Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The latest polling is giving us widely different numbers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

Well there's full employment and good pay rises.

But the Guardian considers them bad things when the private sector working class get them.
    'Good pay rises'? Not in real terms.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    TOPPING said:

Talking of a bounce for the new leader, and following on from my hot take from the membership front line, where I said that all of my mate's friends were for Rishi, I now think that if he gets it (big if, obvs) then he will have a large bounce as people might think (aided by Rishi's team if they know what's good for them) that he was the nice bloke who handed out free money while everyone else was trying to stop him doing so.

If he did get it, he likely get a large bounce simply on the basis of having demonstrated the ability to pull off a near miracle.
    A useful talent in our present situation.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

But the Guardian considers them bad things when the private sector working class get them.
    If FoM were still in place, there would be massive pressure on the minimum wage and housing costs right now, alongside rising unemployment.

The absence of these, of course, doesn’t make the news.
    Counterfactual and unprovable.

I might just as well say: if Labour had won in 2010 the UK would be the leading European economy now.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    Andy_JS said:

Why was no request made to EDF to keep the two nuclears at Hinkley B in service for another two years, rather than shutting them this week and losing a gigawatt of power? A delay was among the options presented in the Government’s “worst-case” modelling for a crisis this winter.

Telegraph

FFS

Boris Johnson asleep on the job?
    You've read Jennifer Arcuri's memoir too.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    As the vaccine programme has already shown us, the benefits of Brexit feedoms (or any freedoms) cannot be 'sought'; they happen. In that regard, they're a bit like lifeboats on an Ocean liner. You don't walk past them sneering and challenge the crew to find a use for them; you're just glad they're there.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    DavidL said:

Oh and there are record exports to the EU, but I can't find that on the list strangely enough.
    Isn’t that mainly due to increased fuel exports due to u-know-what in Ukraine? Not sure how sustainable (arf) that is.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Oh and there are record exports to the EU, but I can't find that on the list strangely enough.
    Yet we told for the sixth consecutive year that the crops are 'rotting in the fields'.

Well those farmers must be both very rich if they can have their crops not be harvested for so long without going bankrupt and also incredibly stupid if they keep planting crops which cannot be harvested.

Or perhaps the 'crops are rotting in the fields' claims have been lies since 2017.

The amount of union jack packaging in the supermarkets suggest that as well.
  • Options

As the vaccine programme has already shown us, the benefits of Brexit feedoms (or any freedoms) cannot be 'sought'; they happen. In that regard, they're a bit like lifeboats on an Ocean liner. You don't walk past them sneering and challenge the crew to find a use for them; you're just glad they're there.
    Vaccine roll-out ≠ a benefit of Brexit. We were perfectly at liberty to do our own thing while in the EU.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Yes, I was aware of that Truss fandom for Savile. Bit surprised it hasn't been raised before now.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280

DavidL said:

Isn’t that mainly due to increased fuel exports due to u-know-what in Ukraine? Not sure how sustainable (arf) that is.

DavidL said:

That is certainly a factor but the ONS's position is that across the board our exports are back to "normal" so far as the EU is concerned. We are sending 6.5% of our electricity production to France this morning. That rate has increased significantly over the last month so there are probably more records to come.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445

Ooh, and there's also not having to ration our gas.
    Now there's a big risk of speaking too soon here of course. We might have a gas free winter. But if we were still in the EU, we definitely would.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Vaccine roll-out ≠ a benefit of Brexit. We were perfectly at liberty to do our own thing while in the EU.
    You come across as silly saying this because you know perfectly well how it would have played out. Just admit that there have been some items in the plus column but you think there are far more negatives.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

You would have thought someone would have spent a while checking Liz's twitter for awkward tweets

How many hours would that take, or if it was to be done in quick time I presume it'd need an IT professional.
    There's (free) software available to download all the tweets from a user's timeline. For someone who knows what they're doing it'd be an hour or so's work to set it up, and then it's running cost-free from then on. It's the sort of thing that every Fleet Street newsroom should have installed tbh.
    Does that erase all, or just between certain dates? One would assume the latter. Not very helpful deleting the Savile one if it wipes your current campaigning tweets.
    Nonono, “download” as in “a tool for a journalist or campaigner to find all Liz Truss’s past tweets and store a copy on their own computer”. Not as in “erase”.

