Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Current revelations put the Barnard Castle trip into context – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Apologies if anybody's made this point before, but there's a limit to the number of comments I have time to read....

Putting on one side the hypocrisy of making rules that apparently don't apply to you, the rule maker, did the rule makers not believe "the science" that they claimed necessitated those rules? Because if they had believed it, the reason for not having gatherings, not singing and filling the air with virus aerosols, and so on, was to minimise the risk of people catching COVID, right? And these were supposedly people important to the running of the country during a crisis, right? And given that we'd seen the Fat Owl of the Remove laid up in intensive care with COVID, and thus putting the country in the questionable care of one Dominic Raab, shouldn't the responsible thing be to try and minimise the risk of something similar happening again?

But hey, Downing St is quite possibly a parallel universe where none of this applies.

I guess that the point is that you can believe the science when it says that reducing the R relies on the vast majority complying with a strict set of rules, whilst still seeking to avoid the rules yourself.

It's horribly selfish, but perfectly consistent, to think that a good outcome is for everyone except me to follow the rules. Burglars no doubt get annoyed when their house is broken into.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    TOPPING said:

boulay said:

You know those people who told other people to delete (phone) records of the parties must be shitting bricks right now as the police have become involved.

Destroying evidence is a crime.

As I’m not a lawyer would you or Cyclefree clarify if that’s relevant here? I’m clear that destroying evidence during a police investigation is a crime however does the Gray investigation have the same legal status as a police investigation?

I suppose what I’m asking is, would destroying evidence/clearing embarrassing photos, be a legal offence in the parameter’s of the Gray investigation rather than just something that can be remarked upon and if the evidence was removed before the police investigation was announced can they be in legal trouble for destroying evidence?

Does a burglar get in more legal trouble, if he burnt the swag bag he used for the burglary, if he did it straight after the burglary as opposed to after being subject to a police investigation it’s a separate crime if he sneaks out at night and destroys this evidence?
    The following are examples of acts which may constitute the offence, although General Charging Practice, above in this guidance and Charging Practice for Public Justice Offences, above in this guidance should be carefully considered before preferring a charge of perverting the course of justice:

persuading, or attempting to persuade, by intimidation, harm or otherwise, a witness not to give evidence, to alter his evidence or to give false evidence;
    interference with jurors with a view to influencing their verdict;
    false alibis and interference with evidence or exhibits, for example blood and DNA samples;
    providing false details of identity to the police or courts with a view to avoiding the consequences of a police investigation or prosecution;
    giving false information, or agreeing to give false information, to the police with a view to frustrating a police inquiry; for example, lying as to who was driving when a road traffic accident occurred;
    lending a driving licence to another to produce to the police following a notice to produce, thereby avoiding an offence of driving whilst disqualified being discovered;
    agreeing to give false evidence;
    concealing or destroying evidence concerning a police investigation to avoid arrest;
    assisting others to evade arrest for a significant period of time; and
    making a false allegation which wrongfully exposes another person to the risk of arrest, imprisonment pending trial, and possible wrongful conviction and sentence.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/public-justice-offences-incorporating-charging-standard
    As the BBC states we are talking about a possible PCN here, not some kind of grand larceny 20 stretch.
    Indeed, everyone going bonkers about possible ‘offences’ on the level of a parking ticket.

Meanwhile, there’s more than £4bn missing from the Covid recovery fund, and it looks like there’s a war about to break out in Eastern Europe.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,488
    Leon said:

While we are all focused on partygate, Omicron OMG, alias BA2, is still out there, lurking. It has completely overtaken BA1 infections in Denmark, and is rising exponentially, from a low base, in the Netherlands, UK, Germany and France. Is this something to worry about?

Yes, perhaps:

“After contracting Omicron, “we could potentially recontaminate ourselves with BA.2”, warns Olivier Véran #BA2 #Variant”

https://twitter.com/le_parisien/status/1485946479139303426?s=21

QTWAIN

Even if the differences are sufficient to enable common reinfection with the new strain after a short time, infections are likely to be progressively milder:
    - We now have a more boosted poulation than when Omicron hit
    - We now have a more previously infected population (indeed, many with the most closely related strain)

Having ridden out the Omicron wave, it's very hard to see massive healthcare pressures from this, even if people were able to get reinfected. We could, possibly, if reinfection is common get another spike in cases.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    franklyn said:

Could Putin save Boris?
    It would, surely, be impossible for Boris to stand down and for there to be a power transition while we at war. I know it happened in 1940, but that was in a very different era

Me on 8th December before most people on here even knew there was a country called Ukraine:

Boris: Hi Vlad
    Vladimir: Alyosha, I know what this is about. You need distraction, no?
    Boris: Haha, you know me so well!
    Vladimir: ...
    Boris: So if you want to, you know...
    Vladimir: I was going to anyway.
    Boris: Ok, well, good luck then. Would you mind giving me a quick call before it all, eh, you know?
    Vladimir: Я сделаю это, когда рак на горе свистнет
    Boris: What was that?
    Vladimir: Oh, I said sure thing.
    Boris: Just o--
    Vladimir: Ok, thanks for call bye.
    Boris: Oh, uh ok, cheerio then.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

boulay said:

You know those people who told other people to delete (phone) records of the parties must be shitting bricks right now as the police have become involved.

