Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Wakefield is an absolute must-win for both SKS and BOJO – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

TimS said:

tlg86 said:

SandraMc said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Fourth.

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Beaten by wordle.
    First ever loss.
    Devastated.

Wordle 304 6/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tough one.
    Todays wordle done in 3.

Wordle 304 3/6

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Perhaps I should join Mensa.
    Got it in 5. My stepdad and Aunt both failed to get it.
    I managed wordle, quordle, bardle, sweardle and cladder today and this is with covid wooly brain. I have achieved litttle else today. Feel exhausted.
    I didn’t get tradle today:

https://oec.world/en/tradle/
    I got Tradle in 1. Very pleased (but was a bit of a wild guess)
    Certainly was - I've barely heard of it!
    These spinoffs are very name first, substance backfilled later. I am just cogitating how my new game turdle is going to work.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,536

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

My apologies everyone for this, but really @HYUFD who complains about me continuing arguments has posted a reply to me a full hour after the new thread opened. Talk about pot and kettle. So I'm not letting him off the hook.

@hyufd seems to think that because he posts something from the internet it is correct. Quote: 'No my facts were absolutely right. I posted the IQ data.' Yes you did BUT as everyone has been telling you it is not meaningful to compare countries because of other variables without taking them into account.

He also said: You quite clearly do have an ideological objection to raw IQ test results as you have spent most of this thread whinging about them. Again no I am not as I have made clear over and over again. I only object to the misuse of the data which is what you always do because you are as thick as a plank.

You also said 'The difference between the average Japanese and Mali test results as I have already shown you is far to big to be bridged even with preparation and coaching'. Again I have explained this to you. My reference to coaching was in the UK/USA context of improving individual IQ results. The reason Mali results are so low is because of other variables primarily the complete lack of education compared to Japan. That is not the same as coaching, we are talking about a completely different society, 3rd world compared to 1st world.

OK so finally I will ask you for the umpteenth time do you really believe that the average Nepal IQ is really 43 and the average Mali IQ is really 59 because that is at the level of not being able to tie your shoe laces. Or is it because of other factors like lack of education.

If the latter then all of what you have posted is bollocks isn't it?

If the former then you are a racist if you think Africans are really this stupid.

I posted on the OLD thread not the new one, you have yet again decided to carry your post over to disrupt the new thread so here we go.

You have an ideological objection to IQ tests, hence you completely dismiss the fact that East Asian countries are over 50 IQ points higher than the lowest IQ nations (and also indeed higher than us). That is just a fact, instead all you can do is rant and rave in your usual pompous manner throwing accusations of racism about and accusing me of being thick because I do not agree with your ideological agenda which is that there is no such thing as raw IQ.

You also need to ask why some nations are 3rd world and some nations are very advanced 1st world like Japan? The answer may well be in part due to raw IQ but no again that has to be dismissed by you with a rant about racism.

There are schools in Nepal and Mali as much as there are schools in Japan after all!
    a) You kept it going not me but I am stopping now because I know how it annoys everyone.

b) You said: 'There are schools in Nepal and Mali as much as there are schools in Japan after all!' You really are deluded aren't you. How on earth can you compare Mali and Nepal education with Japan?

c) You keep saying I have an ideological objection to IQ tests yet ignore the fact that I clearly don't and that they were integral to my work for many years and I used them repeated and was involved in their production. You are just bonkers.

d) So re your last paragraph you really DO think Africans are stupid so therefore you are a racist. I mean what other conclusion can one come to. Go on admit it you think black people are thick. Again I ask why do you think African Americans perform better than Africans if that is the case. They are after all the same people. Africans who suffer poverty do not do so because they are thick, and when rescued from poverty why do they suddenly perform better if you are correct.

It really is offensive if you think Africans are thick.

Also do you have any comprehension of what a score of 43 is? I wouldn't want someone with that IQ level taking me up Everest. But guess what people from Nepal aren't as stupid as you think.

One does wonder what your IQ level is.
    And yet, everyone accepts that races vary by height, weight, athleticism, skin colour, hair colour, stoutness, susceptibility to certain diseases (cf Sickle Cell in Africa, and Cystic Fibrosis in Celtic northwest Europe); heck, they even vary by penis size and maybe personality.

It seems odd that we accept that every single evolved human attribute varies a little or a lot between (and within) races, apart from just ONE - intelligence, which is uniquely the same for all races, and any IQ test that says it isn't equal - which they all do - is racist and must be ignored

Confusing
    It's probably a sign of low IQ to try and engage Leon in rational discourse, but... We know that genetically humans are all very, very similar. We are a very homogenous species: not quite up there with cheetahs, but more homogeneous than most. There is no such thing as race from a biological point of view. IQ, if such a thing exists (cf. debates about "g"), is a result of a very broad range of different genes and of one's environment. Your examples are generally based on a single mutation (sickle cell, cystic fibrosis) or a small number of genes (skin colour, hair colour, penis size, height), and less on environment. It is easier to get variation by ancestry when the thing being measured depends on a small number of genes than when it depends on a large number of genes or on a large number of genes and environmental factors: it's the central limit theorem in action.
    I stopped at "There is no such thing as race"

lol
    There is no scientific definition of race.
    It's a cultural construct, impossible to pin down objectively. Think of it as analogous to your various personae.
    Musing on this. How do you define race? If you view the human species is it only one, or would biologists split it into sub species? Proper objective analysis of skeletal features etc.
    Pick two domestic cats at random. They will differ genetically more (on average) than two domestic dogs picked at random, even though two dogs will probably look less alike. (Phenotype is not always a good guide to genotype.) Pick two humans at random and we will differ genetically much less. Two cheetahs, exceedingly similar: they seem to have gone through a very recent population bottleneck.

We are the only subspecies remaining. Go back far enough and it was a different picture: Sapiens, Neanderthals, Denisovans, Flores man, maybe more! Different species or subspecies of humans, with some gene flow between them. But it’s just H. sapiens sapiens left.

Of course, we’re not all identical: there is some variation, and some of that variation correlates with geography. But it’s not that all the genes vary together. You will see varying allele frequencies at different loci, but it’s not that all the White people have one set and all the East Asians have another and all the Africans have yet another. Those traditional racial categorisations don’t show up in the genetics. One allele will be common in the eastern Med, another around the Himalayas, and so on.

The genetic variation there is is mostly in Africa. Two people with an ancestry outside Africa are closer genetically (on average) than two people in Africa. If you absolutely insisted in using “races”, then there are multiple ones in Africa and the rest of us (European, Asian, Australasian, Native American) can all be lumped together.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,903

My guess if we get a Labour government in 2024, we will see sort of wealth tax, increase on NI++ for higher earners, plus a re-inflating of tax credit system (set against plenty of fiscal drag, so people are filling in form to get money they used to already get).

I refer you to my post made moments ago.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1516386227427192836?t=YFJyDz6Wd9IhKQE1ZzV1sA

Between the Labour Party and the Conservative Party, which do Britons most associate with lower taxes?

Labour: 36%
    Conservative: 16%
    Neither: 29%

Respondents aged 35-to-44 are most likely to say Labour stands for lower taxes (49%)

Game. Over.

