Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is there any way back for the Tories? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,050
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Cruella on her feet in the House

Big show of support from Tory MPs and cabinet members

She's just said that taxpayers are funding 35,000 migrants in hotels already - can this be right? That's the population of a decent-sized town.
    We are apparently paying £7m a DAY to house these people in Premier Inns, so that seems perfectly possible

£7m divided by 35,000 = £200 a day

That’s room plus food and essentials and security etc. Makes total sense
    We regularly stay at Premier Inns with dinner bed and breakfast for both of us averaging £135 per night
    The £200 a day would include the mark up for the company managing them. The likes of Serco.
    Is the £7m an official government figure, or is it an estimate, created by multiplying 35,000 by £200?

It’s a govt figure.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/diana-johnson-channel-government-french-mps-b2210968.html
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,089
    DJ41 said:

🚨| BREAKING: Rishi Sunak in a major crisis as ‘Deeply unhappy’ Tory MPs are ALREADY drafting letters of no confidence in him.

https://twitter.com/politlcsuk/status/1587051559011160064?s=46&t=cCAoGMtV-HrWMD0Uh-dCiQ

And so it begins.

Why would an MP fuss over "drafting" a no confidence letter?

All it needs to say is

"Dear Graham, I have no confidence in Rishi Sunak as leader of the Conservative party. Kind regards, [Forename] [Surname], MP for [Constituency]".

Well, if it were Liz Truss, for example, she'd really need to take her time and check everything very carefully, to avoid those mistakes that are so easy to fall into - such as signing it "Rishi Sunak".
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

“EXCLUSIVE: New classified report to Congress says only HALF of UFO sightings can be properly explained, leaving nearly 200 mysteries unsolved - as critics say investigators 'glossed over' unknown cases”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11373603/New-classified-report-congress-says-HALF-UFO-sightings-properly-explained.html

Why do the mods give you a pass time after time after time? I thought after yesterday's appalling post that would be it. But no, not even a new nom de plume...
    Well that’s where you’re wrong
    Ah well. The pics you crib off other people's IG accounts are nice though.

Why Thankyou. On that subject I had this today for the first time

Hakarl. Rotting fermented shark meat buried underground for 3 months to purge most of the urine

It is as disgusting as it sounds. In a lifetime of professionally sampling horrible exotic foods this went straight into the top ten

I was once advised never to sample local 'delicacies', on the basis those that are not awful are probably literally offal.

I'm sure many are a surprise on the upside, but if that description is right it sounds like starvation food only.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,692
    The Dinghy People Thing is approaching crisis status. I have yet to see even the vaguest suggestion of a solution - from anyone (Tories or Labour or anyone). Apart from Rwanda. Which has not even been tried, and which might likely fail, but we won’t know til we try

When Labour become the government in 2024 (as they surely will) this will be their problem. I wonder what they will do, with so many on their side saying, in effect “just let them all in”
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299
    PaulSimon said:

There must be a point where appointing a stream of Home Secretaries who constantly bang on about channel migrants becomes an electoral liability for the Tories because all their bluster is achieving is to highlight that it's still happening on their watch. I don't know what the solution is, but I suspect it involves bunging France a vast wad of cash to make the problem go away, and that's best done quietly, behind the scenes.

No it doesn't; once the migrants are in France with the intention of coming to the UK, no amount of money will convince the French on the ground to man barricades to keep them in France.

The pull factor needs to be eliminated. The success rate of the channel crossings needs to go down to zero, and the nearer it can get to zero, the more the situation will ease.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

She's just said that taxpayers are funding 35,000 migrants in hotels already - can this be right? That's the population of a decent-sized town.
    We are apparently paying £7m a DAY to house these people in Premier Inns, so that seems perfectly possible

We regularly stay at Premier Inns with dinner bed and breakfast for both of us averaging £135 per night
    The £200 a day would include the mark up for the company managing them. The likes of Serco.
    Is the £7m an official government figure, or is it an estimate, created by multiplying 35,000 by £200?

