Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Wakefield is an absolute must-win for both SKS and BOJO – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited May 2022 in General
imageWakefield is an absolute must-win for both SKS and BOJO – politicalbetting.com

Today is the first day back at work for MPs after the Easter vacation and one of the things that might come up is moving the writ for the Wakefield by-election. What we know is that Boris Johnson’s government tends to move these pretty quickly after the vacancy occurs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ED BALLS
  • Options
    Also the ludicrously short odds on Burnham might lengthen when he fails to apply to be candidate, so laying him might be a plan. But as others have said, unattractive bet on either side in a time of high inflation
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    Pulpstar said:

I don't think it's a must win for the Tories. Starmer needs to win this, and he will.

That's right.

That being said... I don't think this is about whether Labour wins (they will), but by how much.

A small win, say 45-40, and the Conservatives breath a sigh of relief. It's a by-election, cost of living crisis... Not the end of the world.

On the other hand, if it's 60-35, then that looks a little different. A big defeat like that, and Conservative Maps start wondering if Boris has lost a little of his magic.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,372
    edited April 2022
    Fourth.
    carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Beaten by wordle.
    First ever loss.
    Devastated.

Wordle 304 6/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tough one.
    Todays wordle done in 3.

Wordle 304 3/6

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Perhaps I should join Mensa.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Fourth.

Fifth, I think...
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    No pressure on Boris. It's mid term, the government is supposedly hugely unpopular and it's only a 4% swing needed.

Lots of pressure on LAB. Only 4% swing. Easy peasy for LAB surely? We all know how well LAB do well in by elections...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,002
    Emmanuel Macron is abolishing the diplomatic corps and replacing it with a system of political appointments. Very strange timing and he's been attacked from across the political spectrum. Le Pen says she will reverse the decision.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137

NEXTA
    @nexta_tv
    ·
    2h
    #Russia prepares lawsuits to recover its international reserves.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1516318310786383874

===

Central Banker? Go fuck yourself!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

Fourth.

Fifth, I think...
    Moderators don't count ...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137
    8th. Like George Galloway.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,895

No pressure on Boris. It's mid term, the government is supposedly hugely unpopular and it's only a 4% swing needed.

Lots of pressure on LAB. Only 4% swing. Easy peasy for LAB surely? We all know how well LAB do well in by elections...

Big change in expectations for the Tories from Batley and Spen where it was generally expected they'd gain the seat. They didn't, but there was a 2.9% swing in their favour.

Oh what they'd give for a 2.9% swing against now...
  • Options
    I really want the wordle answer to be ROGER one day. I think it’d be fine in US English with the common “message received” meaning, but I don’t expect Americans would get the rather smuttier British English verb meaning.

I was somewhat amused to discover that the etymology of the verb meaning seems to be from old high German ‘hrotger’ which was a kind of spear!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,050
    No way will the Tories be even close here. Not a chance.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Fourth.

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Beaten by wordle.
    First ever loss.
    Devastated.

Wordle 304 6/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tough one.
    Todays wordle done in 3.

Wordle 304 3/6

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Got it in 5. My stepdad and Aunt both failed to get it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,200
    IshmaelZ said:

Also the ludicrously short odds on Burnham might lengthen when he fails to apply to be candidate, so laying him might be a plan. But as others have said, unattractive bet on either side in a time of high inflation

fpt that Mensa "workout" was pathetic. I was arguing with someone on the phone while doing it and got 94%.

As a teaser it is hopeless because it makes you think really - is that all there is to Mensa...
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    Don't agree it's a must win for Bojo. Best case scenario for the Tories would be to restrict the swing and still get 40-42%.

Likewise I would say 50% is a reasonable benchmark for Labour as they got 49.7% in 2017. The question is whether the Tories can get 40%+ or collapse as low as 35%.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,347

Anyone know what the gorgeous one is planning to do?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,834
    The pressure in Wakefield is all on the Opposition. They really need to be comfortably winning by-elections like this mid-term, doubly so given the circumstances of it arising.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

fpt that Mensa "workout" was pathetic. I was arguing with someone on the phone while doing it and got 94%.