Downloaded as in a copy still exists even after Liz Truss has deleted it from twitter....
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

We've also grown faster than France, Italy or Germany since we left the Single Market:

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02784/

Of course we're scheduled to slow down next year when Sunak's idiotic corporation tax rises kick in.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Yes, I was aware of that Truss fandom for Savile. Bit surprised it hasn't been raised before now.

Because it’s moronic to think that tweet means anything? Are you suggesting that Truss knew Savile was a dirty necrophiliac paedo and still decided to give him a positive word upon his death?
  • Options

Tory leadership race ‘where we are’ update.

If every weekday morning school children saluted the Union flag and prayed to Mrs Thatcher that might be a start.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    kinabalu said:

How is that tweet 'fandom'?

People *liked* Saville, and he had successfully fought off allegations about the truth in court. Read those obituaries I posted from the day after she posted that tweet.

If you want to go the other way, just look at Tom Watson's vile campaigns.
  • Options
    There is a very big international campaign to get people out of farming, emanating afaik from the WEF and dangerous green factions. In The Netherlands they're shutting farms, resulting in mass protests. In the UK it isn't as bad, but the Government is still paying people to leave farming, which is a disgrace. Liz is right and brave to prioritise growing food over solar panels - let's hope that resolve continues once in office.
  • Options

eek said:

You would have thought someone would have spent a while checking Liz's twitter for awkward tweets

I am no Truss fan, but I wonder what saddo found that? There really are people with such sad lives that they spend hours trawling through opponents old tweets from a decade ago to find a tweet that was based on the passing of a celebrity that at that time most people did not know was a pedo.
    Good grief, can you imagine the frothing rage the Sun, Mail and Express would get themselves into if that tweet had been from Starmer?
    QTWAIN.

When he passed it wasn't public knowledge that he was a paedo, that came out post-mortem. That a politician would say RIP to a celebrity is neither here nor there.

What's far more concerning is those who did know or see the evidence he was a paedo but did nothing about it, or covered it up.
    That post is disgraceful.

‘When he passed’ is the sort of euphemistic crap imported from the US that must be fought with might and main. The disgusting old paedo DIED.
    Although it doesn't address the UK/US usage, it's interesting to see 'when he passed' in Google NGrams:
    https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=when+he+passed&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&corpus=26&smoothing=3

Usage dipped down until 1980, then increased.
    Saying 'passed on' or 'passed away' may have come from America, but a very long time ago. It's only 'passed' on its own that's a recent American intruder. It sounds quite stupid really, like they missed a question on Mastermind.
    Passed away apparently started in 15th century England so I don' t think we can blame the Americans for that one.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/278400.html#:~:text=What's the origin of the phrase 'Pass away'?,a dead person was a literal physical event.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

There is a very big international campaign to get people out of farming, emanating afaik from the WEF and dangerous green factions. In The Netherlands they're shutting farms, resulting in mass protests. In the UK it isn't as bad, but the Government is still paying people to leave farming, which is a disgrace. Liz is right and brave to prioritise growing food over solar panels - let's hope that resolve continues once in office.
    Sri Lanka.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Now then, now then!
  • Options

Are they planning to outlaw the SNP ? :smile:

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

Its the road not traveled. Yes we would have been at liberty to do as we did, but many suspect we would have been under pressure to stay within the EU procurement. Indeed even at the time the government was criticized for not going with the EU despite Brexit.

In the end it may seem like it made little difference. I'd suggest that some lives were saved by earlier vaccination, but its impossible to really know.

Those who hate Brexit will say bollocks, those who love Brexit will claim it as a win (there don't seem many wins around to claim right now).
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    moonshine said:

You come across as silly saying this because you know perfectly well how it would have played out. Just admit that there have been some items in the plus column but you think there are far more negatives.
    That's simply wrong, and disregards the awkward squad relationship we always had with the EU as members. It would have depended entirely on the PM at the time.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

I am no Truss fan, but I wonder what saddo found that? There really are people with such sad lives that they spend hours trawling through opponents old tweets from a decade ago to find a tweet that was based on the passing of a celebrity that at that time most people did not know was a pedo.
    Good grief, can you imagine the frothing rage the Sun, Mail and Express would get themselves into if that tweet had been from Starmer?
    QTWAIN.

When he passed it wasn't public knowledge that he was a paedo, that came out post-mortem. That a politician would say RIP to a celebrity is neither here nor there.

What's far more concerning is those who did know or see the evidence he was a paedo but did nothing about it, or covered it up.
    QTWAIN?