Leaky Sue said it in the HoC.
  • Options
    Elon Musk has dissolved Twitter's board of directors - cementing his control over the company.

The move was revealed in US Securities and Exchange Commission filings.

On 27 October, following the "consummation" of Mr Musk's takeover deal, he became the sole director of Twitter, it says.
  • Options

I think the major economic challenges, invasion of Ukraine, energy crisis, illegal immigration issue and others are big issues that make predicting next election extremely difficult. It is far too simplistic to assume that the Tories will inevitably get it in the neck at the next election. Take illegal immigration. I think this is brewing up. All over the country hotels are being filled. Some are landmark buildings. You couldn't invent a better way of causing public disquiet. Problem for Labour is they will be seen as worse than the Tories on this issue and can only gain if Reform or similar pick up Tory votes. On the economy if people are worried that will take precedence over any motivation to punish the Tories in my opinion. If Sunak and Hunt can look more competent or less risky than Labour then a lot of votes will swing back. As a minimum LP would have to have a very pared back programme on expenditure, but will they? A lot of votes are soft I think outside the hardcore 20% for each party.

Problem is your scenario appears to presume competence on immigration will be enough on its own. Which for them it had better be, since they don't appear to have an answer for most other things, and others are beyond their control.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

£2.55bn a year?
    Sounds like the kind of money that could fund a reasonable system for asylum decisions.
  • Options
    Chris said:

DJ41 said:

🚨| BREAKING: Rishi Sunak in a major crisis as ‘Deeply unhappy’ Tory MPs are ALREADY drafting letters of no confidence in him.

https://twitter.com/politlcsuk/status/1587051559011160064?s=46&t=cCAoGMtV-HrWMD0Uh-dCiQ

And so it begins.

All it needs to say is

"Dear Graham, I have no confidence in Rishi Sunak as leader of the Conservative party. Kind regards, [Forename] [Surname], MP for [Constituency]".

Well, if it were Liz Truss, for example, she'd really need to take her time and check everything very carefully, to avoid those mistakes that are so easy to fall into - such as signing it "Rishi Sunak".
    Liz didn't make any mistakes in her written responses to resignations - she used the correct form as every PM before her had done. I wouldn't want you to make yourself look stupid by unwittingly repeating a falsehood.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,578

Taz said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

As Lenny used to say, everything’s premier bar the price !

At least these vulnerable people are not being stuck in Travelodges..
    I suspect that would probably break at least half a dozen international laws on the treatment of refugees.
    I once stayed in Britannia Manchester.
    Can confirm.

Did you see my post earlier with the Which? reviews?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

As Lenny used to say, everything’s premier bar the price !

At least these vulnerable people are not being stuck in Travelodges..
    I suspect that would probably break at least half a dozen international laws on the treatment of refugees.
    I once stayed in Britannia Manchester.
    Can confirm.

Did you see my post earlier with the Which? reviews?
    I saw the links but have no wish to relive the experience.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

“EXCLUSIVE: New classified report to Congress says only HALF of UFO sightings can be properly explained, leaving nearly 200 mysteries unsolved - as critics say investigators 'glossed over' unknown cases”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11373603/New-classified-report-congress-says-HALF-UFO-sightings-properly-explained.html

Why do the mods give you a pass time after time after time? I thought after yesterday's appalling post that would be it. But no, not even a new nom de plume...

Hakarl. Rotting fermented shark meat buried underground for 3 months to purge most of the urine

It is as disgusting as it sounds. In a lifetime of professionally sampling horrible exotic foods this went straight into the top ten

I was once advised never to sample local 'delicacies', on the basis those that are not awful are probably literally offal.

I'm sure many are a surprise on the upside, but if that description is right it sounds like starvation food only.

