Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Mordaunt didn’t have the numbers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

That was really weird. There’s a hint of Truss about Sunak. Oh dear oh dear.

https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1584565663175098368

Ridiculous comment
    Just watched it, it was a little strange reading sincerity straight off the autocue. He'll need to work on that. Boris is a hard act to follow on the comms side of the job.
    Seriously? Did you not see the Peppa Pig episode?
    I did. It was mad, but it wasn't boring.

Sunak set a similar tone to the voice on the tannoy that comes on after a concert telling you the party's over and it's time for everyone to go home. Maybe that is what he intended. :-)
    I am quite happy with sensible and boring for politicians. If I want to see a clown I'll go to a circus.
    Quite right on clowns, but national leaders can't afford to be completely boring if they want people to follow them.
    Relatively boring is not actually boring.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Just had a “McPlant” for the first time.

Not impressed. If you’re tempted, I wouldn’t bother.

There is much better/tastier/healthier vegetarian/vegan food out there.

Not even worth the £1.39 I paid for it. Normal price nearer £4.

Processed shite.

Most 'plant based' stuff is heavily processed unhealthy shit. Its a massive con
    Thing I don't understand is why a vegetarian/vegan would want to eat fake meat when there's so much proper vegetarian/vegan food available.
    They might like the taste of meat but have moral issues with it.
    Right, but fake meat doesn't taste like meat.
    How would you know if you're a vegetarian ? :smile:

The Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers are surprisingly edible, and quite cheap.
    I occasionally join the vegetarians in my family in eating them.
    Ditto the sausages, which I actually prefer when ordering cooked breakfasts, as most greasy spoon sausages are crap.
    My understanding is that Beyond sausages contain almost exactly the same amount of meat as Tesco values ones.
    Imagine. Scientists spend years carefully replicating the texture and taste of real, prime meat and the product bombs because it tastes nothing like a 'real' sausage.
    And yet quite unintelligent animals produce real, prime meat with no effort at all.
    Are you suggesting....gammon?
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

More high level calls between Russia and Western officials:

@DefenceHQ
    A statement on the Chief of the Defence Staff’s call with the Russian Chief of the General Staff, General of the Army Valery Vasilyevich Gerasimov

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1584560170323017728

Interestingly I don't think Macron has spoken to Putin lately. Hopefully the Russian military is looking for a way out. They must surely know that Putin is the obstacle.

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
    Just watched it, it was a little strange reading sincerity straight off the autocue. He'll need to work on that. Boris is a hard act to follow on the comms side of the job.

Sunak set a similar tone to the voice on the tannoy that comes on after a concert telling you the party's over and it's time for everyone to go home. Maybe that is what he intended. :-)
    I am quite happy with sensible and boring for politicians. If I want to see a clown I'll go to a circus.
    Quite right on clowns, but national leaders can't afford to be completely boring if they want people to follow them.
    Starmer will be giving it a jolly good go from 2024.
    Clement Attlee was pretty dull by all accounts. I believe Churchill described him as a humble man with much to be humble about
    Sounds like an arsehole.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    ydoethur said:

Driver said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

Thing I don't understand is why a vegetarian/vegan would want to eat fake meat when there's so much proper vegetarian/vegan food available.

The Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers are surprisingly edible, and quite cheap.
    Ditto the sausages, which I actually prefer when ordering cooked breakfasts, as most greasy spoon sausages are crap.
    My understanding is that Beyond sausages contain almost exactly the same amount of meat as Tesco values ones.
    Tesco Value, of course, hasn't existed for years.

The cheapest Tesco pork sausages are 53% pork.
    So @rcs1000 is right about the meat content?
    Well, if 53% is "almost exactly the same" as zero, then yes...
  • ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

Imagine. Scientists spend years carefully replicating the texture and taste of real, prime meat and the product bombs because it tastes nothing like a 'real' sausage.
    And yet quite unintelligent animals produce real, prime meat with no effort at all.
    Yes, but Nadine Dorries might be a little tough
  • Labour twits would be well-advised to hold their Twitter fire aimed at Rishi Sunak, at least until he's in office and actually governating.
  • Rishi Sunak totally blanks Matt Hancock. [VIDEO]

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1584555852094005248

Yes I saw that! Marvellous.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Anyone who has ever visited Stockholm will likely have seen the amazing Vasa warship, built 1626-28. An astonishing sight.

