Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Current revelations put the Barnard Castle trip into context – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited February 2022 in General
imageCurrent revelations put the Barnard Castle trip into context – politicalbetting.com

We all remember at the height of the first lockdown how the Cummings road trip on April 2020 so dominated the media when this was exposed a few weeks later and led to a big drop for the Tories in both the voting intention polls and Johnson’s leader ratings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First.
  • Options
    Lock them all up, Rishi, Boris, and Dom, et al.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear. He's been found out again. I 'think' he may have just deleted the tweet, which is going to make things worse.

https://news.sky.com/story/politics-latest-live-news-uk-boris-johnson-sue-gray-report-parties-nusrat-ghani-12514080

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1241348429546217475?s=20

This is what Boris Johnson wrote to 7 year old Josephine who cancelled her birthday party:

"Josephine sets a great example to us all by postponing her birthday party until we have sent coronavirus packing.

Together we can beat this. In the meantime let's all wish her happy birthday (twice) whilst washing our hands. #BeLikeJosephine #StayHomeSaveLives"

This is the kind of thing which really cuts through.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,661
    Heathener said:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. He's been found out again. I 'think' he may have just deleted the tweet, which is going to make things worse.

https://news.sky.com/story/politics-latest-live-news-uk-boris-johnson-sue-gray-report-parties-nusrat-ghani-12514080

This is what Boris Johnson wrote to 7 year old Josephine who cancelled her birthday party:

"Josephine sets a great example to us all by postponing her birthday party until we have sent coronavirus packing.

Together we can beat this. In the meantime let's all wish her happy birthday (twice) whilst washing our hands. #BeLikeJosephine #StayHomeSaveLives"

I was going to cut and paste this FPT because it is far, far too good to miss.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    I'm imagining Boris Johnson's wife failed to see the political angle, Boris Johnson wasn't paying attention, and everybody else there was covertly taking photos to store away for the day when they wanted to get rid of Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    FPT
    boulay said:

I might be a miserable grinch but what is this fucking obsession with grown adults having to celebrate every birthday?

I get it for children and I get it for special birthdays such as 50 but I am amazed how so many people I know in their 30’s and 40’s have to make such a fuss to the point where they have to have a whole weekend devoted to lunches or dinners.

Carrie bringing a cake into the office is just another example of this vapid nonsense about adults’ birthdays. Half the time it also seems to be more about the person throwing the celebration than the actual birthday boy or girl - “look what I’ve done, aren’t I marvellous, isn’t it the best cake, didn’t I do well”…..

PS it’s not my birthday today and I didn’t get any presents but really people, get over the birthday hype!

Birthday sex, that's why adults love to celebrate every birthday.

So I am told.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

And Ruth Davidson rubbing the knife in:

"By coincidence, my partner shares a birthday with the Prime Minister (19th June). We marked it in 2020 by inviting one other household to sit outside, socially distanced, in our garden. It didn't occur to us - literally couldn't conceive - that we would act outside the rules."

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonPC/status/1485718151585501186?cxt=HHwWhMDU2bCyqp4pAAAA
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956

I'm imagining Boris Johnson's wife failed to see the political angle, Boris Johnson wasn't paying attention, and everybody else there was covertly taking photos to store away for the day when they wanted to get rid of Boris Johnson.

One of the apologise I heard this morning was that the cake was brought in by a staff member - nope it was Carrie who as you say didn't seem to grasp what the problem was..
  • Options

We should be glad Boris Johnson is a real boy. If he were a wooden one, he'd have a nose long enough to provide a new runway at Heathrow.

A wooden runaway sounds dangerous.

I'd sooner fly on Ryanair.
  • Options
    eek said:

One of the apologise I heard this morning was that the cake was brought in by a staff member - nope it was Carrie who as you say didn't seem to grasp what the problem was..
    I thought she used to be a PR/publicity flack for the Tory Party?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

eek said:

I thought she used to be a PR/publicity flack for the Tory Party?
    Head of Communications for the Tory Party.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

"By coincidence, my partner shares a birthday with the Prime Minister (19th June). We marked it in 2020 by inviting one other household to sit outside, socially distanced, in our garden. It didn't occur to us - literally couldn't conceive - that we would act outside the rules."

