Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mordaunt didn’t have the numbers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited October 2022

DavidL said:

nico679 said:

Short and sweet . I really don’t care he gave a one minute statement , we don’t need half an hour of vacuous guff , he’s not Bozo.

Still I’ll give him a chance unless he puts the stain on humanity as HS.

We so need a liberally minded, independent thinker at the Home Office which has not quite recovered from Theresa May's baleful influence. I would love to see what someone like Gove could do with it.
    I can't think of any liberally minded, independent thinkers at the Home Office any time I've been following politics.

Straw and Blunkett etc were major authoritarians in the job too.

Who was the last liberally minded Home Secretary do you think?
    Ken Clarke
    Rory Stewart was great as Prisons Minister, a real breath of fresh air, but he didn't have long.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    EPG said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

🗺️ NEW MRP | Which of the following do you think would make the best prime minister? (21-23 Oct)

Starmer: 389 wins in constituencies
    Sunak: 127 constituencies
    'Not sure': 116 constituencies

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/10/24/mrp-starmer-wins-best-prime-minister-389-seats-sun https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1584584547156766720/photo/1

Ridiculous polling

He isn't PM until tomorrow and any change in polling will take time

Let's see where we are next April/ May
    The nation gave Truss 40 days. Things move quickly these days. I can't recall you asking for more time for Truss.
    Truss behaviour and mini budget condemned her in days

Sunak/ Hunt combination has steadied the markets and been welcomed especially the bond market

Next Monday is Hunt's statement produced alongside the OBR which will be responsible and I expect substantial energy and bank windfall taxes

Johnson is gone and my relief is palpable, and I expect a very different government going forward
    You do realise Sunak worked quite happily for Johnson and presided over the creation of the economic problems we now face. You can blame Truss for many things, but she just lit the touch paper on the charges that Sunak had laid before she entered no10.
    A misunderstanding. Sunak said you can't borrow to pay for tax cuts. Liz did that. That's what caused the meltdown.
    Sunak borrowed to pay for Covid, energy bills, and his leadership ambitions. The difference is he did it earlier, when interest rates were on the floor. Sunak 2: The Cutter is going to look starkly different to Sunak 1: The Spender.
    Yes. Not to pay for ideologically driven tax cuts.
  • Options

What are the odds, that some of the more questionable (to put it mildly) selections for Boris Johnson's DisHonours List will NOT get their unjust payoffs?

AND also that Liz Truss will get no list at all for her 15 minutes of infamy as badly-acting Prime Minister?

Since every sycophantic MP given a peerage will create a potential by-election defeat, quite possibly Rishi will exercise his blue pencil.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2022
    How bad of a candidate is JD Vance?

A question long pondered by science.

Here is how bad he is.

Two polls out today show DeWine leading the Ohio governor race by 13 pts and 24 pts respectively.

However in the Ohio Senate race JD Vance leads by 1pt and 0pts respectively.

Now, in reality there is no way ticket splitting will be that high but hot damn, that is some shit numbers by Vance.

EDIT: Although I now see one of those polls is registered not likely voters so straight in the bin it goes.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    Early evening all :)

First, congratulations to Rishi Sunak and it would be churlish of me not to wish him well as our Prime Minister. In the end, as I ventured last evening, he was the last one standing on the battlefield.

The obviously self-serving displays of unity and loyalty notwithstanding, the Conservative backbenchers, apart from the irreconcilable Johnson fans, have realised hanging together is vastly preferable to hanging separately though the polling numbers continue to suggest a huge challenge for the new administration.

The last three months of self-indulgent inertia won't be quickly forgiven or forgotten no matter how much some of the Conservative-inclined may wish it otherwise.

Sunak now faces the ultimate test of any politician - being a Cabinet Minister is one thing but as we've seen not all take the ascent to being primus inter pares in their stride. I genuinely don't know what kind of Prime Minister Sunak will be - to this observer, he needs to relax and try to find "the common touch" or at least empathy with those in dire financial straits.

We'll know more after we see the senior appointments - I imagine Javid will get a big job as might Mordaunt - Hunt will remain I would guess but there will be a tension as there always is when a former Chancellor moves next door. Prime Ministers who come via the Home or Foreign Offices don't have the same issues.

