Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mordaunt didn’t have the numbers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,665
    The centre-left usually dislikes Brexiteers. They seem to be making an exception for Rishi Sunak.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    nico679 said:

I think Labour really need to avoid the “Rishi is loaded and doesn’t care about you” angle.

Whenever Labour have tried to attack Tory PMs for their apparent wealth and privilege it has backfired. I don’t think it’s a good look.

Attack him on policy. There’s plenty they can go on.

The word cloud shown earlier suggest the public think this already .

Johnson seemed to dupe many into falling for his man of the people guff . I don’t see Sunak managing this . I suspect he’ll really help the Tories in the south but the infamous red wall will be much more difficult .
    Inclined to group wordclouds with voxpops and focus groups.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,784
    Driver said:

ping said:

Just had a “McPlant” for the first time.

Not impressed. If you’re tempted, I wouldn’t bother.

There is much better/tastier/healthier vegetarian/vegan food out there.

Not even worth the £1.39 I paid for it. Normal price nearer £4.

Processed shite.

Most 'plant based' stuff is heavily processed unhealthy shit. Its a massive con
    Thing I don't understand is why a vegetarian/vegan would want to eat fake meat when there's so much proper vegetarian/vegan food available.
    They might like the taste of meat but have moral issues with it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,791
    edited October 2022

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

We almost have crossover on the next election / overall majority market:

NOM 2.42
    Con maj 6.4
    Lab maj 2.38

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.167249195

Poor old FUDHY. He’ll have to script some new gobbledegook to copy n paste now that Mr Starmer is no longer the saviour of his precious ring Union.
    Must say I haven't quite processed the implications for Scotland - given the four parties involved in practice, five at Holyrood. I think I need to see a few more policies from Mr S [edit] and his minder first.
    He has a minder?
    Mr Hunt isn't his minder? I can very possibly have misunderestimated Mr S, to be fair, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong. But in reality the economics are going to dominate, and no way was he going to give Mr H the boot.
  • Options
    Any idea when the country will hear from the new PM?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    IanB2 said:

I think the risk of malcontented ERGers and Trussites is a bit overblown. My sense is that Rishi’s coronation is broadly welcomed across factional divides.

I’m a Rishi skeptic, but I appreciate he was/is the best of a bad lot.

His first test will be Cabinet.

If he rewards talentless but early supporters like Williamson and Raab, and fails to deal with toxic Rees-Mogg and Braverman, it will be a bad sign.

If he tries to eject Hunt, ditto.

Hunt isn't going anywhere!

The two tests for the Cabinet appointments will be:

- does he reach out to all wings of the party? I reckon he'll pass this one, including having some right wingers along for the ride

- will the appointments be based on talent? (less politely, will he bin the nutters?) This will be the interesting one; the list of people he should ditch is long, and the question will be how much the politics pushes him to retain a few names that he shouldn't (such as Braverman)
    I think Cleverly might keep the FO. One of the few Johnsonites who isn't pure 100% dickhead. So that's a low risk, defensible way for Sunak to look broad church.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,941
    TOPPING said:

Who would have thought that PB was such a hotbed of Wykehamists.

It was always the school where bright people go. You don't hear about it so much these days (this from my nieces and nephews) so presumably still as rarefied and selective as it ever was.

Since we left the old place we lacked daily interaction with pedantic weirdos but that gap was filled once we discovered PB.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Medvedev going for the full Nazi look now.

Major sartorial escalation from Medvedev, who visited the Uralvagonzavod tank factory in this leather trench coat

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1584552400316420101

Amazing resemblance to Albert Speer (minus arm band) in HIS salad days (pre-Spandau).
  • Options
    Hooray Spurs are unbeaten under our new PM.

Didn't get to vote but I'm ready for Rishi and don't have to tear up my (PB) Tory membership card again ...well, not yet.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

I have been monitoring the below the line comments on The Spectator for a while – call it research – and noticed over past months an uptick in racist dog whistles 1/7

https://twitter.com/chedwardes/status/1584508048537550848?s=46&t=7RE56skczd2vb2Y1_ovcfg

It's good that someone performs this unattractive task so that we don't have to. At the moment not much above the line in the Speccie is of great value either (I exempt book reviews from this generalisation).

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    I live opposite the Natural History Museum (although I’m moving shortly). It’s the one they used for the Night of the Museum movies.

They’ve toppled the admittedly dodgy Teddy Roosevelt statue outside as it is no longer considered appropriate, so Teddy ain’t turning up there anymore either.

