Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The polling that should scare Tory MPs – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2022 in General
The polling that should scare Tory MPs – politicalbetting.com

The Boris boo-ing tells you nothing that looking at data doesn't. There is no social group that trusts him any more. Here's YouGov's trust tracker for *Conservative* voters. pic.twitter.com/g7Xnby24Cf

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    Apologies to @ydoethur for using Sam Freedman's thoughts in this thread header.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    2nd?
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,815
    edited June 2022
    We can look back by next weekend and laugh at the very thought he could survive,
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited June 2022

I think this polling is perhaps the most convincing I have seen.

There's nowhere left to run, even for a self-delusionist.
    Leon said:

Been busy here in Tbilisi so I only just caught up with the Platinum Party at the Palace

Outstanding. Simply outstanding showmanship. At times it edged uneasily towards a Britannia Nuremberg Rally on speed - it was that well done. The lights, the drones, the fireworks, the flags, most of the songs - impeccable

And the Paddington thing was inspired

Whatever you think of the royals, patriotism, Britain, that was a show and a half. Someone deserves a dukedom

Nah, Dukedoms are tainted by Randy Andy, friend of nonces.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206

Leon said:

Been busy here in Tbilisi so I only just caught up with the Platinum Party at the Palace

Outstanding. Simply outstanding showmanship. At times it edged uneasily towards a Britannia Nuremberg Rally on speed - it was that well done. The lights, the drones, the fireworks, the flags, most of the songs - impeccable

Whatever you think of the royals, patriotism, Britain, that was a show and a half. Someone deserves a dukedom

Tough weekend to be a republican. You have my sympathies

I see it was watched live by 13m - the most watched event of the year. And there will be millions more like me who watched it on catch-up, at home and abroad
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,743
    Leon said:

Outstanding. Simply outstanding showmanship. At times it edged uneasily towards a Britannic Nuremberg Rally on speed - it was that well done. The lights, the drones, the fireworks, the flags, most of the songs - impeccable

Padds did get a bit over excited at one point though. Probably not the only one.

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited June 2022
    The thing is, people are cautious and they can often not believe something is possible until it happens, at which point of course it was inevitable (I'm guilty of this myself).

Boris was a winner in 2019, in the Red Wall, and until they are forced by electoral circumstances to see that he may not be quite the asset there he used to be, it's understandable that MPs don't take on board the point in the header that No 10s threats are not as potent as they may think.

We've seen it on here - 'Who but Boris could win in the Red Wall?', and since no one else has had the chance, it is argued no one else could. But even if that was true, would they go backwards as much as Boris might, on these figures?

Leadership sometimes means taking a chance - they should follow Boris's example there, he did not sit back and not challenge a leader he felt was a problem.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    Boris is toast.

Out of interest, does Brady announce how many letters he has received or just say "enough have been received to trigger a VONC"?

If he were to say he has received 87 letter, that would be in the "not much point in even contesting it" range....
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

Outstanding. Simply outstanding showmanship. At times it edged uneasily towards a Britannic Nuremberg Rally on speed - it was that well done. The lights, the drones, the fireworks, the flags, most of the songs - impeccable

Will somebody think of poor wee Owen Jones, currently live with a clickbait stream "abolish the monarchy"....730 viewers.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957

Leon said:

Will somebody think of poor wee Owen Jones, currently live with a clickbait stream "abolish the monarchy"....730 viewers.
    No.
  • Leon said:

He may be a "friend of nonces" but he very kindly agreed to pay a substantial sum to a victim of nonces, who accused him of actually being a nonce, out of the goodness of his heart and with no admission of liability whatsoever.

That shows tremendous forgiveness and generosity on his part. Yet the h8ers and boo-boys don't give him credit for it. Honestly, this country.

