Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rule breaking Rishi wins the debate as Kemi puts the bad in Badenoch – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    pigeon said:

ClippP said:

There’s a bit of a myth about A/C in the hot south of Europe. Certainly in Spain, a large number of private residences - probably most - don’t have it. I have good friends in a town near Barcelona, both with well-paid jobs, who have just moved into a new flat that is not equipped with it. Very few older places are. Remember, too, that it’s very expensive to run - especially at a time when energy prices are very high.

The traditional antidote to the summer heat has always been shutters, open windows and shadowed areas on streets and in squares. For a lot of people that remains the case. Most of all, though, it has been the siesta. The southern Europeans were never lazy, they were just smart enough to know it’s absurd to work during the hottest part of the day.

In my experience, Mr Observer, the recipe is for closed <|b> windows. They are open throughout the night, so that the cooler air gets in, but get closed once the sun has risen and the air gets hotter outside.

Open windows and shutters shut if you live on the shady side of the street. Everything closed if you don't. That's how I remember it - but it was a few years ago!

Windows ought always to be shut if the air temperature outside exceeds that inside, otherwise you're just increasing the speed at which the air inside the building heats.
    Keeping in mind there is generally quite a difference between direct sunlight (on a sunny day) and shade. For example, between a sun-drenched (or rather -beaten) south-facing patio, and a window opening onto an alleyway in deep shade.

Your humble (or not) abode is your personal climate. And the rooms and their situations micro climates. Given unusual (if not unknown) weather, you might well end up with a tempest in (or rather about) your teapot!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

This is really excellent advice on dealing with heat from an Aussie doctor. Could even be lifesaving. Pass around folks:

Dr Ellie Mackin Roberts
    @EllieMRoberts

I am a genuine Australian, here is some advice regarding dealing with the heat that's heading to England... if you have no aircon.

https://twitter.com/EllieMRoberts/status/1548310703676669953

Yep, that’s all good advise.

Curtains and windows closed during the day, drink lots of water, don’t go outside, drink lots of water, sunscreen, cotton clothing, drink lots of water, don’t forget the dog, wet cloth on the head, drink lots of water.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    moonshine said:

Meanwhile, the Boris flying off from NATO to see the KGB story still isn't moving at any more than snails pace. Yes, he will soon be yesterday's man. But remains Prime Minister. And what a story.

At best his actions have been significantly questionable. At worst...

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1548686479592939524

We should judge him on this by his actions rather than the appearance painted by the likes of Cadwalla. If Putin had kompramat on Boris Johnson, it’s not done him much good at his moment of need has it. Very much the opposite, given the leadership BJ provided first in continuing training the Ukrainian forces, then in publicly sharing intelligence about the impending invasion (which most of Europe and their sympathisers said was fakenews), then strong leadership over sanctions, arms and nato expansion.

Is it not conceivable that British citizen Lebedev has shifted allegiance from Putin’s Russia to his adopted state? But that during the novichok crisis he was privy to intelligence from Russian sources that he felt compelled to share? But let’s face it, given the recent attack on the Skripal’s, how could he be sure that even his own handlers were not compromised? Better to go straight to the Foreign Secretary.

We can talk all day about this story and Russian violinists. But it’s hard to refute that love him or hate him, Boris Johnson has been the biggest thorn in Putin’s side among major European leaders. And in fact that without his leadership on the matter, Ukraine might very well be facing a very different outcome.

I’ve been dismayed by how little Ukraine has featured in the leaders debate so far. It’s the key issue, both in terms of growth and cost of living. What did the candidates really think in Jan/Feb this year? Because that’s the key indicator in knowing how they might behave this winter.

This reveals the perils of an open society. Under such a system, anyone can invest in the media and lobby politicians, even people with high level connections to hostile foreign governments. It is the responsibility of government and politicians to build in safeguards to protect national security. Johnson appears to have been casually indifferent to this, which is a big problem independent of his wider actions regarding Ukraine.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    Andy_JS said:

Slip, slap, slop is the Australian advice for hot weather.

Probably needs some more context. Slipping over at the bar, which results in slopping your beer over someone and then getting a slap in return is not going to be much help.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,669

This is really excellent advice on dealing with heat from an Aussie doctor. Could even be lifesaving. Pass around folks:

Dr Ellie Mackin Roberts
    @EllieMRoberts

I am a genuine Australian, here is some advice regarding dealing with the heat that's heading to England... if you have no aircon.

