Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Bad news for people laying a 2022 general election? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited July 2022 in General
Bad news for people laying a 2022 general election? – politicalbetting.com

**Nadhim Zahawi** is in the delegation of cabinet ministers about to tell the prime minister to go, I'm told

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,427
    First.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Time for a new thread!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    edited July 2022
    As I said earlier Boris calling a General Election would be the perfect conclusion to his premiership.

He started leading a minority Government, fought an election and won a whopping majority then threw it all away in a fit of pique, decimating (and worse) the Parliamentary Tory Party.

After all how could any Tory Candidate stand with Boris as leader...
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,219

First.

First in the line of Cabinet ministers telling him to go?

I want Zahawi to quit tonight. Less than 24 hours in office makes him immortal.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    If Johnson were to call a General Election, as a way of clinging to power, or at least attempting to, I would revise all my previous criticism of the FTPA.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    On account of rising energy prices would the last minister to leave Downing Street please switch off the government life support system ..... oh and the lights too ..
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720

Time for a new thread!

What, already? You're the second poster.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,261
    eek said:

As I said earlier Boris calling a General Election would be the perfect conclusion to his premiership.

He started leading a minority Government, fought an election and won a whopping majority then threw it all away in a fit of pique

I really really hope he does.

Sadly I don't think we're going to have that chance yet. Speaking as a soft leftie I mean.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,107
    I just don't see Johnson calling an election against the wishes of his party. It would precipitate a Tory defeat for the ages, and he would lose his own seat for sure. I don't think the Queen would go along with it, but Christ what a position to put her in.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Zahawi, what a snake!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If Johnson were to call a General Election, as a way of clinging to power, or at least attempting to, I would revise all my previous criticism of the FTPA.

I did warn you all that the FTPA was a wonderful piece of far sighted legislation and it would be a mistake to ditch it.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    Johnson is being grilled like a schoolboy on the liaison Committee

35 on the counter
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Stupid question (probably) but are we absolutely sure Boris wasn't meaning the new leader would want to call an election, rather than him calling an election to stop the new leader displacing him?
  • Options
    Since Boris is not Putin he can be given an off ramp - stay on as PM during a leadership contest. It gets him beyond May at least.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,117
    Damn, things are serious.

Nurse has woken up JackW from his afternoon nap....
  • Options
    Heathener said:

eek said:

He started leading a minority Government, fought an election and won a whopping majority then threw it all away in a fit of pique

I really really hope he does.

Sadly I don't think we're going to have that chance yet. Speaking as a soft leftie I mean.
    On a betting front it would be a betting election to top the SNP in 2015...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    The spectacle of the barnacle attempt to cling to power when there's possibly fewer than 100 MPs who would still support him is quite astonishing.
  • Options
    Fuck me. Jenkin tells him to go.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    It's not Queenie any more. It is Charles who will get lawyered up tae fuck and tell him about the Lascelles principles.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    kle4 said:

Since Boris is not Putin he can be given an off ramp - stay on as PM during a leadership contest. It gets him beyond May at least.

May 2023? The contest doesn't need to take that long.
  • Options
    David Herdson on Twitter makes an amusing point. https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1544708292454268929?t=b5Zyvw9yBl3ZFZrpKWh9JQ&s=19

Boris requesting and HMQ approving an early election would end up with the Tories worse than decimated and probably a 1997 style Labour landslide.

It ain't happening. But would almost be funny if it did.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Not answering this key question.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Nigelb said:

The spectacle of the barnacle attempt to cling to power when there's possibly fewer than 100 MPs who would still support him is quite astonishing.

Not dissimilar to Theresa’s departure although that was more “in sorrow, not in anger”.

