Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer moving back in the next PM betting – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Fallout from cake round the chopsgate......

Nobody will follow any lockdown crap again - a bonus positive
    I expect the public to be thoroughly pissed off, fed up and want to move on to dealing with COL like now
    I also fully expect Boris, if SKS is fined' to have the brass neck to brazenly suggest that his minor dalliance with cake is much less serious than Starmers Korma and Beer, the disgraceful large dog that he is

Nonsense. We will all be in lockdown again after the jubilee celebrations to prevent this spread of monkey pox.
    Not sure if you're jesting but lockdown would be an utterly inappropriate response given how monkeyspunky spreads in the main. Although I note wingnut Feigl-Ding is trying to stoke up hysteria
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

So for 5 other events that Bozo was at, others have been fined and he wasn't.

One rule for them, another for the rest of us.

There has to be legal reasons why the MET have issued FPNs and to whom

Johnson attended a number of parties that we now know were illegal. He did not demand that any of them be stopped. He was happy for them to continue. As far as he was concerned, it was quite literally one rule for his people and another for the rest of us. That may not attract a fine, but it does tell you exactly what kind of man he is.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Definitely reasons. Whether or not they are all based on legality is another question.
    Then you are challenging the Met Police and suggesting they acted inappropriately
    That is allowed, you know. You don't have to delve deep to find instances where the Met Police have acted inappropriately. I'm sure @Cyclefree can furnish you with a story or two
    Of course accusations can be made about the MET but on something as important as this I do expect them to have followed the law accurately
    "Something as important as this"?
    Rape and murder are more important than "this", and, well, the Met's record is not something I would lean too heavily on if I were you.
    Also ignores that there is significant latitude in how police and prosecutors follow the law. It is not something that can be followed accurately merely something where the police will (or at least should) search out an appropriate and reasonable path of action.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458

Farooq said:

Definitely reasons. Whether or not they are all based on legality is another question.
    Then you are challenging the Met Police and suggesting they acted inappropriately
    That is allowed, you know. You don't have to delve deep to find instances where the Met Police have acted inappropriately. I'm sure @Cyclefree can furnish you with a story or two
    Of course accusations can be made about the MET but on something as important as this I do expect them to have followed the law accurately
    Have you actually encountered the Met? Or observed their actions, over the years?

A simple example, to illustrate the genre.

When a policeman hit a newspaper vendor during a demo, and the vendor later died, a senior policeman decided to hold a press conference. And claim that the police officers present had tried to aid the man as he lay on the ground.

There were 20 plus photographers (and others with mobile phones) who had video showing the police *preventing* anyone coming to his aid.

Doing fucking idiotic and indefensible things on major, public, cases is SOP for the Met.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206

I expect the public to be thoroughly pissed off, fed up and want to move on to dealing with COL like now
    I also fully expect Boris, if SKS is fined' to have the brass neck to brazenly suggest that his minor dalliance with cake is much less serious than Starmers Korma and Beer, the disgraceful large dog that he is

Nonsense. We will all be in lockdown again after the jubilee celebrations to prevent this spread of monkey pox.
    Not sure if you're jesting but lockdown would be an utterly inappropriate response given how monkeyspunky spreads in the main. Although I note wingnut Feigl-Ding is trying to stoke up hysteria
    I'm astonished that Feigl-Dingbat is trying to stoke hysteria. Astonished.
  • Options

I'm astonished that Feigl-Dingbat is trying to stoke hysteria. Astonished.
    We've had the 'ITS AIRBORNEEEEEEEEEEEEE' tweet already
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,908

I wonder how many junior staff have had two or three fines and they, or their Union rep, ar3e seriously pissed off about it. Unless someone else paid the fines.

If I were a junior member of staff accused of doing something illegal whilst at work, I’d have expected my union to put up a lawyer and to have my day in court.

That the fines issues appear to have all been paid with no fuss, suggests that there has been an agreement somewhere.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330
    Carnyx said:

You have faith in the Met Police? The most remarkable such expression since St Thomas Aquinas.
    Nobody is more surprised than I am but according to Helen Ball, Assistant Met Police in charge of the investigation, everybody cooperated and nobody was interviewed under caution

It seems most knew they were in breach of covid regulations and accepted their FPN
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845

Whether you like it or not, the UK is a country in which the wealthy and well connected do operate to a different set of rules to everyone else. I am surprised anyone is surprised by this. But if the Johnsons were legally able to have a party in their flat during lockdown, then millions of the rest of us made a lot of sacrifices back then that we did not need to.

