Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer moving back in the next PM betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    HYUFD said:

A question for all you Brits in Britain. How many of you are participating in Platinum Jubilee events? And how many of you are going to avoid them or even go abroad on holiday? I am curious to know!

I've posted something along these lines before. In my neck of the woods - post-industrial West Yorks, the flat eastern bit of the county - there is a noticeable lack of interest in these big national, often Royalty-related, events. No-one seems to give a damn. No street parties, no big events. Nothing.

I do remember ever so slightly having a party at my nursery for Charles and Di's wedding. And I'm told I was conceived after my parents had been at a Silver Jubilee bash in '77. So perhaps it wasn't always thus.

It's not that there's a burning republicanism here, and people certainly have great affection for Lizzy, I think it's just a general sense that all the Royal pageantry stuff, that traditional view of Britain, England, it represents is just so remote from people's lives and experience here.

I imagine that the tiny villages in rural, southern England, the Home Counties and the like, will pay more attention. The world that I think of as a Radio 4 land, where I imagine people play cricket and keep horses and read the Telegraph and work in the city and publishing and are architects and senior civil servants (no doubt a stereotype in itself) just feels a million miles away from how people live in Knottingley, Featherstone, Pontefract and Castleford.

I suspect it'll be more keenly observed in the western, hillier, more rural parts of W. Yorks.

I thought the 75th Anniversary of VE Day would be more celebrated in these parts but that was a damp squib too. But we were just emerging from lockdown 1 and everyone was still very jittery.
    48% of Conservative voters have plans to celebrate the Jubilee (eg street parties, beacon lighting, attending the Buckingham Palace concert etc) but only 28% of Labour voters have plans

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1526944316542881795?s=20&t=s0pg_dLQ3dIU8_DLzMDPmA
    Yes, interest here in Blue Wall territory is modest so far - some flags, an event or two. Many people plan to watch some of it on TV, but mostly people seem to just think it's be nice to have a long weekend off. Lots of goodwill - I know nobody who has a word to say against the Queen - but not much engagement.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

Cyclefree said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Licence to Steal?

The Daily Mail will go all hate-filled about this but what a tragic state this country is descending into.

https://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-living-police-officers-should-use-discretion-over-desperate-shoplifters-says-chief-inspector-12616359

I would gently suggest your posts are hardly conducive to a less confrontational society
    That has absolutely nothing to do with my post
    I would suggest it has a great deal to do with the constant theme of your posts
    Big G lay off. I post left-of-centre and sometimes alternative views. You don't have to agree with them but of course they are going to 'seem' abrasive to someone of a right wing persuasion.

Is this a new even more alarming trend? That the Conservatives are getting so rattled that they now want to clamp down on free speech? On all views contrary to their increasingly Nasty Party? Certainly that would seem to be Priti Patel's wish.
    I don't agree with everything you say but I do think you get unwarranted stick on here. VPNgate, for example. It has more than a whiff of misogyny in my opinion.

I salute your indefatigability!
    To be fair, she also gives out unwarranted stick. I see little behaviour towards her that she does not give out herself.
    About three months ago I realised that the only way for a female to exist on here, in my opinion, is to fight.

I think it's really sad but this is a mostly male and often aggressive bear pit of a place.

You might ask, why do I bother? Well it's because politics really interests me and I like betting on it, and offering betting tips on it.

I wish I could be a lot more gentle, which is what I'm like in real life, but I would be mowed down on here I'm afraid.

No need to reply to this please. It's a point of view. You may not agree with it but it won't change (in this instance) how I feel.
    It really is not necessary to fight to survive on here. I have been here for quite some time and have not felt it necessary to get into personal fights with others. And, frankly, personal disputes are to my mind exceedingly tedious - along with most sport, FI and the culinary uses of pineapple in Italian cuisine. But it is very easy to scroll past these outpourings.
    I think Eleanor Roosevelt summed it up best:

Great Minds Discuss Ideas.
    Average Minds Discuss Events.
    Small Minds Discuss People.
    That kind of person would.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

I think it's really sad but this is a mostly male and often aggressive bear pit of a place."

is more true than is comfortable. We should probably all rein in the testosterone a bit.

It's positively decorous compared to other online communities in which I participate. (Cars, motorbikes, football)

The OM forum is particularly vibrant where sincerely intended death threats are not unknown.
    It is clear that @NickPalmer has not, say, gone on Twitter and talked about trans issues for 40 seconds. Nor has he ventured onto a UK weather forum and vocally hoped for a mild spell of weather during winter

The internet is designed to create loud and bitter rancour over any issue, the same way an Ibizan disco is meant to be loud. I come on here for blissful tranquility and agreeable chat
    Lol, you've been on netweather too?!
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Scott_xP said:

Time to reactivate the Sue Gray Report watch... https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1527224421353771009

They need to fecking well get on with it. Perhaps it can be published about two days after the by-election results. That said, one day before might be useful
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited May 2022
    MET Police announce the end of their investigations into covid breaches in Downing Street and Whitehall under Operation Hillman with 126 FPN referrals

53 men and 73 women received FPN's, some more than one

Now for Sue Grey and betting will Boris survive in office
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
    dixiedean said:

A question for all you Brits in Britain. How many of you are participating in Platinum Jubilee events? And how many of you are going to avoid them or even go abroad on holiday? I am curious to know!

