Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Current revelations put the Barnard Castle trip into context – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Hunt could come out against Johnson and change the game now, conceivably.

Not at the party, not a supporter of Boris, but the leading plausible alternative candidate to the relative insiders of Truss and Sunak.

I don't think party members will support Hunt.
    That may depend on the timing. If the Tories get a massive hammering at the local elections there might, just might, be a need to find someone who is seen as experienced and credible. Hopefully all but the most swivel-eyed members have moved on from their obsession with Leavers and Remainers and perhaps they realise they need someone who can actually govern.
  • Options

Not at the party, not a supporter of Boris, but the leading plausible alternative candidate to the relative insiders of Truss and Sunak.

This is his achilles' heel. On the other hand there may be some desperation for someone different more from the parliamentary party, than the members.
    The members won't stand for a coronation. We remember May
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879

Cyclefree said:

There has to be another twist.

Personally I'm waiting for the revelation that Senior Met officers attended some of these parties and that the Met therefore can no longer investigate and will have to be investigated by someone else and so it goes on until some poor farmer on the Isle of Mull who hasn't seen a living soul for 3 years finds himself having to investigate everyone else in the country as he's the only one left who hasn't done anything wrong.

He puts in his report only to find the Russians have taken over.

Something like this anyway.

Not sure about Mull. Over 2,000 folk there, and the island is notorious for its party culture. Them crofters can be wild.

I'd suggest Foula - truly remote island to the west of the Shetland archipelago.
    Would have to be Rockall to be completely certain.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

This is his achilles' heel. On the other hand there may be some desperation for someone different more from the parliamentary party, than the members.
    The only way he wins is if the alternative is ALSO a remainer lockdown enthusiast, and there certainly aren't the votes in parliament to put 2 of that type to the members.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

Agree. More likely "dark horses" are Penny Mordaunt or Ben Wallace. And, if it's to be a non-minister, then Tom Tugendhat. Hunt would be good to have back in the cabinet tho.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,520
    Cyclefree said:

Personally I'm waiting for the revelation that Senior Met officers attended some of these parties and that the Met therefore can no longer investigate and will have to be investigated by someone else and so it goes on until some poor farmer on the Isle of Mull who hasn't seen a living soul for 3 years finds himself having to investigate everyone else in the country as he's the only one left who hasn't done anything wrong.

The farmer on Mull discovers that, due to an unused bye-law passed 26 years ago, he is guilty of a crime that he has never heard of.

So he joins everyone else in an investigation.

The Russians invade, but get caught up in an investigation of their customs forms and are stuck in the waiting room at Dover for ever, since there is no one to interview them.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    An interesting article by an improbably-named writer:
    https://unherd.com/thepost/to-witness-the-covid-divide-walk-from-brooklyn-to-queens/

Essentially, the covid divide in America is not red vs blue but is class based: the urban wealthy are very keen on covid rules, the unwealthy are not.

Which I think is not dissimilar to life in the UK.
    As a trivial example, on the Metrolink in Manchester, for example, masking seems much more common the Altrincham line than on the Manchester Airport line.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    boulay said:

You know those people who told other people to delete (phone) records of the parties must be shitting bricks right now as the police have become involved.

Destroying evidence is a crime.

As I’m not a lawyer would you or Cyclefree clarify if that’s relevant here? I’m clear that destroying evidence during a police investigation is a crime however does the Gray investigation have the same legal status as a police investigation?

I suppose what I’m asking is, would destroying evidence/clearing embarrassing photos, be a legal offence in the parameter’s of the Gray investigation rather than just something that can be remarked upon and if the evidence was removed before the police investigation was announced can they be in legal trouble for destroying evidence?

Does a burglar get in more legal trouble, if he burnt the swag bag he used for the burglary, if he did it straight after the burglary as opposed to after being subject to a police investigation it’s a separate crime if he sneaks out at night and destroys this evidence?
    The Gray investigation does not have the same status as a police one.

Remember that the police will be investigating breaches of the applicable Coronavirus Regulations. As the various reports on the CPS and Parliamentary reviews I've attached upthread show, they have often not got this right in the past when they have tried to bring prosecutions. Getting everything right this time will be critical.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    edited January 2022
    Meanwhile, as everyone is consumed by cakegate:

Russian special forces spotted in Ukraine, setting up a false flag operation that they will portray as a Ukranian attack on Russia, according to UK armed forces minister James Heappey.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/01/25/russia-succeeding-sowing-panic-ukraine-says-top-security-official/
  • Options

Do you now believe me?

Boris is going nowhere.

A week is a long time in politics!
  • Options
    eek said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

This sad, sorry saga is reinforcing my belief that the Conservatives in general and Sunak in particular have shat the bed on this. They've had weeks to do this, and it keeps getting worse.
    If you are trying to defenestrate someone, do it. Don't pussyfoot around and don't do it on their timetable. The last couple of weeks have given a clear sign that the Conservatives have no self confidence, no moral compass, and no direction.

I would be very wary of putting any money on Sunak for next leader now. Tax and spend Rishi, about to slap job destroying taxes on hard pressed Brits? I don't think so.
    I’d have more faith in Sunak being politically astute enough to ditch some of the prior tax rises / address the cost of living crisis
    I expect that to happen in the next few weeks, even as late as the march budget
    We are back to Autumn budgets and March / April spending reviews / updates.
    Emergency budget maybe
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Russian special forces spotted in Ukraine, setting up a false flag operation that they will portray as a Ukranian attack on Russia, according to UK armed forces minister James Heappey.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/01/25/russia-succeeding-sowing-panic-ukraine-says-top-security-official/

One of the oldest tricks in the book.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Not sure about Mull. Over 2,000 folk there, and the island is notorious for its party culture. Them crofters can be wild.