Leon said:

I get you - you want to be a marquess.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,815
    Im off to cook jubilee roast for the fam. By which i mean just roast, but with added Queeniness.
    See you tonight when the 'Graham Brady is expected to' headlines hit
    Leon said:

Only flicked through it myself, but people seem to have a good time and at the end of the day that's all such events are really about, more than the individual monarch. British people are sullen folk, they need official sanction to have a public good time if it is not a sporting event!
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2022
    Interesting. The first two graphs are obvious. The third which shows wealthier voters have never trusted him is slightly harder to work out. Why did people with money realise he was crooked when those without took a lot longer? Is it the Tory deferential vote rearing its head again? He's an Old Etonian so he's got to be OK even when all the evidence pointed to the fact that he wasn't?

Leon said:

He may be a "friend of nonces" but he very kindly agreed to pay a substantial sum to a victim of nonces, who accused him of actually being a nonce, out of the goodness of his heart and with no admission of liability whatsoever.

That shows tremendous forgiveness and generosity on his part. Yet the h8ers and boo-boys don't give him credit for it. Honestly, this country.
    As with corporations and fine people everywhere who have faced accusations, it is absurd to read desperately forking out millions as an admission in any way.
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Only flicked through it myself, but people seem to have a good time and at the end of the day that's all such events are really about, more than the individual monarch. British people are sullen folk, they need official sanction to have a public good time if it is not a sporting event!
    QE2 is no ordinary monarch. AND BRITAIN IS NO ORDINARY COUNTRY

HUZZAH!!!
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I see it was watched live by 13m - the most watched event of the year. And there will be millions more like me who watched it on catch-up, at home and abroad
    Indeed so. What an awesome production, especially loved it after dark with the projection mapping onto Buckingham Palace and the drone show.

These images are worldwide news today. https://youtube.com/watch?v=gHhFfsWkaMw

Oh, and Paddington Bear, that was utterly inspired.
    Roger said:

Interesting. The first two graphs are obvious. The third which shows wealthier voters have never trusted him is slightly harder to work out. Why did people with money realise he was crooked when those without took a lot longer? Is it the Tory deferential vote rearing its head again? He's an Old Etonian so he's got to be OK even when all the evidence pointed to the fact that he wasn't?

Perhaps a 'they're all at it, so he's no worse than anyone else' thing?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001

Boris is toast.

Out of interest, does Brady announce how many letters he has received or just say "enough have been received to trigger a VONC"?

If he were to say he has received 87 letter, that would be in the "not much point in even contesting it" range....

I am not sure but if a vonc is called tomorrow I expect Boris to lose
    Notably, every Cabinet Member declared support for May at her confidence cote according to wiki. Two faced gits, given nearly all of them failed to make any effort to sell her Brexit deal.

In addition to the execreble Rees-Mogg calling for her to resign despite winning the vote, apparently Raab did as well, so yet another person who will reverse position if there is a vote which Boris wins.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The cricket was more entertaining.

Anyhoo the country expects the monarchy to be gone.

This polling confirms that as well as showing the monarchy is becoming less popular and less relevant.

https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1531940993871798272?s=21&t=E5aBEkTZ9xhVwdRIuVTyTA

Im off to cook jubilee roast for the fam. By which i mean just roast, but with added Queeniness.
    See you tonight when the 'Graham Brady is expected to' headlines hit

Tomorrow morning
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Was a lot of comment some months ago about the PM's luck. It has run out.
    If Labour and the Lib Dems got to choose one by-election each right now, and for what reasons, these two would be high up the list.
    One of the bits of the Red Wall where they have been showing much progress (they aren't in a load of it. But West Yorkshire, yes).
    And. One in the rural SW. Where the Tories have had a lock since 2015. But didn't always. Far from it.
    Add in the reasons for the triggers and it's a potent mix.
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Indeed so. What an awesome production, especially loved it after dark with the projection mapping onto Buckingham Palace and the drone show.

Projection and sound are easy to get wrong, I was quite impressed with the quality with the bits I saw.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nevertheless, what we are watching is a funeral absent the grief that its subject is actually dead.