Maybe this is the answer to the IQ debate? The UK population are way thicker than we think.
    Or way more intelligent. Tories are failing this country and they are economically clueless.
    All of that might be true without persuading me for one moment that Labour's answer to pretty much everything is not higher public spending.

A Labour party committed to cutting bloated bureaucracies would be interesting but is so far fetched as to be not worth wasting time on.
    Suggesting Labour for lower taxes is like suggesting Cthulhu for less evil.
    Labour's pitch will be to shift the burden towards the well off via a wealth tax.

And given how the conservatives are tearing living standards to shreds right now, many voters will be prepared to at least listen.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,062

20 point Labour lead by the end of this year.

But on what basis? on the basis everyday people are suffering hideous energy and food costs, and crisis in their household budgets? Wouldn’t you rather smaller leads, on basis electorate feel it’s time for change, and no hideous credit crisis for voters? Following on from high energy bills is predicted low growth with high inflation - stagflation, and quite possible now a recession, meaning decent jobs lost and decent businesses lost forever. It would be preferable to achieve change of government without needing this degree of pain on our country?
    Britain is a naturally Conservative country, unfortunately, so it takes some time for the electorate to be reminded why they shouldn't vote Tory.
  • Options

Who is going to be in the least bit surprised if NI++ (stupidly introduced by Sunak) at the end of a 5 years of a Labour government in 2028/29 has magically required reasons to increase it.

Top drawer whataboutery Francis! That's new ground even for PB I think – Whatabout Futures.

"Whatabout something that hasn't happened but might hypothetically happen under Labour at some undefined point in the future?"

Bravo.
    It has happened, every single time Labour are in office.

Sunak is a disgrace copying Labour's policies in raising NI, but that doesn't mean that Labour would do otherwise, they never have.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2022

Who is going to be in the least bit surprised if NI++ (stupidly introduced by Sunak) at the end of a 5 years of a Labour government in 2028/29 has magically required reasons to increase it.

Top drawer whataboutery Francis! That's new ground even for PB I think – Whatabout Futures.

"Whatabout something that hasn't happened but might hypothetically happen under Labour at some undefined point in the future?"

Bravo.
    Its not whataboutery. Sunak was stupid to introduce it both from the economics now (its a tax on jobs at a terrible time), but also terrible politics because it unlocks the cookie jar for those that always tempted that they just need to take a bit more to fund something worthy.

There is absolutely no way Labour will be cutting taxes if they get in.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

My apologies everyone for this, but really @HYUFD who complains about me continuing arguments has posted a reply to me a full hour after the new thread opened. Talk about pot and kettle. So I'm not letting him off the hook.

@hyufd seems to think that because he posts something from the internet it is correct. Quote: 'No my facts were absolutely right. I posted the IQ data.' Yes you did BUT as everyone has been telling you it is not meaningful to compare countries because of other variables without taking them into account.

He also said: You quite clearly do have an ideological objection to raw IQ test results as you have spent most of this thread whinging about them. Again no I am not as I have made clear over and over again. I only object to the misuse of the data which is what you always do because you are as thick as a plank.

You also said 'The difference between the average Japanese and Mali test results as I have already shown you is far to big to be bridged even with preparation and coaching'. Again I have explained this to you. My reference to coaching was in the UK/USA context of improving individual IQ results. The reason Mali results are so low is because of other variables primarily the complete lack of education compared to Japan. That is not the same as coaching, we are talking about a completely different society, 3rd world compared to 1st world.

OK so finally I will ask you for the umpteenth time do you really believe that the average Nepal IQ is really 43 and the average Mali IQ is really 59 because that is at the level of not being able to tie your shoe laces. Or is it because of other factors like lack of education.

If the former then you are a racist if you think Africans are really this stupid.

I posted on the OLD thread not the new one, you have yet again decided to carry your post over to disrupt the new thread so here we go.

You have an ideological objection to IQ tests, hence you completely dismiss the fact that East Asian countries are over 50 IQ points higher than the lowest IQ nations (and also indeed higher than us). That is just a fact, instead all you can do is rant and rave in your usual pompous manner throwing accusations of racism about and accusing me of being thick because I do not agree with your ideological agenda which is that there is no such thing as raw IQ.

You also need to ask why some nations are 3rd world and some nations are very advanced 1st world like Japan? The answer may well be in part due to raw IQ but no again that has to be dismissed by you with a rant about racism.

There are schools in Nepal and Mali as much as there are schools in Japan after all!
    a) You kept it going not me but I am stopping now because I know how it annoys everyone.

b) You said: 'There are schools in Nepal and Mali as much as there are schools in Japan after all!' You really are deluded aren't you. How on earth can you compare Mali and Nepal education with Japan?

c) You keep saying I have an ideological objection to IQ tests yet ignore the fact that I clearly don't and that they were integral to my work for many years and I used them repeated and was involved in their production. You are just bonkers.

d) So re your last paragraph you really DO think Africans are stupid so therefore you are a racist. I mean what other conclusion can one come to. Go on admit it you think black people are thick. Again I ask why do you think African Americans perform better than Africans if that is the case. They are after all the same people. Africans who suffer poverty do not do so because they are thick, and when rescued from poverty why do they suddenly perform better if you are correct.

Also do you have any comprehension of what a score of 43 is? I wouldn't want someone with that IQ level taking me up Everest. But guess what people from Nepal aren't as stupid as you think.

a) You replied again on the previous thread, so I replied to you again. You then continued it onto this new thread rather than the old one.

b) Very easily. They both have schools which give pupils the opportunity to learn, I would not expect Malian and Nepali schools to be so crap in relation to Japanese schools as to be the sole reason for Japan's very high average IQ score in relation to them.

c) Clearly you do have an ideological objection to any notion of raw IQ, otherwise you would not have made umpteen posts saying how raw IQ measures are racist.

d) You just prove my point. Rather than look at the facts you just throw out accusations of racism. Even in developed nations we know full well East Asians get the best exam results when all racial backgrounds are on an equal footing.

It is you saying Africans are thick not me, saying Japan has a higher average IQ than African nations is not the same thing at all (you could equally say African nations produce more long distance Olympic gold medallists than Japan).

I have never pretended to be genius level IQ but what my IQ is is irrelevant to a discussion of a comparison of raw IQ scores between nations and ethnicities
    If anyone else has experience of teaching in the Nepali education system feel free to correct me, but I am very ready to believe that their schools are so much worse than those in Japan that it would explain measured IQ levels easily.
    So a 30 to 50 IQ points gap and gap in advancement of technology produced etc is entirely due to appallingly crap Nepalese schools then in relation to Japanese schools.

OK, it is a view
    Having actually been to Nepal and to Japan, the difference in schooling is vast.

Nepal is a staggeringly poor country - they are short of everything. Even pencils. Quite a few schools are one room, without glass in the windows.....
    They don't count. Not Tory voters.
    Was in Nepal during a General Election. Due to widespread illiteracy they used Party symbols rather than names.
    Was taken aback to see Vote Tree! posters.
    Hmmmm....

1) Trees don't lie
    2) Trees don't steal
    3) Trees don't start wars

Sound like fairly ideal leaders, really.
    Bit slow to react to change, though, and deeply attached to their home soil.
    Nature's conservatives ?
    I think their speech tends to the wooden myself.
    Hearts of Oak.....
    Bring back the birch?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MrEd said:

What's the current state of thinking of the PB Le Pen rampers?