I don't understand this one:

"9. If you are dehydrated (and an adult, and able to do so) drink a half a pint of beer (inc. alcohol free!) and then move straight onto water (or a sports drink or cordial if you don't like water)."
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Taz said:

MaxPB said:

No way now for Penny to win. That story about purposefully lying about her true intentions for a policy is dynamite.

Looks like Sunak v Truss. The ERG would never forgive Sunak for winning that.

It’s going to be Truss, isn’t it.

Heaven help us.
    I think Sunak still has a good chance with the membership. Truss is just so terrible at public speaking and gives no presence at all.

Not to mention the policies suck.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    I seem to have stumbled on a weather forecasting site crossed with a bit of Listen with Mother .
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    Andy_JS said:

Dr Ellie Mackin Roberts
    @EllieMRoberts

"9. If you are dehydrated (and an adult, and able to do so) drink a half a pint of beer (inc. alcohol free!) and then move straight onto water (or a sports drink or cordial if you don't like water)."
    Beer is isotonic. A lot of endurance athletes drink a lot of alcohol free beer.
  • Options
    XipeXipe Posts: 47
    Andy_JS said:

Dr Ellie Mackin Roberts
    @EllieMRoberts

It just makes dying of heatstroke more agreeable
  • Options
    I doubt that 50% of us will make it through to Wednesday

Bright side: Parking in Sheffield is going to be an absolute breeze for the next few years
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408

Betfair next prime minister
    2.36 Rishi Sunak 42%
    3.4 Penny Mordaunt 29%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    13.5 Kemi Badenoch 7%
    140 Tom Tugendhat
    220 Dominic Raab

Next Conservative leader
    2.38 Rishi Sunak 42%
    3.3 Penny Mordaunt 30%
    4.5 Liz Truss 22%
    14 Kemi Badenoch 7%
    170 Tom Tugendhat

To be in final two
    1.06 Rishi Sunak 94%
    1.7 Penny Mordaunt 59%
    2.46 Liz Truss 41%
    10 Kemi Badenoch 10%
    100 Tom Tugendhat

Betfair prices at 4am

2.28 Rishi Sunak 44%
    3.8 Penny Mordaunt 26%
    4.9 Liz Truss 20%
    12.5 Kemi Badenoch 8%
    130 Tom Tugendhat
    230 Dominic Raab

Next Conservative leader
    2.3 Rishi Sunak 43%
    3.75 Penny Mordaunt 27%
    4.4 Liz Truss 23%
    14.5 Kemi Badenoch 7%
    150 Tom Tugendhat

To be in final two
    1.05 Rishi Sunak 95%
    1.7 Penny Mordaunt 59%
    2.64 Liz Truss 38%
    8 Kemi Badenoch 13%
    100 Tom Tugendhat
    9am Monday, which will see MPs' hustings and the next vote.

2.18 Rishi Sunak 46%
    3.65 Penny Mordaunt 27%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    15.5 Kemi Badenoch 6%
    130 Tom Tugendhat

Next Conservative leader
    2.16 Rishi Sunak 46%
    3.65 Penny Mordaunt 27%
    4.5 Liz Truss 22%
    15 Kemi Badenoch 7%
    170 Tom Tugendhat

To be in final two
    1.04 Rishi Sunak 96%
    1.6 Penny Mordaunt 63%
    2.42 Liz Truss 41%
    9 Kemi Badenoch 11%
    100 Tom Tugendhat
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250

Meanwhile, the Boris flying off from NATO to see the KGB story still isn't moving at any more than snails pace. Yes, he will soon be yesterday's man. But remains Prime Minister. And what a story.

At best his actions have been significantly questionable. At worst...

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1548686479592939524

Carole Codswallop?

How about a more creditable and serious news source? Like Novara Media.
    You'd rather smear a source than engage in the substance?
    Yes, I'm not going to give Codswallop the time of day, just as plenty here would say the same about Guido.

The substance is that Boris's Britain has been Ukraine's closest and fiercest European ally, and Putin's greatest European enemy. That is the substance.

Codswallop, Guido and the rest of the muckrakers can try and shift their own agenda onto everything, but lets stick with the substance.
    Thats the substance now. The story describes events before now. And had it been PM Milliband - whos dad was a Commie Traitor remember - slipping his minders to fly straight from the NATO summit to meet with the KGB you would have been fine with it? Course you would...

