Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

They’re trolling us now. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,673

I am not sure why the PB consensus seems to be that we should no longer even subject our foreign policy toward Ukraine to any form of cost/benefit analysis. It would be a colossal dereliction of duty on the part of the Government not to analyse this. If the reason is humanitarian, can anyone tell me why it's perfectly acceptable to leave Afghans to the tender mercies of the Taliban?

There’s no point because the strategic costs of Russia winning a so horrendous that it is a waste of time analysing. We are all in.
    How do you work that one out? Russian 'victory' even over the entirety of Ukraine would mean possession for Russia of a rebellious, resentful colony with a population that largely detests it. It would be a deeply unfortunate outcome but not one where I can see any unthinkable strategic cost to UK interests.
    Do you think the Russians would stop there?
    I am sure factions within Russia would want to carry on invading places, and other factions would want to consolidate its gains. It is also highly probable in that instance that the West would sponsor a Ukrainian resistance movement and the status of Ukraine as Russian would not be settled for decades if ever. The nations surrounding Russian Ukraine would also end up being heavily garrisoned by NATO forces. None of that is satisfactory, but it isn't a doomsday scenario for Britain either.

What I am afraid is a doomsday scenario is energy prices at their current levels, which simply make our economy unworkable - unable to compete with other economies. That will just eviscerate us and leave us incapable of fighting Russia or anyone else.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,727
    Scott_xP said:

ping said:

Looks like I cashed out of my france outright bet at the right time…

I looked at it, and let it ride...
    At least we will be spared the ultimate nightmare of a French football World Cup win, then a French rugby World Cup win, then an exultant Olympics in Paris
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,095

kle4 said:

I've noticed that even when Messi has not played particularly well the headlines tend to be along the lines of 'Messi and Argentina through to next round', as if he was somehow separate from them, or that the real story is about his journey rather than that of the time. The surprising thing is if the reaction of his team mates is anything to go by, like when they one the Copa America, they see it in a similar way. Which is a contrast to some other big name players and their national teams.

Messi has scored in every round, whether or not he is playing particularly well, and is leading scorer in this World Cup, as Gary Lineker was in 1986.
    It was a general observation going back well before this world cup.
  • Options
    Argentina already time wasting.....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,985

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I’m a Markle skeptic, but Jeremy Clarkson’s despicable comments in the Sun have somehow pushed me into Camp Meghan.

Much of the article was spot on, she and her husband have spent the last week whinging like ungrateful brats from their California mansion for Netflix millions trashing the family that made them and even the British public.

They even had the audacity to mock the Kensington and Chelsea house they were gifted by the Queen

Yes we always had unimpeachable royals before an American with the wrong skin tone turned up. And I bet she didn't vote Trump!

I believe the biggest scandal is Markle's unprovoked attack on the Daily Mail and the Sun. Two of Britain's greatest bastions of truth.

I'm being snarky. If she and Harry brought the whole sorry edifice down, I'd doff my cap to 'em.
    They won’t for starters both are almost as unpopular as Prince Andrew with the British public now.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/12/09/after-prince-andrew-prince-harry-and-meghan-markle

Plus without their royal links they are just a dim ex captain with poor A levels and a C- list actress

You are comparing the alleged villainy of a man accused of sex offences with a couple who have a beef with the Daily Mail and are critical of the palace for not being supportive.

Anyway what's his educational qualifications got to do with anything? And correct me if I am wrong but this mere Captain saw more hostile fire than you did in Afghanistan.
    Really? I’d be very surprised if Harry was let anywhere near the enemy
    He flew 100 missions, mostly operating the weapons systems as co-pilot, including close combat air support:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prince-harry-completes-tour-of-duty-in-afghanistan.

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Foxy said:

I am not sure why the PB consensus seems to be that we should no longer even subject our foreign policy toward Ukraine to any form of cost/benefit analysis. It would be a colossal dereliction of duty on the part of the Government not to analyse this. If the reason is humanitarian, can anyone tell me why it's perfectly acceptable to leave Afghans to the tender mercies of the Taliban?