You cannot imagine the frothing rage the Sun, Mail and Express would get themselves into if that tweet had been from Starmer?

Along with half of PB.

It's not as though anyone's arguing this is disqualificatory. Though it might prompt those who admire her unfiltered nature to think about the potential downside as well.

What potential downside? She expressed vague sympathy that someone she half knew had died. Why on earth would she, or anyone else, feel the need to cover up this fact after Savile's crimes were revealed? The idea of doing so borders on unhinged.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

kinabalu said:

Now then, now then!
    What’s this about Truss then?

• Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Well, not in the 26 minutes since someone else posted that link.
  • Options

It's a low wage, low skill industry which uses land inefficiently and messes up the environment when done intensively and needs huge amounts of immigrant labour. We should absolutely be out of it, concentrating on industries where we have a comparative advantage instead.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

Because it’s moronic to think that tweet means anything? Are you suggesting that Truss knew Savile was a dirty necrophiliac paedo and still decided to give him a positive word upon his death?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15507826

https://www.channel4.com/news/sir-jimmy-savile-dies-aged-84

ETA and chaz n Mills in the vanguard

https://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/a348210/sir-jimmy-savile-tributes-pour-in/

"Tributes pour in." It was a good year before the truth emerged
  • Options
    Fishing said:

We've also grown faster than France, Italy or Germany since we left the Single Market:

Of course we're scheduled to slow down next year when Sunak's idiotic corporation tax rises kick in.
    The idiotic bit was cutting corporation tax while removing investment allowances.

The end result was a shift from investing in productivity improvements to throwing cheap labour at the problem in the hope for short term profits.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    Nigelb said:

I believe internment camps with compulsory viewing of Dad’s Army and loudspeakers blasting out Vera Lynn are part of the master plan.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

eek said:

QTWAIN.

QTWAIN?

You cannot imagine the frothing rage the Sun, Mail and Express would get themselves into if that tweet had been from Starmer?

Along with half of PB.

It's not as though anyone's arguing this is disqualificatory. Though it might prompt those who admire her unfiltered nature to think about the potential downside as well.

What potential downside? She expressed vague sympathy that someone she half knew had died. Why on earth would she, or anyone else, feel the need to cover up this fact after Savile's crimes were revealed? The idea of doing so borders on unhinged.
    See my comment upthread about her compulsion to say stuff without thinking.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    TOPPING said:

Talking of a bounce for the new leader, and following on from my hot take from the membership front line, where I said that all of my mate's friends were for Rishi, I now think that if he gets it (big if, obvs) then he will have a large bounce as people might think (aided by Rishi's team if they know what's good for them) that he was the nice bloke who handed out free money while everyone else was trying to stop him doing so.

The media are already aiming at that fox.

£17b in BiBs loans paid to organisations that have subsequently gone through the hoop. All media channels were reporting the Scottish guy who spent his £50k loan on two cars, liquidated the company and subsequently won 200 grand in Vegas.

But other than that yes.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Cookie said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

On another note, I so miss the rain. It’s really eating into me now. The drying out of everything is just horrible to see. It’s almost physical - like I can feel it happening. Water is life.

Rainfall across England and Wales in July was just 31% of average levels, the lowest for at least two decades.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadukp/charts/hadukp_daily_plots.html

Looking back through that data it's notable how wet the month of July was while Brown was PM. 2007 191% of average, 2008 147%, 2009 195%. What a dreary run.
    Gordon Brown
    Why Does It Always Rain on Me?
    Is it because I lied when I was seventeen?
    Why Does It Always Rain on Me?
    Even when the sun is shining
    I can't avoid the lightning

Sums up his Premiership really.
    Though if Prime Ministerial lying was what caused rain, we'd currently be experiencing a flood that not even Noah's Ark could save us from.
    Very true. I vaguely recall in one of the early Pratchetts there was a lorry driver who was (unknown to him) the son of a rain god and it rained everywhere he went. That might explain it better.
    I think that was Douglas Adams.
    I've a feeling it was So Long and Thanks for All the Fish. The fourth book in the hitchhikers' trilogy.
    One of the happiest books ever written. I always think Adams must have been in an unusually good place when he wrote that.
    You are right (and I'm wrong too, I thought it was in Truckers but on second thoughts that doesn't have human viewpoint characters): https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Rob_McKenna
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

That's simply wrong, and disregards the awkward squad relationship we always had with the EU as members. It would have depended entirely on the PM at the time.
    Had we not voted for Brexit and there been any realistic contender as PM other than Johnson than it’s very clear we have been in the eu procurement scheme. Starmer was making political hay about how reckless the govt was being even AFTER Brexit.