The open questions this weekend are the nature of our collective future post-QE2.
    edited June 2022

Leon said:

Leon said:

This polling confirms that as well as showing the monarchy is becoming less popular and less relevant.

https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1531940993871798272?s=21&t=E5aBEkTZ9xhVwdRIuVTyTA
    Oh come on, that's asking about it in 100 years! I'd be much more interested in what people think about 20 or 50 years, since at least then we're trying to extrapolate the views of people who have at least been born.

I'd expect a similar, but less pronounced prediction.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Roger said:

They've met entitled chancers before?

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol!!

Even 18-24 year olds think we should keep the monarchy. Not a single cohort thinks we should get rid of it. And, as you know as well as anyone, people become more conservative as they age. Remember they kept telling us in 2014 in Scotland that the young YESSERS would soon outnumber the old NO-voters, as the crumbling unionists died out

Hasn’t happened. Not gonna happen. We won’t be a republic in the lifetime of anyone on this forum. Beyond that the question is farcically irrelevant it is so imponderable
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,007
    Leon said:

Brilliant.

Except for that lady that butchered what a wonderful world.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited June 2022
    I have a friend with elderly relatives in Tiverton. Retired farmers, local gentry, card-carrying Tories.

He (my friend) has historically got into arguments with them about Brexit, Tories, Boris etc.

He phoned them this week and apparently BORIS IS A LIAR.

Boris is toast.

The Spicer precedent is to announce a sufficient number of letters have been received to trigger a vote of confidence.

I think Brady used similar terminology in 2018.
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Projection and sound are easy to get wrong, I was quite impressed with the quality with the bits I saw.
    Sound-to-light is a nightmare to scale to anything bigger than a nightclub, for the obvious reason. That they could get the projection to sync well, to a pop-dance song with live vocals, with little rehearsal possible on site, was pretty impressive. There’s a lot of systems that needed to all work perfectly at the same time!
  • Boris is toast.

Based on the 2018 May vote, he just says the required number has been reached, not the precise number beyond that.

Worth noting that submitting a letter only means asking for a vote - in theory you could be doing so to confirm your support for the PM. That seems unlikely, but isn't impossible. Remember that surviving a VONC means Johnson cannot face another for a year so there's an argument (not a great one, but not totally stupid) that it's better to have one next week than following the by-elections and standards report - i.e. that it'll get worse for Johnson before it gets better so do it now.

Leon said:

Brilliant.

At first I thought she was totally off-key, but then I concluded she was doing it deliberately, to make the song more poignant, by singing it with loads of blue notes. After all, this was the segment of the show lamenting Climate Change, not the right place for a pure celebration

Once I realised that, I enjoyed it

The worst musical bits were Duran Duran - cheesy and crap songs - and Mica Paris mauling Ain’t No Mountain. The rap about sport was wearying

Queen were brilliant, likewise Elton, the Eurovision dude, Ezra, Alicia Keys, Andrea Bocelli, Diana Ross did a great Chain Reaction, and Rod Stewart got away with having no voice left by leading a classic singalong of Sweet Caroline

But really the star of the show was the man or woman who put it all together. Genius. And the lights on the palace! and the drones!
    I just bloody love the Household cavalry.
    edited June 2022
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Oh come on, that's asking about it in 100 years! I'd be much more interested in what people think about 20 or 50 years, since at least then we're trying to extrapolate the views of people who have at least been born.

I'd expect a similar, but less pronounced prediction.
    I expect the monarchy to be clear winners after this last four days and Ironically it may well be regarded as the event that sealed Boris's fate as nobody could reconcile the service of HMQ to his pitiful self interest and behaviour

It was amusing to see Nicola in the Royal Box beaming and taking selfies of herself
  • The Paddington thing was just lovely. Not a Royal myself at all but very much enjoyed that.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Brilliant.