@MrEd still backing her?

Is your question for betting purposes or for your usual stuff?
    I'm merely asking whether you are still backing her: you were tipping her the other day –
    even saying it was an outright bet not a value trade.

Your money still good?
    Yes, I think her odds are better than the netting implies.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Heathener said:

As I've been accused in the past of trolling it's obvious that 'Applicant' works for the Conservative Party.

At least HYUFD is honest about it.

Risible. Must try harder, troll.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,098
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

And yet, everyone accepts that races vary by height, weight, athleticism, skin colour, hair colour, stoutness, susceptibility to certain diseases (cf Sickle Cell in Africa, and Cystic Fibrosis in Celtic northwest Europe); heck, they even vary by penis size and maybe personality.

It seems odd that we accept that every single evolved human attribute varies a little or a lot between (and within) races, apart from just ONE - intelligence, which is uniquely the same for all races, and any IQ test that says it isn't equal - which they all do - is racist and must be ignored

Confusing
    I have never denied there may be differences. I was simply pointing out the IQ results you and @hyufd were useless in identifying any differences because of so many other variables. You do realise that @HYUFD has admitted that he believes that the IQ results for much of Africa are as published on that list. That puts most Africans at the level of not being able to tie their shoe laces. Do you want to be associated with that?
    I have read widely in this area and I agree with you: a lot of those scores for 3rd World/Global South countries are extremely dubious, if not offensive. They come mainly from the work of Richard Lynn at Ulster University. I have encountered Lynn and - how can I phrase this without troubling the libel lawyers and Our Genial Host? - he's probably one of the few people who might actually benefit from a bit of Critical Race Theory

eg He sometimes eagerly seizes on tiny ancient tests done once in a primitive village and applies this to an entire nation. Ludicrous and probably harmful and one wonders at the motivation

On the other hand, I do believe there are some average variations between races - just as with height, weight, speed, hormones, every other human attribute. They are all evolved, and all evolved slightly differently. I just do no understand why intelligence should be uniquely non-susceptible to different evolutionary pressures. I also find the data on Ashkenazi Jews pretty startling and compelling, and born out by their extraordinary success in the arts, science, chess, finance, etc - a fifth of all Nobel Prizes won by 0.2% of the global population??

Finally, however, I agree with @IshmaelZ

This is a subject which has to be handled extremely carefully as it can easily lead to direct, overt racism, and generally it is best not discussed at all, unless it is essential. But nor should the science be suppressed and ignored

It is tricky. It was maybe easier in the day when scientists would talk about really controversial topics in Latin, so only a few understood. Like Krafft Ebbing on sexual fetishes

@leon I agree with all of that except the Jewish bit. After you posted on this yesterday I read up on it. There are perfectly logical explanations given re the Nobel prizes. I'm not going to repeat them here but they were pretty easy to find, but related to the nature of migration to USA, Russia and Israel in 20th century.
    No, the reasons for high Ashkenazi IQ go back to multiple things, like marriage customs, long before then: the most prized individuals in the community were the rabbis and scholars, they got the pick of the wives and had the most kids. A eugenic policy that encouraged higher IQ over time

Also it has been theorized that the persecution of Jews (dating from the Romans at least) has acted as another evolutionary pressure, only the smarter Jews survived and prospered

And so on, and so forth

And that is my last comment on this subject for today, it really can veer into unsavoury places very quickly
    No, we wouldn't want that. As you say, people who are *very* interested in a possible racial dimension to raw intelligence - who read up on that aspect a lot and love to discuss it - are often seeking to validate some pretty dodgy views they hold.

Anyway, so a Nobel Prize for Giles Coren is surely only a matter of time. :smile:
  • Options
    edited April 2022

My guess if we get a Labour government in 2024, we will see sort of wealth tax, increase on NI++ for higher earners, plus a re-inflating of tax credit system (set against plenty of fiscal drag, so people are filling in form to get money they used to already get).

I refer you to my post made moments ago.
    So I am not allowed to take my priors that every time Labour get in taxes go up and predict where they might be taking money from next.

I bet they stand on a similar promise to Boris no increase in IC, NI, VAT, but "harmless" windfall taxes and then we will see introduction of some sort of wealth tax under a similar guise, IHT to catch more people and the NI++ cookie jar will ultimately be too tempting.

Its smart politics, and will probably work not to scare the horses. But not only will there not be economic room to cut taxes, there is also something worthy that needs funding.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

a) You replied again on the previous thread, so I replied to you again. You then continued it onto this new thread rather than the old one.

b) Very easily. They both have schools which give pupils the opportunity to learn, I would not expect Malian and Nepali schools to be so crap in relation to Japanese schools as to be the sole reason for Japan's very high average IQ score in relation to them.

c) Clearly you do have an ideological objection to any notion of raw IQ, otherwise you would not have made umpteen posts saying how raw IQ measures are racist.

d) You just prove my point. Rather than look at the facts you just throw out accusations of racism. Even in developed nations we know full well East Asians get the best exam results when all racial backgrounds are on an equal footing.

It is you saying Africans are thick not me, saying Japan has a higher average IQ than African nations is not the same thing at all (you could equally say African nations produce more long distance Olympic gold medallists than Japan).

I have never pretended to be genius level IQ but what my IQ is is irrelevant to a discussion of a comparison of raw IQ scores between nations and ethnicities
    If anyone else has experience of teaching in the Nepali education system feel free to correct me, but I am very ready to believe that their schools are so much worse than those in Japan that it would explain measured IQ levels easily.
    So a 30 to 50 IQ points gap and gap in advancement of technology produced etc is entirely due to appallingly crap Nepalese schools then in relation to Japanese schools.

OK, it is a view
    Having actually been to Nepal and to Japan, the difference in schooling is vast.

Nepal is a staggeringly poor country - they are short of everything. Even pencils. Quite a few schools are one room, without glass in the windows.....
    Was in Nepal during a General Election. Due to widespread illiteracy they used Party symbols rather than names.
    Bit difficult to do an IQ test if you can't read ...
    It isn't at all difficult, actually. Standard IQ tests don't require reading.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Other than the characteristic "it would be funny" response from DuraAce (who also supported Trump's election bid), @MrEd and his fellow Le Pen Fanciers are being remarkably quiet today on their claims that their girl is a winner.

Have they lost the faith??

Did I say @Anabobazina I supported Le Pen? I said she was betting value.

For the record, I don't think her election would be good at all, especially with the Ukraine. However, it would serve Macron right for being such a tw*t.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Heathener said:

As I've been accused in the past of trolling it's obvious that 'Applicant' works for the Conservative Party.

At least HYUFD is honest about it.

