Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rule breaking Rishi wins the debate as Kemi puts the bad in Badenoch – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,719
edited July 2022 in General
Rule breaking Rishi wins the debate as Kemi puts the bad in Badenoch – politicalbetting.com

A snap Opinium poll of 1,001 people who watched the debate shows Rishi Sunak won, with 24% of those surveyed thinking he performed best, followed by Tom Tugendhat (19%)Penny Mordaunt got 17%, followed by Liz Truss (15%) and Kemi Badenoch (12%) https://t.co/dFXRsPHra8 pic.twitter.com/RTEmBebBE5

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,675
    Test
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346

Test

Match Special
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Prediction for the next round:

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Penny loses the big mo but just retains her place. Badenoch and Tom run out of steam.

Tom then endorses Mordaunt, and she slightly increases her lead over Truss.

Badenoch's support then splits mostly for Truss and some for Sunak, putting Sunak and Truss in the final two by a gnat's whisker.

Prediction for the fourth round:

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Prediction for the final round:

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

Why do you think Truss will go up and Badenoch down?
    Truss has received endorsements from Braverman and other significant Brexity types, and her performance was punchy and confident, very much framing it as her vs Sunak. I think it will have reassured that wing she is the right candidate and Sunak's lame attempt to derail her as a former LD and remainer will only make them more determined to back her.

Badenoch had a quiet evening, but even without that after the impressive opening rounds I feel like the MPs will have been thinking about her lack of experience over the weekend. I think she and Tugendhat will both suffer as their backers ponder what the point is of continuing to back them when they clearly will not be in the running much longer, so I think some of hers will drift away.

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,437
    Tories to play Coronation Chicken to stop Sunak
  • Options
    Bit harsh on Truss. I thought she spanked Mordaunt as the leading Anti-Sunak candidate.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896
    FPT

I think this is shaping up to be a nightmare for most of us but a dream for Labour.

Mordaunt really seems to have fluffed her lines. Badenoch won’t quite make the cut, so it’s going to end up being a runoff between dull and flawed but fundamentally fairly professional Rishi, and Truss.

The membership will vote for Liz. She will prove to be every bit as bad as her predecessor, and surrounded by the same clowns. Meanwhile the economy will get worse as will relations with the EU and the coherence of the Union, The public will think “bugger this for a laugh” and seriously shit on
    the Tories in 2024.

Out of all the candidates, the one who will generate zero polling bounce or even a new nadir is Truss.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Bit harsh on Truss. I thought she spanked Mordaunt as the leading Anti-Sunak candidate.

So did 15% of the audience, but thems the poll numbers.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

Indeed. No standout winner though really. Sunak with some clear water between him and the others, but its a river not an ocean.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    TimS said:

FPT

I think this is shaping up to be a nightmare for most of us but a dream for Labour.

Mordaunt really seems to have fluffed her lines. Badenoch won’t quite make the cut, so it’s going to end up being a runoff between dull and flawed but fundamentally fairly professional Rishi, and Truss.

The membership will vote for Liz. She will prove to be every bit as bad as her predecessor, and surrounded by the same clowns. Meanwhile the economy will get worse as will relations with the EU and the coherence of the Union, The public will think “bugger this for a laugh” and seriously shit on
    the Tories in 2024.

Out of all the candidates, the one who will generate zero polling bounce or even a new nadir is Truss.

The Tories real problem is that their membership is so mentalist that they can't see this. If they are very very lucky the PMs will remove her from consideration.
  • Options
    TimS said:

FPT

the Tories in 2024.

FWIW, Labour supporters don't especially want her either. There's only so far I can push enjoying watching the Tories fuck things up before I become seriously concerned that people are going to freeze or starve this winter.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    Meanwhile ConHome finds Badenoch trounces Sunak 60% to 34% and Mordaunt 59% to 31%.

Badenoch also easily beats Truss 61% to 31%.

However she likely goes out before the last 3

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/17/the-complete-run-offs-from-our-next-tory-leader-survey-badenoch-first-truss-second-sunak-third-mordaunt-fourth-tugendhat-fifth/
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,195
    FPT:
    moonshine said:

Did all those saying Truss did better watch the same thing as me?! Does no one have anything to say about her praising the Bank of Japan for “keeping inflation low”? What a helmet. All those years round Cabinet and her grasp of economics is frighteningly poor.

Wait.