Superb collection of stuffed animals in dioramas, though. Totally worth a visit or two.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

Thing I don't understand is why a vegetarian/vegan would want to eat fake meat when there's so much proper vegetarian/vegan food available.
    Right, but fake meat doesn't taste like meat.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Could have waited until Wednesday so Truss was PM for 50 days.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056
    Scott_xP said:

Extremely disappointing news that Penny Mordaunt has quit and that Rishi Sunak will be next Tory leader and Prime Minister. It's not what Conservative members want; nor what the country wants. We will have a globalist PM and the #MigrantCrisis and #IdentityCrisis will get worse. https://twitter.com/ruralconserv/status/1584536248642781185

An extreme pressure group with 1,350 followers founded and led by a former columnist for the Express, the Star and the Daily Post.

I’m disappointed in you Scotty. Surely you can do better than that?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vyj1C8ogtE
  • Options
    Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

I assume that's the goal, albeit not achieved yet.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

I think Labour really need to avoid the “Rishi is loaded and doesn’t care about you” angle.

Whenever Labour have tried to attack Tory PMs for their apparent wealth and privilege it has backfired. I don’t think it’s a good look.

Attack him on policy. There’s plenty they can go on.

Can you give examples? I know they tried it on Cameron, but I think that didn't work due to proximity to a previous Labour government, not because it wasn't true / Tories were good at combatting it.

Considering the fact that Labour under SKS are going out of their way to make the bridge between certain Tory and Labour policies as small as possible, going after Sunak as an unlikable rich posho makes sense to me. He has Mitt Romney vibes.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

It was always the school where bright people go. You don't hear about it so much these days (this from my nieces and nephews) so presumably still as rarefied and selective as it ever was.

I sent my sons somewhere a bit more normal. But there is a slight tribal satisfaction to put against my financial losses on RS.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DJ41 said:

boulay said:

DJ41 said:

Neat takeover of No10 by the almost-billionaire, starting in July when he resigned from the government.

He could never have won a membership vote, but it turned out there was another route.

Questions include

1. Will someone (Banksy?) put the money up to split the Tory party? (Recall Malcolm Pearson meeting Tommy Robinson in the HoL.)

2. Did Sunak try to become a scholar at Winchester, or did he think that becoming anything other than a commoner was beyond his grasp? (What do you reckon, @Boulay? :smile: )

3. What will the Daily Mail say about the Sunak administration's imminent (Halloween) budget, or will the entire media perhaps call it Hunt's statement? (Recall the Daily Mail's joyous applause for the Truss and Kwarteng budget.)

You don’t want to be a scholar, Dynamo, otherwise you turn out like Marcus Fysh.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. Did Sunak sit the Winchester College Election exams, or didn't he? And if he did, did he put down that he wanted to be a scholar? (Some sit Election and even perform well and say they only want an exhibition - as you probably know.) We know he wasn't a scholar. I'm interested in whether he tried to be one.
    Bugger these trivialities. A hot must be held, and Domum sung, forthwith. It's not every day a 218 year drought ends.
    Why would X score a scholarship but only plump for an exhibition, please? Cos X has enough money or what?
    It used to be a point of honour (and a subtle boast) until fees became egregious
  • Options
    What is timetable for LT going to palace, then RS being summoned by KCIII?
  • Options

Rishi was a dedicated Brexiter from a young age, probably through precocious reading of Telegraph editorials in the Maastricht era and consuming all the guff about “sclerosis”.

He is an instinctive fiscal dry, with an additional dose of Treasury orthodoxy which he clearly absorbed wholesale as CEx. Probably unsurprising as he is relatively inexperienced.

He works hard, and as a cultural “outsider” I think he is free from some of the more deranged shibboleths of Tory thinking - the thinly disguised 1950s nostalgia.

On the other hand, despite being highly articulate, he has a tendency toward insincerity, narcissism, possibly arrogance, and he presents as very out of touch. He really only understands “working people” in the very abstract.

He will be a much more worthy opponent for Keir than than Johnson or Truss.

This is going to be interesting.

For me it is the utter relief that Johnson has gone and the conservative party has elected a person of decency and integrity, and having Asian origin speaks highly of our country, and yes the conservative party

I am confident he will appoint a cabinet from across the party and will be serious in tackling the awful financial position we face

He will give Starmer a different number of problems and 2 years is a long time in politics and I do expect he will close the polls in due course

However, this is not to say that Starmer will not win in 24 but his task may be a wee bit harder after today
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,700
    kle4 said:

When he's PM?

