Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Bad news for people laying a 2022 general election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,647
    He is not going of his own accord is he? @HYUFD has got this 100% right.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    dixiedean said:

The plan.
    Massive tax cuts and handouts tomorrow.
    Then to the Palace.
    The 1922 have knobbed it again. We won't get to Monday without him at least trying for a dissolution.
    He'll believe he can campaign his way out of this with roguish charm. He may not be wrong.

Yes, it is fun to speculate/predict what he is going to try to do.

He has said apparently he has “a lot to say” do your comment about massive handouts is probably spot on.

Zahawi has already suggested massive tax cuts this morning, though, and it seems to have had no effect whatsoever.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030

kjh said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Right on cue, some brave individual on the BBC misunderstands a political leader is an annointed king.

An unnamed MP close to Boris Johnson tonight described some of his critics as “treacherous”.

They are, a load of wet, treacherous, pygmies.

Exactly the same type of MPs who toppled Thatcher, another great election winner, leading to years of bitter division in the party and ultimately over a decade in opposition
    Given that this seems to describe the almost the entire parliamentary party, are we to assume you have now transferred your loyalty to Il Duce?
    It doesn't, just the traitors. The membership will ensure the traitors do not get rewarded if Boris is removed by ensuring they do not get the leadership
    Hopefully the membership is not quite as loony as you. Even within the modern “Conservative” party, I suspect you are an outlier.
    I don't like the bullying of @HYUFD

Yes, he's eccentric, dogmatic and pedantic and always has to have the last word but we know he will transfer his loyalty 100% the instant a new Conservative leader and PM takes office, so why badger him?
    Because he holds views which are deeply offensive - more I would suggest than almost anyone else on here - and he invites scorn with his statements of absolute certainty which almost inevitably turn out to be rubbish. It is not bullying to point out his idiocy just as others point out mine and yours.
    I take issue with that. I disagree with him about many things but his views are not offensive. I don't think the views of anyone on here are 'offensive', not even Sandy Rentool's cheerful wish for the elimination of all humanity. You may be offended by his views, but that is different (though I don'tsee why you would be, he may be not be the board's cheeriest poster but he is seldom rude despite a lot of provocation). And more often than not his views about what goes on within the Conservative Party are pretty well informed.
    Well I have to say if you don't think that supporting the Spanish police beating up grannies because the want to vote and advocating doing the same thing to citizens in this country is offensive then I think your moral compass is somewhat skewed.

His attitude of 'party before country' is also offensive.

As I have said before I would not see him leave; he has an absolute right to say what he wants. But I and others have an absolute right to call him out for it and treat both him and his views with the disdain they deserve.
    These views are not "offensive" though. They are "wrong". Or, more accurately, "I disagree with them".
    No. Supporting the beating of people for wanting to vote and advocating it for our country is offensive. Far more offensive than the rude words you seem to object to on here.
    I can see both sides of this argument but I must admit I do personally find some of his post offensive, although I might be considered a bit of a wimp. To name a few: His views on the average intelligence of Africans, willingness to nuke Argentina, believing Russia is a democracy. The list goes on.

As far as I can tell he is effectively a fascist.
    I agree with Tyndall.
    If I was a Fascist I would be pushing for you to be interned without trial.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

We are heading to full blown constitutional crisis unless the whole House votes no confidence.

Yes indeed. The dangers of electing a narcissist with a proven record of being fired for lying. Imagine ...

Will Tories walk into voting division with Labour, Lib and SNP???

The Tories might, but will the BlueKippers?
    Not enough of them to stop a No Confidence vote across the House.

Seriously, I think it is the only way now.

I expect commentators to be writing articles for tomorrow to that effect as I post.
    If they want it done this week, that would seem to be the case.

I think Boris is underestimating how the snowball effect could hit him. Various previously very loyal people have quit and slammed his leadership on a personal level - the existing rebels will renew their verbal assaults, the new rebels will feel released to say everything they've ever wanted to say, they will egg each other on, and they may well start to contemplate even such a state as a House vote.

