Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The latest polling is giving us widely different numbers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

The rozzers can coitus off.

Poor Sunil is also going to end up on the nonce jotter at this rate.

Police should be able to monitor passengers who spend hours on the railway network in case they are pickpockets or sex offenders — or are in need of help — a chief constable has said.

Lucy D’Orsi, the head of the British Transport Police, wants to track Oyster and bank cards to spot “anomalous behaviour” and focus police resources on it.

She told Policing TV: “An example I gave recently is somebody who’s travelling the [London] Underground for six hours. So they tap in and they tap out six hours later? Why is that? Possibly vulnerable, possibly a pickpocket, possibly a predatory sex offender.”

Police can ask Transport for London and Network Rail for specific travel information on a suspect but do not have access to generic information about passenger movements.

D’Orsi said she wanted to look at using data in a “better way”. She added: “Another example is somebody who takes a train from London to Liverpool and gets the return train back. That’s not normal. That’s not what people do.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/police-want-travel-card-data-track-suspicious-rail-passengers-latest-cbh88zqkt

BIB - Actually I've done similar journeys, clients and suppliers have busy lives, and the only time I could discuss stuff with them was on a train journey.

They can indeed coitus off. 'Thats not normal'..... and? Plod trying to criminalise eccentricity, hobbies, doing things just because. Fuckers.
    Think that's bad? I once spent a year on a walk, only to end up back where I started!. On the way I passed several nuclear installations, military bases and secretive institutions, and took thousands of photos! What mischief I must have been doing!

There's actually a problem already: railway enthusiasts who have been standing (legally) taking photos of trains have been harassed by the police or station staff, and even told they cannot take photos. Whilst there may occasionally be reasons to prevent people taking certain photos, it does seem most incidents are just jobsworthys.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/had-problems-taking-pictures-of-the-railways.17241/
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    El American
    @ElAmerican_
    ·
    2h
    #BREAKING |
    @KariLake
    is the projected winner of the Arizona GOP Primary according to sources.

https://twitter.com/ElAmerican_/status/1554746746001039361?s=20&t=VogxfiVVJJcAckGDpUxU3Q

UNFURL THE BLACK FLAGS, IT IS TIME
    DDHQ hasn't called it yet.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Looks like the MAGA brigade have done well in Arizona.
  • kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, I was aware of that Truss fandom for Savile. Bit surprised it hasn't been raised before now.

Because it’s moronic to think that tweet means anything? Are you suggesting that Truss knew Savile was a dirty necrophiliac paedo and still decided to give him a positive word upon his death?
    Course not. But it's a bit dim to say it means NOTHING or to not expect dirty tricks in election campaigns. To me it means she was oblivious to the rumours and dark aura around Jimmy Savile and - worse - is the sort of person who found him an attractive benign persona. This speaks to bad judgement. Not some sort of gamechanger - since there's far more important and relevant and recent evidence of her bad judgement - but, you know, it doesn't look great. Hence why, as I say, I'd have semi expected it to have been dug up and aired before now.
    Unusual to see you digging so assiduously in so deep a hole. Just search Jimmy Savile tributes and be amazed at the outpourings. Prince of Wales, DG BBC, bloody everyone. With, with hindsight, some notable exceptions - Downing Street kept very quiet. But he is a fellow Leeds local of Truss, and Always in good spirits is pretty restrained stuff. Nothing to see here.
    Maybe she flipped it out on autopilot because of the local link. We can't know. But I don't agree it's a total nothing. Not a big deal, sure, but neither a nothing. If we imagine the evidence for her bad judgement as a large wobbly cake this is a bit of sugar sprinkled on top.
    Sir Jimmy Savile's home city is putting aside three days to celebrate the performer's life, with fun, bling and tributes to his trademark wackiness.

Just about everyone in Leeds has benefited from the millions he raised for local hospitals – or just being shunted around on the trolleys he pushed on his weekly stint as an NHS porter – and a homespun version of lying in state will start the ceremonies on Tuesday. Savile's 15 nephews and nieces have agreed to local pressure for his gold-coloured coffin to stand for a day in the Queen's hotel, close to the clubs where he started his career as a DJ.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/nov/08/leeds-pays-tribute-jimmy-savile

Read the rest of it too, and marvel.

Liz was like a secret UK doubter in a Sunak premiership. No choice but outward conformity
    Amazing, yes. And I guess this does open up a new - and better for Truss - way of looking at things. She *wasn't* on board with the Savile persona but because her town was his town and a place where he was venerated she felt she couldn't go against this - or even say nothing - so what she did was damn him with the faint praise of "always looked cheerful". Not saying I'm 100% persuaded by this but I will be having a think about it.
    I for one cannot fucking wait to read your proclamation on it following your period of reflection

You're my moral bannister
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,145
    ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

As the vaccine programme has already shown us, the benefits of Brexit feedoms (or any freedoms) cannot be 'sought'; they happen. In that regard, they're a bit like lifeboats on an Ocean liner. You don't walk past them sneering and challenge the crew to find a use for them; you're just glad they're there.
    Vaccine roll-out ≠ a benefit of Brexit. We were perfectly at liberty to do our own thing while in the EU.
    You come across as silly saying this because you know perfectly well how it would have played out. Just admit that there have been some items in the plus column but you think there are far more negatives.
    That's simply wrong, and disregards the awkward squad relationship we always had with the EU as members. It would have depended entirely on the PM at the time.
    Had we not voted for Brexit and there been any realistic contender as PM other than Johnson than it’s very clear we have been in the eu procurement scheme. Starmer was making political hay about how reckless the govt was being even AFTER Brexit.