He's Leader of the Conservatives, but until Truss resigns and HMKCIII asks him to form a government, he isn't PM.

King returning to London today, but expectation is that this will happen tomorrow.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    Rabbit family update. FaceTime with dad and he has big broad smile on his face at long last. 😍

In the background, Daily Mail reading mother blames Gove for the mess of the last month 😁
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

The expectation is that it’ll happen tomorrow
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Too much to hope that it can be pushed to the 1st January I think.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

kle4 said:

When he's PM?

He's Leader of the Conservatives, but until Truss resigns and HMKCIII asks him to form a government, he isn't PM.

King returning to London today, but expectation is that this will happen tomorrow.
    He's due to speak for the first time as Tory leader shortly. BBC and Sky keep showing a shot of a podium.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

How would you know if you're a vegetarian ? :smile:

The Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers are surprisingly edible, and quite cheap.
    I occasionally join the vegetarians in my family in eating them.
    Ditto the sausages, which I actually prefer when ordering cooked breakfasts, as most greasy spoon sausages are crap.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Andy_JS said:

The centre-left usually dislikes Brexiteers. They seem to be making an exception for Rishi Sunak.

Maybe he can square the circle. That is, the problem that economically we can't do without it, and politically we can't do with it.
    Perhaps in a perfect world he could do a truce with SKS thus: Let's agree in the centre ground, Tory and Labour, that taxes sometimes rise and we both accept that we say so even at election time, and that taxes fall on all but should be nicely progressive as you get richer, and that EEA/EFTA is the only solution that is both sane and honours the letter of the Brexit referendum.
  • Options

In time for PMQs?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,665
    The Daily Mail is speculating that Braverman could return as Home Secretary. Surely not.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416

Rishi was a dedicated Brexiter from a young age, probably through precocious reading of Telegraph editorials in the Maastricht era and consuming all the guff about “sclerosis”.

He is an instinctive fiscal dry, with an additional dose of Treasury orthodoxy which he clearly absorbed wholesale as CEx. Probably unsurprising as he is relatively inexperienced.

He works hard, and as a cultural “outsider” I think he is free from some of the more deranged shibboleths of Tory thinking - the thinly disguised 1950s nostalgia.

On the other hand, despite being highly articulate, he has a tendency toward insincerity, narcissism, possibly arrogance, and he presents as very out of touch. He really only understands “working people” in the very abstract.

For me it is the utter relief that Johnson has gone and the conservative party has elected a person of decency and integrity, and having Asian origin speaks highly of our country, and yes the conservative party

I am confident he will appoint a cabinet from across the party and will be serious in tackling the awful financial position we face

He will give Starmer a different number of problems and 2 years is a long time in politics and I do expect he will close the polls in due course

However, this is not to say that Starmer will not win in 24 but his task may be a wee bit harder after today
    There was the moment in a press conference last winter, when asked if he supported Boris ‘Saville’ jibe, Rishi answered it’s not a remark he would have used himself, and straight away we could imagine a dawn across a whole new land and way of doing things.

It was also the moment The Mail started howling “traitor” for the first time.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    edited October 2022
    I imagine KC3 is relieved. Tough trying to work out if Johnson had the confidence of the house.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,841
    edited October 2022
    How will Sunak please all wings of the party with only so many high profile jobs available .

If Hunt needs to stay as COE and Wallace at defence .

The FO I think should go to Mordaunt .

Those who should be fired with no job . Cleverly , Mogg and Zahawi are at the top of the list .
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Are either of Rishi's parents still alive?

If so, they must be insanely proud, like only Indian parents can do - cubed!
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141

I live opposite the Natural History Museum (although I’m moving shortly). It’s the one they used for the Night of the Museum movies.

They’ve toppled the admittedly dodgy Teddy Roosevelt statue outside as it is no longer considered appropriate, so Teddy ain’t turning up there anymore either.

Superb collection of stuffed animals in dioramas, though. Totally worth a visit or two.

Daughter loves the model of the giant squid in the out-of-the-way anteroom (which is also conveniently located for the cafe that is usually empty because no-one knows it is there.)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sky showing live statement shortly
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,725

Rabbit family update. FaceTime with dad and he has big broad smile on his face at long last. 😍

In the background, Daily Mail reading mother blames Gove for the mess of the last month 😁

Glad all is well in the warren.
  • Options

I must have missed that controversy, what's dodgy about Teddy Roosevelt?