As I’m not a lawyer would you or Cyclefree clarify if that’s relevant here? I’m clear that destroying evidence during a police investigation is a crime however does the Gray investigation have the same legal status as a police investigation?

I suppose what I’m asking is, would destroying evidence/clearing embarrassing photos, be a legal offence in the parameter’s of the Gray investigation rather than just something that can be remarked upon and if the evidence was removed before the police investigation was announced can they be in legal trouble for destroying evidence?

Does a burglar get in more legal trouble, if he burnt the swag bag he used for the burglary, if he did it straight after the burglary as opposed to after being subject to a police investigation it’s a separate crime if he sneaks out at night and destroys this evidence?
    The following are examples of acts which may constitute the offence, although General Charging Practice, above in this guidance and Charging Practice for Public Justice Offences, above in this guidance should be carefully considered before preferring a charge of perverting the course of justice:

persuading, or attempting to persuade, by intimidation, harm or otherwise, a witness not to give evidence, to alter his evidence or to give false evidence;
    false alibis and interference with evidence or exhibits, for example blood and DNA samples;
    providing false details of identity to the police or courts with a view to avoiding the consequences of a police investigation or prosecution;
    giving false information, or agreeing to give false information, to the police with a view to frustrating a police inquiry; for example, lying as to who was driving when a road traffic accident occurred;
    lending a driving licence to another to produce to the police following a notice to produce, thereby avoiding an offence of driving whilst disqualified being discovered;
    concealing or destroying evidence concerning a police investigation to avoid arrest;
    making a false allegation which wrongfully exposes another person to the risk of arrest, imprisonment pending trial, and possible wrongful conviction and sentence.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/public-justice-offences-incorporating-charging-standard
    As the BBC states we are talking about a possible PCN here, not some kind of grand larceny 20 stretch.
    Cressida Dick did seem to say it was simply a question of issuing fixed penalty notices to those attending illegal gatherings

Weren't the fines supposed to escalate for repeat offences? Could put our great leader's finances under even greater strain :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Leon said:

The only choice for Tories is now is to VONC the Bozza

That would clear the air: to an extent. If Boris wins, so be it, he carries on (and we wait for the cops to report), if not, we’re off to the races, because he’s gone

Just letting it all suppurate is calamitous

Hardly. HY has already said that there is nothing to see here. So thats all you and I and everyone else need to know. The police will now drag Peppa and NutNut and Lulu and and everyone else in for interviews under caution. Replay their confessions to the garden party and the birthday party and the evidence gathered from Met Officers who have spilled the beans to Gray.

Every day there will be another twist and turn of what the PM did or didn't know. With more ace cards played by Cummings to directly contradict the latest spin lies with more revelations that the police then need to re-interview the PM under caution to understand.

Only an utter political spanner can think that the PM can remain in office. I'm not saying the '22 will immediately move because some of them are said political spanners. But the longer this goes on the worse this is for the party.

HY and others have clung to "its not relevant, not big issue stuff". Sure. But now its the police investigating breach of the Covid laws and conspiracy to Pervert the Course of Justice. Even Nixon knew he had to go.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

boulay said:

Cressida Dick did seem to say it was simply a question of issuing fixed penalty notices to those attending illegal gatherings

Weren't the fines supposed to escalate for repeat offences? Could put our great leader's finances under even greater strain :open_mouth:
    I really do not know
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,272
    Leon said:

While we are all focused on partygate, Omicron OMG, alias BA2, is still out there, lurking. It has completely overtaken BA1 infections in Denmark, and is rising exponentially, from a low base, in the Netherlands, UK, Germany and France. Is this something to worry about?

Yes, perhaps:

“After contracting Omicron, “we could potentially recontaminate ourselves with BA.2”, warns Olivier Véran #BA2 #Variant”

I see nothing to worry about. The main reason for omicron version 1 (classic) being such a paper tiger in the UK is the high level of protection from vaccination and prior infection (97% of adults with antibodies). Its entirely possible that omicron version 2 may re-infect some who have had omicron 1. So what? Chances of it being severe are exceptionally low, for the reasons discussed many times on here.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,124
    franklyn said:

Could Putin save Boris?
    It would, surely, be impossible for Boris to stand down and for there to be a power transition while we at war. I know it happened in 1940, but that was in a very different era

Boris has also been relatively tough on Putin like his hero Churchill was with Hitler, he has never been into appeasement
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    By the way tell the students who had a £10k fine that this is on the level of a parking ticket.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    Michael Ellis, speaking for govt, says: “I would urge the House to wait for the police to complete that work”
    12:40 pm · 25 Jan 2022·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1485955689902231554

There we go... kick into the long grass
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,438
    HYUFD said:

Hunt could come out against Johnson and change the game now, conceivably.

Not at the party, not a supporter of Boris, but the leading plausible alternative candidate to the relative insiders of Truss and Sunak.