The Parliamentary Conservative Party can do displays of unity - the same happened with Hague as I recall - but the first crisis or problem will expose whether this unity is real or a chimera. It may be Sunak will enjoy a longer or shorter honeymoon or he may not - events, dear boy, events - but I'm sure the Conservative poll rating will perk up slightly for all Labour's prospects of regaining some of the seats lost in 2019 have probably improved.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

What does Sunak believe in:

So in accelerating growth, I have three priorities. Priorities that I believe will foster a new culture of enterprise and deliver a higher growth rate. The first is to encourage greater levels of capital investment by our businesses. Second, we need to improve the technical skills of the tens of millions of people already in work. And third, we want to make this the most innovative economy in the world by driving up business investment in research and development.

Capital. People. Ideas. Three priorities to deliver higher productivity, tied with one golden thread: that what government does is far less important than creating the conditions for private businesses and individuals to thrive. Let me take each priority in turn.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/chancellor-rishi-sunaks-mais-lecture-2022

Excoriates unfunded tax cuts “which DON’T pay for themselves”.

Worth a read.

They have just asked why Sunak unlike all his colleagues from the City supported Brexit. Apparently the reason is that though the City were all for Remain the hedge fund group to which Rishi belonged would do very well out of Brexit.....

So he's basically a speculator. Just what we don't need.......

Calling Moonrabbit..... You've got your first convert
    Since you’ve not read the speech, perhaps you’d prefer to not watch the video?

https://youtu.be/Gc2g2OR_dq4

Delivered the day Russia invaded Ukraine - so got no attention.
    Interesting. Though it better answers Moonrabbits questions than mine on Brexit. Actually it answers MR's concerns very well indeed. If she hasn't already she should listen to it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Dura_Ace said:

AlistairM said:

More high level calls between Russia and Western officials:

@DefenceHQ
    A statement on the Chief of the Defence Staff’s call with the Russian Chief of the General Staff, General of the Army Valery Vasilyevich Gerasimov

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1584560170323017728

Interestingly I don't think Macron has spoken to Putin lately. Hopefully the Russian military is looking for a way out. They must surely know that Putin is the obstacle.
    There seems to be a blithe assumption that whatever follows VVP will be more favourable.
    Russia does not have an unlimited number of young men to sacrifice.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

🗺️ NEW MRP | Which of the following do you think would make the best prime minister? (21-23 Oct)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/10/24/mrp-starmer-wins-best-prime-minister-389-seats-sun https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1584584547156766720/photo/1

Ridiculous polling

The nation gave Truss 40 days. Things move quickly these days. I can't recall you asking for more time for Truss.

Sunak/ Hunt combination has steadied the markets and been welcomed especially the bond market

Next Monday is Hunt's statement produced alongside the OBR which will be responsible and I expect substantial energy and bank windfall taxes

Johnson is gone and my relief is palpable, and I expect a very different government going forward
    You do realise Sunak worked quite happily for Johnson and presided over the creation of the economic problems we now face. You can blame Truss for many things, but she just lit the touch paper on the charges that Sunak had laid before she entered no10.
    Sunak was the architect of the hugely successful furlough scheme and in case you have forgotten introduced a windfall tax on energy

You clearly do not like him but maybe opposition supporters protest too much, as they see a very different decent and honest PM taking the fight to labour
    I just think you are glad that you got anyone but Boris. I don't blame you. But dig a little deeper and there are a few question marks over Sunak.
    Silly, a few question marks is as good as it gets with any politician. Boris and Liz, there were no question marks at all. Just !s.

You are butt hurt because SKS is going to have to work a lot harder. Me, I am rejoicing not as a Tory, W*k*h*m*st, or Oxford man but as a citoyen du Royaume Uni that Borliz iz history.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

That was really weird. There’s a hint of Truss about Sunak. Oh dear oh dear.

https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1584565663175098368

Ridiculous comment
    Just watched it, it was a little strange reading sincerity straight off the autocue. He'll need to work on that. Boris is a hard act to follow on the comms side of the job.
    No one could do sincerity like Blair tbf.
    As Michael Flanders once said: “always be sincere, especially when you don’t mean it.”

"So lie to me/But do it with sincerity" - Depeche Mode ("Lie to Me").
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341
    Which idiots wasted money on polling around the CURRENT Government over the last week? The only purpose of those data points is to make any upswing in the graph more pronounced.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

AlistairM said:

@DefenceHQ
    A statement on the Chief of the Defence Staff’s call with the Russian Chief of the General Staff, General of the Army Valery Vasilyevich Gerasimov

Interestingly I don't think Macron has spoken to Putin lately. Hopefully the Russian military is looking for a way out. They must surely know that Putin is the obstacle.
    There seems to be a blithe assumption that whatever follows VVP will be more favourable.
    Well Stalin, for one, had a policy of testing that theory and he never did find the limit.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Quite a sweet vibe imo from Sunak in that speech - which I've now seen. He looks like the 'delighted, but slightly overwhelmed by events' young man that he is.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
    Just watched it, it was a little strange reading sincerity straight off the autocue. He'll need to work on that. Boris is a hard act to follow on the comms side of the job.
    As Michael Flanders once said: “always be sincere, especially when you don’t mean it.”