Apply the same rules to everyone or they are not rules. At the very least the smirking bully was rightly fired for doing the same with a friendly country. Russia is far from friendly.
    "Russia is far from friendly."

Well, Labour had Corbyn as leader for four years...

But your general point is well made. The problem is that this is what Johnson does: he likes power and money, and he gravitates towards it. In this case, Russian money. It is a stupid trait of his, especially when combined with his other trait of never taking responsibility for his actions.

Yet there is the other side of the ledger: if the Russian government sought to buy influence from him, then they utterly failed. He is an enemy of Russia.

We'll have to wait for more details, but my best guess is that this was individual Russian money buying influence, and not the state's money. Remember, many of these oligarchs are looking firmly over their shoulders towards Putin and his assassins.

But it is still an utterly stupid thing for him to have done. But also utterly characteristic.
    But Russia *did* buy influence from him. Lord Lebedev of Siberia for Cliff's sake. The burying of the report into Russian meddling. That Bonzo then abandoned his patrons because that was the popular thing to do won't have surprised them - he is a whore for hire.

I accept that there is no direct link between Johnson and Putin. But as MI6 bods have pointed out, there are no "ex KGB spies". Especially ones who were bezzies with Vlad.

Even if the worst case scenario is that as Foreign Secretary and then as PM got drunk and lairy with so many ex KGB types who accidentally made so many donations to the party and quite coincidentally ended up in the Lords despite JIC directives not to do so, its still a major security breech that would have buried any other politician and crucified them and the Labour with them had it been Miliband or Corbyn. Yet "nothing to see here" is the purported spin line from BR.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Overnight, and a bit more reality to the prices (Next PM)

Mordaunt 3.6/3.7
    Sunak 2.2/2.22
    Truss 4.8/4.9
    Badenoch 15.5/16
    Tugendhat 150/200
    Raab 220/360
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,124
    Xipe said:

Bright side: Parking in Sheffield is going to be an absolute breeze for the next few years

Will 50% of Seant creations make it I wonder?
  • Options
    Drinking hot tea is, surprisingly, a good idea in hot weather, according to this article.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11023101/How-survive-heatwave-MailOnline-speaks-experts-out.html#comments
  • Options
    OT (but then so is talking about the bloody weather) - Its a good job that I checked the FTSE movement today with the BBC before delving into my AJ Bell account to check on the portfolio as that shows my shares all down and about 10% down on average - Obviously a glitch but if I had done it first before checking the FTSE on the internet I would have been joining the waiting list for an ambulance today
  • Options
    Xipe said:

Roger said:

ClippP said:

There’s a bit of a myth about A/C in the hot south of Europe. Certainly in Spain, a large number of private residences - probably most - don’t have it. I have good friends in a town near Barcelona, both with well-paid jobs, who have just moved into a new flat that is not equipped with it. Very few older places are. Remember, too, that it’s very expensive to run - especially at a time when energy prices are very high.

The traditional antidote to the summer heat has always been shutters, open windows and shadowed areas on streets and in squares. For a lot of people that remains the case. Most of all, though, it has been the siesta. The southern Europeans were never lazy, they were just smart enough to know it’s absurd to work during the hottest part of the day.

In my experience, Mr Observer, the recipe is for closed <|b> windows. They are open throughout the night, so that the cooler air gets in, but get closed once the sun has risen and the air gets hotter outside.

Open windows and shutters shut if you live on the shady side of the street. Everything closed if you don't. That's how I remember it - but it was a few years ago!

Met saying it will be 32 degrees here when I am heading to bed this evening at 10:30ish.

Jeez. This is going to be a total nightmare.

That doesn't sound too bad. That's the temperature in the the South of France at the moment and it's ridiculously busy and people are paying a fortune for those temperatures
    You wanking idiot. He’s saying it will be 32C at night when he goes to bed and tries to sleep. Unprecedented in Britain

Not in the south of France in broad daylight
    Trying to sleep in temperatures above 30 is not uncommon for night shift workers; hardly unprecedented for them.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285
    edited July 2022
    Eabhal said:

IanB2 said:

I am not a massively travelled person internationally, but it seems odd to me that the maximum heat where I am today is going to be between 16.00 and 18.00, and tomorrow from 14.00 to 16.00.