Oh no, always sample local delicacies, you can discover wonderful things

Admittedly many of them ARE offal, but they can be nice - like the late night tripe sandwiches in Florence - and, yes, sometimes you literally want to throw up, but I don’t see the point in travelling - to see new things - then not trying new foods. Isn’t that the point? Newness. We travel for the New

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,425
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

The government needs to get a grip on this.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Leon said:

On the other important topic of the day: goose every time, if you must have a bird

Yeah, gets results even quicker than a pussy grab.
    Not sure. Moggy is usually quicker to roast, stolen or otherwise.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,928
    Just booked a weekend away to do some Christmas Markets and a bit of museum visiting

I'm under strict instructions not to reveal to Mrs Eek where we are going - but I keep on wanting to sing an Ultravox song.
  • Options

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Thats what happens if you stop funding the courts......all entirely predictable and a failure of the Home Secretary and her equally authoritarian predecessors. All chasing press headlines with no care about if the system works or not. Indeed fixing the problem, would give the Home Secretaries less visibility with the press.
    Not sure that is the case. How many of those are already accepted as successful asylum claimants - like the Afghans I mentioned earlier - but we just don't yet have any permanent homes for them. According to the British Government, as of August, we had accepted 21,000 Afghans as legitimate refugees in the aftermath of our withdrawal almost all because of their association with British forces.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58245684
    That is just more of the same issue of lack of up front investment and planning. So it is costing us £1.2m a day to put them in hotels and the government budget to move them into housing is £10m a year coming down to £2m a year in the third year???

These people are completely incompetent and clueless. Do not let them anywhere near our finances. They are unwilling to fund anything that seems like it might be helping refugees so end up paying many multiples extra in emergency fixes instead. And that money comes from us and the lack of planning and investment does nothing to help manage migration.
  • Options
    Some reasonable sounding ideas were proposed upthread to the asylum crisis.

However, they all involve spending money and or proper planning which the government won’t do and is possibly not capable of.

It prefers to grandstand.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,928
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

5 times the population of Barnard Castle.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    eek said:

Just booked a weekend away to do some Christmas Markets and a bit of museum visiting

I'm under strict instructions not to reveal to Mrs Eek where we are going - but I keep on wanting to sing an Ultravox song.

I didn't know Hiroshima had Christmas markets.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

Admittedly many of them ARE offal, but they can be nice - like the late night tripe sandwiches in Florence - and, yes, sometimes you literally want to throw up, but I don’t see the point in travelling - to see new things - then not trying new foods. Isn’t that the point? Newness. We travel for the New

OTOH some of them might be a piss-take (so to speak in this shark case) by the locals perpetrated upon the tourists. Like deep-fried Mars bars in Edinburgh.
  • Options
    eek said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

5 times the population of Barnard Castle.
    I wonder how much we are spending on opticians (listed in the budget as Avis and Sixt).
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

Too many still behave like Raymond Briggs’ Father Christmas.

• Options
    The whole point of the Braverman performance was to tick every hard right box imaginable, using the most inflammatory language, and so to make it impossible for Sunak to sack her without major political repercussions. Her message to him is basically: "If I go, you do too". And Sunak's problem is that she could well be right.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

She's just said that taxpayers are funding 35,000 migrants in hotels already - can this be right? That's the
    population of a decent-sized town.
    They’ve had less than a week - be fair!
  • Options

The whole point of the Braverman performance was to tick every hard right box imaginable, using the most inflammatory language, and so to make it impossible for Sunak to sack her without major political repercussions. Her message to him is basically: "If I go, you do too". And Sunak's problem is that she could well be right.

The thing is, she knows she is right; the current level of boat people is unsustainable, and when you know there's no comeback, you can go completely ham on something and challenge people to oppose you.

What is more challenging for her is solving the damn thing.
  • Options
    Suella Braverman is disgusted with how much money is being spent on asylum hotels, says she couldn't believe it when she found out when she became Home Secretary. She's gonna be shocked when she finds out she was in the cabinet that approved and caused it.

