Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Opinium finds double-digit LAB leads whoever becomes PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,612
    Scott_xP said:

LATEST
    **MP loyal to Penny Mordaunt concedes**
    The MP tells me "Liz has pushed us out" blaming criticism over her record in the Tory Press.
    He says: "[It] looks like a Rishi v Liz summer contest. The only winner from that will be our Opponents. Both will be damaged." #ToryLeader

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1549762704558153734

Yep, that's now in the betting. Mordaunt out if true. And out by a margin.

Our Predictions Contest is thus fatally compromised and OFF.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,294
    dixiedean said:

S 137
    M 110
    T 110

Which would be amusing. Ellwood makes it a tie.

What happens then? A count-back?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,249
    Andy_JS said:

It's almost impossible to predict which of Truss or Mordaunt will come through because of possible tactical voting in previous rounds.

But I'll have a guess:

Sunak 133
    Truss 114
    Mordaunt 110

Chris Chope at Torygraph has already called it for Liz. Sources in Penny camp tell him they’re out
  • Options
    Is the announcement at 4pm today?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,073
    Scott_xP said:

LATEST
    The MP tells me "Liz has pushed us out" blaming criticism over her record in the Tory Press.
    He says: "[It] looks like a Rishi v Liz summer contest. The only winner from that will be our Opponents. Both will be damaged." #ToryLeader

YEEEESSSS
  • Options
    Mordaunt's gone total betting walkies. Must be 3rd and miles behind.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,006

The final round of MPs voting runs this afternoon from 1 to 3pm; results due 4pm.

Betfair next prime minister
    2.04 Liz Truss 49%
    2.62 Rishi Sunak 38%
    7 Penny Mordaunt 14%
    300 Dominic Raab
    340 Keir Starmer

Next Conservative leader
    2.02 Liz Truss 50%
    2.72 Rishi Sunak 37%
    6.8 Penny Mordaunt 15%

To be in final two
    1.02 Rishi Sunak 98%
    1.27 Liz Truss 79%
    3.8 Penny Mordaunt 26%

At the half-time oranges stage of the count.

2 Liz Truss 50%
    2.64 Rishi Sunak 38%
    7.8 Penny Mordaunt 13%
    300 Dominic Raab
    340 Keir Starmer

Next Conservative leader
    1.96 Liz Truss 51%
    2.7 Rishi Sunak 37%
    8.4 Penny Mordaunt 12%

To be in final two
    1.02 Rishi Sunak 98%
    1.19 Liz Truss 84%
    5 Penny Mordaunt 20%
    Someone thinks they know.

1.72 Liz Truss 58%
    2.64 Rishi Sunak 38%
    13 Penny Mordaunt 8%
    300 Dominic Raab
    340 Keir Starmer

Next Conservative leader
    1.67 Liz Truss 60%
    2.6 Rishi Sunak 38%
    16.5 Penny Mordaunt 6%

To be in final two
    no offers Rishi Sunak
    1.06 Liz Truss
    10 Penny Mordaunt
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,950

Nigelb said:

Lavrov gives the biggest official signal yet that Russia is planning to annex southern Ukraine.

"Now the geography has changed. It's not just Donetsk and Luhansk, it's Kherson, Zaporizhia, and several other territories. And this is an ongoing process, consistent and insistent."

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1549711941299470336

This is hardly a surprise, given their intent is the whole of Ukraine, sooner, or later.

He looks like he's aged quite a lot since the beginning of the war.
    We must be due Russia offer of a ceasefire and talks soon then.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,262

Scott_xP said:

LATEST

Please, no! But if that comes to pass Penny only has herself to blame. It was hers for the taking this time last week.
    Poorly prepared for the shitstorm the Mail was going to throw at her.

Poorly organised considering she's been planning this for quite some while.

Too whiny about being targeted. Needed to be on the attack about Brexit Johnny-come-lately's.

All in all, a very disappointing campaign.

Now to get behind Sunak against Truss - and make her case for a senior post with PM Sunak.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,574
    Sunak supporter Gavin Williamson, asked if he was lending any votes to other campaigns - “I don’t know what you’re talking about”
    https://twitter.com/singharj/status/1549754135783915526

That's a yes, then ?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,715
    kinabalu said:

The Con to Labour RedWall floor- crossers can be re-booked for the Labour Party Conference then.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,760

Scott_xP said:

LATEST

Please, no! But if that comes to pass Penny only has herself to blame. It was hers for the taking this time last week.
    I sort of agree. There was such excitement and hope for a fresh change under her that it was a great opportunity, there were attacks, but you aren’t supposed to dwell on bitchiness of the Mail as much as that, she didn’t fill the half empty jug of hope with enough substance, policy stances, or strong debate performances.

