Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

They’re trolling us now. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Dignataries coming out for the presentation look awfully solemn about it. Macron, sure, but the others?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,327

Well

It'll be interesting to see if this applies to historic posts (i.e. those that contained links in the past). Will they suddenly be removed or made invisible?

in fact, it'd be interesting to know how long a twitter post remains 'current' (i.e. how long after a twitter post is made before it is rarely seen). I'm guessing a couple of days for most posts, and shorter if someone regularly tweets.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,078
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I am not sure why the PB consensus seems to be that we should no longer even subject our foreign policy toward Ukraine to any form of cost/benefit analysis. It would be a colossal dereliction of duty on the part of the Government not to analyse this. If the reason is humanitarian, can anyone tell me why it's perfectly acceptable to leave Afghans to the tender mercies of the Taliban?

I think you've misrepresented the reaction - there were multiple comments pointing out an issue with it was not any form analysis in itself, but that some of the benefits (and you would probably claim, negatives) are not tangible or measurable in a simple way. So if one relies on some kind of spreadsheet accounting of it you get the kind of bullcrap like criticising the cost of a missle versus the cost of what it blew up (even though what they hit varies and some will be more or less the cost of the missle, before you even get to the intangible analysis of the benefits of helping prevent invasion).

As for the Afghan question, life is unfair. But that's nothing more than an argument to never do anything anywhere ever, because states are not consistently moral, that if we cannot or do not do everything we should not do anything.
    Missiles do cost money. Of course the value of the ordinance sent to Ukraine needs at least to be monitored - presumably most of it requires replacing, or its absence reduces the UK's military capability.

Congratulations on missing the point - the objection I made, and it was very clear, was not about the counting the cost of a missle, but doing so in a way which is patently bullshit. Eg, someone complainaing about blowing up a 10k truck with a 50k missle (and someone did do that), even though another one might concievably blow up a tank worth 200k (these are not real numbers) as well, so simply looking at these things on a line by line financial basis doesn't make sense without looking at the whole picture, and the whole picture also includes the non financial context

In any case this is a bit of a red herring, as you're still not arguing on a cost benefit way either, though you are trying to present it that way, you are just arguing that no one should ever do anything in these situations because it is not consistently applied.

Why not just say that, instead of pretending it is about cost/benefit analysis? That's logically coherent, perhaps more so than those arguing occasional intervention. Muddling yourself up by introducing a suggestion it might be ok if the costs were different just confuses your message.

Am I to believe if we didn't face a cost of living crisis and if we had stayed in Afghanistan you'd support Ukrainian intervention? Come on, that't not believable.
    Japan has taken a look at what’s happened in Ukraine, conducted a CBA, and has doubled its defence budget overnight.
    Rishi’s a bit slow off the mark.
    TBF. Boris Johnson instituted a vast number of CBA's across a wide range of departments and topics.
    Unfortunately, his stood for Can't Be Arsed.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,374
    Leon said:

ping said:

Well done Argentina.

They were the best team.

Entertaining game of football, though!

"entertaining"

????

That was stunning sporting drama. On the biggest stage in world sport. Phenomenal

And it had the perfect ending. A cruel French defeat
    The curse of Leondamus worked in a particularly cruel manner this time.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,058
    kle4 said:

Dignataries coming out for the presentation look awfully solemn about it. Macron, sure, but the others?

Mbappe doesn't look to be a Macron supporter judging by this body language.

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1604540469815365633?t=z5-MQsZfRrk12aH-1Hjdlg&s=09
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,416
    edited December 2022
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1604540469815365633?t=z5-MQsZfRrk12aH-1Hjdlg&s=09
    TBH you have just lost the biggest game of your life after scoring a hattrick, the last thing you want is some non-football person coming up acting all matey matey telling you well played, you did yourself proud.

If players do want to talk, it is to other professionals, who know what its like and been through similar things.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,912
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Well done Argentina.

They were the best team.

"entertaining"

????

That was stunning sporting drama. On the biggest stage in world sport. Phenomenal

I actually lost track of who I was cursing. Magnificent

I feel like you feel after a fucking amazing movie, only more so

Sport that good is wild. The match basically ended with the two greatest players in the world - Messi and Mbappe - taking endless shots at each other. Like two great heavyweights in a titanic slugfest

Wow
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Oh dear. He's a bit.... touchy feely. No wonder Mbappe looks creeped out
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Oh dear. He's a bit.... touchy feely.
    Isn't that just being french? Lot of cheek kisses amongst the french and argentinian teams.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Well done Argentina.

