Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mordaunt didn’t have the numbers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Stocky said:

Robot Rishi could be a problem. That isn't who he is at all! The genuine warmth and ability to do human which I have seen first hand needs to be put in front of the cameras, not what he has just done.

Yes it was inadequate and a bit strange.
    I expect there'll be a longer speech in Downing Street tomorrow which he had better start practicing for.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

I live opposite the Natural History Museum (although I’m moving shortly). It’s the one they used for the Night of the Museum movies.

They’ve toppled the admittedly dodgy Teddy Roosevelt statue outside as it is no longer considered appropriate, so Teddy ain’t turning up there anymore either.

Superb collection of stuffed animals in dioramas, though. Totally worth a visit or two.

I must have missed that controversy, what's dodgy about Teddy Roosevelt?

I thought he was roundly, across the aisle, accepted as one of America's greatest Presidents? What's controversial that leads to status toppling?
    The statue had him on horseback, flanked by a grateful “negro” and “red indian”.
    On the horse thing, he made a point of being photographed riding horses, as a "man of the people" thing, but covered up the fact that he played golf cos that was posh abd elitist.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    Stocky said:

Robot Rishi could be a problem. That isn't who he is at all! The genuine warmth and ability to do human which I have seen first hand needs to be put in front of the cameras, not what he has just done.

Would it not be a bit rude to launch into a big speech before seeing Charles?
  • Options

Very disappointing from Sunak so far. Nothing much seems to have changed.
    At least Truss got on with it.

He is not even PM yet, and you want to have a go much like the news presenters who expect him to provide the lecturn speech he will give tomorrow in front of no 10 once he has met Charles

If anything else I hope we move into an era of grown up politics and media presentations, but will not hold my breath
    Oh, Big G. My comment was so obviously a joke. Of course Sunak hasn't done anything yet.
    So sorry if I misread your comment
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Rishi starts here
    Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 56% (-1)
    CON: 22% (=)
    LDM: 10% (+3)
    GRN: 4% (=)
    SNP: 4% (=)
    RFM: 3% (=)

Via @Omnisis, 21-22 Oct.
    Changes w/ 20 Oct.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Great! Promising Tory MPs low taxes combined with more spending, and growth through productivity combined with incentives to less-productive regions. Sorry, but Johnson can't take the blame for the cake eatery and havery.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775

Stocky said:

Would it not be a bit rude to launch into a big speech before seeing Charles?
    The rapid turnovers have made it far easier to slip up about new PMs without the ceremonials
  • Options

Rishi starts here

Via @Omnisis, 21-22 Oct.
    Changes w/ 20 Oct.

Broken, sleazy Labour on the slide!
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,053

Scott_xP said:

Extremely disappointing news that Penny Mordaunt has quit and that Rishi Sunak will be next Tory leader and Prime Minister. It's not what Conservative members want; nor what the country wants. We will have a globalist PM and the #MigrantCrisis and #IdentityCrisis will get worse. https://twitter.com/ruralconserv/status/1584536248642781185

An extreme pressure group with 1,350 followers founded and led by a former columnist for the Express, the Star and the Daily Post.

I’m disappointed in you Scotty. Surely you can do better than that?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vyj1C8ogtE
    Had a look at the website; didn't seem so there was anything posted recently. Or anything much! And what there was was up there with John Majors 'old maids cycling to evensong'.

In other news, personal news, I might not be around for a few days. Booked into hospital first thing tomorrow for a cervical decompression. Four vertebrae are involved and I won't be allowed out until I've got some mobility.

Play nicely while I'm away!
    Best of luck!
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    That was really weird. There’s a hint of Truss about Sunak. Oh dear oh dear.

https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1584565663175098368
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

I live opposite the Natural History Museum (although I’m moving shortly). It’s the one they used for the Night of the Museum movies.

They’ve toppled the admittedly dodgy Teddy Roosevelt statue outside as it is no longer considered appropriate, so Teddy ain’t turning up there anymore either.

Superb collection of stuffed animals in dioramas, though. Totally worth a visit or two.

It's great. One of the great museums of the world. But my favourite in that neck of the woods remains Ellis Island. The Americans have made a superb job of that.
  • Options

Rishi starts here

Via @Omnisis, 21-22 Oct.
    Changes w/ 20 Oct.