It was a win in the Brexit column. As it turned out it had a fairly fleeting impact because of the extreme hesitation in 2021 to lift all restrictions after the win, and the silly unjustifiable reimposition of them upon omicron. But the uk vaccine procurement no doubt did save lives.
  • Options
    So Kansas has voted pro abortion rights:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/08/02/us/elections/results-kansas-abortion-amendment.html

Which means that repealing RvW is working as it should do and perhaps not how some of the GOP expected.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I believe internment camps with compulsory viewing of Dad’s Army and loudspeakers blasting out Vera Lynn are part of the master plan.
    If the diet is non-stop fish and chips, fried breakfast and cups of builder's tea, I'm in.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    I see that Truss/Savile tweet was brought to light by 'Old Holborn', who was a prolific Guido poster and nihilist back in the day. What does that tell us?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

How many hours would that take, or if it was to be done in quick time I presume it'd need an IT professional. Quite honestly there's better use of people's time and money than going through all their old tweets and eliminating ones that might be inconvienient.
    Offence archeology is the term aiui.

• Options

Except we wouldn't have, as the the political pressure to show we were good Europeans would have been irresistible after a Remain vote. And in any case weren't EU countries that wanted to go their own way excluded from buying vaccines that the EU itself was, effectively limiting them to Chinese and Russian vaccines?
  • Options

I see that Truss/Savile tweet was brought to light by 'Old Holborn', who was a prolific Guido poster and nihilist back in the day. What does that tell us?

Beyond the fact they are trouble makers for fun and lols not much really.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

eek said:

QTWAIN.

‘When he passed’ is the sort of euphemistic crap imported from the US that must be fought with might and main. The disgusting old paedo DIED.
    Although it doesn't address the UK/US usage, it's interesting to see 'when he passed' in Google NGrams:
    https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=when+he+passed&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&corpus=26&smoothing=3

Saying 'passed on' or 'passed away' may have come from America, but a very long time ago. It's only 'passed' on its own that's a recent American intruder. It sounds quite stupid really, like they missed a question on Mastermind.
    Passed away apparently started in 15th century England so I don' t think we can blame the Americans for that one.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/278400.html#:~:text=What's the origin of the phrase 'Pass away'?,a dead person was a literal physical event.
    The Historical Thesaurus of English has "pass away" as from 1375, "pass (hence)" from 1300, "pass the ghost" from 1400, "pass on" 1804, "pass out" 1867, "pass over" 1897

https://ht.ac.uk/category/?type=search&qsearch=pass&page=1#id=15487
  • Options
    Fishing said:

It's a low wage, low skill industry which uses land inefficiently and messes up the environment when done intensively and needs huge amounts of immigrant labour. We should absolutely be out of it, concentrating on industries where we have a comparative advantage instead.
    Yes and no. There’s a balance to be struck between land management, food security, and food quality.

How many countries were relying on food imports from Ukraine and Russia this year?

There needs to be investment in capital from the large farms, and investment in food quality from the smaller ones. Agree on what would be called slave labour, if other countries were doing it.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Idiotic.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Had we not voted for Brexit and there been any realistic contender as PM other than Johnson than it’s very clear we have been in the eu procurement scheme. Starmer was making political hay about how reckless the govt was being even AFTER Brexit.

It was a win in the Brexit column. As it turned out it had a fairly fleeting impact because of the extreme hesitation in 2021 to lift all restrictions after the win, and the silly unjustifiable reimposition of them upon omicron. But the uk vaccine procurement no doubt did save lives.
    Nor necessarily. Our presence in the EU procurement scheme might have been beneficial to it. All that sniping and one-upmanship between the two sides was a baleful distraction.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Well if Liz wins she can adopt the same brainwashing programme that turned her from a middle of the road Liberal to a rabid right-winger.

I am hoping the programme doesn't involve an intervention from Mark Field, mind you.
  • Options

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/08/02/us/elections/results-kansas-abortion-amendment.html

Which means that repealing RvW is working as it should do and perhaps not how some of the GOP expected.

