Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rule breaking Rishi wins the debate as Kemi puts the bad in Badenoch – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018

There’s a bit of a myth about A/C in the hot south of Europe. Certainly in Spain, a large number of private residences - probably most - don’t have it. I have good friends in a town near Barcelona, both with well-paid jobs, who have just moved into a new flat that is not equipped with it. Very few older places are. Remember, too, that it’s very expensive to run - especially at a time when energy prices are very high.

The traditional antidote to the summer heat has always been shutters, open windows and shadowed areas on streets and in squares. For a lot of people that remains the case. Most of all, though, it has been the siesta. The southern Europeans were never lazy, they were just smart enough to know it’s absurd to work during the hottest part of the day.

Interestingly a colleague from the south of France reckons the siesta is not so much to avoid the heat of the day, it's to catch up on sleep when it's too hot to sleep before midnight but you still want to be up early enough to catch the cool of the morning.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,024
    Mr. Doethur, I bet fools heading to the beach will soon discover just how much they hate sand.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    Jonathan said:

The rain came last night and cooled everything down. Very pleasant now, but clearly getting hotter.

You lucky bastard. You lucky, lucky bastard. Ooh what wouldn’t I give to be spat at in the face.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,568

There’s a bit of a myth about A/C in the hot south of Europe. Certainly in Spain, a large number of private residences - probably most - don’t have it. I have good friends in a town near Barcelona, both with well-paid jobs, who have just moved into a new flat that is not equipped with it. Very few older places are. Remember, too, that it’s very expensive to run - especially at a time when energy prices are very high.

The traditional antidote to the summer heat has always been shutters, open windows and shadowed areas on streets and in squares. For a lot of people that remains the case. Most of all, though, it has been the siesta. The southern Europeans were never lazy, they were just smart enough to know it’s absurd to work during the hottest part of the day.

I am not a massively travelled person internationally, but it seems odd to me that the maximum heat where I am today is going to be between 16.00 and 18.00, and tomorrow from 14.00 to 16.00.

I'd have expected the maximum to be somewhere just after midday, not so late in the afternoon or early evening. Is this the result of the cause of the heatwave, or something to do with our inclination/orbit (my *impression* is that we in the UK usually have max heat in mid-afternoon, not lunchtime).
    Hottest point of the day is normally around 2-3 pm. Remember that BST adds an hour to the effective time as far as the height of the sun is concerned. If the timing of peak comes later it indicates the synoptic situation is still evolving toward warmer conditions as the day passes.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,728

I am not a massively travelled person internationally, but it seems odd to me that the maximum heat where I am today is going to be between 16.00 and 18.00, and tomorrow from 14.00 to 16.00.

I'd have expected the maximum to be somewhere just after midday, not so late in the afternoon or early evening. Is this the result of the cause of the heatwave, or something to do with our inclination/orbit (my *impression* is that we in the UK usually have max heat in mid-afternoon, not lunchtime).
    I thought that the afternoon was always the hottest, since that was when the combination of the Sun plus heat re-radiating from the Earth reached its peak as opposed to just the Sun?
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I thought that the afternoon was always the hottest, since that was when the combination of the Sun plus heat re-radiating from the Earth reached its peak as opposed to just the Sun?
    Its like heating a saucepan of water - heat going in from the gas (sun) and escaping from the pan. You can turn the gas down from max and the pan continues to get hotter. Similarly, warmest time of year is usually late July or early August, not mid June.
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, I bet fools heading to the beach will soon discover just how much they hate sand.

“I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.”
  • Options

Once the sun gets going you won’t want to be in bare feet!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,418
    Roger said:

kle4 said:

Only one where Sunak has a big lead is on the economy...the one which Tory Members will probably feel different because he isn't promising tax cuts immediately.

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1548786016928014343?cxt=HHwWjoCxwaarsv4qAAAA

The most interesting figure is the one for compassion.

The two cabinet ministers score a pitiful 6 each. The other three who have no obvious association with Johnson's government around 22.

One of the features of Johnson's administration which is overlooked is how unpleasant it has become. Commentators concentrate on the amiable buffoon angle and forget that Patel is the most venal Home Secretary within memory Dorries and Rees-Mogg ooze malevolence Truss will break treaty obligations with a flick of her finger and Suella Braverman is poison.

In short Johnson has reconstructed the Nasty Party and destroyed years of Cameron and Hilton's hard work. All behind the camouflage of Brexit.

It's a pleasant relief that there is now some evidence that voters have been noticing and don't like it
    Recreated in Johnson's own craven image.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,019
    IanB2 said:

Its like heating a saucepan of water - heat going in from the gas (sun) and escaping from the pan. You can turn the gas down from max and the pan continues to get hotter. Similarly, warmest time of year is usually late July or early August, not mid June.
    The best way to cook scrambled eggs.