The only way is up........Riiiiishi, it's you and me babe
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Has rupa huq tweeted any congratulatory remarks about our new 'proper' PM yet.......?
  • Options

Rishi starts here

Via @Omnisis, 21-22 Oct.
    Changes w/ 20 Oct.

Broken, sleazy Labour on the slide!
    SKS fans please explain?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Enormous goodwill for Rishi Sunak coming out of the room. Charles Walker says: “If last Wed was a low point in politics, this was a high point.” MPs said he made a point of thanking and being gracious to all his predecessors (a marked contrast to Truss)

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1584541614118051840

Not so much with the Tory member vox poppers on 5live.
    The membership needs to go and join ReformUK or Farage while the party moves to the centre
    Twitter is absolutely chockablock with that kind of frustrated frothing. It remains to be seen how many are actually members, and how many follow through.
    See you survived your Night at the Museum. Did Teddy Roosevelt make an appearance?
    No, but we had a visitation from both Nefertiti and Akhenaten. (I thoroughly recommend it, BTW, if you have kids.)
    Did you get a visitation from George Osborne as well?
    Surely Andrea Leadsom, speaking as a mummy...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2022

Scott_xP said:

Extremely disappointing news that Penny Mordaunt has quit and that Rishi Sunak will be next Tory leader and Prime Minister. It's not what Conservative members want; nor what the country wants. We will have a globalist PM and the #MigrantCrisis and #IdentityCrisis will get worse. https://twitter.com/ruralconserv/status/1584536248642781185

An extreme pressure group with 1,350 followers founded and led by a former columnist for the Express, the Star and the Daily Post.

I’m disappointed in you Scotty. Surely you can do better than that?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vyj1C8ogtE
    A perfect enemy to cultivate. The fact that it's insignificant doesn't really matter. He needs to rile a few noisy right wing zealots to prove he's not just a vanilla economist.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited October 2022
    Interesting comments abound on European twitter that Varadkar was half-Irish. So Sunak is in fact indeed the first ethnic minority leader of any european country.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

Rishi starts here

Via @Omnisis, 21-22 Oct.
    Changes w/ 20 Oct.

Hopefully the rest of the lyrics aren't prescient:

But if we should be evicted
    From our homes
    We'll just move somewhere else
    And still carry on

Now we may not know
    Where our next meal is coming from
    But with you by my side
    I'll face what is to come
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

TOPPING said:

Is @Scott_xP voting Tory again yet?

Thing is, we (normal ex-Cons members) used up a lot of our relief once Boris left and Liz took over. Yes we knew she would be bad but quite how catastrophically bad how quickly took us a bit by surprise.

As a result we are cautious about Rishi. Our loving the fact that Boris is no longer there has been watered down somewhat and our goodwill in less abundant supply.

Let's see what Rishi does - he was a leaver for example but maybe he realises the damage that that did (or perhaps he didn't really believe it in the first place). Either way, we have yet to see his true colours.

Can't speak for Scott, obvs.

I would also say that it is fantastic having someone of Indian origin as PM of the UK. We should all take a moment to ponder that.
    He’s as Indian as Johnson is Turkish…
    Mrs DA says that Sunak's grandfather hails from what is now Pakistan. Said in the tone that most people normally reserve for describing Birmingham City fans.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

From underpants guy. Devastating.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    edited October 2022
    felix said:

Has Rupa Huq tweeted any congratulatory remarks about our new 'proper' PM yet.......?

"He doesn't sound Indian when I hear him on the radio!"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Could have waited until Wednesday so Truss was PM for 50 days.

Seven times seven is more apt. It is the number of sorcery after all.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Just had a “McPlant” for the first time.

Not impressed. If you’re tempted, I wouldn’t bother.

There is much better/tastier/healthier vegetarian/vegan food out there.

Not even worth the £1.39 I paid for it. Normal price nearer £4.

Processed shite.