He'd obviously love to have his glans blanched by Johnson's farts but that doesn't mean he's a paid employee of the tory party.
    LOL. Try reading my posts and understanding them. If I were in Wakefield I would be voting Labour unless they find a retread reject as their candidate.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Confusing
    It's probably a sign of low IQ to try and engage Leon in rational discourse, but... We know that genetically humans are all very, very similar. We are a very homogenous species: not quite up there with cheetahs, but more homogeneous than most. There is no such thing as race from a biological point of view. IQ, if such a thing exists (cf. debates about "g"), is a result of a very broad range of different genes and of one's environment. Your examples are generally based on a single mutation (sickle cell, cystic fibrosis) or a small number of genes (skin colour, hair colour, penis size, height), and less on environment. It is easier to get variation by ancestry when the thing being measured depends on a small number of genes than when it depends on a large number of genes or on a large number of genes and environmental factors: it's the central limit theorem in action.

lol
    There is no scientific definition of race.
    It's a cultural construct, impossible to pin down objectively. Think of it as analogous to your various personae.
    Musing on this. How do you define race? If you view the human species is it only one, or would biologists split it into sub species? Proper objective analysis of skeletal features etc.
    I don't, as it's a futile exercise.
    So should we stop all measuring of achievement by race (big companies workforces), health outcomes, no more race crimes?
    Black men are twice as likely as white in the U.K. to develop prostate cancer. Not sure why, but worth investigating.
    We measure those differences by ethnicity, and we understand that ethnicity is a socio-cultural construct. There are some differences in health outcomes caused by genetic variations that correlate with geography — sickle cell, cystic fibrosis have been mentioned — but most of the difference we see are not so caused. We provided references in the intro to this SAGE paper: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/evidence-summary-of-impacts-to-date-of-public-health-communications-to-minority-ethnic-groups-and-related-challenges-23-september-2020
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    edited April 2022

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

OK, it is a view

Not just Nepal. 1 in 6 people in the UK are below the reading level of a 9-year old. That is around six or seven million adults. Some of these people may be quite intelligent, but for whatever reason were not encouraged to read.

https://readingagency.org.uk/about/impact/002-reading-facts-1/
    https://readabilityguidelines.co.uk/clear-language/low-literacy-users/

It is a national scandal.
    I spent much of my career in adult remedial literacy.
    I am rarely believed when I relate the average standard of reading ability.
    Employers in particular. They never quite twigged before why introducing "simplified" paperwork led to drops in productivity. I had to break it to them gently that a huge proportion of their workforce were functionally illiterate.
    They knew very well how to use the forms they'd always used.
    Change the wording or position of the field however...

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Confusing
    I have never denied there may be differences. I was simply pointing out the IQ results you and @hyufd were useless in identifying any differences because of so many other variables. You do realise that @HYUFD has admitted that he believes that the IQ results for much of Africa are as published on that list. That puts most Africans at the level of not being able to tie their shoe laces. Do you want to be associated with that?
    I have read widely in this area and I agree with you: a lot of those scores for 3rd World/Global South countries are extremely dubious, if not offensive. They come mainly from the work of Richard Lynn at Ulster University. I have encountered Lynn and - how can I phrase this without troubling the libel lawyers and Our Genial Host? - he's probably one of the few people who might actually benefit from a bit of Critical Race Theory

eg He sometimes eagerly seizes on tiny ancient tests done once in a primitive village and applies this to an entire nation. Ludicrous and probably harmful and one wonders at the motivation

On the other hand, I do believe there are some average variations between races - just as with height, weight, speed, hormones, every other human attribute. They are all evolved, and all evolved slightly differently. I just do no understand why intelligence should be uniquely non-susceptible to different evolutionary pressures. I also find the data on Ashkenazi Jews pretty startling and compelling, and born out by their extraordinary success in the arts, science, chess, finance, etc - a fifth of all Nobel Prizes won by 0.2% of the global population??

Finally, however, I agree with @IshmaelZ

This is a subject which has to be handled extremely carefully as it can easily lead to direct, overt racism, and generally it is best not discussed at all, unless it is essential. But nor should the science be suppressed and ignored

It is tricky. It was maybe easier in the day when scientists would talk about really controversial topics in Latin, so only a few understood. Like Krafft Ebbing on sexual fetishes

@leon I agree with all of that except the Jewish bit. After you posted on this yesterday I read up on it. There are perfectly logical explanations given re the Nobel prizes. I'm not going to repeat them here but they were pretty easy to find, but related to the nature of migration to USA, Russia and Israel in 20th century.
    No, the reasons for high Ashkenazi IQ go back to multiple things, like marriage customs, long before then: the most prized individuals in the community were the rabbis and scholars, they got the pick of the wives and had the most kids. A eugenic policy that encouraged higher IQ over time

Also it has been theorized that the persecution of Jews (dating from the Romans at least) has acted as another evolutionary pressure, only the smarter Jews survived and prospered

And so on, and so forth

And that is my last comment on this subject for today, it really can veer into unsavoury places very quickly
    That isn't too different to the migration point in the 20th century, particularly with 3 nations (USA/USSR/Israel) trying to attract the best and exploit those skills and to @TOPPING similar post on the subject. The prediction is that this phenomenon will die out and is doing so particularly as Nobel prizes often are for work decades old.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

On topic: Frankly preposterous. It's must win for SKS and for SKS only.

And he will.

It’s not amazingly prosperous to analyse the boosterism Boris would get with a win. It’s a balanced header in what a win does to each side finishing on what punters, presumably Applicant, thinks will happen.

Another bit of analyse you a probably not going to like, all sorts of seats go on mid term by elections, but then switch back at the actual election. So what will the Labour win here really tell us? Even a whopper of a win does not change Starmer’s inherent vices in Charisma and Unlikability going into the actual general election.
    Oh, of course Boris will get a big boost with a win, but that doesn't itself imply that a defeat will leave him in deep trouble.

This is not a symmetric byelection. Even without everything else that's been going on, for a mid term by-election gained by the government at the previous election, the opposition would be odds-on favourite. It's everything else that's going on that makes Labour an overwhelming favourite - therefore a Labour win is baked in and the result will be greeted generally with a "meh" (except for the Boris haters, of course) unless there's a total collapse. It's only if Labour fail to win that there will be a big story - and therefore the idea that it is "must win" for Boris is, I'm afraid, preposterous.

Your last paragraph is entirely right. A Labour win will tell us nothing other than it's a mid term by-election - unless there's a total Tory collapse.
    So how to you define total Tory collapse there, for a result other than Meh.

Last votes and percentages are in the helpful header.
    Looking at past results, 35% seems to be a reasonable threshold to denote the national picture - but then, factoring in the fact that it's a mid term by election, any result in the 30s would fall within reasonable expectations.
    Okay, thank you. We have some sort of fair measurement then. 47 to 30% is Meh. Below 30% a disappointing swing from Conservatives to Labour maybe indicative of something going on that presages the general election.
    Yes, I think so. Also to note (as a general principle) swing calculations shouldn't be taken entirely at face value because of the BXP factor.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,890

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

OK, it is a view

Not just Nepal. 1 in 6 people in the UK are below the reading level of a 9-year old. That is around six or seven million adults. Some of these people may be quite intelligent, but for whatever reason were not encouraged to read.

I've heard it said, by education professionals, that a you can accurately predict the academic trajectory of a child, with considerable accuracy, by whether the parents read to them (or not) when they were small.
    I sung to my son. I fear it might have had the opposite effect and out him off music for life. ;)
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Other than the characteristic "it would be funny" response from DuraAce (who also supported Trump's election bid), @MrEd and his fellow Le Pen Fanciers are being remarkably quiet today on their claims that their girl is a winner.

