Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

After sacking her Chancellor the money goes on a 2022 Truss exit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Taz said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Apparently Kwasi Kwarteng had trouble getting a seat on the plane cos nobody wanted him anywhere near business or economy

https://twitter.com/_iPed/status/1580888729807646720

Very believable from a Twitter feed with less than a thousand followers. Must be true.
    Think that one went over your head...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited October 2022

If Truss goes I’m not sure a successor will pull Hunt out of the Treasury (unless he is the successor). 5 chancellors in a year would be beyond ridiculous. Does create a slight hiccup in the idea of the Rishi/Penny dream team.

I thought the proposal was that if Sunak was PM, Penny would be Foreign Sec.

Presumably reflecting the fact she doesn't have the skills for CoE.

But if Penny was PM, Sunak would obviously be CoE.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,330

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1580902437988495369

@Nigel_Farage
    Remainer Jeremy Hunt is the new Chancellor, joining forces with our Remainer PM.

This Conservative party has no authority, no decency and has failed our country.

Brexit is not complete, open border immigration continues and lies are told at every election. The Conservative party needs replacing.

A new proportional voting system will kill @Conservatives off, and after 12 years of Tory misrule — they deserve it.

That smacks of Nigey-Brexit-remorse to me!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,062
    edited October 2022
    IanB2 said:

Afternoon all!
    Myself and my wife have been wandering around Ipswich hospital all day, plus of course the hours drive to and from.
    Gather there's some big news!
    As the guy driving us home, taxi driver called Mohammed, said this country seems in a dreadful mess!

You should have asked whether he was from Albania before you got in!
    He said he was Ipswich born and bred. He spoke better English though, then I would expect from a resident of Suffolk.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Watching that press conference and I've come to a profound realisation.

Gordon Brown is no longer the worst PM of my lifetime.

Steady.
    Has she sold our gold at the bottom of the market?
    Has she set up a financial regulatory system which was positively designed to have no one at the wheel when things went wrong?
    Has she had the first runs on UK banks since the 19th century?
    Has she set her party and the country up to have a GE and then run away from it?
    Has she hung on in Downing Street having clearly lost her majority (ok, that one might be arguable)?

Given time, maybe but she has barely started.
    It took Gordon Brown thirteen years and the crash of Lehmman Bros 3,500 miles across the Atlantic to realise your accusations, some of which are disputable.

Truss/Kwarteng had barely been in fully functioning (after the late Monarch's departure) office for thirteen hours before they had a) a run on the pound b) crashed the gilts market c) raised mortgage rates to a 25 year high d) achieved a 30 point Labour polling lead and e) returned the mantle of "the Nasty Party" to the Conservatives after decades of detoxification.
    Truss might interestingly be the shortest PM ever, but she does have a fairly unusual distinction of also being one of the few PMs (certainly post war) to serve two monarchs.

That'll be an interesting trivia question a few decades from now.

On topic, although I didn't want Truss, it was not for me to decide (not being a Conservative member).
    I think however, the idea that the members can and should be excluded from the vote going forward is a really really bad idea.
    What is the point of being a Conservative party member therefore?

The rules should probably be different, perhaps the idea that MPs put themselves forward (with a base level of support) who are then voted on by the members with the (say) top three going to MP ballot, but to exclude them completely isn't going to sit well with members, or anyone who respects democracy.

Of course, the better option would be to force a new PM to call a GE within X months of taking office, to confirm the party's choice by the voters (or otherwise, as the case may be). Still think Truss should've done that, but too late now.
    What was the point of being a party member before they were able to vote for party leader? It wasn't that long ago.

Delivering leaflets gets you out of the house, and moving more?
    Evenings out with likeminded people? No nasty Trots/sandal-wearing bleaters/folk to the far right of G. Khan (delete as required) to spoil the conversation.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,180
    "It was inevitable that the chancellor had to go - what the Prime Minister failed to do was to explain why she had to stay."

Sir Malcolm Rifkind tells Sky News he 'doesn't know' if Liz Truss can survive as PM.

Live politics updates: https://trib.al/ecixuwi

📺 Sky 501 / YouTube https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1580947581261127682/video/1
  • Options

Jeremy Hunt is now the de facto prime minister

The new chancellor will be running the show, and Truss will be a sort of ‘PRINO’ – prime minister in name only

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-hunt-chancellor-liz-truss-new-prime-minister-b2202928.html

Similar to the Cheney-W administration in USA.

EXCEPT that nobody expects the Hunt-Truss "administration" to last 8 years. Eight weeks maybe?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Truss 2022 exit drifting back out towards Evens.

Are Con MPs insane?

Get on with it.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Come on @Heathener you say you have the post. In front of you. So just cut and paste. Takes seconds. And link, please.