I'd suggest Foula - truly remote island to the west of the Shetland archipelago.
    Foula it is. The perfect name as well!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,076
    Boris Corbyn is still there.

Where are the letters?
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited January 2022

Cyclefree said:

The farmer on Mull discovers that, due to an unused bye-law passed 26 years ago, he is guilty of a crime that he has never heard of.
    "you shag one sheep"
  • Options

Where are the letters?

I am starting to wonder when Boris will put one in himself .
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022

Where are the letters?

"I think MP's will be waiting to see the results of the police investigation, now. We can't prejudge that, and I personally won't be making any decision on my letter either way until it's complete. I know that other colleagues feel the same - there must be due process."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,098
    edited January 2022

That may depend on the timing. If the Tories get a massive hammering at the local elections there might, just might, be a need to find someone who is seen as experienced and credible. Hopefully all but the most swivel-eyed members have moved on from their obsession with Leavers and Remainers and perhaps they realise they need someone who can actually govern.
    Hunt polls almost as badly with the public as Truss and Patel and Gove.

You may as well keep Boris if you are a Tory if those are the alternatives.

Though personally I don't mind Hunt
  • Options

Where are the letters?

I am starting to wonder when Boris will put one in himself .
    Get a dozen friendly MPs to put letters in now, to force the vote where 180 rebels are needed.
  • Options

George Monbiot wrote earlier this week about the dictatorial path he believes Boris Johnson is taking. He said that this week, Conservative MPs can halt the march. It seems like the road to totalitarianism is further along than he had assumed. I compared my undergraduate notes referencing Hannah Arendt's work and the signs are there, for the conspiratorial amongst us.

The use of the police to bolster the executive is straight out of the authoritarian playbook. In all fairness to Johnson he is a lot smarter than Trump. A revolution, and not a shot fired.

Unfortunately, whilst I loath The Clown more than most, I stopped paying attention after I saw the name George Monbiot and immediately the words sanctimonious twat popped into my head.
    His recent pieces on the policing bill have been very good, and probably generated the key political and media impetus against the most egregious parts of it.

That's another reason the Johnson-Patel axis is a danger to all our freedoms if he stays ; Patel even wants to re-introduce the parts the Lord recently struck out.
    Maybe, but he is still a sanctimonious twat. One of those journos who likes to come across as an expert on "things" and then when you dig, you realise he is an expert on nothing. If he were about twenty years younger he would be a Youtuber or an Instagram "influencer"
    Monbiot is prepared to follow an independent line and take fire from his "own side". To whit, is supportive of nuclear power on climate change grounds and I saw somewhere that he believes trophy hunting should be allowed as it puts an economic value on the animals concerned and gives locals a reason to conserve them, even if he finds the practice abhorrent. I actually have some time for him.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,973
    Cyclefree said:

boulay said:

You know those people who told other people to delete (phone) records of the parties must be shitting bricks right now as the police have become involved.

As I’m not a lawyer would you or Cyclefree clarify if that’s relevant here? I’m clear that destroying evidence during a police investigation is a crime however does the Gray investigation have the same legal status as a police investigation?

I suppose what I’m asking is, would destroying evidence/clearing embarrassing photos, be a legal offence in the parameter’s of the Gray investigation rather than just something that can be remarked upon and if the evidence was removed before the police investigation was announced can they be in legal trouble for destroying evidence?

Does a burglar get in more legal trouble, if he burnt the swag bag he used for the burglary, if he did it straight after the burglary as opposed to after being subject to a police investigation it’s a separate crime if he sneaks out at night and destroys this evidence?

Remember that the police will be investigating breaches of the applicable Coronavirus Regulations. As the various reports on the CPS and Parliamentary reviews I've attached upthread show, they have often not got this right in the past when they have tried to bring prosecutions. Getting everything right this time will be critical.
    Thank you.

So effectively if people deleted “embarrassing photos” (aka evidence) ahead of the Gray report then they haven’t committed a crime however if they had deleted “evidence” (aka embarrassing photos) once under police investigation then they would have committed a crime.

In which case I presume that it’s not something now that would be considered and acted on by the Met (I know - as if they will consider or act but hypothetically).
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1485925622782246912

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    BREAKING: Sue Gray will not publish her partygate report while the Met police investigate. So it will not be published this week and probably not for many weeks. This is some kind of reprieve for the prime minister. She will continue her investigation though

FFS this is in no ones interest.

There's an argument that this is very much in Starmer's interest. The story keeps rumbling on while the Government is holed beneath the waterline, every week or two Dom feeds another scrap to the ravenous newspapers, and the Conservatives retain their lame duck leader.
    Not sure Cummings is going to be able to continue his stories while a police investigation is proceeding
    What is the legal position? If you're accused of burglary and the police are investigating, is there a law that says I can't go round telling people that I saw you creeping around in a hoodie, jangling skeleton keys? It's a convenient excuse not to talk, of course, but unlike contempt of court for influencing ongoing proceedings, I don't think there's a "contempt of police" law?

But yes, its probably good for both Starmer and Johnson, and bad news for Sunak. The public weariness with the story will increase over time, though, so Starmer can't just keep asking questions on parties. I'd think the Labour line will be "Look at problem X (fuel prices, disruption, etc.), why is the Government so weak and preoccupied?"
    I agree and I expect Cummings himself will be part of the Met investigation

There is no doubt every question will be batted away that this now a police investigation

The key here, as it always has been, what are conservative mps going to do
    Batting away every question with "there is a police investigation" is surely a more damaging response than "wait for Sue Gray"?

The problem is that every time that answer is given, it reminds people that this is a CRIMINAL matter as well as being hugely insensitive at a time when family occasions were missed, people couldn't say goodbye to loved ones, the Queen sat alone to grieve etc etc.