@jessphillips

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1587140771718860805?s=46&t=jj_4fS92tOBU7xJJcKHtpw
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

She's just said that taxpayers are funding 35,000 migrants in hotels already - can this be right? That's the
    population of a decent-sized town.
    They’ve had less than a week - be fair!
    12 years.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,002

The whole point of the Braverman performance was to tick every hard right box imaginable, using the most inflammatory language, and so to make it impossible for Sunak to sack her without major political repercussions.

You make her sound like one of Tony Blair's Home Secretaries.
  • Options

Which is why he should have appointed some other hard right ideologue. They might at least have been competent.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,901
    edited October 2022
    eek said:

Loves Great Adventure? You old new romantic!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2022
    Andy_JS said:

And so it begins.

I don't believe this. They're being stupid if they are already drafting letters.
    He's proving himself a fool. All he had to do was look like a serious man for serious times and I've no doubt his numbers would improve. Instead he chose the stupidest Cabinet Minister available to appoint as Home Secretary and the back biting started.

He then did a Boris Johnson tribute act for his first PMQs and chose as his first policy announcement that COP 2 would be ignored.

As the criticism rained down-what did he expect-he announced he might go after all. Then the doubts started to return.......

Being charitable he suffers from small man syndrome. More likely he's just been over promoted. The Emperor without clothes. Put your money on Hunt
  • Options

Some reasonable sounding ideas were proposed upthread to the asylum crisis.

However, they all involve spending money and or proper planning which the government won’t do and is possibly not capable of.

It prefers to grandstand.

They are all versions of “let them all in”. Apart from Rwanda, or @Dura_Ace’s “tow them back to France or tow them to international waters”

The French will never let us return these people. The French want them gone. It is politically impossible for a French Prez to accept us returning them

The idea that “faster, better funded asylum services” will slow the flood is utterly ridiculous liberal bollocks. It just means that those who get accepted at glossy new asylum centres will be welcomed in, faster, and those that get refused will, er, come across the Channel as they do now. Where they will be accepted, as well

It is astonishing that 90% of PB-ers (not a dim group of people) seem unable to grasp this
  • Options

The whole point of the Braverman performance was to tick every hard right box imaginable, using the most inflammatory language, and so to make it impossible for Sunak to sack her without major political repercussions.

You are correct that Labour Home Secretaries also chase press headlines instead of solving problems or managing their department properly. It is a very silly and expensive way to run the country. The ones who have been in power for 12 years have to take responsibility for it now though, deflection won't cut the mustard any more.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Sunak and Hunt say everyone will have to pay more tax in the years ahead - not just the wealthy.

Fiscal black hole is “eye-watering”.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-31/sunak-hunt-say-it-s-inevitable-all-britons-will-pay-more-tax

Odd that literally nobody was talking about austerity three months ago, and now it’s become grim necessity all of a sudden.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

OTOH some of them might be a piss-take (so to speak in this shark case) by the locals perpetrated upon the tourists. Like deep-fried Mars bars in Edinburgh.
    I thought there was an echt and original deep fried mars bar? As in, they really were a local delicacy in some benighted chippy in Dundee or wherever?

I accept that they are now a wider, national joke viewed ironically on all sides, but I believe there is authenticity at the heart

Cf deep fried pizza slices
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,490

Sunak and Hunt say everyone will have to pay more tax in the years ahead - not just the wealthy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-31/sunak-hunt-say-it-s-inevitable-all-britons-will-pay-more-tax

Odd that literally nobody was talking about austerity three months ago, and now it’s become grim necessity.

It isn't only socialists who, in the end, run out of other people's money.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    1,000 people a day is effectively an invasion.

But I don't expect Suella Braverman to be able to fix it.
  • Options
    I wonder if there is a connection between Brexit and this asylum influx.
  • Options
    The problem is "solving" asylum by sending them all out would not make Britain better off than just letting then all in, so the powers that be will go with the cheapest strategy that sends the message the typical person wants to hear.
  • Options

I think Tony Blair dealt with a similar surge in asylum around 2003, and resolved it, although I can't recall how without researching.

