Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Bad news for people laying a 2022 general election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612
    Cookie said:

Looks like Tuesday rather than Monday now.

Does Boris have any upcoming milestones for time in office? Are there any rivals he might be hoping to overtake?
    Re: rivals, most obvious is his soulmate the Sage of Mar-a-Lardo.

IF anyone really needed proof positive, that Johnson and Trump were separated at birth, is not today it?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452

Scott_xP said:

Exc: told PM absolutely defiant and is not going to resign. Sources tell me he told Cabinet colleagues that it was a choice between summer focused on economic growth or chaos of a leadership contest- followed by massive pressure for general election 1/
    https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1544752417757138949

He still hasn’t appointed a Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. I expect there will be a run on the hotpot when the markets re-open.

HOW CAN THE COUNTRY BE EXPECTED TO FUNCTION WITHOUT A CHANCELLOR OF THE DUCHY OF LANCASTER?!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,304
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Does Boris have any upcoming milestones for time in office? Are there any rivals he might be hoping to overtake?
    Neville Chamberlain, tomorrow.
    Ooh! He'll want to hang on an extra 36 hours then. I think he finds this sortof thing important.
    He needs 29 days for May and another three weeks ish beyond that to pass Callaghan.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Alistair said:

Hey i know British politics is quite exciting now but an absolute bombshell hot mic moment has happened in American politics

https://twitter.com/jackmjenkins/status/1544739459849125893?t=5gwaVGgM5tj7Gtq7Ql6J5A&s=19

Oh sorry, I thought you meant this:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/06/politics/joe-biden-approval-rating/index.html
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Exc: told PM absolutely defiant and is not going to resign. Sources tell me he told Cabinet colleagues that it was a choice between summer focused on economic growth or chaos of a leadership contest- followed by massive pressure for general election 1/

Oh FFS

And why should Boris going mean a GE? I don’t get that at all, even as a piece of Borisite spin. It’s clearly nonsense, that is not how British politics works (for good or ill). If the new Tory PM has a solid majority (which he/she will) they are under no pressure at all to call a GE, and they won’t. Labour will bleat but so what?

Do they expect people to believe this?
    If they can achieve a clinical change of leader, and things like the drop in fuel price start to help the economy, AND the Ukrainians start to win, then it’s absolutely a Tory wet dream for Labour to just bleat on about an election.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,675
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

He still hasn’t appointed a Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. I expect there will be a run on the hotpot when the markets re-open.

HOW CAN THE COUNTRY BE EXPECTED TO FUNCTION WITHOUT A CHANCELLOR OF THE DUCHY OF LANCASTER?!
    THERE ARE PEOPLE WANDERING AROUND LANCASTER UNABLE TO USE MONEY!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668

On 24-hour Chancellor watch, what time was Zahawi confirmed last night?

The story that he turned on Boris as he'd heard he was about to be axed from the Treasury in the planned reshuffle is excellent.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,063
    kle4 said:

Genuinely surprising nearly all the Cabinet still in post. Sure, a few of them are now trying to get him to go, but technically nearly all of them retain their support through their positions. I don't buy it is a sense of duty.

Not a good time to be halving your salary. Cost of living going up.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

That's a keeper.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh FFS

And why should Boris going mean a GE? I don’t get that at all, even as a piece of Borisite spin. It’s clearly nonsense, that is not how British politics works (for good or ill). If the new Tory PM has a solid majority (which he/she will) they are under no pressure at all to call a GE, and they won’t. Labour will bleat but so what?

If they can achieve a clinical change of leader, and things like the drop in fuel price start to help the economy, AND the Ukrainians start to win, then it’s absolutely a Tory wet dream for Labour to just bleat on about an election.
    And if pigs could fly...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Scott_xP said:

Arguing that a lost election will mean a coalition that will lead to break up of Britain (sounds familiar from 2015!) and those around him think they will lose a couple more from Cabinet but not all 2/

They claim Sir Graham position was that he won’t be drummed out tonight and that rule change won’t come til Monday. And said he put his “14 million mandate on table”. 3/

https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1544753359676231681

What did I tell you all earlier?

Only a full VONC of the entire House is going to get this cockroach out of Downing Street.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,123
    Sir Charles Walker on C4 News: "It's over... It has to end tonight."
  • Options

Negotiating for what happens once Boris resigns?

