Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rule breaking Rishi wins the debate as Kemi puts the bad in Badenoch – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,572
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Meanwhile ConHome finds Badenoch trounces Sunak 60% to 34% and Mordaunt 59% to 31%.

Badenoch also easily beats Truss 61% to 31%.

However she likely goes out before the last 3

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/17/the-complete-run-offs-from-our-next-tory-leader-survey-badenoch-first-truss-second-sunak-third-mordaunt-fourth-tugendhat-fifth/

Gosh. And the MPs are going to exclude her from the run-off. The members will be livid. Imagine going to a restaurant and the dish you want - the one you've been really looking forward to ordering - is 'off'.
    Nah. They had barely heard of her 2 weeks ago, will retain some fond memorie of her 2 weeks from now, but will move on.

The chef said they were out of the beef, but the pork was still available, and you end up loving it.
    And the whole point of the Tory system is to stop the members ordering trifle for main course in the first place.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,443
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Truss looks value at current odds no? Supposedly a bit ahead of rishi in 1:1 contest and perhaps a bit more likely to pick up support than Mordaunt.

What am I missing?

She's a Lib Dem Remainer that will go down badly with the Tory members.

Then add in her republicanism.
    Do you think she makes final 2?
    Only if shock evidence emerges that she was once a member of Plaid Cymru.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,554

FWIW prediction for the next round:

Sunak - 110 (+9)
    Mordaunt - 84 (+1)
    Truss - 89 (+25)
    Badenoch - 50 (+1)
    Tugendhat - 22 (-9)

Truss was dreadful again from what I have seen.

Still, you might be right as the Braverman votes move across.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    edited July 2022

Sunak - 110 (+9)
    Mordaunt - 84 (+1)
    Truss - 89 (+25)
    Badenoch - 50 (+1)
    Tugendhat - 22 (-9)

I reckon..

Sunak 116 (+15)
    Mordaunt 100 (+17)
    Truss 86 (+22)
    Badenoch 54 (+5)

Tom Tugs to bow out Monday morning.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,686
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Truss looks value at current odds no? Supposedly a bit ahead of rishi in 1:1 contest and perhaps a bit more likely to pick up support than Mordaunt.

What am I missing?

She's a Lib Dem Remainer that will go down badly with the Tory members.

Then add in her republicanism.
    Do you think she makes final 2?
    Yesterday I thought it was a 33% chance she made the final 2 nowv I think it is 50/50.

That assessment is entirely down to Penny Mordaunt.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Just to stick my neck out on prediction again.

Tory contest prediction 17 July

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Prediction for the next round:

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Penny loses the big mo but just retains her place. Badenoch and Tom run out of steam.

Tom then endorses Mordaunt, and she slightly increases her lead over Truss.

Badenoch's support then splits mostly for Truss and some for Sunak, putting Sunak and Truss in the final two by a gnat's whisker.

Prediction for the fourth round:

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Prediction for the final round:

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

FPT:

Not sure about this.

Take a look at Nick's summary about how well each one came across personality-wise. I'm not saying Nick is right (and there seems to be a wide range of opinions on her about who did well) but he is an ex-MP and so may have a better understanding of how MPs look at these things. I thought his comment about Badenoch was interesting in that she seems to be looking to broaden her appeal. She almost certainly will benefit from the Con Home survey released today. Truss did enough tonight to probably stop the doubts but I don't see why Sunak would pick up so many votes as his performance tonight was pretty much like his performance on Friday.

TT definitely looks out after tonight. The one I would question about is Penny M. I didn't think she was that great and her closing statement was a bit weak. I can see a few of her backers thinking that she will never get over the self-ID when it comes to the membership and, together with not that inspiring a performance, wondering should they switch.

I think the only safe assumption I would make about this race at the moment is that TT will be out tomorrow.
    I'm assuming Sunak picks up some from the bleedage from Tugendhat and some from Mordaunt, though she picks ups enough elsewhere to still move forward slightly.
    As @IshmaelZ says, if TT wants to make a clean sweep, he only really has two options. In that regards, I do wonder whether Badenoch's comment that 'we should move on from Brexit' was a pitch to some of his supporters who support the clean start agenda.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,197
    edited July 2022
    moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

moonshine said:

Did all those saying Truss did better watch the same thing as me?! Does no one have anything to say about her praising the Bank of Japan for “keeping inflation low”? What a helmet. All those years round Cabinet and her grasp of economics is frighteningly poor.