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonPC/status/1485718151585501186?cxt=HHwWhMDU2bCyqp4pAAAA
    Wow.

I know the Scottish tories really have it in for him at the moment but it's really interesting to see people like Grant Shapps distancing himself from the PM this morning.

Do they know Johnson's time is up?
  • Options

Carrie's literally a political professional, in a way that no other No 10 spouse has been.

It shouldn't need a political pro to notice the issue, just a bit of human empathy. But if this is how good she is at her job... Oh man...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    Liking Shapps on R4 telling us all we must move on... and also wait for the Gray report.
    Buffoon.
  • Options

FPT

boulay said:

I might be a miserable grinch but what is this fucking obsession with grown adults having to celebrate every birthday?

I get it for children and I get it for special birthdays such as 50 but I am amazed how so many people I know in their 30’s and 40’s have to make such a fuss to the point where they have to have a whole weekend devoted to lunches or dinners.

Carrie bringing a cake into the office is just another example of this vapid nonsense about adults’ birthdays. Half the time it also seems to be more about the person throwing the celebration than the actual birthday boy or girl - “look what I’ve done, aren’t I marvellous, isn’t it the best cake, didn’t I do well”…..

PS it’s not my birthday today and I didn’t get any presents but really people, get over the birthday hype!

So I am told.
    Birthday BJs, ironically.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Wow.

I know the Scottish tories really have it in for him at the moment but it's really interesting to see people like Grant Shapps distancing himself from the PM this morning.

That was my take, having just listened to it. He's weary with the excuses, surely knows the game is up, and is approaching the point where he can't be bothered to try and defend it all.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    And buried in the story about the Chancellor's 'windfall' in the latest borrowing figures... ...The Office for National Statistics said interest payments rose to £8.1bn last month, a record for the month and up £5.4bn from a year earlier...
  • Options
    Cummo has surely kept a photo or video back for his pièce de résistance?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Liking Shapps on R4 telling us all we must move on... and also wait for the Gray report.
    Buffoon.

Don't focus on the party - focus of the Bounce Back loan issue as that means you are talking Sunak down and not Boris.

And when Sunak arrives my ministerial career is finished.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,190
    I'm struggling to keep up with this swamp, but if I have understood this correctly, then, two major ongoing Johnson scandals have just merged. It seems the reason there was a party was because his gold wallpaper interior designer was visiting to do decoration design. This would be the redecoration over which there is a scandal about who paid and why.

Have I missed something?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    It's the involvement of Dom that gives me confidence justice will be done and Johnson will get his comeuppance. The man is an incredible operator. I don't think there's any doubt Brexit wouldn't have happened without him. I hate Brexit more than I hate Johnson but that takes nothing away from Cummings extraordinary ability. It wasn't attractive but he worked within the rules. I just wish Remain had got to him first.

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,913

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.
    Haha! Sort of like Valentines night - things you should be doing all the time with your partner ruined by being diarised……

But the adults obsession with birthdays is ridiculous - cake, cards, presents, dinner with family or close friends - great - but I don’t give a crap if it’s a work colleague’s birthday and really don’t feel the need to have a cake and “picnic food” in the boardroom…..

It’s like the rise of stag and hen parties where now every poor bugger has to stump up a few grand to travel to Ibiza to drink Prosecco a few weeks before the wedding as well as attending the “home” stag/hen on top.

I get Boris is a man-child but….. I bet he wore a stupid pointy party hat.
  • Options

I'm struggling to keep up with this swamp, but if I have understood this correctly, then, two major ongoing Johnson scandals have just merged. It seems the reason there was a party was because his gold wallpaper interior designer was visiting to do decoration design. This would be the redecoration over which there is a scandal about who paid and why.

Have I missed something?

Nope and there is a third part to this.

