Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Wakefield is an absolute must-win for both SKS and BOJO – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Leon said:

Dall-e 2 is still producing the most extraordinary images

From the prompt:

“A photo of kittens stressing over a spreadsheet in an office”

Strikes me, those under threat from this are the “stock photographers”.

Leon’s “art work” coming to click bait in due course.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Afternoon all :)

Used a rare day off to visit a cafe in Kennington (a bit overrated) and go to Harvey Nicks (as you do).

Those who assert life is "back to normal" after the coronavirus forget it's not just a question of crowds and masks - it's the gaps in the retail estate, the physical scars of the virus if you prefer (as distinct from the mental scars which are of a very different kind) which remind us something fundamental has happened.

Walking from Vauxhall to Elephant today and even down Sloane Street and Knightsbridge, there are gaps, empty units, shuttered businesses, shattered lives (perhaps overstated but each closure tells a story or stories).

Those who seek to equate the 2020s to the 1920s may want to consider for all the wealthy were flapping, roaring and dancing the charleston, it may not have been such a fun time for the poor and those left wounded and damaged by the war. There's a romanticised notion of the 1920s (as there is of a different kind for the 1930s) which as with all such things doesn't sit well with the reality.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,194

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1516386227427192836?t=YFJyDz6Wd9IhKQE1ZzV1sA

Between the Labour Party and the Conservative Party, which do Britons most associate with lower taxes?

Labour: 36%
    Conservative: 16%
    Neither: 29%

Respondents aged 35-to-44 are most likely to say Labour stands for lower taxes (49%)

Game. Over.

Feels very much like a one-term Labour government coming.
    For starters yes. We can't elect a two term Labour government sadly.
    We did in 1997.
    True, though it needn't have been a three term government.

So. Suppose the Conservatives do end up in opposition in 2024. Does the party seek to please itself, or please the voters it needs to win back? Only one strategy works, but the other one feels so good...
    A good question. The difference with 1997 is (a) Labour won't have anywhere near as big a majority, and (b) by the look of the polling CHB so approvingly posted, their voters will end up much more disappointed by an SKS first term than they were by Blair's first term.
    That's why the Conservative response is potentially significant in a way that Hague (bless him) wasn't. However, my hunch is that, once party members get involved, the post-defeat self indulgence (JRM would just be too ridiculous, but you get the idea) is hard to avoid.
    Yep, where the Tories go having succumbed to Boris Johnson and let him have his wicked way with them is an interesting and important question.

Will they return to more traditional centre right politics, sound money, smaller state, individual aspiration etc? Or will they double down on the Nationalistic Right Populism?

Who they choose as leader will tell us, I guess.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

So that’s a previous Tory Home Secretary & the current Home Office permanent secretary challenging the Rwanda policy, alongside absolutely everyone you’d expect to do so.
    https://twitter.com/gabyhinsliff/status/1516431246091591685

Thos two are part of "absolutely everyone you’d expect to do so", duh.
    She is not carrying her back benches here Applicant.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,534
    edited April 2022

darkage said:

MattW said:

Talking of Planning, there's an interesting little complicated issue brewing.

74 local authorities have restricted Plannign Apps - in some cases simly freezing a *lot* - because English Heritage have advised that there is a requirement to show that developments do not increase *nitrate* pollution.

Follows an ECJ ruling on a Dutch case from 2018. I have no idea what this has to do with UK housebuilding now. 60k houses delayed so far, it is estimated.

Summary here:
    https://www.housingtoday.co.uk/news/huge-extension-to-nutrient-neutrality-rules-threatens-thousands-of-new-homes/5116567.article

English Nature have sent out a 25 page advisory letter, including 13 Appendices.
    https://www.chichester.gov.uk/media/36219/Position-statement-on-Water-Neutrality-Sept-21-2021/pdf/Position_statement_on_Water_Neutrality_Sept_21_2021.pdf

Local Planning Authorities seem to have their heads spinning. Affected areas:

English Heritage? Surely not. Environment Agency / Natural England?

I'd have thought building on agricultural fields would reduce nitrate pollution in most cases.
    @MattW
    The issue here is Habitats legislation derived from EU law but now transposed in to UK law. It requires a 'likely significant effect' on certain protected sites to be ruled out before 'plans and projects' can proceed. The evolution of case law on the subject has meant that this applies to very abstract situations - eg car exhaust fumes from a additional vehicular movements associated with one car on a forest 20 miles away where environmental degradation has taken place. Because the cause of the environmental degradation is uncertain, a likely significant effect cannot be ruled out, and whilst this uncertainty exists, planning permission cannot be granted. That is how the courts have applied the law, and decision makers (Council's and planning Inspectors) have to follow, even though it often feels wildly disproportionate and manifestly absurd.

I have not had direct experience of the current nitrates stuff - but I understand is rooted in various litigation against housing development where Natural Englands advice on how impacts can be mitigated was challenged in the courts, the result being that there is no way for development to go ahead. The consequence is that Natural England have effectively issued a directive against such housing development in large parts of England (about 70 local authorities) and any permissions granted against this advice could be overturned in court.

