure of the state and society. There is still nowhere near enough outrage about this. There should be prison terms.
  • Options

One positive, it will finally settle the debate over Messi and Ronaldo.

Which was a silly debate anyway. Messi vs Pele is much more reasonable.
  • Options

I am very much on board with tidal.

Wind we must make the best of, as we now have so f***ing much of it. We need storage now, pumped hydro in Wales and Scotland for a start. Cut off contraint payments and watch how fast we get storage.

Nuclear I find concerning, given events in Ukraine, Japan etc.

Solar I'm happy with it on buildings etc., but solar farms I don't think have a future in the UK. I am pretty sure the only avowedly 'unsubsidised' solar farm in the UK just went tits up. Putting floating ones on reservoirs is quite a cute idea.

We also need more waste from energy - we should be burning 100% of non recyclable waste, not 75%.
    Yes, I think that's about right.
    Though I'd note that only about one house in 20 has solar panels. And still in June we manage to produce around 10% of our electricity ftom solar (I think?). Even in unsunny Britain, we have the potential to be pretty much self-sufficient in electricity between March and October from Solar alone.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

The curse still works.
    For our sake, Leon better back the Tories for the next election. Otherwise our poor country is doomed.
  • Options
    A reminder, Lionel Messi is a convicted tax fraudster.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

Do you think Thomas Mair or that bloke that shot the people in the Christchurch Mosque were groomed?

I have no idea as I don't know their back story, but quite possibly so.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

GOAT

Where?
    Last I heard he was back in Brazil undergoing medical treatment.
  • Options
    Honestly thought that was a great clearance at first sight, but clearly way over the line.

6 goals for golden shoe winner, which should be par for that contest.
  • Options
    Argentina totally deserve this. France have played OK for 15 minutes, otherwise dire
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Isn't that a rite of passage for a Spanish based footballer?
  • Options

I didn't even know he was a Tory!
  • Options
    Driver said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

The health service did not lockdown, it pivoted and redeployed. .
    That's an interesting way of spinning "the NHS became the National Covid Service".
    Of course! Didn't you know there was a pandemic that impacted on elective care?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,047
    Penalty to France!
  • Options
    Lol lol
  • Options
    Penalty.
  • Options
    France penalty
  • Options
    Wuwieoaoghagdi
  • Options
    Incredible WC final!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,154
    Mad play from Argentina.
  • Options
    Geoff Hurst’s weren’t pens.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, as I said, reality is complicated.
    The Cultural Revolution too. States and warlords have long used kids to do nasty stuff. Look at the endless mess in D.R. Congo and its neighbours.
  • Options
    Argentina scuffing the penalty spot.
  • Options
    We are all French now.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Argentina totally deserve this. France have played OK for 15 minutes, otherwise dire

WRONG x 3
  • Options
    3-3
  • Options
    Wow!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    3-3!! What a match!
  • Options
    Mbappe surely gets the golden boot now?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    edited December 2022
    tlg86 said:

Geoff Hurst’s weren’t pens.

But all three of Mbappé's goals were clearly over the line.
  • Options
    Lol. I backed France 4 minutes ago with £10 @ 10/1 just for the lols.

Now, I can level up!
This discussion has been closed.