Peerage? Governorship of Pitcairn? Grant of Immunity? (Not necessarily in that order.)
  • Options

Patel joins cabinet coup against Johnson

Jeez.
    If these people had all voted against Boris in the vonc a few weeks back none of this need have happened.
    I can't see how he's suddenly a worse PM now than he was then. The Pincher affair is bad, but no worse than they ongoing shambles beforehand.
    Maybe they did vote against him.

The Pincher affair. Honestly. Are we in some sort of simulation in which a bored creator has decided to amuse himself?
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 485

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

Boris is a cavalier and the people getting rid of him are roundheads. Discuss.

Boris is a cavalier and the people getting rid of him are everyone.
    He does remind me of a cavalier - a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - puppy dog eyes, overweight, very stupid and pretty much useless for anything other than sitting on a sofa.
    That's an insult to a Cavalier. They are quite bright. But they do like sitting around doing nothing (mine does) so the analogy partly holds
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Neville Chamberlain, tomorrow.
    Ooh! He'll want to hang on an extra 36 hours then. I think he finds this sortof thing important.
    Doesn't that speak to him announcing his resignation tonight? Unless he's marched to the Palace, he'd stay as PM for a couple of months until a replacement is chosen.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Patel joins cabinet coup against Johnson

Jeez.
    If these people had all voted against Boris in the vonc a few weeks back none of this need have happened.
    I can't see how he's suddenly a worse PM now than he was then. The Pincher affair is bad, but no worse than they ongoing shambles beforehand.
    Maybe they did vote against him.

The Pincher affair. Honestly. Are we in some sort of simulation in which a bored creator has decided to amuse himself?
    Perhapsthey've realised it was all a fiddle?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Sort of starting to sound like a hostage crisis situation.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,963

Negotiating for what happens once Boris resigns?

Peerage? Governorship of Pitcairn? Grant of Immunity? (Not necessarily in that order.)
    Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Rwanda could work.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Any noises about Gazza turning up?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,043
    Increasingly looking likely a bullish @BorisJohnson will not go tonight, will not resign - instead force this to a vote of confidence, *probably start of next week

But will we see cabinet ministers resign on mass before then?

https://twitter.com/darrenmccaffrey/status/1544754871567810560
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Alistair said:

Hey i know British politics is quite exciting now but an absolute bombshell hot mic moment has happened in American politics

https://twitter.com/jackmjenkins/status/1544739459849125893?t=5gwaVGgM5tj7Gtq7Ql6J5A&s=19

That is dreadful. But not at all surprising.

Ffs iran has arrested, amongst many, our deputy ambassador

How and why?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The story that he turned on Boris as he'd heard he was about to be axed from the Treasury in the planned reshuffle is excellent.
    What? Boris was planning to reshuffle him out as soon as he'd appointed him?
  • Options
    At this rate, when the hour finally arrives, they won't be waiting on the furniture vans to arrive in Downing St.

They'll be pitching Carrie's interior design & decor out of the windows. Just to avoid more time-wasting.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

How and why?
    Surely they can't arrest a diplomat, only expel them?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,823
    Scott_xP said:

Increasingly looking likely a bullish @BorisJohnson will not go tonight, will not resign - instead force this to a vote of confidence, *probably start of next week

No. The 'go now' Cabinet Members have made their play, that they won't quit as they will stay out of 'duty'.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,022
    This is laughable now. He is actually going to try to cling on. So we have wait for the 22 to change their rules. They should have done it today when they had the chance.
  • Options

At this rate, when the hour finally arrives, they won't be waiting on the furniture vans to arrive in Downing St.

They'll be pitching Carrie's interior design & decor out of the windows. Just to avoid more time-wasting.

Just pulling up at No 10 in case we can help speed up removals…. https://twitter.com/AnnekaRice/status/1544402116055339011/photo/1

• Options
    Nadine Dorries leaves No 10 and tells me she is “definitely” still backing the PM.

“Is anyone else backing the Prime Minister?”

“Oh yes” she replies.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1544756560777330697
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966
    edited July 2022
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Right on cue, some brave individual on the BBC misunderstands a political leader is an annointed king.

An unnamed MP close to Boris Johnson tonight described some of his critics as “treacherous”.

They are, a load of wet, treacherous, pygmies.