Well, marine archaeologists have just found her sister ship: Äpplet (’The Apple’). What are the chances?

Fabulous fact about Vasa

The use of different measuring systems on either side of the vessel caused its mass to be distributed asymmetrically, heavier to port. During construction both Swedish feet and Amsterdam feet were in use by different teams. Archaeologists have found four rulers used by the workmen who built the ship. Two were calibrated in Swedish feet, which had 12 inches, while the other two measured Amsterdam feet, which had 11 inches.[62]
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2022

Rishi Sunak totally blanks Matt Hancock. [VIDEO]

Friends.....thumbs up Friends....ohhhhhhh

I think we can write of Handycock getting back at Health.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    Driver said:

ydoethur said:

Driver said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

Ummm...I think you missed what I was implying about the real content of 'vegetarian' sausages...
  • Doubtless tomorrow we are to be subjected yet again to that ghastly lectern in Downing St as Truss departs and Sunak returns from the Palace. I don't understand why they now do this - it is a pretty recent thing. I particularly fail to see why Truss chose to face such a public humiliation at that lectern last Thurday. Until recently departing PMs simply issued a press statement - or said nothing at all. Wilson issued a statement announcing his retirement in mid-March 1976 but made no comments as he left for the Palace three weeks later. Callaghan said nothing in 1979 as he left No 10 to resign . In 1990 Thatcher announced her decision to withdraw from the Leadership ballot via a press statement and only addressed the cameras a week later as she departed for the last time.
    The arrival of a new PM was often followed by a broadcast to the nation - which is what Macmillan did in 1957, Alec Douglas-Home in 1963 and Wilson in 1964. In 1970 Ted Heath did give a statement from the steps of No 10 - but said nothing at all on leaving in March 1974. When Wilson returned there, he uttered just a few words before going inside. Callaghan said nothing on arriving at No 10 but did broadcast to the nation. Thatcher made her St Francis of Assisi remarks in May 1979.
    Others may see it differently, but to me the lectern comes across as somewhat false and contrived.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

nico679 said:

Short and sweet . I really don’t care he gave a one minute statement , we don’t need half an hour of vacuous guff , he’s not Bozo.

Still I’ll give him a chance unless he puts the stain on humanity as HS.

We so need a liberally minded, independent thinker at the Home Office which has not quite recovered from Theresa May's baleful influence. I would love to see what someone like Gove could do with it.
    I can't think of any liberally minded, independent thinkers at the Home Office any time I've been following politics.

Straw and Blunkett etc were major authoritarians in the job too.

Who was the last liberally minded Home Secretary do you think?
    Possibly Alan Johnson, although he wasn't there particularly long. The greatest of all, of course, was Roy Jenkins who changed this country so much for the better.
    Whitelaw as well?
    Yes, he definitely gets a pass mark. Not many though. It is an incredibly difficult department to run and prone to producing far more than the average level of cockups.
    Clarke was Home Secretary as well of course for a time - just over a year.

Edit - and of course he initiated many changes at Justice in 2010 with the intent of liberalising the system.
    Clarke was worse than Blunkett. IDcards, restrictive on trial by jury stuff etc
    Jacqui Smith with 42 day detention...
    Labour had some right nutters
    Nah - Gunner Blunkett gets the prize!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2006/oct/17/prisonsandprobation.ukcrime1
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited October 2022
    Re; Clarke, Jacqui Smith and others, that was indeed the fag-end era of New Labour authoritarianism, as wooliedyed highlights, and I hope Starmer doesn't go too far back to that, as his Mail-pleasing comments today on jailing roads protestors today might be interpreted as indicating.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Rishi's acceptance speech was really quite wooden. I wish him well, but he's not the greatest telly, to put it mildly.

Yeah that was bizarre. The height of the autocue needs to be adjusted. Still - first night nerves and all that. Willing to cut him some slack.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    ydoethur said:

Driver said:

ydoethur said:

Driver said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

Ummm...I think you missed what I was implying about the real content of 'vegetarian' sausages...
    Ah, I see. I thought it was a Tesco Value joke... Sorry, long day, early start (the washing machine engineer took "8am to 1pm" more literally than I would have hoped), not enough caffeine.
  • ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment

Starmer will be giving it a jolly good go from 2024.
    Clement Attlee was pretty dull by all accounts. I believe Churchill described him as a humble man with much to be humble about
    Churchill was always rather indignant about that, because he didn't. In fact, he rated Attlee highly for all he could make silly remarks about Gestapos.

