Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The first findings from the Grey report don’t look good for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Starmer must be overjoyed.

Not enough to topple Johnson before the next election. But enough to leave the stench of criminality around him for good.

Far too early to say that.

If the Met determine the PM broke the law (considering the flat is one investigated by them) then surely that is the end of Boris.

If the Met determine the law wasn't broken, then that should be the end of the matter too.

Either way, I don't see how this can drag on until the election.
    That's a reframing in his favour that doesn't work. The bar is whether he lied to Parliament not whether he gets a fixed penalty notice. If he lied to Parliament he must go. Or to put it differently, if the evidence shows he lied to Parliament about these rule-breaking parties in the middle of a pandemic but he *still* won't resign, Tory MPs simply must remove him. And if they don't the public must punish them with a shellacking in the polls and a landslide loss of seats. If none of this happens we're fucked. It's Banana Republic and total loss of self-respect here we come.
    Whether the law was broken, or whether the rules were broken, is the same thing.

Guidelines are not rules. They're guidelines. Laws are the rules.

This lies to Parliament thing is weird because if the threshold to say he lied has been met, the threshold he has to go for other reasons has also already been met. So yes if he's lied to Parliament he should go, but in this case it's an unnecessary and redundant condition.
    No, if he lied it doesn't follow he'll get a penalty notice. Likewise if he doesn't get a penalty notice it doesn't follow he didn't lie.

He said he had no knowledge of rule-breaking events. Will the Gray Report (when we get the proper one) and/or the Met investigation show that to be a lie?

Let's see.
    If the PM knew the law was being broken by either himself or his team and did nothing about it then he should resign. Whether he'd said to the House that the law wasn't being broken or not.

Lawmakers can not be lawbreakers.
    Yep. And PMs cannot be liars to parliaments. Either should be enough to end him unless he and the Tory Party wish to take up residence in the gutter.
    Indeed but you're trying to set up lying to Parliament as somehow a lower or easier bar to clear than proving knowledge of lawbreaking. It isn't.

If he knew about lawbreaking and did nothing he should resign. If he doesn't, he hasn't lied.

I find the latter implausible given the evidence we know about. But at the end of the day if its not shown he knew about lawbreaking, then its not shown he lied either.
    The Lying To Parliament charge is not escaped by dint of the police deciding not to issue any tickets. That doesn't scan. But, yep, I agree it looks implausible he's clean on any metric.
    If the Police can't substantiate that the law was broken, then how is it shown he knew the law was broken?

Surely the Police will have to issue fines as the evidence is there from everything that's been reported. If that reporting is wrong, which I can't see happening, then that would be an unexpected acquittal.
    Lying to Parliament is absolutely a resigning offence, whether laws were broken or not. It is absolutely clear from the Ministerial Code that any minister who lies to Parliament is expected to resign.

“It is of paramount importance that ministers give accurate and truthful information to parliament, correcting any inadvertent error at the earliest opportunity. Ministers who knowingly mislead Parliament will be expected to offer their resignation to the Prime Minister.”
    Yes I 100% agree.

However my point is that what it's alleged he'd lied about would be a resigning offence even if he'd never lied about it. So the lie itself is both bad and moot he'd need to go even without the lie.

If he knew about lawbreaking in his office and did nothing about it then he'd have to resign, even if he'd never said he didn't know about the law breaking.

It's not like lawmakers being lawbreakers is perfectly fine so long as they don't deny lawbreaking.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

HYUFD said:

Between Boris Johnson's performance today and that poll finding I have lost faith in my country.

Take my advice.

Emigrate.
    Tempted to move to France, Canada, or Australia.
    France?
    I speak French, good location, the French have excellent food, and plus, I can taunt French people in person.

I would celebrate July 3rd like Bastille Day.
    I am sure you would find Macron very much to your taste, far more so than Boris or Starmer
    Quebec is very French but also in Canada

A blend of both

I was in a mixed international group visiting Quebec some years ago and the French restaurant we went to only accepted their orders in French, resulting in the Americans being thrown out and my gratitude to my o level French pass
    Surely all you have to do is read out what it says on the menu followed by s'il vous plait? Surely even an American can do that?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    TOPPING said:

Just put a cheeky few quid on Boris to go Jan-Mar 22. When it happens it will happen quickly. We are on the brink I think. It's either now or 2024.

Hopefully a winning bet
  • Options
    rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Labour must be reviewing whether now is the right time to table a parliamentary confidence vote. They need to judge whether the momentum will have been lost by the time the Met eventually decide to take no action.

How could the likes of Hon Mr Bell vote confidence in Johnson after today?

They will not vote for a GE
    There's no need for a Parliamentary VONC. The letters to the 1922 committee procedure is purely an internal party matter.
    It was suggested Labour call a confidence vote and some conservatives would vote with Labour.

That is not the same as the 54 letters to the 1922
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Farooq said:

Remember when Graham Brady said he'd accept emails from Conservative MPs expressing no confidence in Boris Johnson?

That was FORTY SIX days ago.

The tooth is still rotting in the mouth. It still needs pulling. But now it's just hurting the Conservatives more and more. Completely avoidable, entirely too slow. What this delay tells us is that at least 300 Conservative MPs are useless. I wish we knew who are the ones who could see where this was going and had their letters in before Christmas, but whoever they are (if any), they are surrounded by cattle.