I've posted something along these lines before. In my neck of the woods - post-industrial West Yorks, the flat eastern bit of the county - there is a noticeable lack of interest in these big national, often Royalty-related, events. No-one seems to give a damn. No street parties, no big events. Nothing.

I do remember ever so slightly having a party at my nursery for Charles and Di's wedding. And I'm told I was conceived after my parents had been at a Silver Jubilee bash in '77. So perhaps it wasn't always thus.

It's not that there's a burning republicanism here, and people certainly have great affection for Lizzy, I think it's just a general sense that all the Royal pageantry stuff, that traditional view of Britain, England, it represents is just so remote from people's lives and experience here.

I imagine that the tiny villages in rural, southern England, the Home Counties and the like, will pay more attention. The world that I think of as a Radio 4 land, where I imagine people play cricket and keep horses and read the Telegraph and work in the city and publishing and are architects and senior civil servants (no doubt a stereotype in itself) just feels a million miles away from how people live in Knottingley, Featherstone, Pontefract and Castleford.

I suspect it'll be more keenly observed in the western, hillier, more rural parts of W. Yorks.

I thought the 75th Anniversary of VE Day would be more celebrated in these parts but that was a damp squib too. But we were just emerging from lockdown 1 and everyone was still very jittery.
    Good post. Sums up my feelings. It all seems very far away from here.
    A 25 year old today has only known of the Queen as an old woman. If her parents were 25 when they had her, *they* were maybe just old enough to remember the Silver Jubilee. Her grandparents were probably *born* at the end of the war, and she probably never knew her great grandparents, who fought in the war.

We're now two generations from people who had the everyday language and experience of Empire.

That's at least 10% of the population.

With a further 15% or so being first and second generation migrants from the same period, that's a quarter of the population who don't have any particular immersion in those older visions of Britain

You could call them traditional, but they are a vision that dominated for about 100 years from the mid-to-late-Victorian period of High Empire to the 1960s, I guess. So not *that* long, really.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

I think it's really sad but this is a mostly male and often aggressive bear pit of a place."

is more true than is comfortable. We should probably all rein in the testosterone a bit.

It's positively decorous compared to other online communities in which I participate. (Cars, motorbikes, football)

The OM forum is particularly vibrant where sincerely intended death threats are not unknown.
    It is clear that @NickPalmer has not, say, gone on Twitter and talked about trans issues for 40 seconds. Nor has he ventured onto a UK weather forum and vocally hoped for a mild spell of weather during winter

The internet is designed to create loud and bitter rancour over any issue, the same way an Ibizan disco is meant to be loud. I come on here for blissful tranquility and agreeable chat
    Its a bit weird how many on PB also frequent netweather, but then obsessives gonna obsess...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes! The war between the coldies and the mildies makes Brexit look like a modest and piffling divergence of opinion
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007

HYUFD said:

48% of Conservative voters have plans to celebrate the Jubilee (eg street parties, beacon lighting, attending the Buckingham Palace concert etc) but only 28% of Labour voters have plans

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1526944316542881795?s=20&t=s0pg_dLQ3dIU8_DLzMDPmA
    Yes, interest here in Blue Wall territory is modest so far - some flags, an event or two. Many people plan to watch some of it on TV, but mostly people seem to just think it's be nice to have a long weekend off. Lots of goodwill - I know nobody who has a word to say against the Queen - but not much engagement.
    17 million did watch the 2012 Jubilee concert on TV however, so comparing those ratings will be interesting for the Saturday night concert at the Palace

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/jun/06/queens-diamond-jubilee-tv-ratings
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes! The war between the coldies and the mildies makes Brexit look like a modest and piffling divergence of opinion
    I wonder it that splits 52:48 as well, the new golden ratio?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Time to reactivate the Sue Gray Report watch... https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1527224421353771009

They need to fecking well get on with it. Perhaps it can be published about two days after the by-election results. That said, one day before might be useful
    Next week hopefully
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    Scott_xP said:

13th November elicited fines - wonder if the flat party is involved and wonder if the last tranche includes any further Boris fines that we should hear of today by rights.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

HYUFD said:

We noticed yesterday lots of Union Jacks here and I'm guessing there would have been lots more, but there are also a lot of shops and flag poles with Ukrainian flags up.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,821
    No more FPNs for Johnson which seems surprising given what we know about those events .

• Options

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Its a bit weird how many on PB also frequent netweather, but then obsessives gonna obsess...
    Weirdly, I am *genuinely* interested in weather and climate - probably because it affects my mood so much

(I am a mildie)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I suspect that is a somewhat twisted statistic. The demographic of the average conservative is weighted toward rural areas , particularly rural villages where they are more likely to have such events. There is loads going on in my village. TBH, I am quite surprised it is only 48% of Tories.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

17 million did watch the 2012 Jubilee concert on TV however, so comparing those ratings will be interesting for the Saturday night concert at the Palace

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/jun/06/queens-diamond-jubilee-tv-ratings
    I expect similar viewing numbers for that event
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905
    SUE GRAY HERE WE GO
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    nico679 said:

No more FPNs for Johnson which seems surprising given what we know about those events .