Enjoying the "hottest place" ticker on sky news. Cornwall at the mo.
  • Options
    Ms* Moonshine, the prequels have aged very well, thanks to the flaws being clunkiness rather than buggering up established characters, the meme-heavy dialogue, and delightful Obi-wan/Palpatine moments.

*hoping I remembered rightly.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,944

Leicester City Council has closed its beach:

Please note that Leicester's beach and funfair on Humberstone Gate will be closed on Monday and Tuesday as the Met Office issues its first ever Red warning for exceptional heat.
    #UKHeatwave #Heatwave

More here: https://t.co/dAAeS8HzIY https://t.co/JWc545TLXe
  • Options
    Mr. B2, hot sand (along with water) was one of the favoured things for medieval types under siege to throw at the enemy.

Hottest temperatures I ever had (until now, perhaps) were 40C or so in Beijing. Turns out, even the rocks of a castle get hot when baked in that temperature.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,728
    edited July 2022

Ah, sand. That way the dark side is.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,028
    All very well, but how many times did he actually vote against the government ?

https://mobile.twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1548734295493283840
    Tom Tugendhat sounds unimpressed by spats between his rivals over Government’s economic record.

"I'm finding it very difficult to understand who's disowning, and who's defending, the record of the last few years that they've been in Government."
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,014
    edited July 2022
    Foxy said:

Please note that Leicester's beach and funfair on Humberstone Gate will be closed on Monday and Tuesday as the Met Office issues its first ever Red warning for exceptional heat.
    #UKHeatwave #Heatwave

That should save your colleagues a few heatstroke admissions.

I get the feeling that Brighton beach this afternoon, is going to look like it did the day they put on a free Fatboy Slim concert - when what they should be doing, is lighting every sign board on the A23, saying “Beach is Closed”
  • Options
    Another Russian ammunition warehouse caught fire and blew up about 5 a.m. today reportedly in Raiske, a suburb of Russian-occupied Nova Kakhovka in Kherson Oblast.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1548913257972260864
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,829
    I presume we’ve done this?

The Spectator has unearthed a speech by Penny Mordaunt to LGBT activists in 2018, in which she suggests her strategy is to 'not be straight' about gender legislation. She says she ‘can’t be seen to be helping with’ proposed laws she privately champions

https://twitter.com/ripx4nutmeg/status/1548727092765941764
  • Options
    Mr. B, gosh, how sad.

Still, at least the exploding ammunition warehouse will have proved a useful alarm for anyone at risk of sleeping in.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Another Russian ammunition warehouse caught fire and blew up about 5 a.m. today reportedly in Raiske, a suburb of Russian-occupied Nova Kakhovka in Kherson Oblast.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1548913257972260864

This heatwave takes another casualty.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,437
    Morning all! I'm facing up to a terrifying 26c peak tomorrow, so will send cooling waves of sympathy southwards. Meanwhile I see that the rail industry has rather sensibly pulled the plug on various operations over the next two days. As the forecast temperatures are above the bucking temperature of rails and sag temperature of some of the older / cheaper overhead power wire installations, it seems sensible. What is left running is expecting some Railtrackesque emergency speed restrictions.

So, cue the hoardes trying to get the train to Blackpool or Skegness or some other place which will be godawful in the heat, having a bad journey there, then getting stuck, then the newspapers soiling themselves in excitement at all the coverage of poor families left stranded and roasted by wastrel unions refusing to operate trains just because they didn't want to kill people.
  • Options

The Spectator has unearthed a speech by Penny Mordaunt to LGBT activists in 2018, in which she suggests her strategy is to 'not be straight' about gender legislation. She says she ‘can’t be seen to be helping with’ proposed laws she privately champions

The top 3 candidates are all unsuitable. If the MPs are going to exclude Kemi and TT, then I wish their supporters would just collapse the government and force a general election straight away.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,843
    edited July 2022

Please remember to put water out for the birds for the next couple of days. Something not too deep or with a brick/stone in for them to stand on. Ta.

Ideal is one of those plastic shallow saucers that a plant pot stands stands in.

I'm just off for a bike through the various country parks around our town.
  • Options

Ms* Moonshine, the prequels have aged very well, thanks to the flaws being clunkiness rather than buggering up established characters, the meme-heavy dialogue, and delightful Obi-wan/Palpatine moments.