Quite the reverse with Boris.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,275
    BREAKiNG: LBC reporting the 1922 committee has already changed its rules. Not yet clear in what way.
  • Options
    Jenkin now demanding that he confirms that he won't try to dissolve parliament if he is removed. PM won't answer. Jenkin keeps pulling him back.
  • Options
    Bernard goes for jugular over dissolution
  • Options
    "You're asking me to comment on politics."
    Well. Yes.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    (((Dan Hodges))) Retweeted
    Noa Hoffman
    @hoffman_noa
    ·
    6m
    Hearing the 1922 rules have now officially been changed
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,314

rcs1000 said:

I did warn you all that the FTPA was a wonderful piece of far sighted legislation and it would be a mistake to ditch it.
    Yeah....and pineapple is wonderful on pizza too! ;-)
  • Options
    eek said:

He started leading a minority Government, fought an election and won a whopping majority then threw it all away in a fit of pique, decimating (and worse) the Parliamentary Tory Party.

After all how could any Tory Candidate stand with Boris as leader...

No way he should have been in this situation. That victory should have left him free and clear, but he cannot help himself.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Now back to Downing St. for the whisky and revolver...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

"You're asking me to comment on politics."
    Well. Yes.

It's weird but I believe there's a principle that the Liaison Committee doesn't discuss (party) politics.

Which seems rather impossible today! 🤣
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

As an aide... Were Johnson that stupid (and I really don't think he is), then I think there would be an awful lot of very surprised libdem MPs in the South of England.
  • Options
    That was absolutely spectacular. Mind-blowing. From start to finish.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578
    Boris Johnson and PB BoJo Brigade - be of good cheer!

For unreliable, uninformed sources are allegedly perhaps reporting, that RUDY GIULIANI is winging his way eastward across the Atlantic - in the "Spirit of Mar-a-Lardo" - to give BJBJ the benefit of his sage counsel.

What would be an equivalent UK venue to equal the PR impact of "Four Seasons"?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/03/four-seasons-total-landscaping-lighthearted-lesson-business
  • Options

He should have done it before midday as I said last night.

But he's not surviving today either way.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,275
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Noa Hoffman
    @hoffman_noa
    ·
    6m

To ban people called Boris being leader?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

David Herdson on Twitter makes an amusing point. https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1544708292454268929?t=b5Zyvw9yBl3ZFZrpKWh9JQ&s=19

Boris requesting and HMQ approving an early election would end up with the Tories worse than decimated and probably a 1997 style Labour landslide.

As suggested on an earlier thread that would probably lead to a situation similar to that of Canada's Conservatives. They'd look on '97 as a comparative success!
  • Options
    The Queen will not allow a dissolution in these circumstances - I am rock solid sure on that.

The 1922 are about to organize a VONC he will lose and the Cabinet are about to withdraw support.

If he goes to the Palace in these circumstances he is virtually no longer PM and she will stall somehow.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aide... Were Johnson that stupid (and I really don't think he is), then I think there would be an awful lot of very surprised libdem MPs in the South of England.
    But think about it. Maybe if he can't have an election the only way of saving his premiership would be a nuclear war with Russia.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    rcs1000 said:

Hmmm:

The measure of a PM is performing well in difficult times. Blair had a golden legacy that flatters his performance. (Macmillan is flattered for the same reasons.) Eden was much worse than Cameron, and I would posit Johnson.

PMs that had really difficult problems to solve and performed well:

Thatcher (numerous)
    Major (the 1992 recession, Northern Ireland)
    Attlee (post war reconstruction)
    Cameron (GFC fallout)

And I think you have to say that Johnson performed no worse than peers (and in some ways better) over covid, and he did (sadly via lying) actually get Brexit enacted.

Callaghan and May both tried to solve problems with potentially effective solutions but got screwed by legacy parliamentary parties. I'd push all them higher than consensus.
    More un-PC: Brown-Darling are well respected elsewhere for dealing with the GFC, and also were dealing with legacy plus, well, a GFC, that poisoned their contemporary reputations. No ambitious politician will praise them but historians might.
    Even more un-PC: A Suez-type event was the inevitable wake-up call that an Edwardian unilateral attitude to foreign relations was unsustainable. It wasn't the cause of decline, and even merely perceptually, losing the East to Japan was the root cause of perceptions of weakness.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304

rcs1000 said:

Quite right. It could have done with a few tweaks, but why anyone thought giving a rogue PM the power to fool around with the election date was such a wonderful thing was always a mystery to me.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    There's no reason for the Queen to agree, and who would be left to campaign on his behalf?
  • Options

He should have done it before midday as I said last night.

