Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The polling that should scare Tory MPs – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,711
    Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    The Queen now appears on the balcony in a green dress
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

nd Mussolini gave a speech from that concrete podium in front of it?

In general feel it reminds me of the Forest Recreation Ground in Nottingham (Goose Fair site), which is a flat very large grass/sports area at the bottom of a hill.

You google it with Reverse Image Search.

I did so I'll keep quiet.
    +++++++

How does Reverse Image Search work? Do you type in keywords? Or paste in the photo? Genuinely curious, Sounds useful (but ruinous for fun quizzes like this)
    Paste in the photo (as a file) or, if it is online, give the URL.
    If you're using Chrome, just right click and search with Google Lens. Easy peasy.

Now someone post a picture that cannot be Lensed but is recognisably one specific location, that's the challenge!
    Indoors, so possibly cheating - but it's a very unique spot...

The RC seminary at Cardenden. Instantly recogniseable by the mince and tatties-powered processor in my brain.

++++

And the girl?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

That was the passing of an era, surely?

Wait and see the scale of the events when that eventuality occurs. This is the local town fête by comparison.

The passing of the Monarch will be totally unprecedented to 95% of the population.
    The local fete is MUCH bigger than any jubilee these days, at least here.

THough in Edinburgh there is some sort of party going in in Princes Street Gardens, and, just to keep Leon happy, also a Rally for a Scottish Republic up on Calton Hill.
    I'd vote for independence if they were offering a republic.
    Thankfully not even the SNP are offering that and as far left as you
    "Far left" :lol:
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,835
    Eight people on the balcony. A sign of the “Slimmed-down Monarchy” to come?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Wait and see the scale of the events when that eventuality occurs. This is the local town fête by comparison.

The passing of the Monarch will be totally unprecedented to 95% of the population.

THough in Edinburgh there is some sort of party going in in Princes Street Gardens, and, just to keep Leon happy, also a Rally for a Scottish Republic up on Calton Hill.
    Monarchy will be gone within 3 years of scindy
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    BREAKING: COMMANDER OF THE RUSSIAN 5TH ARMY GENERAL ROMAN KUTUZOV HAS DIED IN BATTLE OF DONBASS

https://twitter.com/UkrWarReport/status/1533473637981896705?cxt=HHwWgoCyhcWJ_8cqAAAA
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yep. And the fact most don't see it only makes it more poignant to those who do.
    This "end of an era" circle jerk has now lasted even longer than that bloody parade.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Saklikent
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,377
    edited June 2022
    Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

In general feel it reminds me of the Forest Recreation Ground in Nottingham (Goose Fair site), which is a flat very large grass/sports area at the bottom of a hill.

+++++++

How does Reverse Image Search work? Do you type in keywords? Or paste in the photo? Genuinely curious, Sounds useful (but ruinous for fun quizzes like this)
    If you're using Chrome, just right click and search with Google Lens. Easy peasy.

Now someone post a picture that cannot be Lensed but is recognisably one specific location, that's the challenge!

The RC seminary at Cardenden. Instantly recogniseable by the mince and tatties-powered processor in my brain.

What's up with the blockquotes?

Yes - recognise that. I think from an Abandoned Engineering programme on one of the minor TV channels.

My other immediate thought was the desert hotel used to film in Quantum of Solace.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

There won't be Scottish Indy anyway though even if there was Australia, Canada, New Zealand etc are independent but still with the Queen as Head of State
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,135
    Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

It wasn't where I thought it was. But I have learned a thing.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2022
    I've just returned from my one and only "Platty Joobs" event - a large party in a communal garden serving some of the city's more prosperous residents. It was a very jolly event, with a jazz band, and I enjoyed it. However, there were some downsides:

1. Rubbish weather.
    2. The bar ran out of alcohol - ffs.
    3. Morris Dancers (what's that all about?).
    4. A well-to-do elderly gentleman with a union flag bow tie approached my wife and asked her "are you a fashion designer"? She has now eloped with him.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Farooq said:

Is it Putin's bunker after a visit from Ukrainian special forces?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,905
    edited June 2022
    MattW said:

ohnotnow said:

What's up with the blockquotes?

Yes - recognise that. I think from an Abandoned Engineering programme on one of the minor TV channels.