And because he neutered Jar Jar Binks after the first one.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,873

Cicero said:

There is a story circulating in Finland which is extremely negative for a key figure in the British Cabinet. I understand that there is considerable litigation underway concerning this story, so for the sake of OGH I will neither report what or who. However, it is extremely serious. Though the various rumoured injunctions and even super injuctions may hold for a while, I think that the story may still break quite soon. The new Conservative leader might be facing a near existential threat to the well being of the party.

Blimey. This is where we need Leon and his amazing twitter skills, so it is a shame about his ban.
    Half the cabinet probably don't know where Finland is, so that might narrow it down a bit.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,014

Oh dear oh dear.

We know that politicians are experts at talking out of both sides of their mouth, but Ms Mourdaunt has probably killed off her own campaign with this story.
  • Options
    Miss Vance, that's not going to endear her to the party.

Mr. Roberts, aye. And yet, he's still far better than many of the sequel characters.
  • Options

Cicero said:

There is a story circulating in Finland which is extremely negative for a key figure in the British Cabinet. I understand that there is considerable litigation underway concerning this story, so for the sake of OGH I will neither report what or who. However, it is extremely serious. Though the various rumoured injunctions and even super injuctions may hold for a while, I think that the story may still break quite soon. The new Conservative leader might be facing a near existential threat to the well being of the party.

Blimey. This is where we need Leon and his amazing twitter skills, so it is a shame about his ban.
    Half the cabinet probably don't know where Finland is, so that might narrow it down a bit.
    Sunak family investments in Russia perchance? Or given the story is in Finland, perhaps it’s about one of Caninet arguing against arms for Ukraine or NATO for Finland/Sweden.

Cummings has been attracting a lot of attention online for his “realist” Kissinger view of how the war should end, leading of course to Sunak having to publicly deny he has a role in his campaign team.

• Options
    edited July 2022

Good morning, good morning all! Temperature here, according to my app, 22°, forecast to rise to 37°.

I shall keep the windows open, and the doors and admire (some of) the comments on PB!

Surely open windows link you thermally with the outside, so guarantee that the inside of the house will also hit 37C ?

Perhaps sea breezes compensate.

Normal practice is cool it to the minimum then seal, aiui, and close curtains / blinds with ambient sunlight.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    One of the features of this campaign is how the Daily Mail has gone for Mordaunt. I hope Tories, who usually go along with it, take pause and realise the harm that paper can do. Nasty.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Sandpit said:

I see that every single UK newspaper, except for the Guardian, chooses to illustrate their weather story with pictures of people on the beach.

Irresponsible in the extreme. Don’t go to the beach if it’s 40ºC outside.

Must be following Raab's idiotic advice of enjoying the heat and sunshine.
  • Options

Mr. Roberts, aye. And yet, he's still far better than many of the sequel characters.

The sequels were like that old schoolboy game where one person writes a line of a story and folds over the paper and passes it on. In isolation each movie is entertaining enough but there’s no cohesion to the plotting at all. Very bizarre approach given this is the same studio that is intricately tying together dozens of movies and tv shows into a coherent arc with Marvel.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, the Boris flying off from NATO to see the KGB story still isn't moving at any more than snails pace. Yes, he will soon be yesterday's man. But remains Prime Minister. And what a story.

At best his actions have been significantly questionable. At worst...

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1548686479592939524
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited July 2022
    jonny83 said:

Sandpit said:

I see that every single UK newspaper, except for the Guardian, chooses to illustrate their weather story with pictures of people on the beach.

Must be following Raab's idiotic advice of enjoying the heat and sunshine.
    Its not idiotic, we have some glorious weather that you'd normally have to go overseas for. Enjoy it.

People are making out like its 50C weather due.

Keep hydrated, use the shade, and enjoy it. 🌞
  • Options
    A prize for anyone who successfully fries an egg on their car?
  • Options

And because he neutered Jar Jar Binks after the first one.
    I don't recall that scene.
    Would certainly have increased the appeal of the movie.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,115
    edited July 2022

Please remember to put water out for the birds for the next couple of days. Something not too deep or with a brick/stone in for them to stand on. Ta.

We have a bird bath in our small garden. We keep it topped up and the antics of the birds in it or a source of amusement. The blackbirds are the ones that really seem to enjoy it although they bathe alone semi: sparrows are communal!
  • Options

Meanwhile, the Boris flying off from NATO to see the KGB story still isn't moving at any more than snails pace. Yes, he will soon be yesterday's man. But remains Prime Minister. And what a story.

Carole Codswallop?

How about a more creditable and serious news source? Like Novara Media.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,709

In my experience, Mr Observer, the recipe is for closed <|b> windows. They are open throughout the night, so that the cooler air gets in, but get closed once the sun has risen and the air gets hotter outside.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,673
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

#UKHeatwave #Heatwave

That should save your colleagues a few heatstroke admissions.