Surprised to see you so animated about being accused of saying something a bit silly.
    I’m travelling around the world for free. Again. Always makes me feisty

But, really, PB-era can’t go around accusing others of lying and saying “I have the proof right here” and then not actually provide the proof

We have PB standards and it has always been up to me, in the end, to uphold them

@heathener says she has the exact quote I made, unironically calling liz truss the “Tory saviour, a diamond in the rough” and much else. So all she has to is paste it and link it
    Why does she have to? Fuck all will happen if she doesn't.
    No, it's the only way to shut him up.
    Could have taken up the best part of the next half dozen threads otherwise.
    Leon is Heathener ffs. The whole thing is just him having a bizarre onanistic chat with himself. It's obviously a boring flight.
    This keeps coming up - there is no way that Leon is Heathener.
    There bloody is way, he as good as admitted it before her last long absence.
    Like I say, he hints/admits it because it flatters to be thought of as being capable of pulling that off.

It's a No. Trust me.
    I thought Leon was simply SeanT (and a few others).
    I know he brought both in on the day of the Queen's funeral. Didn't he get into a fight with himself on that day?
    Before my PB time that "SeanT". One for the real veterans.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

IanB2 said:

Afternoon all!
    Myself and my wife have been wandering around Ipswich hospital all day, plus of course the hours drive to and from.
    As the guy driving us home, taxi driver called Mohammed, said this country seems in a dreadful mess!

You should have asked whether he was from Albania before you got in!
    He said he was Suffolk born and bred. He spoke better English though, then I would expect the resident of Suffolk.
    Mm, obviously been through the EFL course to get the operator's licence.

And more seriously I hope the hospital trip was/will be propitious. Edit: ignore the query, just seen your post, but not the sentiment!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,302
    edited October 2022
    Ishmael_Z said:

Taz said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Apparently Kwasi Kwarteng had trouble getting a seat on the plane cos nobody wanted him anywhere near business or economy

Very believable from a Twitter feed with less than a thousand followers. Must be true.
    I keep thinking I have figured out how intelligent you actually are.
    😂😂😂😂😂

Banned drunken obnoxious bore returns after ban for being a drunken obnoxious bore. You’d think it would learn some humility but it behaves as it behaved before

Now enough prodding this useless moron. Back to ignoring.

No one gives a shit about you, a sad lonely old loser living their life, vicariously, through a web group. If I was banned from a group I wouldn’t grovel to get back. But then I’ve never been banned

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Nigel_Farage
    Remainer Jeremy Hunt is the new Chancellor, joining forces with our Remainer PM.

This Conservative party has no authority, no decency and has failed our country.

Brexit is not complete, open border immigration continues and lies are told at every election. The Conservative party needs replacing.

A new proportional voting system will kill @Conservatives off, and after 12 years of Tory misrule — they deserve it.

It's amazing how people suddenly find moral reasons for changes that benefit them.
    Not really. Farage has been in favour of PR for at least the last two decades. I think he is wrong but in this case he has been consistent.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,394
    Ishmael_Z said:

And nobody thought he was first class?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,631

Driver said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You have to hand it to the ERG, they backed a Remainer, Truss over a Leaver, Sunak and ignored those who wanted to back Leaver Badenoch.

They now have a Remainer as PM and Remainer Hunt as Chancellor, Boris' opponent from 2019 of course and a staunch May loyalist.

One can't help but laugh at Mark Francois who is responsible for this!

There is only one person responsible and that is your toxic hero Johnson
    No. Boris won the Tories this majority and ERG backers like Baker turning on him and Francois then ordering the ERG to back Truss has meant they have now seen a Leaver PM and Leaver Chancellor in Boris and Sunak replaced by Remainer Truss as PM and Remainer Hunt as Chancellor.

This now looks more like it could be more like the old May government than the Boris government
    Boris toxic and irresponsible behaviour led us to today

And by the way you voted remain
    No, the likes of you forcing him out over partygate led to today and a bigger Starmer lead than ever there was under Boris.

Yes I did vote Remain and will remain loyal to this government (as I was to the May government) and Hunt is a serious figure for the Treasury and a proper Tory but I also respected the Leave vote and it was only Boris who delivered Brexit
    I didn’t force him out

Boris behaviour became so toxic he was unacceptable to the vast majority of ordinary people
    HYUFD is like a babysitting agency which sends you a heroin-addicted thief whom you reject, so they send you a convicted paedophile instead. When you complain about the paedophile they say Well, you should've stuck with the thief.
    Colourful but correct.

Boris remains unsuitable, and in a personal level not policy which is most remarkable. You have to be really sleazy for MPs to not look the other way.
    This all starts with Boris. He is the one that has triggered the destruction of this Government with his dishonesty, corruption, damage to the constitution and gutting of many of the sensible Conservatives from the party.