I still put that as unlikely, but just as he is now contemplating extreme actions to save his job, probably because is so angry, so too will the rebels, who now have a likely majority, be increasingly furious he is making them do this the hard way. And that could lead them to drastic measures.
    Surely though that destroys the Tory party? Johnson resigns the whip with his loyalists and refuses to support a continuity Tory government?
    I think it is pretty clear that some people, Boris amongst them, think they are loyal tories even as they imply they would seek to bring down any future government not led by him (there can be no other interpretation - as Leon pointed out a party with this scale of majority is not threatened into a GE it does not want)
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,062

Leon said:

I second the calls to LEAVE @HYUFD ALONE!

Poor chap is probably and seriously in mourning. Cut him some slack this one night

Can we not just do a little bit of gloating please? OK, OK I promise not to mention that Boris Johnson was a traitor once, no twice, er hang on maybe more than that? How many wives, girlfriends etc., collegues stabbed in the back by the hopeless lying scumbag.

Anyway, on a more positive note, if the Conservative Party heads in the right direction I might just reward it with my membership. I am sure folk like HY will be overjoyed and will welcome me back like the prodigal son.
    If you were ever outside the Tories you're not a real Tory anyway.

He still holds against me the fact that I voted for Labour in 2001, despite having voted Tory in every GE since and having been a member and activist from 2004-2016.
    Didn’t he vote Plaid?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    kjh said:

And, erm, moi?

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,262
    So, if you are Starmer, and you have witnessed the shitfest of today, what do you do? Sit and wait? Or call a VONC in the government tomorrow?

I can't see how all the Tory MPs who want the man gone can vote confidence in him. Remember that if the government loses this confidence motion the PM *has* to resign and the Queen can appoint an alternative PM.

Tempting if you are a baffled Tory wondering how on earth *that* has the brass balled gumption to try and keep going.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

kjh said:

And, erm, moi?

Et moi aussi!!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Breaking: Boris Johnson is absolutely defiant tonight.

Won't quit. Preparing for big economic reset speech. Filling cabinet gaps tonight. Warning election defeat follows if PM is removed.

The message to Tory rebels per an ally: "Sober up, smell the coffee and wake up."

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1544760103282286594

But he...2019 was...argh!!!!!
    Whisper it quietly, but Boris Johnson lies..... a lot.
    Sure, but the Tory MPs are supposed to not realise it is a lie.

His whole pitch is that they owe him eternal loyalty for winning the 2019 GE, so they can hardly forget the win was gotten after removing the PM!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    edited July 2022
    kjh said:

Why should he go? He won a confidence vote a few weeks ago, and the rules say no more such votes for 12 months. Those calling for him to go are being disrespectful of the rules.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303

So, if you are Starmer, and you have witnessed the shitfest of today, what do you do? Sit and wait? Or call a VONC in the government tomorrow?

I can't see how all the Tory MPs who want the man gone can vote confidence in him. Remember that if the government loses this confidence motion the PM *has* to resign and the Queen can appoint an alternative PM.

Tempting if you are a baffled Tory wondering how on earth *that* has the brass balled gumption to try and keep going.

The line Cooper was pushing is that they're all tainted by association now.

I don't think he needs a confidence vote which he would inevitably lose to reinforce that.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Scott_xP said:

Nadhim Zahawi is definitely not resigning, I am told.

I understand he told Boris Johnson tonight that he faced a difficult situation, there are lots of government positions that must be filled and winning a vote would be difficult.

But he is not walking

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1544764187972452355

So Boris is going to be supported by two Nads.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Endillion said:

His name is Sunak
    Oh, Rishi Sunak
    His boss went mental
    So he resigned.
    The resulting walk-out
    Can't prise the dork out
    Please can you make
    Him go
    Away.

Tomorrow is Rishi’s big moment, yes?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,040
    No10 say tonight that Boris Johnson won’t go. They deny cabinet ministers called for him to go tonight — but a number of cabinet ministers confirm that’s what happened. No10 say the PM has “called their bluff.”
    https://twitter.com/ionewells/status/1544765904570957825
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Right on cue, some brave individual on the BBC misunderstands a political leader is an annointed king.

An unnamed MP close to Boris Johnson tonight described some of his critics as “treacherous”.