At first I thought she was totally off-key, but then I concluded she was doing it deliberately, to make the song more poignant, by singing it with loads of blue notes. After all, this was the segment of the show lamenting Climate Change, not the right place for a pure celebration

The worst musical bits were Duran Duran - cheesy and crap songs - and Mica Paris mauling Ain’t No Mountain. The rap about sport was wearying

Queen were brilliant, likewise Elton, the Eurovision dude, Ezra, Alicia Keys, Andrea Bocelli, Diana Ross did a great Chain Reaction, and Rod Stewart got away with having no voice left by leading a classic singalong of Sweet Caroline

But really the star of the show was the man or woman who put it all together. Genius. And the lights on the palace! and the drones!
    Christ, do you have tin ears?

She was awful. I hate to mute it half-way through until she was finished.

Duran Duran weren't brilliant but they got better.

Diana Ross was superb.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    Leon said:

Leon said:

As a Republican I can report I had a great weekend and avoided the whole load of bollox jingoism/pretence that England is great. The chickens are coming home to roost, merde sandwiches all round.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    edited June 2022

Leon said:

Leon said:

Last night's event/party reminded me of the "Good Old Days" TV show from the 1970s, but the 2022 version.

After the sublime Queen and Paddington sketch it all went downhill fast. My son tells me Rock 'n Roll is dead. Well last night was all the proof I needed.

After London Bridge falls, the monarchy is so anachronistic, it withers and dies quickly. I'd prefer President Johnson to King Charles/ George.

Anyway, I'm in Sicily,, anyone want to see a photo of my lunch, or the view from my hotel window? No... I thought not.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,123
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

As a Republican I can report I had a great weekend and avoided the whole load of bollox jingoism/pretence that England is great. The chickens are coming home to roost, merde sandwiches all round.
    It's a curious form of logic, that argues that the UK must remain a monarchy just because HMG can hire some pretty decent sound and lighting techs.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Leon said:

The BBC
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,082
    dixiedean said:

Roger said:

True. Even if you did an unglamorous subject at an unfashionable college, mini-Borises were ten a penny.

So the question any Boris successor (except Hunt) needs a good answer to-

"He fooled you for years, didn't he?"
  • dixiedean said:

Was a lot of comment some months ago about the PM's luck. It has run out.
    If Labour and the Lib Dems got to choose one by-election each right now, and for what reasons, these two would be high up the list.
    One of the bits of the Red Wall where they have been showing much progress (they aren't in a load of it. But West Yorkshire, yes).
    And. One in the rural SW. Where the Tories have had a lock since 2015. But didn't always. Far from it.
    Add in the reasons for the triggers and it's a potent mix.

Very true. Hard to imagine a more challenging pairing - a seat in the Red Wall Labour need to win, and a classic Lib Dem by-election long-shot, that they wouldn't normally win but may well do on an eye-watering swing.

Of course, if the Tories pull off the double (don't be dirty, Neil) the world suddenly looks very different, but it is hard to see how that happens at this stage.
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sound-to-light is a nightmare to scale to anything bigger than a nightclub, for the obvious reason. That they could get the projection to sync well, to a pop-dance song with live vocals, with little rehearsal possible on site, was pretty impressive. There’s a lot of systems that needed to all work perfectly at the same time!
    I kept thinking How did they rehearse this?? Phenomenally impressive. I guess they were able to call upon the assembled theatrical talents of the Entire West End

At one stage when Prince Chas was speaking he said “and of course the light”, and he span his finger, and all of Buck House burst into Goebbels-esque pillars of dazzling light aimed at the sky. Bang on the right moment. Wow

Leon said:

Leon said:

Anyway, I'm in Sicily,, anyone want to see a photo of my lunch, or the view from my hotel window? No... I thought not.
    Go for it!
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,729
    Sandpit said:

The prosaic answer is "click track"

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brilliant.