I get the feeling that Brighton beach this afternoon, is going to look like it did the day they put on a free Fatboy Slim concert - when what they should be doing, is lighting every sign board on the A23, saying “Beach is Closed”
    To be fair, the very south coast is forecast to be cooler than inland. Southampton 31, Brighton 33, for instance.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,175

Sandpit said:

It won’t be 40 at the beach. Moderating effect of cool U.K. seas.
    I am not a lounge-on-the-beach person. But one of the nicest seaside experiences I had was at Sandwood Bay, in the far northwest of Scotland. There is a very shallow loch separated from the sea by a small stream and sand dunes. It was a warm, sunny day, and because it was so shallow, the water of the loch had heated up nicely. We would swim in the loch and run over the dunes or down the stream into the cooling sea.

Magical. I've got a picture on the living room wall of my ex-gf (*) wading in the loch, with my tent on the northern side of the stream, and th sand dunes and the cliffs and Am Buachaill behind.

I've only been to Sandwood Bay twice, and each time it has been in glorious weather. I think I'm lucky...

(*) Mrs J is *very* understanding... ;)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,070
    edited July 2022

Morning all! I'm facing up to a terrifying 26c peak tomorrow, so will send cooling waves of sympathy southwards. Meanwhile I see that the rail industry has rather sensibly pulled the plug on various operations over the next two days. As the forecast temperatures are above the bucking temperature of rails and sag temperature of some of the older / cheaper overhead power wire installations, it seems sensible. What is left running is expecting some Railtrackesque emergency speed restrictions.

So, cue the hoardes trying to get the train to Blackpool or Skegness or some other place which will be godawful in the heat, having a bad journey there, then getting stuck, then the newspapers soiling themselves in excitement at all the coverage of poor families left stranded and roasted by wastrel unions refusing to operate trains just because they didn't want to kill people.

Well my day now features driving Mrs Eek to Manchester Airport as the trains TPExpress cancelled are the ones to and from the airport.

What should be a 2 hour journey now look like 5 hours minimum with added grief and risk so its easier for me to lose 1/2 day driving.
  • Options

Cicero said:

Not Raab, then.
  • Options
    Ms. Moonshine, it's especially crackers given how they handled Luke Skywalker.

From so hopeful he refused to kill his child-murdering genocidal father, to so fearful (way to the dark side, incidentally) he was on the verge of killing a close relative in his sleep.

And the tone of TLJ was just nuts. The escape from Not-Hoth tries to be all serious and dramatic, yet has Poe making a prank call, which both undercuts any sense of tension and makes Hux into a joke character.

*sighs*
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986

Sandpit said:

The heat has made the sea around Sidmouth swimmable even for people like me with thin skin and old bones - that is, if you are happy to share the water with the raw sewage that South West Water continually pumps into it.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,115
    MattW said:

Good morning, good morning all! Temperature here, according to my app, 22°, forecast to rise to 37°.

I shall keep the windows open, and the doors and admire (some of) the comments on PB!

Surely open windows link you thermally with the outside, so guarantee that the inside of the house will also hit 37C ?

Perhaps sea breezes compensate.

Normal practice is cool it to the minimum then seal, aiui, and close curtains / blinds with ambient sunlight.
    No sea breezes here! What we do is leave the windows open but close the curtains to get the benefit of any wind that there is.
  • Options

From so hopeful he refused to kill his child-murdering genocidal father, to so fearful (way to the dark side, incidentally) he was on the verge of killing a close relative in his sleep.

And the tone of TLJ was just nuts. The escape from Not-Hoth tries to be all serious and dramatic, yet has Poe making a prank call, which both undercuts any sense of tension and makes Hux into a joke character.

*sighs*

The Star Wars sequels, sigh. Even worse than the Tory leadership contest. But are there lessons?

In round 4 will a voice from the past re-emerge? Will it transpire that Thatcher is not dead and seeks to govern the galaxy? I imagine some would be delighted.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,418
    Sandpit said:

Oh dear oh dear.

We know that politicians are experts at talking out of both sides of their mouth, but Ms Mourdaunt has probably killed off her own campaign with this story.
    She demonstrated she is open minded.

It would have been better (even in the light of the anti-woke madness that is the Conservative Party) to embrace her enlightened attitudes and move on to how she would repair the economy and cleanse the nation from Johnsonianism, rather than spend three ( ok 2 1/2) debates falsely rewriting her own history.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,438

Sandpit said:

The heat has made the sea around Sidmouth swimmable even for people like me with thin skin and old bones - that is, if you are happy to share the water with the raw sewage that South West Water continually pumps into it.