They were the best team.

"entertaining"

????

I actually lost track of who I was cursing. Magnificent

I feel like you feel after a fucking amazing movie, only more so

Sport that good is wild. The match basically ended with the two greatest players in the world - Messi and Mbappe - taking endless shots at each other. Like two great heavyweights in a titanic slugfest

Wow
    It's no Harry Brook century.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,890

I am not sure why the PB consensus seems to be that we should no longer even subject our foreign policy toward Ukraine to any form of cost/benefit analysis. It would be a colossal dereliction of duty on the part of the Government not to analyse this. If the reason is humanitarian, can anyone tell me why it's perfectly acceptable to leave Afghans to the tender mercies of the Taliban?

There’s no point because the strategic costs of Russia winning a so horrendous that it is a waste of time analysing. We are all in.
    How do you work that one out? Russian 'victory' even over the entirety of Ukraine would mean possession for Russia of a rebellious, resentful colony with a population that largely detests it. It would be a deeply unfortunate outcome but not one where I can see any unthinkable strategic cost to UK interests.
    Because you are a dick. If ukraine falls to russia then putin will not stop there. Stop being an apologist for him. Both he and many in his inner circle have said they want all of eastern europe back. If ukraine falls he would be invading somewhere else.....sheesh its like explaining algebra to the newly born with you. No wonder you were called putinguy
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,058

Well

It'll be interesting to see if this applies to historic posts (i.e. those that contained links in the past). Will they suddenly be removed or made invisible?

in fact, it'd be interesting to know how long a twitter post remains 'current' (i.e. how long after a twitter post is made before it is rarely seen). I'm guessing a couple of days for most posts, and shorter if someone regularly tweets.
    Funny who is and isn’t included. Discord, TikTok, YouTube, Reddit, Tumblr and OnlyFans all fine.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Well

Funny who is and isn’t included. Discord, TikTok, YouTube, Reddit, Tumblr and OnlyFans all fine.
    What is OnlyFans?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Oh dear. He's a bit.... touchy feely.
    Isn't that just being french? Lot of cheek kisses amongst the french and argentinian teams.
    Perhaps. But Mbappe looks terrifically uneasy? Maybe just sad that he lost

Plenty of rumours swirl around Macron and famous sportsmen
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

Well

What is OnlyFans?
    A rich vein of post headers?

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,073

Ghedebrav said:

Well

What is OnlyFans?
    It's a place for buying and selling cooling equipment. Understandable you haven't heard of it, it's more relevant in the summer.

OnlyHotties, on the other hand...
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

Well

What is OnlyFans?
    A platform particularly prioritising young entrepreneurs.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Well

The banned list is of all the social media sites which might be a rival to Twitter by replicating at least some of its main model. YouTube and OnlyFans do not do that
  • Options
    The only thing this World Cup was missing was the the little car bringing the ball to the centre circle.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

The banned list is of all the social media sites which might be a rival to Twitter by replicating at least some of its main model. YouTube and OnlyFans do not do that
    Question is whether Elon Musk ran it past the legal department (assuming he's not sacked it) regarding (a) monopoly and (b) publisher versus platform.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

Well

What is OnlyFans?
    A football site ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dont wish to boast but in one of my previous jobs I gave out the medals to a national sport championship and was really nervous and keen to not disrespect any player , winner or loser so it will be the same for these I imagine.
  • Options
    In all the excitement I missed it's predicted to be 13°C tomorrow up here.
    That's some thaw.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Ghedebrav said:

Well

What is OnlyFans?
    A shop.

• Options

Ghedebrav said:

Well

What is OnlyFans?
    Its where step moms go to make money
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I think you've misrepresented the reaction - there were multiple comments pointing out an issue with it was not any form analysis in itself, but that some of the benefits (and you would probably claim, negatives) are not tangible or measurable in a simple way. So if one relies on some kind of spreadsheet accounting of it you get the kind of bullcrap like criticising the cost of a missle versus the cost of what it blew up (even though what they hit varies and some will be more or less the cost of the missle, before you even get to the intangible analysis of the benefits of helping prevent invasion).