Politically, Johnson's position as Tory leader and PM is now cemented until the general election. His ownership of the Conservative party will get stronger. I am not so sure, though, that anything will change in the country. The majority that now believe he is a lying grifter will continue to think it and the cost of living crisis will dominate.

While I agree with you the well off and well connected seem to be treated differently its also the observation of a lot of people that so do the feral scum of society these days where it seems the police and courts cant be bothered as whats the point. Thats why during the shopping riots we found people who have already got 50 offences on their record going to jail for the first time.

People in the middle, just dotting along being pretty much law abiding seem to a lot of us as the primary target these days as we are easy clear ups and punishment might actually change us. Not just my view but the view of most I know and they range from left to right. Most of us don't even bother reporting a crime now unless we need an insurance number as even if you can give the police information they don't seem to give a shit if its either the well connected or the feral scum of society.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

You have faith in the Met Police? The most remarkable such expression since St Thomas Aquinas.
    Nobody is more surprised than I am but according to Helen Ball, Assistant Met Police in charge of the investigation, everybody cooperated and nobody was interviewed under caution

It seems most knew they were in breach of covid regulations and accepted their FPN
    Everybody co-operated? You mean they filled in their questionnaires rather than abscond to the Caymans?

What did you expect?
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Heathener said:

JJ, who is mostly it seems to me a decent person, claimed yesterday that homophobia and racism were far reduced yesterday. He cited examples of footballers and others harassed in the past for being gay and that now the situation is much better.

Well, yesterday's leading trend on twitter in the whole world was the hashtag 'we are all idrissa' in support of 's PSGSenegalese star Idrissa Gueye who refused to wear a shirt carrying the rainbow symbol.

Homosexuality is illegal in Senegal and in Qatar, who own PSG.

Two compatriots of Gueye who play in Britain tweeted in support of him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61492696

I am afraid I see little or nothing in this country at the moment to damp down the culture wars and hatred being, I believe, deliberately now fanned into flame by Boris Johnson's appeal to a certain kind of red wall demographic.

It's godawful.

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not sure those comments were made - at least not yesterday, and as far as I can remember.
    Hmmm...

So a chap from Senegal isn't especially LGBTQ+

Two players who are from Senegal appear to support him in this.

This rather brings us to the issue of adaption to the host culture when in a country, or the old Political correctness idea of "separate but equal cultures" - yes, some apparent people got up on their hind legs and used that phrase. While discussing equality....

I went to university in 90s. Violent homophobia was present. Because of the source of it, the President of Gay Society actively suppressed (or tried to suppress) reporting of attacks.
    I also went to university around the same time. Not long before I started, the rugby club had joined the gay society (as I believe it was called at the time, it certainly predated LGB becoming LGBT, let alone the rest of the alphabet) en masse and voting to shut it down. IIRC it had to regenerate under a new name and the SU had to jump in to protect against it happening again.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Take it on the chin lads and we will pay it?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

Carnyx said:

Or, as Mr Sandpit suggests, some action was taken by someone to ensure that they were not out of pocket.
    In years to come I suggest there are going to be some 'interesting' memoirs.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Take it on the chin lads and we will pay it?
    I've speculated before that many if not all of those fines may ultimately have their fines paid by the civil service (special bonus for covid work etc).
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Bindweed is the Vladimir Putin of the gardening world.

Evil bloody stuff. Grrrrr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYr0eNtpDHs

Left-handed. Sinister. It figures...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Or, as Mr Sandpit suggests, some action was taken by someone to ensure that they were not out of pocket.
    I am sure you are right
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,675

We shouldn't forget that Johnson lied in Commons though.

What exactly did he say in parliament?

Given the inconsistency of the law (especially if Starmer gets away with the Durham event), might it have been reasonable for Johnson to have assumed he had not broken the law when he said it?
    There is an enquiry into the accusations Boris lied and it will be interesting to see their conclusions
    As the police have cleared him of illegal partying there is no way he has misled parliament. Except not appreciating ambushed by a cake between meetings was actually a party, but, well…
    The police have not cleared him of illegal partying. They issued him with an FPN. More significantly for your point, what Johnson said to Parliament was not just about his personal behaviour, but about that of all of his staff. He said, “All guidance was followed completely [in] Number 10". 126 FPNs for events on 8 different dates says otherwise.