Just ignore the brown lumps?

It’s my understanding that most sewage discharge occurs during rain when the systematic cannot cope. If that’s the case for your area right now should be cleaner than normal...

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Mr. Jonathan, I suspect building a Death Star is the kind of overblown project that Blair/Brown might favour, using PFI to keep it off the books and foolishly throwing away half the rebate back to the Galactic Union for nothing.
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, I suspect building a Death Star is the kind of overblown project that Blair/Brown might favour, using PFI to keep it off the books and foolishly throwing away half the rebate back to the Galactic Union for nothing.

Surely, that’s a classic Boris moonshot? The Death Star trench, with a garden perhaps. Or maybe reuse it as an airport.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,438
    Jonathan said:

*sighs*

The Star Wars sequels, sigh. Even worse than the Tory leadership contest. But are there lessons?

In round 4 will a voice from the past re-emerge? Will it transpire that Thatcher is not dead and seeks to govern the galaxy? I imagine some would be delighted.
    I quite like the force awakens. Yes it’s basically a remake of a new hope, but it was fast paced, did that thing of bringing in new characters without labouring the back story (the original Star Wars idea of landing in the middle of the story) and mostly fun.

But yes, the disjointed mess that followed. If still only seen the 2nd and 3rd films once. Just cannot bring myself to sit through them again.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

In my experience, Mr Observer, the recipe is for closed <|b> windows. They are open throughout the night, so that the cooler air gets in, but get closed once the sun has risen and the air gets hotter outside.

Open windows and shutters shut if you live on the shady side of the street. Everything closed if you don't. That's how I remember it - but it was a few years ago!

• Options
    XipeXipe Posts: 47
    Mordaunt is doomed by that story
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,869
    eek said:

Well my day now features driving Mrs Eek to Manchester Airport as the trains TPExpress cancelled are the ones to and from the airport.

What should be a 2 hour journey now look like 5 hours minimum with added grief and risk so its easier for me to lose 1/2 day driving.
    By this stage having the day ending in a y is sufficient for TPExpress to bin 80% of its service and go to emergency strike level operation. They never got off the COVID emergency timetable and typically run further emergency cancellations, plus emergency strike day service 30-40% of the time (which is a 1/6 daytime only service). And then run that skeleton service at December 2019 reliability levels.

They have truly collapsed as an organisation.
  • Options
    F1: backed Perez at 14 (each way, with boost) and 16 (same basis) at Ladbrokes to win in France.

While Mercedes have narrowed the gap, on pace the top two should still be there. Both drivers were unlucky last time but are driving well and if the misfortune strikes the other way around then they could repeat their 1-2 finish from... the UK.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, the jester might talk about it, but he'd be unable to actually get anything done (cf the 'rush for nuclear').
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    No way now for Penny to win. That story about purposefully lying about her true intentions for a policy is dynamite.
  • Options
    Has this been done? Rishi now beating Mordaunt in a run-off according to ConHome: https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/17/next-tory-leader-run-offs-sunak-would-now-beat-mordaunt-truss-would-beat-both-of-them/

As always I'd take polling with a pinch of salt, but it just goes to emphasise what I said to @HYUFD before all this began, that the polls could change over the course of the leadership race.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404

Carole Codswallop?

You'd rather smear a source than engage in the substance?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,311
    edited July 2022
    Jonathan said:

*sighs*

The problem is that she was past her sell-by date 30 years ago (as indeed was the Star Wars franchise), and despite electoral victories, the Conservatives have lost all of the intellectual spark that underlined her government. Now it is a feeble travesty based on moronic lies and PR bullshit.

Despite what you hear from any of the Conservative leadership candidates, administration is hard. The UK administration is hollowed out by short term, inadequate funding and a lack of strategic policy making at every level from national to parish/community. Every government is now in firefighting mode which dooms them to failure from the start. The fact that the last three PMs have been manifestly inadequate is only the the cherry on the cake of crap. Plenty of politicians are prepared to accept that major administrative and budgetery refrom is needed (its a good slogan), but they are only prepared to sanction the destruction of what we have now, rather than lay out any effective and costed programme for the necessary changes.

The physical decay of the Palace of Westminister itself is a metaphor for the erosion of Britain as a whole. Decades of short term fixes are now failing and the scale of the job is now so big no one wants to grasp the nettle to solve it. In the end, if they fail to take the radical steps (move out and give the workers a chance to address the crisis) then the place will either burn down or otherwise collapse. The fact that the "Elizabeth Tower" (aka Big Ben) is now nice and shiny does not disguise the rest of the building is a rat infested death trap.