It was a win in the Brexit column. As it turned out it had a fairly fleeting impact because of the extreme hesitation in 2021 to lift all restrictions after the win, and the silly unjustifiable reimposition of them upon omicron. But the uk vaccine procurement no doubt did save lives.
    There is a big plot hole in the "Brexit helped us with the vaccines" story. The UK would have most likely, like a couple of other EU members, decided to do it's own thing even tho part of the EU had we voted to Remain.
    No, the vax story plot hole is that if it were not for Brexit, the EMA would still be (more-or-less) the MHRA.
    Indeed. I know people from the MHRA. It was an area we were genuinely "world beating" in, and genuinely enabled further inward investment in pharma and devices. Fatboi and his cronies really fucked that one up. Fuck business he said.
    What happened to that national vaccine research/manufacturing centre, BTW, the one that was going to be a permanent positive legacy of covid? I've not been keeping my eye on that.
    I think it's been sold off (assuming this is the same place)

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-61011189

Thanks. So much for Johnsonian promises.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    edited August 2022

So Kansas has voted pro abortion rights:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/08/02/us/elections/results-kansas-abortion-amendment.html

Which means that repealing RvW is working as it should do and perhaps not how some of the GOP expected.

The government interfering with women's bodies crowd were absolutely smashed in that vote. 59-41 in a State that Trump won in 2020 by 56-42.
    Yes, the Kansas vote is a smidgen of good news, a beacon of light, in the morass of bad news that we have been subjected to in recent times.
    Terrific news. And Kansas is nobody's idea of a hotbed of radical leftist wokery. "If you're going to Topeka City, you'd better wear ..." No.

However the good tidings are tempered by loonytunes Trumpite GOP candidates doing pretty well in primaries. Might help the Dems do better in November than they otherwise would but that's a small comfort.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,247
    edited August 2022
    Driver said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    El American
    @ElAmerican_
    ·
    2h
    #BREAKING |
    @KariLake

https://twitter.com/ElAmerican_/status/1554746746001039361?s=20&t=VogxfiVVJJcAckGDpUxU3Q

Apparently the votes left to be counted are likely to favour Lake. So it is going to be close but she is probably the winner. She is certainly acting like the winner

However this is state level party level American politics and I am a foreigner, and might be missing nuance - or deception

Watching her career so far is like watching the movie Alien. You first glimpse the monster when it bursts out of John Hurt's chest - and it is ghastly, yet only the size of a rat

This is the bit where they find the sloughed alien skin, and they realise is is growing. Fast.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

nova said:

Tory leadership race ‘where we are’ update.

Surely we'll end up with the likes of Richard Littlejohn and Jeremy Clarkson in deradicalisation programmes?

You'd be hard to find a group who spend more time professing hate for this country than middle-aged (or elderly now) male newspaper columnists.
    Jeremy Clarkson is barely a year older than me, so let's all laugh at your foolish error in describing him as elderly.
    Look in the mirror old man...
    Malfunction, can only see some fucked up old arse who hasn't shaved for a week
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    Given the increased risks involved, this indicates some urgency in targeting Russian positions. Possibly related to the counteroffensive.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1554775390123687937
    Rare footage of no less than four M142 HIMARS in action, firing 24 M31A1 GMLRS unitary rockets at Russian targets.

This footage is notable not just for the quantity but also the daytime usage of HIMARS. Note the Ukrainian soldier with possible MANPADS to the left.
    Leon said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    El American
    @ElAmerican_
    ·
    2h
    #BREAKING |
    @KariLake

Apparently the votes left to be counted are likely to favour Lake. So it is going to be close but she is probably the winner. She is certainly acting like the winner
    That looks like my view too; however, DDHQ are proud of their early calls so there must be some uncertainty that they're worried about. I gather Lake did better in election day votes than early votes, but I'm not sure how significant that would be.
    This looks like something cooked up by Clarkson, back in the Top Gear glory days.
    https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1554768789253656576
    Where would people assess the odds for the Tory race. I'd revise my 1-10/10-1 to 1-15/15-1 given Truss' huge lead with Yougov.

If you believe Techne though, you have to be balls deep on Rishi, I don't.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited August 2022
    kinabalu said:

So Kansas has voted pro abortion rights:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/08/02/us/elections/results-kansas-abortion-amendment.html

Which means that repealing RvW is working as it should do and perhaps not how some of the GOP expected.

The government interfering with women's bodies crowd were absolutely smashed in that vote. 59-41 in a State that Trump won in 2020 by 56-42.
    Yes, the Kansas vote is a smidgen of good news, a beacon of light, in the morass of bad news that we have been subjected to in recent times.
    Terrific news. And Kansas is nobody's idea of a hotbed of radical leftist wokery. "If you're going to Topeka City, you'd better wear ..." No.