Wait.

Who said that the BoJ did a great job keeping inflation low? That's a spectacularly moronic comment.
    That would be Liz Truss.
    "All we need to do is to copy Japan, and engineer a three decade long economic stagnation that sees debt-to-GDP swell to more than 250% of GDP. This, my friends, this is progress."
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064

Carnyx said:

Johnson next permanent role

Ambassador to USA 7/1
    Editor of Evening Standard 10/1
    Next host of Countdown 10/1
    Mayor of London 16/1
    Staffer for Donald Trump 33/1
    Speaker 50/1
    Classics master at Eton 50/1
    Ambassador to the EU 80/1
    Commissioner for Standards in Public Life 100/1
    Controller of Channel 4 100/1
    Interior designer 250/1
    500 bar

Betway

No mention of HIGNFY, or standing for Prez of the USA?
    Head of Better Together 2
    Now that would be fun.
  • Options

MrEd said:

I always said Badenoch was overrated and way too inexperienced.

No surprise Labour are using her responses in tonight's debates in their attack ads.

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1548751253068562433

Or maybe they don't like the idea of the Conservatives having a black female PM.

You really are a piece of work, throwing around groundless accusations of racism.

Who does he think he is, Jolyon?
    Now where is my wife's kimono and that baseball bat?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

What am I missing?

I tend to agree.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,660
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

No surprise Labour are using her responses in tonight's debates in their attack ads.

Or maybe they don't like the idea of the Conservatives having a black female PM.

You really are a piece of work, throwing around groundless accusations of racism.
    Linguistic oddity, that. "Nasty piece of work" used to be the expression, pow itself being neutral and good, bad and indifferent pieces of work being on the cards.
    I think it's American, most of the stupid versions of phrases come from there.

'Tell me about it' is the American version of the British - 'Don't tell me about it', which makes much more sense, but you don't hear any more. 'I could care less' is another American one.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

You're nearly as obsessed with race as the GOP.

You're so woke.
    Totally, it's my middle name.

But a Black Tory PM would still cause many Labour activists to froth.
    No, it really wouldn't.
    It really would. Like Thatcher wasn't really a woman, KB couldn't really be black because TOREEEZ

Auntie Tom
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Penny loses the big mo but just retains her place. Badenoch and Tom run out of steam.

Badenoch's support then splits mostly for Truss and some for Sunak, putting Sunak and Truss in the final two by a gnat's whisker.

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

FPT:

Not sure about this.

Take a look at Nick's summary about how well each one came across personality-wise. I'm not saying Nick is right (and there seems to be a wide range of opinions on her about who did well) but he is an ex-MP and so may have a better understanding of how MPs look at these things. I thought his comment about Badenoch was interesting in that she seems to be looking to broaden her appeal. She almost certainly will benefit from the Con Home survey released today. Truss did enough tonight to probably stop the doubts but I don't see why Sunak would pick up so many votes as his performance tonight was pretty much like his performance on Friday.

TT definitely looks out after tonight. The one I would question about is Penny M. I didn't think she was that great and her closing statement was a bit weak. I can see a few of her backers thinking that she will never get over the self-ID when it comes to the membership and, together with not that inspiring a performance, wondering should they switch.

I think the only safe assumption I would make about this race at the moment is that TT will be out tomorrow.
    I'm assuming Sunak picks up some from the bleedage from Tugendhat and some from Mordaunt, though she picks ups enough elsewhere to still move forward slightly.
    As @IshmaelZ says, if TT wants to make a clean sweep, he only really has two options. In that regards, I do wonder whether Badenoch's comment that 'we should move on from Brexit' was a pitch to some of his supporters who support the clean start agenda.
    This wasn't about who TT endorses though, it was about whether he will lose any support in advance of the vote and his defeat. If some MPs were backing him principally as a steady option, Sunak could pick those up. We know not all MPs backing a candidate will follow that candidate anyway.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Ambassador to USA 7/1
    Mayor of London 16/1
    Speaker 50/1
    Interior designer 250/1
    500 bar

Betway

Now that would be fun.
    Not exactly a fair fight though.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

FPT:

Not sure about this.