I think it was Duff Cooper who said however 'an empty taxi drew up and Clement Attlee got out.'
    True statement - IF you substitute "Duff Cooper" for "Clement Attlee".
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089

Selebian said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
    Also just watched. I guess he wanted carefully chosen words, but for something that short it would have been better to either do it off the cuff/from the heart or at least read the autocue in a way that made it look like it was.

Still, if the worst that we can say is that he's a bit wooden, he's not doing too badly. No spooking of the markets or breaking of his own laws just yet :smile:

'Wooden' when you're up against Starmer is not that big a problem anyway, to be fair.
    Also unlike Truss, Sunak has done loads of interviews over the past few years and he usually comes off somewhere between fine and well. However, obviously its much easier when you are giving sweeties out rather than taking them away and Rishi problems have normally come when he has tried to go out into the real world and do a photo-op.
    I think we are looking at this a little bit backwards.

Having a dull technocrat on the Tory benches, while in the national interest, makes it *easier* for Starmer.

The "who has the biggest clown shoes" argument has flipped and it is now Labour's to lose. So the Tories need to offer something compelling even though they are "technically" (and with a substantial majority) in government.

"Looking similar to Starmer" plays into Labour's hands.
  • Doubtless tomorrow we are to be subjected yet again to that ghastly lectern in Downing St as Truss departs and Sunak returns from the Palace. I don't understand why they now do this - it is a pretty recent thing. I particularly fail to see why Truss chose to face such a public humiliation at that lectern last Thurday. Until recently departing PMs simply issued a press statement - or said nothing at all. Wilson issued a statement announcing his retirement in mid-March 1976 but made no comments as he left for the Palace three weeks later. Callaghan said nothing in 1979 as he left No 10 to resign . In 1990 Thatcher announced her decision to withdraw from the Leadership ballot via a press statement and only addressed the cameras a week later as she departed for the last time.
    The arrival of a new PM was often followed by a broadcast to the nation - which is what Macmillan did in 1957, Alec Douglas-Home in 1963 and Wilson in 1964. In 1970 Ted Heath did give a statement from the steps of No 10 - but said nothing at all on leaving in March 1974. When Wilson returned there, he uttered just a few words before going inside. Callaghan said nothing on arriving at No 10 but did broadcast to the nation. Thatcher made her St Francis of Assisi remarks in May 1979.
    Others may see it differently, but to me the lectern comes across as somewhat false and contrived.

I wonder if they have brought in the downing street carpenter to reduce the size of the lectern?
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

nico679 said:

Short and sweet . I really don’t care he gave a one minute statement , we don’t need half an hour of vacuous guff , he’s not Bozo.

We so need a liberally minded, independent thinker at the Home Office which has not quite recovered from Theresa May's baleful influence. I would love to see what someone like Gove could do with it.
    I can't think of any liberally minded, independent thinkers at the Home Office any time I've been following politics.

Possibly Alan Johnson, although he wasn't there particularly long. The greatest of all, of course, was Roy Jenkins who changed this country so much for the better.
    Whitelaw as well?
    Yes, he definitely gets a pass mark. Not many though. It is an incredibly difficult department to run and prone to producing far more than the average level of cockups.
    Clarke was Home Secretary as well of course for a time - just over a year.

Edit - and of course he initiated many changes at Justice in 2010 with the intent of liberalising the system.
    Clarke was worse than Blunkett. IDcards, restrictive on trial by jury stuff etc
    Jacqui Smith with 42 day detention...
    Labour had some right nutters
    Nah - Gunner Blunkett gets the prize!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2006/oct/17/prisonsandprobation.ukcrime1
    Nutters everywhere!
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sunak is the new Attlee folks, you read it here first.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

nico679 said:

The Binyam Mohammed affair/MI5 stuff says no for me
    I thought that was more a Foreign Office mess than Home Office. Did not reflect well on us, that is for sure but I don't know what Alan Johnson had to do with it.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149

Doubtless tomorrow we are to be subjected yet again to that ghastly lectern in Downing St as Truss departs and Sunak returns from the Palace. I don't understand why they now do this - it is a pretty recent thing. I particularly fail to see why Truss chose to face such a public humiliation at that lectern last Thurday. Until recently departing PMs simply issued a press statement - or said nothing at all. Wilson issued a statement announcing his retirement in mid-March 1976 but made no comments as he left for the Palace three weeks later. Callaghan said nothing in 1979 as he left No 10 to resign . In 1990 Thatcher announced her decision to withdraw from the Leadership ballot via a press statement and only addressed the cameras a week later as she departed for the last time.