Not sure that’s been confirmed yet..
  • Options

MET Police announce the end of their investigations into covid breaches in Downing Street and Whitehall under Operation Hillman with 126 FPN referrals

Does that mean Boris has only got one or is there one in a final batch. Seems odd as he got one for his least offensive breach.
  • Options
    Just ventured over to netweather.
    It's like PB, but in a foreign language.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

SUE GRAY HERE WE GO

Next week hopefully but if Boris receives just one FPN then that will be a big surprise
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Weirdly, I am *genuinely* interested in weather and climate - probably because it affects my mood so much

(I am a mildie)
    Damn you, cold weather rules in winter!
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

JJ, who is mostly it seems to me a decent person, claimed yesterday that homophobia and racism were far reduced yesterday. He cited examples of footballers and others harassed in the past for being gay and that now the situation is much better.

Well, yesterday's leading trend on twitter in the whole world was the hashtag 'we are all idrissa' in support of 's PSGSenegalese star Idrissa Gueye who refused to wear a shirt carrying the rainbow symbol.

Homosexuality is illegal in Senegal and in Qatar, who own PSG.

Two compatriots of Gueye who play in Britain tweeted in support of him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61492696

I am afraid I see little or nothing in this country at the moment to damp down the culture wars and hatred being, I believe, deliberately now fanned into flame by Boris Johnson's appeal to a certain kind of red wall demographic.

It's godawful.

So your bewailing of homophobia in Britain is based upon the tweeting of two Senegalese footballers ?
    FFS.

This is the kind of stupid response that is, presumably, intended to wind me up.
    Any comment that begins, unironically, “I am a seer” is going to get some pushback because it is flatulently pompous

Unless, of course, you are trying to wind people up…
    Funnily enough, when I saw a post starting with "I am a seer", I assumed it was going to be from you, Leon.
    Quite possibly, but I would have been at least half-joking, if so

Anyway, good morning to all, bots, trolls, misogynist Cryptoids and Surrey based Buddhists alike, from a cool but sunny Meteora. Quite a place

I think I was very mean to you the other day @Leon, for which I apologise. Great pictures.
    Thanks. But no need to apologise. I can’t remember what you said - so it can’t have been that bad?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Scott_xP said:

So Boris's only FPN was for 8 minutes in the Cabinet Office?
  • Options

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

And puns. Don't forget the puns.
    I never get involved in such nonsense.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

JJ, who is mostly it seems to me a decent person, claimed yesterday that homophobia and racism were far reduced yesterday. He cited examples of footballers and others harassed in the past for being gay and that now the situation is much better.

Well, yesterday's leading trend on twitter in the whole world was the hashtag 'we are all idrissa' in support of 's PSGSenegalese star Idrissa Gueye who refused to wear a shirt carrying the rainbow symbol.

Homosexuality is illegal in Senegal and in Qatar, who own PSG.

Two compatriots of Gueye who play in Britain tweeted in support of him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61492696

I am afraid I see little or nothing in this country at the moment to damp down the culture wars and hatred being, I believe, deliberately now fanned into flame by Boris Johnson's appeal to a certain kind of red wall demographic.

It's godawful.

So your bewailing of homophobia in Britain is based upon the tweeting of two Senegalese footballers ?
    FFS.

This is the kind of stupid response that is, presumably, intended to wind me up.
    Any comment that begins, unironically, “I am a seer” is going to get some pushback because it is flatulently pompous

Unless, of course, you are trying to wind people up…
    Funnily enough, when I saw a post starting with "I am a seer", I assumed it was going to be from you, Leon.
    Quite possibly, but I would have been at least half-joking, if so

Anyway, good morning to all, bots, trolls, misogynist Cryptoids and Surrey based Buddhists alike, from a cool but sunny Meteora. Quite a place

Are you anywhere near your 90 day limit within 180 days yet to travel within the EU? Hope you are keeping track. You don't want to be deported and banned from travelling there.
    Seeing as I’ve spent most of the last month in the USA and Turkey, no
    Its a rolling 90 day period so worth keeping tabs.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Eabhal said:

SUE GRAY HERE WE GO

Next week hopefully but if Boris receives just one FPN then that will be a big surprise
    Not least because the one he received seemed really borderline. I was expecting that to be the herald of several more.
  • Options

So does that mean that Boris's only FPN was for having a slice of birthday cake?

That seemed very unlikely. Of all the events reported upon that seemed by far the least serious, so if that's the only one he's been personally fined over, that seems . . . odd.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Downing Street tight lipped. I suspect there's another one issued or theyd be out proclaiming it from the rooftops
  • Options

So does that mean that Boris's only FPN was for having a slice of birthday cake?