One could argue it goes back to Cameron re the Referendum, but I think that is unfair. He probably had little choice and although Brexit was a near impossible task it could have been done much better and without all the subsequent Boris stuff that was not Brexit related.

As far as I am concerned this all lays at Boris's door. Truss is simply an inevitable corollary of it all.
    The economic problems have two major proximate causes - Russia's invasion of Ukraine (the Tory response being supported by all parties) and lockdown (the Tory response being opposed by all parties only for not being big enough).
    That is fair until the point we arrive at the OBS- free- mini-non-budget-economic-statement. That was a fiasco entirely of Kwarteng's making. It exacebated an already dangerous situation, and has continued so to do.
    Your economic “dangerous situation” not even a bit bigged up by you following the over the top media coverage of it, in your opinion?

In my opinion, if the polls had hardly moved, hardly dropped, little political pressure on Truss from her own party, Kwarteng would still be there. Tell me I’m wrong.

It’s the poll movement driving this, the public alienation from the bad politics of the mini budget, not a economic volcano to be appeased.

The real pressure on UK from the markets has not even begun yet.
    My understanding of economics is from A levels, long, long ago. So long ago that @BartholomewRoberts has explained to me that supply no longer affects demand, and vice-versa, and increasing the money supply is no longer the inflationary hard and fast rule it once was. I will concede to his greater understanding, and likewise yourself. Like the bank of England, I panicked when the cost of gilts went through the roof, and despite their earlier attempts at selling Government Bonds to counter inflation the BoE had to buy, buy, buy, and in order to avert an unprecedented pensions crisis. I am relieved to learn that my foolhardy knee-jerk fear was an error shared with both the BoE and the ratings agencies.

Nonetheless I concurr with your notion that "the real pressure on the UK from the markets has not even begun yet".
    Well done for the concession, but marks off for quoting from Pirate by Saint Bart Roberts as a reliable text book on economics. In future you must try harder.

If you thought this was a dangerous situation, wait till the markets go after our and germanys energy bail outs.
  • Options

This looks very significant, if it's an accurate portrayal of the situation:

Jordan Schneider @jordanschnyc

Every American executive and engineer working in China’s semiconductor manufacturing industry resigned yesterday, paralyzing Chinese manufacturing overnight.

One round of sanctions from Biden did more damage than all four years of performative sanctioning under Trump.

https://twitter.com/jordanschnyc/status/1580889343417233409

The whole thread is worth reading.

Trump and his "Republican" fellow grifters are big-time bull-shit artists, as demonstrated by their strictly rhetorical opposition to their fellow Putinists in Beijing.
    If you label everyone you don't like a "Putinist", it loses any analytical value.
    Kindly stop attributing YOUR thought to my head. Seeing has how you are NOT a mind reader.

Your constant "rebuttal" to arguments you do NOT like, is to claim the arguer is deluded, dumb or dishonest.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Merton College, Oxford still to note the promotion of Elizabeth Truss to Leader of The Conservative Party and Prime Minister from September 7th 2022.

https://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/rt-hon-elizabeth-truss-mp-1993
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,921
    Scott_xP said:

Omnisis also asks: If tomorrow there were another referendum on EU membership, how do you think you would vote?
    Stay out of the EU 35%
    Rejoin the EU 51%
    Would not vote 7%
    Don’t know 7%

Excl WNV/DK: If tomorrow there were another referendum on EU membership, how do you think you would vote?
    Stay out of the EU 40%
    Rejoin the EU 60%

As I said earlier looks like the Brexiteer politicians are gradually trashing their own project.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    edited October 2022

rcs1000 said:

@Nigel_Farage

It's amazing how people suddenly find moral reasons for changes that benefit them.
    Not really. Farage has been in favour of PR for at least the last two decades. I think he is wrong but in this case he has been consistent.
    No surprise, as with 12% of the vote in 2015 UKIP would have got almost 80 MPs elected with PR compared to the one MP they got under FPTP
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Taz said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Taz said:

Ishmael_Z said:

😂😂😂😂😂

Banned drunken obnoxious bore returns after ban for being a drunken obnoxious bore. You’d think it would learn some humility but it behaves as it behaved before

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡
    Liz Truss no longer the most public self-humiliation of the day.

That really was a belly flop for the ages. You should deploy your sockpuppets on occasions like these.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,673
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You have to hand it to the ERG, they backed a Remainer, Truss over a Leaver, Sunak and ignored those who wanted to back Leaver Badenoch.

They now have a Remainer as PM and Remainer Hunt as Chancellor, Boris' opponent from 2019 of course and a staunch May loyalist.

No. Boris won the Tories this majority and ERG backers like Baker turning on him and Francois then ordering the ERG to back Truss has meant they have now seen a Leaver PM and Leaver Chancellor in Boris and Sunak replaced by Remainer Truss as PM and Remainer Hunt as Chancellor.