I see nothing in any of the Tory candidates that is anything but mediocre or worse. Rishi is Jar Jar Binks, several of the others are probably Sith Lords. Darth Dormant any one?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,549

Sandpit said:

Just ignore the brown lumps?

It’s my understanding that most sewage discharge occurs during rain when the systematic cannot cope. If that’s the case for your area right now should be cleaner than normal...

Another big issue is rainwater washing Gull feaces into the sea, there being an artificially elevated population of the birds scavenging on human detritus in these seaside towns. Still mainly an issue following rain.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254
    moonshine said:

We can talk all day about this story and Russian violinists. But it’s hard to refute that love him or hate him, Boris Johnson has been the biggest thorn in Putin’s side among major European leaders.

The moral of that tale being that BoZo fucks over every single person he ever meets...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

No way now for Penny to win. That story about purposefully lying about her true intentions for a policy is dynamite.

Have you read the story? There is very little to it, and we have to assume the Spectator has published the most damning sections.
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/revealed-penny-mordaunt-s-hidden-equalities-agenda
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Looks like Sunak v Truss. The ERG would never forgive Sunak for winning that.

• Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135

Sandpit said:

Though depending on where you are, it won't necessarily be that much different. 37°C at Southend today, for example. Brighton is better, but still above 30°C. To get more tolerable seaside conditions in England, you need to go to certain parts of the far North or the South West. Based on an unscientific trawl through the forecasts, the Cornwall and Dorset coasts look OK (rain in the former on Tuesday; the latter looks more settled,) as do Cumberland and Northumberland.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,540

ClippP said:

Open windows and shutters shut if you live on the shady side of the street. Everything closed if you don't. That's how I remember it - but it was a few years ago!

Met saying it will be 32 degrees here when I am heading to bed this evening at 10:30ish.

Jeez. This is going to be a total nightmare.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    edited July 2022

I'm in the unusual position of liking the prequels and sequels. Plenty of flaws, they have different weaknesses, but I cannot really get on board with the memey hate.
  • Options

Carole Codswallop?

Yes, I'm not going to give Codswallop the time of day, just as plenty here would say the same about Guido.

The substance is that Boris's Britain has been Ukraine's closest and fiercest European ally, and Putin's greatest European enemy. That is the substance.

Codswallop, Guido and the rest of the muckrakers can try and shift their own agenda onto everything, but lets stick with the substance.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135

ClippP said:

Windows ought always to be shut if the air temperature outside exceeds that inside, otherwise you're just increasing the speed at which the air inside the building heats.
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, may be an idea to get a nap during the day, if you can?

I'm an insomniac, but may try and get in a siesta.

Mr. kle4, well, fair enough. People like different things. It's not like you've said something morally and intellectually offensive, like claiming Caesar was a better general than Hannibal.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,921

ClippP said:

Met saying it will be 32 degrees here when I am heading to bed this evening at 10:30ish.

That doesn't sound too bad. That's the temperature in the the South of France at the moment and it's ridiculously busy and people are paying a fortune for those temperatures
  • Options

Carole Codswallop?

As always look at the story and not the outlet. Its not as if the stuff she is saying is only being said by her or is baseless.
  • Options

Has this been done? Rishi now beating Mordaunt in a run-off according to ConHome: https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/17/next-tory-leader-run-offs-sunak-would-now-beat-mordaunt-truss-would-beat-both-of-them/

As always I'd take polling with a pinch of salt, but it just goes to emphasise what I said to @HYUFD before all this began, that the polls could change over the course of the leadership race.

Opinium already had Sunak beating Truss and Mordaunt. Differences between them, Yougov and Conhome may be down to sampling. There was a large influx of new members (the party grew by 50 per cent in 2018-19) and it may be this has meant it is harder to find representative samples. Or, as you say, minds might have been changed by the debates.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

*sighs*

Hux was always a joke. His screeching empire wannabe stuff in force awakens ensured that? I really like the Last Jedi, and maintain many of the problems of the last one came from overcorrection to appease butthurt fanboys, since they had set the stage to go in slightly new directions.
  • Options

Mr. Borough, may be an idea to get a nap during the day, if you can?

I'm an insomniac, but may try and get in a siesta.

Mr. kle4, well, fair enough. People like different things. It's not like you've said something morally and intellectually offensive, like claiming Caesar was a better general than Hannibal.

Following Covid I've been napping during the day on occasion. It's one of the most disconcerting experiences of my life.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,528
    After the weekend and the continuing Penny drama it looks like we are basically looking at Sunak or Truss as our next PM.