But it’s not the end, she can come back stronger. She needs time in higher office.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,692

DavidL said:

What is so very different about this leadership contest compared to previous ones is that there is no possibility of anyone volunteering to drop out and have their opponent crowned. None. They're going to be bitterly fighting long after a "winner" is declared.

I don't think you're going to see a sore loser like Hunt turning his nose down at Defence again this time.

It will be bitter until the votes are cast, but I think both Truss and Rishi can work together whoever wins.

See the way they were able to co-operate to pull the plug on the Sky debate in order to stop attacking each other.
    "A question for Liz, what do you regret most, voting remain or being a Liberal Democrat?"

Work together? Ha!

Dunno - Kamila H virtually accused Biden of driving the school "busing" bus himself during one debate and yet she is now his Veep.

A ridiculous allegation. Who on earth would give him such a responsible position?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

BBC reports a civil service leak inquiry into the Sunday Times story about Mordaunt and gender.
  • Options
    S 139
    M 102
    T 116
  • Options
    Truss vs Sunak, I called it but God help us all!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Lavrov gives the biggest official signal yet that Russia is planning to annex southern Ukraine.

"Now the geography has changed. It's not just Donetsk and Luhansk, it's Kherson, Zaporizhia, and several other territories. And this is an ongoing process, consistent and insistent."

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1549711941299470336

This is hardly a surprise, given their intent is the whole of Ukraine, sooner, or later.

He looks like he's aged quite a lot since the beginning of the war.
    Lying all day long can do that. And then there's the expecting to be poisoned any minute if one of your lies isn't big enough for the Boss.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,608
    I wonder what percentage of those Tory MPs who caused Johnson to resign didn't want Truss as leader?
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Truss vs Sunak, I called it but God help us all!

You won't have long to wait. The time will fly by.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

LATEST

I sort of agree. There was such excitement and hope for a fresh change under her that it was a great opportunity, there were attacks, but you aren’t supposed to dwell on bitchiness of the Mail as much as that, she didn’t fill the half empty jug of hope with enough substance, policy stances, or strong debate performances.

But it’s not the end, she can come back stronger. She needs time in higher office.
    And to learn to pay attention. And to think about what she actually wants rather some middle ground. And to do the work. Above all, do the work. Her performance in her next post must be exemplary.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

BBC reports a civil service leak inquiry into the Sunday Times story about Mordaunt and gender.
    Mordaunt was probably the BBC's preferred candidate.
  • Options

Is the announcement at 4pm today?

Yes.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,631
    Sunak vs Truss. With Truss the clear candidate who will continue Johnsonism and lose the election. She will win by a canter.

Will they lose the election like Corbyn 17? Or Corbyn 19? Or Major 97? Or Campbell 93?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,073
    Andy_JS said:

I wonder what percentage of those Tory MPs who caused Johnson to resign didn't want Truss as leader?

Boris had to go, what was to come next couldn't be determined - but fundamentally you can't have someone that dishonest in charge of the country no matter how much he might amuse people.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

LATEST

Looks like my £300 win on PM is drifting away from me...
  • Options
    Prediction Contest -

Ok, look, so I'll still compute and award a trophy - but the winner will have to swear they didn't already have the scoop and see Mordaunt sliding out to 50/1.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,281
    Sunak - 122
    Mordaunt - 120
    Truss - 115
  • Options
    Westminster Voting Intention: *Sunak as Conservative Leader* LAB: 37% (+4) CON: 25% (-20) LDM: 15% (+3) GRN: 10% (+7) REF: 4% (+2) via @FindoutnowUK , 18-19 Jul (Changes with 2019 Election)

Labour would gain more seats than in 1997, meaning Starmer is the biggest seat winner for Labour since Wilson - if it happened
  • Options

dixiedean said:

S 137
    M 110
    T 110

They'd probably hold another ballot this evening.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

S 137
    M 110
    T 110

Put all three to the membership and let the loonies make the decision.
  • Options
    And 70 seats for the Lib Dems, their highest tally ever. What a government that would be
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

S 137
    M 110
    T 110

Put all three to the membership and let the loonies make the decision.
    FPTP? AV? STV? 😀

• Options
    An interesting result would be if Truss comes ahead of Sunak. Unlikely.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,826
    Question: when are results of today's Tory MP vote scheduled to b released?
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Andy_JS said:

I wonder how many MPs are stunned by Sunak's Mitt Romney performance with the members.
  • Options
    Just signed in to LBC to get the result on the office computer. Jim Diamond? Didn't he sing "Hi Ho Silver" or am I wrong and "I should have known better"?
  • Options

Westminster Voting Intention: *Sunak as Conservative Leader* LAB: 37% (+4) CON: 25% (-20) LDM: 15% (+3) GRN: 10% (+7) REF: 4% (+2) via @FindoutnowUK , 18-19 Jul (Changes with 2019 Election)

Labour would gain more seats than in 1997, meaning Starmer is the biggest seat winner for Labour since Wilson - if it happened

Very high LD and Green shares.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,251

Is there a poll with Truss?
  • Options
    Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    6m
    Another Mordaunt backer texts: “knife edge”
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,970
    https://twitter.com/William_Wragg/status/1549765031658668032

Er... did anyone think for more than 15 seconds about this?