I don't think party members will support Hunt.
    That may depend on the timing. If the Tories get a massive hammering at the local elections there might, just might, be a need to find someone who is seen as experienced and credible. Hopefully all but the most swivel-eyed members have moved on from their obsession with Leavers and Remainers and perhaps they realise they need someone who can actually govern.
    Hunt polls almost as badly with the public as Truss and Patel and Gove.

You may as well keep Boris if you are a Tory if those are the alternatives.

Though personally I don't mind Hunt
    It won’t be a Remainer. The division is still there so Hunt has no chance. Tho, like you, I am not personally averse
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,141
    Michael Ellis says that it may be that no one in Downing St gets slapped with a fine for breaking lockdown if cops find no rules were indeed broken
    https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1485956620223975432
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

boulay said:

Indeed, everyone going bonkers about possible ‘offences’ on the level of a parking ticket.

Meanwhile, there’s more than £4bn missing from the Covid recovery fund, and it looks like there’s a war about to break out in Eastern Europe.
    Lets look at the £4bn write off. If your suggestion is that we need to leave the accused and his team in place because its a Big Scandal, there is a problem.

Exactly who set in place the fast track PPE route to allow non-incorporated companies owned by Tories to bid without tender for £107m contracts they had no ability to fulfil? And then chose not to bother asking for the money back?

Johnson is complicit in the open corruption of PPE contracts. He is hardly the right person to start an investigation. He should be *the subject* of the investigation
  • Options

Here we go Crabbe, saying no leadership while Ukraine is in trouble.

Well, we're certainly getting no leadership..
  • Options
    Multiple sources confirm Boris Johnson didn’t tell his cabinet of the police investigation *despite knowing before cabinet started the announcement was imminent*

This has caused Cabinet incredulity, I understand.

No10 says it was too “sensitive” to share with cabinet

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1485956847597236227
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Michael Ellis says that it may be that no one in Downing St gets slapped with a fine for breaking lockdown if cops find no rules were indeed broken
    https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1485956620223975432

Cressida Dick said something similar this morning
  • Options
    Leon said:

That would clear the air: to an extent. If Boris wins, so be it, he carries on (and we wait for the cops to report), if not, we’re off to the races, because he’s gone

I don't think it does clear the air if the VONC fails. It makes Tory MPs complicit. It only clears (and then only to an extent) if Johnson goes and they say "see, actions have consequences".
  • Options

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

Meanwhile, as everyone is consumed by cakegate:

Russian special forces spotted in Ukraine, setting up a false flag operation that they will portray as a Ukranian attack on Russia, according to UK armed forces minister James Heappey.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/01/25/russia-succeeding-sowing-panic-ukraine-says-top-security-official/

Good point. It is difficult to believe any government is happening. Ukraine and the huge current delays at borders should be the headlines in the news.
    I worked for a certain large oil company, with a famous and prominent landmark London office. A tower, from the days when towers were unusual.

In the aftermath of 7/11 they commissioned a report from an external consultancy. An unusually stupid external consultancy.

The report was on the world wide effect on said oil company if the HQ building was destroyed.

The fools in the external company diligently reported that it would have no noticeable effect on the operations of the oil company. Which implied that profits would go up - since without the cost of the HQ and staff.....

The report was, of course, denounced as useless. And the external company marked as "do not use".

By the directors sitting on the top floor of said building.
    Are convenience stores open 16 hours a day really that dangerous?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

franklyn said:

Could Putin save Boris?

Boris has also been relatively tough on Putin like his hero Churchill was with Hitler, he has never been into appeasement
    Johnson's stance with Putin is nothing like Churchill's stance with Hitler. Nor should it be, as the circumstances are different.
  • Options

General question:

Has a sitting Prime Minister ever been investigated by the police for crimes whilst in office before?
    I recall Blair was questioned under caution in 2004/5. Is this the same thing?

Johnson should resign. It is completely unacceptable to be even in this position, let alone try to think you can brazen it out.

Blair did indicate that if he had been charged he would have resigned immediately.
  • Options

Leon said:

I don't think it does clear the air if the VONC fails. It makes Tory MPs complicit. It only clears (and then only to an extent) if Johnson goes and they say "see, actions have consequences".
    Actions don't have consequences though. Being the wrong type of person has consequences. Consequences are for the little people.
  • Options

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

Meanwhile, as everyone is consumed by cakegate:

Russian special forces spotted in Ukraine, setting up a false flag operation that they will portray as a Ukranian attack on Russia, according to UK armed forces minister James Heappey.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/01/25/russia-succeeding-sowing-panic-ukraine-says-top-security-official/

Good point. It is difficult to believe any government is happening. Ukraine and the huge current delays at borders should be the headlines in the news.
    I worked for a certain large oil company, with a famous and prominent landmark London office. A tower, from the days when towers were unusual.

In the aftermath of 7/11 they commissioned a report from an external consultancy. An unusually stupid external consultancy.

The report was on the world wide effect on said oil company if the HQ building was destroyed.

The fools in the external company diligently reported that it would have no noticeable effect on the operations of the oil company. Which implied that profits would go up - since without the cost of the HQ and staff.....

The report was, of course, denounced as useless. And the external company marked as "do not use".