The government have told the Council's asking them to find a solution, and given them each £100k to do so. I think the idea is that, for each area, you set up some kind of mitigation plan to neutralise the impact on a case by case basis, but obviously that is going to be subject to challenge on a case by case basis. Every legal challenge brings the barristers etc in and costs big money - £100k won't go very far.

OK, so this is effectively a 'precautionary principle' where because you can't prove something won't have an effect it prevents you from doing anything at all. Hmmm.

I know that we are now moving to 'Biodiversity Net Gain' for a lot of development, though. The developers have to show that they can either make improvements within the site itself or they have to pay indulgences to someone to improve biodiversity elsewhere. Of course, this is all designed by DEFRA to be as arbitrary as possible and can be gamed by destroying as much as possible first (though this is not new, developers often "clear" a site before applying for permission).

Common sense seems to be lacking throughout.

The only thing that seems to get instant approval round here is yet another massive 1km long shed.
    Agreed. It seems to be a clusterfuck. My diagnosis is English Nature not able to bit the bullet, unless their new enviromental boss has made a decision that they may risk lawsuits the other way eg from some enviro charities who don't care if they make houses more expensive. Or perhaps a Judicial Review from Great Jumping Jolyon.

Some similarities to the Dartford Warbler et al SPA complications, perhaps?

Imo it may a Gove policy decision to cut through the crap.

There are still ways to mitigate, as UK planning law is quite flexible in seeking practicality (I am mainly concerned with self-builders), but a worry for larger developers. And much time and money wasted on paperwork.

There's a convo amongst self-builders here, with one or two having bought plots suddenly being left high and dry.
    https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/26745-ban-on-new-residential-development-across-74-uk-local-planning-authorities/
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Great intervention from May.

Patel clearly not carrying her own benches here.

We can’t have detail on the policy because the gangs will exploit it? Wtf?

Talk about half baked, it’s come to the table with a pulse. Send it back to the kitchen and demand a different chef!

Not oven ready?
    I’ll repeat the main take out. We can’t have detail on the policy because the gangs will exploit it?

Wtf?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,438

Leon said:

“Painting of the orange cat Otto von Garfield, Count of Bismarck-Schönhausen, Duke of Lauenburg, Minister-President of Prussia. Depicted wearing a Prussian Pickelhaube and eating his favorite meal - lasagna.”

Love Otto. He looks Prussian!
    Well, desire to dominate territory, disdain for inferior others...

That's pretty much a shared philosophy, isn't it?
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

So that’s a previous Tory Home Secretary & the current Home Office permanent secretary challenging the Rwanda policy, alongside absolutely everyone you’d expect to do so.

Too busy working to watch or listen, but I'll take your word for it. That would rather challenge the idea that the Tory party has been reduced to a spineless populist non-conservative party that will inevitably elect a mini-Boris whenever he leaves, doesn't it?
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Too busy working to watch or listen, but I'll take your word for it. That would rather challenge the idea that the Tory party has been reduced to a spineless populist non-conservative party that will inevitably elect a mini-Boris whenever he leaves, doesn't it?
    It’s about 50/50 on this. Maybe 40/60 against now she don’t have David Davis either.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,242
    kinabalu said:

I don't think it matters which party forms the next government in terms of tax. The politics on it is very clear and we'll follow the same basic trajectory regardless of which party is elected.

That trajectory is that the NHS & Social Care Levy will be increased (towards 10% over time) and the proceeds will be split between cuts to income tax, funding the long-term trend of increases to NHS spending, and miscellaneous pet projects.

This isn't a question of ideology, good governance, or economic efficiency. It's a very simple calculus that income tax is much more unpopular than an NHS levy.

Wealth tax is interesting though. Will Labour risk it at the GE?
    The problems with a wealth tax are that:
    1. You've used the word "tax".
    2. People get scared when you tell them you will tax their savings.
    3. It will be incredibly easy to attack in an election campaign - think Dementia Tax, only much, much worse.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Scott_xP said:

Theresa May is 🔥 Priti Patel in the Commons over the Rwanda policy- says she doesn’t support it, and warns it will lead to an increase in the trafficking of women and children.
    https://twitter.com/IsabelHardman/status/1516430450616672256

And she is absolutely right. A ridiculous policy whipped up to distract everyone from her own failings.

And yet all she does is point a finger at the existing Labour government. How long have the tories been in charge? 12 odd years?
    iirc only single males would be shipped to Rwanda. It struck me that the gangs will simply tell lone males that they need to hook up with a woman with children. I'm sure they can help with that for a few quid more.
  • Options
    Hey @stodge! :)

I didn't know you were another Londoner
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Leon said:

From the prompt:

I agree on this. I've an App I've developed and I've really struggled to find an image to use with it as it is quite a niche area. The image needs to be quite casual rather than professional which also makes it harder. I have one image that was freely available but rather low image quality. I hope with Dall-e that I will be able to type in what I am looking for and get something suitable. Stock photography is going to be in trouble. People will still want art hand crafted as that has value attached to it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,299
    stodge said:

Walking from Vauxhall to Elephant today and even down Sloane Street and Knightsbridge, there are gaps, empty units, shuttered businesses, shattered lives (perhaps overstated but each closure tells a story or stories).