As for the Afghan question, life is unfair. But that's nothing more than an argument to never do anything anywhere ever, because states are not consistently moral, that if we cannot or do not do everything we should not do anything.
    Missiles do cost money. Of course the value of the ordinance sent to Ukraine needs at least to be monitored - presumably most of it requires replacing, or its absence reduces the UK's military capability.

Congratulations on missing the point - the objection I made, and it was very clear, was not about the counting the cost of a missle, but doing so in a way which is patently bullshit. Eg, someone complainaing about blowing up a 10k truck with a 50k missle (and someone did do that), even though another one might concievably blow up a tank worth 200k (these are not real numbers) as well, so simply looking at these things on a line by line financial basis doesn't make sense without looking at the whole picture, and the whole picture also includes the non financial context

In any case this is a bit of a red herring, as you're still not arguing on a cost benefit way either, though you are trying to present it that way, you are just arguing that no one should ever do anything in these situations because it is not consistently applied.

Why not just say that, instead of pretending it is about cost/benefit analysis? That's logically coherent, perhaps more so than those arguing occasional intervention. Muddling yourself up by introducing a suggestion it might be ok if the costs were different just confuses your message.

Am I to believe if we didn't face a cost of living crisis and if we had stayed in Afghanistan you'd support Ukrainian intervention? Come on, that't not believable.
    Japan has taken a look at what’s happened in Ukraine, conducted a CBA, and has doubled its defence budget overnight.
    TBF. Boris Johnson instituted a vast number of CBA's across a wide range of departments and topics.
    Whilst I agree with you in general, it's a little unfair to label Johnson in that manner when the topic is Ukraine. He very much could be arsed about what was going on, and acted in a strong and timely manner. Many other world 'leaders' did not.

(Hopefully even those who hate Johnson would be able to reluctantly agree with this.)
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Whilst I agree with you in general, it's a little unfair to label Johnson in that manner when the topic is Ukraine. He very much could be arsed about what was going on, and acted in a strong and timely manner. Many other world 'leaders' did not.

(Hopefully even those who hate Johnson would be able to reluctantly agree with this.)
    One of the few things he got right but agreed
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

In the letter’s case it’s probably going to be the other way around, judging by Musk’s recent floundering around.
  • Options

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Question is whether Elon Musk ran it past the legal department (assuming he's not sacked it) regarding (a) monopoly and (b) publisher versus platform.
    I don't see how this is monopolistic

Is the Guardian obliged to host adverts which say "don't read this lefty shit, come over to the Telegraph"?

No. Indeed the Guardian will censor any comments below the line which question the paper's probity, tax affairs, etc, and you will get banned for doing that
  • Options

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

*If* Twitter is the big boy in this particular social media space, then it does seem anticompetitive - other sites can feed into Twitter, but Twitter will not allow links to smaller potential rivals, allowing them to grow. Although as Facebook and Instagram are on the list, that might not be the case. But are FB and Instagram in the *same* space?

Will Facebook and Instagram respond in kind?

It'll be interesting to see how this works out, both legally and business-wise. But on a personal level, I quite like the Internet being as open as possible. If other companies do the same, we'll go further down the road of content walled gardens. And I think that's a bad thing.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,180
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Is the Guardian obliged to host adverts which say "don't read this lefty shit, come over to the Telegraph"?

No. Indeed the Guardian will censor any comments below the line which question the paper's probity, tax affairs, etc, and you will get banned for doing that
    Guardian is a publisher. Twitter claims to be a platform. Platforms are meant to be neutral.
  • Options
    My one and only football-related post this world cup:

Am I correct in seeing a little blip in electricity usage whilst the final was on?

https://grid.iamkate.com/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

But the Guardian (and all Fleet Street papers on their websites) does credit other papers with stories and interviews, and link to them. Twitter's statement as posted here seems to rule out all links, not just those that attack Twitter.
  • Options
    Wartime Cricket
    @CricketWartime

The first non-Essex CCC player to score a hat trick in an association football World Cup Final.

https://twitter.com/CricketWartime/status/1604541979437801480
  • Options

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

*If* Twitter is the big boy in this particular social media space, then it does seem anticompetitive - other sites can feed into Twitter, but Twitter will not allow links to smaller potential rivals, allowing them to grow. Although as Facebook and Instagram are on the list, that might not be the case. But are FB and Instagram in the *same* space?