Exactly the same type of MPs who toppled Thatcher, another great election winner, leading to years of bitter division in the party and ultimately over a decade in opposition
    Given that this seems to describe the almost the entire parliamentary party, are we to assume you have now transferred your loyalty to Il Duce?
    It doesn't, just the traitors. The membership will ensure the traitors do not get rewarded if Boris is removed by ensuring they do not get the leadership
    Hopefully the membership is not quite as loony as you. Even within the modern “Conservative” party, I suspect you are an outlier.

Yes, he's eccentric, dogmatic and pedantic and always has to have the last word but we know he will transfer his loyalty 100% the instant a new Conservative leader and PM takes office, so why badger him?
    Because he holds views which are deeply offensive - more I would suggest than almost anyone else on here - and he invites scorn with his statements of absolute certainty which almost inevitably turn out to be rubbish. It is not bullying to point out his idiocy just as others point out mine and yours.
    I take issue with that. I disagree with him about many things but his views are not offensive. I don't think the views of anyone on here are 'offensive', not even Sandy Rentool's cheerful wish for the elimination of all humanity. You may be offended by his views, but that is different (though I don'tsee why you would be, he may be not be the board's cheeriest poster but he is seldom rude despite a lot of provocation). And more often than not his views about what goes on within the Conservative Party are pretty well informed.
    Well I have to say if you don't think that supporting the Spanish police beating up grannies because the want to vote and advocating doing the same thing to citizens in this country is offensive then I think your moral compass is somewhat skewed.

As I have said before I would not see him leave; he has an absolute right to say what he wants. But I and others have an absolute right to call him out for it and treat both him and his views with the disdain they deserve.
    These views are not "offensive" though. They are "wrong". Or, more accurately, "I disagree with them".
    No. Supporting the beating of people for wanting to vote and advocating it for our country is offensive. Far more offensive than the rude words you seem to object to on here.
    I can see both sides of this argument but I must admit I do personally find some of his post offensive, although I might be considered a bit of a wimp. To name a few: His views on the average intelligence of Africans, willingness to nuke Argentina, believing Russia is a democracy. The list goes on.

As far as I can tell he is effectively a fascist.
    I agree with Tyndall.
    If I was a Fascist I would be pushing for you to be interned without trial.

Isn't that already a policy your government has brought in?

Again. David fucking lickspittle Duguid has shown more moral compass than you have. And he has none.
  • Options

Ok Zahawi and co, get your resignations in please. If you’re going to call for the PM to go and he isn’t, you need to leave office.

Zahawi desperately wants to avoid being the one-day chancellor.
    Surely it would be two-day?
  • Options
    kjh said:

PLenty of people predicted that.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

I understand he told Boris Johnson tonight that he faced a difficult situation, there are lots of government positions that must be filled and winning a vote would be difficult.

But he is not walking

Mad Nad and Bad Nad?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,862
    Brandon Lewis resigns .
  • Options
    Increasingly clear Boris Johnson will not go tonight. Or even tomorrow. Looks like the new 1922 committee will change the rules and there will be another confidence vote next week. Which Mr Johnson will lose. Lose badly. Then it will be over. Cue summer leadership contest.
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1544764306201493507
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

But he is not walking

Johnson and his pair of Nads
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    This is not going to be doing great things for the already fragile health of Elizabeth Windsor aged 96, is it?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited July 2022
    kjh said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

IQ of nations tests are factual and undeniable. Nukes are there as a last resort to defend British territory, irrespective of the merits of using them or not Argentina invaded the Falklands, British territory. Russia has presidential and parliamentary elections, it may not be a perfect democracy but it is a democracy.

I am entitled to my views as long as they are legal and will continue to make them with generally less abuse than is directed at me
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,675
    I’m seeing SNP MPs being interviewed, but not being asked about Grady.
  • Options
    Brandon Lewis becomes third cabinet minister to resign
    https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1544766301901651970
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

No10 say tonight that Boris Johnson won’t go. They deny cabinet ministers called for him to go tonight — but a number of cabinet ministers confirm that’s what happened. No10 say the PM has “called their bluff.”

That tweet makes no sense. If No 10 is claiming the Cabinet Ministers did not call for him to go, then No 10 is claiming there was no bluff made for the PM to call.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713

Ok Zahawi and co, get your resignations in please. If you’re going to call for the PM to go and he isn’t, you need to leave office.