If I were Number 10 at this stage, I'd be looking to 'fess up early, pay some fixed penalty notices, and end the police aspect sharp-ish. I don't buy the "well, this gives the PM some time" argument. Police crawling over it for any period is a horrible look (and the outcome of 'fessing up isn't actually people going into the dock in this case - the police issue a fine, and they write a cheque).
    I agree
    I think you've got confused. Saying "I can't comment pending the police investigation" is more damning for the Conservative Party. It is, however, Boris' best hope of making it out of February personally. And we know which one Boris cares more about.
    Yes, the situation is clarifying. It's in the interests of the country for Boris Johnson to resign. It's in the interests of our politics for Boris Johnson to resign. It's in the interests of the Conservative Party for Boris Johnson to resign. There is only one entity for whom Boris Johnson resigning is not in their interests - Boris Johnson. His lack of concern for anything and anybody other than himself is laid bare here. It's a total QED on this should there still be those requiring it.
  • Options
    boulay said:

The following are examples of acts which may constitute the offence, although General Charging Practice, above in this guidance and Charging Practice for Public Justice Offences, above in this guidance should be carefully considered before preferring a charge of perverting the course of justice:

persuading, or attempting to persuade, by intimidation, harm or otherwise, a witness not to give evidence, to alter his evidence or to give false evidence;
    interference with jurors with a view to influencing their verdict;
    false alibis and interference with evidence or exhibits, for example blood and DNA samples;
    providing false details of identity to the police or courts with a view to avoiding the consequences of a police investigation or prosecution;
    giving false information, or agreeing to give false information, to the police with a view to frustrating a police inquiry; for example, lying as to who was driving when a road traffic accident occurred;
    lending a driving licence to another to produce to the police following a notice to produce, thereby avoiding an offence of driving whilst disqualified being discovered;
    agreeing to give false evidence;
    concealing or destroying evidence concerning a police investigation to avoid arrest;
    assisting others to evade arrest for a significant period of time; and
    making a false allegation which wrongfully exposes another person to the risk of arrest, imprisonment pending trial, and possible wrongful conviction and sentence.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/public-justice-offences-incorporating-charging-standard
  • Options
    And

It is likely that perverting the course of justice will be the appropriate charge when:

the acts wrongfully expose another person to risk of arrest or prosecution;
    the obstruction of a police investigation is premeditated, prolonged or elaborate;
    the acts hide from the police the commission of a serious crime;
    a police investigation into serious crime has been significantly or wholly frustrated or misled;
    the arrest of a wanted person for a serious crime has been prevented or substantially delayed, particularly if the wanted person presents a danger to the public or commits further crimes;
    the acts completely frustrate a drink/drive investigation thereby enabling the accused to avoid a mandatory disqualification;
    the acts strike at the evidence in the case. For example, influencing a vital witness to give evidence/altered evidence/false evidence, or destroying vital exhibits or frustrating a scientific examination;
    the acts enable a defendant to secure bail when he would probably not have otherwise secured it;
    the acts strike at the proceedings in a fundamental way. (For example, by giving a false name so as to avoid a mandatory disqualification or a 'totting' disqualification: giving false details which might significantly influence the sentence passed; giving details which may result in a caution instead of prosecution);
    concerted attempts to interfere with jurors; attacks on counsel or the judge; or conduct designed to cause the proceedings to be completely abandoned);
    a concerted attempt has been made to influence significant witnesses, particularly if accompanied by serious violence;

the sentencing powers of the court for an alternative offence would be inadequate.
  • Options
    'The BBC understands the Gray report won't be published while police investigate.'

Looks like Boris may now be safe until the local elections at least then given a police investigation will take months

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60123850
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

"you shag one sheep"
    All we need is a bit of time travel and we have PB's first and best drama series.

Now if only there was a PB'er with literary skills, some time on his hands and access to London's finest literary agents .......
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited January 2022
    Cookie said:

https://unherd.com/thepost/to-witness-the-covid-divide-walk-from-brooklyn-to-queens/

Essentially, the covid divide in America is not red vs blue but is class based: the urban wealthy are very keen on covid rules, the unwealthy are not.

As a trivial example, on the Metrolink in Manchester, for example, masking seems much more common the Altrincham line than on the Manchester Airport line.

Also, there have been plenty of anecdotes about (eg) mask compliance being higher in Waitrose than Lidl.
  • Options

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

WHY IS LOOKING AT THE SEA SO SOOTHING?

That is the big question of the day. Because it is. You look at it, especially in warm sun, and something inside is calmed and stilled. is it the changing changelessness? The eternity-ness? Does it remind of us of the amniotic wash of the womb? The maternal heartbeat of the crumpling waves? Never ending and reassuring?

Or is it the ozone? Or the promise of other places? Escape? Or the idea of sushi?

*turns to look at sea*

*is soothed*

There's sea and there's sea. I guess it's soothing knowing one's not in this.

Yep it's nonsense to say the sea is always soothing. Trying telling that to a trawlerman. Or anyone who knows the southern ocean.

Written by a typical landlubber metropolitan (Camden town) elitist who should have better things to do than sit on here whilst on a Sri Lankan holiday.
    I’m not on holiday you humourless pigs nipple. I’m working from a temporary home. In the sun. By the sea. Which is why I’m not sightseeing

Two weeks ago I looked at the daunting number of assignments and commissions I had coming in. A lot of work. Now, I like my work. Sometimes I love it. But it is still work

Then I thought: wait, I don’t have to do this in Camden in freezing January and February. I can do it somewhere lovely and cheap and sunny and, yes, by the sea

I examined the possibilities (Covid permitting) and thought: yay, three or four weeks in Sri Lanka? What an excellent decision it was
    Absolutely. The joy of the post-Covid world is that you can live where you like and commute by computer for so many of the occasions where your physical presence was needed.