If he's got any sense, he won't wait for the vote. Endorsing now buys him the best post leadership race Cabinet position - assuming his candidate wins, of course!
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Carnyx said:

Ambassador to USA 7/1
    Mayor of London 16/1
    Speaker 50/1
    Interior designer 250/1
    500 bar

Betway

But some think he might campaign for Yes!

A mixed blessing 😉

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,698
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Meanwhile ConHome finds Badenoch trounces Sunak 60% to 34% and Mordaunt 59% to 31%.

Badenoch also easily beats Truss 61% to 31%.

However she likely goes out before the last 3

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/17/the-complete-run-offs-from-our-next-tory-leader-survey-badenoch-first-truss-second-sunak-third-mordaunt-fourth-tugendhat-fifth/

These are the voters who matter. Tory MPs take note when voting tomorrow.
    The Tory membership had Mordaunt in the lead only two days ago. The next survey won't have Badenoch nearly as high after tonight's debate performance.
    MPs know these characters way better than all of us so they shouldn't be too influenced by surveys of members who barely know them.
    Especially when the ConHome "survey" is a classic ice cream poll, highly susceptible to manipulation by manipulators.

Might that be purpose for which it's deliberately designed?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Ambassador to USA 7/1
    Mayor of London 16/1
    Speaker 50/1
    Interior designer 250/1
    500 bar

Betway

Now that would be fun.
    Not exactly a fair fight though.
    He's been minister for the Union for what is it, a midge's bawhair under three years? Bit late to complain.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,211
    kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

On those figures Sunak can easily lend Mordaunt 5 to 10 MPs to knock out Truss in the final round and still top the poll
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

FPT:

Not sure about this.

This wasn't about who TT endorses though, it was about whether he will lose any support in advance of the vote and his defeat. If some MPs were backing him principally as a steady option, Sunak could pick those up. We know not all MPs backing a candidate will follow that candidate anyway.
    I don't think you can assume the Braverman vote will move en bloc to Truss as I don't think the ERG vote is as monolithic as made out (McVey and Davies were backing Hunt FFS). Plus, how many MPs in RW seats and not sitting on Francois' 31K majority really see Truss as the one who will keep them their seats?

The MP electorate in this Tory contest is a hell of a lot different from the previous contests in terms of its composition etc.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

On those figures Sunak can easily lend Mordaunt 5 to 10 MPs to knock out Truss in the final round and still top the poll
    Would that not doom him among members though? It'd be a bit obvious.
  • Options
    Number of Liberal Democrat seats at next UK GE - William Hill
    (The Lib Dems won 8 seats at the last GE, on the new boundaries, according to Baxter’s sums.)

Over 25 seats 4/7
    Over 40 seats 2/1
    Over 60 seats 13/2
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    Pulpstar said:

Sunak - 110 (+9)
    Mordaunt - 84 (+1)
    Truss - 89 (+25)
    Badenoch - 50 (+1)
    Tugendhat - 22 (-9)

I reckon..

Sunak 116 (+15)
    Mordaunt 100 (+17)
    Truss 86 (+22)
    Badenoch 54 (+5)

Counting out TT and KB who won’t get close. It has to be Mordaunt that wins by a process of elimination. Sunak can’t be trusted going into a recession. And Truss comes across as a less intelligent less electable version of Boris.

Mordaunt is a very imperfect candidate but as HYUFD says, if she appoints good people than the country might be ok. She can be the apple pie and curves for the breakfast tv sofas.

With Hunt as Chancellor (not Sunak!), Kemi as Chief Sec to Treasury, TT Foreign Sec, Wallace defence. And then some mug as Home. I struggle to find a job for Sunak because he doesn’t deserve the big jobs ahead of the others and he’s too savvy to do the Home Office. Might as well keep Javid where he is (was!). Education up for grabs in my cabinet if Sunak wants it.
  • Options
    Hadn't come across Rishi's faux WW2 style video trumpeting his Brexit credentials. I get he needs something like this, but it is a bit try hard.