One of the difficulties is the payroll vote. That means that to get to 54 it is a lot harder than it at first appears. A lot of MPs won't trust the anonymity, so will probably hold off unless they think it is essential
    One of the commentators said that it's thought if they get the 54 letters he will more than likely lose the vote
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Not enough to topple Johnson before the next election. But enough to leave the stench of criminality around him for good.

If the Met determine the PM broke the law (considering the flat is one investigated by them) then surely that is the end of Boris.

If the Met determine the law wasn't broken, then that should be the end of the matter too.

That's a reframing in his favour that doesn't work. The bar is whether he lied to Parliament not whether he gets a fixed penalty notice. If he lied to Parliament he must go. Or to put it differently, if the evidence shows he lied to Parliament about these rule-breaking parties in the middle of a pandemic but he *still* won't resign, Tory MPs simply must remove him. And if they don't the public must punish them with a shellacking in the polls and a landslide loss of seats. If none of this happens we're fucked. It's Banana Republic and total loss of self-respect here we come.
    Whether the law was broken, or whether the rules were broken, is the same thing.

This lies to Parliament thing is weird because if the threshold to say he lied has been met, the threshold he has to go for other reasons has also already been met. So yes if he's lied to Parliament he should go, but in this case it's an unnecessary and redundant condition.
    No, if he lied it doesn't follow he'll get a penalty notice. Likewise if he doesn't get a penalty notice it doesn't follow he didn't lie.

He said he had no knowledge of rule-breaking events. Will the Gray Report (when we get the proper one) and/or the Met investigation show that to be a lie?

Let's see.
    If the PM knew the law was being broken by either himself or his team and did nothing about it then he should resign. Whether he'd said to the House that the law wasn't being broken or not.

Yep. And PMs cannot be liars to parliaments. Either should be enough to end him unless he and the Tory Party wish to take up residence in the gutter.
    Indeed but you're trying to set up lying to Parliament as somehow a lower or easier bar to clear than proving knowledge of lawbreaking. It isn't.

If he knew about lawbreaking and did nothing he should resign. If he doesn't, he hasn't lied.

I find the latter implausible given the evidence we know about. But at the end of the day if its not shown he knew about lawbreaking, then its not shown he lied either.
    The Lying To Parliament charge is not escaped by dint of the police deciding not to issue any tickets. That doesn't scan. But, yep, I agree it looks implausible he's clean on any metric.
    If the Police can't substantiate that the law was broken, then how is it shown he knew the law was broken?

Surely the Police will have to issue fines as the evidence is there from everything that's been reported. If that reporting is wrong, which I can't see happening, then that would be an unexpected acquittal.
    Lying to Parliament is absolutely a resigning offence, whether laws were broken or not. It is absolutely clear from the Ministerial Code that any minister who lies to Parliament is expected to resign.

“It is of paramount importance that ministers give accurate and truthful information to parliament, correcting any inadvertent error at the earliest opportunity. Ministers who knowingly mislead Parliament will be expected to offer their resignation to the Prime Minister.”
    Yes I 100% agree.

However my point is that what it's alleged he'd lied about would be a resigning offence even if he'd never lied about it. So the lie itself is both bad and moot he'd need to go even without the lie.

If he knew about lawbreaking in his office and did nothing about it then he'd have to resign, even if he'd never said he didn't know about the law breaking.

It's not like lawmakers being lawbreakers is perfectly fine so long as they don't deny lawbreaking.
    And ignorance of the law is no defence.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    eek said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Never heard anything from a PM in the Commons as disgraceful as Boris' reply to Starmer today.
    Absolubtely shameful.

Six O’Clock News not showing that bit.
    Strange that given where Jimmy Saville got most his TV work from.
    A bit rich from the PM seeing as Saville was a staunch Tory supporter.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    TOPPING said:

Just put a cheeky few quid on Boris to go Jan-Mar 22. When it happens it will happen quickly. We are on the brink I think. It's either now or 2024.

But unless he resigned in a rage as soon as the VONC went against him, Boris is there until April if the leadership election went to a members vote.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

One thing that sticks out to me in Boris' response to Aaron Bell was that he used the word "may" in relation to events that we know occurred in No 10 and the Cabinet Office that he presided over. He still hasn't admitted that he was wrong.

I really, really hope that Tory MPs grow a fucking spine and get rid of this fool before he does more damage to the country. The UK PM being unable to get a direct line to Putin at a time when Russia are gearing up for war because he's having to defend his own personal failures damages the credibility of the country.

PMQs on Wednesday

Has the PM been able to speak to Putin about the Ukraine?

Why was he unable to make the scheduled phone call?
    Yes, and it would have been even better to have gone on Ukraine last week to get some quotes from the PM to quote on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Farooq said:

Remember when Graham Brady said he'd accept emails from Conservative MPs expressing no confidence in Boris Johnson?

That was FORTY SIX days ago.

The tooth is still rotting in the mouth. It still needs pulling. But now it's just hurting the Conservatives more and more. Completely avoidable, entirely too slow. What this delay tells us is that at least 300 Conservative MPs are useless. I wish we knew who are the ones who could see where this was going and had their letters in before Christmas, but whoever they are (if any), they are surrounded by cattle.