As a teaser it is hopeless because it makes you think really - is that all there is to Mensa...
    Quite, the people who thought it was a good idea don't seem to be terribly intelligent
  • Options

GG getting involved in the by-election, is about the only thing that might rescue the Tories.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Quite, the people who thought it was a good idea don't seem to be terribly intelligent
    Surely it’s just a data-collecting exercise?

Personal data, rather than test data.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,527
    89% chance of Labour winning seems about right. I don't think Boris needs a win, but it's true a win would do wonders for his position. I'm sure the Conservatives will try to manage expectations.

What's in the news may be important. More Partygate revelations could blow a Moskva-sized hole in all the "it was just a slice of cake" apologias.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,226
    Pulpstar said:

I don't think it's a must win for the Tories. Starmer needs to win this, and he will.

I'm not sure it's a must win for either leader. I cannot see either of them being deposed even if there is increased muttering in the tea rooms.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Talking of Planning, there's an interesting little complicated issue brewing.

74 local authorities have restricted Plannign Apps - in some cases simly freezing a *lot* - because English Heritage have advised that there is a requirement to show that developments do not increase *nitrate* pollution.

Follows an ECJ ruling on a Dutch case from 2018. I have no idea what this has to do with UK housebuilding now. 60k houses delayed so far, it is estimated.

Summary here:
    https://www.housingtoday.co.uk/news/huge-extension-to-nutrient-neutrality-rules-threatens-thousands-of-new-homes/5116567.article

English Nature have sent out a 25 page advisory letter, including 13 Appendices.
    https://www.chichester.gov.uk/media/36219/Position-statement-on-Water-Neutrality-Sept-21-2021/pdf/Position_statement_on_Water_Neutrality_Sept_21_2021.pdf

Local Planning Authorities seem to have their heads spinning. Affected areas:

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,568
    edited April 2022
    Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Surely it’s just a data-collecting exercise?

Personal data, rather than test data.
    As @IshmaelZ said it looks like it is designed to sucker you in.

I avoid the data collection sites, mainly because I can't be bothered. It would have been better to have given you the test without it, make you look brilliant and then give you the option to enter your data and pay for a proper test.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,843
    My bit on standards-annihilator Boris Johnson, and his many little enablers https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/19/tory-party-boris-johnson-breaking-laws?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,975
    Sandpit said:

GG getting involved in the by-election, is about the only thing that might rescue the Tories.
    Or the appearance of some mystifyingly well funded "independents" to split the vote like Hartlepool.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,307
    Same old in Afghanistan...

3 blasts in Shi'ite neighborhood of Dasht-e-Barchi of Kabul, Afghanistan this morning. First blast targeted a private education center & two others target Abdurahim Shahid High School. Initial reports suggest over 20 deaths. Developing.
    https://twitter.com/Natsecjeff/status/1516330269128671235
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,209

Pulpstar said:

I'm not sure it's a must win for either leader. I cannot see either of them being deposed even if there is increased muttering in the tea rooms.
    There is not the slightest chance of Starmer being removed while the Labour party is showing substantial poll leads.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

3 blasts in Shi'ite neighborhood of Dasht-e-Barchi of Kabul, Afghanistan this morning. First blast targeted a private education center & two others target Abdurahim Shahid High School. Initial reports suggest over 20 deaths. Developing.