Five white blokes, and one ethnic minority woman.

The woman is pouring tea for the blokes.

That's not a good look, folks?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The best result would be if MPs have been trolling Gavin Williamson and they all dump Sunak at this stage. So we have a proper contest for the members with two candidates with an equal chance of winning the argument.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

LATEST

It's sunk.
  • Options

Question: when are results of today's Tory MP vote scheduled to b released?

4pm. 10 minutes to go.
  • Options

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    6m
    Another Mordaunt backer texts: “knife edge”

Yes, but where's the knife point ?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,318

Presumably you could add a good few of the Green votes to Labour, too. That would see the Tories pretty much wiped out. It's a lovely thought but I don't think it's likely to happen.
  • Options
    The Daily Mail isn't going to be flavour of the month with Penny Mordaunt supporters.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

LATEST

It's sunk.
    PM out at 50 now.

It's gonna be one hell of shock if she does take second now.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Unlikely, yes.

Interesting, no, not really.

Unless Truss is a long way behind Sunak she will win the members vote by a mile anyway, so the interest will be negligible.
  • Options
    An upbeat-looking Liz Truss just recorded a statement to camera on New Palace Yard. Looks like it will be a celebratory message. We find out in 19 (9) minutes
    https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1549766516660387841
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,718

Just signed in to LBC to get the result on the office computer. Jim Diamond? Didn't he sing "Hi Ho Silver" or am I wrong and "I should have known better"?

And "Saddle Up"
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,987
    What a disaster this is going to be
  • Options

They at least know what a woman is.
    And what she's for.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sunak supporter Gavin Williamson, asked if he was lending any votes to other campaigns - “I don’t know what you’re talking about”

That's a yes, then ?

Isn't that Gavin's stock answer to ALL questions?
    No, that would be 'I don't understand...".
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

An upbeat-looking Liz Truss just recorded a statement to camera on New Palace Yard. Looks like it will be a celebratory message. We find out in 19 (9) minutes
    https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1549766516660387841

Sky News are being like John Motson when Man U are three up with 10 to go. “Well this amazing, anything could happen still”.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,048
    Andy_JS said:

The Daily Mail isn't going to be flavour of the month with Penny Mordaunt supporters.

Daily Mail might be in for a shock itself if she's made Culture Secretary in the new cabinet...
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

LATEST

Poorly prepared for the shitstorm the Mail was going to throw at her.

Poorly organised considering she's been planning this for quite some while.

Too whiny about being targeted. Needed to be on the attack about Brexit Johnny-come-lately's.

All in all, a very disappointing campaign.

Now to get behind Sunak against Truss - and make her case for a senior post with PM Sunak.
    ...not so fast! Beth Rigby says it is "knife-edge"!
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,647

The Tories are doomed. And they’ve just put the two most tainted candidates in the final two (probably).

Chortle.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Prediction Contest -

Ok, look, so I'll still compute and award a trophy - but the winner will have to swear they didn't already have the scoop and see Mordaunt sliding out to 50/1.

I very much doubt if any PBers have seen the count tbh.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

That's a yes, then ?

Isn't that Gavin's stock answer to ALL questions?
    No.

"Give me a knighthood or I spill the full story" is another regular answer.
  • Options
    BigG_SouthWales just rode himself into a podium finish.
  • Options
    PM backers sound not a little bitter.
    I don't think a Truss ministry is going to be a happy one.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Today Penny is wearing a pussybow and a kaftan.

Lightweight Lizzy has a sexy belt like stripper wear.

Rishi seems to have 9” platform shoes on.
  • Options
    NEW 👀

Liz Truss looks set to have won the Conservative leadership campaign. 

One MP on the Sunak team tells me the votes from Kemi Badenoch have “transferred wholesale” to Truss’s campaign. 
    If so, suddenly Rishi Sunak is no longer the favourite going into the members’ voting.

Errr
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,048
    Sunak v Truss will be a bloodbath.

Slick and superficial v desperate and unhinged.

