Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is there any way back for the Tories? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853

SeanT said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

“EXCLUSIVE: New classified report to Congress says only HALF of UFO sightings can be properly explained, leaving nearly 200 mysteries unsolved - as critics say investigators 'glossed over' unknown cases”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11373603/New-classified-report-congress-says-HALF-UFO-sightings-properly-explained.html

Welcome back
    Did I ever really go away….?
    You responded to a Leon post as Sean T. Now reply as the others - Eadric, LadyG etc - and we will find out...
    I suspect that was a joke by @SeanT, because so many quite wrongly identify me as him

So at least we know he lurks, from time to time

Anyway on the more substantive topic. ALIENS. That is an intriguing leak from the Daily Mail
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Credit where credit is due to Germany:

"The IRIS-T air defense system provided by #Germany earlier this month worked with 100% success today.

This was announced by the speaker of the command of the Air Force of the Armed Forces of #Ukraine Yuriy Ignat."
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Don't worry guys, I've banned @SeanT

Let that be a lesson to you all.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Been told by 2 sources Braverman didn't sign off accommodation, but Shapps did when he was Home Sec. Also told new immigration min Jenrick signed off on acc & overcrowding cld be resolved in week or so if not too many crossings. Told about 4k people in Manston when space for 1.5k
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1587131605545525250

NEW: Sources tell me that Suella Braverman actively sought external legal advice on Manston after (they claim) she didn't like what the internal lawyers at Home Office were telling her re need to book hotels. They say she sought independent advice from Sir James Eadie KC 1/
    https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1587131618665369602
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    Leon said:

I'll be leaving the site again until Leon is banned. Goodbye.

Your antipathy genuinely mystifies me - tho I confess it does not distress me - because I am consistently quite pleasant to you. Apart from one occasion when I might have teased you with an AI photo of what I claimed you looked like. It was a joke

And this despite you hurling out fairly continuous abuse to disparate commenters, often for no reason at all, as far as I can see

So why not hang around, and I will continue to be consistently quite emollient to you
    Maybe it was the grotesquely offensive word you posted on the site yesterday? Just a thought.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Cruella on her feet in the House

Big show of support from Tory MPs and cabinet members

She's just said that taxpayers are funding 35,000 migrants in hotels already - can this be right? That's the population of a decent-sized town.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,910
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

EXC Suella Braverman facing further questions about her judgement - her officials demanded a 120-year-old magazine for solicitors remove a comment piece because they did not like what it said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/suella-braverman-law-gazette-opinion-b2214481.html

She wanted a comment published in 1902 to be removed?
    That was my first reading of it too - and it didn't even seem that absurd in the current world of Tory politics.
  • Options
    Suella Braverman says she has "never ignored legal advice" and "never blocked" hotel use for migrants
    https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1587131706988953604

Is she breaking the Ministerial code live on TV right now?
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    rcs1000 said:

"You all"? You mean SeanT, Leon, Eadric,...? :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I’ll sleep easier.
  • Options

Driver said:

Sunak 41 37 Starmer on best PM
    Sunsk plus 10, Starmer plus 8 approvals

Are there gross figures or just net?

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of +10%, up 8 points from our poll last Thursday. Yesterday’s poll finds 29% approving of his overall job performance (+2), against 19% disapproving (-6). 

Among 2019 Conservative voters, 44% (+2) approve of Rishi Sunak’s job performance as Prime Minister. Only 10% (-5) disapprove. His net approval rating with 2019 Conservative voters stands at +34%, up seven points since Thursday’s poll.

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +8%, down five points from Thursday last week. 35% approve of Starmer’s job performance (-3), while 27% disapprove (+2).