Who said that the BoJ did a great job keeping inflation low? That's a spectacularly moronic comment.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

Indeed. No standout winner though really. Sunak with some clear water between him and the others, but its a river not an ocean.
    The question is: was that because no one stood out, or was the audience just seriously unimpressed with any of them? Is there a sentiment tracker appended to that?
  • Options
    FPT:

I was recently watching Stephen Kinnock at a Britain in Changing Europe event. Interesting that he was against any kind of regulatory divergence with the EU. So although Labour's policy is NOT to rejoin the single market and customs union they want us to comply with all the rules anyway. Presumably this is so we can rejoin the SM and CU at some point without too much difficulty.

Before you mock him it isn't clear that the conservative party has much of an idea either. We left because we didn't want to be subjugated to the EU's rules. However we'll happily copy whatever rules they have and may also introduce in future so we can trade easily with them. So we have inflicted a substantial amount of economic pain on ourselves for effectively nothing. We do have control of migration policy now but the response at the moment is to import essential workers from outside of Europe to replace the ones who have gone home to Spain etc. I'm not sure this is what leavers had in mind.

Do we want to chart our own path or not? And I notice there has been almost no talk in the Tory leadership debate about Northern Ireland. I would have thought that with Johnson, the man who flat out lied to them, removed from power it might be slightly easier to resolve the internal border issue. Perhaps we'll just continue with the 'we'll threaten a trade war if you insist on us sticking to the agreement we signed' approach.

I have no problem with regulatory divergence, but it is worth noting that there is likely to be only a very small market for products that don't comply with FCC, UL and CE standards.
  • Options
    Mordaunt made part of her appeal that only she had won a former Labour seat, and that only she could win the next election. Sunak simply has to upend that if he is to have any chance with members, make them see they may not be enthusiastic, but only he can win.

I'm not sure he can do that.

Against Truss it may not matter as I don't think she will argue only she can win, she will campaign to be as pure a tory as ever existed.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,106
    edited July 2022
    If Badenoch goes out, most of her supporters will move to Truss and Truss will be one of the two to go through to the membership. I'm not sure whether the other one will be Sunak or Mordaunt.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    On topic, the polling is hardly overwhelmingly conclusive, is it?

It’s still basically, “Hmm, not sure.”
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Penny loses the big mo but just retains her place. Badenoch and Tom run out of steam.

Badenoch's support then splits mostly for Truss and some for Sunak, putting Sunak and Truss in the final two by a gnat's whisker.

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

Truss has received endorsements from Braverman and other significant Brexity types, and her performance was punchy and confident, very much framing it as her vs Sunak. I think it will have reassured that wing she is the right candidate and Sunak's lame attempt to derail her as a former LD and remainer will only make them more determined to back her.

Badenoch had a quiet evening, but even without that after the impressive opening rounds I feel like the MPs will have been thinking about her lack of experience over the weekend. I think she and Tugendhat will both suffer as their backers ponder what the point is of continuing to back them when they clearly will not be in the running much longer, so I think some of hers will drift away.

TT's power will never be as great as it is today and tomorrow. His withdrawing from the race and giving an endorsement has the power to potentially ensure a top two finish for any of Liz, Rishi and Penny.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Did all those saying Truss did better watch the same thing as me?! Does no one have anything to say about her praising the Bank of Japan for “keeping inflation low”? What a helmet. All those years round Cabinet and her grasp of economics is frighteningly poor.

The actual detail of what she said I'd regard as largely irrelevant.

She won, relative to Mordaunt, in my eyes because she seemed the most anti-Sunak, had no major presentational problems, and Mordaunt seemed oddly subdued.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If Badenoch goes out, most of her backers will support Truss and Truss will be one of the two to go through to the membership. I'm not sure whether the other one will be Sunak or Mordaunt.

Nah, she and they will endorse Rishi, they are singing from the same hymn sheet as Sunak on tax and spending.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    edited July 2022
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:

moonshine said:

Wait.

Who said that the BoJ did a great job keeping inflation low? That's a spectacularly moronic comment.
    The Truss. I was hoping she’d say the Swiss Central Bank.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2022
    I'll be amazed if Kemi and Tugendhat are not out in the next round. One or both may be back in the future, though.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,106
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

Meanwhile ConHome finds Badenoch trounces Sunak 60% to 34% and Mordaunt 59% to 31%.