One of the difficulties is the payroll vote. That means that to get to 54 it is a lot harder than it at first appears. A lot of MPs won't trust the anonymity, so will probably hold off unless they think it is essential
    One of the commentators said that it's thought if they get the 54 letters he will more than likely lose the vote
    That is my view, because he really is not liked by the parliamentary party.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,724
    tlg86 said:

eek said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Never heard anything from a PM in the Commons as disgraceful as Boris' reply to Starmer today.
    Absolubtely shameful.

I think it’s more that they are very cautious about these things. I think they should show it to show people what kind of person the PM is. But they probably think that they don’t want to do that and potentially it does what Johnson wants (distraction).

Similarly, the BBC didn’t show SKS’s rather misjudged “tool maker” joke in his party conference speech.
    Maybe the BBC doesn't want to repeat a defamatory remark, even though Johnson making it is newsworthy.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Absolubtely shameful.

Makes sense. Never showed Savile on the TOTP repeats either.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Labour must be reviewing whether now is the right time to table a parliamentary confidence vote. They need to judge whether the momentum will have been lost by the time the Met eventually decide to take no action.

There's no need for a Parliamentary VONC. The letters to the 1922 committee procedure is purely an internal party matter.
    It was suggested Labour call a confidence vote and some conservatives would vote with Labour.

The one way to get the Tories to hold off is to get Labour to start playing games, Boris was saved last time by an ill timed defection.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    FF43 said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Absolubtely shameful.

I think it’s more that they are very cautious about these things. I think they should show it to show people what kind of person the PM is. But they probably think that they don’t want to do that and potentially it does what Johnson wants (distraction).

Similarly, the BBC didn’t show SKS’s rather misjudged “tool maker” joke in his party conference speech.
    Maybe the BBC doesn't want to repeat a defamatory remark, even though Johnson making it is newsworthy.
    You can quote what's said in parliament, provided you quote it right
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Between Boris Johnson's performance today and that poll finding I have lost faith in my country.

Take my advice.

Emigrate.
    France?
    I speak French, good location, the French have excellent food, and plus, I can taunt French people in person.

I would celebrate July 3rd like Bastille Day.
    I am sure you would find Macron very much to your taste, far more so than Boris or Starmer
    Quebec is very French but also in Canada

A blend of both

I was in a mixed international group visiting Quebec some years ago and the French restaurant we went to only accepted their orders in French, resulting in the Americans being thrown out and my gratitude to my o level French pass
    Surely all you have to do is read out what it says on the menu followed by s'il vous plait? Surely even an American can do that?
    Not on this occasion
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Apart from Johnson himself, and possibly Liz Truss, who actually wants him to go to Ukraine tonight?

Putin
    Someone else posted that, too. Why?
    Why would Putin want Johnson in Ukraine? Because:

1. Johnson is a Putinist, who is helping (wittingly or not) to advance Putin's agenda

2. Johnson fucks up everything he touches, so having him on the West's "team" is (another) plus for Putin.
    Careful, you're in danger of reminding the Brexit supporters on here that they voted to give Putin (and Xi) his biggest foreign policy win.

And they don't like being reminded of that. Well, at least the decent ones.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

The one way to get the Tories to hold off is to get Labour to start playing games, Boris was saved last time by an ill timed defection.
    As I've said before I think it is now a win-win for Labour. If he goes, they defeated the PM. If he stays they know they have Big Clown there doing his damage to the Tory brand. I think on balance they'd like him to resign though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited January 2022
    Mango said:

Apart from Johnson himself, and possibly Liz Truss, who actually wants him to go to Ukraine tonight?

Putin

1. Johnson is a Putinist, who is helping (wittingly or not) to advance Putin's agenda

2. Johnson fucks up everything he touches, so having him on the West's "team" is (another) plus for Putin.
    Careful, you're in danger of reminding the Brexit supporters on here that they voted to give Putin (and Xi) his biggest foreign policy win.

At the moment which Nato leader is doing most to stand up to Putin? Not the EU President, Macron, Scholz or Biden but Boris, PM of post Brexit Britain.

Under Boris post Brexit Britain also has agreed a defence alliance with Biden's US and Morrison's Australia to contain Xi's China
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

One thing that sticks out to me in Boris' response to Aaron Bell was that he used the word "may" in relation to events that we know occurred in No 10 and the Cabinet Office that he presided over. He still hasn't admitted that he was wrong.

I really, really hope that Tory MPs grow a fucking spine and get rid of this fool before he does more damage to the country. The UK PM being unable to get a direct line to Putin at a time when Russia are gearing up for war because he's having to defend his own personal failures damages the credibility of the country.

PMQs on Wednesday

Don't rule him out of actually being in Ukraine on Wednesday

Stranger things have happened
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

eek said:

MaxPB said:

PMQs on Wednesday

In a Tank - Thatcher Style?

Desperate times...
  • Options
    FF43 said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Absolubtely shameful.

Parliamentary privilege applies, surely?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991
    edited January 2022

Very proud of the contribution by PBer Aaron Bell. very effective.

Do you think @Tissue_Price would write a thread if you asked him?