This now looks more like it could be more like the old May government than the Boris government

No, the likes of you forcing him out over partygate led to today and a bigger Starmer lead than ever there was under Boris.

Yes I did vote Remain and will remain loyal to this government (as I was to the May government) and Hunt is a serious figure for the Treasury and a proper Tory but I also respected the Leave vote and it was only Boris who delivered Brexit
    I didn’t force him out

Boris behaviour became so toxic he was unacceptable to the vast majority of ordinary people
    HYUFD is like a babysitting agency which sends you a heroin-addicted thief whom you reject, so they send you a convicted paedophile instead. When you complain about the paedophile they say Well, you should've stuck with the thief.
    Colourful but correct.

Boris remains unsuitable, and in a personal level not policy which is most remarkable. You have to be really sleazy for MPs to not look the other way.
    This all starts with Boris. He is the one that has triggered the destruction of this Government with his dishonesty, corruption, damage to the constitution and gutting of many of the sensible Conservatives from the party.

One could argue it goes back to Cameron re the Referendum, but I think that is unfair. He probably had little choice and although Brexit was a near impossible task it could have been done much better and without all the subsequent Boris stuff that was not Brexit related.

As far as I am concerned this all lays at Boris's door. Truss is simply an inevitable corollary of it all.
    No, Boris was the one who delivered Brexit and with a trade deal and crushed your party and Labour in
    2019. Boris also delivered the vaccines and furlough with Sunak and had a broader cabinet than Truss' was.

The mistake was getting rid of Boris
    Why are you defending somebody put a known groper in a senior position then lied about it?

Do you even possess a moral compass?
    Why should Tories care less what a LD voter like you thinks?...
    Since you're down to about 20% of voters, perhaps you should be less picky ?
    He still voted LD in 2019 when Boris won 43%
    Politicians are supposed to court the electorate, not hold grudges against it.
    I'm giggling at my imagined vision of hyufd reaction while canvassing and being told by a voter that they were voting anything other than Conservative.

We did have a LD whom we reckoned lost us more votes the more he canvased and had to diplomatically move him away from canvassing duties.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Taz said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Taz said:

Ishmael_Z said:

😂😂😂😂😂

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡
    Liz Truss no longer the most public self-humiliation of the day.

That really was a belly flop for the ages. You should deploy your sockpuppets on occasions like these.
    ‘Sockpuppets’ 😂😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    Nigelb said:

Right, I've just got back from the school run.
    Anyone else resigned/sacked yet?
    Who is the CoE?

You're It.
    New joke after last night’s match - What lasts longer, a CoE or a Hearts defender? We’ve lost 3 in a row recently so the government has a bit of catch-up to do .
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

No, Boris was the one who delivered Brexit and with a trade deal and crushed your party and Labour in
    2019. Boris also delivered the vaccines and furlough with Sunak and had a broader cabinet than Truss' was.

Why are you defending somebody put a known groper in a senior position then lied about it?

Knock knock…

“Good evening Mr(/s) voter, my name is HY and I’m sorry because I know it’s raining and I see that you are just having your dinner, but I’m calling round on behalf of Toby Jug, your Conservative candidate in the forthcoming election. I hope Mr Jug can count on your support”?

“Absolutely, I read Mr Jug’s leaflet and I think he sounds just the man for the job!”

“Well, that sounds potentially most promising, but before I put you down as a definite I do need to ask how you voted in the 2019 election, when my hero Boris was at 43% in the polls? If you cannot give me a satisfactory answer I cannot reward you with even a ‘probable’ marking, since we really don’t want support from people like that! As I’m in a good mood and I did interrupt your dinner, I could put you down as undecided, but really, if you have secret LibDem tendencies maybe you should think about voting for them? Here’s a copy of their candidate’s leaflet which by remarkable coincidence I have just found littering the area by sticking out of your neighbour’s letter box”.
    TSE said he would never vote Tory again weeks ago, as he hasn't since 2015
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

A senior Tory gets in touch:

“That performance was so wooden. Getting rid of her wouldn’t be regicide, it would be deforestation.”

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1580949286044323840

I’ve hit the like button, but I don’t see why you should get these likes when it’s someone else’s funny joke.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

@Nigel_Farage

We really do need to move beyond this ridiculous leaver / remainer rubbish. I really couldn’t give a shit anymore considering on where its led us to
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    Fulsome...

Simon Clarke MP
    @SimonClarkeMP

The Prime Minister has my support.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    a

Scott_xP said:

“That performance was so wooden. Getting rid of her wouldn’t be regicide, it would be deforestation.”