However the good tidings are tempered by loonytunes Trumpite GOP candidates doing pretty well in primaries. Might help the Dems do better in November than they otherwise would but that's a small comfort.
    Kansas is normally Republican but not hardline conservative, it voted for LBJ over Goldwater in 1964 and has a Democrat governor for example. So the result is not that surprising.

The most anti abortion states in the US are in the deep South and border states not the Midwest plain states
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    That's nothing

Prior to StackOverflow the default site to finding IT solutions was Experts Exchange

And yes there was no hyphen in their website ExpertSexChange.com

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, I was aware of that Truss fandom for Savile. Bit surprised it hasn't been raised before now.

Because it’s moronic to think that tweet means anything? Are you suggesting that Truss knew Savile was a dirty necrophiliac paedo and still decided to give him a positive word upon his death?
    Course not. But it's a bit dim to say it means NOTHING or to not expect dirty tricks in election campaigns. To me it means she was oblivious to the rumours and dark aura around Jimmy Savile and - worse - is the sort of person who found him an attractive benign persona. This speaks to bad judgement. Not some sort of gamechanger - since there's far more important and relevant and recent evidence of her bad judgement - but, you know, it doesn't look great. Hence why, as I say, I'd have semi expected it to have been dug up and aired before now.
    Unusual to see you digging so assiduously in so deep a hole. Just search Jimmy Savile tributes and be amazed at the outpourings. Prince of Wales, DG BBC, bloody everyone. With, with hindsight, some notable exceptions - Downing Street kept very quiet. But he is a fellow Leeds local of Truss, and Always in good spirits is pretty restrained stuff. Nothing to see here.
    Maybe she flipped it out on autopilot because of the local link. We can't know. But I don't agree it's a total nothing. Not a big deal, sure, but neither a nothing. If we imagine the evidence for her bad judgement as a large wobbly cake this is a bit of sugar sprinkled on top.
    Sir Jimmy Savile's home city is putting aside three days to celebrate the performer's life, with fun, bling and tributes to his trademark wackiness.

Just about everyone in Leeds has benefited from the millions he raised for local hospitals – or just being shunted around on the trolleys he pushed on his weekly stint as an NHS porter – and a homespun version of lying in state will start the ceremonies on Tuesday. Savile's 15 nephews and nieces have agreed to local pressure for his gold-coloured coffin to stand for a day in the Queen's hotel, close to the clubs where he started his career as a DJ.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/nov/08/leeds-pays-tribute-jimmy-savile

Read the rest of it too, and marvel.

Liz was like a secret UK doubter in a Sunak premiership. No choice but outward conformity
    Amazing, yes. And I guess this does open up a new - and better for Truss - way of looking at things. She *wasn't* on board with the Savile persona but because her town was his town and a place where he was venerated she felt she couldn't go against this - or even say nothing - so what she did was damn him with the faint praise of "always looked cheerful". Not saying I'm 100% persuaded by this but I will be having a think about it.
    I for one cannot fucking wait to read your proclamation on it following your period of reflection

You're my moral bannister
    Sniffing sarcasm here - which is fine - but I do genuinely like to parse things properly before putting an opinion in my "done" box. Plenty reside in the box next to it - labelled "under review" - and this Truss Savile affair has now gone in there.
    Got to give the F1 teams an A for their social media presence

Look at Hamilton's face here

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1554780584215564289
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    El American
    @ElAmerican_
    ·
    2h
    #BREAKING |
    @KariLake

She would have hoped for a much bigger lead than that though, especially if some of her primary opponent's voters then vote Democrat in November.

Remember Biden won Arizona in 2020, it is not really Trump country
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    El American
    @ElAmerican_
    ·
    2h
    #BREAKING |
    @KariLake

She would have hoped for a much bigger lead than that though, especially if some of her primary opponent's voters then vote Democrat in November.

Biden won by 0.3% in 2020. Its a hyper marginal state
    edited August 2022

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

How is that tweet 'fandom'?

People *liked* Saville, and he had successfully fought off allegations about the truth in court. Read those obituaries I posted from the day after she posted that tweet.

If you want to go the other way, just look at Tom Watson's vile campaigns.
    Airing gushing public praise for a celeb isn't fandom iyo? Well there are serviceable alternatives, I suppose.
    You and I have very different definitions of 'gushing' and 'fandom', then.

As I said, read the obituaries from the day after he died (the day after her tweet).
    Obituaries are slightly different though. They're a 'formal' thing with an etiquette of stressing the positives. The person writing them is usually just doing a job of work.
    Just read the other comments made at the time, then. He was not seen as being evil at that time, so what's wrong with posting a minor personal anecdote about him when he died?

I have a personal anecdote about Bernie Ecclestone. It is a positive, pleasant one about him. Yet I always temper it with the fact I realise he is (at best) controversial, and at worst a raving sh**bag. If he were to die, and if I was active on Twitter, I'd probably post it in a positive manner.
    As stated, my opinion - that it's evidence of her bad judgement - is under review. In the meantime you've got me well curious about this 'you and Bernie Ecclestone' story. Is there a way to hear it BEFORE he dies? - since it looks like he'll make 110 at least.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Nigelb said:

Given the increased risks involved, this indicates some urgency in targeting Russian positions. Possibly related to the counteroffensive.