Yes, it does rather put all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over Dobbs into context.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

It's an interesting counterfactual.
    Certainly there was a compulsion to show that we could do stuff on our own, so the 'benefit' is possibly true.
    On the other side of the scales, there might not have been the disgraceful campaign against the AZN vaccine. That might have saved many more lives worldwide.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    I agree with comments above that current polls aren't telling us much while the leadership is being decided. New PMs always get a honeymoon, even if one that tends not to last too long without an accompanying election victory. I expect Truss (if it is her) will benefit through the autumn, with relief at the clown's demise, but would be surprised - given the circumstances and the grim news lined up for later in the year - if it takes her into the New Year.

Local elections next year should be interesting.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

QTWAIN.

QTWAIN?

Along with half of PB.

You mean this comment?

"It's not as though anyone's arguing this is disqualificatory. Though it might prompt those who admire her unfiltered nature to think about the potential downside as well."

How the heck is saying a little anecdote on a famous person on the day they died in any way 'unfiltered' a year *before* it was revealed he was evil?

May we have a list of other famous people who we should be careful posting reminiscences about because they've done evil things that are not yet public? No? And that's why your comment is wrong.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

People *liked* Saville, and he had successfully fought off allegations about the truth in court. Read those obituaries I posted from the day after she posted that tweet.

Airing gushing public praise for a celeb isn't fandom iyo? Well there are serviceable alternatives, I suppose.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Certainly there was a compulsion to show that we could do stuff on our own, so the 'benefit' is possibly true.
    On the other side of the scales, there might not have been the disgraceful campaign against the AZN vaccine. That might have saved many more lives worldwide.

Indeed. And it was possible - as Hungary did - to be BOTH in the EU scheme and doing our own deals. A remain vote wouldn't have magicked away our desire to be leading our own research nor our general wariness of new pan-EU initiatives.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Idiotic.
    No, the idiotic thing is concentrating on, and subsidising, low wage, failing industries. We should be encouraging success, not reinforcing failure.
  • Options

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Nor necessarily. Our presence in the EU procurement scheme might have been beneficial to it. All that sniping and one-upmanship between the two sides was a baleful distraction.
    It could also be argued that the mere presence of the UK scheme, and the political implications of that, prevented the EU scheme from being even more flat-footed than it was.

Another month later, and the US would have bought up almost the entire Pfizer output for six months.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    edited August 2022

DavidL said:

eek said:

QTWAIN.

The Historical Thesaurus of English has "pass away" as from 1375, "pass (hence)" from 1300, "pass the ghost" from 1400, "pass on" 1804, "pass out" 1867, "pass over" 1897

https://ht.ac.uk/category/?type=search&qsearch=pass&page=1#id=15487
    I realky dislike the word 'passed'. I lost my wife,(scarcely credible that it's 10 yrs ago) ...she died, she did not pass away or pass . She died... and may her soul still rest in peace.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Feed the population with lithium batteries!
  • Options
    eek said:

Beyond the fact they are trouble makers for fun and lols not much really.
    This is just nonsensical, look at this
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15507826

And the six More on this story links at the bottom, it was like the Queen Mother dying, sorry, passing, until it wasn't.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

What awkward squad relationship? Thatcher was in the ground by this time, and her tenure was the last time we were in any way 'awkward' in a meaningful sense - one that didn't involve playing to Sun readers and then quietly capitulating a week later. 'I won't pay this bill' Osborne and 'I won't accept Juncker' Cameron would have jumped at the EU scheme, demanded that 'at least one' of the vaccine factories was in Britain, been told to fuck off, and no more would have been said.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
    Driver said:

Stop talking the country down, or Rishi's Prevent Militia will have to have a word. 26 minutes is plenty of time for our Glorious Government to increase the Sunshine and Apple Pie quotas.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Idiotic.
    No, the idiotic thing is concentrating on, and subsidising, low wage, failing industries. We should be encouraging success, not reinforcing failure.
    How do you intend to manage without food? Or do you not regard food security as an issue?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

In my opinion, the UK should have moved completely over to AZN, giving our Pfizer orders (and the bill) to other nations. I think we'd have saved a packet.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

As far as the GOP is concerned I think the stacking of the SC with social conservatives is going to turn into one of those "be very careful what you wish for" moments.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

Yes, the ruling was correct to leave it to the states.

However for pro life activists even if only 1 or 2 states like Alabama and Mississippi ban abortion that would still be better than the situation under Roe v Wade where abortion on demand was effectively legal US wide.