S'OK they're brown. We have changed the socio-economic profile of those people we care about.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Or the appearance of some mystifyingly well funded "independents" to split the vote like Hartlepool.
    What makes you think that such independents would work to the advantage of the Tories?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,420
    Sandpit said:

Labour will surely win comfortably. Galloway is a totally busted flush given his "Russian state-affiliated media" twitter descriptor.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

My bit on standards-annihilator Boris Johnson, and his many little enablers https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/19/tory-party-boris-johnson-breaking-laws?CMP=share_btn_tw

Ha Ha. Centrist Dad wank fodder. Marina Hyde duly obliging and her army of sycophants and online fluffers dutifully fawn over her. :smiley:
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,898
    Good morning all

Are we to afford any credence to the rumours that Ed Balls might be eyeing this by-election for a comeback bid?

It would be great to have him back – an absolute class act.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,951

Anyone know what the gorgeous one is planning to do?
    Presumably still whining about having 'Russia state-affiliated media' nailed on to his twitter account. I'm sure his hypothetical opponents would be too high minded to put that on their leaflets..

Wonderfully it appears above every tweet he poops out. This is his pinned tweet:

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,114
    The Brexit vote should give the Tories a bit more of an edge but on current polling this has to be a walk in the park for Labour. The current swing from the GE is more than twice what is required, let alone any bye election factors. As Mike points out Labour have not been very good at generating these, certainly in comparison with the Lib Dems, but they really shouldn't need any.
  • Options

Good morning all

Are we to afford any credence to the rumours that Ed Balls might be eyeing this by-election for a comeback bid?

Why would he do it. He has a very well paying career as a TV "celebrity" riding that gravy train. Money, no hassle, he seems to be having fun doing it too.

Why give it all up ?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Ha Ha. Centrist Dad wank fodder. Marina Hyde duly obliging and her army of sycophants and online fluffers dutifully fawn over her. :smiley:
    I hope you've never used the phrase 'play the ball, not the (wo)man.'
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Brexit vote should give the Tories a bit more of an edge but on current polling this has to be a walk in the park for Labour. The current swing from the GE is more than twice what is required, let alone any bye election factors. As Mike points out Labour have not been very good at generating these, certainly in comparison with the Lib Dems, but they really shouldn't need any.

If labour win by anything less than 10% it is a poor result.

I think they will win handsomely, over 15% majority.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 591
    Taz said:

MattW said:

Fourth.

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Beaten by wordle.
    First ever loss.
    Devastated.

Wordle 304 6/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tough one.
    Todays wordle done in 3.

Wordle 304 3/6

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I managed wordle, quordle, bardle, sweardle and cladder today and this is with covid wooly brain. I have achieved litttle else today. Feel exhausted.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

S'OK they're brown. We have changed the socio-economic profile of those people we care about.
    Serious question - who is bombing the schools now the Taleban is in charge and implementing Taleban policies in them ?

ISIS, rogue elements, other warlords ?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Good morning all

Why would he do it. He has a very well paying career as a TV "celebrity" riding that gravy train. Money, no hassle, he seems to be having fun doing it too.

Why give it all up ?
    Well yes, there is that. He earns a crust as a TV sleb. But maybe he is lured more by a return to politics than televised cooking challenges (he is a superb cook and indeed is the current champ at the latter).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    SandraMc said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Fourth.

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Beaten by wordle.
    First ever loss.
    Devastated.

Wordle 304 6/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tough one.
    Todays wordle done in 3.

Wordle 304 3/6

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I managed wordle, quordle, bardle, sweardle and cladder today and this is with covid wooly brain. I have achieved litttle else today. Feel exhausted.
    I didn’t get tradle today:

https://oec.world/en/tradle/
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    It's not a must-win for Johnson; nothing like it, given the circumstances and the national polling.

The Tories do need to finish in the top two though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Serious question - who is bombing the schools now the Taleban is in charge and implementing Taleban policies in them ?

I think there was a simmering conflict between the Taliban & ISIS even before Kabul fell?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,880
    MattW said:

74 local authorities have restricted Plannign Apps - in some cases simly freezing a *lot* - because English Heritage have advised that there is a requirement to show that developments do not increase *nitrate* pollution.

