Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

After sacking her Chancellor the money goes on a 2022 Truss exit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    dixiedean said:

PM just played the presser in full.
    Good grief...

Quite. How will they fill the rest of the program?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Hunt has always been the sensible face of the Tory Party.

Most recently the only sensible face. Cranks like people who look and think like they do.

Rees Mogg Nadine Dorries Suella Braverman Priti Patel. What kind of a serious Party would have any of them in a Cabinet?

It might hang on as a dating agency for Etonians and the horsey set but otherwise their time has passed
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    edited October 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Apparently Kwasi Kwarteng had trouble getting a seat on the plane cos nobody wanted him anywhere near business or economy

https://twitter.com/_iPed/status/1580888729807646720

Very believable from a Twitter feed with less than a thousand followers. Must be true.
    It's a joke: he's been rubbish with the economy, geddit?
    Ba dum Tish !

Yeah, it’s a gag. Get it now 😂

A mate of mine looks after the Bob Monkhouse estate. The laughter guzzler would appreciate that
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You have to hand it to the ERG, they backed a Remainer, Truss over a Leaver, Sunak and ignored those who wanted to back Leaver Badenoch.

They now have a Remainer as PM and Remainer Hunt as Chancellor, Boris' opponent from 2019 of course and a staunch May loyalist.

One can't help but laugh at Mark Francois who is responsible for this!

There is only one person responsible and that is your toxic hero Johnson
    No. Boris won the Tories this majority and ERG backers like Baker turning on him and Francois then ordering the ERG to back Truss has meant they have now seen a Leaver PM and Leaver Chancellor in Boris and Sunak replaced by Remainer Truss as PM and Remainer Hunt as Chancellor.

This now looks more like it could be more like the old May government than the Boris government
    Boris toxic and irresponsible behaviour led us to today

And by the way you voted remain
    No, the likes of you forcing him out over partygate led to today and a bigger Starmer lead than ever there was under Boris.

Yes I did vote Remain and will remain loyal to this government (as I was to the May government) and Hunt is a serious figure for the Treasury and a proper Tory but I also respected the Leave vote and it was only Boris who delivered Brexit
    I didn’t force him out

Boris behaviour became so toxic he was unacceptable to the vast majority of ordinary people
    HYUFD is like a babysitting agency which sends you a heroin-addicted thief whom you reject, so they send you a convicted paedophile instead. When you complain about the paedophile they say Well, you should've stuck with the thief.
    Colourful but correct.

Boris remains unsuitable, and in a personal level not policy which is most remarkable. You have to be really sleazy for MPs to not look the other way.
    This all starts with Boris. He is the one that has triggered the destruction of this Government with his dishonesty, corruption, damage to the constitution and gutting of many of the sensible Conservatives from the party.

One could argue it goes back to Cameron re the Referendum, but I think that is unfair. He probably had little choice and although Brexit was a near impossible task it could have been done much better and without all the subsequent Boris stuff that was not Brexit related.

As far as I am concerned this all lays at Boris's door. Truss is simply an inevitable corollary of it all.
    No, Boris was the one who delivered Brexit and with a trade deal and crushed your party and Labour in
    2019. Boris also delivered the vaccines and furlough with Sunak and had a broader cabinet than Truss' was.

The mistake was getting rid of Boris
    I know we will never agree on this and I was going to respond but I can see it isn't necessary because of all the many excellent responses already, but I am baffled as to why someone like you, a Christian, can support someone with so few morals. I also can't see how you can't see that he started all this off. He created a long trail of corruption, deception and lies that is destroying the Conservative party. Liz Truss is there because of him. He would not have been removed if he had been honest. Why do you think the Conservative MPs removed him? It wasn't the LDs or Labour party that did it.
    He ate a piece of cake at a birthday cake and liked women.