But he's not surviving today either way.
    He might. I assume the '22 will announce a vote tomorrow.
  • Options
    Been quite a 24 hours.
    What will the next 24 bring?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Aiannucci/status/1544712914174676992

"Boris and Nadine: it’ll be like the end of Antony and Cleopatra."
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578
    JACK_W said:

On account of rising energy prices would the last minister to leave Downing Street please switch off the government life support system ..... oh and the lights too ..

Also empty the wine fridge(s).

Don't worry about cleaning up, as new PM - regardless of party - will be sending in a HazMat team to deal with the lingering stench.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

A higher total than most English batters have achieved this summer, Bairstow and Root exempted.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,154
    Can the PM really call a GE by himself without the approval of his party?

We do have a wacky constitution
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178
    Quote me o this.

Boris will NOT quit before September.
  • Options
    New education secretary also in delegation at No 10
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    tlg86 said:

It's like GE night on here.

When are Durham Police going to chuck a grenade into the mix?

That would be priceless.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yup.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    Nunu3 said:

Quote me o this.

He won’t quit full stop. He’s going to have to be pulled out kicking and screaming.
  • Options

Romeo and Juliette.
  • Options

The Queen will not allow a dissolution in these circumstances - I am rock solid sure on that.

The 1922 are about to organize a VONC he will lose and the Cabinet are about to withdraw support.

If he goes to the Palace in these circumstances he is virtually no longer PM and she will stall somehow.

That's a pity as it really would be a sight to behold.

And probably isn't the worst plan for the Tory party as the next few years are going to be brutal for the party in power.
  • Options

As suggested on an earlier thread that would probably lead to a situation similar to that of Canada's Conservatives. They'd look on '97 as a comparative success!
    There'd be competing Conservative candidates for sure.
  • Options

Leon said:

Yup.
    Even if his entire Cabinet says, Nah, do one??

Incredible
  • Options

Camilla Turner
    @camillahmturner
    BREAKING: Michelle Donelan, the newly appointed Education Secretary, is part of the delegation of Cabinet ministers who have gone to Downing Street to tell the PM the game is up
    https://twitter.com/camillahmturner/status/1544711794899419136
  • Options
    No one does it like the Tories they LOL?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Noa Hoffman
    @hoffman_noa
    ·
    6m

To ban people called Boris being leader?
    Worth saying the Noa Hoffman had been at the Sun 4 days when she kicked this all off with her story regarding Chris Pincher
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

Romeo and Juliette.
    I’ll leave this one to other PB pedants…
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178

Qoute me on it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yup.

Incredible
    No, not by himself, requires the Monarch's approval.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    Sean_F said:

There's no reason for the Queen to agree, and who would be left to campaign on his behalf?

Indeed. The legislation is very clear. The PM requests and the Queen decides.

Of course if the '22 were clever they could kill this one straight away by changing the rules to say that, in the event of a dissolution, the removal of a Leader of the party can be decided by those who were sitting Conservative MPs at the time of dissolution.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651

Damn, things are serious.

Nurse has woken up JackW from his afternoon nap....

I resemble that remark ... :smile:
  • Options
    It doesnt happen often, but there are times when parliament, and MPs, remind PMs they serve at their pleasure, not the other way around.

Right decision or not, it is their confidence that informs the choice.
  • Options
    Nunu3 said:

Qoute me on it.

Sure thing.

Nunu3: "Boris will NOT quit before September."
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yup.

Incredible
    Yup, this part of our constitution is based on a letter to The Times in 1950.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lascelles_Principles
  • Options
    Leon said:

He needs the Cabinet though not be against such a decision. If its just his own bonkers scheme and the likes of Gove are telling the Palace via usual channels that none of them support it and Johnson is about to lose his leadership, I just cannot see how Queenie grants Big Dog a dissolution.