Starmer down 5%? Don't anybody tell Mr Owls - or we'll never hear the end of it.....
  • Options
    Braverman tells HoC: "I have never ignored legal advice" this has been contradicted by two sources who tell me they think Home Sec did ignore advice & what happened at Manston likely to be subject to judicial review
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1587131946471243778
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    Leon said:

SeanT said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

“EXCLUSIVE: New classified report to Congress says only HALF of UFO sightings can be properly explained, leaving nearly 200 mysteries unsolved - as critics say investigators 'glossed over' unknown cases”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11373603/New-classified-report-congress-says-HALF-UFO-sightings-properly-explained.html

Welcome back
    You responded to a Leon post as Sean T. Now reply as the others - Eadric, LadyG etc - and we will find out...
    I suspect that was a joke by @SeanT, because so many quite wrongly identify me as him

Anyway on the more substantive topic. ALIENS. That is an intriguing leak from the Daily Mail
    Its a debunking of the Blue Book conclusions 53 years late
  • Options
    On the other important topic of the day: goose every time, if you must have a bird

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    "We also have a duty to the wider public to ensure that anyone who has entered our country illegally undergoes essential security checks, and is not immediately free to wander around local communities with no fixed abode,"

To paraphrase Peggy Lee, is that all there is to an explanation?
  • Options
    Suella Braverman tells MPs she "never blocked" the use of hotels to ease pressure on Manston.

She adds: "I've never ignored legal advice. As a former AG I know the importance of taking legal advice into account."

Multiple govt sources claim otherwise.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1587132435204014083
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Suella Braverman says she has "never ignored legal advice" and "never blocked" hotel use for migrants

Suella is waving goodbye...

goodbye...

goodbye...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470

Why not just ignore him?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470

🚨| BREAKING: Rishi Sunak in a major crisis as ‘Deeply unhappy’ Tory MPs are ALREADY drafting letters of no confidence in him.

https://twitter.com/politlcsuk/status/1587051559011160064?s=46&t=cCAoGMtV-HrWMD0Uh-dCiQ

And so it begins.

I don't believe this. They're being stupid if they are already drafting letters.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Scott_xP said:

Braverman tells HoC: "I have never ignored legal advice" this has been contradicted by two sources who tell me they think Home Sec did ignore advice & what happened at Manston likely to be subject to judicial review
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1587131946471243778

Lying to the House?

That committee will be busy all next year at this rate.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Suella is waving goodbye...

goodbye...

goodbye...
    Floella was on some cooking show this weekend talking about Playschool.

Happy days
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

ping said:

Sunak and the tories heading in the right direction.

Still, a very long way to go before depriving labour of a majority.

There is a long way to go but Rishi has made a positive start and is anyone really confident Starmer has sealed the deal with the public
    Can I put my hand up and say absolutely yes - more confident with each new poll.

Can you not see how under Sunak the Tory share is firming up around 26 or 27%?

And if you can see it, do you think they improve from there once honeymoon is over?

Before the Starmergasm Truss had a new leader bounce, well uptick about same as Rishi’s. she had consistent 35’s with Techne and 34 from Opinium with Labour just 5 ahead. Getting rid of Truss it’s not bounced back to Boris polling in this honeymoon period.

These Sunak honeymoon polls are more remarkable than the Starmergasm drop, in how so many voters just arn’t coming back despite removal of Truss, her budget and economic philosophy.

What Sunak’s honeymoon polls so far tell us is Tory drop into the mid 20s now looks long term thing.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Leon said:

SeanT said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

Welcome back

Welcome back!
  • Options
    There is so much material Yvette is struggling to get thru it all in her time.

And she speaks quickly.
  • Options

ping said:

There is a long way to go but Rishi has made a positive start and is anyone really confident Starmer has sealed the deal with the public
    Can I put my hand up and say absolutely yes - more confident with each new poll.

And if you can see it, do you think they improve from there once honeymoon is over?

Before the Starmergasm Truss had a new leader bounce, well uptick about same as Rishi’s. she had consistent 35’s with Techne and 34 from Opinium with Labour just 5 ahead. Getting rid of Truss it’s not bounced back to Boris polling in this honeymoon period.

These Sunak honeymoon polls are more remarkable than the Starmergasm drop, in how so many voters just arn’t coming back despite removal of Truss, her budget and economic philosophy.

What Sunak’s honeymoon polls so far tell us is Tory drop into the mid 20s now looks long term thing.
    I do not expect you to change your view but time will tell
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Andy_JS said:

Why not just ignore him?
    It's those bastards @CorrectHorseBattery and @CorrectHorseBattery2 that I can't be doing with.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

Why do the mods give you a pass time after time after time? I thought after yesterday's appalling post that would be it. But no, not even a new nom de plume...
    Well that’s where you’re wrong
    Ah well. The pics you crib off other people's IG accounts are nice though.