I thought he was roundly, across the aisle, accepted as one of America's greatest Presidents? What's controversial that leads to status toppling?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Those letters to the nuclear submarine commanders have certainly been getting some turnover anyway.
  • Options

Good calls, Big G and GW.

Yes, it will be tougher for Starmer now but he can't have Christmas every day forever.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The Daily Mail is speculating that Braverman could return as Home Secretary. Surely not.

Good God no .

That would mean his honeymoon period with me will last about 24 hours!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

I assume that's the goal, albeit not achieved yet.
    Given that artificial sweeteners have been around for decades and drinks with them in still don't taste anything like (or as good as) equivalents with real sugar in, I won't be holding my breath...
  • Options

Rishi Sunak is becoming Prime Minister. His family is loaded so caviar and lobster on the menu for me from tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/number10cat/status/1584531605305298945?s=46&t=zwJrgd_fAg5vVIbAqlOl5w

Can someone explain what happens in this clip? I can’t figure it out as there seems to be no exchange between the individuals or pause in motion

https://twitter.com/Number10cat/status/1584535572441620483?cxt=HHwWhoDTlaets_0rAAAA
  • Options

I thought he was roundly, across the aisle, accepted as one of America's greatest Presidents? What's controversial that leads to status toppling?
    The statue had him on horseback, flanked by a grateful “negro” and “red indian”.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141

Scott_xP said:

Extremely disappointing news that Penny Mordaunt has quit and that Rishi Sunak will be next Tory leader and Prime Minister. It's not what Conservative members want; nor what the country wants. We will have a globalist PM and the #MigrantCrisis and #IdentityCrisis will get worse. https://twitter.com/ruralconserv/status/1584536248642781185

An extreme pressure group with 1,350 followers founded and led by a former columnist for the Express, the Star and the Daily Post.

Had a look at the website; didn't seem so there was anything posted recently. Or anything much! And what there was was up there with John Majors 'old maids cycling to evensong'.

In other news, personal news, I might not be around for a few days. Booked into hospital first thing tomorrow for a cervical decompression. Four vertebrae are involved and I won't be allowed out until I've got some mobility.

Play nicely while I'm away!
    Best wishes from me for a quick recovery!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Had a look at the website; didn't seem so there was anything posted recently. Or anything much! And what there was was up there with John Majors 'old maids cycling to evensong'.

In other news, personal news, I might not be around for a few days. Booked into hospital first thing tomorrow for a cervical decompression. Four vertebrae are involved and I won't be allowed out until I've got some mobility.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    I remember seeing Mrs Thatcher resign when I was 8 years old. So far as I could understand it felt like a significant event. Then in 1997 we had the Labour landslide and again a new PM. This felt significant because the win was so large and I only had the briefest memory of Thatcher as PM.

So we have a new government but it just feels like something that happens all the time now.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,964
    “EVERYONE GETS A RISHI HUG!”

Matt Hancock: 😃

“Not you”

Matt Hancock: 😐

https://twitter.com/jamesorharry/status/1584558158252748802/video/1
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

BBC takes Martine Croxall off air for potential breach of impartiality over Johnson

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1584546912476270594

Ridiculous over reaction by the BBC. They could have just said she’s been reminded about the impartiality rules and warned and left it at that . The BBC are clearly terrified of the Tories and their mission to destroy the organization.
    It really isn't. BBC journalists are supposed to be neutral.
    I remember Jeremy Clarkson on (old) Top Gear saying in 1997, "so you've all voted communist" and without sanction. BBC impartiality is an absolute crock- see my comment re: the Cenotaph.
    I believe that is what is called a "joke".
  • Options
    nico679 said:

How will Sunak please all wings of the party with only so many high profile jobs available .

Those who should be fired with no job . Cleverly , Mogg and Zahawi are at the top of the list .

Cleverly might get a job. He has less of a track record of being a fool.