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1548712009130295297?cxt=HHwWgoC-ub3XkP4qAAAA
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,713

Ambassador to USA 7/1
    Mayor of London 16/1
    Speaker 50/1
    Interior designer 250/1
    500 bar

Betway

Why are the odds so short on Commissioner for Standards in Public Life? Infinity to 1 more appropriate. Only possibility is for the laughs.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

Cameron lent a few MPs to Davis in 2005 in the last round to knock out Fox, IDS lent a few MPs to Clarke in 2001 to knock out Portillo, Boris likely lent a few to Hunt in 2019 to knock out Gove, did not stop any of them winning the membership vote
  • Options

Good evening

I have been readying for our trip to Scotland and the Caledonian canal and only caught the end of the debate

Sunak seemed to be the best and I just find the rest very run of the mill

While we are talking of hot weather, we lost a local 24 year old female paddle boarder in Conwy on Friday evening, notwithstanding all the efforts of the RNLI and the coastguard, my son and his colleagues rescued a father and son who had fallen out of their kayak and been in the sea for 40 minutes the night previously, and tonight they have been out to rescue a lilo floating out to sea with its occupant

Indeed the coastguard are receiving numerous 999 calls at present, and people need to respect the sea and not put their lives at risk or the volunteer RNLI crews

It's going to be rough for your son and his compatriots, as folks head for the water to beat the heat.

Big problem in Pacific Northwest when we get heatwaves, as the water is generally VERY cold, both saltwater (North Pacific, straits & Puget Sound) and freshwater (glacier-fed rivers).
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

FPT:

Not sure about this.

As IshmaelZ says, if TT wants to make a clean sweep, he only really has two options. In that regards, I do wonder whether Badenoch's comment that 'we should move on from Brexit' was a pitch to some of his supporters who support the clean start agenda.
    I don't think you can assume the Braverman vote will move en bloc to Truss as I don't think the ERG vote is as monolithic as made out (McVey and Davies were backing Hunt FFS). Plus, how many MPs in RW seats and not sitting on Francois' 31K majority really see Truss as the one who will keep them their seats?

The MP electorate in this Tory contest is a hell of a lot different from the previous contests in terms of its composition etc.
    Not assuming all of Braverman vote goes across, hence why Truss only up 20. I also assume a few switchers from Mordaunt, though both are on the basis the MPs in question felt Truss was stronger tonight, as I did though those polled did not.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Hadn't come across Rishi's faux WW2 style video trumpeting his Brexit credentials. I get he needs something like this, but it is a bit try hard.

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1548712009130295297?cxt=HHwWgoC-ub3XkP4qAAAA

I think that is rather funny. And always remember who the target audience is.
  • Options
    XipeXipe Posts: 47
    We may see a really important UK weather record broken in the next two days - but not (just) the obvious highest temp ever, instead: the record highest minimum

At present that is 23.9 from August 2003, in Brighton

London tomorrow is not expected to go below 24C: absolutely tropical weather

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    rkrkrk said:

What am I missing?

I think you're right. (Full disclosure - I'm +86 on Truss, +5 on Sunak, +19 on Badenoch, -40 on Mordaunt.)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,454
    IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

Linguistic oddity, that. "Nasty piece of work" used to be the expression, pow itself being neutral and good, bad and indifferent pieces of work being on the cards.
    Bit like "operator".
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    edited July 2022

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

'Tell me about it' is the American version of the British - 'Don't tell me about it', which makes much more sense, but you don't hear any more. 'I could care less' is another American one.
    It derives from Shakespeare. "What a piece of work is a man"
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,634
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

A question for you, HYUFD. I skim through ConHome comments from time to time. What strikes me is the very high proportion opposed to net zero and, frankly, a bit climate change sceptic. Do you think that is why their surveys are coming out so strongly in favour of Badenoch, as she's the only candidate who's expressed real doubt about the timetable for net zero? Do the views of those who write comments coincide, at least to some degree, to those who respond to their surveys?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,557
    We watched the new Persuasion tonight so missed the debate. Did anyone press Sunak on Ukraine?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    25 C at 10 in the evening !
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,076

(The Lib Dems won 8 seats at the last GE, on the new boundaries, according to Baxter’s sums.)

Over 25 seats 4/7
    Over 40 seats 2/1
    Over 60 seats 13/2

Under 25 seats is what because otherwise that’s a fool’s bet
  • Options
    Xipe said:

We may see a really important UK weather record broken in the next two days - but not (just) the obvious highest temp ever, instead: the record highest minimum

Hello Leon. Fuck off.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,949
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

moonshine said:

Did all those saying Truss did better watch the same thing as me?! Does no one have anything to say about her praising the Bank of Japan for “keeping inflation low”? What a helmet. All those years round Cabinet and her grasp of economics is frighteningly poor.