Prayers for Hermes.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,738

Great intervention from May.

Patel clearly not carrying her own benches here.

We can’t have detail on the policy because the gangs will exploit it? Wtf?

Talk about half baked, it’s come to the table with a pulse. Send it back to the kitchen and demand a different chef!

Not oven ready?
    I’ll repeat the main take out. We can’t have detail on the policy because the gangs will exploit it?

Wtf?
    Why anyone believes a word they say I do not know. This policy is simply all about getting favourable media headlines and further deepening the rights distrust of the courts and the system. Which is all very weird as they are the ones who run the courts and system.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

stodge said:

Prayers for Hermes.
    I think they're called Evri now
  • Options
    As far as Wakefield is concerned, let's go beyond the obvious.

A straight 10% swing from Conservative to Labour would, on 2019 GE turnout, give Labour a 5,500 majority and I would guess that or anything better than that would be a good start for Labour (OB & S had a 10.2% swing). Starmer would be thrilled (doubtless) with a 15% swing or anything larger as that would indicate the direct switching of votes from Conservative to Labour which would be what is required for a Labour GE victory.

The offer option is Labour wins not because it's popular but because the Conservatives aren't. In theory, Labour could win 40% with the Conservatives crashing to 30% and strong showings from the Yorkshire Party (15%?), the LDs (10%?) or other minor parties.

That would be a decent swing from Conservative to Labour but wouldn't suggest huge confidence in Labour but rather disillusionment/anger with the Conservatives. That said, losing up to a third of your last GE vote doesn't augur well for the next GE and this would still leave the Conservatives staring at losses but he notion might be these votes could still be retrieved with changes in policy, personnel.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    stodge said:

Used a rare day off to visit a cafe in Kennington (a bit overrated) and go to Harvey Nicks (as you do).

Those who assert life is "back to normal" after the coronavirus forget it's not just a question of crowds and masks - it's the gaps in the retail estate, the physical scars of the virus if you prefer (as distinct from the mental scars which are of a very different kind) which remind us something fundamental has happened.

Those who seek to equate the 2020s to the 1920s may want to consider for all the wealthy were flapping, roaring and dancing the charleston, it may not have been such a fun time for the poor and those left wounded and damaged by the war. There's a romanticised notion of the 1920s (as there is of a different kind for the 1930s) which as with all such things doesn't sit well with the reality.

"empty units, shuttered businesses, shattered lives"

The north of England, transplanted to that London.
  • Options

Leon said:

“Painting of the orange cat Otto von Garfield, Count of Bismarck-Schönhausen, Duke of Lauenburg, Minister-President of Prussia. Depicted wearing a Prussian Pickelhaube and eating his favorite meal - lasagna.”

Well, desire to dominate territory, disdain for inferior others...

That's pretty much a shared philosophy, isn't it?
    It didn’t mean it cat terms but looks so Second Rich!

• Options

Hey @stodge! :)

I didn't know you were another Londoner

Cor blimey, luvvaduck, I should coco, me old cock sparrer...

I would have thought the references to Newham and East Ham might have been a giveaway but ne'er mind. Saw a couple of Labour posters in Walworth Road and then remembered I thought that's where Labour used to have their HQ - I don't know where they live now. The Conservatives were in Great Smith Street and the LDs were in Cowley Street but I know Labour ended up in Millbank Tower by 1997.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

What's the current state of thinking of the PB Le Pen rampers?

@MrEd still backing her?

Is your question for betting purposes or for your usual stuff?
    I'm merely asking whether you are still backing her: you were tipping her the other day –
    even saying it was an outright bet not a value trade.

Your money still good?
    Yes, I think her odds are better than the netting implies.
    Some of us are still paying off bookmakers after your last certainty. Trump!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,169
    AlistairM said:

Leon said:

From the prompt:

I agree on this. I've an App I've developed and I've really struggled to find an image to use with it as it is quite a niche area. The image needs to be quite casual rather than professional which also makes it harder. I have one image that was freely available but rather low image quality. I hope with Dall-e that I will be able to type in what I am looking for and get something suitable. Stock photography is going to be in trouble. People will still want art hand crafted as that has value attached to it.
    So many areas of art and design are lethally menaced by dall-e 2, and its superior successors (and they will come, soon)

But yes, one obvious victim is stock photography. Dall-e 2 will produce BETTER stock photos, immediately, for pennies

I've just seen a video where dall-e paints an entire story told by a 5 year old child: making a book for the child out of the child's wild dreams

So producers of art for kids are a bit fecked, as well. Every child will be her own illustrator

And on, and on
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I don't think it matters which party forms the next government in terms of tax. The politics on it is very clear and we'll follow the same basic trajectory regardless of which party is elected.

That trajectory is that the NHS & Social Care Levy will be increased (towards 10% over time) and the proceeds will be split between cuts to income tax, funding the long-term trend of increases to NHS spending, and miscellaneous pet projects.