He won't be either way. Even if Johnson resigned tonight, the current cabinet stay in post until a new PM is elected. Osbourne hung around for a few weeks and probably would've stayed on if May had actually not been so nasty against him and sacked him.
  • Options

Jessica Elgot
    @jessicaelgot
    ·
    8m
    Ally of Liz Truss says she is not cancelling her G20 trip - believes now is not the time to exit from the important international commitments. She is sticking by the PM.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kjh said:

Why should he go? He won a confidence vote a few weeks ago, and the rules say no more such votes for 12 months. Those calling for him to go are being disrespectful of the rules.
    Quite right. Johnson is the victim here!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Breaking: Boris Johnson is absolutely defiant tonight.

Won't quit. Preparing for big economic reset speech. Filling cabinet gaps tonight. Warning election defeat follows if PM is removed.

The message to Tory rebels per an ally: "Sober up, smell the coffee and wake up."

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1544760103282286594

But he...2019 was...argh!!!!!
    Whisper it quietly, but Boris Johnson lies..... a lot.
    Citation needed ( but please don’t clog out the entire thread).

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

That tweet makes no sense. If No 10 is claiming the Cabinet Ministers did not call for him to go, then No 10 is claiming there was no bluff made for the PM to call.
    Sounds like Rudy Giuliani is already on the job.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    IanB2 said:

Surely it would be two-day?
    Well, I was thinking if he'd resigned less than 24 hours after being appointed. But apparently he's not going to resign as part of the cabinet delegation that went to Boris earlier to get him to quit.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Brandon Lewis resigns .

Ok. That is bad for Johnson. It shows this isn't over yet. And he is in any case running out of replacements.

The issue really of course is that he should have resigned the morning Oswestry fell in that needless by-election his own bungling brought about. He's been a dead man walking ever since. But he won't go unless he's unable to form a cabinet, which now starts to look a serious possibility.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,962

Or 300+ Tories resign the whip (until this distasteful situation is over) , reconstitute themselves as a new party - maybe a ridiculous name that a political party would never have like Whiggs, and cross the floor leaving Boris, Mogg and Nads on their own on one side. Then it might strike home.

• Options
    Lewis resigns
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

IQ of nations tests are factual and undeniable. Nukes are there as a last resort to defend British territory, irrespective of the merits of using them or not Argentina is British territory. Russia has presidential and parliamentary elections, it may not be a perfect democracy but it is a democracy.

I am entitled to my views as long as they are legal and will continue to make them with generally less abuse than is directed at me
    It isn't abuse, it is pity. And we will rejoice heartily when you finally reject him and join civilisation.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,062

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Nadine Dorries has submitted a letter of no intelligence. https://twitter.com/bccbreaking/status/1544690533674754049/photo/1

That is good
    Not really.

It’s personal abuse.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

You let the Tories fight among themselves, and take great care not to do anything to distract them from that task.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    Andy_JS said:

murali_s said:

Hilarious stuff going on today.

The Tory party tearing themselves apart in public. What's not to like. LOL.

You can see BJ's point of view though. He won a confidence vote just a few weeks ago.
    Does he have enough spare MPs to fill the gaps?
  • Options

Jason Groves
    @JasonGroves1
    ·
    20m
    Grant Shapps told the PM he would lose another confidence vote and suggested he aim for a more 'dignified' departure. But not quitting - yet
  • Options
    Chris said:

You let the Tories fight among themselves, and take great care not to do anything to distract them from that task.
    Durham may like a word.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    IanB2 said:

Now Shapps has ducked out of resigning

What about Michael Green though?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347

He is presumably hamstrung by the fact that as many have noted, the Durham police are meant to opine this week.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Can I just say.
    This has been absolutely great.
    Excellent to be ahead of everyone in knowing what's going on. And what could happen.
    Thanks to all on here for the info, jokes, speculation and bewilderment.
    I suspect tomorrow may be even better!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Increasingly clear Boris Johnson will not go tonight. Or even tomorrow. Looks like the new 1922 committee will change the rules and there will be another confidence vote next week. Which Mr Johnson will lose. Lose badly. Then it will be over. Cue summer leadership contest.