“The key to success is sincerity. If you can fake that you've got it made.” George Burns.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous polling

Well, it might be useful for putting a ceiling on Labour seats?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    I've been watching the TV and seeing that people in the 'red wall' are complaining about how hard it is, cost of living crisis, how things are desperate etc, going to food banks etc.
    However, the minimum wage is £9.50 and there is something close to full employment. Both things that this 'tory' government have done.
    £9.50 an hour is a take home pay of £1384 per month.... after tax. Thats for 37.5 hours per week.
    If you have a double income of £2700 per month (ie two people on the minimum wage) how can anyone in this position seriously regard themselves as poor? That is before you add on tax breaks etc. You don't really pay much tax at this level anyway.
    And housing in the 'red wall' is not generally expensive anyway as we all know because of oversupply and historic depopulation.
    This is something that I have to say that I really struggle with.
    The media keep going to the 'red wall' to find evidence of hardship and poverty but, in my experience, it is actually the people in the south east are the ones who are really in trouble.
    Can't buy housing, rents are going up massively, even if you earn over the minimum wage you are getting hit with tax and NI.
    Plus you are more susceptible to rising mortgage payments because mortgages are higher because house prices are higher etc.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    EPG said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous polling

A misunderstanding. Sunak said you can't borrow to pay for tax cuts. Liz did that. That's what caused the meltdown.
    Sunak borrowed to pay for Covid, energy bills, and his leadership ambitions. The difference is he did it earlier, when interest rates were on the floor. Sunak 2: The Cutter is going to look starkly different to Sunak 1: The Spender.
    Certainly expect "Tory Cuts" to dominate political discussion from now right up to the next election.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Like the "Not Sure" crab trying to eat The Wash.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,141

Don't know (or care) what Twitsphere is tweeting, but am certain that selection of Rishi Sunak as next Prime Minister will be boost UK's standing with American public as well as key opinion leaders in DC, NYC and LA - the three great capitals of America with respect to government, economics, culture and ultimately politics.

Thing that will be most obvious to Americans is the fact that the UK now has a Prime Minister of Color. Which will come as a surprise to most of us, who realize that there are plenty of non-White folks in today's UK, but had little to no clue that they were advancing so far up the social & electoral ladder. In a place we consider LESS diverse and MORE stratified than our own melting pot.

For every American who is turned off by rise of Rishi on basis of his ethnicity, there were be four - or more - favorably impressed. Including MANY who are not particularly "progressive" in their thinking. But who DO believe in equality of opportunity, and judging others (at least in theory) by the content of their character (and experience, actions, values, principles, merits) than the color of their skin.

Believe that Americans are inclined to regard the UK in a positive light whenever possible. No guarantees for the future, but out of the gate, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak will confirm this view for tens of millions in the Unite States, from Maine to Maui.

The problem with this kind of take, welcome as it is, is the fact that it’s looking likely he won’t be PM after the next GE. Then we’ll get the op-eds implying we voted him out because of his ethnicity. A similar tale to Meghan, who didn’t seem to realise that being in the Royal Family meant a lifetime of opening roads and not saying anything particularly interesting about anything. And when she left…
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775
    edited October 2022
    biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

AlistairM said:

@DefenceHQ

Well Stalin, for one, had a policy of testing that theory and he never did find the limit.
    Even in Russia the people are likely less willing to test it out now.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited October 2022
    Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous polling

Sunak was the architect of the hugely successful furlough scheme and in case you have forgotten introduced a windfall tax on energy

You clearly do not like him but maybe opposition supporters protest too much, as they see a very different decent and honest PM taking the fight to labour
    I just think you are glad that you got anyone but Boris. I don't blame you. But dig a little deeper and there are a few question marks over Sunak.
    Silly, a few question marks is as good as it gets with any politician. Boris and Liz, there were no question marks at all. Just !s.

You are butt hurt because SKS is going to have to work a lot harder. Me, I am rejoicing not as a Tory, W*k*h*m*st, or Oxford man but as a citoyen du Royaume Uni that Borliz iz history.
    My butt is just peachy, no germaloids required. SKS was always going to have to work harder than the past month. That's fine.