I’ve hit the like button, but I don’t see why you should get these likes when it’s someone else’s funny joke.
    Why shouldn’t he get the,like as he bothered to share it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,394
    Scott_xP said:

You swallow an Amazon?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    Looks like Covid boosters now available for all over-50s. Just booked for me and Wor Lass.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

I'm giggling at my imagined vision of hyufd reaction while canvassing and being told by a voter that they were voting anything other than Conservative.

We did have a LD whom we reckoned lost us more votes the more he canvased and had to diplomatically move him away from canvassing duties.
    Voting Plaid Cymru would be allowed, though!
  • Options
    The lamades are a remarkably gifted race who have 9 opposable digits.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

I know we will never agree on this and I was going to respond but I can see it isn't necessary because of all the many excellent responses already, but I am baffled as to why someone like you, a Christian, can support someone with so few morals. I also can't see how you can't see that he started all this off. He created a long trail of corruption, deception and lies that is destroying the Conservative party. Liz Truss is there because of him. He would not have been removed if he had been honest. Why do you think the Conservative MPs removed him? It wasn't the LDs or Labour party that did it.
    He ate a piece of cake at a birthday cake and liked women.

As Truss is a former adulteress herself but unlike Boris also pushed a budget that favoured the rich more than the poor and average earners if anything Boris was more Christian than Truss if that was the key criteria. However I do not hold the PM to the same standards of morality as the Archbishop of Canterbury or the Pope who actually are supposed to represent Christianity in the UK
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Steady.
    Has she set up a financial regulatory system which was positively designed to have no one at the wheel when things went wrong?
    Has she set her party and the country up to have a GE and then run away from it?
    Has she hung on in Downing Street having clearly lost her majority (ok, that one might be arguable)?

It took Gordon Brown thirteen years and the crash of Lehmman Bros 3,500 miles across the Atlantic to realise your accusations, some of which are disputable.

Truss/Kwarteng had barely been in fully functioning (after the late Monarch's departure) office for thirteen hours before they had a) a run on the pound b) crashed the gilts market c) raised mortgage rates to a 25 year high d) achieved a 30 point Labour polling lead and e) returned the mantle of "the Nasty Party" to the Conservatives after decades of detoxification.
    Truss might interestingly be the shortest PM ever, but she does have a fairly unusual distinction of also being one of the few PMs (certainly post war) to serve two monarchs.

On topic, although I didn't want Truss, it was not for me to decide (not being a Conservative member).
    I think however, the idea that the members can and should be excluded from the vote going forward is a really really bad idea.

The rules should probably be different, perhaps the idea that MPs put themselves forward (with a base level of support) who are then voted on by the members with the (say) top three going to MP ballot, but to exclude them completely isn't going to sit well with members, or anyone who respects democracy.

Of course, the better option would be to force a new PM to call a GE within X months of taking office, to confirm the party's choice by the voters (or otherwise, as the case may be). Still think Truss should've done that, but too late now.
    What was the point of being a party member before they were able to vote for party leader? It wasn't that long ago.

Delivering leaflets gets you out of the house, and moving more?
    I think you had a say in choosing your candidate. Who then had a say in choosing the party leader.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,806

Nigelb said:
    Why was it landing downwind?
    Hah! I was right.

The wind had flipped from 03 (NNE) at 14:00 to variable at 15:00, 240 (SW) at 16:00, same at 17:00. The aircraft landed on 07 (ENE) at 16:24. so with a tailwind. Which can't have helped tbh. (All times Zulu/UTC).

https://avherald.com/h?article=4f719c2d

Having (re-)proved my armchair air accident investigator credentials, I return shortly to political punditry and economic guru-ism.

Anyone still there?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

This looks very significant, if it's an accurate portrayal of the situation:

Jordan Schneider @jordanschnyc

Every American executive and engineer working in China’s semiconductor manufacturing industry resigned yesterday, paralyzing Chinese manufacturing overnight.

One round of sanctions from Biden did more damage than all four years of performative sanctioning under Trump.

https://twitter.com/jordanschnyc/status/1580889343417233409

The whole thread is worth reading.

Trump and his "Republican" fellow grifters are big-time bull-shit artists, as demonstrated by their strictly rhetorical opposition to their fellow Putinists in Beijing.
    If you label everyone you don't like a "Putinist", it loses any analytical value.
    Kindly stop attributing YOUR thought to my head. Seeing has how you are NOT a mind reader.

Your constant "rebuttal" to arguments you do NOT like, is to claim the arguer is deluded, dumb or dishonest.
    I don't claim to read your mind, only what you write. If you don't think you use the slur "Putinist" rather indiscriminately, you might be shocked by the result of an audit of your posts.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

You're persistently pretending to act like 2022 Boris was the same as 2019 Boris.

The very fact they were able to oust him shows his unsuitability - someone who won as big as he did should never have been vulnerable so soon, he should have been untouchable.