Exactly the same type of MPs who toppled Thatcher, another great election winner, leading to years of bitter division in the party and ultimately over a decade in opposition
    Given that this seems to describe the almost the entire parliamentary party, are we to assume you have now transferred your loyalty to Il Duce?
    It doesn't, just the traitors. The membership will ensure the traitors do not get rewarded if Boris is removed by ensuring they do not get the leadership
    Hopefully the membership is not quite as loony as you. Even within the modern “Conservative” party, I suspect you are an outlier.
    I don't like the bullying of @HYUFD

Yes, he's eccentric, dogmatic and pedantic and always has to have the last word but we know he will transfer his loyalty 100% the instant a new Conservative leader and PM takes office, so why badger him?
    Because he holds views which are deeply offensive - more I would suggest than almost anyone else on here - and he invites scorn with his statements of absolute certainty which almost inevitably turn out to be rubbish. It is not bullying to point out his idiocy just as others point out mine and yours.
    I take issue with that. I disagree with him about many things but his views are not offensive. I don't think the views of anyone on here are 'offensive', not even Sandy Rentool's cheerful wish for the elimination of all humanity. You may be offended by his views, but that is different (though I don'tsee why you would be, he may be not be the board's cheeriest poster but he is seldom rude despite a lot of provocation). And more often than not his views about what goes on within the Conservative Party are pretty well informed.
    Well I have to say if you don't think that supporting the Spanish police beating up grannies because they want to vote and advocating doing the same thing to citizens in this country is offensive then I think your moral compass is somewhat skewed.

His attitude of 'party before country' is also offensive.

As I have said before I would not see him leave; he has an absolute right to say what he wants. But I and others have an absolute right to call him out for it and treat both him and his views with the disdain they deserve.
  • Options
    PJH said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

Boris is a cavalier and the people getting rid of him are roundheads. Discuss.

Boris is a cavalier and the people getting rid of him are everyone.
    He does remind me of a cavalier - a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - puppy dog eyes, overweight, very stupid and pretty much useless for anything other than sitting on a sofa.
    That's an insult to a Cavalier. They are quite bright. But they do like sitting around doing nothing (mine does) so the analogy partly holds
    I used to know a cavalier. He was highly paranoid and a bloody idiot. Fiercely loyal to six people and loathed and feared everyone else. I don't think he was typical, though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Wonder what Carrie thinks of all this. No more Chequers. No more G7s and G20s and NATO summits in glam places. No more being-at-the-centre-of-power

Now she faces a married life with a bored man in his late 50s, with two young kids; a man, moreover, known for relentless infidelity

Surely she knows, more than anyone, that the man who marries his mistress merely creates a vacancy?

She must be waiting for the big money post-office deals to come though, so she can claim half.
    You lose them how you got them.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Right on cue, some brave individual on the BBC misunderstands a political leader is an annointed king.

An unnamed MP close to Boris Johnson tonight described some of his critics as “treacherous”.

Exactly the same type of MPs who toppled Thatcher, another great election winner, leading to years of bitter division in the party and ultimately over a decade in opposition
    Given that this seems to describe the almost the entire parliamentary party, are we to assume you have now transferred your loyalty to Il Duce?
    It doesn't, just the traitors. The membership will ensure the traitors do not get rewarded if Boris is removed by ensuring they do not get the leadership
    Hopefully the membership is not quite as loony as you. Even within the modern “Conservative” party, I suspect you are an outlier.

Yes, he's eccentric, dogmatic and pedantic and always has to have the last word but we know he will transfer his loyalty 100% the instant a new Conservative leader and PM takes office, so why badger him?
    Indeed, I have campaigned for Cameron, May, Johnson, Hague, Howard, IDS etc. However the backstabbing of the party's most successful electronic winner since Thatcher will likely lead to the same bitterness and division her removal ultimately did within the party
    I am baffled as to why you're so upset. Boris has secured his legacy, led the country through Covid and taken us out of the EU. He has now become a liability, so the Tory party is getting rid of him as it has done with so many leaders in the past - tale as old as time. He will be fine, the party will be fine, and the fresh new leader will have something of a honeymoon period. If the Tories are wise enough to elect Penny Mordaunt, she could even win a GE.
    It is the beginning of the end of the party's period in power and perhaps the start of a new Tory civil war, exactly as Thatcher's removal brought about
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

Sounds pretty believable to me.