In some ways that’s always been the most likely choice given the Tories are in government. It would have been nice to see a new broom break through given the mess of the Boris government but looks like it was not to be…
  • Options

Carole Codswallop?

Yes, I'm not going to give Codswallop the time of day, just as plenty here would say the same about Guido.

The substance is that Boris's Britain has been Ukraine's closest and fiercest European ally, and Putin's greatest European enemy. That is the substance.

Codswallop, Guido and the rest of the muckrakers can try and shift their own agenda onto everything, but lets stick with the substance.
    Thats the substance now. The story describes events before now. And had it been PM Milliband - whos dad was a Commie Traitor remember - slipping his minders to fly straight from the NATO summit to meet with the KGB you would have been fine with it? Course you would...

Apply the same rules to everyone or they are not rules. At the very least the smirking bully was rightly fired for doing the same with a friendly country. Russia is far from friendly.
  • Options

ClippP said:

Plenty of nightshift workers will be familiar with the problem of trying to sleep in high temperatures.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,777
    Days like today Fahrenheit comes into its own. "101" (over the top) seems much more descriptive than "38" (way to go).
  • Options
    Roger said:

ClippP said:

That doesn't sound too bad. That's the temperature in the the South of France at the moment and it's ridiculously busy and people are paying a fortune for those temperatures
    I think it's probably the context. The South of France is more used to getting high temperatures, and so the people and infrastructure are used to it, and designed for it. It is *very* unusual up here, which means that our buildings are designed more to keep us warm and catch the sun where possible, not avoid it. And our infrastructure is not designed to cope with it.

Some places (e.g. Texas) have troubles when a heavy snow falls for the same reason: their infrastructure is designed around warmer temperatures, and the people are not used to it. Although it seems Texas' power infrastructure cannot cope with cold weather, or hot weather given recent stories...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jul/11/texas-heatwave-power-grid-ercot
  • Options
    Roger said:

ClippP said:

You wanking idiot. He’s saying it will be 32C at night when he goes to bed and tries to sleep. Unprecedented in Britain

Not in the south of France in broad daylight
  • Options
    kle4 said:

*sighs*

Hux was always a joke. His screeching empire wannabe stuff in force awakens ensured that? I really like the Last Jedi, and maintain many of the problems of the last one came from overcorrection to appease butthurt fanboys, since they had set the stage to go in slightly new directions.
    The main problem with the last film is that Carrie Fisher had died. For the sequels the first film was about Han Solo, the second Like Skywalker, and so the last film should have been about Leia Organa.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,381
    MattW said:

Ideal is one of those plastic shallow saucers that a plant pot stands stands in.

I'm just off for a bike through the various country parks around our town.
    It’s also useful for nocturnal animals like Hedgehogs
  • Options

Carole Codswallop?

Thats the substance now. The story describes events before now. And had it been PM Milliband - whos dad was a Commie Traitor remember - slipping his minders to fly straight from the NATO summit to meet with the KGB you would have been fine with it? Course you would...

Apply the same rules to everyone or they are not rules. At the very least the smirking bully was rightly fired for doing the same with a friendly country. Russia is far from friendly.
    "Russia is far from friendly."

Well, Labour had Corbyn as leader for four years...

But your general point is well made. The problem is that this is what Johnson does: he likes power and money, and he gravitates towards it. In this case, Russian money. It is a stupid trait of his, especially when combined with his other trait of never taking responsibility for his actions.

Yet there is the other side of the ledger: if the Russian government sought to buy influence from him, then they utterly failed. He is an enemy of Russia.

We'll have to wait for more details, but my best guess is that this was individual Russian money buying influence, and not the state's money. Remember, many of these oligarchs are looking firmly over their shoulders towards Putin and his assassins.

But it is still an utterly stupid thing for him to have done. But also utterly characteristic.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,921
    Cicero said:

It's got to be more serious than Johnson having sex with an underage donkey tethered to portrait of Lady Thatcher. The bar in this Cabinet is so low that wouldn't even make it into the Star let alone warrant an injunction.
  • Options

Roger said:

ClippP said:

I think it's probably the context. The South of France is more used to getting high temperatures, and so the people and infrastructure are used to it, and designed for it. It is *very* unusual up here, which means that our buildings are designed more to keep us warm and catch the sun where possible, not avoid it. And our infrastructure is not designed to cope with it.