This isn't a question of ideology, good governance, or economic efficiency. It's a very simple calculus that income tax is much more unpopular than an NHS levy.

Wealth tax is interesting though. Will Labour risk it at the GE?
    The problems with a wealth tax are that:
    1. You've used the word "tax".
    2. People get scared when you tell them you will tax their savings.
    3. It will be incredibly easy to attack in an election campaign - think Dementia Tax, only much, much worse.
    Yes. I agree. It's a political risk which I'll be surprised if they take. Ditto on other 'difficult' things, eg gender, private schools. I'm expecting them (or "us" rather since I'm a member) to be cagey. Policies will only see the light of day if they poll well with the sort of voters who'll decide the GE in FPTP terms. These voters (imo) being people who aren't really Tories who voted Tory last time because of Brexit and Jezza.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Scott_xP said:

Theresa May is 🔥 Priti Patel in the Commons over the Rwanda policy- says she doesn’t support it, and warns it will lead to an increase in the trafficking of women and children.

And she is absolutely right. A ridiculous policy whipped up to distract everyone from her own failings.

And yet all she does is point a finger at the existing Labour government. How long have the tories been in charge? 12 odd years?
    iirc only single males would be shipped to Rwanda. It struck me that the gangs will simply tell lone males that they need to hook up with a woman with children. I'm sure they can help with that for a few quid more.
    T May and others have tried to nail her down to a no women n children rule but she won't
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    edited April 2022
    @francska1
    Last night state TV's Vladimir Solovyov suggested genocide accusations made against Moscow were aimed at preparing British public opinion for a nuclear strike by the UK on Russia

https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1516341841288957953
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

T May and others have tried to nail her down to a no women n children rule but she won't
    Considering we find it hard for people to even define who is a woman and who is a child, that seems reasonable.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Two good Twitter accounts for exploring dall-e

"Used a generative tool in private beta and it's very good! My prompt was "Bowl of soup in the style of Aubrey Beardsley". Expected the AI to make Art Nouveaux-style illustrations OF soup, but got illustrations IN the soup. Looks doable IRL with a needle tip bottle & garnish🍃"

https://twitter.com/djbaskin/status/1497763195187982337?s=20&t=oqd3i0tQlbP9wsc-QZLLvA

"The greatest part about #dalle is that two people can ask for the same exact prompt and you will never get the same output twice. Every image is a snowflake."

https://twitter.com/abran/status/1515690776902225927?s=20&t=oqd3i0tQlbP9wsc-QZLLvA

https://twitter.com/abran/status/1515476213367721987?s=20&t=oqd3i0tQlbP9wsc-QZLLvA
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Scott_xP said:

Load the boats with women and children instead as business model? Surely the Homsec has war gamed that obvious one.

It’s not been as good an hour for Patel as I thought it would.

We can’t have the details, as it would help the gangs. The suspicion all around the house she don’t actually have detail that proves it actually works reducing crossings, nor that it can’t be a costly failure. So in absence of that, she’s down to just right wing populism in terms of support, she is leaning on “the opposition don’t have a policy, they don’t want this sorted out” and “labour are out of touch with the people” coming from behind her.

In fact she’s talking about the problem as the opposition would, talking about the gangs being evil and need tackling through work with our international partners. It’s so explicitly a cover up of getting nowhere in years.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,179

When I first read the title I thought it said BJO and I thought for him it was a must lose for Starmer

BJ or BJO, have you ever seen them together in the same room?
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Well, that story got quite a lot of stuff added between the Newark Advertiser and City AM :smile: .

Most importantly Goodlife Foods are hardly in the top 10 private sector local employers, never mind being the top employer of all.

It's A Dutch multinational consolidating.

But they are still gagging to link everything to Brexit :-) . Give it time.

https://www.newarkadvertiser.co.uk/news/food-maker-to-move-production-overseas-with-loss-of-up-to-10-9249175/

PROJECT FEAR!

The jobs haven't been lost, they were just a pre- Brexit mirage.

Subsidiary of a Danish multinational, which was itself bought by a Dutch multinational in 2015.

Closed one site and m

darkage said:

MattW said:

Talking of Planning, there's an interesting little complicated issue brewing.

74 local authorities have restricted Plannign Apps - in some cases simly freezing a *lot* - because English Heritage have advised that there is a requirement to show that developments do not increase *nitrate* pollution.

Follows an ECJ ruling on a Dutch case from 2018. I have no idea what this has to do with UK housebuilding now. 60k houses delayed so far, it is estimated.

Summary here:
    https://www.housingtoday.co.uk/news/huge-extension-to-nutrient-neutrality-rules-threatens-thousands-of-new-homes/5116567.article

English Nature have sent out a 25 page advisory letter, including 13 Appendices.
    https://www.chichester.gov.uk/media/36219/Position-statement-on-Water-Neutrality-Sept-21-2021/pdf/Position_statement_on_Water_Neutrality_Sept_21_2021.pdf

Local Planning Authorities seem to have their heads spinning. Affected areas:

English Heritage? Surely not. Environment Agency / Natural England?