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/17/the-complete-run-offs-from-our-next-tory-leader-survey-badenoch-first-truss-second-sunak-third-mordaunt-fourth-tugendhat-fifth/

These are the voters who matter. Tory MPs take note when voting tomorrow.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

TT's power will never be as great as it is today and tomorrow. His withdrawing from the race and giving an endorsement has the power to potentially ensure a top two finish for any of Liz, Rishi and Penny.
    So, endorse PM to exclude Lizzie.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,481
    For the reasons I have given before I think Kemi will back Sunak. She seems to have very good memories of working with him in the Treasury and there is a lot of mutual respect. Whether her supporters will follow her is less certain but some will.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,321
    HYUFD said:

This reinforces the point that membership support for Truss isn't that deep - she does worst vs Badenoch.

I still think after a campaign there is every chance the members vote Sunak over Truss.
  • Options
    I always said Badenoch was overrated and way too inexperienced.

No surprise Labour are using her responses in tonight's debates in their attack ads.

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1548751253068562433
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

The question is: was that because no one stood out, or was the audience just seriously unimpressed with any of them? Is there a sentiment tracker appended to that?
    There was no studio audience I don't think
  • Options
    Sunak as PM and Badenoch as CoE actually would not frighten me as much as might be expected. I think they might just steer us through choppy waters without the dreadful damage that Truss would inflict.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

There was no studio audience I don't think
    Referring to the selected audience that Opinium had as a panel, sorry wasn't clear.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,944
    kle4 said:

moonshine said:

She won, relative to Mordaunt, in my eyes because she seemed the most anti-Sunak, had no major presentational problems, and Mordaunt seemed oddly subdued.
    That doesn't match the post debate poll. Mordaunt beat Truss, albeit narrower than last time.
  • Options

No surprise Labour are using her responses in tonight's debates in their attack ads.

I know who "mad" is, but who is "terrible" and who is "difficult"?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

The Tory membership had Mordaunt in the lead only two days ago. The next survey won't have Badenoch nearly as high after tonight's debate performance.
    MPs know these characters way better than all of us so they shouldn't be too influenced by surveys of members who barely know them.
  • Options
    Just to stick my neck out on prediction again.

Tory contest prediction 17 July

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Good stuff Labour.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    kle4 said:

Mordaunt made part of her appeal that only she had won a former Labour seat, and that only she could win the next election. Sunak simply has to upend that if he is to have any chance with members, make them see they may not be enthusiastic, but only he can win.

I'm not sure he can do that.

Against Truss it may not matter as I don't think she will argue only she can win, she will campaign to be as pure a tory as ever existed.

I think she can get a lot of appeal if she can get to the membership vote stage. She has won a Labour seat, and if she can sell the belief that politics is broken and needs to change especially in the Conservative party following Boris then that's powerful stuff.

Right know I don't think she's going to make it, Sunak will get the MPs and so will Truss. But in two years time when they need someone to lead them in opposition she could be a good bet. She would have to really take the time to learn a few things these next two years, develop her policies more and establish her stance on certain issues. Not an unrealistic prospect at all.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

I suspect this is what most of us on here are missing about the Badenoch vote. The MPs voting tomorrow will have that in their head more than the debate.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

moonshine said:

That doesn't match the post debate poll. Mordaunt beat Truss, albeit narrower than last time.
    That's why I said 'in my eyes'. Moonshine clearly felt Truss did poorly too.
  • Options

That is a great little tweet.
  • Options

Or maybe they don't like the idea of the Conservatives having a black female PM.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,057
    edited July 2022
    TimS said:

FPT

the Tories in 2024.

Not just a dream for Labour. SNP, SG and PC will be overjoyed. As indeed you imply.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I do wonder if part of this is truculent members being more Anti-Sunak than mightbe the case once we get to the members stage, as they seek to express their displeasure at him being in the final two, but he cannot rely on that and it must concern him.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    MrEd said:

Or maybe they don't like the idea of the Conservatives having a black female PM.

You're nearly as obsessed with race as the GOP.