I wonder if they have brought in the downing street carpenter to reduce the size of the lectern?
    Or are hunting for Mr Major's soapbox.

Rishi Sunak totally blanks Matt Hancock. [VIDEO]

Friends.....thumbs up Friends....ohhhhhhh

I think we can write of Handycock getting back at Health.
    The falling of Hancocks face is tragic. Falstaff and Henry V.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Congratulations @RishiSunak on becoming Leader of the Conservative Party.

Rishi will provide the calm, competent, pragmatic leadership our country needs at this deeply challenging time. He has my full support.

https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/1584550840450404352

Huge congratulations @RishiSunak on becoming PM to lead us through challenging times. I predicted a decade ago that @Conservatives would select our first Brit Indian PM & proud today that comes to be. I wish Rishi the v best, he has my wholehearted support

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/1584532175122489345

Boris……..?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    AlistairM said:

@DefenceHQ
    A statement on the Chief of the Defence Staff’s call with the Russian Chief of the General Staff, General of the Army Valery Vasilyevich Gerasimov

Interestingly I don't think Macron has spoken to Putin lately. Hopefully the Russian military is looking for a way out. They must surely know that Putin is the obstacle.
    There seems to be a blithe assumption that whatever follows VVP will be more favourable.
    Jonathan said:

So he's taken over after a catastrophic party split - check.

He loses an imminent election very badly - possibly.

He later leads his party to an enormous majority - unlikely

He is leader for 20 years - not happening.
  • mwadams said:

Selebian said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
    Also just watched. I guess he wanted carefully chosen words, but for something that short it would have been better to either do it off the cuff/from the heart or at least read the autocue in a way that made it look like it was.

Still, if the worst that we can say is that he's a bit wooden, he's not doing too badly. No spooking of the markets or breaking of his own laws just yet :smile:

'Wooden' when you're up against Starmer is not that big a problem anyway, to be fair.
    Also unlike Truss, Sunak has done loads of interviews over the past few years and he usually comes off somewhere between fine and well. However, obviously its much easier when you are giving sweeties out rather than taking them away and Rishi problems have normally come when he has tried to go out into the real world and do a photo-op.

Having a dull technocrat on the Tory benches, while in the national interest, makes it *easier* for Starmer.

The "who has the biggest clown shoes" argument has flipped and it is now Labour's to lose. So the Tories need to offer something compelling even though they are "technically" (and with a substantial majority) in government.

I am not sure it does. Starmer's only real USP is that he is "sensible". He is now a "sensible" person who has no experience of governmental office
  • Interesting comments abound on European twitter that Varadkar was half-Irish. So Sunak is in fact indeed the first ethnic minority leader of any european country.

Leo Varadkar is 100% Irish = Irish born & bred. Of mixed ethnic heritage, like Obama.

Only racists claim that Barack Obama is "half-American". Same with this "half-Irish" skunk-shit.

@DefenceHQ

We really, really want a negotiated way out of this disaster but we are struggling for ideas that are not insane. Can you help? was my rather freehand translation.

I would suggest he would be better off saying very little at all followed by a later Ministerial broadcast.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    AlistairM said:

@DefenceHQ

He did give another speech where he started talking about Russia's humiliation after the fall of the USSR again.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    Jonathan said:

In what respect?
  • Meanwhile, Microsoft Teams hasn't got any better...

It has been meetings Monday and Teams has twatted up successive meetings in entirely different ways. It (sadly) is now entirely integrated into the infrastructure I use - I just wish it would work consistently.
    I find it's pretty good once you actually get into the meeting. It's all the dross that they've superimposed on top of it which is a disaster, such as account management.
    We have been using it for years and find it extremely reliable - far more so than the hardware infrastructure within companies that are using it.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    I worry a bit about Sunak.