I'd have thought building on agricultural fields would reduce nitrate pollution in most cases.
    @MattW
    The issue here is Habitats legislation derived from EU law but now transposed in to UK law. It requires a 'likely significant effect' on certain protected sites to be ruled out before 'plans and projects' can proceed. The evolution of case law on the subject has meant that this applies to very abstract situations - eg car exhaust fumes from a additional vehicular movements associated with one car on a forest 20 miles away where environmental degradation has taken place. Because the cause of the environmental degradation is uncertain, a likely significant effect cannot be ruled out, and whilst this uncertainty exists, planning permission cannot be granted. That is how the courts have applied the law, and decision makers (Council's and planning Inspectors) have to follow, even though it often feels wildly disproportionate and manifestly absurd.

I have not had direct experience of the current nitrates stuff - but I understand is rooted in various litigation against housing development where Natural Englands advice on how impacts can be mitigated was challenged in the courts, the result being that there is no way for development to go ahead. The consequence is that Natural England have effectively issued a directive against such housing development in large parts of England (about 70 local authorities) and any permissions granted against this advice could be overturned in court.

The government have told the Council's asking them to find a solution, and given them each £100k to do so. I think the idea is that, for each area, you set up some kind of mitigation plan to neutralise the impact on a case by case basis, but obviously that is going to be subject to challenge on a case by case basis. Every legal challenge brings the barristers etc in and costs big money - £100k won't go very far.

OK, so this is effectively a 'precautionary principle' where because you can't prove something won't have an effect it prevents you from doing anything at all. Hmmm.

I know that we are now moving to 'Biodiversity Net Gain' for a lot of development, though. The developers have to show that they can either make improvements within the site itself or they have to pay indulgences to someone to improve biodiversity elsewhere. Of course, this is all designed by DEFRA to be as arbitrary as possible and can be gamed by destroying as much as possible first (though this is not new, developers often "clear" a site before applying for permission).

Common sense seems to be lacking throughout.

The only thing that seems to get instant approval round here is yet another massive 1km long shed.
    Sorry - Natural England. English Nature was rebranded to that.

English Heritage was my brain-blip.
  • Options

@francska1
    Last night state TV's Vladimir Solovyov suggested genocide accusations made against Moscow were aimed at preparing British public opinion for a nuclear strike by the UK on Russia

Madder each night.

He will be the full David Icke by the end of April, declaring lizards from Pluto are running Downing Street.
  • Options
    stodge said:

That honestly surprises me. Everywhere in London that I have been, recently, looks totally back to normal, if not somewhat improved by the new variety

And the proportion of empty retail outlets, nationwide, is 14% of the total, pre-pandemic it was 12%, so the stats ALSO say that things are nearly back to normal

(that was in the FT this morning, talking about a boom in gyms in town centres)

But maybe rich southwest London is still suffering from the lack of foreign tourists?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,949
    Labour has now caught up to the Conservatives on who is the best government to manage the economy:

A Labour govt led by Keir Starmer: 27% (+5 from mid-March)
    A Conservative govt led by Boris Johnson: 27% (-4)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/04/19/labour-have-caught-tories-best-government-manage-e https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1516432911561592834/photo/1
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984
    stodge said:

A somewhat slanted take, although not unexpected from you, as you are given to perennial ostentatious pessimism. The West End is booming back – many of the really dull chains have been replaced by exciting and interesting independents.

Yet you see what you want to see. Odd.
  • Options
    Net favourability of senior politicians (13-14 April)

Keir Starmer: -22
    Sajid Javid: -29
    Rishi Sunak: -44
    Boris Johnson: -45
    Priti Patel: -58

Liz Truss: -27 (37% say don't know
    Nadine Dorries (8-10 Apr): -31 (47% say don't know

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/04/19/non-dom-scandal-and-covid-fines-send-johnson-and-s https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1516422512216887302/photo/1
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984

stodge said:

It's nothing like that. I have never heard such ludicrous hyperbole as I see every day on PB.
  • Options
    Exc: A Tory MP has sought his constituents’ views on which Conservative they think should replace Boris Johnson.

Sir Robert Goodwill outlines the potential merits of Sunak, Raab, Javid, Leadsom, Fox & Hunt, in correspondence sent after PM’s partygate fine.

Full text of email👇🏻 https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1516440700015022083/photo/1
  • Options
    Economist gets into geopolitics:

Robert Skidelsky
    @RSkidelsky
    Application by Finland to join NATO would be a catastrophic mistake. It would break its 1948 neutrality pact with Russia. the mutually accepted and observed basis of its independence [1 of 3]

https://twitter.com/RSkidelsky/status/1515612394562768898
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,383
    Leon said:

stodge said:

That honestly surprises me. Everywhere in London that I have been, recently, looks totally back to normal, if not somewhat improved by the new variety

And the proportion of empty retail outlets, nationwide, is 14% of the total, pre-pandemic it was 12%, so the stats ALSO say that things are nearly back to normal

But maybe rich southwest London is still suffering from the lack of foreign tourists?
    A number of the big, noticeable outfits have gone. COVID has accelerated the existing trend.
  • Options
    Nutter tory MP who seems to think the people smuggling is across the Thames rather than the Channel.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,616
  • Options
    Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

From the prompt:

So many areas of art and design are lethally menaced by dall-e 2, and its superior successors (and they will come, soon)

But yes, one obvious victim is stock photography. Dall-e 2 will produce BETTER stock photos, immediately, for pennies

I've just seen a video where dall-e paints an entire story told by a 5 year old child: making a book for the child out of the child's wild dreams

So producers of art for kids are a bit fecked, as well. Every child will be her own illustrator

And on, and on
    So automation destroying jobs, skills and crafts?