It'll be interesting to see how this works out, both legally and business-wise. But on a personal level, I quite like the Internet being as open as possible. If other companies do the same, we'll go further down the road of content walled gardens. And I think that's a bad thing.
    Other sites already do this. You can't put URLs into an Insta post, for instance. You can't link through to other sites. Vastly frustrating and of course deliberate
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Meanwhile Twitter is going well on the Free Speech front...

We recognize that many of our users are active on other social media platforms. However, we will no longer allow free promotion of certain social media platforms on Twitter.

Specifically, we will remove accounts created solely for the purpose of promoting other social platforms and content that contains links or usernames for the following platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Mastodon, Truth Social, Tribel, Nostr and Post.

We still allow cross-posting content from any social media platform. Posting links or usernames to social media platforms not listed above are also not in violation of this policy.

https://twitter.com/TwitterSupport/status/1604531272226832387

This is explicit monopoly behaviour.
    No it's not. It is perfectly normal

Why should Twitter - privately owned - host people who are actively trying to bring down Twitter by promoting alternatives, and doing it on Twitter?

Let's say you own a pub. Are you morally obliged to let people into your pub who just stand there chanting "this pub is shit, and the owner is a freak, go to the Dog and Duck, we've got free doughnuts"?

No, you are not obliged to do that. And Musk is entitled to kick the Mastodon weirdos off the forum he owns
    I seemed to remember not that long ago when people defended banning of people on twitter under the guise of its a private company they can do what they want, it isn't the town square, now the same people seem upset that the same private company is doing the same things.

I am pretty sure other social media outlets have in the past (and present) have had policies about links to other social media and services e.g. pretty sure any mentions of an OnlyFans will get you the ban hammer from Instagram, SnapChat etc.

I believe Twitch are also very controlling of what you can and can't link to.
    I seemed to remember not that long ago people getting upset about the banning of people on twitter and bellowing about censorship, now the same people are defending the banning of people on twitter cos it's a private company.

A chacun ses souvenirs.
    Yes, but they started it

This is like Germans complaining about British bombers over Hamburg
    This is the idiocy of partisanship. It gets people to cheer on bad things for a race to the bottom.

I don't think anyone could sensibly describe me as part of the woke left "they", so is my criticism supposed to be swatted off too?
  • Options
    hmmm for some reason when it try to reply and quote getting a message body is 1 character to short. Posting without quoting as a test
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,232

My one and only football-related post this world cup:

Am I correct in seeing a little blip in electricity usage whilst the final was on?

https://grid.iamkate.com/

999 calls fall during big games too.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    WillG said:

DJ41 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

One problem with voluntary lockdown is what we saw time and again in the UK, given half an inch people were very quick to make full use of any relaxations, while always taking advantage of those until the very last second (remember all the people piling down the pubs on the night each night it was announced they would have to be closed).

Basically by the time people really got scared during each wave it was already too late and it was well spread...people reacted when their WhatsApp groups starting pinging that yet another member had COVID, which is too late because you probably now have it too.

After the initial lockdown, I think we need to have a set of rules that we just stuck with i.e. none of this moving between tiers / in and out of lockdowns.

Questions around schools I think are the really valid things. Yes kids will have spread it among themselves, but all that disruption for 2 years have caused so much damage.

We must never have any types of lockdowns ever again IMO. If vulnerable people want to isolate themselves, they can choose to do so.
    Indeed. And we are only now just beginning to see the damage they have done. To everything. From mental health to cancer care to kids educations to public finances to city centres to public services - and on and on

I wonder what history will make of us, and this
    Kids education is the only one that could possibly be considered a greater cost than an extra 100-200k+ dead, which would have happened with no lockdown.

Lockdown was the correct policy, though we should probably have not applied it to kids education.

As for all this mental health complaining, whatever happened to having a bit of grit? Mental health can recover. People can't come back from the dead.
    And you're talking about grit in the same breath as cheerleading the state.
    Your point doesn't make any sense at all.
    They are slaves who fear to speak
    For the fallen and the weak;
    They are slaves who will not choose
    Hatred, scoffing , and abuse,
    Rather than in silence shrink
    From the truth they needs must think;
    They are slaves who dare not be
    In the right with two or three.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Other sites already do this. You can't put URLs into an Insta post, for instance. You can't link through to other sites. Vastly frustrating and of course deliberate
    World governments need to start regulating this stuff properly. Either you are a publisher or you are a platform. Platforms should have to be neutral and, over a certain size, should face regulation like a utility, ensuring they are treating people fairly. America won't do it, as their system is owned by corporate interest, but the EU and UK should step up.