Why Thankyou. On that subject I had this today for the first time

Hakarl. Rotting fermented shark meat buried underground for 3 months to purge most of the urine

It is as disgusting as it sounds. In a lifetime of professionally sampling horrible exotic foods this went straight into the top ten

• Options
    Braverman - on no occasion did I veto decisions on accommodation
    https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1587133811606917122

Have also been told by another govt source that Braverman "put a stop to" signing off certain accommodation, such as hotels in tourist areas, amid a backlash from local MPs and councillors who said such use would be inappropriate for their local economies
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1587133831336939524
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,908
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Your antipathy genuinely mystifies me - tho I confess it does not distress me - because I am consistently quite pleasant to you. Apart from one occasion when I might have teased you with an AI photo of what I claimed you looked like. It was a joke

And this despite you hurling out fairly continuous abuse to disparate commenters, often for no reason at all, as far as I can see

So why not hang around, and I will continue to be consistently quite emollient to you
    Maybe it was the grotesquely offensive word you posted on the site yesterday? Just a thought.
    What did he say?
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

Why do the mods give you a pass time after time after time? I thought after yesterday's appalling post that would be it. But no, not even a new nom de plume...

Hakarl. Rotting fermented shark meat buried underground for 3 months to purge most of the urine

It is as disgusting as it sounds. In a lifetime of professionally sampling horrible exotic foods this went straight into the top ten

Looks like a piece of fudge.

Which I suspect it is not like at all.

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

ping said:

Absolutely agree with you. Another three or four weeks of honeymoon polls herded at 25-28 and I will be proved right - that it’s long term scarring from Trussterfuck Sunak can’t turn around and get them back into 30s.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting from Redfield Wilton poll

Rishi Sunak (41%, +2) leads Keir Starmer (37%, -1) by four points on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment.

This probably means the Tories will be in the 30s in most opinion polls pretty soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

She's just said that taxpayers are funding 35,000 migrants in hotels already - can this be right? That's the population of a decent-sized town.
    We are apparently paying £7m a DAY to house these people in Premier Inns, so that seems perfectly possible

£7m divided by 35,000 = £200 a day

That’s room plus food and essentials and security etc. Makes total sense
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2022

ping said:

I’m less confident about that. I just don’t think we can meaningfully project the current polls forward into a likely trend, at this point in time.

Perfectly possible the tories head deep into the teens, or pull it back to become borderline-competitive with labour, going into the next election campaign.

I wouldn’t put it more likely than 50/50 that the tories will still be in the mid 20’s, this time next year.

In betting terms, I think there’s value in laying your certainty. If you get what I mean.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Yep. We know she has ignored legal advice. We know that a stack of people can prove that she has. So she is basically daring them to try and remove her.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

What did he say?
    Think of a really really really bad word that stereotypically might be heard from the mouth of a Southern US Redneck
  • Options

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

Looks like a piece of fudge.

Which I suspect it is not like at all.

It’s the worst. The smell alone. Like a kind of fishy Chernobyl. You can smell it ten yards away. I am not joking

A couple of the racier guys on this press trip made outrageously offensive jokes. I shall not repeat
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

What did he say?
    "Suella"
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

Shame Leon isn't around to apologise for peddling the smears about Pelosi.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1586799992978776065
    According to @NBCNews’ @anblanx : Police say on the record that Paul Pelosi and his suspected attacker did not know each other prior to the attack. It was a break-in.

This directly contradicts conspiracy theories pushed by (and since deleted by) Twitter owner Elon Musk.

The weird thing is not just that people went out of their way to invent a story about Pelosi's husband having a gay lover, but why they would think it's relevant - if it had been true - to an attempted assassination of the Speaker of the House.
    Because if hammer boi was an enraged boyfriend he was not a 4chan Nancy-assassin.
  • Options

ping said:

I suspect Mademoiselle Lapin that two factors are at play re the Tory vote
    The current small improvement is some that went on vote strike returning, that might get him to low 30s at best over the next few weeks.
    Then we have transferees. Labour picked up a lot of new voters over the flag hugging/conference and then Trusstastrophe. They arent going to leap back, minds change slowly then very slowly back if at all, they are a long term project into a GE.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting from Redfield Wilton poll

Rishi Sunak (41%, +2) leads Keir Starmer (37%, -1) by four points on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment.