That he was removed shows just how sleazy and incompetent a figure he was - yes he was hated by opponents, but he threw away his own support.
    The Labour lead over the Tories has doubled since Boris was removed and the economy crashed.

It was always you and the liberal left
    who wanted Boris out as you feared him, the Tory parliamentary party was stupid enough to listen you over a case of after work drinks and a birthday cake. Pathetic!!!!
    We wanted him out because he was a lying shit, totally unfit for office and an embarrassment for the country.

The fact that your party is stupid enough to replace him with Truss is not the fault of the Labour Party.
    You wanted him out because he won the biggest Tory victory over you since Thatcher. No other alternative Conservative leader threatened the liberal left like Boris did
    Speaking as a valued member of the liberal left, we certainly found Boris a difficult and slippery opponent, with appeal to quite a lot of the white w/c on top of traditional Tories.

However, he had to go because he was a moral vacuum who simply couldn't stop lying and dissembling even after he'd received dozens of yellow cards. In the end Tory MPs and the public gave him the red card, not us lot.
    Might want to try Crippen. If he proves popular with the voters that should be ok. Although having been hanged might prove an impediment.
  • Options

One thing Hunt has been very very consistent on is the strong support for high speed rail, often referring to his experiences on the bullet trains in Japan and how desirable it would be to have a similar service in this country.

Wonder if he lasts long enough to have any influence whatsoever if he'll work to re-instate some of the cuts to NPR and HS2 ?

In fairness, Truss has herself been making some noises of this sort. NPR through Bradford is back in the table, for one thing.
  • Options
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,248
    Nigelb said:

Ed clearly believes in revenge as a dish served cold.
    https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband/status/1580931307185401856

Have to say it’s impressive he waited 7 and a half years to do that.
  • Options
    Taz said:

a

Scott_xP said:

Why shouldn’t he get the,like as he bothered to share it.
    Nah. I’ve taken it away.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Surprised there's no 'clearing the deadwood' in there somewhere - it's such a political cliche.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    kjh said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

My canvassing in Waltham Abbey last week seemed to help us gain a seat from the Greens thanks, as well as an excellent candidate

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1580874671142342658?s=20&t=mn08qU4Gx_Wy4o47Zvlszg

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,517

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Come on @Heathener you say you have the post. In front of you. So just cut and paste. Takes seconds. And link, please.

Surprised to see you so animated about being accused of saying something a bit silly.
    I’m travelling around the world for free. Again. Always makes me feisty

But, really, PB-era can’t go around accusing others of lying and saying “I have the proof right here” and then not actually provide the proof

We have PB standards and it has always been up to me, in the end, to uphold them

@heathener says she has the exact quote I made, unironically calling liz truss the “Tory saviour, a diamond in the rough” and much else. So all she has to is paste it and link it
    Why does she have to? Fuck all will happen if she doesn't.
    No, it's the only way to shut him up.
    Could have taken up the best part of the next half dozen threads otherwise.
    Leon is Heathener ffs. The whole thing is just him having a bizarre onanistic chat with himself. It's obviously a boring flight.
    This keeps coming up - there is no way that Leon is Heathener.
    There bloody is way, he as good as admitted it before her last long absence.
    Like I say, he hints/admits it because it flatters to be thought of as being capable of pulling that off.

It's a No. Trust me.
    I thought Leon was simply SeanT (and a few others).
    I know he brought both in on the day of the Queen's funeral. Didn't he get into a fight with himself on that day?
    “Didn't he get into a fight with himself on that day?“

No we didn’t!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Nigelb said:
    Why was it landing downwind?
    Hah! I was right.

The wind had flipped from 03 (NNE) at 14:00 to variable at 15:00, 240 (SW) at 16:00, same at 17:00. The aircraft landed on 07 (ENE) at 16:24. so with a tailwind. Which can't have helped tbh. (All times Zulu/UTC).

https://avherald.com/h?article=4f719c2d

Having (re-)proved my armchair air accident investigator credentials, I return shortly to political punditry and economic guru-ism.

Anyone still there?
    Very good spot. I was thinking that you ignore the wind if the tide is stronger but that doesn't apply to airports. But can they not talk to the tower/look at the windsock?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Not statistically significant but yesterday's local by-elections weren't too bad for the Tories all things considering. Two gains!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

@Nigel_Farage

"Brexit is not complete" - Oh no. This implies there is more "Brexit" to come.

One feels like a captive of the Gestapo who, having seen off a dozen 'interrogations', hears those footsteps again.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Nigelb said:

If we'd listened to Cameron it would have been stable.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,715
    edited October 2022
    Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Steady.

You do realise membership voting was introduced (and later regretted and deprecated) by William Hague, himself elected by MPs only? A lorra people saw a point in being party members prior to that (membership has halved from there).

£25 shouldn't buy you a vote.
    Yes, I was aware. But its worked[1] for the other two major UK parties, so why it can't work for the Conservatives is beyond me.