My other immediate thought was the desert hotel used to film in Quantum of Solace.
    And there's me thinking I might be the only person who'd know it. Why, if it wasn't for you pesky kids...

(and yes, blockquotes are behaving quite 'interestingly')
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,580
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

+++++++

++++

And the girl?

No, unless she is the actor from Trainspotting - Kelly Macdonald.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,835

BREAKING: COMMANDER OF THE RUSSIAN 5TH ARMY GENERAL ROMAN KUTUZOV HAS DIED IN BATTLE OF DONBASS

https://twitter.com/UkrWarReport/status/1533473637981896705?cxt=HHwWgoCyhcWJ_8cqAAAA

Oh no, what a shame.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,846
    NEW with @GeorgeWParker: Boris Johnson's allies are preparing to defend him in a potential confidence vote this week

One close ministerial ally conceded letters threshold may be hit: "I’m confident it’s not 67. But whether it’s over 54 is another matter"

https://www.ft.com/content/c7480de9-323a-410b-889b-dd24bbee593d
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    mwadams said:

kinabalu said:

Although as a general rule I like spectacle and fun I'm not a fan of pageants. There's something about them that doesn't sit right with me.

They are unbelievably.tedious, is probably why.

There's something.psychologically damaging about an unending traffic jam of people on the back of trucks for whom it ceased to be fun 5 miles ago.
    Yes, I find I can't watch for more than a couple of minutes. The worst one is probably that "New Year Parade" in London. Often takes place in a cold driving rain.
  • Options

I've just returned from my one and only "Platty Joobs" event - a large party in a communal garden serving some of the city's more prosperous residents. It was a very jolly event, with a jazz band, and I enjoyed it. However, there were some downsides:

Been nice knowing you. Enjoy the journey into the heart of the Sun....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Queen now appears on the balcony in a green dress

It's unusual, to say the least, for a balcony to wear a green dress.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    Sandpit said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

The real test will be how much the Government is, or is not, willing to shell out for the next Coronation.
    They will. Think how much money the events of this weekend have generated for the economy - especially for a number of industries that have really suffered during the pandemic, and almost all attracting VAT.

Throwing a few million at the formal celebration is a no-brainer for the Chancellor.
    Think you mean for London, we just get to pay for it all.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Saklikent
    Nope
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

I really, really don't think so
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Oh no, what a shame.
    Really buggered his Platty Joob party.....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Saklikent
    Nope
    I Lensed it after my guess so I think I know it now. So I'll stay schtum.
  • Options
    One leading Johnson critic says it's 55% chance of a vote this week: "He is on the skids"

Another influential Tory MP: “I think Brady will announce tomorrow and if he doesn’t, others will put letters in. It’s past the point of no return."

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,377
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Oh ffs. We're just a bawhair away from a cryogenically preserved head in a glass case.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1533444953849974785?s=20&t=SZS6uNHOdyHzYM0bvlKtlg

Yes, I have to admit when I heard of this particular plan I did think it had crossed the tackiness boundary.
    I agree. Should the Monarchy be aping ABBA? - surely not.
    The monarchy wishes it was as wealthy as ABBA.
    You may be discounting the Swedish tax system.
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

There won't be Scottish Indy anyway though even if there was Australia, Canada, New Zealand etc are independent but still with the Queen as Head of State
    It's behind you
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Scott_xP said:

One leading Johnson critic says it's 55% chance of a vote this week: "He is on the skids"

Another influential Tory MP: “I think Brady will announce tomorrow and if he doesn’t, others will put letters in. It’s past the point of no return."

I also think Boris wins it 55% to 45% if there is a vote this week and is then safe for a year
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Farooq said:

Oops, I missed this earlier. Would never have got it. Very nice, though, exactly the kind of thing I had in mind when I asked.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Saklikent
    Nope
    Obviously somewhere hot and sweaty with a Med-type climate, but the water body obviously fluctuates in depth - tidal or a reservoir or river with winter vs summer? There's a fair current, too. Not obviously volcanic (tho could be tuff beds) so not clear if a crater. Colorado River or Galapagos, Isla Fernando?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,905
    Leon said:

And the girl?