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

eek said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Absolubtely shameful.

A bit rich from the PM seeing as Saville was a staunch Tory supporter.
    And the flagship Tory PM was a staunch Savile supporter!
  • Options

eek said:

MaxPB said:

PMQs on Wednesday

The ideal time to spend the 54th letter would be just before Boris went abroad - does he turn back in a hurry or try to fight from abroad.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mango said:

Putin

At the moment which Nato leader is doing most to stand up to Putin? Not the EU President, Macron, Scholz or Biden but Boris, PM of post Brexit Britain
    From your somewhat biased perspective. I imagine Putin thinks of Big Clown the same way most of us on here think of him. A joke leader that just keeps on giving.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,686
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

PMQs on Wednesday

Won't Big Dog be in Kyiv still?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.
    Well, you can knock Canada off the list - that's where the Hawaiian pizza was invented.
    If you think our winters are cold and dark, try Canada's
    Toronto has brighter winters than London.

I’m finding New York very cold but the sunshine is glorious; I much prefer it.
    It was actually quite sunny in southern England today too in the day.

Temperature in Winnipeg at the moment however is -9 degrees Celsius.

In London it is 7 degrees celcius
    Yep. It’s v cold here in New York.

But my kids loved sledding through Central Park yesterday and the sky is bright blue. It’s like being in the Alps.
    I'm relocating back to New Haven CT within the next couple of years. It's bloody cold round those parts but its light. I don't mind cold if I can have some daylight past 4pm in the depths of winter.
  • Options
    Hopefully Boris's dealings with the party go the way of Gordian III bargaining with the Roman army

“When the army had elected Philip, who was Prætorian præfect to the third Gordian, the latter demanded that he might remain sole emperor; he was unable to obtain it. He requested that the power might be equally divided between them; the army would not listen to his speech. He consented to be degraded to the rank of Cæsar; the favor was refused him. He desired, at least, he might be appointed Prætorian præfect; his prayer was rejected. Finally, he pleaded for his life. The army, in these several judgments, exercised the supreme magistracy.

According to the historian, whose doubtful narrative the President De Montesquieu has adopted, Philip, who, during the whole transaction, had preserved a sullen silence, was inclined to spare the innocent life of his benefactor; till, recollecting that his innocence might excite a dangerous compassion in the Roman world, he commanded, without regard to his suppliant cries, that he should be seized, stripped, and led away to instant death. After a moment’s pause, the inhuman sentence was executed. "
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    HYUFD said:

Mango said:

Putin

At the moment which Nato leader is doing most to stand up to Putin? Not the EU President, Macron, Scholz or Biden but Boris, PM of post Brexit Britain.

Under Boris post Brexit Britain also has agrees a defence alliance with Biden's US and Morrison's Australia to contain Xi's China
    “Hello I wanted to speak to President Putin to tell him how awful he is being. But I have to rearrange the call due to unforeseen circumstances. Can you push it to later? You can’t? Oh. Bye then.”
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Absolubtely shameful.

Ch4 is the one to watch. 6.00 BBC News is feeble
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.
    Well, you can knock Canada off the list - that's where the Hawaiian pizza was invented.
    Vancouver isn't cold. Nor is populated Canada darker. It's much further south than us.
    Most Canadians live south of Seattle. One of my favourite facts.
    Winnipeg has over 600,000 people and is -6 Celsius today. Edmonton has over 1 million people and is -15 degrees Celsius today.

Parts of populated Canada certainly do get very cold in winter
  • Options

MaxPB said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

As I've said before I think it is now a win-win for Labour. If he goes, they defeated the PM. If he stays they know they have Big Clown there doing his damage to the Tory brand. I think on balance they'd like him to resign though.
    Boris being at No 10 is still a winner for Labour so I don't see them exerting that much effort to help him be removed.

Especially when it's got nothing to do with Labour and everything to do with what Tory MPs want / think is best for them.
  • Options
    ITV Wales just reported from Rhyl and it was not as bad for Boris as I expected (Vale of Clwyd)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,686
    JBriskin3 said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

PMQs on Wednesday

Desperate times...
    Tanks there are not ours.

Perhaps inspecting some troops
  • Options

Unwise. One could damage him a lot by quoting hudfy as if he were a typical poster here.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Carnyx said:

Me neither, so I looked it up for myself - very popular in the last two decades of the Long Nineteenth Century. Wiki says "The plays of Feydeau are marked by closely observed characters, with whom his audiences could identify, plunged into fast-moving comic plots of mistaken identity, attempted adultery, split-second timing and a precariously happy ending."

I'm genuinely astonished that anyone here didn't know what a Feydeau farce is. My assumptions of what constitutes our common body of culture is clearly wrong.

If done well, they are amongst the funniest plays you will ever see. However, I do remember an absolutely excruciating National Theatre performance of 'Occupe toi d'Amélie' (in English) many years ago, which we took my sister-in-law and her husband to. Having promised them a really entertaining evening - it's one of the funniest of his plays - it was so dire that by common consent we left at the interval.
    Thanks! I se quite a few have been made into films, most recently Hotel Paradiso, but for some reason I have missed those.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

When it comes to grey hardly anywhere beats the UK.
    Yes.