I'd have expected the maximum to be somewhere just after midday, not so late in the afternoon or early evening. Is this the result of the cause of the heatwave, or something to do with our inclination/orbit (my *impression* is that we in the UK usually have max heat in mid-afternoon, not lunchtime).
    I thought that the afternoon was always the hottest, since that was when the combination of the Sun plus heat re-radiating from the Earth reached its peak as opposed to just the Sun?
    Its like heating a saucepan of water - heat going in from the gas (sun) and escaping from the pan. You can turn the gas down from max and the pan continues to get hotter. Similarly, warmest time of year is usually late July or early August, not mid June.
    The best way to cook scrambled eggs.

Enjoying the "hottest place" ticker on sky news. Cornwall at the mo.
    Says 24; I have 23 down here on the Island currently. But the coast should be quickly overtaken by London as the sun gets going - here there's a fair bit of light cloud.

Today's predicted max here is 27 - so it shouldn't get too much hotter, although if the cloud clears the 'feels like' will be higher. I await your reports of eggs frying on pavements and the like from heat central...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Drinking hot tea is, surprisingly, a good idea in hot weather, according to this article.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11023101/How-survive-heatwave-MailOnline-speaks-experts-out.html#comments

Isn’t curry meant to be good? Encouraging sweat?

The government should set up enormous “scorching Vindaloo curry and fresh pots of scalding tea” dispensaries in car parks. Saving thousands of lives
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255
    Xipe said:

Andy_JS said:

Dr Ellie Mackin Roberts
    @EllieMRoberts

It just makes dying of heatstroke more agreeable
    The alcohol opens up capillaries so making heat dissipation easier?

That's all I could think of.
  • Options

Xipe said:

Will 50% of Seant creations make it I wonder?
    Didn't one of them die quickly over the weekend? Orka came and went before Zippy appeared in his place.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,280

Xipe said:

Roger said:

ClippP said:

Met saying it will be 32 degrees here when I am heading to bed this evening at 10:30ish.

That doesn't sound too bad. That's the temperature in the the South of France at the moment and it's ridiculously busy and people are paying a fortune for those temperatures
    You wanking idiot. He’s saying it will be 32C at night when he goes to bed and tries to sleep. Unprecedented in Britain

Trying to sleep in temperatures above 30 is not uncommon for night shift workers; hardly unprecedented for them.
    Could be one factor why shift-working is so bad for a person's health?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Dr Ellie Mackin Roberts
    @EllieMRoberts

The beer is to replace sugar and salts lost through sweating and peeing. It is for the same reason @Foxy recommended Coke and crisps.
  • Options

OT (but then so is talking about the bloody weather) - Its a good job that I checked the FTSE movement today with the BBC before delving into my AJ Bell account to check on the portfolio as that shows my shares all down and about 10% down on average - Obviously a glitch but if I had done it first before checking the FTSE on the internet I would have been joining the waiting list for an ambulance today

Well.... the FTSE is slightly up on most short term measures: 1 week, 1 month, 1 year. But I suspect like most of us you also have a high % of US and other non-UK shares ?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    Andy_JS said:

Chinese drink hot water.
  • Options

Xipe said:

Roger said:

ClippP said:

Roger, bless him, is also focusing on the south of France where it will actually top out at an equable 31C today. Entirely tolerable

Contrast with Paris, which will be a grisly 41C, or parts of the SW, which might beat the French record of 46C. Ugh

Indeed the southern UK and central west France are slated to be some of the hottest places on earth for the next 48 hours
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,645
    My most effective solution to heat by far is to spend the day somewhere air conditioned. Thus I am off to the office.

Second best - but not to be combined with the first - is to jump in a full paddling pool in t-short and shorts, get the clothes soaked, then enjoy up to an hour of beautiful evaporative cooling. Works an absolute treat.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    I appreciate Kemi is still a live outsider, but could Tom T do the race a favour and bow out this morning. He'll finish last & he knows he's going to finish last.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255

Taz said:

MaxPB said:

No way now for Penny to win. That story about purposefully lying about her true intentions for a policy is dynamite.

Heaven help us.
    I think Sunak still has a good chance with the membership. Truss is just so terrible at public speaking and gives no presence at all.