That seemed very unlikely. Of all the events reported upon that seemed by far the least serious, so if that's the only one he's been personally fined over, that seems . . . odd.
    Snap
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Eabhal said:

SUE GRAY HERE WE GO

Not least because the one he received seemed really borderline. I was expecting that to be the herald of several more.
    I thought that one was harsh and he’d more likely receive one or more for the other events which seemed on the face of it more serious .
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

So Boris's only FPN was for 8 minutes in the Cabinet Office?
    Not sure that it has been confirmed yet that he has received just one FPN
  • Options

He asked for 750 other cakes to be taken into consideration
    Were those the ones he scoffed himself?
  • Options

Well have you seen the shape of him?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226

Chris Mason
    @ChrisMasonBBC
    ·
    3m
    The Prime Minister has not been notified of any additional Fixed Penalty Notices, I'm told -- but the police statement acknowledges some have not yet been sent out to those who'll receive them
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I suppose the intrigue is that they’ve issued fines for the 13 November 2020 event in no 11.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I would a wait and not assume anything at this stage
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    The Prime Minister has not been notified of any additional Fixed Penalty Notices, I'm told -- but the police statement acknowledges some have not yet been sent out to those who'll receive them
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61508110
  • Options

Were those the ones he scoffed himself?
    For breakfast
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    28 people in Partygate received between two and five fines - Met police
    https://twitter.com/Fhamiltontimes/status/1527229407886188545
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    mwadams said:

A 25 year old today has only known of the Queen as an old woman. If her parents were 25 when they had her, *they* were maybe just old enough to remember the Silver Jubilee.

The Silver Jubilee is my first distinct memory of Ingerland. We had been living in Belgique for six years at that point but we came to Yorkshire that summer to visit family. My 9 year old largely francophone consciousness was utterly baffled by all the flags and bunting. I thought that's just how it always was.

Now, with the tory flegfest it almost is.
  • Options
    Mason says no Boris FPN but police 'haven't sent them all out yet '
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,319

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

And the advice on pizza toppings.
  • Options

They had sent out 100 a few days ago so it will be the final 26 that could be interesting
  • Options

Is Mr. Mason building a case against him
  • Options
    Like waiting for Godot...

Anushka Asthana
    @AnushkaAsthana
    ·
    22m
    Sources tell me Sue Gray will aim to publish her report shortly- but that could be a week or more as they will need to know from the police that they can go ahead, then she’ll finalise her report

https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1527225299343114240
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

So it turns out Mr Johnson was guilty of nothing more than being ambushed by cake.
  • Options

Anushka Asthana
    @AnushkaAsthana
    ·
    22m
    Sources tell me Sue Gray will aim to publish her report shortly- but that could be a week or more as they will need to know from the police that they can go ahead, then she’ll finalise her report

The Met police have finished what more is needed . Perhaps waiting to the Queens jubilee celebrations in hope that the media will be obsessed with that !

• Options
    After all the brouhaha earlier this year this feels very anticlimactic. Surely there has to be more to be fined over than having a slice of birthday cake at lunchtime at work. Is that seriously it?

Curious what pictures are going to be released. So far we've got pictures of socially distanced drinks in the garden, a lame Zoom quiz, and drinking a bottle of beer with a Korma for dinner.

Hardly raves and snorting coke off hookers is it? Hardly matches the hedonistic reputation of Boris or the notion of a party.
  • Options

So it turns out Mr Johnson was guilty of nothing more than being ambushed by cake.
    Unless he receives another from this last tranche, which would appear to possibly include ABBAgate
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

HYUFD said:

I suspect that is a somewhat twisted statistic. The demographic of the average conservative is weighted toward rural areas , particularly rural villages where they are more likely to have such events. There is loads going on in my village. TBH, I am quite surprised it is only 48% of Tories.
    The locals round here - LibDem Middle Class* - are getting the council to pedestrianise the streets, have food and drink with the neighbours.

Not a bunch of Ultra Royalists - more "it's an excuse for a summer party. Meet new neighbour (2 years of COVID). Plus it is outside, for those a bit sensitive about crowed spaces, still".

*Not necessarily LibDem voters, but their values are 100% match for LibDemmery. Who was it who did the adverts pointing out that if all the people who wanted LibDem policies voted LibDem, they would be in government?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

So the PM has received precisely one FPN, becuase his wife turned up to a business meeting with a birthday cake.
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    How have we come from Maggie Thatcher to "Inflation's nothing to do with me, guv"?

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1527196392808128512
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    How have we come from Maggie Thatcher to "Inflation's nothing to do with me, guv"?

Gordon Brown set up the MPC?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

I suppose the questionnaires were completed honestly? And there was no collusion?
  • Options

Tom Harwood
    @tomhfh
    ·
    11m
    We don’t know yet the Met don’t actually issue FPNs, they make recommendations to the ACRO Criminal Records Office - who issue the fines.

So there is a delay between the Met making the recommendation, ACRO sending the fine, and then us knowing who got one.

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1527231063499710465
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Reflecting on the almost stabbing earlier.
    Was really impressed with potential stabee. When the girlfriend got between them and gave him the space to get up, he could have done some serious damage. He was eight inches taller, about six stone heavier, twice as fit and 100 times more sober.
    But he didn't. Just kept repeating. "It wasn't me. I didn't do that. You've got the wrong blerk mate. Go home before you regret it."
    Even as stabby bloke threatened him, his family and his mates.
    Not sure I could have been that cool in the circumstances.

Why does that impress you...to my mind kick the fucker into the middle of next week and one less idiot in the world. You know stabby guy is going to do it again and next time may well kill someone.
    Fuck it: why bother with courts or justice, you just get your boot in.
    The guy was trying to stab him in this case. I have no problem if he defends himself and an idiot happens to end up bleeding out. Its not like he was not guilty
    That's not what you said.

If someone is attacked and defends themselves, then one should have a very wide degree of latitude. But that's not what you said.