As Truss is a former adulteress herself but unlike Boris also pushed a budget that favoured the rich more than the poor and average earners if anything Boris was more Christian than Truss if that was the key criteria. However I do not hold the PM to the same standards of morality as the Archbishop of Canterbury or the Pope who actually are supposed to represent Christianity in the UK
    So much for your ecumenism. What about the Peculiar People, then? The Unitarians? Or the Free Church of Scotland (Continuing)? Just because they aren't run by heads of state.
    As you well they don't have 1 leader at the top on earth, nor does the Pentecostal churches really and the Church of Scotland doesn't even have bishops.

So none have a figure comparable to the leader of the Conservative Party and PM unlike the Church of England and Roman Catholic Church who do in the A of C and Pope
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    DougSeal said:

Nigelb said:

Ed clearly believes in revenge as a dish served cold.
    https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband/status/1580931307185401856

Have to say it’s impressive he waited 7 and a half years to do that.
    It is funny for him to do so, though it does just draw attention to the fact that it worked.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Assume means a new Farage party - Brexit betrayal, immigration rhetoric, low tax. Will be interesting to see if those voters are in the mood for it. Mind you, only needs to take 5-10% of vote in some places and not win a seat to shred the Tories and give Labour a majority of 150

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1580955063215759360
    https://twitter.com/andywigmore/status/1580936520612990977

another new farage party!!
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,356
    kle4 said:

Just caught up with the Same government, different leader, surely?

Same Parliament, different government - late Queen appointed Truss to form an administration. But on your first point, that repudiating the performance of the last 14 years, only 2 of which were Labour, was “brave”.
    It worked in 2019. But expecting lightning to strike twice without a) The Corbyn factor b) Brexit wars, and c) repudiating the previous PM as well as the previous government (rather than 'The PM was great, we should do the reverse of what he did), was probably optimistic.
    They were also arguably on their first change as far as the public were concerned. Cameron had to go due to Brexit. May got stuck and couldn't 'do' Brexit, so it had a certain kind of logic to give Boris a try to unblock it all (and I say that as someone who loathes him and Brexit). What's the excuse this time for changing leader other than 'we keep picking PMs who for various reasons who are rubbish and our political project keeps failing but trust us we've got it right this time'?
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    "After sacking her Chancellor the money goes on a 2022 Truss exit".

Is that a dangling participle or a conspiracy theory?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    Nigelb said:

Raleigh mass shooter was a 15-year-old boy
    https://twitter.com/JamesVGrimaldi/status/1580927359569784832

'I don't have an answer as to why this happened,' says the police chief.

Well, don't quote me officer, but the 2nd Amendment might have something to do with it.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    edited October 2022
    Have we done the peerage for Stewart Jackson?
    Is he the first ex-PBer elevated to the Lords?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    O/T but of ongoing relevance to the Truss approach to the environment: Woodland Trust have now sent me an email saying basically This Is A Disgrace and will HMG extradigitate?

"Despite widespread public outcry, Government’s early responses to criticism do nothing to reassure us. So far, valid concerns have been brushed off with vague platitudes.
    The nature and climate crises are getting worse. Government should be focusing on strengthening protection and restoring the natural world – not ripping up the protection we already have"
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948
    dixiedean said:

Good grief...

The presenter sounded almost... bewildered at how bad it was.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Have we done the peerage for Stewart Jackson?
    Is he the first ex-PBer elevated to the Lord's?

I don't think he has been elevated to the Lord's. He didn't pass the Test.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    @JimmySecUK
    Many people wondered how Igor Girkin (and others) managed to get away with openly criticising the conduct of Russia's war in Ukraine.

It seems that the Kremlin has had enough of their relative candor - Girkin, Greyzone, Wargonzo etc. are now under criminal investigation.

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1580954038535081984
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Been up on Bleaklow today to the scene of the 1948 plane crash. This was the scene when the news of the Kwasi sacking came through. Seemed strangely appropriate.

Mm, just looked it up - RB-29A of the USAF, 11 crew and 2 passengers died (all those on the plane).
    Yes, strangely moving. Not that strange, I suppose.
    There is a lot less of the wreckage than there was a few years ago!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,715
    Kwasi briefing?