They have put a genuine, flap-of-white-coats, lunatic into Downing Street and now we can see the fall out.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Scott_xP said:

In a bullish in a china shop kind of bullish?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, it sounds like farfetched satire but well, you know…
  • Options
    MikeL said:

BBC: Boris has just been having his weekly audience with the Queen (by phone)!!!

So, Prime Minister, how’s your day been?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155
    The line is going to be that he’s got a *personal* mandate from the British people that the Tory Party cannot take away. I start doubt even the 1922 can shift him at this point and it will take a GE. Not what I thought this morning.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

How and why?

https://twitter.com/search?q=uk+deputy+ambassador+to+iran&ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^search
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    View from an American:

parliamentary democracy is so good. in America everyone in office gets drunk on imperial grandeur, but everyone in British government is a grubby little guy whose career ends in scandal or all their friends telling them they hate them

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1544712200811593732
  • Options

They tried sending in the SAS yesterday (Saj and Sunak).
  • Options
    As I said earlier...

Jason Groves
    @JasonGroves1
    Boris Johnson has told Cabinet ministers he will not quit, arguing it would cause 'chaos' and see the Conservatives fall to 'almost certain' defeat at the next election
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,478
    Sky reporting Boris will stay, is not going to resign.

Utterly laughable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Wonder what Carrie thinks of all this. No more Chequers. No more G7s and G20s and NATO summits in glam places. No more being-at-the-centre-of-power

Now she faces a married life with a bored man in his late 50s, with two young kids; a man, moreover, known for relentless infidelity

Surely she knows, more than anyone, that the man who marries his mistress merely creates a vacancy?

She must be waiting for the big money post-office deals to come though, so she can claim half.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Indeed, I have campaigned for Cameron, May, Johnson, Hague, Howard, IDS etc. However the backstabbing of the party's most successful electronic winner since Thatcher will likely lead to the same bitterness and division her removal ultimately did within the party
    I am baffled as to why you're so upset. Boris has secured his legacy, led the country through Covid and taken us out of the EU. He has now become a liability, so the Tory party is getting rid of him as it has done with so many leaders in the past - tale as old as time. He will be fine, the party will be fine, and the fresh new leader will have something of a honeymoon period. If the Tories are wise enough to elect Penny Mordaunt, she could even win a GE.
    It is the beginning of the end of the party's period in power and perhaps the start of a new Tory civil war, exactly as Thatcher's removal brought about
    But this would be true whether Boris is removed or not.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I think the issue with that is that Thatcher had an ideology people could cling to (even if they retrospectively invented some of it). Given that Brexit on these lines is now pretty much fixed, Boris doesn’t. What can anyone harken back to?

It’s not as if any Tory front bench is about to repudiate Brexit.

• Options
    NEW: Cabinet Minister tells me "the PM is going to fight".

Reshuffle in the offing - as some Cabinet ministers set to walk tonight will be replaced.

Remaining loyalists saying PM wants to take confidence vote on and fight it as Parliament V the people.

It's certainly 'bold'...

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1544757515950374912
  • Options

David Duguid has just resigned.

Surely that must be the tipping point

I've been calling him a fawning lickspittle for ages. And tweeted twice in the last day or so that he and Vickers have gone frit.

Glad he has grown a pair. I look forward to helping remove him from office as an MP
    Apparently he was Trade Envoy to Angola and Zambia.
    FISHERIES and Trade Envoy to Angola and Zambia.
    Does Zambia have a coast?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They are, a load of wet, treacherous, treasonous, pygmies.

On balance, and I do say this after some minutes consideration, I think I will enjoy your bitter tears of impotence almost as much as I enjoy seeing Johnson dragged from the building.

If it wasn't for Johnson you would never have got the majority for your precious Brexit
    Well that is rubbish. Moreover as I have said before. I would have sacrificed Brexit rather than have voted for a man so bereft of morals, standards or values. That is why, even at the point at which we may have lost Brexit in 2019, I would not vote for him. There are some basic things that matter more than any of this politics and it is a great shame you don't understand that.
  • Options

Utterly laughable.

Let's all regroup on Tuesday with fresh popcorn and try again.

Seriously, the only way they get him out is a VONC of the FULL House with Tories in the lobby with Opposition at which point he loses command of the House and Queenie sacks him. At that point security will escort him from the Crown Property and it is over.

• Options
    DougSeal said:

The line is going to be that he’s got a *personal* mandate from the British people that the Tory Party cannot take away. I start doubt even the 1922 can shift him at this point and it will take a GE. Not what I thought this morning.