They don't really care if the GOP fail to retake Congress and the White House and lose some governors races and state legislatures in the process due to the pro choice backlash
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Driver said:

Stop talking the country down, or Rishi's Prevent Militia will have to have a word. 26 minutes is plenty of time for our Glorious Government to increase the Sunshine and Apple Pie quotas.
    Liz's Tweet is fine - Sunak's is truly Orwellian. Thank God his nasty little campaign is failing. Let's hope he's nowhere near high office in a few week's time.
  • Options
    eek said:

Fishing said:

The idiotic bit was cutting corporation tax while removing investment allowances.

The end result was a shift from investing in productivity improvements to throwing cheap labour at the problem in the hope for short term profits.
    Not necessarily. Empirical studies indicate that factor substitutability is pretty low, and capital expenditure which only happens because of the tax system is unlikely to be efficient or economic. Business investment is undoubtedly too low overall in this country, but I doubt that distorting the tax system is the best way to achieve that.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Babylon 5 on sedition coming in little packets:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3VA9pZ_kY0
  • Options
    Motion text
    That this House mourns the death of Sir Jimmy Savile OBE who has died two days before his 85th birthday; recognises his enormous contribution to charitable giving, raising more than 40 million for charities during his lifetime; appreciates his essential Yorkshire character; remembers the smiles brought to the faces of children who appeared on Jim'll Fix It; enjoyed his choice of music during his time as a disc jockey; and sends its condolences and sympathy to family and friends in Leeds, Yorkshire, the UK and throughout the world.
    https://edm.parliament.uk/early-day-motion/43425/sir-jimmy-savile-obe

Signatories include one Jeremy Corbyn
  • Options
    moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

Course not. But it's a bit dim to say it means NOTHING or to not expect dirty tricks in election campaigns. To me it means she was oblivious to the rumours and dark aura around Jimmy Savile and - worse - is the sort of person who found him an attractive benign persona. This speaks to bad judgement. Not some sort of gamechanger - since there's far more important and relevant and recent evidence of her bad judgement - but, you know, it doesn't look great. Hence why, as I say, I'd have semi expected it to have been dug up and aired before now.
  • Options

Motion text
    That this House mourns the death of Sir Jimmy Savile OBE who has died two days before his 85th birthday; recognises his enormous contribution to charitable giving, raising more than 40 million for charities during his lifetime; appreciates his essential Yorkshire character; remembers the smiles brought to the faces of children who appeared on Jim'll Fix It; enjoyed his choice of music during his time as a disc jockey; and sends its condolences and sympathy to family and friends in Leeds, Yorkshire, the UK and throughout the world.
    https://edm.parliament.uk/early-day-motion/43425/sir-jimmy-savile-obe

Signatories include one Jeremy Corbyn

"Motion text" is text for a motion.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

There is a big plot hole in the "Brexit helped us with the vaccines" story. The UK would have most likely, like a couple of other EU members, decided to do it's own thing even tho part of the EU had we voted to Remain.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited August 2022

Its the road not traveled. Yes we would have been at liberty to do as we did, but many suspect we would have been under pressure to stay within the EU procurement. Indeed even at the time the government was criticized for not going with the EU despite Brexit.

In the end it may seem like it made little difference. I'd suggest that some lives were saved by earlier vaccination, but its impossible to really know.

Those who hate Brexit will say bollocks, those who love Brexit will claim it as a win (there don't seem many wins around to claim right now).
    You should have more faith in our elected, sovereign government. "The big boy made me do it" is not compelling evidence that you love your country sufficiently deeply.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Airing gushing public praise for a celeb isn't fandom iyo? Well there are serviceable alternatives, I suppose.
    So what if she was a fan? My favourite Savile praise is in Rob Brydon's book published just before it all came out:

Jimmy was something of a hero of mine. Like Basil Brush, he was someone who turned a lot of people off, but to whom I was drawn...I can remember, as though it was last week,...sitting with Jimmy after the show and listening to him dispense his wisdom. I don't say that in a sarcastic way; I've remembered his words to this day. 'Look at me,' he said, 'I can't sing, I can't dance, I can't act. I can do f*** all. But, I turn up at places, I smile, I wave. The punters look at me and say, "Jim's having a good time, therefore so are we."'
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

There is a big plot hole in the "Brexit helped us with the vaccines" story. The UK would have most likely, like a couple of other EU members, decided to do it's own thing even tho part of the EU had we voted to Remain.
    All 27 members were part of the scheme so that’s not true. It prevented any parallel negotiations with companies that Brussels was talking to.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,803
    edited August 2022
    Nigelb said:

Deeply disturbing . I expect two years of the government accusing anyone of criticizing them of being unpatriotic and the right wing press pushing this mantra.