There’s no point because the strategic costs of Russia winning a so horrendous that it is a waste of time analysing. We are all in.
    It is still worth looking at what is most effective at supporting Ukraine, and what was less useful.
    Of course. But we know that’s not our Putin-loving companion’s objective
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,333
    edited December 2022
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

ping said:

At least we will be spared the ultimate nightmare of a French football World Cup win, then a French rugby World Cup win, then an exultant Olympics in Paris
    I think France will be very lucky to beat Steroid South Africa and New Zealand ....and the Olympics could be a shit show like the Champions league final...
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,826
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I’m a Markle skeptic, but Jeremy Clarkson’s despicable comments in the Sun have somehow pushed me into Camp Meghan.

Much of the article was spot on, she and her husband have spent the last week whinging like ungrateful brats from their California mansion for Netflix millions trashing the family that made them and even the British public.

They even had the audacity to mock the Kensington and Chelsea house they were gifted by the Queen

Yes we always had unimpeachable royals before an American with the wrong skin tone turned up. And I bet she didn't vote Trump!

I believe the biggest scandal is Markle's unprovoked attack on the Daily Mail and the Sun. Two of Britain's greatest bastions of truth.

I'm being snarky. If she and Harry brought the whole sorry edifice down, I'd doff my cap to 'em.
    They won’t for starters both are almost as unpopular as Prince Andrew with the British public now.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/12/09/after-prince-andrew-prince-harry-and-meghan-markle

Plus without their royal links they are just a dim ex captain with poor A levels and a C- list actress

You are comparing the alleged villainy of a man accused of sex offences with a couple who have a beef with the Daily Mail and are critical of the palace for not being supportive.

Anyway what's his educational qualifications got to do with anything? And correct me if I am wrong but this mere Captain saw more hostile fire than you did in Afghanistan.
    He flew 100 missions, mostly operating the weapons systems as co-pilot, including close combat air support:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prince-harry-completes-tour-of-duty-in-afghanistan.

There has to be a slight question mark on that if he says he was scared by his brother's shouting.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,173
    Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

One problem with voluntary lockdown is what we saw time and again in the UK, given half an inch people were very quick to make full use of any relaxations, while always taking advantage of those until the very last second (remember all the people piling down the pubs on the night each night it was announced they would have to be closed).

Basically by the time people really got scared during each wave it was already too late and it was well spread...people reacted when their WhatsApp groups starting pinging that yet another member had COVID, which is too late because you probably now have it too.

After the initial lockdown, I think we need to have a set of rules that we just stuck with i.e. none of this moving between tiers / in and out of lockdowns.

Questions around schools I think are the really valid things. Yes kids will have spread it among themselves, but all that disruption for 2 years have caused so much damage.

We must never have any types of lockdowns ever again IMO. If vulnerable people want to isolate themselves, they can choose to do so.
    Indeed. And we are only now just beginning to see the damage they have done. To everything. From mental health to cancer care to kids educations to public finances to city centres to public services - and on and on

I wonder what history will make of us, and this
    Kids education is the only one that could possibly be considered a greater cost than an extra 100-200k+ dead, which would have happened with no lockdown.

Lockdown was the correct policy, though we should probably have not applied it to kids education.

As for all this mental health complaining, whatever happened to having a bit of grit? Mental health can recover. People can't come back from the dead.
    I’m guessing you are one of those introverts with a proper house and garden and family at hand. Like so many of the lockdown fans

The psychological damage wrought by lockdown is enormous
    I am an extrovert and the only socializing I did for about a year was sitting across the street from my neighbours in deckchairs. Yes, I have a family, but looking after a baby and a toddler with no parental or babysitter support made lockdown harder not easier.