You're so woke.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    MrEd said:

Er, even were that so that doesn't make any sense in the context of the tweet, since that was not an attack on Badenoch specifically, it was an attack on the Tories as a whole by slagging off the entire field. It merely used a convenient quote of hers.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Good stuff Labour.
    Infantile

And always remember who you are batting for: Mogadon Man. Just think how this contest would have looked in 1995 with a LOTO who was not one of the undead.
  • Options

MrEd said:

You're so woke.
    As are quite a lot of Labour activists. A female black migrant as Tory MP would have had their heads explode.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,429
    HYUFD said:

Gosh. And the MPs are going to exclude her from the run-off. The members will be livid. Imagine going to a restaurant and the dish you want - the one you've been really looking forward to ordering - is 'off'.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,627
    edited July 2022
    I just don't understand Mordaunt-mania. Having watched both debates, I've concluded she's clueless - just producing a random word salad, and showing no depth of understanding of anything at all. I strongly suspect that if you transcribed every answer she gave and read it out of context, it would read as gibberish. For this reason, I suspect Tom T will, reluctantly, endorse Sunak rather than Mordaunt, if he endorses anybody. He won't be keen on style over substance.

And I say this as a Labour chap who, if asked a week ago, would have said: a) PM was my preferred PM out of the candidates, and b) PM would be the one Labour feared most.

Not any more. I neither want her as PM, nor fear her as an opponent.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

FPT

the Tories in 2024.

Not just a dream for Labour. SNP, SG and PC will be overjoyed. As indeed you imply.
    Truss is definitely our dream result, but I just don’t think we’re going to get that lucky.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Gosh. And the MPs are going to exclude her from the run-off. The members will be livid. Imagine going to a restaurant and the dish you want - the one you've been really looking forward to ordering - is 'off'.
    Nah. They had barely heard of her 2 weeks ago, will retain some fond memorie of her 2 weeks from now, but will move on.

The chef said they were out of the beef, but the pork was still available, and you end up loving it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I wouldn't pay too much attention if I was an MP, the membership wanted Mordaunt half an hour ago. Now they're right off her.
  • Options

Rather naughty, but quick and slick.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,673
    Betfair next prime minister
    2.36 Rishi Sunak 42%
    3.4 Penny Mordaunt 29%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    13.5 Kemi Badenoch 7%
    140 Tom Tugendhat
    220 Dominic Raab

Next Conservative leader
    2.38 Rishi Sunak 42%
    3.3 Penny Mordaunt 30%
    4.5 Liz Truss 22%
    14 Kemi Badenoch 7%
    170 Tom Tugendhat

To be in final two
    1.06 Rishi Sunak 94%
    1.7 Penny Mordaunt 59%
    2.46 Liz Truss 41%
    10 Kemi Badenoch 10%
    100 Tom Tugendhat
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Don't know how HYUFD feels, but my sense (certainly talking to folks on Friday in now super marginal Esher and Walton) is that Sunak can beat Truss. His Thatcherite fiscally responsible line will command a (grudging) respect from members.

Not predicting that outcome yet, but the notion that Liz will be the inevitable victor is fanciful.

PS And being on the same side as Dominic Raab is slightly perturbing... but needs must.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

FPT

the Tories in 2024.

Truss is definitely our dream result, but I just don’t think we’re going to get that lucky.
    Quite. Admittedly somewhat to my relief, given she would probably start a nuclear war just to improve her postings on Conservative Home, and generate a cosplay Maggie set against a mushroom cloud or three.

Hint: MOPP 4 noddy suits don't do a great deal for one's blonde hairstyle.
  • Options
    Liz Truss would 'undermine the Union', say Scottish Tories

THE Scottish Tories have insisted Liz Truss will undermine the Union if she becomes Prime Minister and set back the party's recovery north of the border.

The six Scottish MPs and 31 MSPs are currently split on who to support in the leadership race, with West Aberdeenshire & Kincardine MP Andrew Bowie, Highland MSP Donald Cameron and mid-Scotland MSP Dean Lockhart throwing their weight behind Rishi Sunak, while others have chosen to support Penny Mordaunt including Berwickshire, Roxburgh, and Selkirk MP John Lamont and Glasgow MSP Annie Wells.

The SNP maintains that all five candidates are out of tune with Scottish opinion and continue to deny democracy over a referendum, but some nationalists believe that a Truss victory and her association with Johnson would play most to their advantage.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20284822.liz-truss-undermine-union-say-scottish-tories/
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,524

I just don't understand Mordaunt-mania. Having watched both debates, I've concluded she's clueless - just producing a random word salad, and showing no depth of understanding of anything at all. I strongly suspect that if you transcribed every answer she gave and read it out of context, it would read as gibberish. For this reason, I suspect Tom T will, reluctantly, endorse Sunak rather than Mordaunt, if he endorses anybody. He won't be keen on style over substance.