Follows an ECJ ruling on a Dutch case from 2018. I have no idea what this has to do with UK housebuilding now. 60k houses delayed so far, it is estimated.

Summary here:
    https://www.housingtoday.co.uk/news/huge-extension-to-nutrient-neutrality-rules-threatens-thousands-of-new-homes/5116567.article

English Nature have sent out a 25 page advisory letter, including 13 Appendices.
    https://www.chichester.gov.uk/media/36219/Position-statement-on-Water-Neutrality-Sept-21-2021/pdf/Position_statement_on_Water_Neutrality_Sept_21_2021.pdf

English Heritage? Surely not. Environment Agency / Natural England?

I'd have thought building on agricultural fields would reduce nitrate pollution in most cases.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Without any actual knowledge - all revolutions have groups who spiral into more and more extreme radicalism in the specified idealogy. So there very well may be a Taliban group who thinks that the current government is a bunch of Western sell-outs.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,378
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Not sure who the wxxxxr here is, Johnson for breaking the law, or you for trotting out the usual Boris fanboi crap that you come out with.
  • Options

MattW said:

Summary here:

I'd have thought building on agricultural fields would reduce nitrate pollution in most cases.
    I could of see how digging up a bunch of fields might induce a one-off uptick in nitrates, already in the soil, entering water courses etc.

Is that the issue here? Tried googling around and didn't get a clear answer.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174

It's not a must-win for Johnson; nothing like it, given the circumstances and the national polling.

Yes it would be embarrassing for CON - or LAB - to be beaten by Yorkshire Party! LD and GRN will do well to keep their deposits.
  • Options

Yes it would be embarrassing for CON - or LAB - to be beaten by Yorkshire Party! LD and GRN will do well to keep their deposits.
    A heavy enough defeat for the Tories will put pressure on BJ.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,843
    BREAKING Government whips have called a mass meeting of the Conservative Party's backbenchers for 8pm tonight in the House of Commons.
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1516371581731315717
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

No, it's not OK.
    We left because the occupation was untenable. How we deal with a fundamentalist and repressive Taliban government is a hard question, but ignoring the country's fate is wrong.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    I wonder what odds you could get on tories under 10,000 votes
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,420
    Interesting article on how German fiscal obduracy is driving France towards Euro-scepticism whether or not Macron prevails.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/17/whoever-ends-up-in-elysee-palace-europeanism-is-already-on-the-way-out

The Greeks, of course, don't need to be told.

Will Scholz be more relenting than Merkel? A lot will hinge on how "communitaire" the Germans really are prepared to be.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

No, it's not OK.
    We left because the occupation was untenable. How we deal with a fundamentalist and repressive Taliban government is a hard question, but ignoring the country's fate is wrong.
    At least we're still bombing Iraq. They're the lucky ones.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,282

But if the Tories are trounced it will mean that the great Red Wall issue of Brexit has withered and died as a political motivator. Surely that will be enough to send shivers through the Tory ranks. Without the halo of Brexit Boris is nothing.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

No, it's not OK.
    Oh I'm sorry did you miss the modus operandi of the West over the past two decades.

tl;dr the policies? They fucked Afghan with it. And Iraq. They invaded, then lost the wars in Afghan and Iraq. Think Vietnam if you want a handy guide.

So on the assumption you don't want to re-invade, how else would you suggest we don't ignore the country's fate.
  • Options

MattW said:

Summary here:

I could of see how digging up a bunch of fields might induce a one-off uptick in nitrates, already in the soil, entering water courses etc.

Farming and sewage seem to be about level pegging atm. But watch this space, what with the present cost of artificial N fertiliser (it is made out of crude oil) plus farmers going over to Environmental Land Management schemes.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Does that make you a coprophiliac ? :smile:
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Emmanuel Macron is abolishing the diplomatic corps and replacing it with a system of political appointments. Very strange timing and he's been attacked from across the political spectrum. Le Pen says she will reverse the decision.