The Tories in their current form are a danger to UK democracy and need to be removed at the next GE before the UK becomes unrecognizable.

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    TOPPING said:

You should have more faith in our elected, sovereign government. "The big boy made me do it" is not compelling evidence that you love your country sufficiently deeply.
    Have you seen our government for the last three years? (And indeed before?)
  • Options

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Except we wouldn't have, as the the political pressure to show we were good Europeans would have been irresistible after a Remain vote.

Which is obvious to anyone who was paying attention in 2020, who couldn't miss the amount of pressure there was to join the EU scheme even though we had left.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Deeply disturbing . I expect two years of the government accusing anyone of criticizing them of being unpatriotic and the right wing press pushing this mantra.

The Tories in their current form are a danger to UK democracy and need to be removed at the next GE before the UK becomes unrecognizable.

I want to 'like' this but that may be misinterpreted.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

Course not. But it's a bit dim to say it means NOTHING or to not expect dirty tricks in election campaigns. To me it means she was oblivious to the rumours and dark aura around Jimmy Savile and - worse - is the sort of person who found him an attractive benign persona. This speaks to bad judgement. Not some sort of gamechanger - since there's far more important and relevant and recent evidence of her bad judgement - but, you know, it doesn't look great. Hence why, as I say, I'd have semi expected it to have been dug up and aired before now.
    Unusual to see you digging so assiduously in so deep a hole. Just search Jimmy Savile tributes and be amazed at the outpourings. Prince of Wales, DG BBC, bloody everyone. With, with hindsight, some notable exceptions - Downing Street kept very quiet. But he is a fellow Leeds local of Truss, and Always in good spirits is pretty restrained stuff. Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

You and I have very different definitions of 'gushing' and 'fandom', then.

As I said, read the obituaries from the day after he died (the day after her tweet).
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Glasgow will be first on the list, I think, so perhaps time to "make plans". Bag packed and a few thousand in readies.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

Unusual to see you digging so assiduously in so deep a hole. Just search Jimmy Savile tributes and be amazed at the outpourings. Prince of Wales, DG BBC, bloody everyone. With, with hindsight, some notable exceptions - Downing Street kept very quiet. But he is a fellow Leeds local of Truss, and Always in good spirits is pretty restrained stuff. Nothing to see here.
    Charles Kennedy MP
    The former Liberal Democrat leader and MP for Ross, Skye and Lochaber said Sir Jimmy was "a true and long-standing friend to the West Highlands over decades of diligence and decency".

"When not resident at his home in Glencoe, he made it available for mountain rescue use," he said.

"It was typical of the man that he never drew attention to such characteristic generosity. A sad loss indeed."
  • Options
    On another point: there was a rumour yesterday that the Russians had suffered a local difficulty in Kherson.

They got a train to an offloading point. They set off a smoke screen around the train whilst it was unloaded (presumably to prevent a UAV from seeing it and giving accurate coordinates to artillery). Fortunately, either one of the pyrotechnics started a fire, or in the smoke something was mishandled, and part of the train went afire.

I've no idea if this is true, but I'd so love it to be.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    Driver said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Except we wouldn't have, as the the political pressure to show we were good Europeans would have been irresistible after a Remain vote.

Which is obvious to anyone who was paying attention in 2020, who couldn't miss the amount of pressure there was to join the EU scheme even though we had left.
    That is what you want to believe. You are like one of those few children in the class that still believes in Santa. You are desperately clinging onto anything that suggests Brexit gives Britain an advantage, when the reality is that Brexit having any benefits is for the fairies. Here is an inconvenient article for you: https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/covid-vaccine-decisions-brexit
  • Options
    Given the dependence of Russian logistics on the rail system, this bodes reasonably well for Ukraine's upcoming offensive.

https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1554751858744475648
    It is highly unlikely the railway connection between Kherson and Crimea remains operational after the Ukrainian strike on Russian ammo train in Kherson Oblast, reports the UK Intelligence
  • Options
    KeystoneKeystone Posts: 127

Love it. The ineffability of Brexit benefits - it would be impossible to describe them.

Like something out of medieval Catholic theology.