The whole Brexit ERG lunacy has come to its own mad ending where the ERG are supporting the woman who campaigned loudly for Remain rather than the guy who has been an ardent leaver his whole political life.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    edited July 2022

Dr Ellie Mackin Roberts
    @EllieMRoberts

A quick way to cool down that she doesn’t mention is to hold your wrist under a running cold tap.
  • Options
    41ºC here now, and still climbing.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Xipe said:

Roger said:

ClippP said:

Lazarus!
  • Options

ClippP said:

Not when it's 40C in the shade!

Keep windows and curtains/blinds closed all day
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I appreciate Kemi is still a live outsider, but could Tom T do the race a favour and bow out this morning. He'll finish last & he knows he's going to finish last.

Does it help Badenoch for Tugendhat to stay in the race? it gives her an extra round of voting to try and build momentum to overhaul one of the three frontrunners.
  • Options

Dr Ellie Mackin Roberts
    @EllieMRoberts

A quick way to cool down that she doesn’t mention is to hold your wrist under a running cold tap.
    Yes. The wrists and the ankles are places where veins are close to the surface, and so are good spots to cool oneself down.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. JohnL, yes, but people have internal thermostats which account for that. That's why we're comfortable in night time temperatures that would be chilly during the day, and during daytime temperatures that would be oppressive at night.

But that does remind me that I should check my old biopsych textbooks in case there's anything useful on homeostasis.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    Andy_JS said:

Dr Ellie Mackin Roberts
    @EllieMRoberts

People who don't like water deserve to die.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I've changed my mind on Sunak vs Truss. Sunak would be the best option out of those two.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Andy_JS said:

Drinking hot tea is rarely not a good idea.

I worry that none of my daughters yet seem to have developed a fondness for tea.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581

Dr Ellie Mackin Roberts
    @EllieMRoberts

Or good advise often given in the Deep South - go soak yer head!
  • Options

Well.... the FTSE is slightly up on most short term measures: 1 week, 1 month, 1 year. But I suspect like most of us you also have a high % of US and other non-UK shares ?
    no i meant just todays movement
  • Options

Dr Ellie Mackin Roberts
    @EllieMRoberts

And she got tons of replies questioning how she could be 'genuine' Australian given her European heritage!
  • Options
    Mr. Password, yes, it gives Badenoch more breathing space.

Conversely, it may be worst for Mordaunt who now seems on the slide.
  • Options
    "People should "just take it easy" and go to the beach to cope with the "ferocious" heat over the next two days, a Cabinet Minister has suggested.

Kit Malthouse, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, told Sky News that those living in the Midlands and London should head to the coast as it is likely to be "cooler"." (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/18/met-office-weather-heatwave-warning-uk-schools-work/
  • Options

Dr Ellie Mackin Roberts
    @EllieMRoberts

Yes. The wrists and the ankles are places where veins are close to the surface, and so are good spots to cool oneself down.
    Hence the ice in the armpit advice from that immigrant Australian...
  • Options
    Surrey now 26 C
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Cicero said:

There is a story circulating in Finland which is extremely negative for a key figure in the British Cabinet. I understand that there is considerable litigation underway concerning this story, so for the sake of OGH I will neither report what or who. However, it is extremely serious. Though the various rumoured injunctions and even super injuctions may hold for a while, I think that the story may still break quite soon. The new Conservative leader might be facing a near existential threat to the well being of the party.

Blimey. This is where we need Leon and his amazing twitter skills, so it is a shame about his ban.
    What’s he banned for this time?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"People should "just take it easy" and go to the beach to cope with the "ferocious" heat over the next two days, a Cabinet Minister has suggested.

Kit Malthouse, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, told Sky News that those living in the Midlands and London should head to the coast as it is likely to be "cooler"." (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/18/met-office-weather-heatwave-warning-uk-schools-work/

This is Fucking Mental on so many levels:
    1. Coast resorts get inundated with people who struggle to park / find drinks / find toilets / not drown
    2. For those without a car they get to avoid traffic hell and substitute it with train hell. Pax heading to Blackpool and Skegvegas may get stuck there with trains back cancelled
    3. What part of the "For Cliff's sake do not travel about" advice wasn't clear?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012

Cicero said:

There is a story circulating in Finland which is extremely negative for a key figure in the British Cabinet. I understand that there is considerable litigation underway concerning this story, so for the sake of OGH I will neither report what or who. However, it is extremely serious. Though the various rumoured injunctions and even super injuctions may hold for a while, I think that the story may still break quite soon. The new Conservative leader might be facing a near existential threat to the well being of the party.