By the directors sitting on the top floor of said building.
    Are convenience stores open 16 hours a day really that dangerous?
    Maybe something happened on 7th November?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    Scott_xP said:

Multiple sources confirm Boris Johnson didn’t tell his cabinet of the police investigation *despite knowing before cabinet started the announcement was imminent*

This has caused Cabinet incredulity, I understand.

No10 says it was too “sensitive” to share with cabinet

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1485956847597236227

"And what about the vegetables?"

"Oh, they'll have the same."
  • Options
    🚨NEW Westminster Voting Intention

📈8pt lead for Labour

🌳Con 32 (-)
    🌹Lab 40 (-1)
    🔶LDM 11 (-)
    🌍Grn 4 (-)
    🎗️SNP (-)
    ◻️Other (-)

2,232 UK adults 21-23 Jan

(Changes from 14-16 Jan) https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1485958306137092097/photo/1
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Much easier run for Ellis this time round. Have to say based on parliament, Boris looks much more secure today.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,569
    If I were an undecided Tory MP, I think this morning's events would make me more, not less, likely to send a letter to Mr. Brady.

From my perspective (as a Tory MP) the Met investigation means that this stink is going to carry on for months, if not longer. I was hoping that Sue Gray would draw a line under it, one way or another. But no. I'm already sick of it, it will mean we get slaughtered in the May elections, and even if the story fades from the press it won't fade from the public's mindset. They've already made their mind up: Partygate was bad and Boris is neither to be trusted nor believed.

So my letter's going in today.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Cyclefree said:

kjh said:

Cyclefree said:

boulay said:

The Gray investigation does not have the same status as a police one.

Remember that the police will be investigating breaches of the applicable Coronavirus Regulations. As the various reports on the CPS and Parliamentary reviews I've attached upthread show, they have often not got this right in the past when they have tried to bring prosecutions. Getting everything right this time will be critical.
    @Cyclefree Can you explain why Gray can't report until after the police investigation? I assume it is to prevent prejudicing a prosecution, but I don't understand why as anything in the report can be refuted or confirmed in court and if the report had been produced last week I assume that wouldn't stop a prosecution.
    It's down to the Terms of Reference I understand.

An internal disciplinary report could certainly be concluded and action taken. But the problem here is that if you uncover evidence of a potential crime and you report it to the police then the police will want their investigation to take precedence.

We had just this issue in the Adoboli case. Disciplinary proceedings against some of his colleagues could only take place once it was confirmed that the police would not be charging them. The final FCA report into the bank was not published until after the conclusion of the criminal trial etc.

When the original Case investigation was set up I suspect little thought was given to the implications hence the current mess.
    Would Cummings stunt that upset you yesterday of refusing to be interviewed would be harder to pull off if the Police are now involved?
    Yes.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,197
    This Dr on Politics Live:

https://twitter.com/Dr_D_Robertson?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Pro-lockdown but then questions the equity of mandatory vaccines for NHS staff on the basis that only 6/10 black people have had their second jab compared with 9/10 white people.
  • Options
    Off topic. deliberating so.

Anybody else surprised that the stabbing to death of a woman followed by the running over of her murderer by a car, allegedly in an attempt to save her, has received so little attention? Is this effing normal?

https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60088244?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
  • Options
    Listening to the urgent question there does not seem to be an impending rebellion on the conservative bench
  • Options

If I were an undecided Tory MP, I think this morning's events would make me more, not less, likely to send a letter to Mr. Brady.

From my perspective (as a Tory MP) the Met investigation means that this stink is going to carry on for months, if not longer. I was hoping that Sue Gray would draw a line under it, one way or another. But no. I'm already sick of it, it will mean we get slaughtered in the May elections, and even if the story fades from the press it won't fade from the public's mindset. They've already made their mind up: Partygate was bad and Boris is neither to be trusted nor believed.

So my letter's going in today.

Proper rally-round-the-flag effort from Tory MPs so far. How DARE anyone mention a police inquiry? How DARE anyone question Boris Johnson's heroic leadership?
    https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1485958545568944131
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669
    Cyclefree said:

kjh said:

Cyclefree said:

boulay said:

Remember that the police will be investigating breaches of the applicable Coronavirus Regulations. As the various reports on the CPS and Parliamentary reviews I've attached upthread show, they have often not got this right in the past when they have tried to bring prosecutions. Getting everything right this time will be critical.
    @Cyclefree Can you explain why Gray can't report until after the police investigation? I assume it is to prevent prejudicing a prosecution, but I don't understand why as anything in the report can be refuted or confirmed in court and if the report had been produced last week I assume that wouldn't stop a prosecution.

An internal disciplinary report could certainly be concluded and action taken. But the problem here is that if you uncover evidence of a potential crime and you report it to the police then the police will want their investigation to take precedence.

We had just this issue in the Adoboli case. Disciplinary proceedings against some of his colleagues could only take place once it was confirmed that the police would not be charging them. The final FCA report into the bank was not published until after the conclusion of the criminal trial etc.