Rare footage of no less than four M142 HIMARS in action, firing 24 M31A1 GMLRS unitary rockets at Russian targets.

This footage is notable not just for the quantity but also the daytime usage of HIMARS. Note the Ukrainian soldier with possible MANPADS to the left.

It's strange. Because the HIMARS can reload anywhere, and the rockets are GPS guided, there's no need to have them in the same place even if they're firing at the same target.

The only reason I can think of is if they were firing at a target right at the limit of their range, and they only had one moderately safe place near the front line to fire from.

Maybe this was striking the railway as far towards Crimea as possible?
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    Carnyx said:

nova said:

Tory leadership race ‘where we are’ update.

Surely we'll end up with the likes of Richard Littlejohn and Jeremy Clarkson in deradicalisation programmes?

You'd be hard to find a group who spend more time professing hate for this country than middle-aged (or elderly now) male newspaper columnists.
    Also a grammatical howler in that tweet. Never try to make a singular noun conform to a plural pronoun - find some other wording to get around it ("We make a great country" for instance).
    She's using "country" as a collective noun. You're being hypercorrect and far more strict than Ernest Gowers ever was. Nobody says "the United States have decided..."

As for "extreme hatred", the use of that term makes me think of Andrei Vyshinsky. Hatred is always extreme. There is no such thing as mild hatred.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,764
    edited August 2022

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    El American
    @ElAmerican_
    ·
    2h
    #BREAKING |
    @KariLake

Tsk, another non believer. 😜
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    eek said:

That's nothing

Prior to StackOverflow the default site to finding IT solutions was Experts Exchange

And yes there was no hyphen in their website ExpertSexChange.com
    I remember seeing a list of unfortunate website names, many of them made up, I think, although also including that one.

- Pen Island
    - PowerGen Italia

Nigelb said:

It's strange. Because the HIMARS can reload anywhere, and the rockets are GPS guided, there's no need to have them in the same place even if they're firing at the same target.

The only reason I can think of is if they were firing at a target right at the limit of their range, and they only had one moderately safe place near the front line to fire from.

It does suggest that they are not exactly running scared of the Russian airforce and are willing to create such a tempting target for the sake of a video. The lack of use of airpower by the Russians in this war for anything other than random bombing of civilian targets is one of its strangest aspects. Suggests to me that the difference between their actual and paper strength is very considerable.

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    El American
    @ElAmerican_
    ·
    2h
    #BREAKING |
    @KariLake

Yes and Kari Lake may ensure most suburban swing voters go Democrat again in that hyper marginal state
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

People *liked* Saville, and he had successfully fought off allegations about the truth in court. Read those obituaries I posted from the day after she posted that tweet.

Airing gushing public praise for a celeb isn't fandom iyo? Well there are serviceable alternatives, I suppose.

As I said, read the obituaries from the day after he died (the day after her tweet).
    Obituaries are slightly different though. They're a 'formal' thing with an etiquette of stressing the positives. The person writing them is usually just doing a job of work.
    Just read the other comments made at the time, then. He was not seen as being evil at that time, so what's wrong with posting a minor personal anecdote about him when he died?

I have a personal anecdote about Bernie Ecclestone. It is a positive, pleasant one about him. Yet I always temper it with the fact I realise he is (at best) controversial, and at worst a raving sh**bag. If he were to die, and if I was active on Twitter, I'd probably post it in a positive manner.
    As stated, my opinion - that it's evidence of her bad judgement - is under review. In the meantime you've got me well curious about this 'you and Bernie Ecclestone' story. Is there a way to hear it BEFORE he dies? - since it looks like he'll make 110 at least.
    It was just sweet/amusing. I was waiting to see someone, when an elderly (to me!) casually-dressed man came into the waiting room alone. He asked if I would mind if he went in before me, and he would just be five minutes. I agreed, and whilst we waited we ended up chatting about concrete, which he seemed quite knowledgeable about.

Halfway through the conversation, I realised it was Bernie Ecclestone - which made sense given the context of where we were. So I was talking to one of the richest men in the country about concrete! There was no obvious retinue, no glam, no nonsense. Just me and him talking about an utterly random topic.

He didn't seem nasty; didn't seem nice. Just pleasantly normal.

And no, I didn't ask him for a loan...
    TfL's funding agreement with the Government has expired with no new plan in place

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/tfls-funding-package-with-the-government-has-expired-56514/

No short term immediate issues but there are medium to long term ones...
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

It does suggest that they are not exactly running scared of the Russian airforce and are willing to create such a tempting target for the sake of a video. The lack of use of airpower by the Russians in this war for anything other than random bombing of civilian targets is one of its strangest aspects. Suggests to me that the difference between their actual and paper strength is very considerable.
    Even so, you don't take many such risks unnecessarily.
    Russia are desperate to take out the HIMARS - evidenced by their repeated fake claims of doing so. And they have had some success in knocking out other Ukrainian artillery.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

Nigelb said:

Here we have a plausible target that seems to have been hit recently at the extreme limit of HIMARS range. So that would plausibly be the target for the HIMARS in the video.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kromark/status/1554780674829295618
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    El American
    @ElAmerican_
    ·
    2h
    #BREAKING |
    @KariLake

Yes and Kari Lake may ensure most suburban swing voters go Democrat again in that hyper marginal state
    She might. Things have moved against the democrats since 2020 however
    Every picture Russia has released showing 'destroyed HIMARS' has been of something else. There were a couple of close lookalike trucks (used to tow the M777 howitzers) that got their groupies very excited.