How does he think that setting himself up for such a humiliation helps himself, his party or the country
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Brandon Lewis resigns .

A cabinet post now for whoever leads the DUP these days.
  • Options

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

But he is not walking

Johnson and his pair of Nads
    Go Nads!
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

Way back in the day (but long after JRM's world view was formed) British monarchs frequently tried to appoint their own favorite choice as First Minister of the Treasury Bench, only to find out from him that sadly (or not) he could NOT form a ministry.

Let's not go giving HM any ideas. The notion that Prince Andrew trying to govern from the Lord's would be preferable even to the present calamity is questionable at best.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Boris is exploiting vague rules to stay in power

BoZo is claiming a personal electoral mandate he doesn't possess

Trump...
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

kjh said:

I really struggle to understand your position if I am honest.

Let's play this out hypothetically - say there are a number of further Cabinet resignations, and Boris simply cannot find sufficient numbers to serve under him. He would have lost the ability to govern. Yet your position on the sacrosanct rules of the Conservative and Unionist Party would suggest that an inability to govern would be an irrelevance?

Now, he is not quite at that stage. He has the support of most of the Cabinet still, and some number of MPs (let's call it 30-55% to be generous), but his ability to govern has certainly been impacted.

Are you actually saying you think the actual ability to govern is secondary to the rulebook of a political party? Rules you have in any case misunderstood, since they have the ability to change the rules.

Or what about if, again hypothetically, a PM did something outrageous, possibly even illegal, and every member of the party called for him to go - sorry mate the rules say you cannot remove him? Come off it.

This is like when people complain about invoking provisions within a treaty. It might be a very bad idea, but the ability to invoke them was there for a reason, it is not disrespectul to it to invoke them. Neither is it disrespectul to amend rules, when amending rules is permitted.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nico679 said:

Brandon Lewis resigns .

Ok. That is bad for Johnson. It shows this isn't over yet. And he is in any case running out of replacements.

The issue really of course is that he should have resigned the morning Oswestry fell in that needless by-election his own bungling brought about. He's been a dead man walking ever since. But he won't go unless he's unable to form a cabinet, which now starts to look a serious possibility.
    Some commentator or other said earlier there are estimates that 60 MPs are left as Back Boris team. Enough for a Cabinet.

• Options
    Therese Coffey is starting to look like a right numpty, isn’t she?
  • Options
    Gove is still very quiet. He’s the type to come out with an opinion piece in the Telegraph or Sun tomorrow to steal a march on his rivals.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Can't see we get there without at least.a try for a dissolution.
    We just need that FPN to stick the top hat on it all.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 485

If you are Starmer, you sit back and do nothing... and enjoy the spectacle.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

How does he think that setting himself up for such a humiliation helps himself, his party or the country

He is World King for one more day.

A giant Fuck You to his haters.
  • Options
    Brandon Lewis's team insisting he has NOT resigned from the cabinet. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/06/boris-johnson-news-cabinet-resignations-sunak-zahawi-pincher/

Get a fucking grip, lads...
  • Options

This is not going to be doing great things for the already fragile health of Elizabeth Windsor aged 96, is it?

Nah, she's see all sorts.

Jeez, her uncle abdicated.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713
    BBC just saying that Lewis HASN'T resigned? Do we know for sure?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Lewis resigns

That one needs to filled because of various bits of legislation. Boris is now damaging the country.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    kjh said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I just get very irritated that he seems to think we are stupid enough to swallow the reams of horsesh*t he posts here as gospel truth.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

.@BorisJohnson's dragged-out departure confirms him as Britain's Trump.

As the PM clings on, tonight's #WaughOnPolitics is in your inbox

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/boris-johnsons-dragged-out-departure-confirms-him-as-britains-trump-1727923

Trump literally attempted a coup

There is an almighty difference
    Quite right. He's more like like budget Trump or PG rated Trump. And his party haven't all had the MAGA brain rot virus so they want him gone.
  • Options
    Lewis has NOT resigned
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Can I just say.
    This has been absolutely great.
    Excellent to be ahead of everyone in knowing what's going on. And what could happen.
    Thanks to all on here for the info, jokes, speculation and bewilderment.
    I suspect tomorrow may be even better!