Whitehall sources said Kwarteng had been pushing for a total retreat on the promised scrapping of raising corporation tax from 19% to 25%, while Truss dug in and wanted to go for something smaller. However, she eventually acquiesced and decided someone else should “carry the can”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/14/knives-of-long-night-brutally-swift-kwasi-kwarteng-sacking
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You have to hand it to the ERG, they backed a Remainer, Truss over a Leaver, Sunak and ignored those who wanted to back Leaver Badenoch.

They now have a Remainer as PM and Remainer Hunt as Chancellor, Boris' opponent from 2019 of course and a staunch May loyalist.

No. Boris won the Tories this majority and ERG backers like Baker turning on him and Francois then ordering the ERG to back Truss has meant they have now seen a Leaver PM and Leaver Chancellor in Boris and Sunak replaced by Remainer Truss as PM and Remainer Hunt as Chancellor.

This now looks more like it could be more like the old May government than the Boris government

No, the likes of you forcing him out over partygate led to today and a bigger Starmer lead than ever there was under Boris.

Yes I did vote Remain and will remain loyal to this government (as I was to the May government) and Hunt is a serious figure for the Treasury and a proper Tory but I also respected the Leave vote and it was only Boris who delivered Brexit
    I didn’t force him out

Boris behaviour became so toxic he was unacceptable to the vast majority of ordinary people
    HYUFD is like a babysitting agency which sends you a heroin-addicted thief whom you reject, so they send you a convicted paedophile instead. When you complain about the paedophile they say Well, you should've stuck with the thief.
    Colourful but correct.

Boris remains unsuitable, and in a personal level not policy which is most remarkable. You have to be really sleazy for MPs to not look the other way.
    This all starts with Boris. He is the one that has triggered the destruction of this Government with his dishonesty, corruption, damage to the constitution and gutting of many of the sensible Conservatives from the party.

One could argue it goes back to Cameron re the Referendum, but I think that is unfair. He probably had little choice and although Brexit was a near impossible task it could have been done much better and without all the subsequent Boris stuff that was not Brexit related.

As far as I am concerned this all lays at Boris's door. Truss is simply an inevitable corollary of it all.
    No, Boris was the one who delivered Brexit and with a trade deal and crushed your party and Labour in
    2019. Boris also delivered the vaccines and furlough with Sunak and had a broader cabinet than Truss' was.

I know we will never agree on this and I was going to respond but I can see it isn't necessary because of all the many excellent responses already, but I am baffled as to why someone like you, a Christian, can support someone with so few morals. I also can't see how you can't see that he started all this off. He created a long trail of corruption, deception and lies that is destroying the Conservative party. Liz Truss is there because of him. He would not have been removed if he had been honest. Why do you think the Conservative MPs removed him? It wasn't the LDs or Labour party that did it.

As Truss is a former adulteress herself but unlike Boris also pushed a budget that favoured the rich more than the poor and average earners if anything Boris was more Christian than Truss if that was the key criteria. However I do not hold the PM to the same standards of morality as the Archbishop of Canterbury or the Pope who actually are supposed to represent Christianity in the UK
    So much for your ecumenism. What about the Peculiar People, then? The Unitarians? Or the Free Church of Scotland (Continuing)? Just because they aren't run by heads of state.
    As you well they don't have 1 leader at the top on earth, nor does the Pentecostal churches really and the Church of Scotland doesn't even have bishops.

So none have a figure comparable to the leader of the Conservative Party and PM unlike the Church of England and Roman Catholic Church who do in the A of C and Pope
    I only learnt this the other day but the Archbishop of Canterbury (and indeed also of York) are higher in the Order of Precedence than the Prime Minister
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Oh, so you don't think Christians count if they don't have a hierarchy under the thumb of the State? Pull the other plonker, chum.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

And you really think that is all Boris did? Not been following the news while he was PM then?