Pentagon denied Russian Def Min Shouigu's claims that Russian troops ostensibly destroyed 6 HIMARS in Ukraine

"We are aware of these latest claims by Minister Shoigu and they are again patently false," said Todd Breasseale, Pentagon's acting spokesman

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1554783133752598528
    This is great. If you like jazz.

https://twitter.com/tedgioia/status/1554788389240569857
    I’ll talk to the BBC later today about the petition to get Duke Ellington the ⁦Pulitzer he was denied in 1965.

Meanwhile the @nytimes shares “5 Minutes That Will Make You Love Duke Ellington.”
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Russia are desperate to take out the HIMARS - evidenced by their repeated fake claims of doing so. And they have had some success in knocking out other Ukrainian artillery.
    Maybe these are hidden underground very near where these pictures were taken and it was to ensure the shortest period of time that they were exposed in daylight but, even then, to have them in the radius of a single hit is very odd.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    El American
    @ElAmerican_
    ·
    2h
    #BREAKING |
    @KariLake

I would expect the House to go GOP in November certainly.

However who wins Senate and governors races will depend in large part on which candidate the parties nominated
  • The rozzers can coitus off.

Police should be able to monitor passengers who spend hours on the railway network in case they are pickpockets or sex offenders — or are in need of help — a chief constable has said.

Lucy D’Orsi, the head of the British Transport Police, wants to track Oyster and bank cards to spot “anomalous behaviour” and focus police resources on it.

She told Policing TV: “An example I gave recently is somebody who’s travelling the [London] Underground for six hours. So they tap in and they tap out six hours later? Why is that? Possibly vulnerable, possibly a pickpocket, possibly a predatory sex offender.”

Police can ask Transport for London and Network Rail for specific travel information on a suspect but do not have access to generic information about passenger movements.

D’Orsi said she wanted to look at using data in a “better way”. She added: “Another example is somebody who takes a train from London to Liverpool and gets the return train back. That’s not normal. That’s not what people do.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/police-want-travel-card-data-track-suspicious-rail-passengers-latest-cbh88zqkt

BIB - Actually I've done similar journeys, clients and suppliers have busy lives, and the only time I could discuss stuff with them was on a train journey.

A schoolmate once had to entertain a cousin visiting London from somewhere 'up north'. He offered to tahe him to all the sights but it turned out all the guy wanted to do was ride the Underground. He was particularly fond of the Circle line. It was utter tedium for my friend, but endless hours of fun for the cousin.

They would surely have been arrested under these insane proposals.
    My brother did some sort of challenge of trying to ride the entire Underground network in a single day.

Anyone a little bit unusual shouldn't have to put up with police harassment.
    I've heard of people attempting that before. Apparently it's very difficult.
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Maybe these are hidden underground very near where these pictures were taken and it was to ensure the shortest period of time that they were exposed in daylight but, even then, to have them in the radius of a single hit is very odd.
    They can move pretty quickly, though.
    So the risk isn't extreme if you don't do it too often.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,620
    Nigelb said:

Driver said:

I'd never heard of Policing TV, so I googled it. Apparently their slogan is "global progressive policing" - god alone knows what's "progressive" about this nonsense.
    Progressively more authoritarian ?
    I think it was Michael Howard who observed that a responsibility of the Home Secretary was to bin the pile of demented authoritarian proposals that would be brought out after a serious incident.

Apparently there was various characters in the Home Office, each with their own hideous idea, that they keep pushing.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    El American
    @ElAmerican_
    ·
    2h
    #BREAKING |
    @KariLake

I think the GOP are taking Wisconsin and Arizona. The state everything will come down to is Georgia - which if the election were to be conducted fairly would be a Democrat win - but with the GOP controlling the state legislature, state courts, the 11th circuit federal and SCOTUS it'll probably be robbed and stuck in the GOP column.

A schoolmate once had to entertain a cousin visiting London from somewhere 'up north'. He offered to tahe him to all the sights but it turned out all the guy wanted to do was ride the Underground. He was particularly fond of the Circle line. It was utter tedium for my friend, but endless hours of fun for the cousin.

They'll be arresting thousands this winter as old people travel all day on public transport to keep warm.
    That's quite an appealing thought. They could be incarcerated on the Circle Line for months on end. They would mostly be Tory voters, so an appropriate punishment for them, rather like one of Dante's circles of purgatory. Extreme cases should be made to read the Daily Mail until their eyes blister.

Their crime? Being poor, of course.

My brother did some sort of challenge of trying to ride the entire Underground network in a single day.

The record is 15:45:38, although that predates the Battersea Power Station extension opening: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_Challenge

As I understand it, you need to start very early in the morning at one of the far-outlying stations, usually at Heathrow.