Most 'plant based' stuff is heavily processed unhealthy shit. Its a massive con
    Thing I don't understand is why a vegetarian/vegan would want to eat fake meat when there's so much proper vegetarian/vegan food available.
    They might like the taste of meat but have moral issues with it.
    I think it works very for the mum, auntie, or gran struggling to move away from meat and two veg when feeding a younger relative and or friends.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Enormous goodwill for Rishi Sunak coming out of the room. Charles Walker says: “If last Wed was a low point in politics, this was a high point.” MPs said he made a point of thanking and being gracious to all his predecessors (a marked contrast to Truss)

The membership needs to go and join ReformUK or Farage while the party moves to the centre
    Twitter is absolutely chockablock with that kind of frustrated frothing. It remains to be seen how many are actually members, and how many follow through.
    See you survived your Night at the Museum. Did Teddy Roosevelt make an appearance?
    No, but we had a visitation from both Nefertiti and Akhenaten. (I thoroughly recommend it, BTW, if you have kids.)
    Probably not close enough to Halloween for that.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

I imagine KC3 is relieved. Tough trying to work out if Johnson had the confidence of the house.

House of Windsor? Doubtful!
  • Options

Rishi starts here

Via @Omnisis, 21-22 Oct.
    Changes w/ 20 Oct.

Hopefully the rest of the lyrics aren't prescient:

But if we should be evicted
    From our homes
    We'll just move somewhere else
    And still carry on

Now we may not know
    Where our next meal is coming from
    But with you by my side
    I'll face what is to come
    Eat nowt to help out
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,835
    edited October 2022
    Short and sweet . I really don’t care he gave a one minute statement , we don’t need half an hour of vacuous guff , he’s not Bozo.

Still I’ll give him a chance unless he puts the stain on humanity as HS.

• Options

Rabbit family update. FaceTime with dad and he has big broad smile on his face at long last. 😍

In the background, Daily Mail reading mother blames Gove for the mess of the last month 😁

Clearly your mother even though she reads the Daily Mail is a shrewd judge of politicians.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
    Just watched it, it was a little strange reading sincerity straight off the autocue. He'll need to work on that. Boris is a hard act to follow on the comms side of the job.
  • Options
    Sunak’s acceptance statement was wooden, generic and thus ominously reminiscent of Theresa May and Liz Truss. He will need more gusto than this to get party and country through the next months.

https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1584565692459732994/video/1
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    felix said:

Has rupa huq tweeted any congratulatory remarks about our new 'proper' PM yet.......?

Naughty!
  • Options
    Our tories seem to have made a late yet no less fervent conversion to the cause of identity politics today.

Look! He's Indian! These are our virtues and we must signal them!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
    Just watched it, it was a little strange reading sincerity straight off the autocue. He'll need to work on that. Boris is a hard act to follow on the comms side of the job.
    Seriously? Did you not see the Peppa Pig episode?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Thing is, we (normal ex-Cons members) used up a lot of our relief once Boris left and Liz took over. Yes we knew she would be bad but quite how catastrophically bad how quickly took us a bit by surprise.

As a result we are cautious about Rishi. Our loving the fact that Boris is no longer there has been watered down somewhat and our goodwill in less abundant supply.

Let's see what Rishi does - he was a leaver for example but maybe he realises the damage that that did (or perhaps he didn't really believe it in the first place). Either way, we have yet to see his true colours.

I would also say that it is fantastic having someone of Indian origin as PM of the UK. We should all take a moment to ponder that.
    Mrs DA says that Sunak's grandfather hails from what is now Pakistan. Said in the tone that most people normally reserve for describing Birmingham City fans.
    Tell Mrs DA Pakistan and India were once the same country.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787

Interesting comments abound on European twitter that Varadkar was half-Irish. So Sunak is in fact indeed the first ethnic minority leader of any european country.

Welsh don't count?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
    No one could do sincerity like Blair tbf.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Short and sweet . I really don’t care he gave a one minute statement , we don’t need half an hour of vacuous guff , he’s not Bozo.

We so need a liberally minded, independent thinker at the Home Office which has not quite recovered from Theresa May's baleful influence. I would love to see what someone like Gove could do with it.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Tell Mrs DA Pakistan and India were once the same country.
    I can't tell her anything.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Scott_xP said:

Sunak’s acceptance statement was wooden, generic and thus ominously reminiscent of Theresa May and Liz Truss. He will need more gusto than this to get party and country through the next months.

https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1584565692459732994/video/1

I have to say he was good earlier when taking questions from the press. Relaxed/jokey/clear.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
    No one could do sincerity like Blair tbf.
    Or absolute, irredeemable arsehole. He was a master of many guises
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico679 said:

How will Sunak please all wings of the party with only so many high profile jobs available .