I am not a "fan" of lockdown in the same way I would not have been a "fan" of blackouts during the Blitz. I do, however, accept that mental hardship is not a greater cost than being dead. Which is what people ranting at the state were happy for others to do rather than face some adversity themselves.
  • Options

Foxy said:

It is still worth looking at what is most effective at supporting Ukraine, and what was less useful.
    I find it rather pathetic when having a fairly reasoned debate with questions and answers back and forth, when 'Putin-loving' gets dusted down. It signals a great lack of confidence in your own argument.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Clarkson must be jolly pleased that he’s short circuited all those with a sense of humour bypass.

You should write to him in support, there are probably niche clubs you join.
    Come on, it was at least a BIT funny
    Not to me. I think it’s disgraceful, cruel and dehumanising language.
    It’s tasteless gibberish from an ageing man with a love of attention. Worse, it’s not funny

Clarkson is very funny - a comic genius in his timing (see the latest Grand Tour) - and a pretty good writer. But that column is puerile. A mistake
    What did he write?
    That Meghan Markle shouldn’t be allowed to throw shit at people unable to defend themselves, but instead should have shit thrown at her

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,948

Foxy said:

There are 2, but only one’s being paid.
  • Options
    I bet this is eating Ronaldo inside....
  • Options

Foxy said:

I find it rather pathetic when having a fairly reasoned debate with questions and answers back and forth, when 'Putin-loving' gets dusted down. It signals a great lack of confidence in your own argument.
    You’re literally arguing we should sit back and let Russia take over the whole of Ukraine.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There has to be a slight question mark on that if he says he was scared by his brother's shouting.
    Different issue. Soldiers train for combat, but can still be vulnerable when their formerly close family turn against them.

• Options

How do you work that one out? Russian 'victory' even over the entirety of Ukraine would mean possession for Russia of a rebellious, resentful colony with a population that largely detests it. It would be a deeply unfortunate outcome but not one where I can see any unthinkable strategic cost to UK interests.
    Because they would roll into the Baltics and Poland next.

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,692
    edited December 2022
    I think someone fat-fingered a bet on France who dipped to 6 on Betfair.

ETA It could have been an artefact of all the betting/laying action switching to Argentina.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

One problem with voluntary lockdown is what we saw time and again in the UK, given half an inch people were very quick to make full use of any relaxations, while always taking advantage of those until the very last second (remember all the people piling down the pubs on the night each night it was announced they would have to be closed).

Basically by the time people really got scared during each wave it was already too late and it was well spread...people reacted when their WhatsApp groups starting pinging that yet another member had COVID, which is too late because you probably now have it too.

After the initial lockdown, I think we need to have a set of rules that we just stuck with i.e. none of this moving between tiers / in and out of lockdowns.

Questions around schools I think are the really valid things. Yes kids will have spread it among themselves, but all that disruption for 2 years have caused so much damage.

We must never have any types of lockdowns ever again IMO. If vulnerable people want to isolate themselves, they can choose to do so.
    Indeed. And we are only now just beginning to see the damage they have done. To everything. From mental health to cancer care to kids educations to public finances to city centres to public services - and on and on

Kids education is the only one that could possibly be considered a greater cost than an extra 100-200k+ dead, which would have happened with no lockdown.

Lockdown was the correct policy, though we should probably have not applied it to kids education.

As for all this mental health complaining, whatever happened to having a bit of grit? Mental health can recover. People can't come back from the dead.
    I’m guessing you are one of those introverts with a proper house and garden and family at hand. Like so many of the lockdown fans

I am an extrovert and the only socializing I did for about a year was sitting across the street from my neighbours in deckchairs. Yes, I have a family, but looking after a baby and a toddler with no parental or babysitter support made lockdown harder not easier.

I am not a "fan" of lockdown in the same way I would not have been a "fan" of blackouts during the Blitz. I do, however, accept that mental hardship is not a greater cost than being dead. Which is what people ranting at the state were happy for others to do rather than face some adversity themselves.
    The dead would have been mainly old fat unhealthy people

We shattered and impoverished society to save a bunch of 80 year olds. It was a disastrous error
  • Options
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

You’re literally arguing we should sit back and let Russia take over the whole of Ukraine.
    No I am not; I am arguing that our Ukraine policy, like every other foreign or domestic policy, must be subject to analysis of the costs and benefits, and potentially to change if the costs become too high and the benefits become too few. That isn't an outlandish concept, and it's bizarre that it's being treated as such.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Different issue. Soldiers train for combat, but can still be vulnerable when their formerly close family turn against them.