Model friend who used to indulge my stupid/dangerous ideas for photo locations. Now retired I'm afraid.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I also think Boris wins it 55% to 45% if there is a vote this week and is then safe for a year
    Safe for a year is urban myth
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

we can but hope though
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

That's what TMay probably thought, of course. If the party fails to get rid of him at the first attempt, and then later becomes desperate to do so, it can always vote to change the rules.

Although I still doubt that enough of the wobbly jellies will go for a first vote to begin with.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Betcha
  • Options
    pigeon said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Does anyone really think we’ll see the likes of this again?

I'm not seeing it now because of the tennis. Rubbish match as it turns out.
    Yes... I would've watched the Nadal procession but I'm currently enduring the purgatory of an elderly mother-in-law visit, so sitting through the Royal procession instead.

Sounds like the Royal procession was more entertaining though, sadly.

We have now moved on from Clare Balding and some other people fawning over HM to Kirsty Young and some other people fawning over HM. We are presently learning how Britain is the best country in the world because the Queen's wardrobe contains clothes in a variety of jaunty colours.
    Very skeptical on this "foot injury".
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    kinabalu said:

mwadams said:

kinabalu said:

Although as a general rule I like spectacle and fun I'm not a fan of pageants. There's something about them that doesn't sit right with me.

There's something.psychologically damaging about an unending traffic jam of people on the back of trucks for whom it ceased to be fun 5 miles ago.
    Yes, I find I can't watch for more than a couple of minutes. The worst one is probably that "New Year Parade" in London. Often takes place in a cold driving rain.
    They’re all boring, unless they are actually dangerous, then they’re fun

Jouvert which opens Trinidad carnival is intense. Starts at 2am and all the black people paint white bones on their bodies, and it goes from there

i can also personally recommend some of the Japanese festivals, if they take place at night they will be animating

While not a parade the Running of the Tar Barrels in Ottery St Mary in Devon is a hoot, it feels extremely dangerous, amazing it hasn’t been banned.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,918
    Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Camden Lock?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

That's what TMay probably thought, of course. If the party fails to get rid of him at the first attempt, and then later becomes desperate to do so, it can always vote to change the rules.

Although I still doubt that enough of the wobbly jellies will go for a first vote to begin with.
    May only went because of huge losses in the May 2019 local elections when the Tories got just 28% NEV and lost over 1000 council seats.

Those seats are next up next year and the Tories could even make gains as they did so poorly last time
  • Options

Left over from War and Peace
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Betcha
    I'm certain that a section of the pro-indy movement would want that, and a section of those would want to move on it immediately. But they wouldn't get their way. The numbers aren't there.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Camden Lock?
    Must be all the HS2 excavations.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 824
    OT: (I value reading the comments on PB because most of you are of a different political hue than me. I'm interested in debating what I write below, particularly if you disagree with it. If you're not interested and frustrated that it's off-topic and non-betting-related, apologies.)

I've just finished Natasha Brown's excellent short novel Assembly - thoroughly recommended.

My reading of Brown's novel is that it is about the near impossibility of forming (assembling) a coherent identity as a young black woman. To my mind it is very persuasive - the book is very short but laced with examples where the protagonist has to self-censor her thoughts and views in order to assimilate into a culture that has been largely created by white men and that resists discussing a significant historical aspect of its creation (imperialism).

I recognise that the process of assimilation into a shared culture requires everyone to self-censor somewhat, but I am persuaded by the argument that, at the intersection of specific groups (women and black people, for example) the need for self-censorship is particularly acute, and therefore damaging to one's social- and self-identity.

I'm really interested in the responses of those of you who would describe this thinking as woke and so dismiss it. Putting aside the disingenuous elements of the usage of woke (i.e. encouraging a culture war), for those of you who write on here about wokeness as an ideology, what is it that you disagree with in the above? And what reaction do you think individuals, society and government in UK (and elsewhere) should have to such strong feelings of alienation and self-censorship amongst a a significant proportion of that society's members?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,140

Sandpit said:

Oh no, what a shame.
    Really buggered his Platty Joob party.....
    OMG. Is he related to the legendary military commander Prince Kutuzov (who appears in War and Peace)?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Saklikent
    Nope
    Obviously somewhere hot and sweaty with a Med-type climate, but the water body obviously fluctuates in depth - tidal or a reservoir or river with winter vs summer? There's a fair current, too. Not obviously volcanic (tho could be tuff beds) so not clear if a crater. Colorado River or Galapagos, Isla Fernando?
    Way off, I’m afraid. Without Lensing it is quite a tough one, not a well known place, however majestic the scenery