If Hunt needs to stay as COE and Wallace at defence .

The FO I think should go to Mordaunt .

Those who should be fired with no job . Cleverly , Mogg and Zahawi are at the top of the list .

Cleverly might get a job. He has less of a track record of being a fool.

He needs a headbanger, but Braverman really shouldn't get a job after quitting/sacking so soon. Patel failed too, so needs another option.
    Wasn't Braverman sacked for doing something improper? Surely the change of leader doesn't lessen her impropriety so if she was sacked she should remain sacked
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,658

What about Benjamin Disraeli?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
    I did. It was mad, but it wasn't boring.

Sunak set a similar tone to the voice on the tannoy that comes on after a concert telling you the party's over and it's time for everyone to go home. Maybe that is what he intended. :-)
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Our tories seem to have made a late yet no less fervent conversion to the cause of identity politics today.

Yea, it is easy to say that, but Labour does have a bit of diversity problem seeing as all their leaders throughout their history have been white middle-aged men.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Probably not close enough to Halloween for that.
    Witch is a ludicrous remark when all the shops are filled with pumpkins.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Scott_xP said:

UPG has seriously impressed me over the last couple of years, as a commentator and on the FASC.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited October 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Likely to have had more Italian ancestors than anything else, and at the more unusual minimum at least half, if DNA studies of similar European jews are to be believed.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Dura_Ace said:

Yea, it is easy to say that, but Labour does have a bit of diversity problem seeing as all their leaders throughout their history have been white middle-aged men.
    It's the thought that counts though...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Welsh don't count?
    We're a nationality not an ethnic group! Most of us are Caucasian although not by any means all.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

nico679 said:

We so need a liberally minded, independent thinker at the Home Office which has not quite recovered from Theresa May's baleful influence. I would love to see what someone like Gove could do with it.
    I can't think of any liberally minded, independent thinkers at the Home Office any time I've been following politics.

Straw and Blunkett etc were major authoritarians in the job too.

Who was the last liberally minded Home Secretary do you think?
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Middle aged is a generous description of Foot and Corbyn
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
    Or even worse, Kermit the Frog.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment

Sunak set a similar tone to the voice on the tannoy that comes on after a concert telling you the party's over and it's time for everyone to go home. Maybe that is what he intended. :-)
    I am quite happy with sensible and boring for politicians. If I want to see a clown I'll go to a circus.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The Moors of Spain might also have something to say on this. As would the Sultans of the Ottoman Empire.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,542
    Driver said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're missing the point, it's taking the piss out of Labour's obsession with identity politics and, in particular, its relative failure to deliver.
    The obsession with identity politics on this forum seems to come almost exclusively from the right, not the left.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_xP said:

UPG has seriously impressed me over the last couple of years, as a commentator and on the FASC.
    Yes, he has matured with age and opposition.

Striking to think just how big a cock he was when Labour were in government.

And I'm not referring to *that* photo!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Dura_Ace said:

You have to deal with those who are available. These are arguments based on tiny numbers. If, when Labour get into power, they choose to appoint (say) Diane Abbott to high office simply for diversity reasons then it'll be a mistake.

(They have to appoint her as their greatest light!)
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment

I am quite happy with sensible and boring for politicians. If I want to see a clown I'll go to a circus.
    I think you can kill two birds with one stone......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hRwnXmdRCo
  • Options

DavidL said:

nico679 said:

I can't think of any liberally minded, independent thinkers at the Home Office any time I've been following politics.

Possibly Alan Johnson, although he wasn't there particularly long. The greatest of all, of course, was Roy Jenkins who changed this country so much for the better.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Welsh don't count?
    We're a nationality not an ethnic group! Most of us are Caucasian although not by any means all.
    IIRC LlG was a native Brythonic speaker for his mother tongue as opposed to the assorted lot acrtoss the border. Anyway if that isn't enough these days then fair enough.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment

Quite right on clowns, but national leaders can't afford to be completely boring if they want people to follow them.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

nico679 said:

Possibly Alan Johnson, although he wasn't there particularly long. The greatest of all, of course, was Roy Jenkins who changed this country so much for the better.
    Whitelaw as well?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Anyone who has ever visited Stockholm will likely have seen the amazing Vasa warship, built 1626-28. An astonishing sight.