Diana Ross was superb.
    No, I could hear it was off-key all the way through, but she is a brilliant singer, so I guess she did it deliberately to make it bluesier. Sadder. A threnody for a wonderful world we are losing
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It's a curious form of logic, that argues that the UK must remain a monarchy just because HMG can hire some pretty decent sound and lighting techs.
    yes and parade a bunch of pensioners who could sing about 50 years ago, bet the lips and music were not going at the same time for certain.
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Go for it!
    Yes get the photos up
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It's more than I'd expect of the government, in fairness.
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I kept thinking How did they rehearse this?? Phenomenally impressive. I guess they were able to call upon the assembled theatrical talents of the Entire West End

At one stage when Prince Chas was speaking he said “and of course the light”, and he span his finger, and all of Buck House burst into Goebbels-esque pillars of dazzling light aimed at the sky. Bang on the right moment. Wow
    Well they are Germans so will be good at rallies.
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Go for it!

Me too! I love Sicily
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

yes and parade a bunch of pensioners who could sing about 50 years ago, bet the lips and music were not going at the same time for certain.
    Nicola was soaking it all up in the Royal Box
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brilliant.

Diana Ross was superb.
    No, I could hear it was off-key all the way through, but she is a brilliant singer, so I guess she did it deliberately to make it bluesier. Sadder. A threnody for a wonderful world we are losing
    just crap at miming

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

There's something deliciously glorious and imperial about this, isn't it?

A pageant like this could have been held at almost any time in the last 200 years, and with more or less exactly the same uniforms and marching order.

It must really hurt to see the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards participate so handsomely.
    Oh Dear , competition to see who can be the biggest jingo bells between you and Leon. You need to get a life.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Ps the only person who didn’t come out the weekend a winner was Boris. So, so sad.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,910

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A pageant like this could have been held at almost any time in the last 200 years, and with more or less exactly the same uniforms and marching order.

It must really hurt to see the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards participate so handsomely.
    Positively North Korean, what with the hereditary leadership and everything :lol:
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Oh Dear , competition to see who can be the biggest jingo bells between you and Leon. You need to get a life.
    The Coldstream guards also say hi

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

and your point is caller, she is a unionist what do you expect. Freeloaders love these things and all the expenses they can claim. Who gives a fuck what Sturgeon soaks up as she licks the unionists butts.
  • dixiedean said:

Roger said:

True. Even if you did an unglamorous subject at an unfashionable college, mini-Borises were ten a penny.

So the question any Boris successor (except Hunt) needs a good answer to-

"He fooled you for years, didn't he?"
    I don't think that's an especially tricky question. A Tory successor isn't going to want to bang on about Johnson, but nor do they need to repudiate his entire leadership and everything about it (& indeed MPs and members don't want them to).

They can do some platitudes about his legacy of delivering Brexit and the vaccince programme (and they are personally proud to have been a driving force in the Government that did that). But he had flaws and lost the confidence of the public and MPs, so a line has been drawn and we move on towards the sunlit uplands with my exciting agenda of a fizzier Britain with jollier policemen and cleaner nurses (or whatever their "thing" is).

Ex-PMs do crop up now and then - Blair saying something a bit interesting or controversial can still be news today, for example. But the news agenda moves on pretty quickly.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited June 2022
    It’s possible that when historians come to write the history of these times, the Platty Joobs will be seen as the final collapse of the Boris project.

It just makes Boris look so mendacious, mean-spirited, and divisive.

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But this is really all about the ending of an era, never to be recovered. Surely even you can see that?
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

OK, take the royals out of last night. The palace, the incredible history of the crown, the princes and princesses, all of it. Because it would all have to go, in a republic

What would replace it? Forced mass interpretive mime in the centre of Swindon, to celebrate the fucking NHS? A day off to give thanks for PAYE?