Clue: the rocks are really really old. When I was there an expert told me the rocks are so old that they were formed when the sky was still pitch black, not blue. An idea which still makes my head spin, in a pleasurable way
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Saklikent
    Nope
    Way off, I’m afraid. Without Lensing it is quite a tough one, not a well known place, however majestic the scenery

Clue: the rocks are really really old. When I was there an expert told me the rocks are so old that they were formed when the sky was still pitch black, not blue. An idea which still makes my head spin, in a pleasurable way
    So they formed at night?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes... I would've watched the Nadal procession but I'm currently enduring the purgatory of an elderly mother-in-law visit, so sitting through the Royal procession instead.

We have now moved on from Clare Balding and some other people fawning over HM to Kirsty Young and some other people fawning over HM. We are presently learning how Britain is the best country in the world because the Queen's wardrobe contains clothes in a variety of jaunty colours.
    This is reported to be a chronic problem and we know he's injury prone in any event. I see no particular reason to doubt it.

I wonder if he'll now turn up and have a go at Wimbledon this year? He's completed the first two legs of the calendar grand slam, after all...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Camden Lock?
    Yes, that's Primrose Hill in the distance.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

mwadams said:

kinabalu said:

They’re all boring, unless they are actually dangerous, then they’re fun

Jouvert which opens Trinidad carnival is intense. Starts at 2am and all the black people paint white bones on their bodies, and it goes from there

i can also personally recommend some of the Japanese festivals, if they take place at night they will be intense

While not a parade the Running of the Tar Barrels in Ottery St Mary in Devon is a hoot, it feels extremely dangerous, amazing it hasn’t been banned.
    There's that Spanish one where a wild bull rages through a village and the local men run away from it. I guess that has its moments.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Saklikent
    Nope

So they formed at night?
    Hah, no

Apparently earth’s sky used to be permanently black. Or so this guy said. And he was the ship’s expert (another clue)

Thinking about it now, does that make sense? Was the Sun just a massively bright star surrounded by darkness? WTF?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Been busy here in Tbilisi so I only just caught up with the Platinum Party at the Palace

Outstanding. Simply outstanding showmanship. At times it edged uneasily towards a Britannic Nuremberg Rally on speed - it was that well done. The lights, the drones, the fireworks, the flags, most of the songs - impeccable

And the Paddington thing was inspired

Whatever you think of the royals, patriotism, Britain, that was a show and a half. Someone deserves a dukedom

Brilliant.

Except for that lady that butchered what a wonderful world.
    At first I thought she was totally off-key, but then I concluded she was doing it deliberately, to make the song more poignant, by singing it with loads of blue notes. After all, this was the segment of the show lamenting Climate Change, not the right place for a pure celebration

Once I realised that, I enjoyed it

The worst musical bits were Duran Duran - cheesy and crap songs - and Mica Paris mauling Ain’t No Mountain. The rap about sport was wearying

Queen were brilliant, likewise Elton, the Eurovision dude, Ezra, Alicia Keys, Andrea Bocelli, Diana Ross did a great Chain Reaction, and Rod Stewart got away with having no voice left by leading a classic singalong of Sweet Caroline

But really the star of the show was the man or woman who put it all together. Genius. And the lights on the palace! and the drones!
    There was a climate change section? Ugh, do fuck off (not you personally of course).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491

1. Rubbish weather.
    4. A well-to-do elderly gentleman with a union flag bow tie approached my wife and asked her "are you a fashion designer"? She has now eloped with him.

Was he in desperate need of fashion advice?

Good chat up line though!
  • Options
    OK I’ve just learned that the fucking sky was fucking ORANGE before it was blue

Fucking hell
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,347
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

If that is the score...

Isn't that just about the worst possible result all round?

A Big Dog wounded but determined to continue (he would, wouldn't he?) but with everyone knowing that about half his party don't have confidence in him. Authority ripped to shreds. And a party that, when it came to it, decided that overall they were fine with his antics.