Wait.

Who said that the BoJ did a great job keeping inflation low? That's a spectacularly moronic comment.
    That would be Liz Truss.
    "All we need to do is to copy Japan, and engineer a three decade long economic stagnation that sees debt-to-GDP swell to more than 250% of GDP. This, my friends, this is progress."
    Yes, but getting to deflation from the current position would be quite some feat!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,605
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/piece of work

"First Known Use of piece of work
    1713, in the meaning defined above"

• Options

Good evening

I have been readying for our trip to Scotland and the Caledonian canal and only caught the end of the debate

Sunak seemed to be the best and I just find the rest very run of the mill

While we are talking of hot weather, we lost a local 24 year old female paddle boarder in Conwy on Friday evening, notwithstanding all the efforts of the RNLI and the coastguard, my son and his colleagues rescued a father and son who had fallen out of their kayak and been in the sea for 40 minutes the night previously, and tonight they have been out to rescue a lilo floating out to sea with its occupant

Indeed the coastguard are receiving numerous 999 calls at present, and people need to respect the sea and not put their lives at risk or the volunteer RNLI crews

It's going to be rough for your son and his compatriots, as folks head for the water to beat the heat.

Big problem in Pacific Northwest when we get heatwaves, as the water is generally VERY cold, both saltwater (North Pacific, straits & Puget Sound) and freshwater (glacier-fed rivers).
    Darwinism at its finest.

And I don't buy the Don't endanger the RNLI line, it's what they are there for and if they don't like the heat, keeping out of the kitchen is a very real option.
  • Options

We watched the new Persuasion tonight so missed the debate. Did anyone press Sunak on Ukraine?

Penny pressed him over defence spending.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

A question for you, HYUFD. I skim through ConHome comments from time to time. What strikes me is the very high proportion opposed to net zero and, frankly, a bit climate change sceptic. Do you think that is why their surveys are coming out so strongly in favour of Badenoch, as she's the only candidate who's expressed real doubt about the timetable for net zero? Do the views of those who write comments coincide, at least to some degree, to those who respond to their surveys?
    A fair amount I suspect, if Sunak or Mordaunt win I would expect some leakage on the right to Farage's RefUK though they also likely win back some voters from Labour and the LDs
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Xipe said:

Hello Leon. Fuck off.
    Is this normal on Political Betting?
  • Options
    Xipe said:

Is that icon photo from the Göbekli Tepe dig?

• Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

To stop America-bashing, a Scottish guy I know says 'He's some guy!' about people. It's neither a criticism nor a compliment, so however one replies 'yep, he's a dick' or 'yep, love him', the conversation can continue in that vein. You have to be quite lacking in confidence to make frequent use of such an opinionless opinion.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

That video is nauseating, it really is. Clever to get a nano-second snap of Truss backing remain in some debate, though.
  • Options
    eek said:

Over 25 seats 4/7
    Over 40 seats 2/1
    Over 60 seats 13/2

Under 25 seats is what because otherwise that’s a fool’s bet
    It is a classic fool’s bet!

Hills have form with these one-sided markets.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,925
    I don't think any of the likely winners will terrify the opposition.

Within a week of being in the spotlight the inexperienced candidates, Badenoch and Mordaunt, are unravelling faster than an unravelly thing. Truss has become (always was?) something of a joke. All 3 would wilt under a GE campaign unless they tried Boris's tactic of hiding in a fridge till the polls closed.

TomT is pretty good but far too sensible and remainy to stand any sort of chance with the membership. The people, lest we forget, who chose IDS over Ken Clarke and should really never have been allowed anywhere near the final decision ever again.

That leaves Sunak who will do OK but will be eminently beatable after 2 more years of economic gloom and doom.
  • Options
    Xipe said:

Farooq said:

Xipe said:

Hello Leon. Fuck off.
    Sean sock puppetry? Oh yes.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

Sunak - 110 (+9)
    Mordaunt - 84 (+1)
    Truss - 89 (+25)
    Badenoch - 50 (+1)
    Tugendhat - 22 (-9)

I reckon..

Sunak 116 (+15)
    Mordaunt 100 (+17)
    Truss 86 (+22)
    Badenoch 54 (+5)

Counting out TT and KB who won’t get close. It has to be Mordaunt that wins by a process of elimination. Sunak can’t be trusted going into a recession. And Truss comes across as a less intelligent less electable version of Boris.