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It was just sweet/amusing. I was waiting to see someone, when an elderly (to me!) casually-dressed man came into the waiting room alone. He asked if I would mind if he went in before me, and he would just be five minutes. I agreed, and whilst we waited we ended up chatting about concrete, which he seemed quite knowledgeable about.

Halfway through the conversation, I realised it was Bernie Ecclestone - which made sense given the context of where we were. So I was talking to one of the richest men in the country about concrete! There was no obvious retinue, no glam, no nonsense. Just me and him talking about an utterly random topic.

Great story! But of course there's nothing normal about him really. He's a super shrewdie who uses any angle to get what he wants - note here how he manipulated your psyche to give him your rightful slot in the queue.

ISTR there are various attempts online - including one by Geoff Marshall. I don't know if anyone's done it since the Battersea branch and Crossrail (does the count as the underground?) opened earlier this year.

I'm guessing they are also incel virgins.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

DavidL said:

So, faster growth, record exports, full employment, higher wages. It's been a disaster right enough.

You must live on a different planet from me. Sainsbury's had empty shelves yesterday and the day before. When I asked they just said that stuff had not arrived. With a wry smile the guy told me that they were getting used it :open_mouth:
    Even the Guardian gave up pretending that the supermarkets have empty shelves last year.
    I was not standing in front of the newspaper section, I was trying to do my grocery shop!

Empty shelves in meat and bakery. On the good news front, yesterday's empty veg shelves were better stocked this morning, but meat and bakery were even lower on stock

ISTR there are various attempts online - including one by Geoff Marshall. I don't know if anyone's done it since the Battersea branch and Crossrail (does the count as the underground?) opened earlier this year.
    Crossrail doesn't count. Nor does the Overground - when the East London Line was converted to the Overground the challenge became fractionally easier.
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

They can move pretty quickly, though.
    So the risk isn't extreme if you don't do it too often.
    But as you say yourself, why run the risk at all? The use of these weapons is clearly hurting the Russians a lot, When you see headlines like this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62389537 you realise that the west is running quite a dangerous game here. If Putin thinks he has lost as a result of direct intervention by the US and indeed the UK we are going to be entering a very high risk period indeed. This article makes that point: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-62381425

The war is not waiting for us to get a PM. By the end of this month if the Russian forces in Kherson are being forced to surrender we may be facing the highest risk of nuclear war since the Cuban Missile crisis. It is troubling.
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Great story! But of course there's nothing normal about him really. He's a super shrewdie who uses any angle to get what he wants - note here how he manipulated your psyche to give him your rightful slot in the queue.
    TBF he asked me the moment he came in, before I had any inkling of who he was. It was just a "I just need to see the prof. for a few minutes. Mind if I barge in?" The sort of thing I'd agree to all the time if I'm not in a hurry. I do wonder what he'd have done if I'd refused... ;)

Of course he isn't 'normal': you can't do what he did and be normal. But I think he can (or could?) be very down-to-earth. Which, given his background, makes some sense.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

The enemy has completely failed to achieve air superiority. The Ukranians have handheld surface-to-air missiles everywhere, and have shot down a couple of hundred enemy planes so far. Very much the paper bear.
    Driver said:

Crossrail doesn't count. Nor does the Overground - when the East London Line was converted to the Overground the challenge became fractionally easier.
    So Crossrail, which is underground in central London, is not Underground, whilst vast parts of the Underground network are overground but not Overground... ;)
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    ⚡️ Forbes: Ukraine shot down $91 million worth of Russian missiles on Aug. 2.

Russia launched eight Kh-101 missiles on Ukraine on Aug. 2.

Seven of them were shot down, including 6 by anti-aircraft missile forces and one by an Air Force fighter jet, Ukraine's Air Force reported.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1554791693089636358

Russia is also having a very large number of cruise missiles intercepted. I believe these are launched from bombers near the Caspian Sea. These missiles are powered by Ukrainian built engines. I'm guessing once they are gone they are gone.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Driver said:

The record is 15:45:38, although that predates the Battersea Power Station extension opening: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_Challenge

As I understand it, you need to start very early in the morning at one of the far-outlying stations, usually at Heathrow.
    Reminds me of a board game we once had. The London Game. You had to visit half a dozen random underground stations to win. With the usual chance cards and stuff.
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

The enemy has completely failed to achieve air superiority. The Ukranians have handheld surface-to-air missiles everywhere, and have shot down a couple of hundred enemy planes so far. Very much the paper bear.
    This is one of the perplexing things for me. The Russians should have been able to easily get air superiority by taking out the Uke's high-altitude SAM systems, and then operated above the range of the hand-held SAM systems.

I've seen it claimed that the reason is that the Russian air force is terrible at precision targeting from altitude, meaning the planes need to go low to hit a target - right into SAM range. Possibly because they haven't developed a Litening-style targeting pod - or at least fielded one in quantity.

If so, it is a classic example of going for the sexy things ("Look! We have a 5th Generation Fighter!") whilst missing the unsexy but really important things.

Driver said:

So Crossrail, which is underground in central London, is not Underground, whilst vast parts of the Underground network are overground but not Overground... ;)
    At Whitechapel the Underground passes over the Overground.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Driver said:

Womblin free!.....
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62404611

Premier League players will stop the pre-match anti-racism gesture of taking the knee before every match.