That's true of course, but scared seems the wrong emotion. Of course it was the future King allegedly shouting, and that might make a difference.
  • Options

Possibly - the danger of that is part of the analysis of the policy.
  • Options

Foxy said:

You are an apologist for an evil regime.

“On the one hand, on the other… it’s only fair to take Russian lies at face value until they are disproven… maybe MH17 wasn’t actually shot down by them…”

Motives matter.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,809

I am sure factions within Russia would want to carry on invading places, and other factions would want to consolidate its gains. It is also highly probable in that instance that the West would sponsor a Ukrainian resistance movement and the status of Ukraine as Russian would not be settled for decades if ever. The nations surrounding Russian Ukraine would also end up being heavily garrisoned by NATO forces. None of that is satisfactory, but it isn't a doomsday scenario for Britain either.

What I am afraid is a doomsday scenario is energy prices at their current levels, which simply make our economy unworkable - unable to compete with other economies. That will just eviscerate us and leave us incapable of fighting Russia or anyone else.
    Except that energy prices are now falling on the world markets. Especially LNG futures.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

We shattered and impoverished society to save a bunch of 80 year olds. It was a disastrous error
    The Government had a hugely difficult decision to make. Letting the plague rip would've resulted in carnage.

OTOH I completely get the anger. This is a society that almost entirely subordinates the needs, interests and wishes of the young to those of the old. It will destroy us in the end.
  • Options

TimS said:

Foxy said:

No I am not; I am arguing that our Ukraine policy, like every other foreign or domestic policy, must be subject to analysis of the costs and benefits, and potentially to change if the costs become too high and the benefits become too few. That isn't an outlandish concept, and it's bizarre that it's being treated as such.
    You get a general thumbs up from me. To my mind you're a a rather great poster.

(@Luckyguy1983 )
  • Options

Except that energy prices are now falling on the world markets. Especially LNG futures.
    I am pleased and relieved to hear that. I can only imagine how dynamic our economy would be if energy prices were at US levels. It is the crux of everything.
  • Options
    Are we sure the players in dark blue aren't the Scottish National team ;-)
  • Options
    Omnium said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

You get a general thumbs up from me. To my mind you're a a rather great poster.

(@Luckyguy1983 )
    Ta! x
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    edited December 2022
    Penalty
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That's true of course, but scared seems the wrong emotion. Of course it was the future King allegedly shouting, and that might make a difference.
    His brother, who was his closest confidant too for many years.

It is rather ironic though that the only two Royals who served in wars are the two who are person nongrata.
  • Options
    Penalty to France!
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207

To put it politely I don't agree. Helping Ukraine is a very cost effective way of reducing the military effectiveness of Russia, which is what most of our military capability historically has been focused on.

And high energy prices are probably something we need to get serious about getting away from fossil fuels. I can't remember who said the quote about wasting a crisis, but it seems very appropriate at the moment.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,152
    2-1
  • Options
    Goal !!!
  • Options
    edited December 2022

These disappointments are relative. He at least has a European Championship win to his name, which is more than can be said about any England player, ever.

EDIT: I am talking specifically about the serially faceplanting men's side, of course.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Meanwhile from ChatGPT world:

Here are a few interesting things you might not know:

The shortest war in history was between Britain and Zanzibar on August 27, 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after just 38 minutes.
    The only planet in our solar system that rotates clockwise is Venus.
    The term "butterfly" was originally used to describe a butter-colored fly.
    The longest word in the English language, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. It is a technical word used to describe a lung disease caused by inhaling very fine silicate or quartz dust.
    The world's largest snowflake on record was reported to have fallen in Montana in 1887, and was 15 inches wide, 8 inches thick, and 18 inches in diameter.
  • Options

Foxy said:

“On the one hand, on the other… it’s only fair to take Russian lies at face value until they are disproven… maybe MH17 wasn’t actually shot down by them…”

Motives matter.
    Meanwhile the actual professional on the site is (usually) a lot more subtle about it.