However his rise to be PM is a really great thing. Skin colour will hopefully never be an issue in the UK ever again.

Jonathan said:

In what respect?
    None.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089

mwadams said:

Selebian said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment

I am not sure it does. Starmer's only real USP is that he is "sensible". He is now a "sensible" person who has no experience of governmental office
    Certainly, if things are still to heck, "no experience" is the best card to play, and hope it beats out the mood of "we've had quite enough experience of Conservative government."
  • Omnium said:

However his rise to be PM is a really great thing. Skin colour will hopefully never be an issue in the UK ever again.

Didn't they say that about Obama and the USA?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

Rishi starts here
    Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 56% (-1)
    CON: 22% (=)
    LDM: 10% (+3)
    GRN: 4% (=)
    SNP: 4% (=)
    RFM: 3% (=)

Via @Omnisis, 21-22 Oct.
    Changes w/ 20 Oct.

It's a golden legacy actually. Impossible to go anywhere but up. This is the absolute best state to take over something. Johnson had similar in July 2019 of course and, boy, did he ride it.

Also he's bound to shine cf his immediate predecessor. For starters he'll get rave reviews just for a fiscal statement that isn't crazy and doesn't push the gilt markets into pandemonium.

And he married into billions. Lucky lucky Rishi Sunak.
    DavidL said:

@DefenceHQ

We really, really want a negotiated way out of this disaster but we are struggling for ideas that are not insane. Can you help? was my rather freehand translation.
    How about:

They shoot Putin and his cabal

They withdraw from all of Ukraine, including Crimea.

They return all the people they've kidnapped to their homes

They pay reparations for all the damage done and compensation to the families of the dead.

When they have done that, Zelensky's government will agree to fair, free and democratic referendums in Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson, Kharkiv, Crimea and Zaporizhzhia, supervised by the EU and UN, on whether to join Russia or not, with a full pledge that if they do vote to join Russia, they will be free to do so.

That could work.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,285
    Omnium said:

The less racism there is in a country the more fuss is made about the subject, and vice versa.
  • Looks like the PB Tories are BACK!

Omnium said:

Didn't they say that about Obama and the USA?
    :grimace: Please may the gods save us from that fate. How has Farage reacted to Sunak?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774

Meanwhile, Microsoft Teams hasn't got any better...

It has been meetings Monday and Teams has twatted up successive meetings in entirely different ways. It (sadly) is now entirely integrated into the infrastructure I use - I just wish it would work consistently.
    Word of advice: don't use the app, do it all through the browser. You'll have a significantly better experience.
    Andy_JS said:

Omnium said:

The less racism there is in a country the more fuss is made about the subject, and vice versa.
    I really don't think that's true. The United States alone stands as a very strong counter-example.
  • Jonathan said:

In what respect?
    reassuringly dull and managerial
  • Andy_JS said:

Interesting comments abound on European twitter that Varadkar was half-Irish. So Sunak is in fact indeed the first ethnic minority leader of any european country.

What about Benjamin Disraeli?
    Benjamin Disraeli opens a whole can of worms around whether Judaism is an ethnicity or a religion. Fwiw, in religious terms, Disraeli was Christian.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    edited October 2022
    Driver said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

I do like the idea of a 'Tesco values' range though, or maybe several.

Good old British values range: every product wrapped in the fleg, with a smiling (white, male, gammony) farmer on the cover and a statement that, where animal based, all the animals were cisgender. Flagship product: "Aberdeen North British Angus burgers" that are all bull with verified balls, not cows that call themselves 'Angus'. Marked in lbs and ozs and priced in £/s/d

Woke/stop oil values range: every product fronted by a non-binary countryside stewardex of colour; pronouns of any dead animals involved provided on packaging. Nutrition info replaced by detailed GHG emissions info - including induced flatulence, plus the number of socially disadvantaged persons exploited in manufacture. Every product sold in a catapult for launching at oil-based items around the world. Flagship Rainbow Warrior product, "Black puddings matter" (vegan product)
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited October 2022
    That clip of Sunak’s initial speech is awful. Comes across as even more wooden than Truss and totally fake.

He needs to loosen up.