What is very sad is how much HMG bows to the interests of a handful of monopolists even though they don't benefit that much from political donations. It's a pure subservience mentality.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

One problem with voluntary lockdown is what we saw time and again in the UK, given half an inch people were very quick to make full use of any relaxations, while always taking advantage of those until the very last second (remember all the people piling down the pubs on the night each night it was announced they would have to be closed).

Basically by the time people really got scared during each wave it was already too late and it was well spread...people reacted when their WhatsApp groups starting pinging that yet another member had COVID, which is too late because you probably now have it too.

After the initial lockdown, I think we need to have a set of rules that we just stuck with i.e. none of this moving between tiers / in and out of lockdowns.

Questions around schools I think are the really valid things. Yes kids will have spread it among themselves, but all that disruption for 2 years have caused so much damage.

We must never have any types of lockdowns ever again IMO. If vulnerable people want to isolate themselves, they can choose to do so.
    Indeed. And we are only now just beginning to see the damage they have done. To everything. From mental health to cancer care to kids educations to public finances to city centres to public services - and on and on

Kids education is the only one that could possibly be considered a greater cost than an extra 100-200k+ dead, which would have happened with no lockdown.

Lockdown was the correct policy, though we should probably have not applied it to kids education.

As for all this mental health complaining, whatever happened to having a bit of grit? Mental health can recover. People can't come back from the dead.
    Going into abstract poetry because you can't make a logical argument.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

World governments need to start regulating this stuff properly. Either you are a publisher or you are a platform. Platforms should have to be neutral and, over a certain size, should face regulation like a utility, ensuring they are treating people fairly. America won't do it, as their system is owned by corporate interest, but the EU and UK should step up.

What is very sad is how much HMG bows to the interests of a handful of monopolists even though they don't benefit that much from political donations. It's a pure subservience mentality.
    Being neutral does not mean you have to allow people to advertise your competitors. And frankly world governements have to regulate this stuff? Really I wouldnt trust any governement to regulate the internet thats when we get the shit we do like the uk's online safety bill, the us KOSA act, the EU copyright and DSA acts and the austrailians declaring the law of mathematics does not trump the laws of australia
  • Options
    WillG said:

DJ41 said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

No he is just talking about russian people
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,723
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

The defining feature of the web is the hyperlink. I'm going to have to set up my own website.

That's essentially the choice people have. Put in the effort to use the freedoms of the internet, or accept private companies telling them what is allowed.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough. And Vaccination.
    Pity about the rest.
  • Options

Wartime Cricket
    @CricketWartime

The first non-Essex CCC player to score a hat trick in an association football World Cup Final.

First to be born out with Ashton-under-Lyne too.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Guardian is a publisher. Twitter claims to be a platform. Platforms are meant to be neutral.
    Twitter wasn't neutral in 2020.
  • Options
    WillG said:

DJ41 said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

That obedience doesn't imply bravery or "grit" is self-evident and doesn't require a logical argument, even if an entire raft of sealions say they want one.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,232
    dixiedean said:

Wartime Cricket
    @CricketWartime

Birth place of two World Cup winning footballers, but for different countries.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,058
    dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

Just rejoice at that news.
    A wonderful game of football, the right eventual result despite me having supported France throughout, and 13C tomorrow. T-shirt coming out of the drawer this evening. And f you Putin.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,275
    Driver said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Twitter wasn't neutral in 2020.
    Removing dick pics isn't a breach of neutrality.
  • Options
    Lyra in his dark materials very much cut from the same cloth as L in Stranger Things.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Wartime Cricket
    @CricketWartime

Yeah.
    Simone Perrotta 2006.
    Jimmy Armfield was born in Denton as well.
  • Options
    TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

A wonderful game of football, the right eventual result despite me having supported France throughout, and 13C tomorrow. T-shirt coming out of the drawer this evening. And f you Putin.
    I have a new favourite genre of Tweeter, the American sports pundit who has just clocked on to soccerball and is now suggesting great new ways to improve the sport like abolishing the "shootouts" and having goals the size of Manhattan and three halves of six minutes each
  • Options
    TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