But I think I do understand LuckyGuy’s world view. In my book it’s a category error: it’s founded on the idea “they’re all as bad as each other” and the US is an international bully that needs counterbalancing. This leads to a form of realpolitik. I get that, but I think it presupposes Russia is fundamentally just a flawed but normal state. I don’t think it is.
  • Options

I am pleased and relieved to hear that. I can only imagine how dynamic our economy would be if energy prices were at US levels. It is the crux of everything.
    No, not everything. It is a considerable impact on short term economics though. Which is why depending on Russia is for lunatics.

The fall is caused by more US operations coming back on line, various LNG projects coming on line and a flood of new* LNG tanker are entering the market.

*The initial batches are reconditioned tankers and existing construction that has been accelerated. The first all new LNG tankers from the wave sparked by the Ukraine war are still building.
  • Options
    Goal!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    Football, bloody hell.
  • Options
    Mbappe!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221

Possibly - the danger of that is part of the analysis of the policy.
    Given your 'analysis' of the MH17 incident (you just spewed out whatever was emanating from Russia), your 'analysis' of anything to do with Russia is highly suspect.

Have you read the Dutch MH17 report yet, comrade?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,152
    edited December 2022
    "Gardenwalker said:
    I’m a Markle skeptic, but Jeremy Clarkson’s despicable comments in the Sun have somehow pushed me into Camp Meghan."

I wouldn't allow myself to be influenced either way by someone like Clarkson.
  • Options
    Don't cry for me Argentina.
  • Options
    OMG!

2-2!
  • Options
    2:2.

The Curse of Leondamus lives!
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    Fk me
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

ping said:

The curse of Leondamus is still strong.
  • Options

Are we sure the players in dark blue aren't the Scottish National team ;-)

LOL
  • Options
    pigeon said:

These disappointments are relative. He at least has a European Championship win to his name, which is more than can be said about any England player, ever.
    Ronaldo doesn't care about that, he wants to be remembered as the best player of his generation. Messi wins the world cup i think it will have many more people saying Messi was the better player.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,552
    Allez les bleus!
  • Options
    Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

The US is a pretty good guide to age profiles for a much maxer lockdown policy. There, the majority of deaths from COVID were under 80. Almost a third were under 65. So that would have probably have been half a million working age deaths in the UK with a conservative 2% death rate. And that's excluding additional deaths from hospitals being unable to take people for any emergency because they would literally have had no beds left.

A pretty horrific death toll even ignoring the massive extra
  • Options
    Game on
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

The US is a pretty good guide to age profiles for a much maxer lockdown policy. There, the majority of deaths from COVID were under 80. Almost a third were under 65. So that would have probably have been half a million working age deaths in the UK with a conservative 2% death rate. And that's excluding additional deaths from hospitals being unable to take people for any emergency because they would literally have had no beds left.

A pretty horrific death toll even ignoring the massive extra
    ...psychological burden from the death.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is rather ironic though that the only two Royals who served in wars are the two who are person nongrata.
    The military seem to show little support for either of them. (Even Harry's disabled games seem not to be quite embraced)
  • Options
    2:0 to Argentina would have been enough, save for the toxic intervention of our Leon…
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,031
    Wow!
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    France to lift the cup matched at 50, 5 mins ago, before the goals.

Now 1.77 Arg / 2.3 Fr
  • Options
    My bets on both side scoring and on total goals >2.5 paid off…
  • Options
    One problem France have is they have 27 attackers on...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

2:0 to Argentina would have been enough, save for the toxic intervention of our Leon…

Leon Posts: 29,269
    3:47PM

Still only 2 goals tho. And France still have Mbappé
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,035
    Well now. Has been a bit turgid in phases, but drama now. A fitting end to a compelling World Cup.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

2:2.