Blimey. This is where we need Leon and his amazing twitter skills, so it is a shame about his ban.
    I think his Chinese cousin has now joined us
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Andy_JS said:

I've changed my mind on Sunak vs Truss. Sunak would be the best choice between those two.

Sunak is unfortunately the only one who exudes competence.

The trouble is, of course, that is mostly down to his polished presentation skills and privileged background.

Actually looking at his time in the treasury, he's presided over the cost of living crisis and seems to have no answers as to what to do with it.

He promises to fix the broken economy - couldn't he have done that as chancellor?

While at the treasury he allegedly blocked funding to sort out the cladding defect scandal that's plagued leaseholders in flats, trying to push the bills back onto ordinary people, while forcing them to live in unsafe homes. (Compare this to how the Australian government set up a fund to rectify building defects over there).

Squint beneath the polished exterior and you'll see how completely out of touch he is. Doesn't know how to use a contactless card in a shop, billionaire family, wife was a non dom, that infamous video of him saying he doesn't have any working class friends.

Sunak is all polish and presentation, and very little substance underneath. I can't remember who described him as "the Davos candidate" but that feels accurate. Government by billionaires, for billionaires. The Labour attack lines will write themselves.
    Sunak's response to most of the "why didn't he do x" jibes is "because the boss wouldn't allow it". He's already pinned the worst of the stupid on Bonzo ("because the boss wanted it") so he will continue to do so.

This is always the case when someone leaves suddenly. Pin any shit you don't want to own on the now departed person.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Taz said:

MaxPB said:

Heaven help us.

The whole Brexit ERG lunacy has come to its own mad ending where the ERG are supporting the woman who campaigned loudly for Remain rather than the guy who has been an ardent leaver his whole political life.

This is where I think Truss is being underestimated. She somehow managed to pull this off, she's audacious and good at politics.
  • Options

Cicero said:

He isn't banned. Merely regenerated.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002
    IanB2 said:

Dr Ellie Mackin Roberts
    @EllieMRoberts

And she got tons of replies questioning how she could be 'genuine' Australian given her European heritage!
    And gave credit to the Boonwurra (?) people, original inhabitants of the land!
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Cicero said:

Unweighted Scottish subsamples.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    edited July 2022
    We had continental-style wooden shutters fitted in all our main rooms a few weeks ago. It really is lovely and cool.
    Is there a PB award for smug post of the year?
  • Options
    28C at Biggin Hill and Southend. 9.30am

If everyone in the UK now turns on the oven and runs a tumble dryer, the record will go

COME ON BRITAIN, YOU CAN DO THIS
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    IanB2 said:

Surrey now 26 C

There's no need to apologise.
  • Options

We had continental-style wooden shutters fitted in all our main rooms a few weeks ago. It really is lovely and cool.

42ºC outside for me right now, but a cool 23º in the air conditioned apartment.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Met office now suggesting 43c!

Is there a chance this starts to really escalate?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

This is Fucking Mental on so many levels:
    1. Coast resorts get inundated with people who struggle to park / find drinks / find toilets / not drown
    2. For those without a car they get to avoid traffic hell and substitute it with train hell. Pax heading to Blackpool and Skegvegas may get stuck there with trains back cancelled
    3. What part of the "For Cliff's sake do not travel about" advice wasn't clear?
    He seems to be having some sort of midlife crisis, with all those blond highlights in his hair?
  • Options
    Mr. Al, no, but in German you'd be called der Fensterselbstgefälligmeister.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Pulpstar said:

Does it help Badenoch for Tugendhat to stay in the race? it gives her an extra round of voting to try and build momentum to overhaul one of the three frontrunners.
    There is a very (outlandish) scenario where PM's vote collapses today post-the pile on and newspaper stories (plus the Speccie one today) and TT is the main beneficiary.

Two other things:

1. Check out the Telegraph's columnists' view of the debate - some interesting observations

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/18/who-won-tory-leadership-debate-itv-truss-mordaunt-sunak/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

2. Note the ERG comments to Francois' whip to vote for Braverman. A fair bit of dissension from RW MPs suggesting that they don't see Truss as the one to keep their seats.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    This is notable, if only because the Conservative party is less of a broad church than it has been in living memory.