I frankly came to dread the U.K. winter.
    And that was London. Christ knows what it’s like in, say, Glasgow.
    Southwest of Glasgow at coast is very mild , can be a bit wet but extremely pleasant. Plenty of nice bracing days , bit of sunshine and a few gales but perfectly lovely. Days are short mind you but you get bonus of only a few hours dark in summer so cannot complain.
    Afternoon, Malc.

I miss Scotland terribly as I haven’t been able to get up there for going on years now. I’m looking forward to the Scottish Tartan Parade here in NYC in April which will be hosted by Karen Gillan.

@TSE, I extend you a standing invitation.
  • Options

ITV Wales just reported from Rhyl and it was not as bad for Boris as I expected (Vale of Clwyd)

Meaning vox pops from the Vale of Clwyd?
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    dixiedean said:

Vancouver isn't cold. Nor is populated Canada darker. It's much further south than us.

And indeed south of Milan.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Unwise. One could damage him a lot by quoting hudfy as if he were a typical poster here.
    That would be amusing. An elected Tory councillor telling a Tory Mp that he’s not a real Tory because he doesn’t support Boris Mandela.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219
    edited January 2022

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

I don't like Johnson and I want him to go but one has to admire his comprehensive takedown of Starmer was superb. First the Saville put down which the BBC are loving. Second the Starmer supported Corbyn who supported Putin put down, and I fell off my chair at the drug taking allegation.

Brandon Lewis on R4 PM thought the PM had equipped himself well. Sadly I have to agree. The punters will love the Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I do wonder how many of the breaches of the rules - let alone the guidelines - were by Carrie and her friends.

I suspect quite a few. The PM could argue that he had a reasonable excuse to be in the office. Carrie none. Nor Lulu or other friends.

That may explain some of his behaviour. He simply cannot - or dare not - admit something which would put his wife in the frame.

FWIW, this is where my thinking has gone. Hence, the 'check the official diaries' comment earlier.
    I've just had a horrible vision of BoJo stifling tears and saying that he has been acting all along to protect his wife and that he personally had no involvement in any wrongdoing..
    Why can't he just blame her? Gets the heatd off him, and she's not official any more than, say, a Speaker's wife is.
    She goes to the press
    Yepp. Carrie knows where all the bodies are buried.
    Boris is so bone idle she will have probably had to bury them for him (allegedly)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    2m
    The PM is taking a huge personal risk in rejecting Tory MP demands to publish Sue Gray’s more definitive “full” report - because he is removing from them any incentive to delay their decisions to send in letters of no confidence in his leadership

He's calling their bluff - at this point while more would emerge in a full report it is unlikely to change all that many minds. So if they want him gone, he does not want them justifying it to themselves on the basis of some drip drip revelation, he wants them to nail their colours to the mast.

I'm reminded of those MPs who were waiting for DUP approval before voting for or against a Brexit deal, in essence giving up their responsibility to make a decision by hinging their decision on another group.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Let's see.

Yes I 100% agree.

This government proclaimed it is fine, as long as the law breaking was done in a limited and specific way.
  • Options

The Leave voting white working class still like Boris far more than graduate Remainers, even if less than they did in 2019.

Rhyl is in Vale of Clwyd and full of white working class Leavers, so no surprise
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Priti Patel giving Boris no visible support despite sitting right next to him.

I'm curious what would count as sufficient visual support. Gurning?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1488215914361364482

Some Tory MPs are not feeling favourable towards the PM this eve.

One senior Tory who is usually loyal described his Commons turn as "a total and utter train wreck" adding "the mood is utterly dire"

Another MP "He’s made us all look corrupt and made the country feel like fools"

Another senior party aide said No10 may have misjudged the tone: "Today was not a day to come out swinging"

The answer to that is, if you turn out to be, say, Fred West, things have moved on beyond the question of what's the best tone in which to discuss your activities
  • Options
    Foxy said:

JBriskin3 said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

PMQs on Wednesday

Desperate times...
    Tanks there are not ours.

Perhaps inspecting some troops
    Shame - who doesn't like Tanks?

Or the indeed the idea of invading Russia!?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Winterpeg, its denizens call it, is not really a great compare for London.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

eek said:

FF43 said:

DearPB said:

Lyndsey Hoyle found that genuinely upsetting

Not surprised Hoyle is upset. Blackford made an assertion which he is not allowed to make under parliamentary rules, about another member lying to the House, but which is incontrovertible in the case of Johnson. Johnson is also not allowed to lie to the House and actually lying is obviously far more serious than making allegations, but there is no available sanction against him.

The system is at fault and Blackford (justifiably in my view) is exploiting this failure.
    I think Hoyle's problem is that he and everyone else nows Boris has lied to the house but there isn't 100% clear unavoidable evidence to say as much yet.

Which means Parliament can't do anything about it. Personally I would be given Blackford a 9 day ban - because it would leave 10+ days as the only possible punishment when Boris is found to be lying and 10 days triggers a recall petition.
    The issue is slightly different IMO. The system assumes members are honourable people and if they misled the House it was inadvertent or they could pretend it was, they will fess up and everyone will move on. The system isn't designed for prime ministers as fundamentally dishonest as Boris Johnson.