Some places (e.g. Texas) have troubles when a heavy snow falls for the same reason: their infrastructure is designed around warmer temperatures, and the people are not used to it. Although it seems Texas' power infrastructure cannot cope with cold weather, or hot weather given recent stories...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jul/11/texas-heatwave-power-grid-ercot
    Particularly noticeable is the east/northeast slant to this deathwave

eg Sheffield. It is already hotter there than London - 25C versus 23C. It will stay hotter. It is predicted to reach 42C tomorrow in Sheffield - 39C in London

That doesn’t just break Yorkshire/NE records. It obliterates them. Canadian heatdome, UK stylee
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,381

MaxPB said:

It’s going to be Truss, isn’t it.

Heaven help us.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

We should judge him on this by his actions rather than the appearance painted by the likes of Cadwalla. If Putin had kompramat on Boris Johnson, it’s not done him much good at his moment of need has it. Very much the opposite, given the leadership BJ provided first in continuing training the Ukrainian forces, then in publicly sharing intelligence about the impending invasion (which most of Europe and their sympathisers said was fakenews), then strong leadership over sanctions, arms and nato expansion.

Is it not conceivable that British citizen Lebedev has shifted allegiance from Putin’s Russia to his adopted state? But that during the novichok crisis he was privy to intelligence from Russian sources that he felt compelled to share? But let’s face it, given the recent attack on the Skripal’s, how could he be sure that even his own handlers were not compromised? Better to go straight to the Foreign Secretary.

We can talk all day about this story and Russian violinists. But it’s hard to refute that love him or hate him, Boris Johnson has been the biggest thorn in Putin’s side among major European leaders. And in fact that without his leadership on the matter, Ukraine might very well be facing a very different outcome.

I’ve been dismayed by how little Ukraine has featured in the leaders debate so far. It’s the key issue, both in terms of growth and cost of living. What did the candidates really think in Jan/Feb this year? Because that’s the key indicator in knowing how they might behave this winter.

You are mixing up the two Lebedevs, father and son. Boris's secret meeting was with Alexander, the former KGB man and Putin associate. Boris gave a peerage to (against MI6 advice but what do they know?) and accepted donations from the son, Evgeny.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,103
    Taz said:

MaxPB said:

It’s going to be Truss, isn’t it.

Heaven help us.
    Only 2 years to a general election, perhaps less.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,540
    This is really excellent advice on dealing with heat from an Aussie doctor. Could even be lifesaving. Pass around folks:

Dr Ellie Mackin Roberts
    @EllieMRoberts

I am a genuine Australian, here is some advice regarding dealing with the heat that's heading to England... if you have no aircon.

https://twitter.com/EllieMRoberts/status/1548310703676669953
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,893
    edited July 2022

Carole Codswallop?

"Russia is far from friendly."

Well, Labour had Corbyn as leader for four years...

But your general point is well made. The problem is that this is what Johnson does: he likes power and money, and he gravitates towards it. In this case, Russian money. It is a stupid trait of his, especially when combined with his other trait of never taking responsibility for his actions.

Yet there is the other side of the ledger: if the Russian government sought to buy influence from him, then they utterly failed. He is an enemy of Russia.

We'll have to wait for more details, but my best guess is that this was individual Russian money buying influence, and not the state's money. Remember, many of these oligarchs are looking firmly over their shoulders towards Putin and his assassins.

But it is still an utterly stupid thing for him to have done. But also utterly characteristic.
    Perhaps if the Tories are looking for spending cuts security clearance for those with classified information could be the first to go. There really is no point knowing what a junior analysts mum was doing 25 years ago if the people at the very top are happy to break all protocols for a few roubles.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,893

MaxPB said:

Have you read the story? There is very little to it, and we have to assume the Spectator has published the most damning sections.
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/revealed-penny-mordaunt-s-hidden-equalities-agenda
    I know the right like to say that the left keeps worrying about trans issues, but it's almost pure projection: they seem totally obsessed, like the church used to be on gay marriage. I can't remember it ever coming up at a CLP meeting.
    What is interesting is that the right do fervently believe it is the left who are raising the issues profile, and the left (including centre) believe it is the right. Both are adamant.

In reality it is social media that amplifies it beyond any sensible level of importance.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,103
    Slip, slap, slop is the Australian advice for hot weather.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

After the weekend and the continuing Penny drama it looks like we are basically looking at Sunak or Truss as our next PM.

In some ways that’s always been the most likely choice given the Tories are in government. It would have been nice to see a new broom break through given the mess of the Boris government but looks like it was not to be…

It will be interesting to see if the PM vote collapses today off the back of all the allegations. If so, KB and / or TT would be the main beneficiaries given they could be seen as fresh starts.

The polling continues to be dire for Truss and there seems enough of an anti-Sunak faction that is determined to stop him. That usually creates an opportunity for a third candidate,
This discussion has been closed.