Indeed. Although I've been wearing the T-shirt all along.
    With vest, shirt, big jumper, fleece, coat and woolly hat, too, mind.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

I have a new favourite genre of Tweeter, the American sports pundit who has just clocked on to soccerball and is now suggesting great new ways to improve the sport like abolishing the "shootouts" and having goals the size of Manhattan and three halves of six minutes each
    Not only is the World Cup the greatest single sporting trophy in the world (runner up: 100m Olympic gold), and not only one North Americans don’t understand, but also one regularly - and now for the first time in ages - won by an “American” team.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

Indeed. Although I've been wearing the T-shirt all along.
    With vest, shirt, big jumper, fleece, coat and woolly hat, too, mind.
    My discovery this season has been the t-shirt (or long sleeved version) under the shirt. Still missing for me were the long johns to warm the legs.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

Although I've been reading a lot of the US coverage to catch up with match reports I've missed whilst teaching.
    The level of analysis and tactical nous puts our newspaper reporting to shame. (At least amongst their dedicated soccer writers).
    It's almost as if they analyse it as a sport not a soap opera.
    No one ever seems to win or lose because of more or not enough "passion".
    They don't just tell you what happened, but endeavour to explain why it did.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,551
    There's no such thing as a perfect sports happening but that WC final was as close as you can get. My only quibbles -

I'd have preferred a last second Argentinian winner for 4/3 rather than penalties.

That 'robe' they made Messi wear.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,950
    Evening all :)

One of the great games of football, as we all hoped it would be.

As for the departing snow, it's barely a week ago it was falling out of the winter night covering everything and for some in my part of the world, the sheer sense of wonder at this new experience. We may love snow or hate it but if you've never seen it before...

A week on and it's a grey icy slush clinging on as the rain and warmth pounds it to oblivion. Whatever charm it had has gone - it's the past, it's yesterday and we've moved on and it must.

Yet this recent cold spell will live in the memory not just for the snow but the sparkling clear days and winter sunshine which stood in contrast to the usual mild and wet murk of the British midwinter.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Musk had something to say about such foolishness, once upon a time.
    https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1604559225883168768
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

There's no such thing as a perfect sports happening but that WC final was as close as you can get. My only quibbles -

I'd have preferred a last second Argentinian winner for 4/3 rather than penalties.

That 'robe' they made Messi wear.

Ha yeah, the robe was a bit rum. Closing/presentation ceremonies are always a bit daft and cringy though.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,441
    Wow that was incredible.

In footballing terms it has been a brilliant World Cup and that was an epic, thrilling, final. Stunning stuff.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

That obedience doesn't imply bravery or "grit" is self-evident and doesn't require a logical argument, even if an entire raft of sealions say they want one.
    It's nothing to do with obedience. We aren't talking about the cucks following a petulant dictator like Putin here. We are talking about a democratically supported decision to protect our fellow citizens lives during a temporary period of national emergency.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Heathener said:

Wow that was incredible.

In footballing terms it has been a brilliant World Cup and that was an epic, thrilling, final. Stunning stuff.

Maybe a Winter World Cup isn't too bad an idea?
    It's been the most goals ever. Can't see that repeated in a stifling N American Summer.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Musk had something to say about such foolishness, once upon a time.
    https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1604559225883168768
    Elon Musk is clearly deeply inconsistent over every value he has ever professed. He fits right at home in the Republican Party.

"There must be in-groups whom the rules protect but do not bind, alongside out-groups whom the rules bind but do not protect."
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Wow that was incredible.

How's The Battle Of Brisbane going?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,441
    dixiedean said:

Heathener said:

Wow that was incredible.

Maybe a Winter World Cup isn't too bad an idea?
    It's been the most goals ever. Can't see that repeated in a stifling N American Summer.
    Yeah I think the same. I have a theory. The players who weren't injured came into the tournament at peak match fitness and it really showed. They were sharp and fast.

Contrast that to the summer tournaments when they're noticeably more sluggish, at least to start with.

Of course, being at that kind of peak physical fitness also makes you more susceptible to injury: it's part of the paradox. Like thoroughbred race horses.