It didn't involve boats.
  • Options

Odd that literally nobody was talking about austerity three months ago, and now it’s become grim necessity all of a sudden.

Truss shook us out of our denial.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243

It’s because Sunak doesn’t seem to believe in anything much politically apart from running a balanced budget. “If we are not for sound money what are we for”.

• Options
    kle4 said:

If there was denial, it was cross-party, cross-media, and supported by analysts.

• Options

The thing is, she knows she is right; the current level of boat people is unsustainable, and when you know there's no comeback, you can go completely ham on something and challenge people to oppose you.

It's a classic dividing line issue, thought, because the Left - and plenty of (most?) liberal centrists too - refuse to accept it's even an issue, and to the extent they do they argue to make it easier, and therefore cede the entire terrain to the Conservatives - even though they have abjectly failed to solve it.

It's clever politics. It's risky for the Conservatives only if they get outflanked to the Right.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Not all of us.

Some of us seem to think that the fiscal statement, when it comes, will make the government more popular.
  • Options

If there is, it is utterly trivial

Migration flows are surging around the world, and migrants are getting more desperate even as others learn how to exploit them with cleverer sales pitches. Is the influx in the Aegean, or in Lampedusa, or at the gates of Ceuta, or on the Tex-Mex border, anything to do with Brexit? Of course not. Yet the surge is real

Brexit is fantastically unimportant in comparison
  • Options

kle4 said:

If there was denial, it was cross-party, cross-media, and supported by analysts.

Sounds plausible to me. Economic forecasting seems a futile profession to be in.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

It’s because Sunak doesn’t seem to believe in anything much politically apart from running a balanced budget. “If we are not for sound money what are we for”.

He doesn't believe in that, though. He deficit-spent to stimulate the economy for two years during Covid, then when his approval ratings dropped, he deficit-spent on the fuel subsidy stimulus. To pay for it he promised taxes would go up in the future. Now the future is here and taxes on workers will go up by enough to cover the gap today, but probably not by enough to repay the money he borrowed to spend on basically his approval ratings.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976

Well the UK is now outside the Dublin Regulation.
  • Options
    Leon said:

If there is, it is utterly trivial

Migration flows are surging around the world, and migrants are getting more desperate even as others learn how to exploit them with cleverer sales pitches. Is the influx in the Aegean, or in Lampedusa, or at the gates of Ceuta, or on the Tex-Mex border, anything to do with Brexit? Of course not. Yet the surge is real

Brexit is fantastically unimportant in comparison
    It depends to what extent we are reliant on the French.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

Great news
  • Options

It's a classic dividing line issue, thought, because the Left - and plenty of (most?) liberal centrists too - refuse to accept it's even an issue, and to the extent they do they argue to make it easier, and therefore cede the entire terrain to the Conservatives - even though they have abjectly failed to solve it.

It's clever politics. It's risky for the Conservatives only if they get outflanked to the Right.

They have to deliver. That's the risk.

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    EPG said:

moonshine said:

He doesn't believe in that, though. He deficit-spent to stimulate the economy for two years during Covid, then when his approval ratings dropped, he deficit-spent on the fuel subsidy stimulus. To pay for it he promised taxes would go up in the future. Now the future is here and taxes on workers will go up by enough to cover the gap today, but probably not by enough to repay the money he borrowed to spend on basically his approval ratings.
    Seems a long time since ?January when he said he'd cut income tax by 1% in 2024.
  • Options

Chris said:

DJ41 said:

And so it begins.

All it needs to say is

Liz didn't make any mistakes in her written responses to resignations - she used the correct form as every PM before her had done. I wouldn't want you to make yourself look stupid by unwittingly repeating a falsehood.
    If that's the "correct form" for signing a letter I'm a Dutchman!
  • Options

I'll be leaving the site again until Leon is banned. Goodbye.

Baby Huey spits out his dummy
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    Tres said:

Tories gone full UKIP. Nasty nasty party.