Lucky we have some clergymen to intermediate for the rest of us, no?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

As I said, read the obituaries from the day after he died (the day after her tweet).
    Obituaries are slightly different though. They're a 'formal' thing with an etiquette of stressing the positives. The person writing them is usually just doing a job of work.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    Driver said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

What nonsense. You are just making stuff up. We did lots of stuff independent of the EU while in the EU and as we had expertise in the area I don't think there is any chance we would have just followed the EU scheme.

You are projecting your bias of those who wanted to remain as just being EU slaves. Most remainers don't think the EU is/was perfect, they just preferred it to leaving on the balance of benefits.
  • Options

Driver said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

That is what you want to believe.
    Backed up with evidence of having paid attention to our relationship with the EU for more than 30 years.

Former Remainers saying "we could have done it anyway" are technically true, but massively miss the point. We wouldn't have.
  • Options

Sunak's an airhead. I think I have detected a genuine unconscious bias in myself in that it took me 10 minutes to draw that conclusion whereas it would have been an instantaneous reaction if the text were swapped around.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

QTWAIN.

QTWAIN?

Along with half of PB.

You mean this comment?

"It's not as though anyone's arguing this is disqualificatory. Though it might prompt those who admire her unfiltered nature to think about the potential downside as well."

How the heck is saying a little anecdote on a famous person on the day they died in any way 'unfiltered' a year *before* it was revealed he was evil?

May we have a list of other famous people who we should be careful posting reminiscences about because they've done evil things that are not yet public? No? And that's why your comment is wrong.
    No, that was the comment to which @Luckyguy1983 replied.

Rather this:
    Well it does tell us that she's been a somewhat incontinent Tweeter for quite some time.
    And yesterday's contretemps indicate she still hasn't learned to think before pronouncing.

It's not a big deal , but what struck me about the tweet was that it's as much about her as Savile.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Obituaries are slightly different though. They're a 'formal' thing with an etiquette of stressing the positives. The person writing them is usually just doing a job of work.
    Just read the other comments made at the time, then. He was not seen as being evil at that time, so what's wrong with posting a minor personal anecdote about him when he died?

I have a personal anecdote about Bernie Ecclestone. It is a positive, pleasant one about him. Yet I always temper it with the fact I realise he is (at best) controversial, and at worst a raving sh**bag. If he were to die, and if I was active on Twitter, I'd probably post it in a positive manner.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes, the ruling was correct to leave it to the states.

However for pro life activists even if only 1 or 2 states like Alabama and Mississippi ban abortion that would still be better than the situation under Roe v Wade where abortion on demand was effectively legal US wide.

They don't really care if the GOP fail to retake Congress and the White House and lose some governors races and state legislatures in the process due to the pro choice backlash
    They'll certainly care in Congress passes some pro choice legislation in that scenario.

It really is not in the interests of the pro lifers for the GOP to be either obsessional or extreme about abortion.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Driver said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

What nonsense. You are just making stuff up. We did lots of stuff independent of the EU while in the EU and as we had expertise in the area I don't think there is any chance we would have just followed the EU scheme.
    Then you obviously weren't paying attention.
  • Options
    So, faster growth, record exports, full employment, higher wages. It's been a disaster right enough.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

QTWAIN.

QTWAIN?

Along with half of PB.

You mean this comment?

Rather this:
    Well it does tell us that she's been a somewhat incontinent Tweeter for quite some time.
    And yesterday's contretemps indicate she still hasn't learned to think before pronouncing.

It's not a big deal , but what struck me about the tweet was that it's as much about her as Savile.
    Digging party growing.
  • Options

Bundeskanzler Olaf Scholz
    @Bundeskanzler

Regierungsvertreter*in aus Deutschland
    Bei @Siemens_Energy konnte ich mit eigenen Augen sehen: Die gewartete Turbine ist da und jederzeit einsatzbereit. Sie muss nur von Russland angefordert werden. Es gibt also keine technischen Gründe, die Gaslieferungen zu reduzieren.

At @Siemens_Energy I could see with my own eyes: The serviced turbine is there and ready for use at any time. It only has to be requested from Russia. So there are no technical reasons to reduce gas supplies.

https://twitter.com/Bundeskanzler/status/1554749662594211841

No technical reasons Olaf, just the moral one of funding an evil, murderous tyrant
  • Options

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

No, the vax story plot hole is that if it were not for Brexit, the EMA would still be (more-or-less) the MHRA.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"Tributes" are entirely voluntary.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

QTWAIN.

QTWAIN?

Along with half of PB.

You mean this comment?

Rather this:

That's what happens when someone you have met dies. You think about them and how you related to them.
This discussion has been closed.