To make it even remotely impressive, you’d have to inject some pomp and ceremony, presumably some military swaggering (see Bastille Day, or May Day in Russia), plus a lot of patriotism, and then you end up with something very close to a monarchical celebration, only absent the humanising magic that actual royals provide

Pointless
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Afternoon all :)

Didn't bother with the "Jubilee Party" but the meeting of two icons (three if you include the marmalade sandwich) was sublime.

Yet, just a sense of it being the last show.

Down the road, we'll have the funeral, the coronation of George VII and the investiture of William as Prince of Wales - will any of those convey the joy and patriotism of this weekend? Perhaps, perhaps not.

It's unlikely Charles (as George VII) will make his Silver Jubilee so we'll be waiting on William who will probably get to the throne in his late 50s or early 60s. The circumstances of a Monarch ascending the throne in their 20s look unlikely to be repeated for some time baring accident. Our next three Kings will probably be older men when they ascend.
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

and your point is caller, she is a unionist what do you expect. Freeloaders love these things and all the expenses they can claim. Who gives a fuck what Sturgeon soaks up as she licks the unionists butts.
    Good to see the SNP supporting the union and the monarchy Malc
    IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But this is really all about the ending of an era, never to be recovered. Surely even you can see that?
    He is far too thick to see that
    Feel slightly sorry for the lady who's nodded off behind and to the left of Charles.
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But competition to be the biggest anti-jingo bells is...different?

I'd say Sunil wins with his North Korea comparison, but he's clearly having fun with it.
    Jonathan said:

Ps the only person who didn’t come out the weekend a winner was Boris. So, so sad.

He came out the biggest loser as it sealed his fate
    IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No. The era of The Queen may be coming to an end, but the monarchy and commonwealth will continue and go from strength to strength.
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

OK, take the royals out of last night. The palace, the incredible history of the crown, the princes and princesses, all of it. Because it would all have to go, in a republic

What would replace it? Forced mass interpretive mime in the centre of Swindon, to celebrate the fucking NHS? A day off to give thanks for PAYE?

To make it even remotely impressive, you’d have to inject some pomp and ceremony, presumably some military swaggering (see Bastille Day, or May Day in Russia), plus a lot of patriotism, and then you end up with something very close to a monarchical celebration, only absent the humanising magic that actual royals provide

Pointless
    you really are deluded, take a few inbreds out and have the same show , please explain the difference.
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s lots and lots of planning.

The projection mapping technique has been around for a few years now, but each iteration of it gets better and better. They probably had the whole stage set up at Pinewood weeks ago, with a projection mapped Palace on a big green screen or white wall. They probably even sneaked Charles in for an hour or two, to practice the cadence of his speech and let the lighting team set up their cues and scenes.

The most difficult bit, as alluded to above, is to get the sound and lights in sync, as with the Sigala track. The track was a backing track with only the vocals live, so they can play out both sound and light from the same system, and work out the delay between the two systems in advance, needing to get the sound feed in sync with the cameras recording the projector output.

This all scales exponentially when you try and do it for a live audience, who also need to see lights and hear sounds at the same time, over a distance of couple of hundred yards!
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well they are Germans so will be good at rallies.
    Now you're getting into the spirit of it!
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,729

It’s possible that when historians come to write the history of these times, the Platty Joobs will be seen as the final collapse of the Boris project.

It just makes Boris look so mendacious, mean-spirited, and divisive.

Ironic that someone who came to power on the back of "patriotic flag waving" (sic) rhetoric should come to grief when confronted with the real thing.

IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No. The era of The Queen may be coming to an end, but the monarchy and commonwealth will continue and go from strength to strength.
    Watch this space.
    edited June 2022
    stodge said:

Didn't bother with the "Jubilee Party" but the meeting of two icons (three if you include the marmalade sandwich) was sublime.

Down the road, we'll have the funeral, the coronation of George VII and the investiture of William as Prince of Wales - will any of those convey the joy and patriotism of this weekend? Perhaps, perhaps not.