But if I tries it he will finally have confirmed he is British Trump.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

Why won't it happen? Nick Palmer has made the point that Gordon Brown threatened an election to Labour MPs who were trying to remove him. Unfortunately we have a very elderly and frail monarch who even in her prime would always act on the advice of her prime minister. I wonder what her son is thinking about it all?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,943
    In hindsight, the fact Johnson turned up to the liaison committee tells us a lot about his state of mind. He genuinely thought he could style this out.
    https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1544714013426196488
  • Options
    Question - if there is a confidence vote tomorrow and he loses, does he automatically cease to be party leader?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    biggles said:

tlg86 said:

It's like GE night on here.

When are Durham Police going to chuck a grenade into the mix?

That would be priceless.
    Quite frankly it's irresponsible of them not to make a decision.
  • Options
    A Boris V the Entire World election would be a spectacle

Could be close
  • Options
    Michael Savage
    @michaelsavage
    ·
    2m
    In hindsight, the fact Johnson turned up to the liaison committee tells us a lot about his state of mind. He genuinely thought he could style this out.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

@HYUFD
  • Options
    Nunu3 said:

Qoute me on it.

Has he got a teaching post lined up?
    I heard they are short.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

There is Good News! The Prime Minister is being whisked as we speak to RAF Northolt where he is to hold very urgent meetings with President Zelinskiy for the next two years.

How much would we have to pay them for the 'Good Bye, Lenin?' option?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Leon said:

A Boris V the Entire World election would be a spectacle

Could be close

I think it could.
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    7m
    He can’t. The Queen wouldn’t let him.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Tories are not fit for office.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yup.

Incredible

That shows that the Queen can refuse and I would suggest all three of the conditions for her refusal exist.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,107

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yup.

Incredible

That makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    eek said:

Michael Savage
    @michaelsavage
    ·
    2m

No choice, a no show would have been a de facto resignation
  • Options

In these circumstances granting a request would be more political than refusing it.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Shades of Trump, with HM playing the Pence role.
  • Options
    Speaking as someone not averse to a bit of personal storification, I wonder if Boris has one eye on that memoir advance

The more spectacularly chaotic and bizarre he makes his departure, the more publishers will clamour to buy his tell-all autobiography - and the more they will pay

This week will make the perfect ending - to volume one
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,117

Camilla Turner
    @camillahmturner
    BREAKING: Michelle Donelan, the newly appointed Education Secretary, is part of the delegation of Cabinet ministers who have gone to Downing Street to tell the PM the game is up
    https://twitter.com/camillahmturner/status/1544711794899419136
    Will they even have been assigned their Ministerial cars yet?
  • Options
    I like he showed up to the committee. He thought he was winning this fight didnt he?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Tories are not fit for office.

Indeed! A loooooooong period of opposition for the Tories is needed IMO.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yup.

Incredible

1) if the existing Parliament is still "vital, viable, and capable of doing its job",
    2) if a general election would be "detrimental to the national economy", and
    3) if the Sovereign could "rely on finding another prime minister who could govern for a reasonable period with a working majority in the House of Commons".

point 2 is supposedly irrelevant now but surely points 1 and 3 hold - it would just require the Tory Party to hold a coronation rather than an election...
  • Options

Why won't it happen? Nick Palmer has made the point that Gordon Brown threatened an election to Labour MPs who were trying to remove him. Unfortunately we have a very elderly and frail monarch who even in her prime would always act on the advice of her prime minister. I wonder what her son is thinking about it all?
    She has a higher duty to protect the constitution from abuse and this is abuse and her advisors will be telling her that. She's not that frail.

Anyway by time Johnson's car makes its way through traffic to Windsor he will no longer command the House and she can see him to accept his resignation.
  • Options
    Surprised loyalists haven't just blamed the foreign office mandarin who escalated the Pincher story for all this
This discussion has been closed.