Have they lost the faith??

There’s another way of looking at the angle you are taking. Rather than crushed by her size of defeat last time, she partied, she loved the progress made, and she is absolutely going to love a 46-54 defeat as another huge stride forward making her a major player.

But there is a hideous undertones beneath everything she puts out and stands for - just like those hideous fascists in Peaky Blinders. Having pops at each other like you are trying to do here, I don’t think gets us closer to the answers we really need, what on earth is going on in France. Why is the mainstream middle gone? What on earth are the voters there thinking to flock to such extremes, with fantasy finance policies, uninspiring leaders, as Le Pen clearly is.

And whilst we are laughing at them, without even understanding it, could the same happen here?
  • Options
    edited April 2022

I hope so. But let's see what the manifesto has. They might play things safe if they have a lead going in. Just the remotest acquaintance with competence and integrity might be judged to be sufficient.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1516386227427192836?t=YFJyDz6Wd9IhKQE1ZzV1sA

Between the Labour Party and the Conservative Party, which do Britons most associate with lower taxes?

Respondents aged 35-to-44 are most likely to say Labour stands for lower taxes (49%)

Game. Over.

Feels vey much like a one-term Labour government coming.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

OK, it is a view

Hmmmm....

1) Trees don't lie
    2) Trees don't steal

I wood be happier with them than with Johnson.

But would they have enough branches to challenge for power?
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

And he will.

It’s not amazingly prosperous to analyse the boosterism Boris would get with a win. It’s a balanced header in what a win does to each side finishing on what punters, presumably Applicant, thinks will happen.

Another bit of analyse you a probably not going to like, all sorts of seats go on mid term by elections, but then switch back at the actual election. So what will the Labour win here really tell us? Even a whopper of a win does not change Starmer’s inherent vices in Charisma and Unlikability going into the actual general election.
    Oh, of course Boris will get a big boost with a win, but that doesn't itself imply that a defeat will leave him in deep trouble.

This is not a symmetric byelection. Even without everything else that's been going on, for a mid term by-election gained by the government at the previous election, the opposition would be odds-on favourite. It's everything else that's going on that makes Labour an overwhelming favourite - therefore a Labour win is baked in and the result will be greeted generally with a "meh" (except for the Boris haters, of course) unless there's a total collapse. It's only if Labour fail to win that there will be a big story - and therefore the idea that it is "must win" for Boris is, I'm afraid, preposterous.

Your last paragraph is entirely right. A Labour win will tell us nothing other than it's a mid term by-election - unless there's a total Tory collapse.

Looking at past results, 35% seems to be a reasonable threshold to denote the national picture - but then, factoring in the fact that it's a mid term by election, any result in the 30s would fall within reasonable expectations.
    I would lean towards a high two party share like in Erdington (although maybe Yorkshire Party could hold their deposit on a good day, Greens possibly less likely) so I don't see a complete Tory collapse below about 35% as a worst case scenario which would be similar to the 34% they got in the 2015 GE.

Turnout could be very low though e.g only 30%.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

OK, it is a view

Hmmmm....

1) Trees don't lie
    2) Trees don't steal

"3) Trees don't start wars"

Macbeth would like a word.
    Great retort. You certainly now how to Birnam.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,388
    edited April 2022

Excellent news. That’s potentially 110 more fruit pickers. Or HGV drivers. Or something.

I’m sure those poor folk feel suitably levelled up, and are over the moon with their new sovereignty.

Well, that story got quite a lot of stuff added between the Newark Advertiser and City AM :smile: .

Most importantly Goodlife Foods are hardly in the top 10 private sector local employers, never mind being the top employer of all.

It's A Dutch multinational consolidating.

But they are still gagging to link everything to Brexit :-) . Give it time.

https://www.newarkadvertiser.co.uk/news/food-maker-to-move-production-overseas-with-loss-of-up-to-10-9249175/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Confusing

lol
    You shouldn't have done. It was rather a good post (l know you didn't, just to clarify, as you seem to not know when I am being flippant sometimes)
  • Options

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

OK, it is a view

I've heard it said, by education professionals, that a you can accurately predict the academic trajectory of a child, with considerable accuracy, by whether the parents read to them (or not) when they were small.
    Sounds credible but I've actually heard the opposite. Well, not the opposite, that reading to a child hampers them, but that there isn't a correlation.

Hard to prove either way, I guess. How to isolate that variable?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

OK, it is a view

Hmmmm....

1) Trees don't lie
    2) Trees don't steal

Lol.

Although obviously tree species actually do indulge in wars of several kinds.

Poisoning insects, poisoning other trees
    Stealing light from neighbours
    Attempting to colonise land
    Encouraging fires to kill off the opposition

etc
    etc
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Game. Over.

Feels very much like a one-term Labour government coming.
    For starters yes. We can't elect a two term Labour government sadly.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

OK, it is a view

Hmmmm....

1) Trees don't lie
    2) Trees don't steal

Lol.

Although obviously tree species actually do indulge in wars of several kinds.

Poisoning insects, poisoning other trees
    Stealing light from neighbours
    Attempting to colonise land
    Encouraging fires to kill off the opposition

etc
    etc
    There is unrest in the forest
    Trouble with the trees
    For the maples want more sunlight
    And the oaks ignore their pleas
    The trouble with the maples
    (And they're quite convinced they're right)
    They say the oaks are just too lofty
    And they grab up all the light
    But the oaks can't help their feelings
    If they like the way they're made
    And they wonder why the maples
    Can't be happy in their shade
    There is trouble in the forest
    And the creatures all have fled
    As the maples scream, "Oppression"
    And the oaks just shake their heads
    So the maples formed a union
    And demanded equal rights
    They say, "The oaks are just too greedy
    We will make them give us light"
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    For they passed a noble law
    And the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe, and saw
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

OK, it is a view

Hmmmm....

1) Trees don't lie
    2) Trees don't steal

Just one word for that post, dunce:

Inane.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Taz said:

What is it that distinguishes SKS’s takeaway and beers with party staff in Durham from BJ’s “birthday party”?

One was deemed to breach the law and merit FPN's, the other wasn't.
    Hard for Tories to grasp that fact.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

And he will.

Okay, thank you. We have some sort of fair measurement then. 47 to 30% is Meh. Below 30% a disappointing swing from Conservatives to Labour maybe indicative of something going on that presages the general election.
    Yes, I think so. Also to note (as a general principle) swing calculations shouldn't be taken entirely at face value because of the BXP factor.
    Mike Smithson has said a few times, a crushing by election defeat I think Eastbourne, prompted the Tory Party to dump PM who had just delivered two landslide majorities depriving her chance to defend her majority. By your measurement a Tory drop from 47% into the 20’s heaps similar pressure on Boris.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Game. Over.

We did in 1997.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,792
    Dall-e 2 is still producing the most extraordinary images

From the prompt:

“A photo of kittens stressing over a spreadsheet in an office”

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

OK, it is a view

Hmmmm....