Which is why we moved up here. That my clients are in Bucharest and I'm about to open an office for them in London doesn't mean I can't live in peace in the Scottish countryside.

BTW, all the talk of the sea. Its *epic* being here. The east coast from Fraserburgh to Aberdeen is mostly long sandy dunes and beaches, or the north coast where its massive cliffs and tiny fishing villages and small towns nestled amongst them. I can run along miles of beach, walk along clifftops then along the shoreline on the way back, see everything from gentle swells to towering storm waves battering in, and a stack of fishing trawlers and oil tankers. And a choice of functioning lighthouses.

I bloody love it up here.
    I hope your view isn't knackered by all the offshore wind coming your way....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

'The BBC understands the Gray report won't be published while police investigate.'

Looks like Boris may now be safe until the local elections at least then given a police investigation will take months

I would not bet on it
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

I would not bet on it
    If there has been no VONC announced by Sir Graham Brady by COP Friday evening then I would bet on it actually, now the Gray report has been kicked into the long grass
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    kinabalu said:

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    BREAKING: Sue Gray will not publish her partygate report while the Met police investigate. So it will not be published this week and probably not for many weeks. This is some kind of reprieve for the prime minister. She will continue her investigation though

There's an argument that this is very much in Starmer's interest. The story keeps rumbling on while the Government is holed beneath the waterline, every week or two Dom feeds another scrap to the ravenous newspapers, and the Conservatives retain their lame duck leader.
    Not sure Cummings is going to be able to continue his stories while a police investigation is proceeding
    What is the legal position? If you're accused of burglary and the police are investigating, is there a law that says I can't go round telling people that I saw you creeping around in a hoodie, jangling skeleton keys? It's a convenient excuse not to talk, of course, but unlike contempt of court for influencing ongoing proceedings, I don't think there's a "contempt of police" law?

But yes, its probably good for both Starmer and Johnson, and bad news for Sunak. The public weariness with the story will increase over time, though, so Starmer can't just keep asking questions on parties. I'd think the Labour line will be "Look at problem X (fuel prices, disruption, etc.), why is the Government so weak and preoccupied?"

There is no doubt every question will be batted away that this now a police investigation

Batting away every question with "there is a police investigation" is surely a more damaging response than "wait for Sue Gray"?

The problem is that every time that answer is given, it reminds people that this is a CRIMINAL matter as well as being hugely insensitive at a time when family occasions were missed, people couldn't say goodbye to loved ones, the Queen sat alone to grieve etc etc.

If I were Number 10 at this stage, I'd be looking to 'fess up early, pay some fixed penalty notices, and end the police aspect sharp-ish. I don't buy the "well, this gives the PM some time" argument. Police crawling over it for any period is a horrible look (and the outcome of 'fessing up isn't actually people going into the dock in this case - the police issue a fine, and they write a cheque).
    I agree
    I think you've got confused. Saying "I can't comment pending the police investigation" is more damning for the Conservative Party. It is, however, Boris' best hope of making it out of February personally. And we know which one Boris cares more about.
    Yes, the situation is clarifying. It's in the interests of the country for Boris Johnson to resign. It's in the interests of our politics for Boris Johnson to resign. It's in the interests of the Conservative Party for Boris Johnson to resign. There is only one entity for whom Boris Johnson resigning is not in their interests - Boris Johnson. His lack of concern for anything and anybody other than himself is laid bare here. It's a total QED on this should there still be those requiring it.
    Don't forget Mrs Johnson.
  • Options

Did I not say it was Perverting the Course of Justice when that story first broke?
  • Options

Where are the letters?

There will be none. Or not enough anyway.

The Tory brand will be damaged but still the cowards will stay their hands.
  • Options

And

It is likely that perverting the course of justice will be the appropriate charge when:

the obstruction of a police investigation is premeditated, prolonged or elaborate;
    a police investigation into serious crime has been significantly or wholly frustrated or misled;
    the arrest of a wanted person for a serious crime has been prevented or substantially delayed, particularly if the wanted person presents a danger to the public or commits further crimes;
    the acts completely frustrate a drink/drive investigation thereby enabling the accused to avoid a mandatory disqualification;
    the acts strike at the evidence in the case. For example, influencing a vital witness to give evidence/altered evidence/false evidence, or destroying vital exhibits or frustrating a scientific examination;
    the acts enable a defendant to secure bail when he would probably not have otherwise secured it;
    the acts strike at the proceedings in a fundamental way. (For example, by giving a false name so as to avoid a mandatory disqualification or a 'totting' disqualification: giving false details which might significantly influence the sentence passed; giving details which may result in a caution instead of prosecution);
    concerted attempts to interfere with jurors; attacks on counsel or the judge; or conduct designed to cause the proceedings to be completely abandoned);
    a concerted attempt has been made to influence significant witnesses, particularly if accompanied by serious violence;

the sentencing powers of the court for an alternative offence would be inadequate.

That’s really the point to my badly worded question - it’s clear that messing with evidence etc would be an offence in relation to a police investigation or a trial but if it’s a “work investigation” and you tell someone to get rid of embarrassing photos (ok you might get sacked) and then it later develops into a police investigation can that person then be done for destroying evidence as they weren’t destroying evidence for a trial/police investigation but were messing with a “work investigation”.