And you think that is why Tory MPs got rid of him also?
    Unfortunately it is blind loyalty which sees no wrong in Johnson and excuses him over patersongate, partygate, wallpapergate and pinchergate

Johnson is the architect of today and the conservative party are heading for just 4 mps according to a recent poll

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kinabalu said:

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1580902437988495369

@Nigel_Farage
    Remainer Jeremy Hunt is the new Chancellor, joining forces with our Remainer PM.

This Conservative party has no authority, no decency and has failed our country.

Brexit is not complete, open border immigration continues and lies are told at every election. The Conservative party needs replacing.

A new proportional voting system will kill @Conservatives off, and after 12 years of Tory misrule — they deserve it.

"Brexit is not complete" - Oh no. This implies there is more "Brexit" to come.

One feels like a captive of the Gestapo who, having seen off a dozen 'interrogations', hears those footsteps again.
    The solution to Brexit's failure is always more Brexit. To say anything else, Farage would have to admit that his whole political career has been devoted to harming the country he claims to love. He's not stupid so he's probably worked this out, but he's not going to admit it, ever.
    Yep. Brexit has to be of the hardest purest ilk - and no matter how sheeny and pure it looks to the naked layman's eye* the true connoisseur (had to google that spelling) can always detect a flaw.

* an assist for @ydoethur to score with something here.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Assume means a new Farage party - Brexit betrayal, immigration rhetoric, low tax. Will be interesting to see if those voters are in the mood for it. Mind you, only needs to take 5-10% of vote in some places and not win a seat to shred the Tories and give Labour a majority of 150

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1580955063215759360
    https://twitter.com/andywigmore/status/1580936520612990977

another new farage party!!
    He's had way more parties than Boris, that's for sure.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    ohnotnow said:

dixiedean said:

Good grief...

As I keep saying we knew all this from the first hustings TV event. She was awful in that and then the press started saying she's getting better once it looked like the members had made their stupid minds up.

Can we all agree that the membership should never be given a vote like this again.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Boris "liked women"
    Truss "is a former adulteress"

This comparison is very telling.
    If only she'd committed adultery with another woman, then it would have been fine, I guess?

(I say that as someone generally unbothered by personal failings in politicians, so long as it does not affect their job).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    kjh said:

Scott_xP said:
    Diversity in action. Everyone gets a month.

Is there a Chinese chap ready for November, maybe?
    What about the ladies?
    They can get the top job.

For now.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage
    Remainer Jeremy Hunt is the new Chancellor, joining forces with our Remainer PM.

This Conservative party has no authority, no decency and has failed our country.

Brexit is not complete, open border immigration continues and lies are told at every election. The Conservative party needs replacing.

A new proportional voting system will kill @Conservatives off, and after 12 years of Tory misrule — they deserve it.

One feels like a captive of the Gestapo who, having seen off a dozen 'interrogations', hears those footsteps again.
    The solution to Brexit's failure is always more Brexit. To say anything else, Farage would have to admit that his whole political career has been devoted to harming the country he claims to love. He's not stupid so he's probably worked this out, but he's not going to admit it, ever.
    Yep. Brexit has to be of the hardest purest ilk - and no matter how sheeny and pure it looks to the naked layman's eye* the true connoisseur (had to google that spelling) can always detect a flaw.

Unfortunate spelling error in shiny.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Ed clearly believes in revenge as a dish served cold.
    https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband/status/1580931307185401856

If we'd listened to Cameron it would have been stable.
    If he hadn't unneccessarily flounced, it would have been stable.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

dixiedean said:

Good grief...

As I keep saying we knew all this from the first hustings TV event. She was awful in that and then the press started saying she's getting better once it looked like the members had made their stupid minds up.
    I seem to recall she did alright in most of the tv events bar the first, albeit not great. But it was at a point where since members disliked Rishi so much his slickness was just more evidence against him, and the others were too unknown or inexperienced to get through the MPs. (In fairness Rishi was not great in several events either).
  • Options
    MJW said:

kle4 said:

Just caught up with the Same government, different leader, surely?