The gesture will instead be seen before certain rounds of games, including the Boxing Day fixtures and cup finals.

Players and staff will also take the knee before the first and last matches of the 2022-23 campaign as well as dedicated No Room for Racism match rounds in October and March.
    dixiedean said:

Driver said:

Reminds me of a board game we once had. The London Game. You had to visit half a dozen random underground stations to win. With the usual chance cards and stuff.
    Yeah, I remember playing that as a kid. Also one called Scotland Yard which was also transport based.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046
    Leon said:

lol

Kari Lake is claiming election fraud, EVEN THO SHE'S PROBABLY GOING TO WIN

The Trumpites really are out there, living on Planet Special

Why would winning mean there was no election fraud?
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    After another awful night for the country club republicans vs the Trumpists, is this now a voter class the Dems might be have half an eye on?

Could the Dems get some cashmere sweater wearing votes if they are aggressive enough with China and Russia??

Is this the agenda behind Pelosi's visit??

I've done a similar journey, albeit over a smaller distance, as a result of a misunderstanding.

The last thing I would need would be having to prove to the police it was entirely innocent and nothing to do with the delivery of narcotics.
    I once wanted to go to the newspaper archives at (I think) Dalston but got it wrong and went to the opposite end of the Northern Line. Got off and no newspaper archives could be seen.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,703
    tlg86 said:

Premier League players will stop the pre-match anti-racism gesture of taking the knee before every match.

The gesture will instead be seen before certain rounds of games, including the Boxing Day fixtures and cup finals.

Players and staff will also take the knee before the first and last matches of the 2022-23 campaign as well as dedicated No Room for Racism match rounds in October and March.

Great to see EPL Soccer stars have solved racism in society so we no longer need this gesture in solidarity with the BAME community.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    MISTY said:

After another awful night for the country club republicans vs the Trumpists, is this now a voter class the Dems might be have half an eye on?

Could the Dems get some cashmere sweater wearing votes if they are aggressive enough with China and Russia??

Pelosi is a long term and consistent anti-PRC hawk. From well before it was at all fashionable.
    She unfurled a banner in Tiananmen Square more than 30 years ago, causing quite an incident.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Great to see EPL Soccer stars have solved racism in society so we no longer need this gesture in solidarity with the BAME community.
    I assume the England team will take the knee during the World Cup. And Kane will wear a rainbow armband:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/harry-kane-england-germany-euro-2020-b1874958.html
  • Betfair next prime minister
    1.13 Liz Truss 88%
    8.4 Rishi Sunak 12%

Next Conservative leader
    1.13 Liz Truss 88%
    8.2 Rishi Sunak 12%

Betfair next prime minister
    1.13 Liz Truss 88%
    8.8 Rishi Sunak 11%

Next Conservative leader
    1.13 Liz Truss 88%
    8.8 Rishi Sunak 11%
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    dixiedean said:

Driver said:

Excellent game. The Great Game of Britain was another good one in the same vein. ("Giant's Causeway. I'm doomed.")
    Driver said:

But not in the time frame that was previously available after TfL changed how trains to Amersham and Chesham run ...

New records should be possible / achievable now that the new stations at Battersea and Nine Elms have opened.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,168

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

I'd never heard of Policing TV, so I googled it. Apparently their slogan is "global progressive policing" - god alone knows what's "progressive" about this nonsense.
    I think it was Michael Howard who observed that a responsibility of the Home Secretary was to bin the pile of demented authoritarian proposals that would be brought out after a serious incident.

Apparently there was various characters in the Home Office, each with their own hideous idea, that they keep pushing.
    It’s unfortunate that we can’t true today’s Conservatives to do the same!

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TBF he asked me the moment he came in, before I had any inkling of who he was. It was just a "I just need to see the prof. for a few minutes. Mind if I barge in?" The sort of thing I'd agree to all the time if I'm not in a hurry. I do wonder what he'd have done if I'd refused... ;)

Of course he isn't 'normal': you can't do what he did and be normal. But I think he can (or could?) be very down-to-earth. Which, given his background, makes some sense.
    It's when he doesn't get his way that he becomes an interesting psychological study.

I don't think the ECHR should have got involved in our deportation system, and I don't think they should be involved in the desperately sad Batersbee case.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,454
    eek said:

TfL's funding agreement with the Government has expired with no new plan in place

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/tfls-funding-package-with-the-government-has-expired-56514/

No short term immediate issues but there are medium to long term ones...

Introduce a £50 surcharge for using Westminster station.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Pelosi is a long term and consistent anti-PRC hawk. From well before it was at all fashionable.
    She unfurled a banner in Tiananmen Square more than 30 years ago, causing quite an incident.
    Sorry to lower the tone, but she was quite a looker..

I was going to say only in the US.... but on reflection, she'd have lost in our courts, too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AriCohn/status/1554590244107845632
    Demon Sperm Doctor Stella Immanuel loses her defamation suit against CNN for many reasons, not least of which is: it's not defamatory to quote stupid things you've said; if your own words make you look like you're unfit to be an MD, stop saying crazy shit.

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.
    edited August 2022
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.
    There's something weird about that photo that makes it look like the lower half of her face does not belong to the upper half. Cover the top, and the mouth and chin look normal, cover the mouth and chin and the nose and eyes look normal.