He needs a headbanger, but Braverman really shouldn't get a job after quitting/sacking so soon. Patel failed too, so needs another option.
  • Options

Rishi Sunak is becoming Prime Minister. His family is loaded so caviar and lobster on the menu for me from tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/number10cat/status/1584531605305298945?s=46&t=zwJrgd_fAg5vVIbAqlOl5w

Can someone explain what happens in this clip? I can’t figure it out as there seems to be no exchange between the individuals or pause in motion

https://twitter.com/Number10cat/status/1584535572441620483?cxt=HHwWhoDTlaets_0rAAAA
    It's edited. It's part of a Sky News segment about a Green budget.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    Very disappointing from Sunak so far. Nothing much seems to have changed.
    At least Truss got on with it.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Agree, but I'd settle for him firing Mogg, three times.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Daughter loves the model of the giant squid in the out-of-the-way anteroom (which is also conveniently located for the cafe that is usually empty because no-one knows it is there.)
    Haven’t discovered that yet!
  • Options

nico679 said:

Out of a cannon.
  • Options
    boulay said:

TOPPING said:

Since we left the old place we lacked daily interaction with pedantic weirdos but that gap was filled once we discovered PB.
    Hey! I'm a finickity weirdo, thank you very much.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    kle4 said:

nico679 said:

He needs a headbanger, but Braverman really shouldn't get a job after quitting/sacking so soon. Patel failed too, so needs another option.
    Baker and/or IDS are both - in their own unique ways! - less nuts and toxic than Patel or Braverman.
  • Options

The statue had him on horseback, flanked by a grateful “negro” and “red indian”.
    He also blew away vast quantities of wildlife, esp. on a widely publicised world tour safari. No idea if that helped or not (some of the collected items ended up in the AMNH and/or the Smithsonian in DC, I believe?)
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Get well soon!

• Options
    kle4 said:

nico679 said:

Braverman would be a bad move . Immediate attacks as to why she’s back in that job after breaking the ministerial code .
  • Options

Meanwhile, Microsoft Teams hasn't got any better...

It has been meetings Monday and Teams has twatted up successive meetings in entirely different ways. It (sadly) is now entirely integrated into the infrastructure I use - I just wish it would work consistently.
  • Options
    Starts off with a tribute to Truss.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Andy_JS said:

That would be seriously disappointing, to understate it somewhat.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,197

Scott_xP said:

Good luck OKC. Hope it goes well and see you on here again soon!
  • Options
    Short and sweet - strange pause at the end. For photos I guess.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    BBC commentary.
    "Well, that was... short.."
  • Options

It is photoshopped to make a point in the voiceover about green budgets

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/briefcase-changes-color/
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sky showing live statement shortly
    I blinked and missed it
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico679 said:

Steve Baker is the thinking person's headbanger. If it is him instead of Rees-Mogg, Dorries, Patel, Braverman then I can live with that
  • Options

Can relate to this.

We are on the brink of getting our first British Asian Prime Minister. Spare a thought for us with Indian mums who are about to get absolutely rinsed about our lack of success.

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1584292613212946432?s=46&t=ZwoNMRsfHMNZdAMgET03Pw
    I thought the story was that Rishi didn't become a lawyer or a doctor, and so he settled for PM as the next best thing for his parents.
  • Options

mwadams said:

Are we discussing the same museum? I was thinking the American Museum of Natural History in NY but the squid reminds me of the NHM in South Ken.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    kle4 said:

nico679 said:

How about a strong and stable Home Secretary?

After all, it was Theresa May who originally argued that we should leave the ECHR.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Nigelb said:

BBC commentary.

You need to add "...as expected." to the end of that.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    edited October 2022

nico679 said:

I would be very happy to see JRM get a peerage from Bozo's resignation list even if it was added on in very wet ink.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,279

He's the eldest of three children, so he'd be pretty unlucky if both had died, but Wikipedia doesn't say.

If he was my child I would breathe more easily once he'd made it to 50 days...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Is @Scott_xP voting Tory again yet?

Thing is, we (normal ex-Cons members) used up a lot of our relief once Boris left and Liz took over. Yes we knew she would be bad but quite how catastrophically bad how quickly took us a bit by surprise.

As a result we are cautious about Rishi. Our loving the fact that Boris is no longer there has been watered down somewhat and our goodwill in less abundant supply.

Let's see what Rishi does - he was a leaver for example but maybe he realises the damage that that did (or perhaps he didn't really believe it in the first place). Either way, we have yet to see his true colours.

Can't speak for Scott, obvs.