Forgive my understatement, but Sunak's questions are serious. He was very happy as Boris number two and presided over the debt mountain and inflation that now suffocates us. He is not a fresh start.

Are we better off than BorLiz? Probably. Can Sunak take the UK to where it needs to be? No.

But I hope our saner Tories enjoy the moment.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited October 2022

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment

That great meeting of two Hollywood producers:

"You're lyin' to me! You're LYIN' to me!!!!"

"Yeah - but hear me out...."
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358

Andy_JS said:
    "Not sure" are Tory voters on strike.

This points to a Labour majority of about 100.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    darkage said:

I've been watching the TV and seeing that people in the 'red wall' are complaining about how hard it is, cost of living crisis, how things are desperate etc, going to food banks etc.
    However, the minimum wage is £9.50 and there is something close to full employment. Both things that this 'tory' government have done.
    £9.50 an hour is a take home pay of £1384 per month.... after tax. Thats for 37.5 hours per week.
    If you have a double income of £2700 per month (ie two people on the minimum wage) how can anyone in this position seriously regard themselves as poor? That is before you add on tax breaks etc. You don't really pay much tax at this level anyway.

You're rather stacking the deck there... Not everybody is in a two-person family. Not everybody in employment is in full-time employment. Not everybody without a job is counted in the official "unemployment rate" stat (check the 'economic inactivity rate' in these official stats, for instance: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9366/ ).
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    edited October 2022
    Been out all day and have just caught up. Saw the speech and was pretty underwhelmed but that's okay.

Rishi is going to be dull, and the General Election will be a borefest between two dull leaders which won't please Leondamus one bit.

But that's quite alright by me to be honest. I've had it with flamboyant liars and incompetents. So has the country. We need stability and good governance. We need to try and get through the colossal challenges we face. We may get some way towards achieving that with Rishi so let's give him a chance, and I write that as a leftie.

He should be fine.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

AlistairM said:

@DefenceHQ

Even in Russia the people are likely less willing to test it out now.
    Sadly though, if they say that then their chances of a window related accident exponentially increase.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    What jobs are Raab and Javid going to get?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Don't know (or care) what Twitsphere is tweeting, but am certain that selection of Rishi Sunak as next Prime Minister will be boost UK's standing with American public as well as key opinion leaders in DC, NYC and LA - the three great capitals of America with respect to government, economics, culture and ultimately politics.

Thing that will be most obvious to Americans is the fact that the UK now has a Prime Minister of Color. Which will come as a surprise to most of us, who realize that there are plenty of non-White folks in today's UK, but had little to no clue that they were advancing so far up the social & electoral ladder. In a place we consider LESS diverse and MORE stratified than our own melting pot.

For every American who is turned off by rise of Rishi on basis of his ethnicity, there were be four - or more - favorably impressed. Including MANY who are not particularly "progressive" in their thinking. But who DO believe in equality of opportunity, and judging others (at least in theory) by the content of their character (and experience, actions, values, principles, merits) than the color of their skin.

Believe that Americans are inclined to regard the UK in a positive light whenever possible. No guarantees for the future, but out of the gate, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak will confirm this view for tens of millions in the Unite States, from Maine to Maui.

Excellent post. There's also been some surprise on the left in Europe. It changes Britain's image in the world again, for another time.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Dura_Ace said:

I cannot see any Putin replacement forcing the war harder - because if they wanted that, they'd just keep Putin in place. I really don't see Putin being as a roadblock in Russian barbarity.

The only significant political pressure on VVP inside Russia with regard to the SMO is from those who consider that it's being executed incompetently and with insufficient aggression.

If there is regime change he'll be replaced by somebody prepared to act with less restraint. Unless the whole Russian Federation gets tipped into civil war which is not impossible and also not ideal.
    Don’t you mean “… gets tipped into civil SMO?”
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358
    Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous polling

My butt is just peachy, no germaloids required.
    Please. Tell us more about your butt.

• Options

Andy_JS said:
    "Not sure" are Tory voters on strike.

This points to a Labour majority of about 100.
    I can see at a glance at least 40 red seats that aren't voting Labour, though. Most of Scotland for a start.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Sh*t just realised. A significant milestone in my life has passed (not a good one). First time that the PM has been younger than me… :(

Don't worry, you're still about 35 years before the age where Joe Biden became President.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    Jonathan said:

you would've thought the obvious job for Javid is the one that Therese Coffey is currently doing. Health and deputy PM.

Raab possibly back to Justice.