Progress is wonderful. If only it will just stop!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/04/19/non-dom-scandal-and-covid-fines-send-johnson-and-s https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1516422512216887302/photo/1

Keir Starmer the most popular politician in Britain.
  • Options
    A collapse in public confidence in economic management preceded each of last 3 changes in govt:
    Winter of discontent (1978) ushers in Thatcher (1979)
    ERM crisis (1992) ushers in Blair (1997)
    Global financial crisis (2007-8) ushers in Coalition (2010)
    Cost of living crisis next?

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1516441802550693889
  • Options
    Leon said:

I don't go to North London because that's where the two-headed troll people live (so I've been told). Perhaps you have the same notion about Vauxhall if you are calling it "rich south west London"?

Expressing a national figure tells you one thing - I would argue the proportion of empty retail within London has risen - it may well have fallen in other areas, I can't tell. We also know some retail space has been converted to residential so that might also be a little misleading.

There are clear signs tourists are returning - passing through central London there were plenty about which is no bad thing especially for the main central areas.

As for the boom in gyms, perhaps it's an easy way to use retail space which would otherwise be empty. If we are seeing landlords reducing rents to sensible levels, that would be a step forward. I have seen these 24-hour gyms which you can access at 4am though why anyone would want to is, as with much else in this life it would seem, beyond my ken.

• Options
    Vauxhall? Rich South West London? Wut?
  • Options

stodge said:

It's nothing like that. I have never heard such ludicrous hyperbole as I see every day on PB.
    Indeed - that description leaves out the gibbering zombies and the rabid wild haggis that infest London.
  • Options

Those IMF growth predictions are pretty disappointing.

If you deflate by population growth (to get a rough per capita view), the UK is tipped to be the *weakest* performer in the G7 for the period 2020-2023.

Brexit?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,630
    Leon said:

"Used a generative tool in private beta and it's very good! My prompt was "Bowl of soup in the style of Aubrey Beardsley". Expected the AI to make Art Nouveaux-style illustrations OF soup, but got illustrations IN the soup. Looks doable IRL with a needle tip bottle & garnish🍃"

https://twitter.com/djbaskin/status/1497763195187982337?s=20&t=oqd3i0tQlbP9wsc-QZLLvA

"The greatest part about #dalle is that two people can ask for the same exact prompt and you will never get the same output twice. Every image is a snowflake."

https://twitter.com/abran/status/1515690776902225927?s=20&t=oqd3i0tQlbP9wsc-QZLLvA

https://twitter.com/abran/status/1515476213367721987?s=20&t=oqd3i0tQlbP9wsc-QZLLvA

@leon you have burst two of my preconceptions about you, maybe because of all your travel, but I thought your girls were older teenagers plus the other day you mentioned taking the dog for a walk. Where did the dog come from and what happens to it when you travel so much.
  • Options

A somewhat slanted take, although not unexpected from you, as you are given to perennial ostentatious pessimism. The West End is booming back – many of the really dull chains have been replaced by exciting and interesting independents.

Yet you see what you want to see. Odd.

Apart from the tedious ad hom attack, which immediately tells me I've won the argument, it's the retail off the beaten track which is suffering most from lack of footfall.

To be fair, in East Ham High Street, we continue to see any closed retail units rapidly re-purposed and re-configured suggesting there's still a strong entrepreneurial dynamic out there so I wouldn't say the High Street is dead but nor would I say it is now what it was pre-Coronavirus.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Not sure it is a Pickelhaube ... not spiky enough?
    It’s true. Dall-E has failed. It’s just given us a second rich provincial station master eating his tea.
  • Options

@francska1

If so it hasn't worked!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Most least unpopular?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Exc: A Tory MP has sought his constituents’ views on which Conservative they think should replace Boris Johnson.

Sir Robert Goodwill outlines the potential merits of Sunak, Raab, Javid, Leadsom, Fox & Hunt, in correspondence sent after PM’s partygate fine.

Full text of email👇🏻 https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1516440700015022083/photo/1

I wonder how he compiled that list. For me the acceptable ones are Hunt, Javid and surprisingly, although not possible, Sunak. Surely Fox and Leadsom are not in the running.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

@francska1

If so it hasn't worked!
    I'm all in for starting WWIII.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,733

Scott_xP said:

Only the ones polled. I'd like to see the Drakeford figure ...
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Andy_JS said:
    GTA = Greater Toronto Area - is the forecast just there (surely it is)
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Most least unpopular?
    Yeah, 31-53 is still far from convincing. Maybe if he finds a vision and some policies he can become actually popular.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nutter tory MP who seems to think the people smuggling is across the Thames rather than the Channel.