Well, marine archaeologists have just found her sister ship: Äpplet (’The Apple’). What are the chances?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2022
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment

Quite right on clowns, but national leaders can't afford to be completely boring if they want people to follow them.
    Starmer will be giving it a jolly good go from 2024.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Dura_Ace said:

You have to deal with those who are available. These are arguments based on tiny numbers. If, when Labour get into power, they choose to appoint (say) Diane Abbott to high office simply for diversity reasons then it'll be a mistake.

(They have to appoint her as their greatest light!)
    I don't disagree, and Starmer was their best person by a long way, but it must still get under their collective skins a bit that they can't seem to manage to put forward an intelligent electable person who is not white and male. That said I think Rachel Reeves could be a reasonable potential leader for them
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    Scott_xP said:

An unsympathetic critique from Captain Underpants? I'm shocked I tell you, shocked!
  • Options

Anyone who has ever visited Stockholm will likely have seen the amazing Vasa warship, built 1626-28. An astonishing sight.

Well, marine archaeologists have just found her sister ship: Äpplet (’The Apple’). What are the chances?

Well, if they were looking for her and knew roughly where she was, quite high I would have thought.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    More high level calls between Russia and Western officials:

@DefenceHQ
    A statement on the Chief of the Defence Staff’s call with the Russian Chief of the General Staff, General of the Army Valery Vasilyevich Gerasimov

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1584560170323017728

• Options

DavidL said:

nico679 said:

Jenkins?
  • Options
    "It's a continuation of the problems that the Conservatives have faced."

Labour deputy leader Angela Rayner reacts to Rishi Sunak being selected as the next Tory party leader and PM.

Latest here: http://trib.al/UvZomA7

📺 Sky 501, Virgin 602, Freeview 233 and YouTube https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1584571076960403456/video/1
  • Options

Good grief - pretty substantial too judging from the photos on the Swedish media.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_xP said:

When he comments on matters of substance he can be insightful & informative. When he's in the playground, not.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

nico679 said:

Whitelaw as well?
    Yes, he definitely gets a pass mark. Not many though. It is an incredibly difficult department to run and prone to producing far more than the average level of cockups.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
    Or even worse, Kermit the Frog.
    My favourite of all was the attempt to game Google by doing that interview where he said he makes model buses.

It is a delight that page 1 of Google results today nails him for the lie about introducing bus passes, implicates him in the £250m Brexit bus slogan, *and* ridicules him for his "bizarre" model bus building claim, if you plumb in 'Boris Johnson bus'.

Master communicator.
  • Options

I must have missed that controversy, what's dodgy about Teddy Roosevelt?

I thought he was roundly, across the aisle, accepted as one of America's greatest Presidents? What's controversial that leads to status toppling?
    The statue had him on horseback, flanked by a grateful “negro” and “red indian”.
    Theodore Roosevelt was VERY big on White Man's Burden and pro-imperialism, whether by US or UK.

Brownsville Affair also relevant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownsville_affair#:~:text=The Brownsville affair, or the,stationed at nearby Fort Brown.

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imperial_Cruise

Personally oppose iconoclasm. But zero surprise Teddy was target when toppling statues became all the rage.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

nico679 said:

Whitelaw as well?
    Yes, he definitely gets a pass mark. Not many though. It is an incredibly difficult department to run and prone to producing far more than the average level of cockups.
    Clarke was Home Secretary as well of course for a time - just over a year.

Edit - and of course he initiated many changes at Justice in 2010 with the intent of liberalising the system.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment

Clement Attlee was pretty dull by all accounts. I believe Churchill described him as a humble man with much to be humble about
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

Thing I don't understand is why a vegetarian/vegan would want to eat fake meat when there's so much proper vegetarian/vegan food available.
    Right, but fake meat doesn't taste like meat.
    How would you know if you're a vegetarian ? :smile:

The Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers are surprisingly edible, and quite cheap.
    I occasionally join the vegetarians in my family in eating them.
    Ditto the sausages, which I actually prefer when ordering cooked breakfasts, as most greasy spoon sausages are crap.
    My understanding is that Beyond sausages contain almost exactly the same amount of meat as Tesco values ones.
    Do they come in horse flavour? :wink:
  • Options
    Oh for goodness sake, get on with it!