1) Trees don't lie
    2) Trees don't steal

Just one word for that post, dunce:

Inane.
    Anything you've done, can I do better?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    Leon said:

Dall-e 2 is still producing the most extraordinary images

From the prompt:

“A photo of kittens stressing over a spreadsheet in an office”

Or, Russian generals looking at list of destroyed or abandoned kit.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Game. Over.

We did in 1997.
    We didn't. We had to vote again in 2001.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

And he will.

Mike Smithson has said a few times, a crushing by election defeat I think Eastbourne, prompted the Tory Party to dump PM who had just delivered two landslide majorities depriving her chance to defend her majority. By your measurement a Tory drop from 47% into the 20’s heaps similar pressure on Boris.
    It absolutely would, not least because it would show they are losing to both Labour and the Lib Dems.

But that doesn't mean it's "must win" for Boris. It's not - a narrow defeat would be a relatively good result and a medium-sized defeat quite sustainable. It's SKS who must win.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,248
    edited April 2022
    Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Game. Over.

We did in 1997.
    Actually, we didn't elect a two term Labour Government in 1997 - we did so in 2001. I know that's rather pedantic, but still.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Confusing
    Only to you, Pet, only to you.
    When scan reading I noted two posts - one on a Penis Size by country survey, and another this intelligence by country and then what even is intelligence debate.

Happily nobody has asked if there is a correlation between the two.
    Don't give HYUFD ideas. He will only find some web site about black mens penis size and determine there is an inverse relationship to IQ and tell us it must be a fact cos it was on the internet.
  • Options
    “Painting of the orange cat Otto von Garfield, Count of Bismarck-Schönhausen, Duke of Lauenburg, Minister-President of Prussia. Depicted wearing a Prussian Pickelhaube and eating his favorite meal - lasagna.”

• Options

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Game. Over.

We did in 1997.
    Actually, we didn't elect a two term Labour Government in 1997 - we did so in 2001. I know that's rather pedantic, but still.
    2001 guaranteed the third term.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,360
    Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Game. Over.

We did in 1997.
    True, though it needn't have been a three term government.

So. Suppose the Conservatives do end up in opposition in 2024. Does the party seek to please itself, or please the voters it needs to win back? Only one strategy works, but the other one feels so good...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I hope so. But let's see what the manifesto has. They might play things safe if they have a lead going in. Just the remotest acquaintance with competence and integrity might be judged to be sufficient.
    CGT aligned with income tax rates as well.
  • Options

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Game. Over.

We did in 1997.
    Strictly speaking, we've never elected a two term Labour government, as we give them a third term in 2005.
  • Options
    When I first read the title I thought it said BJO and I thought for him it was a must lose for Starmer
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,858
    Labour source: "Any Conservative MP considering voting to block this investigation would be voting for a cover up. They should reflect on the mess they got themselves into over Owen Paterson before falling into line."

Which is of course all part of the political strategy by Lab.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1516425154691309569
  • Options
    If Labour is elected again I think it will be for a long period.

Demographics favour them and will do so the longer they are in office.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

20 point Labour lead by the end of this year.

But on what basis? on the basis everyday people are suffering hideous energy and food costs, and crisis in their household budgets? Wouldn’t you rather smaller leads, on basis electorate feel it’s time for change, and no hideous credit crisis for voters? Following on from high energy bills is predicted low growth with high inflation - stagflation, and quite possible now a recession, meaning decent jobs lost and decent businesses lost forever. It would be preferable to achieve change of government without needing this degree of pain on our country?
    Britain is a naturally Conservative country, unfortunately, so it takes some time for the electorate to be reminded why they shouldn't vote Tory.
    But the Conservative Party is no longer Conservative. Fiscally it is opposite of conservatism. Right wing populism, short termist to extremes, built around the cult of a charismatic figurehead this is very different appeal than proper conservatism, thus repels conservative thinkers . For example, compare this cabinet to past Conservative governments - historically you would have the best people you could in there, regardless of the wing of the party or past remain support, not a zombie cabinet of brain dead praetorian guard around the glorious leader.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,090
    I don't think it matters which party forms the next government in terms of tax. The politics on it is very clear and we'll follow the same basic trajectory regardless of which party is elected.

That trajectory is that the NHS & Social Care Levy will be increased (towards 10% over time) and the proceeds will be split between cuts to income tax, funding the long-term trend of increases to NHS spending, and miscellaneous pet projects.

This isn't a question of ideology, good governance, or economic efficiency. It's a very simple calculus that income tax is much more unpopular than an NHS levy.
  • Options
    Is @MoonRabbit a Tory? Just interested
  • Options

Depends how they govern and make the big calls.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    MattW said:

Excellent news. That’s potentially 110 more fruit pickers. Or HGV drivers. Or something.

I’m sure those poor folk feel suitably levelled up, and are over the moon with their new sovereignty.

Well, that story got quite a lot of stuff added between the Newark Advertiser and City AM :smile: .

Most importantly Goodlife Foods are hardly in the top 10 private sector local employers, never mind being the top employer of all.

It's A Dutch multinational consolidating.

But they are still gagging to link everything to Brexit :-) . Give it time.

https://www.newarkadvertiser.co.uk/news/food-maker-to-move-production-overseas-with-loss-of-up-to-10-9249175/
    PROJECT FEAR!

The jobs haven't been lost, they were just a pre- Brexit mirage.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

OK, it is a view

I spent much of my career in adult remedial literacy.
    I am rarely believed when I relate the average standard of reading ability.
    Employers in particular. They never quite twigged before why introducing "simplified" paperwork led to drops in productivity. I had to break it to them gently that a huge proportion of their workforce were functionally illiterate.
    They knew very well how to use the forms they'd always used.
    Change the wording or position of the field however...

It is certainly a national scandal.

They don't have these problems in, say, Finland.
  • Options

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Game. Over.

We did in 1997.

So. Suppose the Conservatives do end up in opposition in 2024. Does the party seek to please itself, or please the voters it needs to win back? Only one strategy works, but the other one feels so good...
    A good question. The difference with 1997 is (a) Labour won't have anywhere near as big a majority, and (b) by the look of the polling CHB so approvingly posted, their voters will end up much more disappointed by an SKS first term than they were by Blair's first term.
  • Options
    Sorry kooky designers, you're screwed as well

"OMG #dalle is the ai singularity for creativity🤯

In 5 minutes, my kids were able to create a "chicken hat", a toilet car, puppy slippers and a chicken toilet 🤣

Post your dumbest product idea below and I'll use it to turn it into something people would want to buy."

https://twitter.com/PaulYacoubian/status/1514955904659173387?s=20&t=oqd3i0tQlbP9wsc-QZLLvA
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043

A fully signed up Lib Dem, or so they say.

With rather a large whiff of Tory. If it smells like a Tory, etc...
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,248
    edited April 2022
    ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Game. Over.

We did in 1997.
    Strictly speaking, we've never elected a two term Labour government, as we give them a third term in 2005.
    I'd suggest we elected a two term Labour Government in 2001 when we gave it a second term, and extended it to three terms in 2005. But I accept it's semantics.

Arguably we also did in 1966, albeit the first term was a short one, and 1950, albeit the second term was very short (Labour had a majority, though). It'd probably be courageous to count Feb-Oct 1974 as a term.
  • Options

Demographics always favour Labour, at first glance.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Game. Over.