Hopefully he’ll grow into the role.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,168
    Prediction: Sunak will surprise on the downside. He’s looked good when compared to Johnson and when compared to Truss, but it’s easy to look good compared to those two. Many are assuming Sunak wants to win from the centre, but he was a Leaver, he supported Johnson. He was too timid to desert Johnson until very late. His main accomplishments are furlough and other COVID support (which any CoE would’ve done and his model was full of fraud), Eat Out to Help Out (which increased COVID spread) and increasing NI (there would’ve been better tax changes to make). I am HUGELY grateful we don’t have Johnson back, that Truss is gone, that we don’t have a Braverman, Badenoch or Baker, but I don’t think Sunak is some Wunderkind who will turn the Tories’ fortunes around.

Jonathan said:

In what respect?
    Gonna hike National insurance.
    Israel is contributing to helping stop drone attacks in Ukraine. Conveniently it aligns with their own best interests.

https://euromaidanpress.com/2022/10/24/israel-destroys-iranian-drone-factory-in-syria-human-rights-activists/
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Labour leads by 33%.

Westminster Voting Intention (23 October):

Labour 54% (-1)
    Conservative 21% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 11% (-1)
    Green 4% (–)
    Reform UK 4% (–)
    Scottish National Party 3% (-1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 19 October

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-23-october-2022 https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1584575446217330691/photo/1
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    Betfair have already got a new next Conservative Leader market up.

Lol.

Lol.

Who's favourite?

Wild guess says Johnson...
  • Andy_JS said:

Interesting comments abound on European twitter that Varadkar was half-Irish. So Sunak is in fact indeed the first ethnic minority leader of any european country.

Benjamin Disraeli opens a whole can of worms around whether Judaism is an ethnicity or a religion. Fwiw, in religious terms, Disraeli was Christian.
    It is obviously an ethnicity linked to a religion. No can of worms at all unless your name is Jeremy Corbyn

Lol.

Lay the phatboi.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Dura_Ace said:

AlistairM said:

@DefenceHQ

There seems to be a blithe assumption that whatever follows VVP will be more favourable.
    I don't see a blithe assumption about that all. Lots of people accept that what follows the little fascist might be worse.

However: Russia is in a bind, and I cannot see its economy - or the state of the war - getting better as time goes on. If Putin was replaced, his replacement would have to deal with the fallout of all this mess - and it is easier for a new person to deal with the realities of the situation, and blame that reality on Putin.

Whoever replaces Putin would have to have lots of support from other influential people. And selling: "Let's try to get out of this hideous war and sort out the economy and military" is an easier sell to a crowd than: "Let's double down and nuke everyone!" Especially when those people like their foreign houses and yachts.

I cannot see any Putin replacement forcing the war harder - because if they wanted that, they'd just keep Putin in place. I really don't see Putin being as a roadblock in Russian barbarity.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited October 2022
    Ishmael_Z said:

Lol.

Lay the phatboi.
    This time, I agree.

Although 7/1 (or the current lay price 15/1) ain’t tempting.

I’ll give the market a miss, for now.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Lol.

Lay the phatboi.
    I'll pass. He's not really my type.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Prediction: Sunak will surprise on the downside. He’s looked good when compared to Johnson and when compared to Truss, but it’s easy to look good compared to those two. Many are assuming Sunak wants to win from the centre, but he was a Leaver, he supported Johnson. He was too timid to desert Johnson until very late. His main accomplishments are furlough and other COVID support (which any CoE would’ve done and his model was full of fraud), Eat Out to Help Out (which increased COVID spread) and increasing NI (there would’ve been better tax changes to make). I am HUGELY grateful we don’t have Johnson back, that Truss is gone, that we don’t have a Braverman, Badenoch or Baker, but I don’t think Sunak is some Wunderkind who will turn the Tories’ fortunes around.

You are trying to raise money for a health-related item - what tax would be a better one to raise - given that wealth / property taxes are definitely not in the tory party playbook.
  • Ishmael_Z said:

Lol.

Lay the phatboi.
    That is just what Carrie thought when she first met him.
    Dura_Ace said:

AlistairM said:

@DefenceHQ

If you ignore the many times people have not assumed that.

Lol.