Gove to the Home Office maybe?

Shapps to Leader of the House or Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster if he has to be kept at all.

Those are some obvious possibilities.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,012
    edited October 2022
    darkage said:

Sunak is obviously bright, has had a successful career and his willingness to go in to politics is really impressive.It is the same with Starmer. We need to think how the next generation of Sunaks and Starmers can come forward, as a lot of people that go in to Parliament are just not in the same league. 10 years ago the problem was that it was 'professional politicians' coming forward only, who had never done a real job and only worked in think tanks etc. Now the problem is that a lot of the people we get coming in to Parliament are just activists with mid ranking, unimpressive careers who seem to stumble in to the place by accident.

There's a ceiling on the attractiveness of a job where your outcomes have next to nothing to do with your ability. You keep or lose your job based on random economic factors, other people's performance in ministerial office, and the whim of local party members in safe seats on a particular day years before. Edited to remind, Sunak is a quasi-billionaire so these don't affect him.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    darkage said:

And housing in the 'red wall' is not generally expensive anyway as we all know because of oversupply and historic depopulation.
    This is something that I have to say that I really struggle with.
    The media keep going to the 'red wall' to find evidence of hardship and poverty but, in my experience, it is actually the people in the south east are the ones who are really in trouble.
    Can't buy housing, rents are going up massively, even if you earn over the minimum wage you are getting hit with tax and NI.
    Plus you are more susceptible to rising mortgage payments because mortgages are higher because house prices are higher etc.

I'd have thought lack of development/investment would be the bigger issue in the red wall rather than cost of living but of course energy bills are a big concern.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Those YouGov constituencies give us a baseline for the starting position. In the red wall what stands out to me is Hartlepool looks to have hone back hard to Lab, relatively competitive at this stage Bishop Auckland, Darlington, Middlesborough South and, surprisingly for me, Redcar with second tier Sedgefield and NW Durham. Sunderland has gone back towards Labour it seems.
    Of the rest keep that eye on Leicester East, sticking out like a sore thumb with a very small Starmer lead on a low score.
    Scotland and Wales 'unconvinced'! The Saxon shore of EA looks pretty solid
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

you would've thought the obvious job for Javid is the one that Therese Coffey is currently doing. Health and deputy PM.

Shapps to Leader of the House or Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster if he has to be kept at all.

I do hope that the Daily Mail's aspiration that Cruella Braverman goes to the Home Office ... is bollocks.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Here is how bad he is.

Two polls out today show DeWine leading the Ohio governor race by 13 pts and 24 pts respectively.

Now, in reality there is no way ticket splitting will be that high but hot damn, that is some shit numbers by Vance.

EDIT: Although I now see one of those polls is registered not likely voters so straight in the bin it goes.

Classic example of Ticket Spitting - Washington State 1964 General Election
    * incumbent

President
    Lyndon Johnson* (Dem) 779,881
    Barry Goldwater (Rep) 470,366
    other 8,309
    Dem vs Rep margin +309,505

US Senator
    Henry Jackson* (Dem) 875,950
    Lloyd Andrews (Rep) 337,138
    Dem vs Rep margin =538,812

Governor
    Albert Rosselini* (Dem) 548,692
    Daniel Evans (Rep) 697,256
    other 4,326
    Dem vs Rep margin -148,516
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Heathener said:

Been out all day and have just caught up. Saw the speech and was pretty underwhelmed but that's okay.

Rishi is going to be dull, and the General Election will be a borefest between two dull leaders which won't please Leondamus one bit.

But that's quite alright by me to be honest. I've had it with flamboyant liars and incompetents. So has the country. We need stability and good governance. We need to try and get through the colossal challenges we face. We may get some way towards achieving that with Rishi so let's give him a chance, and I write that as a leftie.

He should be fine.

It will be interesting to see whether the tone on social media reflects the new era of boring politics. It would be good if journalists acted like journalists again instead of activists.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,247
    Alistair said:

Here is how bad he is.

J D Vance will run for President one day is my prediction.

• Options
    Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

I do hope that the Daily Mail's aspiration that Cruella Braverman goes to the Home Office ... is bollocks.
    I would send her somewhere within 50% of the Home Office.

By which I mean, I would order her to go to her private house and stay there. Before anyone thinks I am blowing any dog whistles.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

He should be fine.