Mordaunt is a very imperfect candidate but as HYUFD says, if she appoints good people than the country might be ok. She can be the apple pie and curves for the breakfast tv sofas.

With Hunt as Chancellor (not Sunak!), Kemi as Chief Sec to Treasury, TT Foreign Sec, Wallace defence. And then some mug as Home. I struggle to find a job for Sunak because he doesn’t deserve the big jobs ahead of the others and he’s too savvy to do the Home Office. Might as well keep Javid where he is (was!). Education up for grabs in my cabinet if Sunak wants it.
    If PM gets PM, I wouldn't expect KB to get into the cabinet. Her attacks have been very personal.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

A fair amount I suspect, if Sunak or Mordaunt win I would expect some leakage on the right to Farage's RefUK though they also likely win back some voters from Labour and the LDs
    Thanks - ties in with what I thought.
  • Options
    I'll risk a prediction - Sunak will get more MPs than people think on the elimination of TT and KB. He'll have a big lead.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Within a week of being in the spotlight the inexperienced candidates, Badenoch and Mordaunt, are unravelling faster than an unravelly thing. Truss has become (always was?) something of a joke. All 3 would wilt under a GE campaign unless they tried Boris's tactic of hiding in a fridge till the polls closed.

TomT is pretty good but far too sensible and remainy to stand any sort of chance with the membership. The people, lest we forget, who chose IDS over Ken Clarke and should really never have been allowed anywhere near the final decision ever again.

That leaves Sunak who will do OK but will be eminently beatable after 2 more years of economic gloom and doom.

Shhhh!
  • Options
    Xipe said:

Farooq said:

Xipe said:

Hello Leon. Fuck off.
    My God you are such a knob.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I'll risk a prediction - Sunak will get more MPs than people think on the elimination of TT and KB. He'll have a big lead.

Surely he can make both of them a massive offer.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,803
    JohnO said:

Don't know how HYUFD feels, but my sense (certainly talking to folks on Friday in now super marginal Esher and Walton) is that Sunak can beat Truss. His Thatcherite fiscally responsible line will command a (grudging) respect from members.

Not predicting that outcome yet, but the notion that Liz will be the inevitable victor is fanciful.

PS And being on the same side as Dominic Raab is slightly perturbing... but needs must.

It's very close between Rishi and Liz in the members at the moment but, as you and I know, the idea they're all bats is simply a caricature put around by our opponents.

They want to win GEs just as the MPs do.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

25 C at 10 in the evening !

With a south facing house we have invested in blackout material and ducktape for the windows
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

It really doesn't

What piece of work is a man, how noble in reason,
    how infinite in faculties, in form and moving,
    how express and admirable in action, how like an angel in apprehension,
    how like a god!

meaning, what an excellent piece of work, not "what a piece of shit".
  • Options
    OllyT said:

I suspect Mordaunt would be facing a leadership election by this time next year if she wins.

You read it here first folks.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,248
    Sunak comes out of this exchange with Truss really badly.

https://twitter.com/adrian_hilton/status/1548754814263128064
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/piece of work

"First Known Use of piece of work
    1713, in the meaning defined above"

Would be fab if they quoted or linked to the passage they claim to be referring to.
  • Options

Ambassador to USA 7/1
    Mayor of London 16/1
    Speaker 50/1
    Interior designer 250/1
    500 bar

Betway

I strongly advise anyone against using Betway. They have closed down any way of contacting them, live chat, telephone or email, and regularly lose bets or fail to honour them. Google their customer service record.

I think they're crooks. Don't go there.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I tend to agree. Tommy Tug End may not actually endorse him but that's the natural home of most of hia supporters. Some of Kemi's will go to Truss, but some fake ones will just go home to Sunak.
  • Options

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

To stop America-bashing, a Scottish guy I know says 'He's some guy!' about people. It's neither a criticism nor a compliment, so however one replies 'yep, he's a dick' or 'yep, love him', the conversation can continue in that vein. You have to be quite lacking in confidence to make frequent use of such an opinionless opinion.
    Or very canny to allow others to reveal their own views before sharing your own?