You specifically said "kick the fucker into the middle of next week and one less idiot in the world". You argued for killing the guy, whether it was needed to defend oneself or not.

Don't try and weasel word your way out of your original statement.
    Who was weaselling...guy got all stabby...guy dies absolutely no loss. No bones about that whatsoever. The courts wont punish him and he will just do it again so take him off the streets before he succeeds
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Anushka Asthana
    @AnushkaAsthana
    ·
    22m

The Met police have finished what more is needed . Perhaps waiting to the Queens jubilee celebrations in hope that the media will be obsessed with that !

I doubt they'll want too long a grass for this to be kicked into, presumably they'll want the Sue Gray report to be released before the Police investigation into Keir Starmer's beergate is concluded.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Sandpit said:

So the PM has received precisely one FPN, becuase his wife turned up to a business meeting with a birthday cake.
    Well, we don’t actually know yet.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy as Britain was a net payer into EU funds regional aid as you put it was simply the EU giving Britain some of the funds it had already paid them back

The Good News is that now we have left the EU we have largely stopped this kind of communism. Instead of the inefficiency of paying money to Brussels who then distribute it to the areas we left poor, we simply don't pay the money to Brussels, and don't pay it to the regions either.

Huzzah!
    So much you neglect to mention such as those eu funds had to be matched like for like and were generally spent on shite no one in the regions wanted or benefitted that much from...take cornwal where I come from....we got the eden project....a lot of money went to london architects, german manufacturers...what did cornish people actually get a few min wage jobs and even more traffic chaos.
    I'm sorry to get all technical, but there were hundreds of different types of EU "aid", and only some of them involved a requirement for matching funding from Central government. (And, of course - and this used to make me gag - you could usually get the requirement for matching removed if you were prepared to plaster your project with posters with the EU flag on.)
    Even if funding didnt get matched doesnt change a lot of the projects did little to benefit locals. now if they had paid to extend the m5 past plymouth that would have been a plus. Instead they gave us the eden project which made and continues to make a lot of money little of which benefits cornwall as most of the construction money went elsewhere as does most of the profit it makes
    You've got a bit of a thing about the Eden Project, haven't you!
    Yes as a concept I love the eden project...as an example of helping the cornish people its shit
  • Options

I suppose the questionnaires were completed honestly? And there was no collusion?
    Well, Plebgate showed that the police think that an "eye witness" sending a copy of the statement written by a police officer was A OK.

Said statement was allegedly written without the Police Officer and the eye witness ever meeting.

The fact that the eye witness turned out to be a retried police officer who was proved not to have been in London on the day in question was completely irrelevant.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Reflecting on the almost stabbing earlier.
    Was really impressed with potential stabee. When the girlfriend got between them and gave him the space to get up, he could have done some serious damage. He was eight inches taller, about six stone heavier, twice as fit and 100 times more sober.
    But he didn't. Just kept repeating. "It wasn't me. I didn't do that. You've got the wrong blerk mate. Go home before you regret it."
    Even as stabby bloke threatened him, his family and his mates.
    Not sure I could have been that cool in the circumstances.

Why does that impress you...to my mind kick the fucker into the middle of next week and one less idiot in the world. You know stabby guy is going to do it again and next time may well kill someone.
    Fuck it: why bother with courts or justice, you just get your boot in.
    The guy was trying to stab him in this case. I have no problem if he defends himself and an idiot happens to end up bleeding out. Its not like he was not guilty
    That's not what you said.

If someone is attacked and defends themselves, then one should have a very wide degree of latitude. But that's not what you said.

You specifically said "kick the fucker into the middle of next week and one less idiot in the world". You argued for killing the guy, whether it was needed to defend oneself or not.

Don't try and weasel word your way out of your original statement.
    Who was weaselling...guy got all stabby...guy dies absolutely no loss. No bones about that whatsoever. The courts wont punish him and he will just do it again so take him off the streets before he succeeds
    What about guy's family?
  • Options

Tom Harwood
    @tomhfh
    ·
    11m
    We don’t know yet the Met don’t actually issue FPNs, they make recommendations to the ACRO Criminal Records Office - who issue the fines.

So there is a delay between the Met making the recommendation, ACRO sending the fine, and then us knowing who got one.

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1527231063499710465

OK, this makes a lot of sense - except that last time the first we heard was when the FPNs were issued.
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h

That was pretty much the attitude of Wilson and Heath and Callaghan. Only Thatcher and Major got inflation down.

Though Thatcher did not have the aftermath of a pandemic and Russian war with Ukraine to deal with
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Foxy as Britain was a net payer into EU funds regional aid as you put it was simply the EU giving Britain some of the funds it had already paid them back

The Good News is that now we have left the EU we have largely stopped this kind of communism. Instead of the inefficiency of paying money to Brussels who then distribute it to the areas we left poor, we simply don't pay the money to Brussels, and don't pay it to the regions either.

Huzzah!
    So much you neglect to mention such as those eu funds had to be matched like for like and were generally spent on shite no one in the regions wanted or benefitted that much from...take cornwal where I come from....we got the eden project....a lot of money went to london architects, german manufacturers...what did cornish people actually get a few min wage jobs and even more traffic chaos.
    Quite right. People voted for less money. Fewer roads. A reduction in jobs.
    Cornwall got no more roads what it got was more cars....I think local jobs amounted to 400 or so min wage jobs on a seasonal basis...hardly a good advert for 80 odd million funding might get our moneys worth for cornwall after a 100 years or so I guess on a 9£ an hour basis.