They badly need lying to the House to be brought within the disciplinary process. The Committed would establish the facts of any allegations of lying with a potential penalty of being excluded from parliament.
    Quite so, which makes it odd that the Speaker didn't accept Mr Blackford's offer to say 'inadevertently misled'. Why not?
    Because the qualifying adverb would be untrue ?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    edited January 2022
    Thing is we're all saying how amazing Aaron Bell is but was he not paying attention on PB. Plenty of people have been saying for ages on here how manifestly unfit Boris is for office.

Has it only just dawned on @Tissue_Price.

More fool him if so and yes sorry because I realise he is s PB icon.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Yes.

Southwest of Glasgow at coast is very mild , can be a bit wet but extremely pleasant. Plenty of nice bracing days , bit of sunshine and a few gales but perfectly lovely. Days are short mind you but you get bonus of only a few hours dark in summer so cannot complain.
    Hello Malky - lovely sunny morning over in the east with some radiation frost and the white just on the hills.

Prestwick Airport was specifically located in Ayrshire of course because it has little fog/mist/haar - important in the old days without blind landing aids and with urban smog inland. But I don't know how wide that meteorological phenomenon extends.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mango said:

Putin

Under Boris post Brexit Britain also has agreed a defence alliance with Biden's US and Morrison's Australia to contain Xi's China
    More BS about BJ.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Leave voting white working class still like Boris far more than graduate Remainers, even if less than they did in 2019.

Rhyl is in Vale of Clwyd and full of white working class Leavers, so no surprise
    Why do you think those interviewed were white working class

Your comment is distasteful
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Yes.

Afternoon, Malc.

I miss Scotland terribly as I haven’t been able to get up there for going on years now. I’m looking forward to the Scottish Tartan Parade here in NYC in April which will be hosted by Karen Gillan.

@TSE, I extend you a standing invitation.
    Karen Gillan you say.

I shall be there.

My own weakness in life is redheads.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Thing is we're all saying how amazing Aaron Bell is but was he not paying attention on PB. Plenty of people have been saying for ages on here how manifestly unfit Boris is for office.

He was the most outspoken of the Paterson 13...
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    https://twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1488200463199653888?s=21

Meanwhile lick spittle Gove is quick out the traps to stand behind the PM.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1488215914361364482

Some Tory MPs are not feeling favourable towards the PM this eve.

One senior Tory who is usually loyal described his Commons turn as "a total and utter train wreck" adding "the mood is utterly dire"

Another MP "He’s made us all look corrupt and made the country feel like fools"

Another senior party aide said No10 may have misjudged the tone: "Today was not a day to come out swinging"

The answer to that is, if you turn out to be, say, Fred West, things have moved on beyond the question of what's the best tone in which to discuss your activities

Or, indeed, Mr West complaining that the polis didn't do a good job of prosecuting Mr Saville.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

He rebelled on the North Shropshire thing so it's unlikely it's just dawning on him.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

eek said:

FF43 said:

DearPB said:

Lyndsey Hoyle found that genuinely upsetting

Not surprised Hoyle is upset. Blackford made an assertion which he is not allowed to make under parliamentary rules, about another member lying to the House, but which is incontrovertible in the case of Johnson. Johnson is also not allowed to lie to the House and actually lying is obviously far more serious than making allegations, but there is no available sanction against him.

The system is at fault and Blackford (justifiably in my view) is exploiting this failure.
    I think Hoyle's problem is that he and everyone else nows Boris has lied to the house but there isn't 100% clear unavoidable evidence to say as much yet.

Which means Parliament can't do anything about it. Personally I would be given Blackford a 9 day ban - because it would leave 10+ days as the only possible punishment when Boris is found to be lying and 10 days triggers a recall petition.
    The issue is slightly different IMO. The system assumes members are honourable people and if they misled the House it was inadvertent or they could pretend it was, they will fess up and everyone will move on. The system isn't designed for prime ministers as fundamentally dishonest as Boris Johnson.

They badly need lying to the House to be brought within the disciplinary process. The Committed would establish the facts of any allegations of lying with a potential penalty of being excluded from parliament.
    Quite so, which makes it odd that the Speaker didn't accept Mr Blackford's offer to say 'inadevertently misled'. Why not?
    Because the qualifying adverb would be untrue ?
    Sorry, run that one past me more slowly please?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    edited January 2022

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

I don't like Johnson and I want him to go but one has to admire his comprehensive takedown of Starmer was superb. First the Saville put down which the BBC are loving.

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I do wonder how many of the breaches of the rules - let alone the guidelines - were by Carrie and her friends.

I suspect

That may explain some of his behaviour. He simply cannot - or dare not - admit something which would put his wife in the frame.

FWIW, this is where my thinking has gone. Hence, the 'check the official diaries' comment earlier.
    I've just had a horrible vision of BoJo stifling tears and saying that he has been acting all along to protect his wife and that he personally had no involvement in any wrongdoing..
    Why can't he just blame her? Gets the heatd off him, and she's not official any more than, say, a Speaker's wife is.
    She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo
    You keep repeating this on here every few minutes but that doesn't make it any the more true.

No one else, literally no one else, thinks it was a smart move. The jibe lowered the tone still further and by linking Savile to the debate today, the impression people come away with is not what you think. It's of two disresputable people who got off without investigation.