Same Parliament, different government - late Queen appointed Truss to form an administration. But on your first point, that repudiating the performance of the last 14 years, only 2 of which were Labour, was “brave”.
    It worked in 2019. But expecting lightning to strike twice without a) The Corbyn factor b) Brexit wars, and c) repudiating the previous PM as well as the previous government (rather than 'The PM was great, we should do the reverse of what he did), was probably optimistic.
    They were also arguably on their first change as far as the public were concerned. Cameron had to go due to Brexit. May got stuck and couldn't 'do' Brexit, so it had a certain kind of logic to give Boris a try to unblock it all (and I say that as someone who loathes him and Brexit). What's the excuse this time for changing leader other than 'we keep picking PMs who for various reasons who are rubbish and our political project keeps failing but trust us we've got it right this time'?
    Cameron screwed the Brexit referendum, but credit to him for doing well with the Sindyref.
    May would probably have squeaked home with a Sindyref too. (The Twee English, dad's a vicar, archetype doesn't offend many north of the border.)
    Johnson would have lost a Sindyref. (The arrogant English overgrown public schoolboy archetype, combined with the effect of a Bullingdon Club photo or two - not good north of Gretna at all.)
    Truss won't stay PM long enough to fight a referendum, but if she did she'd be doing well to lose a Sindyref (or any other referendum) by less than a 15% margin. (Utterly toxic. You just wouldn't want her on your side.)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Do you mean "He ate a piece of woman at a birthday party and liked cake"?
  • Options

@JimmySecUK
    Many people wondered how Igor Girkin (and others) managed to get away with openly criticising the conduct of Russia's war in Ukraine.

It seems that the Kremlin has had enough of their relative candor - Girkin, Greyzone, Wargonzo etc. are now under criminal investigation.

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1580954038535081984

Pissing off the ultras eh?

This could end well.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Why are you defending somebody put a known groper in a senior position then lied about it?

Do you even possess a moral compass?
    Why should Tories care less what a LD voter like you thinks?...
    Since you're down to about 20% of voters, perhaps you should be less picky ?
    He still voted LD in 2019 when Boris won 43%
    Politicians are supposed to court the electorate, not hold grudges against it.
    I'm giggling at my imagined vision of hyufd reaction while canvassing and being told by a voter that they were voting anything other than Conservative.

We did have a LD whom we reckoned lost us more votes the more he canvased and had to diplomatically move him away from canvassing duties.
    My canvassing in Waltham Abbey last week seemed to help us gain a seat from the Greens thanks, as well as an excellent candidate

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1580874671142342658?s=20&t=mn08qU4Gx_Wy4o47Zvlszg

That's the Green who re-stood despite being removed from position for non-(in person) attendance?

Local factors, as elsewhere, but even so.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

The opportunity was there, but gone in a flash.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Boris "liked women"
    Truss "is a former adulteress"

This comparison is very telling.
    Gendered irregular verb.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

No, I meant sheeny! - as in possessed of a sheen.

Does it have some other yucky connotation?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Does it have some other yucky connation?
    Offensive slang for jew.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Downside of the appointment of the new Chancellor for BBC presenters is they have to go back to being very careful not to use their newsroom nickname for him on air.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Offensive slang for jew.
    Oh gosh, didn't realize.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,465

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

I only learnt this the other day but the Archbishop of Canterbury (and indeed also of York) are higher in the Order of Precedence than the Prime Minister
    And the lord chancellor. Which is a little bit weird given they’re actually a subordinate in goverment.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Compare and contrast as they used to say on my 'o' level papers::

Kitty Donaldson
    @kitty_donaldson
    NEW: Truss expects her new Chancellor of the Exchequer Jeremy Hunt to commit to carrying out no further U-turns on her economic plans after she already backtracked on two of the measures

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    14m
    Jeremy Hunt is now in a strong position to dictate the terms of the new mini-Budget to Liz Truss
  • Options
    Bearing in mind Leon's invaluable BDSM insights, is it possible that Truss is actually enjoying all this humiliation and punishment?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

The opportunity was there, but gone in a flash.
    :smile: - but I thought you'd jump on "naked layman's eye".
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Oh, yes, old term for a Jew, I believe antisemitic, but probably obsolete now. YOur sheeny as in sheen-y does certainly exist, but it's a word I would avoid if onlyt for the ambiguity in some contexts - but perhaps I read too many old books.