Yet again the Trump parallels kick in - can’t even leave office properly.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited July 2022
    DougSeal said:

His personal mandate is subject to him not being a lying twat though.

Any Tory MP who buys that line should be deemed too dumb for reselection.
  • Options
    Does Starmer call a VoNC tomorrow?
  • Options

Utterly laughable.

Good for him. He's totally unfit to be PM but, if they want him out, they should go for a VONC. Bet half of them won't.
  • Options

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Because he holds views which are deeply offensive - more I would suggest than almost anyone else on here - and he invites scorn with his statements of absolute certainty which almost inevitably turn out to be rubbish. It is not bullying to point out his idiocy just as others point out mine and yours.
    I take issue with that. I disagree with him about many things but his views are not offensive. I don't think the views of anyone on here are 'offensive', not even Sandy Rentool's cheerful wish for the elimination of all humanity. You may be offended by his views, but that is different (though I don'tsee why you would be, he may be not be the board's cheeriest poster but he is seldom rude despite a lot of provocation). And more often than not his views about what goes on within the Conservative Party are pretty well informed.
    Well I have to say if you don't think that supporting the Spanish police beating up grannies because the want to vote and advocating doing the same thing to citizens in this country is offensive then I think your moral compass is somewhat skewed.

As I have said before I would not see him leave; he has an absolute right to say what he wants. But I and others have an absolute right to call him out for it and treat both him and his views with the disdain they deserve.
    These views are not "offensive" though. They are "wrong". Or, more accurately, "I disagree with them".
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

Probably not true, but who knows ?
    At this point absolutely anything is at least half credible.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Don't interrupt an enemy etc etc...
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

How and why?
    https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1544748398154219520?t=ALXTdjYBam60UoLYLA8ZhQ&s=19
    Announced on iranian tv apparantly
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Reshuffle in the offing - as some Cabinet ministers set to walk tonight will be replaced.

Remaining loyalists saying PM wants to take confidence vote on and fight it as Parliament V the people.

It's certainly 'bold'...

It’s also almost certainly unconstitutional. We are going to have to have a big debate about codification once this grubby premiership is over.

• Options

DougSeal said:

Yet again the Trump parallels kick in - can’t even leave office properly.
    Full vote of the House next week - VONC and Queen sacks him.

Only way now.

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_xP said:

It wouldn't work. They would vote along party lines knowing that to rules change is coming and that Johnson won't survive beyond Tuesday at 7pm
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,235
    biggles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh FFS

I'll have a pint of whatever you're drinking.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

In the Government? The Tories would unanimously vote it down. Would look odd for a day but be forgotten in a week.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,263
    BlowJo carrying on is the Best News. Now we get to watch him totally destroy the Conservative Party as he refuses to play ball.

A significant proportion of the payroll vote quit? Including a number of senior cabinet roles? Just replace them. With anyone who will take the jobs whether they be MPs or not.

Then when Brady announces a contest, say it has no legitimacy. Then when you lose the vote, say its up to the people to decide and demand an election.

If you recall the minority Johnson government also banged he dispatch box, describing how awful it was and challenged its opponents to force an election.

And he won an 80-seat majority. In his head he thinks this will work, and maybe the next majority will be 160.

Its mad. But so is he.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

How and why?
    Surely they can't arrest a diplomat, only expel them?
    Believe that "arrest" in this case may actual be "detain" preparatory to explusion.

According to tweet I found & posted, British diplomat is NOT alone, other foreign diplomats accused by Republican Guard with "taking samples from the Iranian soil in a restricted area".
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,431

Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

How and why?
    https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1544748398154219520?t=ALXTdjYBam60UoLYLA8ZhQ&s=19
    Iran wants to cement Boris in place.
  • Options
    Lot of journos and commentators who have spent all day tweeting 'it's over', 'he's out tonight', 'he's lost the cabinet' are looking like they need to read more imaginative fiction this evening.

This guy does not operate in your universe.

He is in a parallel world.

• Options

As I said earlier...

Jason Groves
    @JasonGroves1
    Boris Johnson has told Cabinet ministers he will not quit, arguing it would cause 'chaos' and see the Conservatives fall to 'almost certain' defeat at the next election

If I go there will be trouble. If I stay there will be double...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    HYUFD said:

In most democracies no one party has a monopoly on power - indeed, it's often considered unhealthy when that is the case. The argument about Japan, for example, is whether the extended period of LDP rule has truly been beneficial or whether the country has stagnated.