When the original Case investigation was set up I suspect little thought was given to the implications hence the current mess.
    Thank you. Not sure I really understand though.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Al, your perspective is reliant on Conservative MPs finally discovering their collective backbone, however.
  • Options
    Q: "Does the PM think it's permissible to break the law for 10 minutes?"
    No.10 "I'm not going to pass judgement on that."
    Q: "Did the PM regularly meet his interior designer at 2pm on a work day at the height of a pandemic?"
    No.10: "I'm not aware who Lulu Lytle was there to meet"

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1485958854236114944
  • Options

Anybody else surprised that the stabbing to death of a woman followed by the running over of her murderer by a car, allegedly in an attempt to save her, has received so little attention? Is this effing normal?

https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60088244?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

Yes, this should be leading the headlines. Not normal.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,569

Mr. Al, your perspective is reliant on Conservative MPs finally discovering their collective backbone, however.

Yes, I knew my theorising had a fatal flaw.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,147
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Actions don't have consequences though. Being the wrong type of person has consequences. Consequences are for the little people.
    The Vote of No Consequence.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Tory bounce back

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 40% (-1)
    CON: 32% (-)
    LDEM: 11% (-)
    GRN: 4% (-)

via @SavantaComRes, 21 - 23 Jan
    Chgs. w/ 16 Jan

Oh.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps:

I see nothing to worry about. The main reason for omicron version 1 (classic) being such a paper tiger in the UK is the high level of protection from vaccination and prior infection (97% of adults with antibodies). Its entirely possible that omicron version 2 may re-infect some who have had omicron 1. So what? Chances of it being severe are exceptionally low, for the reasons discussed many times on here.
    Hmm

It doesn’t have to be severe for it to cause a lot of problems. If Omicron OMG is totally outpacing Omicron Classic then Omicron OMG must be fucking incredibly transmissible, or very evasive of immunity.

So it will infect everyone. Again. That means an awful lot of people getting really quite sick all over again. Even if they don’t go to hospital (as you say)

Tho it is worth noting that Danish hospitalisations are soaring:

https://twitter.com/mediccoin/status/1484879469215195137?s=21

More reassuringly, their ICU levels are low and stable, however there is some dispute as to how indicative this is, as Denmark has a different policy on ICUs than most

Also a frown-inducing rise in younger people with BA2:

“Omicron, BA2, Denmark: Admissions in the babies soaring in Denmark: as high as the 80+ age group! record highs by what looks like as much as 40x?”

https://twitter.com/enemyinastate/status/1485779630980227075?s=21

Note, I say FROWN not SCREAM. I am not trying to scare the flakier PBers. But this is a cause for some modest concern
  • Options
    Has Johnson asked Dick to do this - to buy him some time?
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Much easier run for Ellis this time round. Have to say based on parliament, Boris looks much more secure today.

Much more support from Tory benches, much less indigation from the opposition - a case study on the importance of striking when the iron is hot.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,402
    Scott_xP said:

Q: "Did the PM regularly meet his interior designer at 2pm on a work day at the height of a pandemic?"

Wasn't it Lulu Lytle's work day? And he was the client.
  • Options
    It looks like the conservatives have decided to fall in behind Boris (for now)
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,843

Here we go Crabbe, saying no leadership while Ukraine is in trouble.

Well, we're certainly getting no leadership..
    I wouldn't have thought he was the most natural ally of Boris, but if @AlastairMeeks had him down as in any way hostile, I guess Daily Politics should change that row to, at worst, neutral.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Presumably MPs on the Tory benches now preaching undying love for the PM are the “Johnson loyalist” numbers
  • Options
    edited January 2022

I saw that yesterday, didn't make any sense - if the report is correct and the driver hit both of them then it was, at best, an extremely cack-handed attempt to help.

Will be interesting when the full details emerge as it just looks bizarre at present. Tragic for all those involved, of course.

Edit: even down to the eyewitness quote of a "girl being attacked by a gentleman", somewhat oxymoronic, that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps:

Hmm

It doesn’t have to be severe for it to cause a lot of problems. If Omicron OMG is totally outpacing Omicron Classic then Omicron OMG must be fucking incredibly transmissible, or very evasive of immunity.

So it will infect everyone. Again. That means an awful lot of people getting really quite sick all over again. Even if they don’t go to hospital (as you say)

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/current-covid-patients-hospital

More reassuringly, their ICU levels are low and stable, however there is some dispute as to how indicative this is, as Denmark has a different policy on ICUs than most

“Omicron, BA2, Denmark: Admissions in the babies soaring in Denmark: as high as the 80+ age group! record highs by what looks like as much as 40x?”

Note, I say FROWN not SCREAM. I am not trying to scare the flakier PBers. But this is a cause for some modest concern
    Third beer downed, I presume.
  • Options
  • Options

Sue Gray referred the matter to the Met

On this occasion nothing to do with Boris
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I'm finding the lack of reporting of this utterly baffling. This is every bit as horrific as the Everard case, or the Neesa case, yet there seems to be an almost total lack of press interest. its all about stupid No 10 wankers who convinced themselves that their little drinkies at work etc were fine, while drafting laws for the plebs. I know a lot of people are would up by the 'parties', but the stabbing and running over seem to me to be more newsworthy right now.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps:

Hmm

Sadly, no. Stony sober. Had to go into central Colombo to get my train ticket for Galle

Soon gym, then gin, however!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps:

Hmm

Yeah, we're not quite at the level of making jokes about date rape, or using racist epithets.
    Give it an hour and normal service will be resumed.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

That's probably why she said she wasn't at the party as a guest.