TL/DR would anyone really be shitting themselves for telling people to clear their phones for Gray now it’s moved to the police or are they ok by technicality?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425
    Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

Having been to Foula, I can personally near-guarantee they broke lockdown laws. There’s only about 40 of them on the island, but they have a strong tradition of getting together to get absolutely shit-faced through the winter. As you would, on an island which is regularly cut off for weeks. What else is there to do? And there are zero police

How about the South Shetland Islands, there might be a solitary boffin there, willing to judge us all
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668
    Cyclefree said:

boulay said:

@Cyclefree Can you explain why Gray can't report until after the police investigation? I assume it is to prevent prejudicing a prosecution, but I don't understand why as anything in the report can be refuted or confirmed in court and if the report had been produced last week I assume that wouldn't stop a prosecution.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Cyclefree said:

An ingenious reworking of The Trial by Kafka. I think it could be a goer
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Ah ; Johnson coming to the Commons in an hour - but for a statement on the Ukraine. Sub-Churchillian mode engaged, away from the petty trifles and tittle-tattle.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

Having been to Foula, I can personally near-guarantee they broke lockdown laws. There’s only about 40 of them on the island, but they have a strong tradition of getting together to get absolutely shit-faced through the winter. As you would, on an island which is regularly cut off for weeks. What else is there to do? And there are zero police

How about the South Shetland Islands, there might be a solitary boffin there, willing to judge us all
    An island cut off from civilisation sounds like an awesome place to be, when there’s a nasty virus going around the rest of the world!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes. Because hiding behind "I am the accused and have already admitted to having broken the law. The matter is with the police and therefore sub judice and you can't talk about it" will definitely hold.

This just gets worse and worse for you.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Good point. It is difficult to believe any government is happening. Ukraine and the huge current delays at borders should be the headlines in the news.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,273

It's OK it's only the Met.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

"you shag one sheep"
    All we need is a bit of time travel and we have PB's first and best drama series.

Now if only there was a PB'er with literary skills, some time on his hands and access to London's finest literary agents .......
    There are several million of them, I believe. All in one Black Cab.
  • Options
    boulay said:

And

That’s really the point to my badly worded question - it’s clear that messing with evidence etc would be an offence in relation to a police investigation or a trial but if it’s a “work investigation” and you tell someone to get rid of embarrassing photos (ok you might get sacked) and then it later develops into a police investigation can that person then be done for destroying evidence as they weren’t destroying evidence for a trial/police investigation but were messing with a “work investigation”.

TL/DR would anyone really be shitting themselves for telling people to clear their phones for Gray now it’s moved to the police or are they ok by technicality?
    See these tweets, first one is an expert

https://twitter.com/lesscrime/status/1485947214841225217?s=21

https://twitter.com/cjayanetti/status/1485947567338921994?s=21
  • Options
    "As a result of info provided by cabinet office and my officers own assessment I can confirm Met is investigating" says Cressida Dick.

I wonder what that phrase in bold refers to.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

"As a result of info provided by cabinet office and my officers own assessment I can confirm Met is investigating" says Cressida Dick.

You think it's a wagging finger?
  • Options

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

That is the big question of the day. Because it is. You look at it, especially in warm sun, and something inside is calmed and stilled. is it the changing changelessness? The eternity-ness? Does it remind of us of the amniotic wash of the womb? The maternal heartbeat of the crumpling waves? Never ending and reassuring?

Or is it the ozone? Or the promise of other places? Escape? Or the idea of sushi?

*turns to look at sea*

*is soothed*

Yep it's nonsense to say the sea is always soothing. Trying telling that to a trawlerman. Or anyone who knows the southern ocean.

Written by a typical landlubber metropolitan (Camden town) elitist who should have better things to do than sit on here whilst on a Sri Lankan holiday.
    I’m not on holiday you humourless pigs nipple. I’m working from a temporary home. In the sun. By the sea. Which is why I’m not sightseeing

Two weeks ago I looked at the daunting number of assignments and commissions I had coming in. A lot of work. Now, I like my work. Sometimes I love it. But it is still work

Then I thought: wait, I don’t have to do this in Camden in freezing January and February. I can do it somewhere lovely and cheap and sunny and, yes, by the sea

I examined the possibilities (Covid permitting) and thought: yay, three or four weeks in Sri Lanka? What an excellent decision it was
    Absolutely. The joy of the post-Covid world is that you can live where you like and commute by computer for so many of the occasions where your physical presence was needed.

Which is why we moved up here. That my clients are in Bucharest and I'm about to open an office for them in London doesn't mean I can't live in peace in the Scottish countryside.

BTW, all the talk of the sea. Its *epic* being here. The east coast from Fraserburgh to Aberdeen is mostly long sandy dunes and beaches, or the north coast where its massive cliffs and tiny fishing villages and small towns nestled amongst them. I can run along miles of beach, walk along clifftops then along the shoreline on the way back, see everything from gentle swells to towering storm waves battering in, and a stack of fishing trawlers and oil tankers. And a choice of functioning lighthouses.

"’m not on holiday you humourless pigs nipple. I’m working from a temporary home. In the sun. By the sea. Which is why I’m not sightseeing "

So @Leon imported a ton of flint into Sri Lanka and is knapping away in a bar that has run out of tonic?
  • Options

boulay said:

And

Thanks v much
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,076

Where are the letters?

There will be none. Or not enough anyway.

The Tory brand will be damaged but still the cowards will stay their hands.
    I said on here at the beginning of this fiasco that the PCP were spineless and full of hot air, and that Bozza was going nowhere.

I was laughed out of court on PB.

Not least by the pompous @IshmaelZ .

But, it looks like I will be right.

Funny old world.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

boulay said:

And

That's get the timing back to last week and the launch of the Gray inquiry. What about deleting emails after the first news stories came out - on the basis of those 2 tweets that looks legal
  • Options

Ah ; Johnson coming to the Commons in an hour - but for a statement on the Ukraine. Sub-Churchillian mode engaged, away from the petty trifles and tittle-tattle.

Indeed, if rebels have not launched a VONC by COP Friday they should shut up and get behind Boris and let him get on with the important task of being PM.

Any further action can then wait until the local elections and the Met report and unless Boris, as opposed to just other No 10 staff, is found to then have broken the law or sees huge Tory losses in May he can continue after that too
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes. Because hiding behind "I am the accused and have already admitted to having broken the law. The matter is with the police and therefore sub judice and you can't talk about it" will definitely hold.