That's Japan, though - in the British system, the periodic change of power between parties and has been regarded as an integral part of the process. The Conservatives have led the Government for 12 years - previously Labour led for 13. It may be the intervals between changes will revert to shorter timeframes in the later 2020s and 2030s - I don't know and neither do you.

Can you not accept a constructive period of Opposition might allow the Party to re-group, re-think and re-invigorate the Conservative message?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

How and why?
    FFS. Out of the way Boris. There’s work to be done.

• Options
    So is Nadine Dorries setting herself up to be Tory answer to Josh Hawley or Ron DeSantis?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Don't interrupt an enemy etc etc...
    But the Tories removing Boris aren't making a mistake.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Scott_xP said:

I worry that the Tories will choose someone sympathetic to the Remain cause in which case Labour are screwed
  • Options

As I said earlier...

Jason Groves
    @JasonGroves1

That's only a threat if

a) they do not already fear that might be the case

b) he is promising to ensure they fall to that defeat, ie by saying he will not be loyal to the party
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,263
    DougSeal said:

So who will point out that he has no such mandate as that isn't how our electoral system works. Besides which if he does force an election having been voted out as Tory leader, who will he represent? The Big Dog Party?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

Probably not true, but who knows ?
    At this point absolutely anything is at least half credible.

Well indeed.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,675

David Duguid has just resigned.

Surely that must be the tipping point

I've been calling him a fawning lickspittle for ages. And tweeted twice in the last day or so that he and Vickers have gone frit.

Glad he has grown a pair. I look forward to helping remove him from office as an MP
    Apparently he was Trade Envoy to Angola and Zambia.
    FISHERIES and Trade Envoy to Angola and Zambia.
    Does Zambia have a coast?

No, but there are many fish in the Zambezi and Lake Tanganyika.
  • Options
    We are heading to full blown constitutional crisis unless the whole House votes no confidence.

Will Tories walk into voting division with Labour, Lib and SNP???
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155
    How can the Cabinet Members who have briefed that they’re going to ask him to go stay now? And then are there enough MPs left to fill the vacancies if they do go?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well I have to say if you don't think that supporting the Spanish police beating up grannies because the want to vote and advocating doing the same thing to citizens in this country is offensive then I think your moral compass is somewhat skewed.

These views are not "offensive" though. They are "wrong". Or, more accurately, "I disagree with them".
    No. Supporting the beating of people for wanting to vote and advocating it for our country is offensive. Far more offensive than the rude words you seem to object to on here.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It's certainly 'bold'...

It’s also almost certainly unconstitutional. We are going to have to have a big debate about codification once this grubby premiership is over.

Not sure it is. The leadership of the Conservative Party is different from the position of PM from a constitutional standpoint. He can lose the former and still be the latter.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,862
    Stupid 1922 committee who have let the country suffer for another 5 days and still something might pop up to save the clown .
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Andy_JS said:

In a way, this is a coup. Because Johnson fairly won a vote a few weeks ago and the rules say there can't be another vote for 12 months, but the losers of that vote have simply refused to accept it.

Yes but they pulled the same trick to get rid of Theresa May which is how Boris became Prime Minister in the first place.
    Mrs May resigned having lost over 1000 seats in the 2019 local elections, lost the party its majority at the 2017 general election and with polls putting the party on about 20%.

After Mrs May won her VONC in December 2018 MPs also rightly showed some loyalty and did not challenge her again the month after as they are now trying to change the rules to assassinate Boris.

Mrs May was treated better by her MPs than Boris is being treated by his MPs now and the parliamentary party didn't owe their seats to Mrs May as much of the parliamentary party owe their seats to Boris after he won the big majority in 2019 she failed to get in 2017
  • Options
    Remember kids, there is no constitutional rule that the leader of the party is the PM iirc.
  • Options

As I said earlier...

Jason Groves
    @JasonGroves1

Don't. Don't you want me?
    You know I can't believe it when I hear that you won't see me
    You know I don't believe you when you say that you don't need me
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869

Utterly laughable.

All Boris sees is the end of everything he wanted, aspired and connived to achieve. Once he goes, he will never taste that power again and his life will be conducted in the past tense - he'll be a Former Prime Minister, Former Mayor of London etc.