Acvtually thought you meant shiny and it was a speech to text or autocorrect hiccup.
  • Options

Kitty Donaldson
    @kitty_donaldson
    NEW: Truss expects her new Chancellor of the Exchequer Jeremy Hunt to commit to carrying out no further U-turns on her economic plans after she already backtracked on two of the measures

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    14m
    Jeremy Hunt is now in a strong position to dictate the terms of the new mini-Budget to Liz Truss

LOL. I don’t think Liz Truss is in a position to “expect” anything now. Hunt is Prime Minister in all but name.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

What is a "former" adulteress?

And Johnson is also an adulterer. And so is the king.

You don't seem to be holding a male PM to the same standards of morality as a female PM.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Offensive slang for jew.
    Oh gosh, didn't realize.
    The things you learn on PB!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,984

Kitty Donaldson
    @kitty_donaldson

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    14m

Even if I didn’t already know that Kitty Donaldson was a grade a moron that tweet tells you she is..
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

You don't seem to be holding a male PM to the same standards of morality as a female PM.
    Or, indeed, a male sovereign to the same standards.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

dixiedean said:

Good grief...

Can we all agree that the membership should never be given a vote like this again.
    To be fair, she did actually start getting better. She was also ok in her first PMQs. I think she gets worse when she’s uncomfortable or feels out of her depth. Which she clearly is right now.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

dixiedean said:

Good grief...

To be fair, she did actually start getting better. She was also ok in her first PMQs. I think she gets worse when she’s uncomfortable or feels out of her depth. Which she clearly is right now.
    Boris had his blustering defence mechanism, she doesn't appear to have one.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Offensive slang for jew.
    Oh gosh, didn't realize.
    If it makes you feel better, I'm an expert on the Holocaust so know a great deal more than most about antisemitism, and I've never heard of that one either.
  • Options

Kitty Donaldson
    @kitty_donaldson

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    14m

LOL. I don’t think Liz Truss is in a position to “expect” anything now. Hunt is Prime Minister in all but name.
    I don't think he'll U-turn on any of the remaining bits of the mini-budget. Instead I expect him to put together a package of some spending cuts (although there's precious little scope for that), some largish offsetting tax rises elsewhere (he'll try to find ones which aren't anti-growth), and putting the target date for getting the deficit down off a couple of years (the 'medium term' becomes rather longer term). It will be a tricky balance, but he's a smart guy and politically very aware.
  • Options
    eek said:

Kitty Donaldson
    @kitty_donaldson

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    14m

Even if I didn’t already know that Kitty Donaldson was a grade a moron that tweet tells you she is..
    Is\ that fair? It could be reported speech, oratio obliqua as they used to call it in my Latin lessons.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,639
    edited October 2022
    Zelensky spokesman.

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1580945804193587200
    Let's be honest. Like it or not, @elonmusk helped us survive the most critical moments of war. Business has the right to its own strategies. 🇺🇦 will find a solution to keep #Starlink working. We expect that the company will provide stable connection till the end of negotiations.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Oh, yes, old term for a Jew, I believe antisemitic, but probably obsolete now. YOur sheeny as in sheen-y does certainly exist, but it's a word I would avoid if onlyt for the ambiguity in some contexts - but perhaps I read too many old books.
    Or maybe I don't read enough old books.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

And the lord chancellor. Which is a little bit weird given they’re actually a subordinate in goverment.
    Bishops generally above judges as well
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,993
    🔥 Tory MPs have just come off a call with Therese Coffey, where the PM’s allies tried to calm the mood. It didn’t work.