This probably means the Tories will be in the 30s in most opinion polls pretty soon.

ping said:

Absolutely agree with you. Another three or four weeks of honeymoon polls herded at 25-28 and I will be proved right - that it’s long term scarring from Trussterfuck Sunak can’t turn around and get them back into 30s.
    Well, those are the two options laid out quite clearly. Let's see what happens once Sunak actually starts to do things.
  • Options
    Defiant from Suella Braverman: "There are some people who would prefer to be rid of me - let them try. I know that I speak for the decent, law-abiding, patriotic majority of British people from every background that want safe and secure borders."
    https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1587134986913718274
  • Options
    Leon said:

On the other important topic of the day: goose every time, if you must have a bird

Yeah, gets results even quicker than a pussy grab.
  • Options
    Suella Braverman just spoke about the "invasion" on our south coast, by people arriving by boat. Not sure I've heard that language before.
    https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1587134826406182912
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Scott_xP said:

Defiant from Suella Braverman: "There are some people who would prefer to be rid of me - let them try. I know that I speak for the decent, law-abiding, patriotic majority of British people from every background that want safe and secure borders."

The silent majority, surely?
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

Mine eyes dazzle. I've never seen so many brightly coloured anoraks.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,058

Hey Horse, hope U R well.

Just ignore him if you don’t like him or his posts.

It’s easy enough to do.
  • Options
    Suella Braverman, the home secretary, claims Britain is facing an 'invasion' of migrants

'The British people deserve to know which party is serious about stopping the invasion on our southern coast and which party is not

'Let's stop pretending they are all refugees in distress'

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1587135433774796800
  • Options
    If Rishi wants Suella overboard, he’s going to have give her another push.

Her ambition is to cling on, dragging the Sunak project under the waves.
  • Options
    Tory MP Sir Roger Gale tells Home Secretary she is responsible for crisis.

"That facility operated fantastically until 5 weeks ago. Until the Home Secretary took the policy decision not to commission further accommodation. And it is that that has led to the crisis at Manston."

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1587135671860449281
  • Options
    Suella Braverman comes to the Commons to address petrol attack on immigration centre yesterday.

She uses the opportunity to warn that Britain faces an "invasion of our southern coast" by asylum seekers

Unbelievable.

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1587135370151477248
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

🚨| BREAKING: Rishi Sunak in a major crisis as ‘Deeply unhappy’ Tory MPs are ALREADY drafting letters of no confidence in him.

https://twitter.com/politlcsuk/status/1587051559011160064?s=46&t=cCAoGMtV-HrWMD0Uh-dCiQ

And so it begins.

I don't believe this. They're being stupid if they are already drafting letters.
    Well, I can believe Boris is. And Rees-Mogg. What else have they got to do with their day?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Suella Braverman, the home secretary, claims Britain is facing an 'invasion' of migrants

'The British people deserve to know which party is serious about stopping the invasion on our southern coast and which party is not

Hold on, I thought we took back control of migration?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1587132337967562752?t=s0uYZuIR3jdj0qlyNjLbTw&s=19

These are unconvincing figures for Starmer, VI is unlikely imo to stall where it is if these figures continue
  • Options
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

We are apparently paying £7m a DAY to house these people in Premier Inns, so that seems perfectly possible

We regularly stay at Premier Inns with dinner bed and breakfast for both of us averaging £135 per night
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Free movement yes - the problem is illegal immigration.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

As Lenny used to say, everything’s premier bar the price !

At least these vulnerable people are not being stuck in Travelodges..
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Leon said:

Yeah, gets results even quicker than a pussy grab.
    Clever
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

That's a shame. I was hoping if the unprincipled moderator could stick to his guns might get Alastair back
  • Options
    Cruella is daring Rishi to sack her.

And he won't
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

And so it begins.

I did say you always lose things how you got them.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

We regularly stay at Premier Inns with dinner bed and breakfast for both of us averaging £135 per night
    You fail to get the government "discount"
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes, but you get a complementary half board thrown in when you buy the Daily Telegraph.