As a man who thrives on the adulation of others, all that will be gone - I can appreciate how difficult these hours must and will be for him. It is the end of his life, his dreams, his goals - that's not easy for anyone to recognise and reconcile.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Bring back the PPE clone politicians. At least they have a loose grasp on the basics of parliamentary democracy. This guy thinks he's fucking Ceasar.
  • Options

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    33s
    Johnson ally: "He's not going to resign and he has a lot of things he wants to say this weekend before we even get to any vote."
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited July 2022
    Hilarious stuff going on today.

The Tory party tearing themselves apart in public. What's not to like? LOL.
  • Options
    Johnson ally: "He's not going to resign and he has a lot of things he wants to say this weekend before we even get to any vote."
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1544759456088850432
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714

Priti is calling for Boris to go.

Amazing. I thought she would stick with Johnson.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,862
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

In a way, this is a coup. Because Johnson fairly won a vote a few weeks ago and the rules say there can't be another vote for 12 months, but the losers of that vote have simply refused to accept it.

Yes but they pulled the same trick to get rid of Theresa May which is how Boris became Prime Minister in the first place.
    Mrs May resigned having lost over 1000 seats in the 2019 local elections, lost the party its majority at the 2017 General election and with polls putting the party on about 20%.

After Mrs May won her VONC in November 2018 MPs also rightly showed some loyalty and did not challenge her again the month after as they are now trying to change the rules to assassinate Boris.

Mrs May was treated better by her MPs than Boris is being treated by his MPs now and the parliamentary party didn't owe their seats to Mrs May as much of the parliamentary party owe their seats to Boris after he won the big majority in 2019 she failed to get in 2017
    May was treated very badly by her party so I don’t buy this poor Johnson line .
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

We are heading to full blown constitutional crisis unless the whole House votes no confidence.

Yes indeed. The dangers of electing a narcissist with a proven record of being fired for lying. Imagine ...

Will Tories walk into voting division with Labour, Lib and SNP???

The Tories might, but will the BlueKippers?
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

In most democracies no one party has a monopoly on power - indeed, it's often considered unhealthy when that is the case. The argument about Japan, for example, is whether the extended period of LDP rule has truly been beneficial or whether the country has stagnated.

That's Japan, though - in the British system, the periodic change of power between parties and has been regarded as an integral part of the process. The Conservatives have led the Government for 12 years - previously Labour led for 13. It may be the intervals between changes will revert to shorter timeframes in the later 2020s and 2030s - I don't know and neither do you.

Can you not accept a constructive period of Opposition might allow the Party to re-group, re-think and re-invigorate the Conservative message?
    To be honest the party deserves a period in opposition after this
  • Options

As I said earlier...

Jason Groves
    @JasonGroves1

You know I can't believe it when I hear that you won't see me
    You know I don't believe you when you say that you don't need me
    I am the one and only, nobody I'd rather be.
    I am the one and only, you can't take that away from me!
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Remember kids, there is no constitutional rule that the leader of the party is the PM iirc.

No, but once he is ejected from the party, the MPs are no longer bound to support him in a formal VONC
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706
    The BBC is so behind Sky in terms of the breaking news.

So do we think any Cabinet Ministers will resign tonight, now that Boris isn't?
  • Options

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    33s

The MPs keep thinking he will make their job easier. They seem to have at last realised they need to remove him, but it will still fall on them to formally do it - hold firm over the weekend lads and ladettes (and miscellaneous).
  • Options
    Breaking: Boris Johnson is absolutely defiant tonight.

Won't quit. Preparing for big economic reset speech. Filling cabinet gaps tonight. Warning election defeat follows if PM is removed.

The message to Tory rebels per an ally: "Sober up, smell the coffee and wake up."

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1544760103282286594
  • Options

No but there is the rule that the PM enjoys the majority of the house. We have never ever in modern politics been in a position where anyone has ever tried to test the roles being divorced (other than for temporary reasons), but surely if the Conservative party removed Boris as leader and then communicated to HMTQ that they had no confidence in him as Tory leader there would have to be a good argument mounted for her to dismiss? I suppose she could ask them to test it on the floor of the house with a full VONC.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,235
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

To be honest the party deserves a period in opposition after this
    Your most sensible EVER post!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

One nation, under God
This discussion has been closed.