And I'm sure you don't really mean to be saying that the BBC loved the Savile comment. I mean, apart from not knowing how to spell his name, do you not know anything about the background to Jimmy Savile and the BBC?
  • Options

Wow - Boris responded to an accusation of drug taking in no 10 said, no you should look at the Labour front bench

I'd say children know that pointing out others are doing wrong is not the right thing to do, except actually we do learn early on that it is pretty effective.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343

Offer it to the Prime Minister, eh? Does he have to accept it?
  • Options
    Angela Richardson resigns as Gove’s PPS over her “deep disappointment” at Partygate:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1488219064422047753
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

Why do you think those interviewed were white working class

Your comment is distasteful
    Demographics.

Plus the latest Yougov had the Tories on 34% with working class C2DEs but only 31% with middle class ABC1s.

The Tories are also still on 58% with Leavers but just 13% with Remainers

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/01/28/voting-intention-con-32-lab-38-26-27-jan
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

He was the most outspoken of the Paterson 13...
    That's as maybe but a short time on PB would have prepared him well.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    HYUFD said:

Mango said:

Putin

AUKUS is a procurement and technology pact, not an alliance. There is no mutual defence obligation outside of existing treaties.
  • Options
    I don’t really get what @Mexicanpete is talking about. Is it sarcasm? I can’t tell.

Boris’s Savile jibe may be the thing that ends him.
    It was breathtakingly dishonest. As I posted upthread, I was shaking in anger. And reports suggest a decent number (enough?) of Tory MPs were similarly disgusted.
  • Options

Angela Richardson resigns as Gove’s PPS over her “deep disappointment” at Partygate:

MP for Guildford at risk of going LD
  • Options

Offer it to the Prime Minister, eh? Does he have to accept it?
    One curiosity in all the MPs questions, why has no one ever asked him to recuse himself from the decisions around publication? Even if it needs to be a government politician it could be someone like Sunak, Gove, Raab or Braverman.

It is crazy that an investigation depends on the person being investigated to be willing to release the details.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Didn't she resign (and then unresign) over Paterson?
  • Options
    Reference to Jimmy Savile by Boris Johnson was a disgrace to Parliament & office of Prime Minister

ITS NOT TRUE
    I was there

Keir Starmer had nothing to do with the decisions taken
    On the contrary, He supported me in bringing 100s of child sex abusers to justice

https://twitter.com/nazirafzal/status/1488181581353259025
  • Options
    Re: BJ tripping to Ukraine, yours truly is old enough to remember how Nixon went on a foreign trip to Egypt not long before he gave the Big Wave from the Rose Garden.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Winnipeg is closer to London in terms of distance from the equator than New York is
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes. It seems the burghers of the stockbroker belt have a bit more moral fibre than you.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I don't ever remember him being a Johnson apologist? Correct me if I am wrong?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Reference to Jimmy Savile by Boris Johnson was a disgrace to Parliament & office of Prime Minister

ITS NOT TRUE
    I was there

Keir Starmer had nothing to do with the decisions taken
    On the contrary, He supported me in bringing 100s of child sex abusers to justice

https://twitter.com/nazirafzal/status/1488181581353259025

That Tweet doesn’t actually help SKS a great deal.

Doesn’t alter the fact that Johnson is a disgrace.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644

Again. She is like a yo-yo.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Another conservative mps dished by the most ridiculous conservative I have ever come across

You should be ashamed standing up for Boris, and passing your ill judged attacks on decent conservatives who recognise right from wrong
  • Options

David Gauke
    @DavidGauke
    Conservative MPs now know that when the final Sue Gray report is published it will be damning. They don't need to wait any longer to act.
  • Options
    It' s a good feeling to have a decent leader of the opposition at last and improving with every outing. He looked dominating today in a way we haven't seen since Blair.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219
    Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

I don't like Johnson and I want him to go but one has to admire his comprehensive takedown of Starmer was superb. First the Saville put down which the BBC are loving.

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect

She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo
    You keep repeating this on here every few minutes but that doesn't make it any the more true.

No one else, literally no one else, thinks it was a smart move. The jibe lowered the tone still further and by linking Savile to the debate today, the impression people come away with is not what you think. It's of two disresputable people who got off without investigation.

And I'm sure you don't really mean to be saying that the BBC loved the Savile comment. I mean, apart from not knowing how to spell his name, do you not know anything about the background to Jimmy Savile and the BBC?
    It scythed Starmer down. Starmer was poor today. Mrs May, and Tissue price were excellent.

I thought Johnson came out swinging, and whether you and I might be disappointed that he saved his bacon, he did, because there are still not 54 MPs who were concerned enough to put their letters to Brady
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Winnipeg is closer to London in terms of distance from the equator than New York is
    London is rather closer to this thing called the 'sea'. Which has a 'Gulf Stream' going up it and keeping the 'British [sic] Isles' warm.