When the Tories lose the General Election will Rishi stand down? I don't believe any Tory has stayed in post when they have lost an election for 50 years. History would suggest he would go. Penny I'm sure will be chomping at the bit but it will be at least 5 years in opposition.
  • Andy_JS said:

Omnium said:

People who lived through apartheid might disagree.
    Andy_JS said:

Omnium said:

"fuss"
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Scott_xP said:

Labour leads by 33%.

Labour 54% (-1)
    Conservative 21% (+2)
    Green 4% (–)
    Reform UK 4% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 19 October

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-23-october-2022 https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1584575446217330691/photo/1

See Rish already improving Con fortunes! :D

Downing Street awash with spin-quacks, many of dubious credentials as well as associations, who have constant, continual need to demonstrate their "skills" even when totally lacking, or outright unhelpful to their alleged bosses.
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

@DefenceHQ

How about:

They shoot Putin and his cabal

They withdraw from all of Ukraine, including Crimea.

They return all the people they've kidnapped to their homes

They pay reparations for all the damage done and compensation to the families of the dead.

When they have done that, Zelensky's government will agree to fair, free and democratic referendums in Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson, Kharkiv, Crimea and Zaporizhzhia, supervised by the EU and UN, on whether to join Russia or not, with a full pledge that if they do vote to join Russia, they will be free to do so.

That could work.
    Where is Field Marshall Zhukov when you need him?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    What does Sunak believe in:

So in accelerating growth, I have three priorities. Priorities that I believe will foster a new culture of enterprise and deliver a higher growth rate. The first is to encourage greater levels of capital investment by our businesses. Second, we need to improve the technical skills of the tens of millions of people already in work. And third, we want to make this the most innovative economy in the world by driving up business investment in research and development.

Capital. People. Ideas. Three priorities to deliver higher productivity, tied with one golden thread: that what government does is far less important than creating the conditions for private businesses and individuals to thrive. Let me take each priority in turn.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/chancellor-rishi-sunaks-mais-lecture-2022

Excoriates unfunded tax cuts “which DON’T pay for themselves”.

Worth a read.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    My Letter to @JakeBerry on MPs absolute utter contempt for the @Conservatives party members.

I have now resigned my membership, the party is Finished.

#StitchUp https://twitter.com/ItsJamesPowers/status/1584531007176253440/photo/1
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited October 2022

Andy_JS said:

It is obviously an ethnicity linked to a religion. No can of worms at all unless your name is Jeremy Corbyn
    As someone married into that ethnicity/religion, I would say it is indeed incredibly complex. Some Jews identify as an ethnicity, others as a religion, others almost only as some sort of cultural or intellectual affiliation or worldview. The European-Jewish inheritance.

On purely the ethnic front alone as per the discussion below, the average European component mix for European Jews is actually around 75%, from the DNA figures, IIRC.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    AlistairM said:

Lol.

When the Tories lose the General Election will Rishi stand down? I don't believe any Tory has stayed in post when they have lost an election for 50 years. History would suggest he would go. Penny I'm sure will be chomping at the bit but it will be at least 5 years in opposition.
    Heath stayed on for 4 months after losing the October 1974 general election until Thatcher ousted him (having also stayed on after losing the 1966 general election, winning in 1970). Wilson too stayed on as Labour leader after losing power in 1970, winning in 1974
    Scott_xP said:

Labour leads by 33%.

Labour 54% (-1)
    Conservative 21% (+2)
    Green 4% (–)
    Reform UK 4% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 19 October

Swingback.
  • kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Omnium said:

"fuss"
    Indeed. Not really appropriate word. A kind of inverse hyperbole rather than understatement.

You can imagine a commentator saying "when the allies overran Belsen the troops really did make quite a fuss about it"
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841
    edited October 2022
    Redfields final 'best PM' for Truss shows 59 - 8 in favour of Starmer, a simply eye watering stat.
    Hunt has taken a dive too on approval, only 19% positive. More i think a product of the government's paltry 8% approval.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

I cannot see any Putin replacement forcing the war harder - because if they wanted that, they'd just keep Putin in place. I really don't see Putin being as a roadblock in Russian barbarity.

The only significant political pressure on VVP inside Russia with regard to the SMO is from those who consider that it's being executed incompetently and with insufficient aggression.

If there is regime change he'll be replaced by somebody prepared to act with less restraint. Unless the whole Russian Federation gets tipped into civil war which is not impossible and also not ideal.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697

Lol.