We did in 1997.
    Except it didn't. Obvs.

Why would you vote Labour in Wakefield btw? Bit surprised to hear that.
  • Options
    "I started using #dalle 10 days ago. For the past 4 days, I've had vivid dreams, which I haven't had since I was a kid. It's quite wonderful. Am I'm rewiring my visual cortex?"

https://twitter.com/PaulYacoubian/status/1516173846893768704?s=20&t=oqd3i0tQlbP9wsc-QZLLvA

Will AI make us dream better?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Leon using DALLE-2...I bet it is like the ultimate boss guy out of the Southpark World of Warcraft episode.
  • Options

I don't think it matters which party forms the next government in terms of tax. The politics on it is very clear and we'll follow the same basic trajectory regardless of which party is elected.

That trajectory is that the NHS & Social Care Levy will be increased (towards 10% over time) and the proceeds will be split between cuts to income tax, funding the long-term trend of increases to NHS spending, and miscellaneous pet projects.

This isn't a question of ideology, good governance, or economic efficiency. It's a very simple calculus that income tax is much more unpopular than an NHS levy.

Wealth tax is interesting though. Will Labour risk it at the GE?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sorry kooky designers, you're screwed as well

"OMG #dalle is the ai singularity for creativity🤯

In 5 minutes, my kids were able to create a "chicken hat", a toilet car, puppy slippers and a chicken toilet 🤣

Post your dumbest product idea below and I'll use it to turn it into something people would want to buy."

https://twitter.com/PaulYacoubian/status/1514955904659173387?s=20&t=oqd3i0tQlbP9wsc-QZLLvA

Just saying but I think there might be flaw in the chicken toilet that might result in a visit to A and E and a difficult explanation.
  • Options
    “My 4yo wanted to see “a happy avocado and a banana getting married”

Remember, dall-e creates these images in 15 seconds
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,465

They need to start planning for what a Labour term would actually be like, and what would they do. For some reason known only to the general British public, the bar will always be set higher for Labour and the expectations steeper, therefore the threshold for disillusionment much easier to reach. People forgive the Tories a lot because the party has always been very adept, when in government, at scaring voters about the prospect of the alternative. Obviously easy when Corbyn was around but also managed under Ed Miliband.

Labour should therefore also be thinking about how it can improve its chances of a second term by getting people worried about a conservative government. "Privatising the NHS" isn't enough (though they should have a good opportunity to point to hospital waiting lists assuming they can get them down in 5 years). Nor will sleaze and lying because that will be associated in people's minds with a few individuals like Johnson, so some other residual bad memories that target the whole virus with a broader spectrum immune response might include:

- Prospect of more cuts in education, social care, policing
    - Don't believe their promises to cut tax, look at what they did last time
    - (if Labour can bring about a few improvements in cooperation with EU) back to holiday traffic jams and queues at passport control
    - Back to massive hikes in fuel and food prices
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Yes, that sounds like a good policy.

But I'm just wondering how much meat Labour will put in the pie for the GE. If the Cons keep Johnson and keep sliding it might be a matter of box clever and a little pledge card.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

A very balanced and thoughtful poster, who dislikes opposition party’s counting chickens before they are hatched.

How do goose stepping morons get in, complacency from moderates.

I am watching Pritti Patel live on telly in her triumphalist and smug form - and it’s confirming in me I am DEFINITELY NOT A TORY. Her expensive policy is a fig leaf to disguise her own failure to deal with the problem properly, which she can’t do because she is just not good enough. Her complete inability to work with continental partners and stakeholders, or to run her office effectively.

But Patel is only Home Secretary because Labour put up Corbyn and all those goons around him in two general elections!

To be fair, Coopers motor mouthed response might look great on paper, but absolute rubbish delivered like this.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Game. Over.

We did in 1997.

A good question. The difference with 1997 is (a) Labour won't have anywhere near as big a majority, and (b) by the look of the polling CHB so approvingly posted, their voters will end up much more disappointed by an SKS first term than they were by Blair's first term.
    It's incredibly hard to predict how a notional Starmer Government might be viewed in 2028. How's the economy looking? Many sleaze scandals? Any wars? Who's the Tory leader? Fun to speculate, but it is pretty wild speculation.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,388
    edited April 2022
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    edited April 2022
    darkage said:

MattW said:

Talking of Planning, there's an interesting little complicated issue brewing.

74 local authorities have restricted Plannign Apps - in some cases simly freezing a *lot* - because English Heritage have advised that there is a requirement to show that developments do not increase *nitrate* pollution.

Follows an ECJ ruling on a Dutch case from 2018. I have no idea what this has to do with UK housebuilding now. 60k houses delayed so far, it is estimated.

Summary here:
    https://www.housingtoday.co.uk/news/huge-extension-to-nutrient-neutrality-rules-threatens-thousands-of-new-homes/5116567.article

English Nature have sent out a 25 page advisory letter, including 13 Appendices.
    https://www.chichester.gov.uk/media/36219/Position-statement-on-Water-Neutrality-Sept-21-2021/pdf/Position_statement_on_Water_Neutrality_Sept_21_2021.pdf

Local Planning Authorities seem to have their heads spinning. Affected areas:

English Heritage? Surely not. Environment Agency / Natural England?

I'd have thought building on agricultural fields would reduce nitrate pollution in most cases.
    @MattW
    The issue here is Habitats legislation derived from EU law but now transposed in to UK law. It requires a 'likely significant effect' on certain protected sites to be ruled out before 'plans and projects' can proceed. The evolution of case law on the subject has meant that this applies to very abstract situations - eg car exhaust fumes from a additional vehicular movements associated with one car on a forest 20 miles away where environmental degradation has taken place. Because the cause of the environmental degradation is uncertain, a likely significant effect cannot be ruled out, and whilst this uncertainty exists, planning permission cannot be granted. That is how the courts have applied the law, and decision makers (Council's and planning Inspectors) have to follow, even though it often feels wildly disproportionate and manifestly absurd.

I have not had direct experience of the current nitrates stuff - but I understand is rooted in various litigation against housing development where Natural Englands advice on how impacts can be mitigated was challenged in the courts, the result being that there is no way for development to go ahead. The consequence is that Natural England have effectively issued a directive against such housing development in large parts of England (about 70 local authorities) and any permissions granted against this advice could be overturned in court.

The government have told the Council's asking them to find a solution, and given them each £100k to do so. I think the idea is that, for each area, you set up some kind of mitigation plan to neutralise the impact on a case by case basis, but obviously that is going to be subject to challenge on a case by case basis. Every legal challenge brings the barristers etc in and costs big money - £100k won't go very far.

OK, so this is effectively a 'precautionary principle' where because you can't prove something won't have an effect it prevents you from doing anything at all. Hmmm.

I know that we are now moving to 'Biodiversity Net Gain' for a lot of development, though. The developers have to show that they can either make improvements within the site itself or they have to pay indulgences to someone to improve biodiversity elsewhere. Of course, this is all designed by DEFRA to be as arbitrary as possible and can be gamed by destroying as much as possible first (though this is not new, developers often "clear" a site before applying for permission).

Common sense seems to be lacking throughout.