Imagine the comments if we did that here......

What a stupid decision by Macron.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,612
    How to help Ukraine 20220419_0122

1) Give the refugees money: Disasters Emergency Committee
    Web: https://www.dec.org.uk/how-you-can-help
    By phone: call 0370 60 60 900.
    By post: make your donation payable to the DEC Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal, PO Box 999, London EC3A 3AA. The form is here: https://www.dec.org.uk/sites/default/files/GetInvolved/postal_donation_form.pdf
    By paypal, card, bank transfer etc: see https://www.dec.org.uk/how-you-can-help

2) Give the refugees money: British Red Cross
    Web: https://donate.redcross.org.uk/appeal/ukraine-crisis-appeal
    By phone: 0300 023 0820
    By post: https://static.redcross.org.uk/-/media/BritishRedCross/Forms/Postal-donation-form-2021-May.ashx
    By paypal, card, bank transfer etc: see https://donate.redcross.org.uk/appeal/ukraine-crisis-appeal

3) Fight alongside them: Ukraine International Legion
    Web: https://fightforua.org/
    See also: https://kyivindependent.com/national/to-combat-russia-ukraine-invites-foreign-fighters-heres-how-to-apply/
    See also: https://kyivindependent.com/national/want-to-help-ukraines-military-as-a-foreigner-heres-what-you-can-do/
    People who have done it IRL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHrGd0BcLmA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6_Azyen5cE

4) Give the Ukranian Armed Forces money: Come Back Alive
    Come Back Alive (Povertaysya Zhyvym) is a Kyiv-based charity working for the military in Ukraine. It provides defensive equipment (reconnaisance drones, body armor, thermal imagers, laptops, etc)
    Web: https://www.comebackalive.in.ua/
    By paypal, card, bank transfer etc: https://www.comebackalive.in.ua/donate

(I'll post this again tonight to catch the late-night crowd)
  • Options
    MrEd said:

You still backing Le Pen for the win?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

I presume this is about trying to breakup the "Thing" in French politics/high government posts. Rather like the closing of the École Nationale d’Administration.

At least nominally. Probably the usual power grab behind it....
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

Summary here:

Farming and sewage seem to be about level pegging atm. But watch this space, what with the present cost of artificial N fertiliser (it is made out of crude oil) plus farmers going over to Environmental Land Management schemes.
    I thought that Nitrate fertilisers were usually made by converting Methane (natural gas) into Ammonia?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

Summary here:

I thought that Nitrate fertilisers were usually made by converting Methane (natural gas) into Ammonia?
    Haber Bosch process.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

No, it's not OK.
    Are we still bombing Iraq ? I thought we'd stopped by now.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

No, it's not OK.
    Oh I'm sorry did you miss the modus operandi of the West over the past two decades.

tl;dr the policies? They fucked Afghan with it. And Iraq. They invaded, then lost the wars in Afghan and Iraq. Think Vietnam if you want a handy guide.

So on the assumption you don't want to re-invade, how else would you suggest we don't ignore the country's fate.
    Food aid, for a start. Unless you prefer we just leave them alone to starve ?

Vietnam is a crap comparison, and a whole different set of mistakes.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

France Trump!
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,378
    Scott_xP said:

BREAKING Government whips have called a mass meeting of the Conservative Party's backbenchers for 8pm tonight in the House of Commons.
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1516371581731315717

Operation Big Dog-save the liar goes up a stage.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

By post: make your donation payable to the DEC Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal, PO Box 999, London EC3A 3AA. The form is here: https://www.dec.org.uk/sites/default/files/GetInvolved/postal_donation_form.pdf

By post: https://static.redcross.org.uk/-/media/BritishRedCross/Forms/Postal-donation-form-2021-May.ashx
    By paypal, card, bank transfer etc: see https://donate.redcross.org.uk/appeal/ukraine-crisis-appeal