And I say this as a Labour chap who, if asked a week ago, would have said: a) PM was my preferred PM out of the candidates, and b) PM would be the one Labour feared most.

Like I said - blank canvas we projected our hopes and dreams onto.

Now we see a few colours being added and they're not exactly Michaelangelo.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Sunak now a clear favourite on Betfair, 2.4. Mordaunt out to 3.45, Truss 4.7, Badenoch 14.5.

That said, Sunak is almost sure to make the last 2, so 2.4 means he's not odds on yet. I really liked Badenoch and felt she could potentially reach beyond the Tories, but I agree with others that she's had her moment - enough for a good Cabinet seat, not more. I'd be surprised if she endorses Sunak but it might stop Truss if she did - otherwise I think Truss will edge it to the final 2.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:

moonshine said:

Wait.

That would be Liz Truss.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I liked the dying Magic Money Tree as a logo for it too. Very clever.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,448
    edited July 2022
    Good evening

I have been readying for our trip to Scotland and the Caledonian canal and only caught the end of the debate

Sunak seemed to be the best and I just find the rest very run of the mill

While we are talking of hot weather, we lost a local 24 year old female paddle boarder in Conwy on Friday evening, notwithstanding all the efforts of the RNLI and the coastguard, my son and his colleagues rescued a father and son who had fallen out of their kayak and been in the sea for 40 minutes the night previously, and tonight they have been out to rescue a lilo floating out to sea with its occupant

Indeed the coastguard are receiving numerous 999 calls at present, and people need to respect the sea and not put their lives at risk or the volunteer RNLI crews
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yes, that was a good touch.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Don't know how HYUFD feels, but my sense (certainly talking to folks on Friday in now super marginal Esher and Walton) is that Sunak can beat Truss. His Thatcherite fiscally responsible line will command a (grudging) respect from members.

Not predicting that outcome yet, but the notion that Liz will be the inevitable victor is fanciful.

PS And being on the same side as Dominic Raab is slightly perturbing... but needs must.

I'd have put money on Raab backing the continuity Boris candidate rather than the traitor Sunak, as Boris and co clearly see him.

I wonder if he was offered a good post, and the reason for that was to help with members to blunt the continuity Boris attacks - after all, Raab definitely was loyal to the end with Boris.
  • Options

THE Scottish Tories have insisted Liz Truss will undermine the Union if she becomes Prime Minister and set back the party's recovery north of the border.

The six Scottish MPs and 31 MSPs are currently split on who to support in the leadership race, with West Aberdeenshire & Kincardine MP Andrew Bowie, Highland MSP Donald Cameron and mid-Scotland MSP Dean Lockhart throwing their weight behind Rishi Sunak, while others have chosen to support Penny Mordaunt including Berwickshire, Roxburgh, and Selkirk MP John Lamont and Glasgow MSP Annie Wells.

The SNP maintains that all five candidates are out of tune with Scottish opinion and continue to deny democracy over a referendum, but some nationalists believe that a Truss victory and her association with Johnson would play most to their advantage.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20284822.liz-truss-undermine-union-say-scottish-tories/

Hehehehehee. *sprays coffee over keyboard*
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Foxy said:

I'm not convinced that many people take in that the Tory logo is a tree. Nor are they, clearly, hence needing a label.
  • Options

Good evening

I have been readying for our trip to Scotland and the Caledonian canal and only caught the end of the debate

While we are talking of hot weather, we lost a local 24 year old female paddle boarder in Conwy on Friday evening, notwithstanding all the efforts of the RNLI and the coastguard, my son and his colleagues rescued a father and son who had fallen out of their kayak and been in the sea for 40 minutes the night previously, and tonight they have been out to rescue a lilo floating out to sea with its occupant

Indeed the coastguard are receiving numerous 999 calls at present, and people need to respect the sea and not put their lives at risk or the volunteer RNLI crews

We've had a lot of deaths in Scotland this year because of people getting into trouble in Loch Lomond and the like. Hot weather makes it worse.
  • Options

Good evening

Absolutely right. Same with the mountain rescue folk.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Hilarious that Peston is writing along the lines of "god look at this Tory blue-on-blue" when it was basically the ITV-chosen format of the debate that encouraged that.
  • Options

MrEd said:

You're so woke.
    As are quite a lot of Labour activists. A female black migrant as Tory MP would have had their heads explode.
    Even so, better sooner than later, re female black migrant.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,926
    Truss looks value at current odds no? Supposedly a bit ahead of rishi in 1:1 contest and perhaps a bit more likely to pick up support than Mordaunt.