"You had to keep reminding yourself these were five people who are actually in the same party"

@ChrisMasonBBC gives his verdict on last night's Conservative leadership TV debate

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1548944204843417600
  • Options
    Cornwall edges Surrey, back in the lead at 26.1
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

If there's less cloud than forecast then peak temperature could easily be a few degrees hotter than the best guess forecast. There's a limit to how bad things can get though because there's high confidence the Atlantic will push the hot air away to the East by Wednesday.

However, one stranded train without power, a motorway pileup causing hours-long tailbacks and a few barbecue fires out of control could certainly create an apocalyptic feel for the evening news.
  • Options
    It looks to me as if the No Confidence debate will start some time around or after 4pm and run through to the vote at 10pm?

Given that the Government tabled it, you'd normally expect them to move it, but I assume they will pass this job across to Starmer?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It looks to me as if the No Confidence debate will start some time around or after 4pm and run through to the vote at 10pm?

Given that the Government tabled it, you'd normally expect them to move it, but I assume they will pass this job across to Starmer?

Have any of the journalists managed to sneak a temperature sensor into the chamber so that we can have measurements of the temperature of the debate?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Xipe said:

Roger said:

ClippP said:

You take the piss out this site and OGH. You get banned, come back under yet another name, lie about it, play nice for a few posts but are back to slinging personal abuse within 48 hours of getting the ban hammer.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

FPT

I think this is shaping up to be a nightmare for most of us but a dream for Labour.

Mordaunt really seems to have fluffed her lines. Badenoch won’t quite make the cut, so it’s going to end up being a runoff between dull and flawed but fundamentally fairly professional Rishi, and Truss.

The membership will vote for Liz. She will prove to be every bit as bad as her predecessor, and surrounded by the same clowns. Meanwhile the economy will get worse as will relations with the EU and the coherence of the Union, The public will think “bugger this for a laugh” and seriously shit on
    the Tories in 2024.

Out of all the candidates, the one who will generate zero polling bounce or even a new nadir is Truss.

Not just a dream for Labour. SNP, SG and PC will be overjoyed. As indeed you imply.
    Truss is definitely our dream result, but I just don’t think we’re going to get that lucky.
    Quite. Admittedly somewhat to my relief, given she would probably start a nuclear war just to improve her postings on Conservative Home, and generate a cosplay Maggie set against a mushroom cloud or three.

Hint: MOPP 4 noddy suits don't do a great deal for one's blonde hairstyle.
    I don't get the dressing up. It's so thuddingly literal. It's not 'power dressing for the 21st century' like Theresa May and her tennis ball necklaces, it's literally 'I'm going to wear an identical Maggie blouse'. Does she think it's subtle? She'll be doing the Maggie walk with the inclined head and carrying her handbag by the crook of her arm next.
    It is, more than a bit. That bow-tie thingy ( @MoonRabbit would know what it is, but I'm only a poor ignorant male) was so blatant.
    It shows a woman very uncertain of herself that she has to so obviously copy someone else. By her age you'd expect her to be much more confident in herself. But she isn't.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    Xipe said:

Xipe said:

Farooq said:

Xipe said:

We may see a really important UK weather record broken in the next two days - but not (just) the obvious highest temp ever, instead: the record highest minimum

At present that is 23.9 from August 2003, in Brighton

London tomorrow is not expected to go below 24C: absolutely tropical weather

Hello Leon. Fuck off.
    Is this normal on Political Betting?
    My God you are such a knob.
    I'm not entirely sure what a humble ethnographer of pre-Columbian cultures has done - to deserve such barbed and bitter contumely after three comments
    Ignore them. Some of us are friendly, gently flirtatious even.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    Eabhal said:

How?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    Cyclefree said:

Xipe said:

Xipe said:

Farooq said:

Xipe said:

We may see a really important UK weather record broken in the next two days - but not (just) the obvious highest temp ever, instead: the record highest minimum

At present that is 23.9 from August 2003, in Brighton

London tomorrow is not expected to go below 24C: absolutely tropical weather

Hello Leon. Fuck off.
    Is this normal on Political Betting?
    My God you are such a knob.
    I'm not entirely sure what a humble ethnographer of pre-Columbian cultures has done - to deserve such barbed and bitter contumely after three comments
    Ignore them. Some of us are friendly, gently flirtatious even.
    Get a room you two.

And Leon - Zippy - really?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,317

In our loft extension, I closed the west-facing curtains (with window open) and attached some black-out type sheets with suction cups on the velux-type windows facing east (again both open now) - 30.1 degrees up there right now!
This discussion has been closed.