There were many things you could do with 80 mill that would have benefitted actual cornish people more than the eden project. Even though I think the eden project was a wonderful thing in and of itself....dont try and show it as a net benefit to cornish people was my point. I suspect most eu projects that got funding are similar
  • Options

nico679 said:

Anushka Asthana
    @AnushkaAsthana
    ·
    22m

I doubt they'll want too long a grass for this to be kicked into, presumably they'll want the Sue Gray report to be released before the Police investigation into Keir Starmer's beergate is concluded.
    Good point . Hopefully that comes out next week . Beergate really shouldn’t take too long given it’s just one event Durham police are looking into.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The question only relates to actually doing an event ie having a stretch party, going to a beacon lighting or concert etc. It does not include merely watching the concert and parade on TV.

There are plenty of cities and suburbs that will also offer such events but we know Tories and to a lesser extent LDs are far more monarchist than Labour supporters so the figures are no surprise
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,045

Cyclefree said:

I do not wish to speculate about the MP being investigated for alleged sexual offences.

But am I the only one a touch troubled by the order to stay away from Parliament during the investigation?

If there is a concern about interference with witnesses or evidence, that is one thing. But in the absence of that, is this really acceptable? First, it risks identifying the person or putting others under unfair suspicion. Second, why should someone who has not even been charged be prevented from doing a key part of their job? A person is innocent until proven guilty. Keeping someone away even when not charged is implying that they are somehow in the wrong and when they do come back, assuming no charge, that will hang round them.

I realise there are other considerations. But lots of people remain free while investigations carry on and we do not expect them to stop working and be shunned by society.

I do worry that we are in danger of denuding the very precious idea of "innocence until proven guilty" of any real meaning and creating a whole new set of unfairnesses. It is precisely because sexual offence allegations are so serious that we should be wary of a "judgment first, trial later" approach.

Or am I alone in worrying about this?

You are not alone - I find it very troubling indeed. Until charged everything should be done to avoid jigsaw identification. And he has a job to do to represent his constituents. Does he get to vote? Take part in committees?
    I can understand that there might be an issue if the person accusing him is also at parliament, but this is not the way to handle it.

Innocent until proven guilty.
    Innocent until proven guilty is true, but glib. Taken to its logical extreme, nobody would ever be remanded in custody until their trial has concluded. Not sure the GBP would be happy about that - unconvicted but suspected terrorist bombers released on bail?

In the case of the MP, however, the issue is that the police/CPS should get on with it and decide whether to prosecute. If they do, then I think it's legitimate to exclude him from the HoC.
    That seems about right to me. If he's merely under possible suspicion, on the basis of who knows what evidence, I think he should proceed as normal. If he's charged, then I think he should stop attending, and there's a reasonable question whether the voters of X are well-served if he's excluded for months or perhaps a year before the case comes to trial. On the other hand, as he's presumed innocent unless proved otherwise, is it fair to ask him to give up his career? In practice, I think he'd probably feel it was impossible to carry on in that situation, but if acquitted should perhaps be entitled to some sort of compensation?

Telling the police to get on with it has its difficulties too. What if they need to make a crucial interview before deciding, and the interviewee is unavailable till next month? Perhaps they shouldn't even announce arrests until a charge is laid - after all, what public benefit is there to knowing that unknown person X has been accused of something?
    It’s a political decision not a legal one. If the Tories didn’t ask him not to attend then you can bet that a number of anti Tories, assuming the man is charged in due course, will try to paint the party as not doing anything “when they knew about these charges for months/years”

Those attackers don’t care about justice
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,517
    Sorry. Not sorry.

Developed by this bloke. A despised humanities grad, no doubt.

• Options

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

He’s not a glutton for punishment… just a glutton
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

I wanted to see something on the big screen the other day so went to see Downton (something or other). My taste in cinema is eclectic and I watch a lot from around the world. But on reflection I don't think I've watched such ill judged tripe for a long time. It wasn't the storyline or even the acting-though wading through that guff must have been a challenge- it was the underlying assumptions the story made.

It was a trip through the sensibiliies of Julian Fellowes and it wasn't a nice place to be. To him it was a wonderous place where there was order and everyone knew their position in it. It was a story of class and snobbishness that far from being reviled was worshipped. It wasn't a case of being historically accurate either. The sub plot of the leading actor's gay liason with the under-butler in the film within the film was simply ridiculous.

I understand the alienation Heathener is talking about and she has a point. The sooner this class ridden nonsense is scrubbed from our consciousness the sooner the country might regain some of it's harmony and dignity. Whoever rids us of the Bullingdon Boys and the 'Fellowes' mentality that put them there the sooner the country might forget the bruising last few years and become a half decent place to be in again.
  • Options

Sorry. Not sorry.

The 🦄 has always been the only correct option of course.
  • Options

Sorry. Not sorry.

Given he's a professor of Political Science and Law, I find it unlikely he found the time to do a humanities degree.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I wanted to see something on the big screen the other day so went to see Downton (something or other). My taste in cinema is eclectic and I watch a lot from around the world. But on reflection I don't think I've watched such ill judged tripe for a long time. It wasn't the storyline or even the acting-though wading through that guff must have been a challenge- it was the underlying assumptions the story made.