What am I missing?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,448
    Carnyx said:

Good evening

Absolutely right. Same with the mountain rescue folk.
    Very much so
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

It’s all funny really - I started off as “yes, Mordaunt looks good” to coming around to the fact that Sunak looks the best bet

Having thought debates never made a difference, they obviously have here
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

FPT:

Not sure about this.

Take a look at Nick's summary about how well each one came across personality-wise. I'm not saying Nick is right (and there seems to be a wide range of opinions on her about who did well) but he is an ex-MP and so may have a better understanding of how MPs look at these things. I thought his comment about Badenoch was interesting in that she seems to be looking to broaden her appeal. She almost certainly will benefit from the Con Home survey released today. Truss did enough tonight to probably stop the doubts but I don't see why Sunak would pick up so many votes as his performance tonight was pretty much like his performance on Friday.

TT definitely looks out after tonight. The one I would question about is Penny M. I didn't think she was that great and her closing statement was a bit weak. I can see a few of her backers thinking that she will never get over the self-ID when it comes to the membership and, together with not that inspiring a performance, wondering should they switch.

I think the only safe assumption I would make about this race at the moment is that TT will be out tomorrow.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Truss looks value at current odds no? Supposedly a bit ahead of rishi in 1:1 contest and perhaps a bit more likely to pick up support than Mordaunt.

What am I missing?

She's a Lib Dem Remainer that will go down badly with the Tory members.

Then add in her republicanism.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

JohnO said:

I'd have put money on Raab backing the continuity Boris candidate rather than the traitor Sunak, as Boris and co clearly see him.

I wonder if he was offered a good post, and the reason for that was to help with members to blunt the continuity Boris attacks - after all, Raab definitely was loyal to the end with Boris.
    Raab was shoved aside so Truss could get FCO.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited July 2022
    FWIW prediction for the next round:

Sunak - 110 (+9)
    Mordaunt - 84 (+1)
    Truss - 89 (+25)
    Badenoch - 50 (+1)
    Tugendhat - 22 (-9)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Do the members matter? They are predominantly nutters, they are only worth 25 per head per year, and it is in most cases very easy for individual MPs to persuade their own constituency parties that their own individual vote (which is secret anyway) was right but thwarted by the herd.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,646
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

FPT

the Tories in 2024.

Quite. Admittedly somewhat to my relief, given she would probably start a nuclear war just to improve her postings on Conservative Home, and generate a cosplay Maggie set against a mushroom cloud or three.

I don't get the dressing up. It's so thuddingly literal. It's not 'power dressing for the 21st century' like Theresa May and her tennis ball necklaces, it's literally 'I'm going to wear an identical Maggie blouse'. Does she think it's subtle? She'll be doing the Maggie walk with the inclined head and carrying her handbag by the crook of her arm next.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

School of Jackson Pollock?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

Of course she will - she’s as dull as dishwater
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    ydoethur said:

I don't agree here. I think she has real skills as an emotional communicator none of the others have, but I also think Sunak is in marginally the better position for now. The idea from another poster that she might be the most ready in two years' time, I find quite plausible.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    kle4 said:

JohnO said:

Speculation in the Sunday Times that he might be Home Secretary in a Rishi govt.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

FPT

the Tories in 2024.

I don't get the dressing up. It's so thuddingly literal. It's not 'power dressing for the 21st century' like Theresa May and her tennis ball necklaces, it's literally 'I'm going to wear an identical Maggie blouse'. Does she think it's subtle? She'll be doing the Maggie walk with the inclined head and carrying her handbag by the crook of her arm next.
    It is, more than a bit. That bow-tie thingy ( @MoonRabbit would know what it is, but I'm only a poor ignorant male) was so blatant.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183
    MrEd said:

You really are a piece of work, throwing around groundless accusations of racism.

• Options

MrEd said:

You're so woke.
    Totally, it's my middle name.

But a Black Tory PM would still cause many Labour activists to froth.
  • Options

MrEd said:

You really are a piece of work, throwing around groundless accusations of racism.