But also relatively cool pitches as you say. It was a thrilling tournament and an epic final to conclude it.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

Although I've been reading a lot of the US coverage to catch up with match reports I've missed whilst teaching.
    The level of analysis and tactical nous puts our newspaper reporting to shame. (At least amongst their dedicated soccer writers).
    Yes, I agree. The NYT/Athletic is particularly good - they've hired a lot of the best British writers. They can afford it. It's the casual viewers who make stunningly naff remarks

Football has a good chance of overtaking baseball in the USA

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Turnout in the Tunisian parliamentary election yesterday was 9%.

Kais Saied, the president who crafted it, worked for years as a law professor. Clearly he is a genius not only at helmsmanship and political reform but also at legitimacy engineering and public relations more generally.

I wonder whether he will stay in office, because that's an epic slap in the face that the population just gave him.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Wartime Cricket
    @CricketWartime

Yeah.
    Simone Perrotta 2006.
    Jimmy Armfield was born in Denton as well.
    Crap rail service though!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,464
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

Yes, I agree. The NYT/Athletic is particularly good - they've hired a lot of the best British writers. They can afford it. It's the casual viewers who make stunningly naff remarks

It has, but it should set its sights on overtaking basketball and ice hockey first.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

It already has. It now had basketball in its sights. Gridiron is way out in front but is also facing steep declines.
  • Options
    I think we've had near enough a 50°C temperature range in Hampshire this year.

Max at 39C and min at -8C, so far.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

It has, but it should set its sights on overtaking basketball and ice hockey first.
    Ice hockey is way behind both baseball and soccer.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,339
    Pope Francis celebrating victory for his home nation in the World Cup, having blessed the Argentine flag yesterday ahead of the match v France today.

https://twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ/status/1604560984961699842?s=20&t=qqcESgrQ0NrCKb1QGwbBNA
    https://twitter.com/AdamMaina_/status/1604330231112007680?s=20&t=qqcESgrQ0NrCKb1QGwbBNA

An invite to the Vatican for devout Roman Catholic Messi and the team surely on the cards
  • Options
    WillG said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

Not by revenue it’s not. The NHL is still way ahead of MLS

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

Unpopular take, but you have to hand it to FIFA - in terms of growing the sport, they are superb. They might be corrupt as fuck, but this World Cup has turned into a dream showcase for football, to take it even further. The winter timing has emerged as a masterstroke

They must be chuffed in Geneva
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

Being neutral does not mean you have to allow people to advertise your competitors. And frankly world governements have to regulate this stuff? Really I wouldnt trust any governement to regulate the internet thats when we get the shit we do like the uk's online safety bill, the us KOSA act, the EU copyright and DSA acts and the austrailians declaring the law of mathematics does not trump the laws of australia
    All of those are better than the world's information flows being distorted by the whims of the Elon Musks of the world. Democratic governments are held accountable to public elections. Megalomanic billionaires are held accountable to no-one.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well

All of those are better than the world's information flows being distorted by the whims of the Elon Musks of the world. Democratic governments are held accountable to public elections. Megalomanic billionaires are held accountable to no-one.
    Also, no-one is requiring Twitter advertise their competitors. They would not be being made to publish anything. But they don't claim to be a publisher, they claim to be a platform, and platforms should be required to be neutral to all.
  • Options

Yes, that will be matched across much of the south of England, I suspect. The departing cold spell has been the most memorable in December since 2010 not least for the longevity of snow lying and the number of days of prolonged cold.

Only one actual ice day in my part of London (last Sunday) where the temperature stayed below freezing all day - most days we've had an hour or so in early afternoon where the temperature crept a degree above freezing.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

That's because American soccer fans spend a lot of their money on international soccer from England and Spain.
  • Options
    WillG said:

DougSeal said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

That's because American soccer fans spend a lot of their money on international soccer from England and Spain.
    By what quantifiable metric is it “ahead” then?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    edited December 2022
    A cruel day to have a five hour power cut.....