And to my mind, being more democratic can only be a good thing, surely?

[1] Well.... Corbyn.... arguably Swinson too. Hard to say.

Unfortunately, as the 'natural party of government' the Conservative picks do get more scrutiny than the others and Hague (and IDS and Howard) were the first Conservative leaders in a very long time not to make Prime Minister. For Labour and the LDs, being a leader doesn't usually lead to being PM.

Since 1945, of the fourteen Conservative leaders, only the above mentioned 3 didn't make PM.
    For the same period, the twelve Labour leaders, only five got to be PM.
    And as for the Liberals/LD, only Clegg made it anywhere near PM of their leaders (can't be bothered counting).
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Scott_xP said:
    Hey, it could be worse. They could be sans clothes.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Surprised there's no 'clearing the deadwood' in there somewhere - it's such a political cliche.
    You can have the like, for a proper effort.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    kjh said:

I once went canvassing with a chap who had a cigarette dangling from the corner of his mouth when he rang the doorbells. I did gently dissuade him after the first couple...
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Afternoon all!

Hope it was a successful visit nonetheless
    Yes thank you. The positives and negatives of my forthcoming operation were explained to me, a number of tests were conducted all of which, or at least the results I saw, were positive. I fear I'm in for a painful few weeks but the result should mean more mobility.
    As long as your typing fingers are ok.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

My canvassing in Waltham Abbey last week seemed to help us on gain a seat from the Greens thanks, as well as an excellent candidate

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1580874671142342658?s=20&t=mn08qU4Gx_Wy4o47Zvlszg

How do you know? Might have won by a bigger margin.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

I know we will never agree on this and I was going to respond but I can see it isn't necessary because of all the many excellent responses already, but I am baffled as to why someone like you, a Christian, can support someone with so few morals. I also can't see how you can't see that he started all this off. He created a long trail of corruption, deception and lies that is destroying the Conservative party. Liz Truss is there because of him. He would not have been removed if he had been honest. Why do you think the Conservative MPs removed him? It wasn't the LDs or Labour party that did it.

As Truss is a former adulteress herself but unlike Boris also pushed a budget that favoured the rich more than the poor and average earners if anything Boris was more Christian than Truss if that was the key criteria. However I do not hold the PM to the same standards of morality as the Archbishop of Canterbury or the Pope who actually are supposed to represent Christianity in the UK
    So much for your ecumenism. What about the Peculiar People, then? The Unitarians? Or the Free Church of Scotland (Continuing)? Just because they aren't run by heads of state.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

If we'd listened to Cameron it would have been stable.
    An Ed Miliband would not have been a resounding success.
  • Options
    SNAP ANALYSIS: This is a PM out of her depth and in deep trouble, and that 8 min 20 second press conference told it all >
    https://news.sky.com/story/be-in-no-doubt-the-prime-minister-is-in-deep-trouble-beth-rigby-12720432
  • Options

@Nigel_Farage

We really do need to move beyond this ridiculous leaver / remainer rubbish. I really couldn’t give a shit anymore considering on where its led us to
    The hardest of hard Brexiteers backed Truss - it's nonsense to try to treat things as as simple as Leaver vs Reaminer now.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,435
    At least we can all console ourselves with the thought that she’ll be spanked when she gets home?
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    Here's a possible explanation for the decision to drop the investigation into the Nord Stream pipeline explosion: An intelligence agency (American, British, French, whoever) has an agent in the Russian government who has already given the allies the facts -- and the agency is worried that an open investigation will expose him. There are, of course, many historical examples of governments protecting intelligence secrets in similar ways.

And we do know that our intelligence agencies have had surprising success in penetrating Putin's regime.

So it is possible, but I haven't followed the matter closely enough to give odds on it being true.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

And you really think that is all Boris did? Not been following the news while he was PM then?

And you think that is why Tory MPs got rid of him also?
  • Options
    Hunt is sort of making the earlier point about confidence. He was out in the wilderness, going nowhere, and yet he's taken up the chance of being Chancellor now - probably he can do nothing useful and it'll go badly, but he's prepared to take the shot.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,584

Scott_xP said:
    Some of us remember The Calendar Girls - WI women posing nude each month.
    The Calendar Chancellors is a horrific prospect.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,435
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

My canvassing in Waltham Abbey last week seemed to help us gain a seat from the Greens thanks, as well as an excellent candidate

“Before I put you down as a definite, I do need to ask whether you sort your recycling into the proper boxes every week…..?”
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Fulsome...

Simon Clarke MP@SimonClarkeMP

The Prime Minister has my support.