But @hyufd may not be wrong, other than it might be years rather than months. I was a witness in an election fraud case. It was cut and dry and it was simple. It took the CPS 2 years to halt the case for lack of evidence. I was dumfounded.
  • Options

boulay said:

And

I knew if we waited long enough Labour would choose the right leader at the right time
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    kinabalu said:

Robert Peston
    @Peston

I agree
    Have you been watching A Very Secret Service on Netflix?

C'est QED!
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Hm..

"Partygate report to be delayed for WEEKS because of police probe: Met chief announces criminal investigation as 'upset' Cabinet minister refuses to defend Boris's birthday party (so has Cressida Dick done PM a FAVOUR?)"

..says the Mail's banner headline.

It's as if the story and its momentum in the press has become too toxic to easily slide out of.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I would not bet on it
    If there has been no VONC announced by Sir Graham Brady by COP Friday evening then I would bet on it actually, now the Gray report has been kicked into the long grass
    I'm sure Boris must be jubilant that the police are investigating.

He'll probably throw a party to celebrate.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    eek said:

Did anyone pick up threat to Tory MPs from an hour ago

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1485903402282463232
    Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Exclusive:

Boris Johnson allies warn Tory MPs getting rid of PM likely to lead to a general election

Chris Pincher yesterday addressed 70-strong 'support group' for PM including several Cab ministers

He highlighted May & Johnson calling elections

Nice job you have - you don't want to lose it now do you.

What a laugh.
    May called an election eleven months later, because she has a 24% poll lead.
    Johnson called an election because he had 288 MPs in the House, a minority of 43 short.

And in each case, it was THEM as the 'successor' that called it.
    Are the Whips threatening that Sunak would call an election? With a majority of 80 I doubt it (well, 76 at the moment).
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

A deputation of her most senior officers recreated the scenes in Line of Duty where Hastings has to please with the DCC / DAC to please let him investigate wrongdoing (by the DCC / DAC) as the evidence is clear and self-evident.

Quite how HY thinks this is a good day for The Accused is beyond me. Only a few days ago the Gray report was being spun as likely to be redacted to death. Then demands to publish in full and we start getting leaks of just how damning the evidence submitted has been to prevent such redacting. And now plod are taking the "we had a party so what" approach of Number 10 and actually going after it.

We've gone from classic Whitehall hush job to Warts and All report but won't accuse him of anything too awful to "yeah we had a party so what it was only a cake" and plod having to investigate the stuff Downing Street can't lie about any more.

Remember that the straw that broke the dam was the birthday party. Deployed with beautiful timing by Cummings. And he has a further 24 Aces in his card deck to throw out at the most optimally painful time.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    edited January 2022
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

You think it's a wagging finger?
    I should imagine it is a result of the officers in question providing their "damning" evidence to the enquiry as private citizens, having previously been told by the Met that their evidence wasn't required, thankyouverymuch. Their evidence is now very definitely required as it always was and the Met certainly weren't trying to cover things up at a high level, oh no, it's just that wheels turn, the law takes its due course etc.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

eek said:

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Exclusive:

Boris Johnson allies warn Tory MPs getting rid of PM likely to lead to a general election

Chris Pincher yesterday addressed 70-strong 'support group' for PM including several Cab ministers

As the FTPA is still in place a large number of Con MPs would have to vote for said election. Good luck with that lol...
    True (assuming Labour voted against), but unlike last time it wouldn't require any opposition MPs to support it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,345
    edited January 2022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

But @hyufd may not be wrong, other than it might be years rather than months. I was a witness in an election fraud case. It was cut and dry and it was simple. It took the CPS 2 years to halt the case for lack of evidence. I was dumfounded.
    Ex Met police officer has just said that as this is a criminal investigation the previous witness statement are voided as the police interview under police caution and new statements made

If true this could go on for a long-time but I am not qualified to say whether the officer is correct

Also what happens to multiple alleged breaches
  • Options
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

Good point. It is difficult to believe any government is happening. Ukraine and the huge current delays at borders should be the headlines in the news.
    I worked for a certain large oil company, with a famous and prominent landmark London office. A tower, from the days when towers were unusual.

In the aftermath of 7/11 they commissioned a report from an external consultancy. An unusually stupid external consultancy.

The report was on the world wide effect on said oil company if the HQ building was destroyed.

The fools in the external company diligently reported that it would have no noticeable effect on the operations of the oil company. Which implied that profits would go up - since without the cost of the HQ and staff.....

The report was, of course, denounced as useless. And the external company marked as "do not use".

By the directors sitting on the top floor of said building.
  • Options
    Peston:

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-25/peston-why-the-met-police-probe-of-partygate-is-terrible-for-boris-johnson

TLDR: It's the Tory party that is now in the shit more than Johnson.
  • Options
    While we are all focused on partygate, Omicron OMG, alias BA2, is still out there, lurking. It has completely overtaken BA1 infections in Denmark, and is rising exponentially, from a low base, in the Netherlands, UK, Germany and France. Is this something to worry about?

Yes, perhaps:

“After contracting Omicron, “we could potentially recontaminate ourselves with BA.2”, warns Olivier Véran #BA2 #Variant”

https://twitter.com/le_parisien/status/1485946479139303426?s=21

• Options
    edited January 2022
    kjh said:

Cyclefree said:

boulay said:

@Cyclefree Can you explain why Gray can't report until after the police investigation? I assume it is to prevent prejudicing a prosecution, but I don't understand why as anything in the report can be refuted or confirmed in court and if the report had been produced last week I assume that wouldn't stop a prosecution.
    It's down to the Terms of Reference I understand.