See also: https://kyivindependent.com/national/to-combat-russia-ukraine-invites-foreign-fighters-heres-how-to-apply/
    See also: https://kyivindependent.com/national/want-to-help-ukraines-military-as-a-foreigner-heres-what-you-can-do/
    People who have done it IRL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHrGd0BcLmA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6_Azyen5cE

Come Back Alive (Povertaysya Zhyvym) is a Kyiv-based charity working for the military in Ukraine. It provides defensive equipment (reconnaisance drones, body armor, thermal imagers, laptops, etc)

Option 3 is distinctly DYOR.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

Summary here:

Haber Bosch process.
    Yes. You could use coal gasification to produce the hydrogen, but is that common?
  • Options
    I'm beginning to wonder whether the US and UK introducing punitive tariffs (and by that I mean 5000% tariffs) on products produced using energy derived from Russian gas would be viable. I wonder how easily traceable it is and whether Biden could be convinced.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

Summary here:

Probably right. What you are after is hydrogen which you get from methane, or fuel oil. The relevant point being, fertiliser prices vary directly with oil prices.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

SandraMc said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Fourth.

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Beaten by wordle.
    First ever loss.
    Devastated.

Wordle 304 6/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tough one.
    Todays wordle done in 3.

Wordle 304 3/6

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

The clue was in the total value of exports.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    It is not a must- win for the Tories or Boris but a heavy loss ought to mean a new leader. I hope that happens unless he goes before!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,719
    edited April 2022
    MrEd said:

It’s old news as this is part of the reforms started by Macron . Le Pen is just seizing on this now to try and re-float her sinking campaign .
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I've had Ukrainians tell me not to donate to the British Red Cross as they are treating all people the same which includes giving aid to Russians.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

Summary here:

Probably right. What you are after is hydrogen which you get from methane, or fuel oil. The relevant point being, fertiliser prices vary directly with oil prices.
    I though gas prices and oil prices had (partially) disconnected?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

Summary here:

Ummm, isn't nitrogen fertilizer made with natural gas using the Haber process?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

Summary here:

Incidentally, I'm sure I heard several people suggesting Green Hydrogen (from excess wind power production) as a source for the process. Has anything happened on this?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

Summary here:

Ummm, isn't nitrogen fertilizer made with natural gas using the Haber process?
    per wp

Sources of hydrogen

The major source of hydrogen is methane from natural gas. The conversion, steam reforming, is conducted with steam in a high-temperature and pressure tube inside a reformer with a nickel catalyst, separating the carbon and hydrogen atoms in the natural gas, yielding hydrogen gas and carbon dioxide waste. Other fossil fuel sources include coal, heavy fuel oil and naphtha. Green hydrogen is produced without fossil fuels or carbon dioxide waste from biomass, electrolysis of water and the thermochemical (solar or other heat source) splitting of water.[19][20][21]
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,879
    I wonder if @Leon could knap something longer-lasting for this piece of Ukrainian artwork?

https://twitter.com/lorenzo_tondo/status/1516153966639431690
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

Summary here:

If so the ferti mfrrs are keeping that to themselves, never known so many farmers seeing the organic light simultaneously

more here

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2022/mar/21/fertiliser-prices-hit-new-highs-as-multiple-problems-affect-global-supplies
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 896
    MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

I've had Ukrainians tell me not to donate to the British Red Cross as they are treating all people the same which includes giving aid to Russians.
    Granddaughters aged 12 and 10 with their friends, raised €500 for Ukraine with an orange juice (they live in a village surrounded by orange trees) and cake stall at the village festival in Melegis south of Granada. They gave the cash to Unicef.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    edited April 2022

Interesting article on how German fiscal obduracy is driving France towards Euro-scepticism whether or not Macron prevails.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/17/whoever-ends-up-in-elysee-palace-europeanism-is-already-on-the-way-out

The Greeks, of course, don't need to be told.