The irony meter just exploded.
  • Options
    Johnson next permanent role

Ambassador to USA 7/1
    Editor of Evening Standard 10/1
    Next host of Countdown 10/1
    Mayor of London 16/1
    Staffer for Donald Trump 33/1
    Speaker 50/1
    Classics master at Eton 50/1
    Ambassador to the EU 80/1
    Commissioner for Standards in Public Life 100/1
    Controller of Channel 4 100/1
    Interior designer 250/1
    500 bar

Betway
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,568
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

Yes, but he’d look an idiot backing Truss, and although I am sure he could work with Sunak, endorsing him would be a stretch given his ‘clean handed outsider’ pitch on the clown, so realistically he can only come out for Mordaunt.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

It’s all funny really - I started off as “yes, Mordaunt looks good” to coming around to the fact that Sunak looks the best bet

Sunak has been giving every impression of having never turned up to the economics lectures during his PPE degree. He’s still banging on about “the nation’s credit card” and indicating he wants to balance the books even during a recession.

Osborne was heavily criticised for trying to bring down the deficit a full 2-3 years after the crash, Sunak says he wants to do it during what will likely prove the most difficult fiscal year for growth in the next decade.

I hope it’s just messaging and he knows better. But he talks about it with the closest he gets to passion. And that should be more than a little worrying for us all.

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,926

rkrkrk said:

What am I missing?

She's a Lib Dem Remainer that will go down badly with the Tory members.

Then add in her republicanism.
    Do you think she makes final 2?
  • Options

Hilarious that Peston is writing along the lines of "god look at this Tory blue-on-blue" when it was basically the ITV-chosen format of the debate that encouraged that.

Besides, it's what you want and expect at a time like this.

I really feel like media people are trying to hype disagreements over tax and some minor personal sniping as more significant than is the case.
  • Options

Ambassador to USA 7/1
    Mayor of London 16/1
    Speaker 50/1
    Interior designer 250/1
    500 bar

Betway

No mention of HIGNFY, or standing for Prez of the USA?
  • Options

MrEd said:

Linguistic oddity, that. "Nasty piece of work" used to be the expression, pow itself being neutral and good, bad and indifferent pieces of work being on the cards.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

FPT:

Not sure about this.

Take a look at Nick's summary about how well each one came across personality-wise. I'm not saying Nick is right (and there seems to be a wide range of opinions on her about who did well) but he is an ex-MP and so may have a better understanding of how MPs look at these things. I thought his comment about Badenoch was interesting in that she seems to be looking to broaden her appeal. She almost certainly will benefit from the Con Home survey released today. Truss did enough tonight to probably stop the doubts but I don't see why Sunak would pick up so many votes as his performance tonight was pretty much like his performance on Friday.

TT definitely looks out after tonight. The one I would question about is Penny M. I didn't think she was that great and her closing statement was a bit weak. I can see a few of her backers thinking that she will never get over the self-ID when it comes to the membership and, together with not that inspiring a performance, wondering should they switch.

I think the only safe assumption I would make about this race at the moment is that TT will be out tomorrow.
    I'm assuming Sunak picks up some from the bleedage from Tugendhat and some from Mordaunt, though she picks ups enough elsewhere to still move forward slightly.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

Yes, but he’d look an idiot backing Truss, and although I am sure he could work with Sunak, endorsing him would be a stretch given his ‘clean handed outsider’ pitch on the clown, so realistically he can only come out for Mordaunt.
    Same applies to Truss. his "clean skin" shtick means it has to be PM or Kemi.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    moonshine said:

Sunak has been giving every impression of having never turned up to the economics lectures during his PPE degree. He’s still banging on about “the nation’s credit card” and indicating he wants to balance the books even during a recession.

Osborne was heavily criticised for trying to bring down the deficit a full 2-3 years after the crash, Sunak says he wants to do it during what will likely prove the most difficult fiscal year for growth in the next decade.

I hope it’s just messaging and he knows better. But he talks about it with the closest he gets to passion. And that should be more than a little worrying for us all.

Indeed. I also think Mordaunt's stance against this in the debate was correct, and the sort of position that may lead to Tugendhat lending her some votes, despite his professed and more public position of extreme caution.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

You're so woke.
    Totally, it's my middle name.

But a Black Tory PM would still cause many Labour activists to froth.
    No, it really wouldn't.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,646

MrEd said:

Who does he think he is, Jolyon?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Carnyx said:

Ambassador to USA 7/1
    Mayor of London 16/1
    Speaker 50/1
    Interior designer 250/1
    500 bar

Betway

No mention of HIGNFY, or standing for Prez of the USA?
    Head of Better Together 2
This discussion has been closed.