An internal disciplinary report could certainly be concluded and action taken. But the problem here is that if you uncover evidence of a potential crime and you report it to the police then the police will want their investigation to take precedence.

We had just this issue in the Adoboli case. Disciplinary proceedings against some of his colleagues could only take place once it was confirmed that the police would not be charging them. The final FCA report into the bank was not published until after the conclusion of the criminal trial etc.

When the original Case investigation was set up I suspect little thought was given to the implications hence the current mess.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    General question:

Has a sitting Prime Minister ever been investigated by the police for crimes whilst in office before?
    I recall Blair was questioned under caution in 2004/5. Is this the same thing?

Johnson should resign. It is completely unacceptable to be even in this position, let alone try to think you can brazen it out.
  • Options
    I wonder if the police being involved, means that the government are intending to ‘get’ Cummings?

One of those very irregular verbs:
    I tip off a friendly journalist
    You besmirch the reputation of the government
    They breach the Official Secrets Act.
  • Options
    Apologies if anybody's made this point before, but there's a limit to the number of comments I have time to read....

Putting on one side the hypocrisy of making rules that apparently don't apply to you, the rule maker, did the rule makers not believe "the science" that they claimed necessitated those rules? Because if they had believed it, the reason for not having gatherings, not singing and filling the air with virus aerosols, and so on, was to minimise the risk of people catching COVID, right? And these were supposedly people important to the running of the country during a crisis, right? And given that we'd seen the Fat Owl of the Remove laid up in intensive care with COVID, and thus putting the country in the questionable care of one Dominic Raab, shouldn't the responsible thing be to try and minimise the risk of something similar happening again?

But hey, Downing St is quite possibly a parallel universe where none of this applies.
  • Options

Peston:

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-25/peston-why-the-met-police-probe-of-partygate-is-terrible-for-boris-johnson

TLDR: It's the Tory party that is now in the shit more than Johnson.

Yeah, but it's Peston. It could well be true, but MRDA.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095
    kinabalu said:

assuming Tory MPs wimp out

BoZo sacking every Tory MP with the wit and gumption to oppose his shit Brexit deal pays off again...
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Just seen the news, this abuse of democracy has actually made me feel sick in the pit of my stomach. It shouldn’t be hard to get 54 letters in. If they can’t manage that and allow this lying crook to swagger on at a time of international emergency, then none of them deserve to be re-elected and it might be decades before I next dare put a cross against the name of any Conservative candidate.
  • Options
    If a terrible new variant arrives in a few months there will be no lockdown remotely possible while PM is under investigation by the police for breaking his own lockdown rules last time.
  • Options

eek said:

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Exclusive:

What a laugh.
    May called an election eleven months later, because she has a 24% poll lead.
    Johnson called an election because he had 288 MPs in the House, a minority of 43 short.

And in each case, it was THEM as the 'successor' that called it.
    Are the Whips threatening that Sunak would call an election? With a majority of 80 I doubt it (well, 76 at the moment).
    Don't forget there's only two years left soon in this Parliament realistically.

Quite possible that Sunak might feel he could get say a 50 seat majority after taking over, which would be good enough for him, give him his own mandate, and reset the clock so he has five years not two.

Majority falling from 80 to 50 seats is OK for the PM. If you're in a marginal and may be one of the thirty lost on the other hand . . .
  • Options
    Here we go Crabbe, saying no leadership while Ukraine is in trouble.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    boulay said:

And

Can we look forward to the prime minister claiming the deletion of emails was purely work-related?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Cookie said:

Trafford Bar, Stretford, Dane Road, Timperley and Broadheath - the Rolls Royce density is what....? Zero squared? :smiley:
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I wonder if the police being involved, means that the government are intending to ‘get’ Cummings?

One of Bernard's originals, in fact:

I occasionally give confidential briefings to the press
    You leak
    He has been prosecuted under Section 2A of the Official Secrets Act.

(I enjoyed the Mastermind episode this series where one of the contestants had Yes (Prime) Minister as his specialist subject!) :)
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,250
    MISTY said:

The idea that there is a personal BoJo vote that might be lost if he is ditched doesn't stand up to scrutiny. The reason that the Tories are still polling into the thirties and even recover a bit until the next revelation in a weird sort of rhythm is that there is a big reservoir of anti-labour sentiment. The Tories would be wise to act soon though as delay will weaken them long-term. Is there any exit path carrot to persuade the blighter to resign? There are plenty of sticks but it seems to need a big club.

It looks like removing Boris Johnson is now going to be left to the electorate.
    I'm sure, given the chance, we will oblige...
  • Options
    And here we go: "I think Julia you are prejudging the police" Crabbe tells Julia HB on BBC 2
  • Options
    Chris said:

boulay said:

And

Can we look forward to the prime minister claiming the deletion of emails was purely work-related?
    If my past as a hired assassin comes out then I’m definitely using the “work related” murder defence.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    tlg86 said:

Weekly deaths update:

https://tinyurl.com/2p8n8xjn

COVID deaths at their highest since 12 March 2021. Non-COVID deaths pretty good for this time of year.