I would also say that it is fantastic having someone of Indian origin as PM of the UK. We should all take a moment to ponder that.
    He’s as Indian as Johnson is Turkish…
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

That would be seriously disappointing, to understate it somewhat.
    Hopefully this is the DM trying to put their preferred candidate forward . Seeing as they’d always go for the most hateful one on offer .
  • Options
    Roger said:

The four big tests to come

1. No ministerial job for Braverman

2. No ministerial job for Patel

3. Ditch the Rwanda policy.

4. No position whatsoever for Rees Mogg

5. Find a route through Austerity which doesn't cause widespread cold and hunger this winter

6. Display the same level of pragmatism towards trade and migration that he showed when dropping the Furlough scheme onto us
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

BBC commentary.

Sky commentary.

"I was expecting...more..."
  • Options
    For how much faffing they did setting up that lectern, that was a bit of a waste of time, wasn't it.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Are we discussing the same museum? I was thinking the American Museum of Natural History in NY but the squid reminds me of the NHM in South Ken.
    I googled it, apparently the AMNH does indeed have a giant squid, fished up in NZ waters of all places…
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

BBC takes Martine Croxall off air for potential breach of impartiality over Johnson

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1584546912476270594

Ridiculous over reaction by the BBC. They could have just said she’s been reminded about the impartiality rules and warned and left it at that . The BBC are clearly terrified of the Tories and their mission to destroy the organization.
    It really isn't. BBC journalists are supposed to be neutral.
    I remember Jeremy Clarkson on (old) Top Gear saying in 1997, "so you've all voted communist" and without sanction. BBC impartiality is an absolute crock- see my comment re: the Cenotaph.
    I believe that is what is called a "joke".
    On an entertainment programme, not a news programme...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico679 said:

"The Standing at the Back Dressed Cleverly and Looking Cleverly Party"
  • Options

Meanwhile, Microsoft Teams hasn't got any better...

It has been meetings Monday and Teams has twatted up successive meetings in entirely different ways. It (sadly) is now entirely integrated into the infrastructure I use - I just wish it would work consistently.
    I find it's pretty good once you actually get into the meeting. It's all the dross that they've superimposed on top of it which is a disaster, such as account management.
  • Options

Oh . . . yeah that isn't a good look.

But not an issue with Teddy himself then? Not expecting any defacing of Mount Rushmore any time soon?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Labour needs to challenge Sunak's perceived strengths. I guess today that is that he is different to Johnson and more moderate than Truss.

So his record as Johnson's faithful number two carefully building up our debt and his right-wing background wanting to move money from North to South are all relevant.
  • Options

He is not even PM yet, and you want to have a go much like the news presenters who expect him to provide the lecturn speech he will give tomorrow in front of no 10 once he has met Charles

If anything else I hope we move into an era of grown up politics and media presentations, but will not hold my breath
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Braverman sounds mad. She's only just resigned and she was total rubbish. I hope he hasn't had to do deals with the headbangers.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000

Hooray Spurs are unbeaten under our new PM.

Didn't get to vote but I'm ready for Rishi and don't have to tear up my (PB) Tory membership card again ...well, not yet.

Welcome back, Scrapheap.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

I googled it, apparently the AMNH does indeed have a giant squid, fished up in NZ waters of all places…
    So it does, and also a life reconstruction model (squids being rather squishy and needing lots of pickling liquid).

• Options
    Robot Rishi could be a problem. That isn't who he is at all! The genuine warmth and ability to do human which I have seen first hand needs to be put in front of the cameras, not what he has just done.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

It would be Sunak's first major mistake to appoint Braverman to anything. She has just resigned having admitted breaking the Ministerial Code. Some time on the backbenches is the minimum punishment.

If Sunak is serious about governing with integrity, this is his first test.

It really ought not to be much of a test. It is not as if she is a strong performer.
  • Options

Robot Rishi could be a problem. That isn't who he is at all! The genuine warmth and ability to do human which I have seen first hand needs to be put in front of the cameras, not what he has just done.

Yes it was inadequate and a bit strange.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,700
    While I strongly disagree with Rishi Sunak’s politics and question his mandate, it’s important to recognise the significance of Britain’s first Prime Minister of South Asian heritage.

It’s not something our grandparents would ever have imagined when they made the UK home.

https://twitter.com/AnasSarwar/status/1584561606801121282
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543

He is not even PM yet, and you want to have a go much like the news presenters who expect him to provide the lecturn speech he will give tomorrow in front of no 10 once he has met Charles

If anything else I hope we move into an era of grown up politics and media presentations, but will not hold my breath
    Oh, Big G. My comment was so obviously a joke. Of course Sunak hasn't done anything yet.
This discussion has been closed.