Rishi is not yet Prime Minister. That might explain a certain diffidence in public speaking. The King was not at home today. Appointing the new Prime Minister might happen tonight, tomorrow, or possibly even Wednesday. Until then, Liz Truss remains Prime Minister, our bets remain unsettled, and tomorrow's Cabinet will have a slightly odd feel.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited October 2022
    Geoffrey Clinton-Brown (member of 1922 Committee) said on camera on Sky News (about 20 mins ago) that Boris did have the 100 nominations required and voluntarily withdrew.
  • Options
    What happened to the American spy story?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

The problem with this kind of take, welcome as it is, is the fact that it’s looking likely he won’t be PM after the next GE. Then we’ll get the op-eds implying we voted him out because of his ethnicity. A similar tale to Meghan, who didn’t seem to realise that being in the Royal Family meant a lifetime of opening roads and not saying anything particularly interesting about anything. And when she left…
    Don't agree. Sure, that will be the take of some, but certainly NOT most Americans.

We do understand that there are other factors, such as the economy, Putin, etc., etc. So if (or when) Rishi loses the next election, only fringe commentators will chalk it up to racist backlash.

As for Meghan, she is MUCH less of a deal, one way or another, in US than in UK. Here she's just another celebrity, a tea-party (in British sense!) Kim Kardashian
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Jonathan said:

Raab for Home Secretary? He was a quick and vocal Sunak backer from the start after all. Though a real headbanger in that post still seems right.

Javid back to Health?
  • Options

Heathener said:

He should be fine.

Rishi is not yet Prime Minister. That might explain a certain diffidence in public speaking. The King was not at home today. Appointing the new Prime Minister might happen tonight, tomorrow, or possibly even Wednesday. Until then, Liz Truss remains Prime Minister, our bets remain unsettled, and tomorrow's Cabinet will have a slightly odd feel.
    Tomorrow morning, apparently, so presumably before that Cabinet (if indeed it happens at all).
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    rcs1000 said:

alex_ said:

Sh*t just realised. A significant milestone in my life has passed (not a good one). First time that the PM has been younger than me… :(

Don't worry, you're still about 35 years before the age where Joe Biden became President.
    There are geological ages younger than Biden.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous polling

My butt is just peachy, no germaloids required.
    Please. Tell us more about your butt.

Do we REALLY need cracks like that, here on PB?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906

What happened to the American spy story?

China

https://www.justice.gov/live
  • Options
    Driver said:

Heathener said:

He should be fine.

Tomorrow morning, apparently, so presumably before that Cabinet (if indeed it happens at all).
    Hmm, BBC News tells me I am wrong. That will be a bizarre meeting.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Raab for Home Secretary? He was a quick and vocal Sunak backer from the start after all. Though a real headbanger in that post still seems right.

Javid back to Health?
    Was Raab one of those driven sane by Brexit? Has he mellowed?
  • Options
    Clarence Thomas, who's wife participated in the coup attempt, blocks testimony about the coup attempt.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/justice-clarence-thomas-temporarily-blocks-graham-testimony-georgia-el-rcna53723
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Driver said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

He should be fine.

Only an hour to prep for PMQs?

Edit: This feels like a long week already...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Javid back to Health?
    Was Raab one of those driven sane by Brexit? Has he mellowed?
    There can't be many of those.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Here is how bad he is.

There are a number of Senatorial candidates (Masters and Vance spring to mind) who are extremely fortunate that there are popular Gubernatorial candidates standing for their party, who will result in them almost certainly outperforming their polls.

The exception is Pennsylvania, where the Republican's candidate for Governor is genuinely batshit crazy.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

He should be fine.

Its the following day
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Alistair said:

Clarence Thomas, who's wife participated in the coup attempt, blocks testimony about the coup attempt.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/justice-clarence-thomas-temporarily-blocks-graham-testimony-georgia-el-rcna53723

I dont understand this procedure whereby one justice makes at least temporary calls about cases. Shouldn't it be at least 2 in concert, just to avoid potential errors?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous polling

They boxed themselves in horribly, not being able to raise income tax, stuck with the triple lock - commitments they still have.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

DougSeal said:

Don't agree. Sure, that will be the take of some, but certainly NOT most Americans.

We do understand that there are other factors, such as the economy, Putin, etc., etc. So if (or when) Rishi loses the next election, only fringe commentators will chalk it up to racist backlash.

As for Meghan, she is MUCH less of a deal, one way or another, in US than in UK. Here she's just another celebrity, a tea-party (in British sense!) Kim Kardashian
    I agree on a lot of that, but I think Meghan has become a kind of totem on parts of the US left. There's reams and reams of american partisan support fo her on twitter, usually interspersed with an anti-colonialist narrative. Britain=racism=monarchy=colonialism. This is another area where I think Sunak changes things, and makes it harder to sustain a simple narrative about Britain, of the kind you said - not just the benchmark white and stratified society to compare yourself to.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

He should be fine.