She's probably going to say she was waitressing.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

franklyn said:

Could Putin save Boris?

Johnson's stance with Putin is nothing like Churchill's stance with Hitler. Nor should it be, as the circumstances are different.
    Indeed. One is a dictator committing genocide and atrocities who is invading European countries and a serious threat to world peace.

The other was Adolf Hitler.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps:

Hmm

You are making the same mistake again (are you channeling @Chris ?) Its time to rely on the protections we have.

Anecdote from a colleague. His daughter had delta back in November - mildy ill, but pre pandemic would not have been off school (sore throat). Tested positive last week (assumed omicron). NO SYMPTOMS. Can you think of another situation where someone in effectively perfect health is locked at home for 5 days? Its madness.

Omicron 2 will be the same.

Look at our MV beds. Declining, and in fact showed no spike from omicron at all.

Chill, enjoy your knapping in the sun, and stop trying to stir up people about covid...
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

🚨NEW Westminster Voting Intention

📈8pt lead for Labour

🌳Con 32 (-)
    🌹Lab 40 (-1)
    🔶LDM 11 (-)
    🌍Grn 4 (-)
    🎗️SNP (-)
    ◻️Other (-)

2,232 UK adults 21-23 Jan

(Changes from 14-16 Jan) https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1485958306137092097/photo/1

That is before today's announcements as well. I suspect it will be back to around 29/30 to 40 for a while.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,277
    edited January 2022

General question:

Has a sitting Prime Minister ever been investigated by the police for crimes whilst in office before?
    I recall Blair was questioned under caution in 2004/5. Is this the same thing?

Johnson should resign. It is completely unacceptable to be even in this position, let alone try to think you can brazen it out.

I believe that's incorrect as a point of fact. It was considered over cash for honours, but ultimately Blair's interviews were NOT under caution (some aides were questioned under caution).

In general terms, interviews under caution are for suspects, and those not under caution are for witnesses. In that case, Blair was fairly clearly between those two positions. It'd be ludicrous to say he was simply someone who was in the same building at the time as there was a benefit to him as Labour leader if donations were obtained from people wanting honours. But there wasn't really the direct evidence of personal involvement (whether because he wasn't or was bloody careful in terms of emails etc to keep it all at arm's length) and Downing Street would have argued strongly that there shouldn't be the implication (and Police didn't have the basis to say) that Blair was under suspicion himself.

Johnson is in a different situation in that there is no argument he was at several relevant events and the potential offences include attending, not merely organising, events in breach of the rules in place. So while any offences are less serious than cash for peerages in terms of legal consequences, it's clearer that he's a suspect in the case of some events at Downing Street, and not merely a witness.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1485960953422299139
    Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    Am told by sources the Met Police want the whole Sue Gray report published - there is surprise that government has decided it won’t be
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps:

Hmm

You are making the same mistake again (are you channeling @Chris ?) Its time to rely on the protections we have.

Anecdote from a colleague. His daughter had delta back in November - mildy ill, but pre pandemic would not have been off school (sore throat). Tested positive last week (assumed omicron). NO SYMPTOMS. Can you think of another situation where someone in effectively perfect health is locked at home for 5 days? Its madness.

Look at our MV beds. Declining, and in fact showed no spike from omicron at all.

Chill, enjoy your knapping in the sun, and stop trying to stir up people about covid...
    We need to stop testing well people.....
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps:

Hmm

Also - so far in the UK 436 cases (detected). First case in December. If it was outcompeting the original omicron, it would surely be far more prevalent by now.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I'm finding the lack of reporting of this utterly baffling. This is every bit as horrific as the Everard case, or the Neesa case, yet there seems to be an almost total lack of press interest. its all about stupid No 10 wankers who convinced themselves that their little drinkies at work etc were fine, while drafting laws for the plebs. I know a lot of people are would up by the 'parties', but the stabbing and running over seem to me to be more newsworthy right now.
    It's not even the lead story on London News, this is:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60125408

Maybe the press know that the perpetrator knew the victim, but even so, it should be getting more attention than it is.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,596
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kjh said:

Cyclefree said:

boulay said:

Would Cummings stunt that upset you yesterday of refusing to be interviewed would be harder to pull off if the Police are now involved?
    Yes.
    It depends. If you are interviewed under caution you are told that you don't have to say anything. For suspects the right never to say anything at all throughout the entire process is sacrosanct.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

That's probably why she said she wasn't at the party as a guest.

She's probably going to say she was waitressing.
    She's probably going to say that the PM was her client and she wanted to talk to him about her work.

The question as per the above: "Did the PM regularly meet his interior designer at 2pm on a work day at the height of a pandemic?" was supposed to be a killer blow but just highlights after a moment's thought (try it sometime) that speaking to your client about XXX is likely to have been a perfectly legitimate activity.