It was a trip through the sensibiliies of Julian Fellowes and it wasn't a nice place to be. To him it was a wonderous place where there was order and everyone knew their position in it. It was a story of class and snobbishness that far from being reviled was worshipped. It wasn't a case of being historically accurate either. The sub plot of the leading actor's gay liason with the under-butler in the film within the film was simply ridiculous.

I understand the alienation Heathener is talking about and she has a point. The sooner this class ridden nonsense is scrubbed from our consciousness the sooner the country might regain some of it's harmony and dignity. Whoever rids us of the Bullingdon Boys and the 'Fellowes' mentality that put them there the sooner the country might forget the bruising last few years and become a half decent place to be in again.
    It seems to endure down the centuries though, doesn't it? I blame the Norman conquest. Bloody Europeans, coming over here and installing a new elite.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Boris Johnson absolutely has to resign for just how lame and pathetic his "parties" are.

He's not supposed to be the straightlaced guy he's supposed to be this notoriously hedonistic and flamboyant party animal that has flouted the rules. Six months of civil servant and Police investigations trawling through two years of events and all we have to show for it is singing Happy Birthday around a cake?

That's disappointing. We get more drama and entertainment from @leon in any single random evening than that.

There will be Alanis Morisette levels of irony, if the first person to resign from all this triviality is Sir Keir - not because he did anything particularly bad, but because he attacked every minor indiscretion of his opponent while failing to be whiter than white himself.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The question only relates to actually doing an event ie having a stretch party, going to a beacon lighting or concert etc. It does not include merely watching the concert and parade on TV.

There are plenty of cities and suburbs that will also offer such events but we know Tories and to a lesser extent LDs are far more monarchist than Labour supporters so the figures are no surprise
    Are LDs more monarchist than Lab? Genuine question as I have no idea. I think a lot of people don't feel strongly one way or the other and are happy to have a good party. I know that is my position. In principle I guess I am a Republican but I have no great desire to get rid of the monarchy as it stands. Most royal events I ignore, but I did take part in the silver jubilee celebrations (on the winning team of a pram race pub crawl) and happy to take part in any party for any excuse.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h

That was pretty much the attitude of Wilson and Heath and Callaghan. Only Thatcher and Major got inflation down.

Though Thatcher did not have the aftermath of a pandemic and Russian war with Ukraine to deal with
    The Oil Price Rises in the 70's were a traumatic event, with stock markets collapsing and savings being wiped out.
    Inflation was falling when Callaghan left office; Thatcher was 'lucky' in that things were stabilising when she came to office, and N. Sea oil was really flowing.

I was trying to run a business at the time and the effect of high interest rates and high inflation were shattering.
  • Options
    northern_monkey how to create a 🦄 in 3 easy steps.

Step 1: Leave Single Market
    Step 2: Don't enforce border in Irish Sea
    Step 3: Don't enforce land border

Voila: 🦄 created. Move on.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114
    Roger said:

Downton Abbey is pure Tory shite from beginning to end, although it has good music.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Sorry. Not sorry.

Given he's a professor of Political Science and Law, I find it unlikely he found the time to do a humanities degree.
    Haha, good point! I'm a dumbass.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 782

Sorry. Not sorry.

Your comment, though tongue in cheek, reminded me that, it seems to me at least, there is a bit of a trend in Humanities based scholarship of adapting more traditional scientific methods at the moment. Those academics who have adopted it, those who are interested in examining a question rather than engineering an answer, seem to be doing rather well. It does not yet appear to have reached the social sciences at my former institution, however.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

(I am a mildie)
    You are no true mildie- you said you voted coldie once. Ideological meteorological purity is all that matters.
    I’m launching a new movement to call for compromise between the Coldies and the Mildies. Why can’t you all be more constructive?

I’m thinking of naming it the Wets…
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Anushka Asthana
    @AnushkaAsthana
    ·
    22m

Good point . Hopefully that comes out next week . Beergate really shouldn’t take too long given it’s just one event Durham police are looking into.
    Seems one of the witnesses is away and the Durham Police expect the report to be concluded by the first week in July
  • Options
    No more fines for Carrie according to Sky
  • Options
    Looks like Big Dog is safe until the GE now.

• Options
    Bizarrely the Met police are saying no further action regarding Carrie Johnson which would suggest that people at the alleged party haven’t received any FPNs , that would I think mean Johnson won’t receive one so the 13 November fines must relate to the leaving do in no 10 . Was Johnson at that ?
  • Options

Sorry. Not sorry.

So completely unbiased then given the Jean Monnet chair?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h

The Oil Price Rises in the 70's were a traumatic event, with stock markets collapsing and savings being wiped out.
    Inflation was falling when Callaghan left office; Thatcher was 'lucky' in that things were stabilising when she came to office, and N. Sea oil was really flowing.