I guess it is unfortunate make-up and lighting.

(ETA: I was intending to comment on the photography; apologies as I shouldn't be commenting on her appearance, which I realise is the net effect of my post.)
    "...Taiwan president Tsai Ing-wen honoured Pelosi, the US House speaker, with the Order of Propitious Clouds with Special Grand Cordon..."
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/03/nancy-pelosis-taiwan-award-what-is-the-order-of-propitious-clouds
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

That's quite an appealing thought. They could be incarcerated on the Circle Line for months on end. They would mostly be Tory voters, so an appropriate punishment for them, rather like one of Dante's circles of purgatory. Extreme cases should be made to read the Daily Mail until their eyes blister.

The writer Jasper Fforde imagines a prison in his books where people are sentenced to temporal loop confinement. They spend their sentence in the checkout queue of a T K Max store, forever...
    Pulpstar said:

I don't think the ECHR should have got involved in our deportation system, and I don't think they should be involved in the desperately sad Batersbee case.

I doubt they want to be but the parents are turning anywhere they can to delay the inevitable...

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

It’s unfortunate that we can’t true today’s Conservatives to do the same!
    TRUST, not “true”. Sorry. Bloody iPad.
    mwadams said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.
    There's something weird about that photo that makes it look like the lower half of her face does not belong to the upper half. Cover the top, and the mouth and chin look normal, cover the mouth and chin and the nose and eyes look normal.

(ETA: I was intending to comment on the photography; apologies as I shouldn't be commenting on her appearance, which I realise is the net effect of my post.)
    One of the eyes is open far wider than the other. It's probably due to the hair over one. It makes her look insane. She's very pretty though.
  • Scott_xP said:

The writer Jasper Fforde imagines a prison in his books where people are sentenced to temporal loop confinement. They spend their sentence in the checkout queue of a T K Max store, forever...
    That is indeed my idea of hell.

mwadams said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.

One of the eyes is open far wider than the other. It's probably due to the hair over one. It makes her look insane. She's very pretty though.
    Have you see young Nadine Dorries? https://twitter.com/nadinedorries/status/1260264767027122176

• Driver said:

We should sponsor Sunil to do it. Release him when the cock crows and see how far he gets.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    edited August 2022
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.
    She looks great, like Pat Benetar in her heyday.

Only true Conservatives can see through the Satanic eyes of Socialists (and Democrats).
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

Scott_xP said:

Mine would be motorway traffic queues.

mwadams said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.

Have you see young Nadine Dorries? https://twitter.com/nadinedorries/status/1260264767027122176

She's still young to some on here...

mwadams said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.

Nadine Dorries is an attractive woman still imo.
    mwadams said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.

Why shouldn't you be commenting on her appearance?
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    edited August 2022
    Taz said:

tlg86 said:

BAME is so 2020 - need to keep up with woke language!

As for the football gesture well no surprise to see somebody committee(ing) it to the level of an administrative directive saying when it can and cannot be done - just get rid of it FFS

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.

Only true Conservatives can see through the Satanic eyes of Socialists (and Democrats).
    There's a picture of a young Pelosi with JFK, where she looks absolutely stunning. Someone posted it on here a few weeks back, I think.

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.

There's a picture of a young Pelosi with JFK, where she looks absolutely stunning. Someone posted it on here a few weeks back, I think.
    This one: https://www.facebook.com/NancyPelosi/photos/to-this-day-president-kennedys-message-of-hope-inspires-us-to-build-a-better-fut/10155592545489384/ ?

mwadams said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.

The uniform. Was she a stripagram back in the day?
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415

Scott_xP said:

mine would be forced to watch Love Island or Big Brother

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.

This one: https://www.facebook.com/NancyPelosi/photos/to-this-day-president-kennedys-message-of-hope-inspires-us-to-build-a-better-fut/10155592545489384/ ?

I think I may have different standards for 'stunning' than others.

mwadams said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.

Nadine Dorries is an attractive woman still imo.
    mwadams said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.

Why shouldn't you be commenting on her appearance?
    It is, in general, not very kind (and not very productive).

There are many and varied reasons why the culture of commenting on physical appearance is especially detrimental in politics, sport, etc. Even more so when directed at women.
  • Hustings. Cardiff. Tonight. 7pm.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULcLuRx__nI

Other streams will be available but The Sun is first up.
  • I feel the need to post this.

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.

I think I may have different standards for 'stunning' than others.
    There is another pic.
    mwadams said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Her eyes look manic.

It just looks like an uncomfortable staged photo. I have some sympathy in a tiny way. I was once interviewed for a local newspaper, and they brought a photographer and some local worthy for me to meet. So I shook hands with the worthy, and the photographer took some photos. He then changed our positions to get a different background, and took some more photos. After what seemed like an hour and thousands of photos, we were done. The picture they used in the paper has me gurning like a crazy man (*) because I'd been falsely smiling for so long.

I think one of the arts of being famous, or a politician, is to smile and shake hands for long periods without looking like a gurning idiot.

On another note, it's also impressive to see someone very talented work a room. It's a skill I just don't have.

(*) At least more than usual
This discussion has been closed.