Correct. This really is the number 1 site! 👍
    Absolutely.

Thanks to OGH and Robert and TSE
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Brandon Lewis's team insisting he has NOT resigned from the cabinet. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/06/boris-johnson-news-cabinet-resignations-sunak-zahawi-pincher/

He told the told the media, before he told them. Like when Malcolm Tucker was shown the TV screen announcing his resignation during the conversation where he was fired...
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Let go, Brandon!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That one was interesting because Sky didn't mention it and not seen many other mentions of it on Twitter other than the BBC live feed mention.
  • Options

Ah, well it says something when ministers need to announce they are NOT resigning.
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m
    This is starting to border on the pathological. Fight? Fight for what? What do Boris and his supporters think is going to happen.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Trump...
    If Boris loses a VONC and leaves number 10 but then leads a march on the commons with 50,000 amped-up Brexiteers all hoping to hang Michael Gove from the London Eye then there will be a justifiable comparison

• Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/boris-johnsons-dragged-out-departure-confirms-him-as-britains-trump-1727923

Quite right. He's more like like budget Trump or PG rated Trump. And his party haven't all had the MAGA brain rot virus so they want him gone.
    I like “PG Trump”.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858

Top bants.
    The non-resignation resignation.

Boris is right, the supposed cabinet rebels are a bunch of pusillanimous no-marks who would find it difficult to get a job doing the bins, had he not appointed them to…er…high office.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    IanB2 said:

Lewis has NOT resigned

But what about Morse?
  • Options
    🗣️ Sajid Javid has urged Cabinet ministers to walk out and bring down Boris Johnson, warning them the Prime Minister risks tarnishing the Tories for a generation if he stays in power https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/06/enough-enough-sajid-javid-urges-ministers-resign-bring-boris/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1657112067-2
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,862
    When will the DM call the Tory rebels enemies of the people .
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,022
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes. I think Boris is a mendacious, slovenly, embarrassing clown. But Trump he is not. The comparisons are fatuous.
  • Options
    Is Geoff Cox still an MP?

He'd be a fun interim PM
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291
    Schroedinger's Northern Ireland Secretary: If you put Brandon Lewis in a sealed plane with no phone signal he exists in a state of both resigned and not resigned simultaneously until the door opens and he connects to EE's network.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    edited July 2022

Jason Groves
    @JasonGroves1
    ·
    20m
    Grant Shapps told the PM he would lose another confidence vote and suggested he aim for a more 'dignified' departure. But not quitting - yet

Has Johnson ever done dignity?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Why would the latter two concern him? We've already seen loyalists now happy for the Tories to lose because Boris might be removed, he certainly thinks no more of the party than they.

As for himself, I don't think he thinks he has definitely lost. At every stage his opponents have buckled at the last hurdle, hoping against hope he will fall on his sword for them. One area I agree with the loyalists is he should not have to - it's the job of the MPs to wield the sword.

He will already see this as humiliation. If he is going to be humiliated further, it would seem he wants them to step up and force it.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,022
    Scott_xP said:

Brandon Lewis is the one true heir to Falconer.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    Guy from ConHome on Sky News making the point that if the Ministers who told BJ to go don't resign, they'll have the fact that they have no confidence in the PM brought up to them by the press and opposition constantly
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m
    This is starting to border on the pathological. Fight? Fight for what? What do Boris and his supporters think is going to happen.

His point of view would be that he's standing up for the principle that he won a fair vote very recently and shouldn't be forced out without another one.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

When will the DM call the Tory rebels enemies of the people .

Supposedly Lord Harmsworth has had Dacre taken out and castrated. So probably never.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311

I have ramped the early GE scenario. So lets think about how this works.

Working backwards we know that the '22 have a new committee elected on Monday. Which is very likely to say "new rules" and trigger a vote for Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

We also know the PM believes his mandate is from the people instead of from the MPs who vote confidence in him and from Her Majesty who appoints him on that basis.

Reports have it that half a dozen or so senior cabinet ministers told him to go. So add them to the other 39 to date who quit. Not everyone has to be quickly replaced and there will still be some slavish sycophants wanting a ministerial limo.