I was trying to run a business at the time and the effect of high interest rates and high inflation were shattering.
    I remember the petrol rationing books issued in the 70s (73 I think). It was definitely serious stuff.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Roger said:

It seems to endure down the centuries though, doesn't it? I blame the Norman conquest. Bloody Europeans, coming over here and installing a new elite.
    It's one of the big 'what if's isn't it. If Harold Godwinson had lost at Stamford Bridge (the one near York) would William the Bastard have split what we now know as England with Harald Hardrada and Tostig Godwinson and would the Normans have subsequently spent their time fighting across the Trent or Humber as opposed to crossing Offas Dyke?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Julian Fellowes is a crashing snob
  • Options
    Roger said:

Until we get rid of this "class ridden nonsense", British people won't make decent servants. Or waiters in a fine restaurants.
  • Options

Looks like Big Dog is safe until the GE now.

There is an irony if Boris does only receive one FPN against all the odds, then Starmer and Rayner resign over Durham
  • Options

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

(I am a mildie)
    You are no true mildie- you said you voted coldie once. Ideological meteorological purity is all that matters.
    I’m launching a new movement to call for compromise between the Coldies and the Mildies. Why can’t you all be more constructive?

I’m thinking of naming it the Wets…
    Damn

I should have called it a new Front not a movement. My mind must be clouded this morning.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    Cyclefree said:

I do not wish to speculate about the MP being investigated for alleged sexual offences.

But am I the only one a touch troubled by the order to stay away from Parliament during the investigation?

If there is a concern about interference with witnesses or evidence, that is one thing. But in the absence of that, is this really acceptable? First, it risks identifying the person or putting others under unfair suspicion. Second, why should someone who has not even been charged be prevented from doing a key part of their job? A person is innocent until proven guilty. Keeping someone away even when not charged is implying that they are somehow in the wrong and when they do come back, assuming no charge, that will hang round them.

I realise there are other considerations. But lots of people remain free while investigations carry on and we do not expect them to stop working and be shunned by society.

I do worry that we are in danger of denuding the very precious idea of "innocence until proven guilty" of any real meaning and creating a whole new set of unfairnesses. It is precisely because sexual offence allegations are so serious that we should be wary of a "judgment first, trial later" approach.

Or am I alone in worrying about this?

Would you be similarly troubled if it were, say, a teacher ?

I agree that it's not a simple issue, but the procedures in teaching for suspending on full pay, without prejudice to any criminal proceedings, are pretty well understood.

If it's a baseless accusation, then there's no real way for the accused not to be harmed by it, and there ought to be some way of recognising that and providing recompense. But allowing someone in a fiduciary position - which obviously includes MPs - to continue as though they hadn't been arrested in connection with such a charge, is simply unrealistic.

And unless the MP is publicly identified, then there is a potential safeguarding problem with (eg) vulnerable constituents.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Boris Johnson absolutely has to resign for just how lame and pathetic his "parties" are.

He's not supposed to be the straightlaced guy he's supposed to be this notoriously hedonistic and flamboyant party animal that has flouted the rules. Six months of civil servant and Police investigations trawling through two years of events and all we have to show for it is singing Happy Birthday around a cake?

That's disappointing. We get more drama and entertainment from @leon in any single random evening than that.

There will be Alanis Morisette levels of irony, if the first person to resign from all this triviality is Sir Keir - not because he did anything particularly bad, but because he attacked every minor indiscretion of his opponent while failing to be whiter than white himself.
    Not really Alanis-level, as it would actually be ironic...!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613

Cyclefree said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Licence to Steal?

The Daily Mail will go all hate-filled about this but what a tragic state this country is descending into.

https://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-living-police-officers-should-use-discretion-over-desperate-shoplifters-says-chief-inspector-12616359

I would gently suggest your posts are hardly conducive to a less confrontational society
    That has absolutely nothing to do with my post
    I would suggest it has a great deal to do with the constant theme of your posts
    Big G lay off. I post left-of-centre and sometimes alternative views. You don't have to agree with them but of course they are going to 'seem' abrasive to someone of a right wing persuasion.

Is this a new even more alarming trend? That the Conservatives are getting so rattled that they now want to clamp down on free speech? On all views contrary to their increasingly Nasty Party? Certainly that would seem to be Priti Patel's wish.
    I don't agree with everything you say but I do think you get unwarranted stick on here. VPNgate, for example. It has more than a whiff of misogyny in my opinion.

I salute your indefatigability!
    To be fair, she also gives out unwarranted stick. I see little behaviour towards her that she does not give out herself.
    About three months ago I realised that the only way for a female to exist on here, in my opinion, is to fight.

I think it's really sad but this is a mostly male and often aggressive bear pit of a place.

You might ask, why do I bother? Well it's because politics really interests me and I like betting on it, and offering betting tips on it.

I wish I could be a lot more gentle, which is what I'm like in real life, but I would be mowed down on here I'm afraid.

No need to reply to this please. It's a point of view. You may not agree with it but it won't change (in this instance) how I feel.
    It really is not necessary to fight to survive on here. I have been here for quite some time and have not felt it necessary to get into personal fights with others. And, frankly, personal disputes are to my mind exceedingly tedious - along with most sport, FI and the culinary uses of pineapple in Italian cuisine. But it is very easy to scroll past these outpourings.
    I think Eleanor Roosevelt summed it up best:

Great Minds Discuss Ideas.
    Average Minds Discuss Events.
    Small Minds Discuss People.
    A quote which has always seemed both pompous and snobbish.
    Perhaps unfairly ?

This discussion has been closed.