Will Scholz be more relenting than Merkel? A lot will hinge on how "communitaire" the Germans really are prepared to be.

"Macron’s bid for a second term can be seen as the last gasp of French centre-left pro-Europeanism" - of course, the winners are actually the losers. This kind of contrarianism should be confined to Oxbridge undergraduates and blokes hawking subscriptions to their newsletters.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

No, it's not OK.
    Are we still bombing Iraq ? I thought we'd stopped by now.
    Operation Shader is entering its eighth glorious year. It goes on mainly to justify the extremely expensive and otherwise useless existence of the Cypus SBA/RAF Akrotiri.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

No, it's not OK.

Food aid, for a start. Unless you prefer we just leave them alone to starve ?

Vietnam is a crap comparison, and a whole different set of mistakes.
    We are very creative at inventing new mistakes on each of our in/excursions.

What is food aid going to do and how would it be delivered and to whom and by whom.

"Something Must Be Done" - right?

Explain the details pls.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,927

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

Summary here:

Incidentally, I'm sure I heard several people suggesting Green Hydrogen (from excess wind power production) as a source for the process. Has anything happened on this?
    EDF announced a plant on Teesside in March to go alongside the one BP announced last November https://www.edfenergy.com/media-centre/news-releases/new-green-hydrogen-project-edf-renewables-uk-and-hynamics-teeside

Lead time is years of course simply because it's a big project.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,527
    MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

That is the only way the Red Cross can and should work.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    edited April 2022
    MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

I favour this one https://www.gofundme.com/f/helpukraine run by ex-pat Ukrainians with direct links for distribution of aid.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Ex Kremlin official and Gazprombank vice president is found dead 'with gun in his hand' in his luxury Moscow apartment beside bodies of his wife and daughter, 13

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10731251/Ex-Kremlin-official-Gazprombank-vice-president-dead-gun-hand.html
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

No, it's not OK.

Why shouldn't we ignore the country's fate.

We tried, they didn't want our help. Plenty of other countries in the world that do.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

That is the only way the Red Cross can and should work.
    It is, absolutely, but it also means if you want to give aid to Ukraine, then don't give aid to the Red Cross.

The Red Cross are strictly neutral, always.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

No, it's not OK.

Why shouldn't we ignore the country's fate.

We tried, they didn't want our help. Plenty of other countries in the world that do.
    I couldn't agree more; that was precisely my point. Self-determination for nations, I say.

And, er, bombing them in Iraq aside that's what we are doing. It was @Nigelb who wanted not to ignore their fate and wants to send some KitKats over or something
  • Options

MattW said:

Summary here:

The issue I think is nitrogen in wastewater (ie sewage). Agriculatural land leaches nitrogen into the environment at a given rate (you can google the calculations somewhere), and depending on the density of the development, water usage, and method of sewage treatment, a housing development can result in increased discharge of nitrates into the environment.

Some things are quite sensitive to the amount of available nitrogen. Bluebells, for example, do well in nutrient poor areas.
  • Options
    Where's @williamglenn when you need him. And @TSE for that matter.

Those bloody sneaky French. They've only gone and added us, their arch foe, to their Green travel list, moving us from Orange when no one was looking. Does our centuries-old enmity mean nothing any more?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

Summary here:

If so the ferti mfrrs are keeping that to themselves, never known so many farmers seeing the organic light simultaneously

more here

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2022/mar/21/fertiliser-prices-hit-new-highs-as-multiple-problems-affect-global-supplies
    Well, gas prices have spiked even more than oil prices.....
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,436
    tlg86 said:

SandraMc said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Fourth.

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Beaten by wordle.
    First ever loss.
    Devastated.

Wordle 304 6/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tough one.
    Todays wordle done in 3.

Wordle 304 3/6

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I got Tradle in 1. Very pleased (but was a bit of a wild guess)
This discussion has been closed.