Avoids a LOT of unnecessary unpleasantness. Widely used by savvy salespeople including politicos.
  • Options

Xipe said:

Farooq said:

Xipe said:

Hello Leon. Fuck off.
    I'm not entirely sure what a humble ethnographer of pre-Columbian cultures has done - to deserve such barbed and bitter contumely after three comments
  • Options

I don't know what he was thinking. Predictable and easy to counter.
  • Options
    I think Sunak's plan is to get boosted by Kemi (helped by Lannister Gove) and Tugendhat and then ensure he faces off Penny Mordaunt in the member's vote, who he'll expose.

I expect her odds to continually erode but she'll be held up for a time by the prospect of her place in the final.
  • Options
    BBC News opens with a group of people doing a 1/2 marathon today in the heat in Richmond.

Are these people literally mad?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

Bit like "operator".
    I watched Donnie Brasco the other night. Not very good though shows Depp was quite a good actor at one time, but has a long disquisition about how "Forget about it" means I strongly agree or I strongly disagree, depending on context.
  • Options

Ambassador to USA 7/1
    Mayor of London 16/1
    Speaker 50/1
    Interior designer 250/1
    500 bar

Betway

I strongly advise anyone against using Betway. They have closed down any way of contacting them, live chat, telephone or email, and regularly lose bets or fail to honour them. Google their customer service record.

I think they're crooks. Don't go there.
    Thanks for the heads up, but I know that all bookies are crooks. Victor Chandler immediately closed my account when I made a killing at the 2007 Scottish GE. Hills and PP reduced my max stake to pennies after same election.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

That was a jaw droppingly shit question by Sunak.

This man cannot be Prime Minister
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,041

BBC News opens with a group of people doing a 1/2 marathon today in the heat in Richmond.

How do you think Kenyans train?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

It really doesn't

What piece of work is a man, how noble in reason,
    how infinite in faculties, in form and moving,
    how express and admirable in action, how like an angel in apprehension,
    how like a god!

meaning, what an excellent piece of work, not "what a piece of shit".
    Yes, the meaning is "something remarkable" in the original text and has been co-opted over the centuries to mean something extraordinary for positive or negative reasons, and now mainly meaning something negative.
    Words (and phrases) do this. "Wow" has recently come to mean something less awesome and more awful in some uses. Other times it can go the other way (see the evolution of "sick" from negative to positive in some uses).
  • Options
    William Shakespeare was an American?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,464

It would have been morning so before the worst heat.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

What meaning do you attach to "acclimatised"?
  • Options

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

Or very canny to allow others to reveal their own views before sharing your own?

Avoids a LOT of unnecessary unpleasantness. Widely used by savvy salespeople including politicos.
    Depends who you're speaking to. I'm not going to venture an opinion of my own if someone tries that on me.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

JohnO said:

Don't know how HYUFD feels, but my sense (certainly talking to folks on Friday in now super marginal Esher and Walton) is that Sunak can beat Truss. His Thatcherite fiscally responsible line will command a (grudging) respect from members.

Not predicting that outcome yet, but the notion that Liz will be the inevitable victor is fanciful.

PS And being on the same side as Dominic Raab is slightly perturbing... but needs must.

It's very close between Rishi and Liz in the members at the moment but, as you and I know, the idea they're all bats is simply a caricature put around by our opponents.

They want to win GEs just as the MPs do.
    Yes, but choosing Truss and then seeing her pay off her debts with the likes of Mogg and Dorries returning to their old jobs isn’t going to help much. Both Tories and the wider electorate are expecting a change of style.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    kinabalu said:

I agree, and I expect Sunak to have a big lead over Truss in the final MPs ballot, with Mordaunt fading.

Then it's down to the members, just as it was for us in Labour all those years ago. The sensible centre-leftism of Cooper or Burnham, or the socialist zealotry of our Jezza? Will Tory members go for the zealotry of Truss or stick with Sunak? 50:50 I reckon.
  • Options

Xipe said:

Farooq said:

Xipe said:

Hello Leon. Fuck off.
    https://kimbellart.org/collection/ap-197939

"Xipe Totec, the Aztec god of spring and regeneration, appears in many Mesoamerican cults. A fertility deity, Xipe Totec vividly conveys the concept of death and rebirth by wearing the flayed skin of a sacrificial victim."
  • Options

Not originally, but he has definitely taken a one way trip to some undiscover'd country.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Not sure you can dismiss him because of one misfired question