It's sexist of the questioner (though of course not you, Chris) to see it all from the man's perspective.

Edit: although the "waitressing" comment does show a worrying tendency on your part.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps:

Hmm

Less than half of Danes have had their boosters, well over half of Britons have now had their boosters
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    Am told by sources the Met Police want the whole Sue Gray report published - there is surprise that government has decided it won’t be

Now that is interesting - could Cressida be trying to ensure herself and her force come out of it all a bit better ? What is all this police testimony that she seems so interested in, exactly.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps:

Hmm

Exactly what I told my colleague, and he agreed. Its now ridiculous.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Maybe the press know that the perpetrator knew the victim, but even so, it should be getting more attention than it is.
    Also the whole aspect of the driver being arrested for seemingly using his car to try to save her. If its as reported he is a hero.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    maaarsh said:

Anyone else suspect the absence of critics in the chamber is because they're busy writing their letters?
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps:

Hmm

Sadly, no. Stony sober. Had to go into central Colombo to get my train ticket for Galle

Two beers to stony sober in a matter of an hour or so is some physiological processing.
  • Options

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky

That could be an interesting development.
    Cabinet Office: We can't possibly release the report as it would prejudice the ongoing police investigation
    Police: No it really won't. And it would be beneficial if it was released in full as it would aid our investigation by flushing out all of these issues
    Minister: Which is why we can't possibly release the report as it would prejudice the ongoing police investigation

If the Gray report has to be published at the Met's request, it contains damning stuff as we already know and then the Met go at it this is a disaster for Team Accused. And they can't possibly hide behind "we can't release this because police" when the police are asking them to release it.
  • Options
    Tory MP Lia Nici says voters in Great Grimsby are "happy" about Boris Johnson's party. Michael Ellis says this is what many Tory MPs are telling Boris Johnson.
    https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1485962642145619974
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps:

Hmm

@Anabobazina I think it was who many moons ago summed it up perfectly which, with minor adaptation is valid today - we are a nation of healthy people trying to avoid other healthy people for fear of a test being shown to be positive.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

maaarsh said:

Anyone else suspect the absence of critics in the chamber is because they're busy writing their letters?
    Doesn't explain the much lower quantity and qualiy coming from Labour. Feels like everyone is just going through the motions now.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669
    kjh said:

Cyclefree said:

kjh said:

Cyclefree said:

boulay said:

Thank you. Not sure I really understand though.
    I should have said why I don't understand. The police might want their investigation to take precedence, but can they insist on it particularly as a police investigation will at worse result in a fine and there are more important national issues involved. Why does Gray have to submit to this? Can't she tell them to get stuffed.

It is also not unreasonable to get different outcomes particularly as you will have different levels of proof. Gray could come up with a damning report without there being any successful criminal case. I presume for instance that criminal and civil cases can happen in parallel or is that not the case?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps:

Hmm

Two beers to stony sober in a matter of an hour or so is some physiological processing.
    Lol no. What I mean is: two beers does not get me remotely drunk, as I am such a heavy boozer. It’s like inhaling three champagne bubbles, for most people
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky

Cabinet Office: We can't possibly release the report as it would prejudice the ongoing police investigation
    Police: No it really won't. And it would be beneficial if it was released in full as it would aid our investigation by flushing out all of these issues
    Minister: Which is why we can't possibly release the report as it would prejudice the ongoing police investigation

If the Gray report has to be published at the Met's request, it contains damning stuff as we already know and then the Met go at it this is a disaster for Team Accused. And they can't possibly hide behind "we can't release this because police" when the police are asking them to release it.
    How many days till it leaks anyway?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,596
    tlg86 said:

No idea, but the press generally likes stories where it is clear who is on which side, and where there are clear goodies and baddies. Maybe there isn't enough to go on yet to tell whether this is a story that readers/viewers will find absorbing.

• Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps:

Hmm

Lol no. What I mean is: two beers does not get me remotely drunk, as I am such a heavy boozer. It’s like inhaling three champagne bubbles, for most people
    I couldn't do the beers (however many) over a nice lunch and then hit the gym. Get all the exercise, etc out of the way then yes gin fine.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Been obvious from the start that we'd never see the Gray Report.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Scott_xP said:

Tory MP Lia Nici says voters in Great Grimsby are "happy" about Boris Johnson's party. Michael Ellis says this is what many Tory MPs are telling Boris Johnson.

Is it just possible that tory voters are much more angry at Boris for rising gas bills and soaring inflation than they are about parties?

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,313

I doubt that. Sue Gray was uncomfortable in the position she'd been placed in and has done this to spread the load and the spotlight. That's what I think has happened. It's come from her.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Also the whole aspect of the driver being arrested for seemingly using his car to try to save her. If its as reported he is a hero.
    The main criteria re public interest seems to be whether or not the victim and offender were known to each other.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

That's not inconsistent with the driver being arrested, to be honest.