Week-ending | 5-year average | COVID deaths | non-COVID deaths | non-COVID deaths in excess of the 5-year average

24-Sep-21 | 9,264 | 888 | 9,796 | 532
    01-Oct-21 | 9,377 | 783 | 9,727 | 350
    08-Oct-21 | 9,555 | 666 | 10,141 | 586
    15-Oct-21 | 9,811 | 713 | 10,464 | 653
    22-Oct-21 | 9,865 | 792 | 10,516 | 651
    29-Oct-21 | 9,759 | 859 | 10,128 | 369
    05-Nov-21 | 9,891 | 995 | 10,555 | 664
    12-Nov-21 | 10,331 | 1,020 | 11,030 | 699
    19-Nov-21 | 10,350 | 952 | 11,151 | 801
    26-Nov-21 | 10,380 | 817 | 10,650 | 270
    03-Dec-21 | 10,357 | 792 | 10,867 | 510
    10-Dec-21 | 10,695 | 764 | 11,166 | 471
    17-Dec-21 | 10,750 | 755 | 11,645 | 895
    24-Dec-21 | 11,548 | 591 | 12,419 | 871
    31-Dec-21 | 7,954 | 582 | 7,895 | -59
    07-Jan-22 | 12,194* | 922 | 11,340 | -854
    14-Jan-22 | 13,387* | 1,382 | 11,929 | -1,458

* I'm using 2016 to 2020. The ONS are using 2016 to 2019 and 2021, which seems silly to me. I guess they don't want to switch at the end of March, which is what I will do, and think it's best to have the five-year average inflated by COVID now but then not so much after March.

Just coming back to this, I wonder if this is helping...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/record-level-of-flu-jab-uptake-in-those-aged-65-and-over

Of people aged 65 and over, 81.4% have already come forward for their flu vaccination this season, according to the latest data from the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA). This is the highest uptake in this age group on record, above the end of season uptake of 80.9% last year.
  • Options

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

*turns to look at sea*

*is soothed*

"’m not on holiday you humourless pigs nipple. I’m working from a temporary home. In the sun. By the sea. Which is why I’m not sightseeing "

So @Leon imported a ton of flint into Sri Lanka and is knapping away in a bar that has run out of tonic?
    He seems to have a way with words. I'm going to get him writing our new PB drama as per the plot outline above. It will be better for him. All that flint knapping can't be good for his hands.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

boulay said:

The following are examples of acts which may constitute the offence, although General Charging Practice, above in this guidance and Charging Practice for Public Justice Offences, above in this guidance should be carefully considered before preferring a charge of perverting the course of justice:

persuading, or attempting to persuade, by intimidation, harm or otherwise, a witness not to give evidence, to alter his evidence or to give false evidence;
    false alibis and interference with evidence or exhibits, for example blood and DNA samples;
    providing false details of identity to the police or courts with a view to avoiding the consequences of a police investigation or prosecution;
    giving false information, or agreeing to give false information, to the police with a view to frustrating a police inquiry; for example, lying as to who was driving when a road traffic accident occurred;
    lending a driving licence to another to produce to the police following a notice to produce, thereby avoiding an offence of driving whilst disqualified being discovered;
    concealing or destroying evidence concerning a police investigation to avoid arrest;
    making a false allegation which wrongfully exposes another person to the risk of arrest, imprisonment pending trial, and possible wrongful conviction and sentence.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/public-justice-offences-incorporating-charging-standard
    As the BBC states we are talking about a possible PCN here, not some kind of grand larceny 20 stretch.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Could Putin save Boris?
    It would, surely, be impossible for Boris to stand down and for there to be a power transition while we at war. I know it happened in 1940, but that was in a very different era
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Sandpit said:

You leak

(I enjoyed the Mastermind episode this series where one of the contestants had Yes (Prime) Minister as his specialist subject!) :)
    As always, Bernard got there first! How many of today’s politicians and civil servants thought Y(P)M was a documentary?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,250

Sandpit said:

One of the oldest tricks in the book.
    As per the Nazis with Poland in 1939...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

Here we go Crabbe, saying no leadership while Ukraine is in trouble.

JHB knocked that argument on the head in the obvious fashion.
  • Options
    The only choice for Tories is now is to VONC the Bozza

That would clear the air: to an extent. If Boris wins, so be it, he carries on (and we wait for the cops to report), if not, we’re off to the races, because he’s gone

Just letting it all suppurate is calamitous

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095
    NEW: The Met will start its own investigation into Number 10 parties from scratch with their own officers conducting any interviews.
    Source tells me it will take “weeks, not days.”
    A team of detectives from Scotland Yard’s Special Enquiries team will lead the investigation.

https://twitter.com/SkyAndyHughes/status/1485953516174819328
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

boulay said:

As the BBC states we are talking about a possible PCN here, not some kind of grand larceny 20 stretch.
    Cressida Dick did seem to say it was simply a question of issuing fixed penalty notices to those attending illegal gatherings

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

kjh said:

Cyclefree said:

boulay said:

It's down to the Terms of Reference I understand.

An internal disciplinary report could certainly be concluded and action taken. But the problem here is that if you uncover evidence of a potential crime and you report it to the police then the police will want their investigation to take precedence.

We had just this issue in the Adoboli case. Disciplinary proceedings against some of his colleagues could only take place once it was confirmed that the police would not be charging them. The final FCA report into the bank was not published until after the conclusion of the criminal trial etc.

When the original Case investigation was set up I suspect little thought was given to the implications hence the current mess.
    Would Cummings stunt that upset you yesterday of refusing to be interviewed would be harder to pull off if the Police are now involved?
  • Options
    Jeez, how desperate is Crabbe to get back into cabinet?

What a performance.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: The Met will start its own investigation into Number 10 parties from scratch with their own officers conducting any interviews.
    Source tells me it will take “weeks, not days.”
    A team of detectives from Scotland Yard’s Special Enquiries team will lead the investigation.

https://twitter.com/SkyAndyHughes/status/1485953516174819328

That was my point earlier
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    Sandpit said:

Applicant said:

Sandpit said:

You leak

As always, Bernard got there first! How many of today’s politicians and civil servants thought Y(P)M was a documentary?
    Very few, I should think - or they might have learned its lessons!
  • Options
    Leon said:

The only choice for Tories is now is to VONC the Bozza

That would clear the air: to an extent. If Boris wins, so be it, he carries on (and we wait for the cops to report), if not, we’re off to the races, because he’s gone

Just letting it all suppurate is calamitous

Yup. But they won't. They're frit.
This discussion has been closed.