It's unlikely Charles (as George VII) will make his Silver Jubilee so we'll be waiting on William who will probably get to the throne in his late 50s or early 60s. The circumstances of a Monarch ascending the throne in their 20s look unlikely to be repeated for some time baring accident. Our next three Kings will probably be older men when they ascend.

Dunno. i reckon they realise this, and William is going to be thrust forward much more. See last night

The Firm is nothing if not ruthless at preserving itself (for the good of the nation). “Prince Andrew has Covid”, yeah, right. He’s being kept in a lead lined vault with no means of escape. Quite sensibly
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,910
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But competition to be the biggest anti-jingo bells is...different?

I'd say Sunil wins with his North Korea comparison, but he's clearly having fun with it.
    MONARCHY = SOCIALISM!

:lol::lol::lol:

IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

deluded halfwitted nutjob
    IanB2 said:

Very nice! Are you there right now

I’m going to guess… Austria?
    Jonathan said:

Good work by the BBC this weekend, they know how to put on a show.

The Jubilee isn’t bad for republicans, on the contrary one of the subtle genius aspects of all this is that enabled a whole spectrum of people to have their say. Republicans have fun, taking the mic out of the sillier bits. Monarchists lap it up. Everyone is a winner.

Indeed so.

I always liked in one of the Discworld books descriptions of a Lord Mayor's show and it being a chance for people to jeer at their social superiors. Monarchical pagentry is a bit silly. It works, but it can be a bit silly. People can enjoy the slightly silly bits, or mock it, but that's still nice and fun, and the serious arguments can go on some other time. It's why the angry, bitter stuff doesn't play so well on events like this, since people just wanted to have a good time, participating or mocking, and the overly serious stuff has its place outside it.
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

No, and no. Just back, and Italy.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853

The Paddington thing was just lovely. Not a Royal myself at all but very much enjoyed that.

Are we absolutely 100% sure that it wasn't a deepfake (no, obviously Paddington was real, I mean the Queen)?

A trial to see if Chas can be kept off the throne indefinitely by an avatar.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,152
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Pointless
    you really are deluded, take a few inbreds out and have the same show , please explain the difference.
    Malc hope you are watching the nice Pageant on your big screen!

It's really good!
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

As the famous joke goes, when asked about infidelity a society woman once responded: I was only unfaithful twice. Once with the Earl of XXX and once with the Household Cavalry Regiment.
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Pointless
    I wouldn't worry.

It's not going to happen.
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Dunno. i reckon they realise this, and William is going to be thrust forward much more. See last night

The Firm is nothing if not ruthless at preserving itself (for the good of the nation). “Prince Andrew has Covid”, yeah, right. He’s being kept in a lead lined vault with no means of escape. Quite sensibly
    See also Camilla with Charles when he made his big speech. 'Get used to it already' was the message there, we've had time to get used to the idea of her as Queen.
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

No, and no.
    So you’re just showing us a random photo of a dog you took at some time in the past. Er, OK
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    MattW said:

I think this polling is perhaps the most convincing I have seen.

There's nowhere left to run, even for a self-delusionist.

On the one hand, yes.

On the other hand, the Tory Party are a load of wobbly jellies. You wouldn't want to bet the farm on a successful regicide.
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

No, and no.
    So you’re just showing us a random photo of a dog you took at some time in the past. Er, OK
    It just seemed the right thing to do.

Although I did edit my response above.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited June 2022
    Weird feeling that as a 40 something this is possibly the last Jubilee I can expect to see.
    edited June 2022
    TOPPING said:

As the famous joke goes, when asked about infidelity a society woman once responded: I was only unfaithful twice. Once with the Earl of XXX and once with the Household Cavalry Regiment.
    Memorably done in Porridge, though there it was the milkman and the Household Cavalry.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    Shouldn't you lot be watching the Pageant?
This discussion has been closed.