One tells me “It was delusional nonsense from most. All the medias fault. Some saying shame we reversed the tax cuts. Everyone saying the comms is shit.”

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1580960210201767936
  • Options
    Dear oh dear. I almost feel sorry for her. She looks like a lost child scanning a huge room anxiously looking for mummy.

https://twitter.com/craiguito/status/1580948321832620032?s=46&t=Ns5XahTuZE1G2fxJyXH48w
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    Wasn’t it Leon who said that Truss would bear expectations on the upside? He’s kept quiet about that…
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Offensive slang for jew.
    Oh gosh, didn't realize.
    The things you learn on PB!
    There are some deeply learned units on here, no question.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Truss was having sex with Mark Field who was not her husband, I assume she is not an adulteress at present whatever the rumours regarding her relationship with her former Chancellor.

As I pointed out Johnson is also someone with a colourful private life but his government never produced budgets preferencing the rich more than the poor like Truss' government.

So I would make neither Pope nor Archbishop but in a choice between who is more Christian, Boris edges it over Truss
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Tradition, innit? The old days the Lord Chancellor ranked above the Lord High Treasurer, and now there is, in any case, no Lord High Treasurer the First Lord remains junior.

What must be galling is that they're also junior to the Duke of York...
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Offensive slang for jew.
    Oh gosh, didn't realize.
    If it makes you feel better, I'm an expert on the Holocaust so know a great deal more than most about antisemitism, and I've never heard of that one either.
    https://blog.oup.com/2009/07/sheeny/ interesting on the etymology. Tldr: nobody knows.
  • Options
    “Liz is the chairman Jeremy is the chief executive “ says Hunt ally Steve Brine . Uh-oh that’s what Brown said about Blair
    https://twitter.com/RSylvesterTimes/status/1580962652309794820
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

And you really think that is all Boris did? Not been following the news while he was PM then?

For someone who used to go on about tyhe need for total loyalty to the Party Leader of the day, HYUFD sure has rowed back on that doctrine of the Leadership Principle. What's wrong with total loyalty to Ms Truss, like all the iothers?
    Truss is a former member of the LDs and ideologically a libertarian not a Tory.

If she had a big poll lead that might have been less of an issue but she doesn't.

However I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt after her actions today to try and stabilise the Treasury and the markets
    Liz has asked me to pass on her thanks. She feels much better now that you have given her the benefit of the doubt.
  • Options

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Unfortunately it is blind loyalty which sees no wrong in Johnson and excuses him over patersongate, partygate, wallpapergate and pinchergate

Johnson is the architect of today and the conservative party are heading for just 4 mps according to a recent poll

No he isn't, Johnson was not PM for the Mini Budget, Truss was
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Oh, so you don't think Christians count if they don't have a hierarchy under the thumb of the State? Pull the other plonker, chum.
    Well obviously they don't have a leader comparable to the PM do they. If you had bothered to read my early post rather than rant!!!!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Offensive slang for jew.
    Oh gosh, didn't realize.
    How about this one. Anything to see here?

https://twitter.com/davee2873/status/1580914949412425729/photo/1
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Well obviously they don't have a leader comparable to the PM do they. If you had bothered to read my early post rather than rant!!!!
    You said "who actually are supposed to represent Christianity in the UK" - leaving the rest out in the cold.
  • Options
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

You said "who actually are supposed to represent Christianity in the UK" - leaving the rest out in the cold.
    tbf the two faiths mentioned do represent the big majority of Christians -
  • Options
    Robbie Coltrane has died.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    Ishmael_Z said:

The twitter "may contain offensive content" button always disappoints.

Agreed. Some of your posts, however.....
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Wasn’t it Leon who said that Truss would bear expectations on the upside? He’s kept quiet about that…

He’s been pwned about that by Heathener today and ate humble pie over it.