Its the following day
    Indeed. But tomorrow will see a Cabinet meeting, a quick change in Prime Ministers, followed, one imagines, by appointment of a new Cabinet. It really does look as if Number 10 and Buckingham Palace were both expecting a contested election that would run until Friday.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

I dont understand this procedure whereby one justice makes at least temporary calls about cases. Shouldn't it be at least 2 in concert, just to avoid potential errors?
    The American Supreme Court is a completely bonkers instituition from top to bottom.

I would nuke it from orbit and start again, I think it is basically unreformable.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    Is Jake “The Moggster” Rees still Business Secretary?
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

He should be fine.

Its the following day
    Indeed. But tomorrow will see a Cabinet meeting, a quick change in Prime Ministers, followed, one imagines, by appointment of a new Cabinet. It really does look as if Number 10 and Buckingham Palace were both expecting a contested election that would run until Friday.
    To be honest Charles should have been in London from this morning no matter

He was only at Sandringham
  • Options

Is Jake “The Moggster” Rees still Business Secretary?

Not for much longer thankfully
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

He should be fine.

Its the following day

I was here when everyone on PB was getting pissy at the Queen for not coming down from Balmoral. The woman was at death's door.

What's the rush anyway?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    East Sussex, Oxfordshire, Cambs and Surrey all moving away from the Cons
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657
    Driver said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

He should be fine.

The partial solar eclipse will peak at 10.59 in London. Very inauspicious...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2022/10/21/rare-eclipse-of-the-sun-could-throw-shade-on-uks-latest-prime-minister-next-week/
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

The American Supreme Court is a completely bonkers instituition from top to bottom.

I would nuke it from orbit and start again, I think it is basically unreformable.
    The cheek not to recuse yourself from that decision.
  • Options
    Think that PBers under-estimate the actuality and potential for ticket-splitting in American elections.

Factors encouraging this divergence in partisan races on the same ballot include

> multiplicity of different races on ballots which encourages differentation based on candidates, offices, geography, demography

> widespread decline of "straight party" voting as legal option AND as voter practice.

> desire of many voters to split their tickets deliberately, as in wanting to vote for at least ONE candidate from the party that is NOT their usual option.

> late breaking developments that significant impact one race or candidate, but have no direct connection (other than perhaps party affiliation) with other races.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

He should be fine.

Its the following day

I doubt this was the King's call (and indeed going to Sandringham would have been no faff for the current and next PM).

A few hours makes no difference at all, and indeed buys Sunak a bit more time to make Cabinet plans etc.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    James Cleverly.

Has anyone had a more inappropriate surname?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

He should be fine.

Its the following day

I was here when everyone on PB was getting pissy at the Queen for not coming down from Balmoral. The woman was at death's door.

What's the rush anyway?
    Not everyone. That was pretend outrage on the misconception it was a requirement it happen in London.

Theres no rush as such, but it was a good chance it'd be done today so why not travel just in case?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

If it were up to me Junior Minister for Learning Obvious Facts and Cabinet Secretary for Looking Very Serious Whilst Doing Very Little.
  • Options
    Margaret Beckett on R4 PM - I thought she was dead.

Not a flicker of acknowledgment let alone guilt or shame from the old dinosaur for being personally responsible for all of this!
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited October 2022
    I know everything might still fall apart very quickly and they deserve a whole lot of opprobrium for the shit show of 2022 to date but it does feel like the Tory party took a collective decision to at least try and grow up, govern and help us all get through this this week. A million miles to go but it is something of an initial relief
  • Options
    Roger said:

James Cleverly.

https://lettersofnote.com/2009/10/28/we-all-feel-like-that-now-and-then/
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Not a flicker of acknowledgment let alone guilt or shame from the old dinosaur for being personally responsible for all of this!

Didn't we resolve the other day that Kenny Dalglish was responsible for all of this?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891

IanB2 said:

Didn't we resolve the other day that Kenny Dalglish was responsible for all of this?
    Here was me thinking it was Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657
    edited October 2022
    Roger said:

James Cleverly.