Liz Truss has told colleagues she would like to hold one last cabinet on Tuesday morning. Rishi Sunak's supporters say he favours an orderly transfer of power. No 10 "can't be definitive" about who will do PMQs on Weds

https://twitter.com/GeorgeWParker/status/1584567597231591424
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

nico679 said:

The Binyam Mohammed affair/MI5 stuff says no for me
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

The Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers are surprisingly edible, and quite cheap.
    Ditto the sausages, which I actually prefer when ordering cooked breakfasts, as most greasy spoon sausages are crap.
    My understanding is that Beyond sausages contain almost exactly the same amount of meat as Tesco values ones.
    Do they come in horse flavour? :wink:
    Neigh, surely not
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
    Also just watched. I guess he wanted carefully chosen words, but for something that short it would have been better to either do it off the cuff/from the heart or at least read the autocue in a way that made it look like it was.

Still, if the worst that we can say is that he's a bit wooden, he's not doing too badly. No spooking of the markets or breaking of his own laws just yet :smile:

'Wooden' when you're up against Starmer is not that big a problem anyway, to be fair.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

Tesco Value, of course, hasn't existed for years.

The cheapest Tesco pork sausages are 53% pork.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    Rishi's acceptance speech was really quite wooden. I wish him well, but he's not the greatest telly, to put it mildly.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak totally blanks Matt Hancock. [VIDEO]

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1584555852094005248
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment

Clement Attlee was pretty dull by all accounts. I believe Churchill described him as a humble man with much to be humble about
    Churchill was always rather indignant about that, because he didn't. In fact, he rated Attlee highly for all he could make silly remarks about Gestapos.

I think it was Duff Cooper who said however 'an empty taxi drew up and Clement Attlee got out.'
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2022
    Selebian said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
    Also just watched. I guess he wanted carefully chosen words, but for something that short it would have been better to either do it off the cuff/from the heart or at least read the autocue in a way that made it look like it was.

Still, if the worst that we can say is that he's a bit wooden, he's not doing too badly. No spooking of the markets or breaking of his own laws just yet :smile:

'Wooden' when you're up against Starmer is not that big a problem anyway, to be fair.
    Also unlike Truss, Sunak has done loads of interviews over the past few years and he usually comes off somewhere between fine and well. However, obviously its much easier when you are giving sweeties out rather than taking them away. Rishi problems have normally come when he has tried to go out into the real world and do a photo-op, which is quite different to doing the Westminster interviews and as PM something you do a lot less (other than obvious Boris who just did hi-viz vest and no actual work).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

TOPPING said:

Can you employ some of that renowned Wykehamist intellect to let us know what exactly an Indian is supposed to be in your view.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

Imagine. Scientists spend years carefully replicating the texture and taste of real, prime meat and the product bombs because it tastes nothing like a 'real' sausage.
  • Options
    Driver said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

Tesco Value, of course, hasn't existed for years.

The cheapest Tesco pork sausages are 53% pork.
    So @rcs1000 is right about the meat content?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

nico679 said:

Whitelaw as well?
    Clarke was Home Secretary as well of course for a time - just over a year.

Edit - and of course he initiated many changes at Justice in 2010 with the intent of liberalising the system.
    Clarke was worse than Blunkett. IDcards, restrictive on trial by jury stuff etc
    Jacqui Smith with 42 day detention...
    Labour had some right nutters
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Daughter loves the model of the giant squid in the out-of-the-way anteroom (which is also conveniently located for the cafe that is usually empty because no-one knows it is there.)
    Haven’t discovered that yet!
    Are we discussing the same museum? I was thinking the American Museum of Natural History in NY but the squid reminds me of the NHM in South Ken.
    I googled it, apparently the AMNH does indeed have a giant squid, fished up in NZ waters of all places…
    So it does, and also a life reconstruction model (squids being rather squishy and needing lots of pickling liquid).

Sometimes, talking at cross purposes unearths interesting details!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous comment
    The more the contrast between Rishi and de Pfeffel, the better for the former. And NOT just for Sunak.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Processed shite.

Imagine. Scientists spend years carefully replicating the texture and taste of real, prime meat and the product bombs because it tastes nothing like a 'real' sausage.
    And yet quite unintelligent animals produce real, prime meat with no effort at all.
This discussion has been closed.