Just mention, “Butwhataboutthecurry”.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1587132337967562752?t=s0uYZuIR3jdj0qlyNjLbTw&s=19

These are unconvincing figures for Starmer, VI is unlikely imo to stall where it is if these figures continue

Look at the "tells the truth" dot on that graph. That says an awful lot.
  • Options

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes, but you get a complementary half board thrown in when you buy the Daily Telegraph.
    I have no idea what you mean to be fair
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

Always the problem that people can imagine the current PM as PM doing things rather than a hypothetical Starmer.

Starmer hasn't had a chance to get anything done, whereas Sunak clearly has "done" somethings.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Scott_xP said:

EXCL: Rishi Sunak planning to scrap target to cut 91,000 civil service jobs and resume 'fast stream' recruitment stream - by @rowenamason et al
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/31/ministers-scrap-target-cutting-91000-civil-service-jobs?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I've never seen a new govt swallow the civil service line so quickly.

As I suspected, Rishi is the blob's dream come true. No obvious willingness to do anything vaguely novel or controversial.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

I have no idea of the numbers but I know of two large hotel/events venues within a few miles of me that have been closed down as they are now being used as accommodation centres, each holding around 100 refugees. Though they are for Afghan refugees who were pulled out as the British left because of their connection with British forces. I suspect that if you start adding up all the different refugees/asylum seekers who we need to accommodate you will quickly reach that 35,000 number.

Though again it would depend on definition. I would expect that those who are clearly going to be granted asylum or have already been granted such - the Afghans being a good example - would not need secure accommodation and so would be ideal for being housed in hotels and other places around the country until permanent housing can be sorted out.

A few people who have lost wedding bookings etc have been understandably upset but the local community has stepped up to the mark well, arranging aid packages and such like to help out the refugees. There certainly doesn't seem to be any antipathy towards them.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Cruella is daring Rishi to sack her.

And he won't

Are you watching? She's defending herself very well it seems to me.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Her party has been in power for 12 years.
  • Options
    No idea how you undertake opinion polling in Russia. Still less, how do you do anything to take action on it. But interesting slide away from Putin nonetheless.

"Latest Levada opinion poll on public mood in Russia:

October
    36% want to “continue military operations” in Ukraine
    57% want to “begin peace talks”

September
    44% for continuing the offensive
    48% for starting peace talks"

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1586333785259671553
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Scott_xP said:

I don't think or pretend they are all refugees in distress. But I think acting as if none of them are is disproportionate and cruel on those which are.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited October 2022
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

You just take the piss out the site but if that's OK with the owners I guess you can do what you like. I'm off. Bye all.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Her party has been in power for 12 years.
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Free movement yes - the problem is illegal immigration.
    The two were deliberately conflated by Brexiters. Indeed, we were told it would be easier to manage asylum seekers outside the EU.

I guess it was just another lie.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    Scott_xP said:

Did I miss the explanation of how that aim is furthered by cramming about three times as many people into the facility as it was designed for? Or keeping them there for a month rather than 24 hours?

Mind you, to be fair, those were Afghans, so I must admit she has a point in that case. Why don't they just go home, stop whingeing and get on with it? Bloody immigrants. But oh - wait ...
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Scott_xP said:

Quickly edited from "secure messaging services" after the local yoga teacher spotted a typo.
  • Options

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

The £200 a day would include the mark up for the company managing them. The likes of Serco.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    A police plane has been circling over leeds for ages. Looks like a right mass of spaghetti on flightradar.
  • Options
    Braverman's culture war trilogy is complete
    1. "The Labour Party will try to stop us. The Lib Dems will go bananas. The Guardian will have a meltdown. As for the lawyers, don’t get me started."
    2. "The Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati."
    3. https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1587134986913718274
  • Options
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Thats what happens if you stop funding the courts......all entirely predictable and a failure of the Home Secretary and her equally authoritarian predecessors. All chasing press headlines with no care about if the system works or not. Indeed fixing the problem, would give the Home Secretaries less visibility with the press.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2022
    Mortimer said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCL: Rishi Sunak planning to scrap target to cut 91,000 civil service jobs and resume 'fast stream' recruitment stream - by @rowenamason et al
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/31/ministers-scrap-target-cutting-91000-civil-service-jobs?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As I suspected, Rishi is the blob's dream come true. No obvious willingness to do anything vaguely novel or controversial.
    In case you didn’t notice, the disrupters just had a go at the whole disrupty thingy and it all went to shit quicker than anyone could have imagined.