The only thing that seems to get instant approval round here is yet another massive 1km long shed.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Cooper doing a good job now against Patel.

Though I guess that’s not too difficult
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Leon using DALLE-2...I bet it is like the ultimate boss guy out of the Southpark World of Warcraft episode.

There are serious tech CEOs on Twiter raving about dall-e - "the Cambrian explosion of AI creativity" - and saying they are completely addicted to making images, it is like being a child again, and it is akin to the first invention of the internet: it is that important

There are also many artists writing obituaries for their careers:

https://nicksaraev.com/dall-e-2-the-death-of-art/

"AI is now definitively better than human artists in almost every sense of the word. Do you see the writing on the wall?"

Every day dall-e 2 produces something completely WTF
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,360
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Game. Over.

We did in 1997.

That's why the Conservative response is potentially significant in a way that Hague (bless him) wasn't. However, my hunch is that, once party members get involved, the post-defeat self indulgence (JRM would just be too ridiculous, but you get the idea) is hard to avoid.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Applicant said:

Just as Labour can go back to centrism, so can the Tories.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Game. Over.

We did in 1997.
    Except it didn't. Obvs.

Because Boris should no longer be PM (due to imposing a whole load of damaging rules which he knew were unnecessary, this being proven by his feeling safe to ignore them). Therefore at a by-election it's a free hit - SKS has his chance to convince me to vote for him at a general election which he hasn't done yet, but at a by-election it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Leon said:

“My 4yo wanted to see “a happy avocado and a banana getting married”

Remember, dall-e creates these images in 15 seconds

Which one has a cervix?

What sort of sick woke moralising are you pushing here?
  • Options

PROJECT FEAR!

The jobs haven't been lost, they were just a pre- Brexit mirage.

They have not been lost. We know exactly where they are.

In the EU...
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Applicant said:

Just as Labour can go back to centrism, so can the Tories.

Can they?

The Tories now are if they’d kicked out Blair from the parry altogether in 1994
  • Options
    Theresa May is 🔥 Priti Patel in the Commons over the Rwanda policy- says she doesn’t support it, and warns it will lead to an increase in the trafficking of women and children.
    https://twitter.com/IsabelHardman/status/1516430450616672256
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Great intervention from May.

Patel clearly not carrying her own benches here.

We can’t have detail on the policy because the gangs will exploit it? Wtf?

Talk about half baked, it’s come to the table with a pulse. Send it back to the kitchen and demand a different chef!
  • Options
    Cooper: "The policies she's announced today are unworkable, unethical and extortionate." Says Home Office hasn't even negotiated a cost of each person in Rwanda: "the £120 million is the eyewatering cost of a press release."
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1516429691921518600
  • Options
    Anyone watch Blair vs Brown on BBC? I’ve watched it a couple of times now.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Scott_xP said:

Theresa May is 🔥 Priti Patel in the Commons over the Rwanda policy- says she doesn’t support it, and warns it will lead to an increase in the trafficking of women and children.
    https://twitter.com/IsabelHardman/status/1516430450616672256

And she is absolutely right. A ridiculous policy whipped up to distract everyone from her own failings.

And yet all she does is point a finger at the existing Labour government. How long have the tories been in charge? 12 odd years?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,639

Talk about half baked, it’s come to the table with a pulse. Send it back to the kitchen and demand a different chef!

Not oven ready?
  • Options
    Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Game. Over.

We did in 1997.
    Except it didn't. Obvs.

Because Boris should no longer be PM (due to imposing a whole load of damaging rules which he knew were unnecessary, this being proven by his feeling safe to ignore them). Therefore at a by-election it's a free hit - SKS has his chance to convince me to vote for him at a general election which he hasn't done yet, but at a by-election it doesn't matter.
    I see. So not the hypocritical rule breaking or the lying to parliament. For you he should go for imposing too much lockdown. Interesting.

But Labour were if anything more prudent/restrictive on that. So if I felt like you I reckon I'd be voting for Tice's party. What's it called? Refuk, I think, something like that.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,586

One is reminded of the dinner in 'You Only Live Twice':

“a large lobster whose head and tail had been left as a dainty ornament to the sliced pink flesh in the centre. Bond set to with his chopsticks. He was surprised to find that the flesh was raw. He was even more surprised when the head of his lobster began moving off his dish and, with questing antennae and scrabbling feet, tottered off across the table. ‘Good God, Tiger!’ Bond said, aghast. ‘The damn thing’s alive!’”
  • Options
    So that’s a previous Tory Home Secretary & the current Home Office permanent secretary challenging the Rwanda policy, alongside absolutely everyone you’d expect to do so.
    https://twitter.com/gabyhinsliff/status/1516431246091591685
  • Options
    Leon said:

“Painting of the orange cat Otto von Garfield, Count of Bismarck-Schönhausen, Duke of Lauenburg, Minister-President of Prussia. Depicted wearing a Prussian Pickelhaube and eating his favorite meal - lasagna.”

Love Otto. He looks Prussian!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Game. Over.

We did in 1997.
    Except it didn't. Obvs.

I see. So not the hypocritical rule breaking or the lying to parliament. For you he should go for imposing too much lockdown. Interesting.

But Labour were if anything more prudent/restrictive on that. So if I felt like you I reckon I'd be voting for Tice's party. What's it called? Refuk, I think, something like that.
    I object much less to someone breaking a pointless rule than enforcing one, yes. As for the lying to parliament - of course he did, he's a politician.

On balance I'd much rather have had SKS in 10DS in 2020 than Boris - sure, the media may still have cheerled for lockdown but there would have been an oposition worthy of the name.

But I won't be voting in 2024 based on what happened in 2020.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

kinabalu said:

And dividend tax. And abolition of the individual allowances for those things (interest, dividends, rent). And retracting the NI increase.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

So that’s a previous Tory Home Secretary & the current Home Office permanent secretary challenging the Rwanda policy, alongside absolutely everyone you’d expect to do so.
    https://twitter.com/gabyhinsliff/status/1516431246091591685

Thos two are part of "absolutely everyone you’d expect to do so", duh.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Not sure it is a Pickelhaube ... not spiky enough?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Those IMF growth predictions are pretty disappointing.

If you deflate by population growth (to get a rough per capita view), the UK is tipped to be the *weakest* performer in the G7 for the period 2020-2023.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

One is reminded of the dinner in 'You Only Live Twice':

“a large lobster whose head and tail had been left as a dainty ornament to the sliced pink flesh in the centre. Bond set to with his chopsticks. He was surprised to find that the flesh was raw. He was even more surprised when the head of his lobster began moving off his dish and, with questing antennae and scrabbling feet, tottered off across the table. ‘Good God, Tiger!’ Bond said, aghast. ‘The damn thing’s alive!’”
    On reflection, it does go on ...

"Tiger hissed impatiently, 'Really, Bondo-san. I am much disappointed in you. You fail test after test. I sincerely hope you will show improvement during the rest of our journey. Now eat up and stop being squeamish. This is a very great Japanese delicacy.'

James Bond bowed ironically. 'Shimata!' he said. 'I have made a mistake. It crossed my mind that honourable Japanese lobster might not like being eaten alive. Thank you for correcting the unworthy thought.'"
This discussion has been closed.