Kemi will be the next leader (and LOTO) IMO.
    Dura_Ace said:

The only significant political pressure on VVP inside Russia with regard to the SMO is from those who consider that it's being executed incompetently and with insufficient aggression.

If there is regime change he'll be replaced by somebody prepared to act with less restraint. Unless the whole Russian Federation gets tipped into civil war which is not impossible and also not ideal.
    It would probably increase gas prices quite substantially.
  • Andy_JS said:

Being of Jewish heritage was most certainly regarded as an "ethnicity" in Disraeli's day, and for many days thereafter. Not just in UK, but across Europe and North America.

Just as Catholicism was part and parcel of the Irish Catholic ethnic identity. As Protestantism was integral to Scots-Irish identity.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

My Letter to @JakeBerry on MPs absolute utter contempt for the @Conservatives party members.

Am I supposed to know who these people are. I click on it to be presented by a scream mask avatar, with bugger all followers and I diatribe of retw@tters on their timeline.
  • wf1954wf1954 Posts: 15
    AlistairM said:

Lol.

Heath hung on from October 74 to Feb 75 when he was narrowly defeated by Thatcher.
    Scott_xP said:

#Lolbuggeroff
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    Scott_xP said:

Now, there's a man who needs to get his shift key checked. It seems to be engaging at random points. Then, after that, the apostrophe and exclamation mark keys. But shift key first, I'd say.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211

Looks like the PB Tories are BACK!

Mick O'Reilly writes: we never went away.
  • ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Lol.

Lay the phatboi.
    Yea, but just imagine how much of a talking point it would be: "Boris, yea, I've had him."
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    rcs1000 said:

Meanwhile, Microsoft Teams hasn't got any better...

Word of advice: don't use the app, do it all through the browser. You'll have a significantly better experience.
    Very much this. In particular the native app is completely unreliable on Intel Macs. Running it within Chrome is much less bug-infested. (It’s the only thing I keep Chrome around for, tbh.)
    He is not 'the first Asian PM' FFS BBC.

He is the first Prime Minister of the UK to be of Asiatic ethnicity.

Which is altogether different.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,267
    Dura_Ace said:

It’s easily possible Putin will be followed by ultra-Putin

And while it’s encouraging that western officials are talking to Russian officials, there’s also this:

“Ukraine war heading for ‘uncontrolled escalation’, says Russia
    Moscow appears to be preparing ground for further escalation with discredited claims that Kyiv may use ‘dirty’ bomb”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/24/ukraine-war-heading-for-uncontrolled-escalation-says-russia

And this time it's personal.

Yep. They are rocking and rolling. Nice to see.
    wf1954 said:

AlistairM said:

Lol.

Heath hung on from October 74 to Feb 75 when he was narrowly defeated by Thatcher.
    That was complicated by the fact that the Tories were redrawing their rules for electing a leader, and everyone agreed to wait until after that had been done and then Heath would call the first of a new, annual series of leadership elections.
  • Scott_xP said:

Not sure Jake Berry will be around to read it....

Anyway, I suspect for each one that leaves, two of us will bounce back to the party to replace him.
    Yep, I am thinking of rejoining. They might refuse me, because when they last sent me a begging letter (as I was a one time doner) I drew a big cock and balls on the letter and sent it back in the prepaid envelope.

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Lol.

Lay the phatboi.
    Yea, but just imagine how much of a talking point it would be: "Boris, yea, I've had him."
    Well, as a man I suppose it would be, but practically every woman under 50 in London would be in a position to echo me...
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,267
    But this is also “encouraging”, in the dire circs

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/24/russian-tv-presenter-anton-krasovsky-accused-of-inciting-genocide-in-ukraine

His remarks were pure Hitler. Perhaps sane Russia is pushing back, at last

Scott_xP said:

Anyway, I suspect for each one that leaves, two of us will bounce back to the party to replace him.
    Yep, I am thinking of rejoining. They might refuse me, because when they last sent me a begging letter (as I was a one time doner) I drew a big cock and balls on the letter and sent it back in the prepaid envelope.
    So the question is whether they're over their adicktion?
  • Scott_xP said:

Absolutely and let them clear off to ReformUK or Farage
This discussion has been closed.