No alarms and no surprises, please.
  • Options
    Cashless society....

Sunderland have banned away fans from bringing coins and vapes into the Stadium of Light.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63456664
  • Options

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

They’re BACK

Mine eyes dazzle. I've never seen so many brightly coloured anoraks.
    You must be a birder. As far as we are concerned, they only come in one colour. Green.
  • Options

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Thats what happens if you stop funding the courts......all entirely predictable and a failure of the Home Secretary and her equally authoritarian predecessors. All chasing press headlines with no care about if the system works or not. Indeed fixing the problem, would give the Home Secretaries less visibility with the press.
    Very counter productive cuts, and in fairness some of it goes righ tback to the coalition days.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

I suspect that would probably break at least half a dozen international laws on the treatment of refugees.
  • Options
    You know your political position is weak when you are trying to excuse your incompetence by arguing you are at least trying, and it upsets your enemies that you are incompetent.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

£2.55bn a year?
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792

And so it begins.

Why would an MP fuss over "drafting" a no confidence letter?

All it needs to say is

"Dear Graham, I have no confidence in Rishi Sunak as leader of the Conservative party. Kind regards, [Forename] [Surname], MP for [Constituency]".

• Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

I suspect that would probably break at least half a dozen international laws on the treatment of refugees.
    I once stayed in Britannia Manchester.
    Can confirm.

• Options
    There must be a point where appointing a stream of Home Secretaries who constantly bang on about channel migrants becomes an electoral liability for the Tories because all their bluster is achieving is to highlight that it's still happening on their watch. I don't know what the solution is, but I suspect it involves bunging France a vast wad of cash to make the problem go away, and that's best done quietly, behind the scenes.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

The £200 a day would include the mark up for the company managing them. The likes of Serco.
    Is the £7m an official government figure, or is it an estimate, created by multiplying 35,000 by £200?

• Options

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Not sure that is the case. How many of those are already accepted as successful asylum claimants - like the Afghans I mentioned earlier - but we just don't yet have any permanent homes for them. According to the British Government, as of August, we had accepted 21,000 Afghans as legitimate refugees in the aftermath of our withdrawal almost all because of their association with British forces.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58245684
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

£2.55bn a year?
    Yep
  • Options
    ping said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_xP said:

In case you didn’t notice, the disrupters just had a go at the whole disrupty thingy and it all went to shit quicker than anyone could have imagined.

To be fair, they never actually got the chance to properly explain potential supply side reforms or cost savings.

Probably a good thing, as what we did hear was total shite.

Mortimer’s point is not to be dismissed out of hand.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    Tories gone full UKIP. Nasty nasty party.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Tres said:

Tories gone full UKIP. Nasty nasty party.

One desperate Tory perhaps, who is reminding Sunak that he loses his majority if she gets replaced by Michael Green or Corinne Stockheath again.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    ping said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_xP said:

Because some very nasty vested interests that have metastasised within the system didn't like being disrupted, yes. Didn't mean such a process was not worthwhile - perhaps even vital.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    I think the major economic challenges, invasion of Ukraine, energy crisis, illegal immigration issue and others are big issues that make predicting next election extremely difficult. It is far too simplistic to assume that the Tories will inevitably get it in the neck at the next election. Take illegal immigration. I think this is brewing up. All over the country hotels are being filled. Some are landmark buildings. You couldn't invent a better way of causing public disquiet. Problem for Labour is they will be seen as worse than the Tories on this issue and can only gain if Reform or similar pick up Tory votes. On the economy if people are worried that will take precedence over any motivation to punish the Tories in my opinion. If Sunak and Hunt can look more competent or less risky than Labour then a lot of votes will swing back. As a minimum LP would have to have a very pared back programme on expenditure, but will they? A lot of votes are soft I think outside the hardcore 20% for each party.
This discussion has been closed.