Can he plausibly claim he had no idea of the various events reported? Indeed, can he explain why he didn’t correct the record as soon as he knew this wasn’t the case, as required by the Ministerial Code?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

Carnyx said:

I am sure you are right
    With which part of my post are you agreeing?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Everybody co-operated? You mean they filled in their questionnaires rather than abscond to the Caymans?

What did you expect?
    It would not have been unreasonable to expect some could have refused the FPN and challenged the decision which would have been extremely interesting
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

Just suggesting they apply "Public Interest" as an additional criterion.
  • Options
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 39% (-1)
    CON: 33% (-2)
    LDEM: 12% (+2)
    GRN: 5% (-2)

via @IpsosUK, 11 - 17 May
    https://t.co/WCXPp19q7D
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I am sure you are right
    With which part of my post are you agreeing?
    Both to be fair
  • Options

Whether you like it or not, the UK is a country in which the wealthy and well connected do operate to a different set of rules to everyone else. I am surprised anyone is surprised by this. But if the Johnsons were legally able to have a party in their flat during lockdown, then millions of the rest of us made a lot of sacrifices back then that we did not need to.

Politically, Johnson's position as Tory leader and PM is now cemented until the general election. His ownership of the Conservative party will get stronger. I am not so sure, though, that anything will change in the country. The majority that now believe he is a lying grifter will continue to think it and the cost of living crisis will dominate.

Very true, and this has been known to people who were paying attention for, really, two years. But something like this makes it undeniable - they imposed rules on us that took away our civil liberties and that weren't needed. It's this, not any perceived lying to parliament, that should be the the focus of our ire.
  • Options

Johnson attended a number of parties that we now know were illegal. He did not demand that any of them be stopped. He was happy for them to continue. As far as he was concerned, it was quite literally one rule for his people and another for the rest of us. That may not attract a fine, but it does tell you exactly what kind of man he is.

The number in question appears to be one. And calling that a party is risible.
  • Options

I mean I don’t think we should take monkeypox lightly and I’m glad I’ve had a smallpox vaccination, but I can’t see it leading to a lockdown. It’s flu and coronaviruses that most likely present the threats where you might need a lockdown. And that said, the risk per year is low… it’s just the cost is high if you get it wrong.

Of course, with all of these things, preparation against an outbreak and fast action when one occurs are the key to ensuring you never again get to the stage where you need to shut a whole country down. Fortunately, the UK Government committed to funding a world leading health security agency to make sure we are prepared and to minimise the chances of a repeat of the terrible events we faced under COVID-19.

What’s that? The Government has slashed funding for the health security agency… oh, we’re f***ed…
  • Options

Carnyx said:

What did you expect?
    It would not have been unreasonable to expect some could have refused the FPN and challenged the decision which would have been extremely interesting
    Criminal record if you lose or anonymous £100 fine?
  • Options
    Applicant said:

The number in question appears to be one. And calling that a party is risible.
    BJ has received one FPN. There were other events that have drawn FPNs. BJ appears to have attended some of these, but has not been fined. Hopefully, the Gray report and Commons enquiry will draw out in more details what that means.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

What did you expect?
    Criminal record if you lose or anonymous £100 fine?
    We don’t yet know whether everyone has paid up. With some FPNs still working there way through the system, it’s still possible that someone issued with one will protest it.
  • Options
    This thread has received a FPN and retired from public life.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    I mean; on here we all know that this isn’t the point, but if Starmer now gets a penalty, the Tories probably will get away with the “score” being 1-1 and “everyone being as bad as each other” all the way to the election.

I reckon there’s a 50/50 chance of a massive economic package invoking, and the PM smelling of roses as far as the public is concerned by the time of the next election: sigh…
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,441
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:
    Lab Lib green have actually dropped 1 to just 56 on that poll. But much like 40 plays 35 to 39 plays 33 it’s all within margin of error.

Like I said yesterday, this bad week for Tories will take a few weeks to get into the polling trend. And what I have predicted as polling death spiral indicating a change election.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,019

Farooq said:

LOL, PMSL
  • Options
    gettingbettergettingbetter Posts: 477
    Applicant said:

Very true, and this has been known to people who were paying attention for, really, two years. But something like this makes it undeniable - they imposed rules on us that took away our civil liberties and that weren't needed. It's this, not any perceived lying to parliament, that should be the the focus of our ire.
    They did not just take away civil liberties but damaged the development of young children, ruined the last years of the old, destroyed marriages, made it impossible to get driving tests causing great difficulties for those in rural areas and ravaged businesses.
This discussion has been closed.