Though 57% of voters support turning back boats carrying migrants in the Channel, as do 88% of Conservative voters, so Braverman's views on this are held by rather more than UKIP voters
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1436344387185872898?s=20&t=2QnUQm19Pj5jw_UZvQ5JPg
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    edited October 2022
    Chris said:

Chris said:

DJ41 said:

And so it begins.

All it needs to say is

Someone dug up an older letter showing it is in fact the form used.

And here's fullfact on the matter:

https://fullfact.org/online/kwasi-kwarteng-letter-signature/
  • Options

As discussed upthread, though, it's a symmetric game because ecology works in the same way for the left-wing parties against the Conservatives. It's not quite like the economy or the NHS where they would both like to be seen to give the average person as much free stuff as possible, because nobody gets free stuff so it is entirely about how much you care about the issue.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,898
    I think we are all agreed.

It's time.

It's time for Liz Truss.

Mary Elizabeth Truss.

BRING IT
  • Options
    Braverman has made herself unsackable. Sunak's fate is tied directly to hers now.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

One of those times we need a frank national discussion that will never happen. Just more of 'them buggers on a bit more than me are going to have to pay more'
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Don't worry guys, I've banned @SeanT

Let that be a lesson to you all.

Brilliant
  • Options

It's time.

It's time for Liz Truss.

Mary Elizabeth Truss.

BRING IT

The Oracle of Norwich approves this message!
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

DJ41 said:

And so it begins.

All it needs to say is

Goedenavond heer.

It was the correct form and was not, of course, a signature.
  • Options

They don't, as long as they have someone to blame for the failure- probably Human Rights Lawyers. In fact for some people, solving the problem would render them obsolete and that would never do.

It's horrible, but the retail politics makes sense.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Tories have to get their cut Taz
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095
    Tres said:

Well, yes. I mean, isn't there some law against putting people up in Premier Inns?
  • Options
    Sort of on topic, did Suella Braverman, a woman who essentially advised the government to ignore laws that didn't suit it, really say she was standing up for the 'law abiding majority?'
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sort of on topic, did Suella Braverman, a woman who essentially advised the government to ignore laws that didn't suit it, really say she was standing up for the 'law abiding majority?'

I'm sure she speaks for many in believing laws are unimportant when they are inconvenient.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

DJ41 said:

And so it begins.

All it needs to say is

Goedenavond heer.

True it wasn't a signature. Absurd to claim it was the "correct form" for a letter.
  • Options
    Seriously, someone needs to look at the timeline of the government’s fiscal position and marry it up with the what Johnson/Rishi, then Truss/Kwarteng, then Rishi/Hunt have promised and claimed.

@OnlyLivingBoy?

Clearly the economy is underperforming because of the supply shock of energy prices, and perhaps Covid overhang too.

So the response to a worsening economic forecast is…austerity 3.0?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,140
    "The system is broken. Illegal migration is out of control"

Braverman

Yet the party has had twelve years. Only twelve years to fix this.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    Chris said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

DJ41 said:

And so it begins.

All it needs to say is

Goedenavond heer.

True it wasn't a signature. Absurd to claim it was the "correct form" for a letter.
    Except it is.
  • Options

They don't, as long as they have someone to blame for the failure- probably Human Rights Lawyers. In fact for some people, solving the problem would render them obsolete and that would never do.

It's horrible, but the retail politics makes sense.

Rhetoric without delivery after 12 years of power will not reap rewards. Most people are not hate-filled Daily Mail readers who view refugees as sub-human scum who deserve firebombing, diphtheria and detention. They just want solutions. If the Tories are not providing any they will look elsewhere.

• Options

Braverman has made herself unsackable. Sunak's fate is tied directly to hers now.