He'd get a few months more pension contributions, but that would be all, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Saklikent
    Nope

So they formed at night?
    Hah, no

Apparently earth’s sky used to be permanently black. Or so this guy said. And he was the ship’s expert (another clue)

Thinking about it now, does that make sense? Was the Sun just a massively bright star surrounded by darkness? WTF?
    If the earth has little to no atmosphere, that would make sense. I'm not sure about that though. In the time of earliest rock formation, I'd have thought there would be more gas around because of volcanic degassing. But IANAE.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Photo quiz 2
    No Google lensing!

C'mon that could be anywhere!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    maxh said:

OT: (I value reading the comments on PB because most of you are of a different political hue than me. I'm interested in debating what I write below, particularly if you disagree with it. If you're not interested and frustrated that it's off-topic and non-betting-related, apologies.)

I've just finished Natasha Brown's excellent short novel Assembly - thoroughly recommended.

My reading of Brown's novel is that it is about the near impossibility of forming (assembling) a coherent identity as a young black woman. To my mind it is very persuasive - the book is very short but laced with examples where the protagonist has to self-censor her thoughts and views in order to assimilate into a culture that has been largely created by white men and that resists discussing a significant historical aspect of its creation (imperialism).

I recognise that the process of assimilation into a shared culture requires everyone to self-censor somewhat, but I am persuaded by the argument that, at the intersection of specific groups (women and black people, for example) the need for self-censorship is particularly acute, and therefore damaging to one's social- and self-identity.

I'm really interested in the responses of those of you who would describe this thinking as woke and so dismiss it. Putting aside the disingenuous elements of the usage of woke (i.e. encouraging a culture war), for those of you who write on here about wokeness as an ideology, what is it that you disagree with in the above? And what reaction do you think individuals, society and government in UK (and elsewhere) should have to such strong feelings of alienation and self-censorship amongst a a significant proportion of that society's members?

Sounds interesting. My weekend reading is Jacob Dunne's "Right and Wrong" a very thoughtful autobiography of a young man going straight after life on the fringes of the Nottingham gangs. Far more upbeat than it sounds.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

You think Boris will continue on if he wins by a margin of 10%? Come on. We know how easy it is to change the 1 year rule as well. No way he survives in those circumstances
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817
    HYUFD said:

May only went because of huge losses in the May 2019 local elections when the Tories got just 28% NEV and lost over 1000 council seats.

Those seats are next up next year and the Tories could even make gains as they did so poorly last time

Expectation management 11 months in advance...

I think May went because of the existential threat Farage and TBP represented to the Conservative Party. Choosing Johnson as Party leader ended that threat - had any other candidate been chosen (or Johnson refused to stand for whatever reason), it's entirely possible we'd have seen a serious split of Conservatives to Farage.

As for next year, yes, 2019 was awful so any recovery can be marked as progress but what if further seats are lost and the losses of 2019 not regained? That would suggest, would it not, the likelihood of a Conservative majority at the next election to be receding?
  • Options
    Adam Payne
    @adampayne26
    ·
    38m
    Tory MPs who want Johnson out have this weekend been circulating a briefing document setting out why. It warns the party is on course to lose the next election & concludes “the only way to end this misery, earn a hearing from the British public… is to remove Boris Johnson as PM”

https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1533476836860170250

===

Labour must so want him to stay in office, looking at that list.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2
    No Google lensing!

Certainly isn't Wigan. So not quite anywhere.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2
    No Google lensing!

Certainly isn't Wigan. So not quite anywhere.
    That wall looks a bit red though?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Foxy said:

1. Rubbish weather.

Was he in desperate need of fashion advice?

Good chat up line though!
    No, he's normally rather elegant - sans the bow tie. He claimed he spotted her frequently and admired her sense of design. I asked him if he also admired my concomitant poverty.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Saklikent
    Nope

So they formed at night?
    Hah, no

Beagle channel or whatever it's called?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    At least Nicholas 'Bloody Awful Man' Witchell was nowhere in sight today. His 'wry' observations rather get on my wick.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

You think Boris will continue on if he wins by a margin of 10%? Come on. We know how easy it is to change the 1 year rule as well. No way he survives in those circumstances
    He will survive, as I have already said next year's local elections, which would be the last chance to get rid of him before the next general election if he survives a VONC this month, will likely see Tory gains because they did so poorly last time the seats were up
  • Options

At least Nicholas 'Bloody Awful Man' Witchell was nowhere in sight today. His 'wry' observations rather get on my wick.