The Curse of Leondamus lives!

Damn. Just greened up and now France are level.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The shortest war in history was between Britain and Zanzibar on August 27, 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after just 38 minutes.
    The longest word in the English language, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. It is a technical word used to describe a lung disease caused by inhaling very fine silicate or quartz dust.
    The world's largest snowflake on record was reported to have fallen in Montana in 1887, and was 15 inches wide, 8 inches thick, and 18 inches in diameter.

Notwithstanding the fact that it also wheels around the Sun almost on its side, Uranus rotates clockwise, too.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The military seem to show little support for either of them. (Even Harry's disabled games seem not to be quite embraced)
    In Andrew’s case, that may be something to do with the attitude of those that served with him. I’ve met one or two and they were uniformly not members of his fan club.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Cough

Leon
    3:33

France could go 2 down here and the final will be more or less over

THE CURSE IS LIFTED

A premature interjection. But far from your first.
    ^
    ^
  • Options
    Pen?!
  • Options
    Argentina had multiple chances to finish the match
  • Options
    It's a pen surely!
  • Options
    I am 5 pints in no idea
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

It's a pen surely!

Nah, he went down easier than a cheap hooker.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon Posts: 29,269
    3:47PM

Still only 2 goals tho. And France still have Mbappé
    Fail.

cf. ramping Kari Lake and then tipping her opponent when things got desperate.
  • Options
    Arg 1.9
    Fr 2.1
  • Options
    Not a pen according to sober people
  • Options

Eabhal said:

It's a pen surely!

Nah, he went down easier than a cheap hooker.
    Nearly as easily as Di Maria...
  • Options
    The game was won. Stupid Argentina!
  • Options
    The game was so easy for Argentina they didn’t even bother with any form of sh*thousery. To their cost.

https://twitter.com/carlmarkham/status/1604518757736620033
  • Options
    I might try and finish all the Die Hards off over Christmas.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Honestly, shouldve hacked more.
  • Options
    EIGHT minutes!!
  • Options
    We had to decide on another round at 80 mins. Happy to say we made the right decision
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Honestly, shouldve hacked more.
    Argentina still the better team, but the psychic momentum will be with France, now

Nail biter
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,989
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I've been struggling with my mental health on and off ever since Lockdown II, to the point where, to be honest with you, full time work is hard - and I may part-time it for the forseeable, at whatever cost that is to the economy and the exchequer vs what I was earning before.

I was actually starting to feel better this summer and considering a return to full time work, but I've been on the downward slide since October and the last couple of brutal weeks of weather have really rammed the depression home. It's hard at the moment to even get out of bed, let alone work.

My mental health has not been the same since lockdown and every day is a struggle. I've never tested positive for Covid, but I'm still suffering the effects of lockdown years later.

Wonder how many people there are out there like me.
    Similar story here.

There was a post on my local subreddit just asking something like 'Anyone else suffering after lockdowns?' and there was an outpouring of people replying with all the - sometimes small, sometimes huge - mental health issues on the back of it. Sometimes just a little 'tick' like still washing their hands with sanitiser after touching something 'from the outside', sometimes people basically unable to leave home, sometimes.... on and on.

It was quite an eye-opening read.
  • Options

EIGHT minutes!!

Plus 17 minutes stoppage time….
  • Options
    Shamina Begum is clearly very well advised on PR.

I can only assume she's got some small team working for her pro-bono:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/shamima-begum-podcast-bbc-sounds
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think the military are keen to see the casualties of war made visible, either the physical or the psychological ones. It is why we have such shit veterans services.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

Motives matter.
    Meanwhile the actual professional on the site is (usually) a lot more subtle about it.