He just misspoke. In fact I’ve been watching it since half two and diction has been dreadful. Only the Bishop Aukland Tory lady spoke well in my opinion.

The speaker opened up all over the shop in his statement about allowing Starmer his vote Thursday. Did anyone see that?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

I wonder how he compiled that list. For me the acceptable ones are Hunt, Javid and surprisingly, although not possible, Sunak. Surely Fox and Leadsom are not in the running.
    Javid after his "non-dom" tax games?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Most least unpopular?
    Yeah, 31-53 is still far from convincing. Maybe if he finds a vision and some policies he can become actually popular.
    Maybe actually having policy makes people less popular. At the moment every one can transfer onto him the idea he will help them, policies could tell them he won’t.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

He just misspoke. In fact I’ve been watching it since half two and diction has been dreadful. Only the Bishop Aukland Tory lady spoke well in my opinion.

The speaker opened up all over the shop in his statement about allowing Starmer his vote Thursday. Did anyone see that?
    Again fails rule out sending women n children
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

@leon you have burst two of my preconceptions about you, maybe because of all your travel, but I thought your girls were older teenagers plus the other day you mentioned taking the dog for a walk. Where did the dog come from and what happens to it when you travel so much.
    Both girls in mid teens, and the dog lives with my older daughter and her mum (not me) a few miles away

Nothing too complex
  • Options
    stodge said:

Leon said:

I don't go to North London because that's where the two-headed troll people live (so I've been told). Perhaps you have the same notion about Vauxhall if you are calling it "rich south west London"?

Expressing a national figure tells you one thing - I would argue the proportion of empty retail within London has risen - it may well have fallen in other areas, I can't tell. We also know some retail space has been converted to residential so that might also be a little misleading.

There are clear signs tourists are returning - passing through central London there were plenty about which is no bad thing especially for the main central areas.

As for the boom in gyms, perhaps it's an easy way to use retail space which would otherwise be empty. If we are seeing landlords reducing rents to sensible levels, that would be a step forward. I have seen these 24-hour gyms which you can access at 4am though why anyone would want to is, as with much else in this life it would seem, beyond my ken.

Yes the FT said the gyms are benefiting from notably lower rents in prime retail areas, and the gyms bring people who want to spend and linger, so it's a virtuous loop
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

The nutter from north Stoke has been allowed two rants this afternoon. I’ve more than enough from him for one parliamentary session.
  • Options
    PHATBOI!!!!
  • Options
    Keir Starmer, the David Cameron of Labour.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Both girls in mid teens, and the dog lives with my older daughter and her mum (not me) a few miles away

Nothing too complex
    Sorry I miss read. I thought you had a toddler from what I was just reading. So my original thought were correct, 2 teenagers.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    🫣

The Two Ronnies monologue writers have written this statement for the Prime Minister

“I say this, not as way of shirking responsibility or fudging the issue - but I genuinely didn’t know it was a party.”
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

The nutter from north Stoke has been allowed two rants this afternoon. I’ve more than enough from him for one parliamentary session.
    His constituents don't like dem immigrantz
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578
    Politico.com - Opinion | Jeff Greenfield - How Orwell Diagnosed Democrats’ Culture War Problem Decades Ago
    The famed English writer warned that “cranks” on the left were turning off ordinary voters, even as broad support existed for progressive policies

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/04/19/orwell-teach-democrats-working-class-00025047
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,438

Keir Starmer, the David Cameron of Labour.

For all our sakes, I hope not.
  • Options
    Johnson keeps digging.

• Options
    Leaden from Pigdog.
  • Options
    eek said:

kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

Javid after his "non-dom" tax games?
    I agree. I was just listing what I preferred regardless of their problems of getting the post. Note I also had Sunak in my list, who has even bigger issues.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon using DALLE-2...I bet it is like the ultimate boss guy out of the Southpark World of Warcraft episode.

There are serious tech CEOs on Twiter raving about dall-e - "the Cambrian explosion of AI creativity" - and saying they are completely addicted to making images, it is like being a child again, and it is akin to the first invention of the internet: it is that important

There are also many artists writing obituaries for their careers:

https://nicksaraev.com/dall-e-2-the-death-of-art/

"AI is now definitively better than human artists in almost every sense of the word. Do you see the writing on the wall?"

Every day dall-e 2 produces something completely WTF
    They said the same about special effects companies and animators when morphing became a thing and then CGI and now it'll be the death of Post Production companies ....but it never really is. It just makes things easier and cheaper and gives the originators more options. I shot a Seat Ibiza launch ad which was a 14 day shoot and two weeks post production with a production budget of 6 million Euros which could now be done for maybe a million. I would hate to be starting now.
  • Options
    BoZo's excuse to the Commons is that he is too stupid to be an MP, let alone PM
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,611
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

How will a policy that doesn’t apply to children stop children from drowning?
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651

Scott_xP said:

Cough .. Sturgeon.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

The insults on Stoke-on-Trent just keep on coming. How dare they elect 3 Conservative MPs for the first time since 1931!
  • Options

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Most least unpopular?
    Maybe actually having policy makes people less popular. At the moment every one can transfer onto him the idea he will help them, policies could tell them he won’t.
    Exactly. You only go for policies if you're losing. Look at Labour last time. A veritable blizzard. They'll probably do that again if things are looking bleak. Otherwise it'll be Britain Deserves Better and The Joke's Not Funny Anymore and that should do it imo.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Andy_JS said:
    GTA = Greater Toronto Area - is the forecast just there (surely it is)
    I don't think so. There's a separate figure for the GTA, either in this article or a similar one I saw earlier.