Fact is the Tories have an unpalatable choice of highly flawed candidates, but one will have to do. Their only solace is that the winner is facing an equally uninspiring Labour leader

I reckon Mordaunt or Sunak could beat Starmer, but probably won't due to the overwhelming desire for a change and economic headwinds. Badenoch (too young and callow), Tugendhat (too lightweight and meaningless) and Truss (too stilted and bonkers) would pretty much guarantee defeat, possibly a calamitous defeat
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,111
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

Cameron lent a few MPs to Davis in 2005 in the last round to knock out Fox, IDS lent a few MPs to Clarke in 2001 to knock out Portillo, Boris likely lent a few to Hunt in 2019 to knock out Gove, did not stop any of them winning the membership vote
    That sort of thing probably won't happen this time because it's probably going to be close between the final 3 and so none of them can afford to loan votes to other candidates.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,557
    kinabalu said:

What do you mean by a big lead? Even if he does quite well from here he will struggle to get more than 40% of the MPs.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

None of them can.
    But one of them will.
    You decide.
    Er. No you don't.
  • Options
    Xipe said:

Xipe said:

Farooq said:

Xipe said:

Hello Leon. Fuck off.
    I'm not entirely sure what a humble ethnographer of pre-Columbian cultures has done - to deserve such barbed and bitter contumely after three comments
    He was making you wait.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Liz Truss spent her entire education under Tory governments. So if it was shit we know who was running the shitshow.
  • Options

I think Sunak's plan is to get boosted by Kemi (helped by Lannister Gove) and Tugendhat and then ensure he faces off Penny Mordaunt in the member's vote, who he'll expose.

I expect her odds to continually erode but she'll be held up for a time by the prospect of her place in the final.

It would be quite delicious if he spider webs her into the final two because he thinks he's wounded her fatally and then she turns around and whoops him with the members.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

Xipe said:

Farooq said:

Xipe said:

Hello Leon. Fuck off.
    https://kimbellart.org/collection/ap-197939

"Xipe Totec, the Aztec god of spring and regeneration, appears in many Mesoamerican cults. A fertility deity, Xipe Totec vividly conveys the concept of death and rebirth by wearing the flayed skin of a sacrificial victim."
    Yes rebirth and regeneration. It was obvious who it was before he'd posted anything more than "Test".
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

What meaning do you attach to "acclimatised"?
    Yes. I was being flippant.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Surely he can make both of them a massive offer.
    This made me giggle.
  • Options

Truss was much better tonight. That and her Yorkshire straight talking and lack of polish stuff.

It should be enough to keep her ahead of Badenoch.
  • Options
    Hurrah. Can open the window. Cooler out than in. Just.
  • Options

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Liz Truss spent her entire education under Tory governments. So if it was shit we know who was running the shitshow.
    Labour councils and education authorities.
  • Options

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

Depends who you're speaking to. I'm not going to venture an opinion of my own if someone tries that on me.
    You could give an equally ambiguous response. Then see how long the ping-pong match goes on!
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Not originally, but he has definitely taken a one way trip to some undiscover'd country.
    from where no traveller returns
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

That sort of thing probably won't happen this time because it's probably going to be close between the final 3 and so none of them can afford to loan votes to other candidates.
    If Sunak has a clear lead in the penultimate round he will lend votes to Mordaunt, almost guaranteed.

Remember Gavin Williamson is managing Sunak's campaign with MPs and that is the kind of thing he will be plotting to ensure Sunak has knocked out Truss and Badenoch before the membership vote
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    Xipe said:

Xipe said:

Farooq said:

Xipe said:

Hello Leon. Fuck off.
    Presumably it will be revealed that the "ethnography" is a 19-year old Venezuelan émigré girlfriend in London.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

So, second round was:

Sunak - 101
    Mordaunt - 83
    Truss - 64
    Badenoch - 49
    Tugendhat - 32
    Braverman - 27

Sunak - 116 (+13)
    Mordaunt - 88 (+5)
    Truss - 84 (+20)
    Badenoch - 45 (-4)
    Tugendhat - 25 (-7)

Sunak - 119 (+6)
    Mordaunt - 104 (+16)
    Truss - 92 (+8)
    Badenoch - 40 (-5)

Sunak - 133 (+14)
    Mordaunt - 110 (+6)
    Truss - 112 (+20)

Yeah. It can still be a three-way 119.
This discussion has been closed.