Not really. He hasn't been joined at the hip (let alone more intimately) with her like Liz n kwarty in anything she has done. The ERG would have had a case for putting a horse's head in his bed if he had said he'd make her HS then didn't, but if he sacks her on what everybody agrees is reasonable grounds what they gonna do? GBOL is all for stability when it's an option, so he's gonna say: the no vonc in your first 12 months rule applies. Bear in mind also that voncs don't work, TM and BJ survived them and fell later. "later" than Oct 23 is well into 2024, and election time anyway.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

Or they could just announce the same target for immigration that they are never going to meet at the next election.

It's sadly in the Tories interest NOT to deliver as they are happier demonising migrants, so no matter how bad it gets, their rhetoric is always in tune with the people who are most concerned with immigration.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Tres said:

Well, yes. I mean, isn't there some law against putting people up in Premier Inns?
    I was complaining about Britannia before. Now that is a truly terrible hotel chain.

But there’s nothing actually wrong with Premier Inns. They’re fine. They do what they do. Sometimes the architecture is shockingly bad, but that’s a different issue.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Tres said:

:lol:
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,311

Elon Musk has dissolved Twitter's board of directors - cementing his control over the company.

The move was revealed in US Securities and Exchange Commission filings.

On 27 October, following the "consummation" of Mr Musk's takeover deal, he became the sole director of Twitter, it says.

Acid bath ?
  • Options

World Economic Forum.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

DJ41 said:

And so it begins.

All it needs to say is

Goedenavond heer.

Except it is.
    Have you ever used it?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2022
    Friend of mine, loyal Conservative, just sent me a WhatsApp saying she's totally appalled by Braverman and cannot stand her or what she is coming out with. Says she's disgusted.

Okay so this is anecdotal but it's interesting. Clearly some on the very right will love what SB is doing but my friend is hardly on the left of the party - she voted Brexit and is a diehard royalist etc.

This has got her far more upset than Sunak missing COP27.

(N.B. it's fair to say that our friendship sometimes comes under strain around politics :smiley: )
  • Options
    Braverman is not joined at the hip with Sunak.
    That’s silly.

She’s effectively challenging him to sack her, and - if he does - promising to set herself as the kaisereine across the water if he does.

What a lovely lady she is.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    ydoethur said:

Tres said:

It's even worse than that, it's those Britannia hotels. Just imagine the wall paper.
  • Options
    UKIP songwriters everywhere on tenterhooks to learn the name of the 66 y.o. firebomber from High Wycombe. The English Horst Wessel/Battle Hymn of Lt. Calley is waiting to be written.
  • Options
    The solution is we hide in the mists like St Brendans Isle. Obviously.
  • Options

That’s silly.

She’s effectively challenging him to sack her, and - if he does - promising to set herself as the kaisereine across the water if he does.

Should have sacked her before he appointed her.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,243
    ydoethur said:

Tres said:

Tip. When you are about to post your one-liners, pause and ask yourself if they fall into the category of facetious or, worse, snide rather than funny.

xx
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

DJ41 said:

And so it begins.

All it needs to say is

Ask Pochdale Rioneers, he made a tit of himself about it too.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

It's time.

It's time for Liz Truss.

Mary Elizabeth Truss.

BRING IT

There is more chance Jacob Rees Mogg becomes next Tory leader and PM now than Truss
  • Options
    Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

DJ41 said:

And so it begins.

All it needs to say is

Goedenavond heer.

Except it is.
    Have you ever used it?
    Has he ever accepted the resignation of a Chancellor of the Exchequer?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,167
    Betting post.

Just had a little nibble on "Next GE 2024 or later" at 1/3 with Ladbrokes. I can see a route to more government chaos in 2023, and even another leader, but I don't see a GE, so a 33% return over 14 months seems a fair bet.
  • Options
    I like the Japanese “low key Halloween” tradition.
    https://twitter.com/makiwi/status/1322494883802828800
  • Options
    Tres said:

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

It's even worse than that, it's those Britannia hotels. Just imagine the wall paper.
    Downing Street is now a Britannia Hotel? Is this the new deficit reduction plan?
  • Options

That’s silly.

More a reminder that if she is sacked, he needs to find a majority.
This discussion has been closed.