So, make Matt Vickers Secretary of State for Drinking and Parmos. Send him out to do his drunken thumbs up on the media. And tell the queen there must be a General Election called this weekend.

Why this weekend? Because my mandate from the people is under threat and our democracy demands that we put the question back to them. Some debate. But the palace cannot concede as it opens the door to an almighty political and constitutional row.

What happens if the PM is no longer a Tory candidate? And Starmer and Rayner receive FPNs and resign? Election called for no reason that is urgent or constitutional, no leader in either main party. So it won't happen. Which makes the PMs entire play a non-starter. He is - as I have said to some mocking - toast.

I think the GE plan works best for Johnson if it comes after he's forced Tory MPs to vote against him in a Commons Vote of No Confidence.

Unlike the internal Tory party vote that vote is public, so he would then remove the whip from the rebels and call an election with loyalists in place as candidates. With the whip withdrawn from enough Tory MPs there would no longer be a majority in the Commons, and so justification for a general election.

The bit I'm not sure of is the party whip bit. Fairly certain this is a government job, and so on the gift of the PM, and he can remove the party whip, even after he's lost the party leadership confidence vote. But it would mean that you could possibly have a scenario where the PM removed the Conservative whip from the MP who replaced him as leader of the Conservative party, and I thought Conservative party rules prevented MPs without the whip standing for election as Conservative candidates. So the new leader of the Conservatives could be prevented from standing as an official Conservative Party candidate. But maybe I have missed something.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    Scott_xP said:

Perhaps it's difficult to tell either way.
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes. I think Boris is a mendacious, slovenly, embarrassing clown. But Trump he is not. The comparisons are fatuous.
    Agree with everyone saying this. The Trump comparison is silly, and largely based on build and hair colour.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709

IanB2 said:

Lewis has NOT resigned

But what about Morse?
    I expect he will dash off a statement.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The immediate problem is that Pincher has been getting a fucking grip...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

🗣️ Sajid Javid has urged Cabinet ministers to walk out and bring down Boris Johnson, warning them the Prime Minister risks tarnishing the Tories for a generation if he stays in power https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/06/enough-enough-sajid-javid-urges-ministers-resign-bring-boris/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1657112067-2

The Prime Minister has a personal mandate from the people of England. It is not up to these uppity cabinet ministers to resign, and the PM should simply refuse their resignations. "No Brandon, you ARE Secretary of State whether you like it or not".
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,233
    IanB2 said:

Starting?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Trump...
    "Boris is exploiting vague rules to stay in power"

In some senses, no, he's not. He was appointed PM by Queenie and he remains so unless she decides otherwise or he cannot command the House.

The trouble is every PM before him as had some self respect and so when 90% of their Cabinet and MPs tell them to fuck off they think 'Oh that means I don't command the House anymore'.

But not this clown.

He really, really thinks something will turn up.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    IanB2 said:

Starting ???
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

There are physical and superficial similarites, to be sure. But being stubborn and making people go through the frustrating but proper process to remove you rather than be dignified about it, is not similar in type to using legal tricks and inciting mobs to seek to remain in office after losing re-election. It just is not.

• Options
    As the PM tells ministers only he can defeat Labour, is there a method in this latest bout of madness.
    'Trump’s own betrayal narrative is fuelling a comeback..
    Johnson will certainly have a core of ardent loyalists who say, like Thatcher, he was never defeated at the ballot box'

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1544769104288038918

He still thinks the voters love him. Has he seen a poll?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Lewis has NOT resigned

But what about Morse?
    He's sent coded signals of intent.
  • Options
    Someone said yesterday was the night of the pen knives.

Today it seems more like those shite plastic knives you get in terrible cafes that don't cut through anything except perhaps jelly.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612
    OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Think that "all" is a bit harsh on the Never Trumpers old & new, including new recruit Lynn Cheney.

AND also think you should give BoJo bit more time before you come to final judgement.

After all, IIRC shortly after Election Day 2020, PB's leading theologian was proclaiming Mike Pence THE inevitable GOP nominee.

Of course that was BEFORE old 45 started calling for his fellow Putinists to hang his running mate from the nearest lamp-post.
This discussion has been closed.