Winnipeg, or indeed anywhere in the continental interior of North America, is ****ing cold in winter because the sea left the Great Plains not long after the dinosaurs did.
  • Options

Johnson's performance in the House mirrors his private conversations with ministers and MPs. He may say he is sorry, but he doesn't mean it and he still refuses to tell the truth.

https://twitter.com/NJ_Timothy/status/1488203544478027778?s=20&t=nQZNfBgj7Fd6QKC6qfr2UA

While in these times it can be easy to overlook that Boris is not without political skills which have helped him sustain and thrive across a long political career, one thing I don't think he has ever been any good at is the non-apology apology.

He has had some success with distraction and bluster in the past, but it is not working so well right now, and his attempts at non-apologies cannot carry him through convincingly. Hence upping the bluster quotient with pretty random counters.
  • Options

Re: BJ tripping to Ukraine, yours truly is old enough to remember how Nixon went on a foreign trip to Egypt not long before he gave the Big Wave from the Rose Garden.

Yes after I'd mentioned Jim Callaghan in Guadeloupe someone mentioned Thatcher in Paris.

Both trips effectively saw the end of their premierships.
  • Options
    Roger said:

It' s a good feeling to have a decent leader of the opposition at last and improving with every outing. He looked dominating today in a way we haven't seen since Blair.

He is no Blair
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.
    Winnipeg has over 600,000 people and is -6 Celsius today. Edmonton has over 1 million people and is -15 degrees Celsius today.

Nevertheless you also said “dark”. Sunset in Winnipeg today will be, in local time, a whole half hour later than mine - and I have one of the longest winter daylight spans in the UK.
  • Options

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect

She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo

It scythed Starmer down. Starmer was poor today. Mrs May, and Tissue price were excellent.

I thought Johnson came out swinging, and whether you and I might be disappointed that he saved his bacon, he did, because there are still not 54 MPs who were concerned enough to put their letters to Brady
    You OK?

SKS was superb, and the 54 letters haven't not gone in yet
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Let's see.

Yes I 100% agree.

This government proclaimed it is fine, as long as the law breaking was done in a limited and specific way.
    Touché lol.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    TOPPING said:

Question is to what extent he still credits the dodgy boss with having got him the job in the first place.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

London is rather closer to this thing called the 'sea'. Which has a 'Gulf Stream' going up it and keeping the 'British [sic] Isles' warm.

Winnipeg, or indeed anywhere in the continental interior of North America, is ****ing cold in winter because the sea left the Great Plains not long after the dinosaurs did.
    Hopefully climate change will not damage the Gulf Stream otherwise we will get prairies Canadian winters
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    HYUFD said:

Which is at risk of going LD - the MP or the constituency?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Nevertheless you also said “dark”. Sunset in Winnipeg today will be, in local time, a whole half hour later than mine - and I have one of the longest winter daylight spans in the UK.
    I remember a summer holiday staying in perhaps the UK's most northerly B&B on UNst on Shetland. The sheep were waking us up at some ridiculous time like 3 am when they woke. And bright sun for our after dinner walks high in the sky. But then I thought, what's this going to be like in winter ...?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590
    edited January 2022
    "He’s made us all look corrupt and made the country feel like fools"

Any party that makes the likes of Boris Johnson - or Donald Trump - its leader IS corrupt, by definition.

And any country that elects their like, such as the UK - or USA - and puts them into power is ipso facto a pack of fools.

EDIT - I point this out, mainly in derision of the "made us" in the chastened Tory MPs remark. Much like Joe Rogan "sorry if I pissed you off".

Or any alleged "apology" ever uttered (apparently) by Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Johnson's performance in the House mirrors his private conversations with ministers and MPs. He may say he is sorry, but he doesn't mean it and he still refuses to tell the truth.

https://twitter.com/NJ_Timothy/status/1488203544478027778?s=20&t=nQZNfBgj7Fd6QKC6qfr2UA

While in these times it can be easy to overlook that Boris is not without political skills which have helped him sustain and thrive across a long political career, one thing I don't think he has ever been any good at is the non-apology apology.

He has had some success with distraction and bluster in the past, but it is not working so well right now, and his attempts at non-apologies cannot carry him through convincingly. Hence upping the bluster quotient with pretty random counters.
    Agreed, he is better at attacking than defending, the closest he was to having to resign was when he did the apology interview. Since then he has come out fighting and claiming to anyone open to hearing it that this is a boring distraction that should be treated with contempt because Brexit & vaccines. Lots of low interest voters, who we rarely hear from on here, will be fine with that.
  • Options
    A fun account of the Callaghan trip here:

https://annaraccoon.com/2012/06/09/james-callaghan-pm-my-part-in-his-downfall/

So he in fact flew in from Barbados. It was the height of the winter of discontent, with rubbish piled up everywhere and bodies lying unburied.

"As Callaghan emerged from his plane onto the tarmac on a dismal winter morn, a disenchanted hack shouted out to him, ‘What d’you think of the chaos, Jim’. Callaghan actually replied ‘I don’t think that other people in the world would share the view that there is mounting chaos’. That exchange, slightly misheard or misinterpreted, by the Sun, became their famous headline ‘Crisis, what crisis’.

It proved to be a phrase that hung round his neck for the rest of his political life – encapsulating the notion that Labour leaders had no idea what they were doing to the country, and ultimately led to his downfall."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Hopefully climate change will not damage the Gulf Stream otherwise we will get prairies Canadian winters
    Quite so.
This discussion has been closed.