The Times v The Mail, Express, Sun and Telegraph.

The pair of them hollering about statues and tax cuts as the cost of living crisis bites hard.

Then either full-scale Tory civil war if Sunak wins or a trade war with the EU if Truss does.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,318

Tories, innit.
  • Options
    NEW 👀

One MP on the Sunak team tells me the votes from Kemi Badenoch have “transferred wholesale” to Truss’s campaign.

If so, suddenly Rishi Sunak is no longer the favourite going into the members’ voting.

God help us all
  • Options

NEW 👀

Errr

Oh god... Bring back Boris, its all been a terrible mistake.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Andy_JS said:

Daily Mail might be in for a shock itself if she's made Culture Secretary in the new cabinet...
    Dacre wont care by then as he is due the peerage Johnson has promised him for various favours.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,758
    edited July 2022
    Not too late:

S - 138
    T - 113
    M- 106

(I may just have time to edit this to give the right result at 4.01)
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,647

NEW 👀

Errr

If true - PORWAS.

Completely nukes his “favourite with the MPs” campaign.

• Options
    TGOHF22TGOHF22 Posts: 32
    So regime change = no 2 vs no 3 in the regime taking over.

Underwhelming.
  • Options
    The Tories have literally gone back to 2001. All of that progress under Cameron and they've given it up.

This is not a party that anyone vaguely of the centre could dream of voting for. What a shame.
  • Options

Sunak v Truss will be a bloodbath.

Slick and superficial v desperate and unhinged.

The Times v The Mail, Express, Sun and Telegraph.

The pair of them hollering about statues and tax cuts as the cost of living crisis bites hard.

Then either full-scale Tory civil war if Sunak wins or a trade war with the EU if Truss does.

Hopefully you have all positioned your pensions in foreign currency assets!

• Options
    DavidL said:

NEW 👀

Errr

Oh god... Bring back Boris, its all been a terrible mistake.
    @Leon warned you. :smile:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,802
    edited July 2022
    B&M Thatcher getting through shows all the campaigning, 27 rounds of voting by MPs, was a total waste of time. Late start and totally rubbish throughout.
  • Options
    I guess if Tory MPs want to vote for electoral suicide, so be it
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,678

I see that Boris in his final oration said that we’d listened to Treasury, there’d be no M25 and no Channel Tunnel.

Quite right!

Subtext: don't elect Rishi Sunak.
    That message has been so loud it may as well have been text.

In fairness, the members appear to have listened.
  • Options

I've seen her in a swimsuit, and she looked good, but a "pussybow", ding- dong!

What's a pussybow?
  • Options

If its aimed at Tory members its probably the *only* look.
  • Options
    Starmer interviewed about Johnson, paying a fulsome tribute.

"He is a complete bullshitter, and I think he’s been found out ... In the local elections there was a general realisation that this guy bullshits, if he’s bullshitting about that [Partygate], he’s probably bullshitting about everything."
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,802
    edited July 2022

The Tories have literally gone back to 2001. All of that progress under Cameron and they've given it up.

This is not a party that anyone vaguely of the centre could dream of voting for. What a shame.

Rishi could easily be mistaken for a Tony Blair centrist labourite minister in terms of his actions....spray money around then tax rises all round.
  • Options

What's a pussybow?
    You havn’t been paying attention have you?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,382
    My guess:

S - 128
    T - 125
    M- 104
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Starmer interviewed about Johnson, paying a fulsome tribute.

"He is a complete bullshitter, and I think he’s been found out ... In the local elections there was a general realisation that this guy bullshits, if he’s bullshitting about that [Partygate], he’s probably bullshitting about everything."

Are you his speechwriter?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,678
    Nigelb said:

That's a yes, then ?

I believe him. The only 'evidence' people seem to have is supposedly suspicious outcomes post Tugendhat, but Penny had been struggling, it isnt that surprising.
  • Options

NEW 👀

God help us all

If true that is hilarious!

Then again, think about it. Trusster is the tired and petulant continuity Boris candidate with a crew of idiots and misfits backing her. Leaving Sunak as the insurgent, trying to bring proper Tory economic common sense back vs Liz the LibDem.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,929
    edited July 2022
    Guess:
    Truss 135
    Sunak 120
    Mordaunt 105
  • Options

Ironic because Liz Truss was one of the A-list shortlist candidates that Cameron organised.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1549681965145755648

Lol go Keir!

I told you all exclusively weeks ago that Campbell was back in the frame.
  • Options

What's a pussybow?
    You havn’t been paying attention have you?
    No.
  • Options
    Here we go.
  • Options
    Any moment now.
  • Options
    Pendolino 105
    Rish! 137
    Trussticles 113
  • Options