Edit: average home price in the GTA = $1.3 million.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=average+property+price+in+the+gta
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Roger said:

Leon said:

Leon using DALLE-2...I bet it is like the ultimate boss guy out of the Southpark World of Warcraft episode.

There are serious tech CEOs on Twiter raving about dall-e - "the Cambrian explosion of AI creativity" - and saying they are completely addicted to making images, it is like being a child again, and it is akin to the first invention of the internet: it is that important

There are also many artists writing obituaries for their careers:

https://nicksaraev.com/dall-e-2-the-death-of-art/

"AI is now definitively better than human artists in almost every sense of the word. Do you see the writing on the wall?"

Every day dall-e 2 produces something completely WTF
    They said the same about special effects companies and animators when morphing became a thing and then CGI and now it'll be the death of Post Production companies ....but it never really is. It just makes things easier and cheaper and gives the originators more options. I shot a Seat Ibiza launch ad which was a 14 day shoot and two weeks post production with a production budget of 6 million Euros which could now be done for maybe a million. I would hate to be starting now.
    CGI movies can be soul less. Does Dall-E lack sound compared to a real painting?
    Certainly the creatively element, the vision thing I failed my exams on, is helped by this. But is there soul?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,733
    JACK_W said:

Scott_xP said:

Cough .. Sturgeon.
    Not on the limited set of options in this poll. Nor were Drakeford et aliis.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leaden from Pigdog.

Voice washed up, demeanour end of road.

Starmer cutting.
  • Options
    Was clear as soon as the Met delivered the fine that there were only two explanations. Either the PM deliberately misled the house (and be forced to resign) or he didn't understand his own rules. As uncomfortable as it must be for him, it's the latter explanation he's presenting.
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1516448873585258501
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Must be the shortage of land.
  • Options

Leon said:

From the prompt:

Stock photography has been a business under threat for a long time.

These days you need a library of perhaps 100k photos on the market.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Was clear as soon as the Met delivered the fine that there were only two explanations. Either the PM deliberately misled the house (and be forced to resign) or he didn't understand his own rules. As uncomfortable as it must be for him, it's the latter explanation he's presenting.

Yes, but he is saying he didn't realise the minor gathering for cake was a breach.

There is no way he can say that when we see the photo of him surrounded by bottles of booze on an all night bender.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    Scott_xP said:

For the three in bold, I can be very quick. 'None.'
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

How will a policy that doesn’t apply to children stop children from drowning?
    Hush!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Most least unpopular?
    Exactly. You only go for policies if you're losing. Look at Labour last time. A veritable blizzard. They'll probably do that again if things are looking bleak. Otherwise it'll be Britain Deserves Better and The Joke's Not Funny Anymore and that should do it imo.
    That'll get them a hung parliament, maybe as largest party. There don't need to be many policies but there do need to be some which need to give an indication of direction - look at how Blair did it.
  • Options
    Keir Starmer points out that “the chancellor’s career is up in flames.”

Sunak has properly winced at that. He looks about a hundred years older than this time last month, by the way.

https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1516449710399266823
  • Options
    edited April 2022

@francska1

It would appear that the tanking the Ukrainians are giving them has lowered their threshold. Once upon a time we were just America's minor sidekicks. Now they are worried we can attack them unilaterally. They may need to keep an eye on Luxembourg next
  • Options
    Starmer: "As ever with this Prime Minister those close to him find themselves ruined and institutions he vows to protected, damaged. Good ministers forced to walk away from public service. The Chancellor's career up in flames. Leader of the Scottish Tories rendered pathetic."
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1516450141980532739
  • Options
    "The last time a minister got a speeding ticket and lied about it, he ended up in prison. And I know, I prosecuted him"

A big grin spotted on Ed Davey's face...
  • Options
    13% of the population have a favourable view of Priti Patel. That's fewer than think the moon landings were faked (16%). https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1516422512216887302

Which makes it...interesting that this govt's strategy with the "deport refugees to Rwanda" scheme is to make Priti Patel and her big ideas for refugee policy the centre of media and public attention https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1516426322528120843
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited April 2022
    Scott_xP said:

The Moskva excuse.

No, we weren't sunk by Ukrainian missiles, our crew were just utterly stupid and blew their own ship up.

No, I didn't deliberately mislead the house, I'm just so thick I didn't understand my own laws on group gatherings.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,299
    Searing from SKS.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Andy_JS said:
    Must be the shortage of land.
    I assume this is a joke. :D
This discussion has been closed.