Just...don't ask any follow up questions.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Some of us remember The Calendar Girls - WI women posing nude each month.
    The Calendar Chancellors is a horrific prospect.
    Complete with Brexiter cakes. Rather small rock buns ...
  • Options

Been up on Bleaklow today to the scene of the 1948 plane crash. This was the scene when the news of the Kwasi sacking came through. Seemed strangely appropriate.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:
    Diversity in action. Everyone gets a month.

Is there a Chinese chap ready for November, maybe?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    Truss is so shit at politics that she got rid of the lightening rod.

If she had ordered KK to go out on the news at 2pm and reverse his tax cuts then all the flak would have been on him this weekend.

Now maybe she tried and he said 'bollx to that'. I am sure Tim Shipman will find out.

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,166
    kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

"Brexit is not complete" - Oh no. This implies there is more "Brexit" to come.

One feels like a captive of the Gestapo who, having seen off a dozen 'interrogations', hears those footsteps again.
    The solution to Brexit's failure is always more Brexit. To say anything else, Farage would have to admit that his whole political career has been devoted to harming the country he claims to love. He's not stupid so he's probably worked this out, but he's not going to admit it, ever.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

And you really think that is all Boris did? Not been following the news while he was PM then?

For someone who used to go on about tyhe need for total loyalty to the Party Leader of the day, HYUFD sure has rowed back on that doctrine of the Leadership Principle. What's wrong with total loyalty to Ms Truss, like all the iothers?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Afternoon all!

Hope it was a successful visit nonetheless
    Yes thank you. The positives and negatives of my forthcoming operation were explained to me, a number of tests were conducted all of which, or at least the results I saw, were positive. I fear I'm in for a painful few weeks but the result should mean more mobility.
    As long as your typing fingers are ok.
    Thank you. In fact, I haven't been typing for awhile;; I'm using the Mac dictation facility. As it's basically Californian it does get confused sometimes. Welsh political parties, for example, puzzle it!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Hunt gets another month by virtue of speaking chinese?
  • Options

I am sure Tim Shipman will find out.

He is off this week
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Is "energy price guarantee" the new "strong and stable"?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Just caught up with the Same government, different leader, surely?

Same Parliament, different government - late Queen appointed Truss to form an administration. But on your first point, that repudiating the performance of the last 14 years, only 2 of which were Labour, was “brave”.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Been up on Bleaklow today to the scene of the 1948 plane crash. This was the scene when the news of the Kwasi sacking came through. Seemed strangely appropriate.

Mm, just looked it up - RB-29A of the USAF, 11 crew and 2 passengers died (all those on the plane).
  • Options

Is "energy price guarantee" the new "strong and stable"?

‘Prudence for a purpose’
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,801
    Raleigh mass shooter was a 15-year-old boy
    https://twitter.com/JamesVGrimaldi/status/1580927359569784832
  • Options

Same Parliament, different government - late Queen appointed Truss to form an administration. But on your first point, that repudiating the performance of the last 14 years, only 2 of which were Labour, was “brave”.
    It worked in 2019. But expecting lightning to strike twice without a) The Corbyn factor b) Brexit wars, and c) repudiating the previous PM as well as the previous government (rather than 'The PM was great, we should do the reverse of what he did), was probably optimistic.
  • Options

Perhaps we should return to the custom of having a new Parliament when we have a new sovereign!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

rcs1000 said:

@Nigel_Farage

I apologize - I thought he had been opposed while a Tory.
  • Options

Perhaps we should return to the custom of having a new Parliament when we have a new sovereign!
    Do that and someone will suggest that is the only time we should have a new Parliament!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Taz said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It's a joke: he's been rubbish with the economy, geddit?
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 596
    Kamikaze Kwarteng has issued a statement:

"Is it coz I is black?"
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715

Looks like Covid boosters now available for all over-50s. Just booked for me and Wor Lass.

And now booked flu jabs too.

Going to be arms like pin cushions.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,587
    edited October 2022

And now booked flu jabs too.

Going to be arms like pin cushions.
    Had mine.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    PM just played the presser in full.
    Good grief...
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

What about the ladies?
  • Options
    Assume means a new Farage party - Brexit betrayal, immigration rhetoric, low tax. Will be interesting to see if those voters are in the mood for it. Mind you, only needs to take 5-10% of vote in some places and not win a seat to shred the Tories and give Labour a majority of 150

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1580955063215759360
    https://twitter.com/andywigmore/status/1580936520612990977
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,379
    The real question surely is whether she can outlast The Daily Star's lettuce.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

For someone who used to go on about tyhe need for total loyalty to the Party Leader of the day, HYUFD sure has rowed back on that doctrine of the Leadership Principle. What's wrong with total loyalty to Ms Truss, like all the iothers?
    Truss is a former member of the LDs and ideologically a libertarian not a Tory.

If she had a big poll lead that might have been less of an issue but she doesn't.

However I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt after her actions today to try and stabilise the Treasury and the markets
This discussion has been closed.