F’tang, f’tang
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Offensive slang for jew.
    Oh gosh, didn't realize.
    Well that does. But in any event I'll retire the word now after its one and only outing. Think that's best. We toss it away and the river of debate flows on ...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Offensive slang for jew.
    Oh gosh, didn't realize.

So @Dynamo is still active on Twitter, is he?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Tradition, innit? The old days the Lord Chancellor ranked above the Lord High Treasurer, and now there is, in any case, no Lord High Treasurer the First Lord remains junior.

What must be galling is that they're also junior to the Duke of York...
    ...which is not a safe situation to be in tbh.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

"could", not "would", we went through this earlier...
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Actually, not sure that that is true for the UK [edit: as specified by HYUFD] ; hence my scepticism. And on rechecking my memory seems to be correct, at least for active attendance.

https://faithsurvey.co.uk/uk-christianity.html
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Offensive slang for jew.
    Oh gosh, didn't realize.
    Probably a bit antiquated. I remember it from one of the Lord Peter Wimsey novels.
  • Options
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Offensive slang for jew.
    Oh gosh, didn't realize.
    Probably a bit antiquated. I remember it from one of the Lord Peter Wimsey novels.
    Whose Body, presumably? Must admit I don't remember it in there but that must be the one I know least well.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Offensive slang for jew.
    Oh gosh, didn't realize.
    Whose Body, presumably? Must admit I don't remember it in there but that must be the one I know least well.
    That's the one.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Offensive slang for jew.
    Oh gosh, didn't realize.
    A quick check finds it in Portnoy's Complaint, which is, or at least when I read it as a teenager was not, a historical novel, dating from 1972. But it doesn't seem to be that common now outside historical fiction.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

As leaders of the churches most Christians attend in the UK yes.

Most of the other churches in the UK don't have national or global leaders to represent them
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Most of the other churches in the UK don't have national or global leaders to represent them
    They do. But if you don't think Moderators ansd the like don't count, then there is nothing I can do for you.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    He's one of us.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Another day, another @HYUFD self-painted corner. Sigh.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Jeremy Hunt is now the de facto prime minister

The new chancellor will be running the show, and Truss will be a sort of ‘PRINO’ – prime minister in name only

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-hunt-chancellor-liz-truss-new-prime-minister-b2202928.html

Similar to the Cheney-W administration in USA.

EXCEPT that nobody expects the Hunt-Truss "administration" to last 8 years. Eight weeks maybe?
    8 days.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

They do. But if you don't think Moderators ansd the like don't count, then there is nothing I can do for you.
    No they don't, the Pentecostal churches have no global or international leader or head.

The Moderator of the Church of Scotland just presides over the Assembly of the Church of Scotland. He is neither its head nor leader
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Robbie Coltrane has died.

It's quite a shock to realise he was 72. Somehow he always seemed ageless.

A great actor. Underrated, in fact.
    A cracker.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Globally still certainly. Even if Pentecostal churches are growing fastest
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

No they don't, the Pentecostal churches have no global or international leader or head.

The Moderator of the Church of Scotland just presides over the Assembly of the Church of Scotland. He is neither its head nor leader
    Who do you think any minister of the kirk is if not a leader? And who do you think the media go to when thjey want a comment re the Kirk's view?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Offensive slang for jew.
    Oh gosh, didn't realize.

So @Dynamo is still active on Twitter, is he?
    I have literally no idea what that means. I asked whether there was anything to see in that photo

Keep it simple for me please
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t force him out

Colourful but correct.

Globally still certainly. Even if Pentecostal churches are growing fastest
    But you said UK, not globally. Can't move the goalposts like that if you want to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@Nigel_Farage

Offensive slang for jew.
    Oh gosh, didn't realize.
    A quick check finds it in Portnoy's Complaint, which is, or at least when I read it as a teenager was not, a historical novel, dating from 1972. But it doesn't seem to be that common now outside historical fiction.
    I quite like Roth but having read the wiki summary of the book, it sounds too offal for my liking.
This discussion has been closed.