If you've got a body, a weapon (the car) and a person controlling the weapon (the driver) that's just standard. It's sensible from the perspective of the driver that they are legally represented and, in the interview, have all the protections afforded to a suspect. The fact that, on the face of it, they may well have a good case that they have not committed an offence doesn't actually change that.

I recall some years ago, near where I lived at the time, a mentally ill neighbour broke into a family's home and attacked the people there. The attacker himself was stabbed to death by the father of the household. It was all deeply tragic and I believe the father was very sympathetically treated by Police. But, formally, there was an arrest, interview under caution, and release without charge.
  • Options
    Boris live on Sky
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps:

Hmm

If I want to stir people up, I am very capable of doing that, as you know

My saying “this is cause for some modest concern” is really not wild scare-mongering. I am just stating the facts, meagre as they are

We have a new variant (or sub variant - opinions differ). It seems to have some troubling properties - super transmissible, even more infectious than Original Omicron, BUT there are also lots of hopeful signs that it is no worse than Omicron, and will just fade into the general run of Covid, as it slowly becomes endemic. However this variant may make that progression bumpier than we hoped

That Parisian article gets it about right. Absolutely no need to panic yet, at all. But concerned vigilance? Yes

Your attitude seems to be: we just ignore any Covid developments now, and then it will completely go away. Recent history tells us this is not sensible
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I doubt that. Sue Gray was uncomfortable in the position she'd been placed in and has done this to spread the load and the spotlight. That's what I think has happened. It's come from her.
    I think that's a good call. Waking up every day as you noted earlier to see that the entire UK government hinges upon your report must be unnerving to say the least. I think she laid off some risk and put her umbrella up.
  • Options

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky

How many days till it leaks anyway?
    At this rate we will find it gets leaked by the Met...

Some suspicion this morning at "have the Met done Boris a favour". Its the opposite. Roused from their position of "its all a bit old news" with realisation of the reputational damage, they appear to be going for it. Listening to Dick's statements earlier they simply cannot now treat the accused any differently to any other people they nicked for doing the same.

So instead of favours its the opposite. They aren't going to give an inch of cover to the spinner trying to pretend that nothing can now be released or even discussed whilst the met do their jobs.

Won't be long before HY is joining the "defund the police" demands from nobbers like Fabricant and the rest of the lickspittle sycophant wing of the Tory party.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    Scott_xP said:

Unfortunately though for Lia Nici and Boris Johnson, it doesn't seem to be reflected in the polls.
  • Options

Johnson will survive now. I always thought he would. The Tories are stuck with him. Unfortunately, so are we.

I didn't but now I do

The UQ indicated support for Boris from across the conservative benches and he is now live speaking on Ukraine in the house
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Been obvious from the start that we'd never see the Gray Report.

People said we wouldn't see it because it would be a whitewash.

Doesn't sound like it does it?
  • Options
    edited January 2022

tlg86 said:

There is some confusion over ethnicity and age, as well

An early Guardian report - quoting eye-witnesses - said the knife-wielder was young and black and the woman was the same age - 20s - and white. The driver was a bit older

In more recent reports all references to ethnicity have gone and the man and woman are in their 40s?! Quite odd

But of course eye-witness accounts are notoriously various

• Options
    I think that what needs to happen now, in order for government to continue, is Boris to stand down as PM and let Raab take over while the investigation takes place. If the police find Boris has committed no offence, he can take over again in due course.

(I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that you think I might have been influenced in that conclusion by my bet at 44/1 on Raab Next PM).
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,127
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Yup. But they won't. They're frit.
    Spineless cowards.

Were then, are now.

Boris is going nowhere.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    darkage said:

Scott_xP said:

Unfortunately though for Lia Nici and Boris Johnson, it doesn't seem to be reflected in the polls.
    Given the trouble Johnson is in and where we are in the cycle, the tories should be much further behind than they are.

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135
    Guardian reporting the Gray report might be split in half, with the part covering events that were not deemed illegal published before the police investigation and the part dealing with events deemed illegal only published later. Presumably the government spin will be "Gray finds govt did nothing wrong" when the first part is published. I mean, they can't possibly think we're that stupid...
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

That's not inconsistent with the driver being arrested, to be honest.

If you've got a body, a weapon (the car) and a person controlling the weapon (the driver) that's just standard. It's sensible from the perspective of the driver that they are legally represented and, in the interview, have all the protections afforded to a suspect. The fact that, on the face of it, they may well have a good case that they have not committed an offence doesn't actually change that.

I recall some years ago, near where I lived at the time, a mentally ill neighbour broke into a family's home and attacked the people there. The attacker himself was stabbed to death by the father of the household. It was all deeply tragic and I believe the father was very sympathetically treated by Police. But, formally, there was an arrest, interview under caution, and release without charge.
    Absolutely, and I hope that is what is happening here. Its more the press/media blackout I'm finding wierd, even if just to have her friends and relatives saying nice things about her.

Maybe more will come out?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    "But at the lobby briefing the spokesman implied that the Gray inquiry would be effectively split in two. The findings relating to events that were not deemed illegal might be published soon, he implied. But the other findings would be held back, the spokesman told journalists."

This is very amusing if Cressida Dick is countering it.

This discussion has been closed.