He is on the BBC news now
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Wales 1-0 Ukraine

Bale
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    Sir Keir looked a bit lugubrious from what I saw. Wonder if he's received intelligence that Boris is for the chop.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,248
    Wales proving once again they are the most hated (sporting) nation in the world.

On Wednesday Scotland showed why they are the most loved footballing nation in the world.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Saklikent
    Nope

So they formed at night?
    Hah, no

I don’t think anyone is gonna get it without googling. It is hard. It is the Horizontal Falls on the Kimberley Coast, Australia

A truly spectacular part of the world

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

Adam Payne
    @adampayne26
    ·
    38m
    Tory MPs who want Johnson out have this weekend been circulating a briefing document setting out why. It warns the party is on course to lose the next election & concludes “the only way to end this misery, earn a hearing from the British public… is to remove Boris Johnson as PM”

https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1533476836860170250

===

Labour must so want him to stay in office, looking at that list.

It's a list which contains nothing which was inevitable at all.
    All these factors have solidified because they chose not to act. And to lie, dissemble and bullshit the population on an industrial scale to defend one bloke cos they thought he'd keep them their seats.
    And here we are.
    I hope he wins 52-48 and refuses to go. And doubles down on the Canzini inspired crap.
    It's the least they deserve.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

This is reported to be a chronic problem and we know he's injury prone in any event. I see no particular reason to doubt it.

I wonder if he'll now turn up and have a go at Wimbledon this year? He's completed the first two legs of the calendar grand slam, after all...
    Hmm. Ok. Yes, I hope we see him at Wimbo. I'm more a Djokovic fan but it's good to have all the top players there. Zverev must be a doubt though. That looked nasty.
  • Options
    I think Johnson survives. He leads the Tories into the next GE
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Saklikent
    Nope

So they formed at night?
    Hah, no

I don’t think anyone is gonna get it without googling. It is hard. It is the Horizontal Falls on the Kimberley Coast, Australia

A truly spectacular part of the world

Yes, that's what I found Lensing it. I didn't know of it before today, so would never have got it.
    Good puzzle, entirely fair. Obscure enough to be difficult but once you find the place there's little doubt.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

He will survive, as I have already said next year's local elections, which would be the last chance to get rid of him before the next general election if he survives a VONC this month, will likely see Tory gains because they did so poorly last time the seats were up
    I really can’t see the Tory party stewing on things for a limited period of time. If he wins and loses two subsequent by elections, there is no chance he hangs on
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817
    HYUFD said:

If only 55% of the Parliamentary party support him, he is damaged goods, the Conservative Party looks split from stem to stern and will limp on like a wounded animal looking for somewhere to lie down and die.

Margaret Thatcher got 54.8% of the MP votes in 1990 and that wasn't enough - yes, I know the rules were different but even if they hadn't been, I suspect the pressure on her to resign would have been irresistible.

You may well argue Jeremy Corbyn had even less support from his MPs and that's true but remind me how well that worked out for Labour at the least election?
  • Options
    I think the Platty Joobs has been grand overall and I hope Her Maj enjoyed it.

All it needs to cap off a great week is for her to tell BoZo to Fuck Off sorrowfully accept the resignation of the Prime Minister
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,229
    Scott_xP said:
    Ah, I thought you meant Gareth Bale getting an MBE the same weekend he has just scored for Wales against Ukraine.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I really can’t see the Tory party stewing on things for a limited period of time. If he wins and loses two subsequent by elections, there is no chance he hangs on
    There is, the rebels would have blown their chance, they should have waited until after the by elections at the end of the month.

In any case Boris has already survived the loss of Chesham and Amersham and Shropshire North
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,315
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Photo quiz 2

No Google lensing!