I used to work with a surgeon named Mr Payne, and was at Medical School with Sandra De'Ath...
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,012

DougSeal said:

I agree on a lot of that, but I think Meghan has become a kind of totem on parts of the US left. There's reams and reams of american partisan support fo her on twitter, usually interspersed with an anti-colonialist narrative. Britain=racism=monarchy=colonialism. This is another area where I think Sunak changes things, and makes it harder to sustain a simple narrative about Britain, of the kind you said - not just the benchmark white and stratified society to compare yourself to.
    To an extent, but I think the position of Indian-heritage people in the USA is also different to the position of African-heritage people, and something similar is true in the UK, to an extent that Sunak won't move the dial on people who fret about Meghan.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140

Andy_JS said:
    That's 516 in the forced choice, compared to the current 417 Lab + Con seats in parliament. You can whack 50 off Labour in Scotland. 339 Lab to 127 Con sounds not unreasonable.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    MikeL said:

Geoffrey Clinton-Brown (member of 1922 Committee) said on camera on Sky News (about 20 mins ago) that Boris did have the 100 nominations required and voluntarily withdrew.

Then Boris needs to show us the list.

Gary Gibbon on C4 News said the aggregate number of claimed nominations exceeded the total number of Tory MPs by 32.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,247
    Commentators being harsh on Sunak I think for his stiff and short acceptance speech.

This is the moment the enormity of what they are taking on descends on the speech giver. Cut him some slack.

If its still crap next week we can always fit another contest in before Bonfire Night.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2022

Commentators being harsh on Sunak I think for his stiff and short acceptance speech.

This is the moment the enormity of what they are taking on descends on the speech giver. Cut him some slack.

If its still crap next week we can always fit another contest in before Bonfire Night.

It is reported he will address the nation tomorrow in Downing Street after his trip to see Charles. An opportunity to give a better speech.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Most of Meghan fervor (and opposite) is Flavor of the month stuff here in USA.

The anti-colonialist angle is mostly due IMHO to totally cack-handed management of whole situation by Palace No-Brains Brigade of Guards & Drone Squad.

As for anti-monarchism, will NEVER be a big deal in US, particularly with respect to British model which is the only one anyone over here who is NOT a pimp, gigolo or high-priced escort gives a damn about. Just too many fans of the Royal Soap Opera, as demonstrated by popularity of "documentaries" about it from Henry VIII onward on woke-as-folk PBS.

So anti-monarchism has little future in America PROVIDED nobody tries to foist monarchy Brit-styleon US!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2022

MikeL said:

Gary Gibbon on C4 News said the aggregate number of claimed nominations exceeded the total number of Tory MPs by 32.
    List contained, J Duddridge, M Mouse....Dudders.....Dudders (Different to the others)...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

James Cleverly.

I used to work with a surgeon named Mr Payne, and was at Medical School with Sandra De'Ath...
    Used to have a landlord named Rooks, a lawyer no less. Aptly named.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Here was me thinking it was Ed Miliband.
    You have to go back a few steps before that.

Kenny Dalglish > Dennis Canavan > Eric Joyce (Stuart Andrew) > Ed Miliband > Margaret Beckett > Jeremy Corbyn > David Cameron > Theresa May > Boris Johnson > Liz Truss > Rishi Sunak

(or something like that)
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891

MikeL said:

Presumably when Boris said he was withdrawing some rushed to nominate Rishi instead? So it is possible.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Roger said:

James Cleverly.

Used to have a landlord named Rooks, a lawyer no less. Aptly named.
    There is a law firm (if I remember correctly in Warwick) called Wright Hassall
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458

It is reported he will address the nation tomorrow in Downing Street after his trip to see Charles. An opportunity to give a better speech.
    He isn't a great speaker. But Truss is a bad one, so that's an upgrade.
  • Options

Truss poor communication skills were not even half the problem.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Presumably when Boris said he was withdrawing some rushed to nominate Rishi instead? So it is possible.
    It's possible, yes. And perhaps it is true. But maybe it is not true, given Boris lies about pretty much everything.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited October 2022

MikeL said:

But we know many switched from Boris to Penny.

ie They were in the Boris 100 and then also in however many (approx 90?) Penny claimed today.

Sunak 200
    Boris 100
    Penny 90

Total 390

Say 50 switched from Boris to Penny, giving

340 MPs nominated someone out of 357 total MPs.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

alex_ said:

There are geological ages younger than Biden.
    Seem to recall him fondly recalling his fondness for his grandmother. She was one of the Beaker People?
  • Options

Truss poor communication skills were not even half the problem.
    This marks the end of my theory that Liz Truss speaks in the French manner — short phrases with the stress at the end, and a slight pause before continuing with the sentence. It might be true but we shall not hear from her again.
This discussion has been closed.