But I think I do understand LuckyGuy’s world view. In my book it’s a category error: it’s founded on the idea “they’re all as bad as each other” and the US is an international bully that needs counterbalancing. This leads to a form of realpolitik. I get that, but I think it presupposes Russia is fundamentally just a flawed but normal state. I don’t think it is.
    Agreed
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,035
    Pitying the journos who’ve had to rewrite their final narratives…
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I've been struggling with my mental health on and off ever since Lockdown II, to the point where, to be honest with you, full time work is hard - and I may part-time it for the forseeable, at whatever cost that is to the economy and the exchequer vs what I was earning before.

I was actually starting to feel better this summer and considering a return to full time work, but I've been on the downward slide since October and the last couple of brutal weeks of weather have really rammed the depression home. It's hard at the moment to even get out of bed, let alone work.

My mental health has not been the same since lockdown and every day is a struggle. I've never tested positive for Covid, but I'm still suffering the effects of lockdown years later.

Similar story here.

There was a post on my local subreddit just asking something like 'Anyone else suffering after lockdowns?' and there was an outpouring of people replying with all the - sometimes small, sometimes huge - mental health issues on the back of it. Sometimes just a little 'tick' like still washing their hands with sanitiser after touching something 'from the outside', sometimes people basically unable to leave home, sometimes.... on and on.

I’ve lost count of the frayed friendships, the divorces, the people still cowering at home

One friend was actually sent mad. From being a normal boozy gent he was last seen checking under Tube train seats for “kidnappers” and has not emerged since
  • Options
    GIROUD BOOKED
  • Options
    pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

Notwithstanding the fact that it also wheels around the Sun almost on its side, Uranus rotates clockwise, too.
    I apologize for the confusion. You are correct that I previously gave conflicting information about the direction of Uranus' rotation. I apologize for the error.

Uranus rotates in a direction that is opposite to the direction of most of the other planets in our solar system. Specifically, Uranus rotates counterclockwise as viewed from above its north pole. Its rotational axis is tilted at an angle of about 98 degrees relative to its orbit around the sun, which means that it rotates in a direction that is perpendicular to the direction of most of the other planets.

The unique rotational orientation of Uranus is thought to be the result of a collision or other event early in its history that caused the planet to be tilted on its side. This unusual orientation means that the poles of Uranus experience prolonged periods of sunlight and darkness, with each pole experiencing a 42-year-long period of either day or night.
  • Options
    France now narrow favs

1.97 FR
    2 Arg
  • Options
    This is mad!!! Like when Truss was under that desk!
  • Options
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Similar story here.

I’ve lost count of the frayed friendships, the divorces, the people still cowering at home

One friend was actually sent mad. From being a normal boozy gent he was last seen checking under Tube train seats for “kidnappers” and has not emerged since
    Also, it was fascinating to see how quickly Britain descended into authoritarianism.

Plenty of neighbours were only too happy to grass on each other to the authorities for trivial "infractions".

Speaks to a fascinating part of the human psychy this and shows how willingly plenty of people would have been to cooperate with the Nazis had we ever been occupied.
  • Options
    Fucking hell!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Not a slow Lloris at all!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,557
    edited December 2022
    Omnium said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A former very senior officer of the Royal Navy once told me that having played tag with Brezhnev's subs throughout the 1970s he'd never been more scared in his life than when a maths teacher got mad at him in a meeting about school finances.

It wasn't until much later that he explained this was partly because he knew one of the other people in the room, who stands 6 ft 4 and is built in proportion, was frequently physically violent and was triggered by people shouting.
  • Options

No, not everything. It is a considerable impact on short term economics though. Which is why depending on Russia is for lunatics.

The fall is caused by more US operations coming back on line, various LNG projects coming on line and a flood of new* LNG tanker are entering the market.

*The initial batches are reconditioned tankers and existing construction that has been accelerated. The first all new LNG tankers from the wave sparked by the Ukraine war are still building.
    Depending on anyone else is lunacy. And unnecessary.
  • Options
    Bloody hell - extra time!
  • Options
    My pub just went into a spontaneous round of applause, all upstanding
This discussion has been closed.