Saklikent
    Nope

So they formed at night?
    Hah, no

If the earth has little to no atmosphere, that would make sense. I'm not sure about that though. In the time of earliest rock formation, I'd have thought there would be more gas around because of volcanic degassing. But IANAE.
    Different gases.
    I think it was the comparatively large amounts of methane a couple of billion years or so back that would have rendered it orangeish.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

maxh said:

Sounds interesting. My weekend reading is Jacob Dunne's "Right and Wrong" a very thoughtful autobiography of a young man going straight after life on the fringes of the Nottingham gangs. Far more upbeat than it sounds.
    Makes me think ofr the position of the Irish RCs in Scottish life over the last 150 years. Several writers have explored that side in recent decades - William McIlvanney in Docherty (which is also about working class self-assimilation in part), and IIRC Denise Mina in her detective novels.
  • Options
    Another one for the British exceptionalists.

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=330334
    … If Nuri succeeds in its second launch, Korea will be the seventh country to launch a space rocket with its own technology, following Russia, the United States, France, China, Japan and India, which possess the independent capability of placing an over 1-ton satellite into orbit.…

Of itself not a massive thing, but another indication we’re drifting down the league table of advanced industrial economies.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited June 2022
    Also off topic, does this picture of an Open University graduation hood remind you of anything?

https://churchillgowns.com/collections/open-university-individual-products/products/open-university-bachelors-hood
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

'He will survive, as I have already said next year's local elections, which would be the last chance to get rid of him before the next general election if he survives a VONC this month, will likely see Tory gains because they did so poorly last time the seats were up
    If only 55% of the Parliamentary party support him, he is damaged goods, the Conservative Party looks split from stem to stern and will limp on like a wounded animal looking for somewhere to lie down and die.

Margaret Thatcher got 54.8% of the MP votes in 1990 and that wasn't enough - yes, I know the rules were different but even if they hadn't been, I suspect the pressure on her to resign would have been irresistible.

You may well argue Jeremy Corbyn had even less support from his MPs and that's true but remind me how well that worked out for Labour at the least election?'

Thatcher would have fought on under the current rules, as the 54.8% she got in 1990 would have been enough for her to survive with no second ballot. On current rules Thatcher would likely have led the Conservatives at the 1992 general election, not Major.

Replacing general election majority winning PMs when still in goverment also rarely works out for the party concerned, whether the Tories when they replaced Macmillan with Home in 1963, Labour when it replaced Wilson with Callaghan in 1976, Labour again when they replaced Blair with Brown in the 2007 or the Tories when they replaced Cameron with May in 2016. In each case the governing party either still lost the next general election or in the case of May lost their majority.

Replacing Thatcher with Major in 1992 the only exception in the last 50 years but even then Major still lost 40 seats that Thatcher had won in 1987 even if he won a narrow majority
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

… If Nuri succeeds in its second launch, Korea will be the seventh country to launch a space rocket with its own technology, following Russia, the United States, France, China, Japan and India, which possess the independent capability of placing an over 1-ton satellite into orbit.…

Of itself not a massive thing, but another indication we’re drifting down the league table of advanced industrial economies.

There's is a space port thing happening in Shetland. But I don't think it's moving very quickly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

There is, the rebels would have blown their chance, they should have waited until after the by elections at the end of the month.

In any case Boris has already survived the loss of Chesham and Amersham and Shropshire North
    ..but he’s meant to be an election winner?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Grimsby promoted to the EFL

Beat Solihull Moors 2-1 in extra time.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    Harsh?

A pollster has dubbed [Boris] the 'Conservative Corbyn' because of this[popular policies falling flat].

https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1533476836860170250/photo/1
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Ok I’ll end with a really tough one

No Google Lensing!

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,010
    Scott_xP said:
    FBPE Twitter is getting very excited about an imagined Tory plot to get rid of Johnson and then reverse Brexit.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Nigelb said:

Eh? Black Arrow for the UK in 1971 - but launched from Woomera in Oz [albeit a joint UK/Aus base]; and Prospero, the satellite, was (on checking) 146 kg.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ok I’ll end with a really tough one

The nudists on Thorness Bay on the Isle of Wight?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

They can't have another vote about it for a period of n is a claim to which you are wedded in more than one context. Wrong in both of them, the 1922 can have a portmanteau vote both shortening the period and having a second bite at Phatboi
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Eh? Black Arrow for the UK in 1971 - but launched from Woomera in Oz [albeit a joint UK/Aus base]; and Prospero, the satellite, was (on checking) 146 kg.
    “1 tonne…”

And what happened to Black Arrow ?
This discussion has been closed.