Although hats off to guys fixing high voltage power lines in 50 mph winds. No strikes from them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pope Francis celebrating victory for his home nation in the World Cup, having blessed the Argentine flag yesterday ahead of the match v France today.

https://twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ/status/1604560984961699842?s=20&t=qqcESgrQ0NrCKb1QGwbBNA
    https://twitter.com/AdamMaina_/status/1604330231112007680?s=20&t=qqcESgrQ0NrCKb1QGwbBNA

An invite to the Vatican for devout Roman Catholic Messi and the team surely on the cards

He's a big fan of San Lorenzo.
    Which helps his popularity, as they aren't one of the big clubs.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,632
    stodge said:

Yes, that will be matched across much of the south of England, I suspect. The departing cold spell has been the most memorable in December since 2010 not least for the longevity of snow lying and the number of days of prolonged cold.

Only one actual ice day in my part of London (last Sunday) where the temperature stayed below freezing all day - most days we've had an hour or so in early afternoon where the temperature crept a degree above freezing.
    No snow here at all; just a bit of ground frost at dawn. But warmer now, but horribly wet today.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

Although what proportion of the NHL's revenue is derived from Canada?
  • Options
    Back to politics and let's make some time next year to chew over the Luxembourg political scene ahead of their next general election.

The three party Government headed by Xavier Bettel polled 47.6% in the October 2018 election but the latest polls have the combined vote share of the Social Democrats, Democratic Party and Greens at 50.2%.

The opposition centre-right Christian Social People's Party is on 23.3%, five points down from 2018 but is still the party attracting the largest vote share. They polled 1,800 out of a population of 608,000 - that would be akin to polling a million people for an opinion poll here.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,892
    French Minister for Digital:

Any attempt to remove my tweets that link to my other social media accounts, not violating any law, would actually make #twitter an editorial media, and no longer a social media platform, with civil and criminal liability for *any* illegal content therein.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

Unpopular take, but you have to hand it to FIFA - in terms of growing the sport, they are superb. They might be corrupt as fuck, but this World Cup has turned into a dream showcase for football, to take it even further. The winter timing has emerged as a masterstroke

As long as they don't follow through on the stupid idea to have a World Cup every 2 years.

A huge part of the attraction of a World Cup is the relative rarity of it.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

You can ask the same question of MLS, the NBA and MLB (Toronto has teams in all 3 for example). The NFL is unusual in not having a Canadian franchise.
  • Options

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

As long as they don't follow through on the stupid idea to have a World Cup every 2 years.

A huge part of the attraction of a World Cup is the relative rarity of it.
    That can't happen because it would fuck with European leagues and the European champ tourney. And UEFA and the big leagues are easily as powerful as FIFA
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Any attempt to remove my tweets that link to my other social media accounts, not violating any law, would actually make #twitter an editorial media, and no longer a social media platform, with civil and criminal liability for *any* illegal content therein.

I’m not sure Musk had learned how to deal with Europeans yet. His whole business frame of reference is the US.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

That's some thaw.

You can ask the same question of MLS, the NBA and MLB (Toronto has teams in all 3 for example). The NFL is unusual in not having a Canadian franchise.
    Yeah, but Toronto has the only Canadian team in the NBA and MLB now after the Grizzlies and Expos respectively relocated 20-ish years ago.

The economic centre of the NHL is north of the border.
  • Options

Éric Freyssinet is not a minister. He's deputy head of the French cyber police.

Liability, he says? It's hardly as if courts in France or any other country keep throwing authors of tweets in jail for anything or making financial awards against them in civil cases.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Messi is yet to win the FA Cup and Premiership.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,441
    edited December 2022
    Course he is, the mooby ****.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Jonathan said:

Messi is yet to win the FA Cup and Premiership.

As Messi is yet to play for an English club, he has only played for Barcelona and Paris SG
  • Options

Course he is, the mooby ****.

If you were the richest man in the world (or 2nd richest man), wouldn't you take the opportunity to go to every big event that interested you? After you buy x houses, cars, boats, yachts, experiences are the big thing that I think most people would constantly splurge on (plus they get invited to loads of them anyway).
  • Options
    stodge said:

Back to politics and let's make some time next year to chew over the Luxembourg political scene ahead of their next general election.

The three party Government headed by Xavier Bettel polled 47.6% in the October 2018 election but the latest polls have the combined vote share of the Social Democrats, Democratic Party and Greens at 50.2%.

The opposition centre-right Christian Social People's Party is on 23.3%, five points down from 2018 but is still the party attracting the largest vote share. They polled 1,800 out of a population of 608,000 - that would be akin to polling a million people for an opinion poll here.

All very interesting, but it has fewer electors than for Essex county council
This discussion has been closed.