Building work in occupied buildings wasn't really allowed at the time, empty new builds weren't a problem but the only improvements allowed was emergency safety work.

As I pointed out last night the decorator we use was working in Morrisons at the time because it was some money rather than none.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cherry on the cake, you mean, surely.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited January 2022
    Excellent article by William Hague on what he learnt about Putin when watching judo with him as Foreign Secretary at the Olympics and what that means regarding Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/BBCJonSopel/status/1485886608607961089?s=20
  • Options
    boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.
    Haha! Sort of like Valentines night - things you should be doing all the time with your partner ruined by being diarised……

But the adults obsession with birthdays is ridiculous - cake, cards, presents, dinner with family or close friends - great - but I don’t give a crap if it’s a work colleague’s birthday and really don’t feel the need to have a cake and “picnic food” in the boardroom…..

It’s like the rise of stag and hen parties where now every poor bugger has to stump up a few grand to travel to Ibiza to drink Prosecco a few weeks before the wedding as well as attending the “home” stag/hen on top.

Couldn't agree more.

Once you are out of childhood all that nonsense should stop. A kiss and some warm words from the nearest and dearest is plenty. The rest is just an excuse for silliness, and worse.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

So they had a small party outside.

Boris just had a cake given to him by his wife in the office, had congratulations, then back to work
  • Options

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.
    Some of us prefer a more than annual frequency!
    There's always Christmas?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Wow.

That was my take, having just listened to it. He's weary with the excuses, surely knows the game is up, and is approaching the point where he can't be bothered to try and defend it all.
    That might be significant because Shapps is supposed to be the numbers man on Operation Save Big Dog so perhaps his spreadsheets are telling him Boris is a lost cause.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,328

The week the story broke sticks vividly in my mind.

My recollection is that up to that point the public was highly supportive of the restrictive measures imposed. After BC, there was a changed attitude and many thought 'what the hell'. Mrs PtP was in London at the time, keeping her head down and her body in line with the regs, and then some. She's like that. It was hot the following weekend and when she took the dog for a walk she found that suddenly her local park was full of people partying and enjoying the weather as if the regulations didn't exist. The park was so crowded that she didn't feel comfortable and she headed home. A few days later she came down with Covid. It was bad. She was lucky to survive. Recovery took months. Obviously we don't know that there was a causal connection but we both felt the Government had let the public down by setting the worst type of example.

My view these days is that lockdowns are useless unless strictly followed and rigorously imposed. Otherwise it is probably better not to bother at all and the government would do better just to point out the dangers and ask everyone to try their best and follow their own judgement. This seems to me to be about where we have got to now.

Back then it was different. The lockdown was observed and imposed, for a good while. It follows obviously that if the Government is to impose severe restrictions on the population, it simply has to adhere to the highest standards itself.

Everybody has their own story to tell. This is mine. You can understand without me labouring the point just what I think of the revelations of what was going on at No. 10, and why I feel the way I do.

Round where I live (West London) BC seemed to make little difference in peoples actions - 90% compliance. I think it changed mood more than personal actions.

Given the weather and the fact that there a lot of people effectively on holiday from work, they went to the parks, throughout. I don't think I saw it getting crowed though. Probably a function of how many people have gardens, plus the number of large parks in West London.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

The suggeston by @LostPassword on the previous thread of the Celtic calendar is so much more sensible. You can come along for a vegan sausage or toasted marshmallow and then go home early if that is what you prefer. Plus if you are alternatively inclined you are guaranteed to get your kit off, if not necessarily score.

(NSFW)

https://www.gettyimages.ae/detail/news-photo/beltane-fire-society-performers-celebrate-the-coming-of-news-photo/1146137853
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

Buffoon.

Don't focus on the party - focus of the Bounce Back loan issue as that means you are talking Sunak down and not Boris.

I dunno. Sunak will need to keep one or two and Shapps is, and it pains me greatly to say this, a pretty good communicator.

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Boris just had a cake given to him by his wife in the office, had congratulations, then back to work
    Exactly, and only 30 other people from all over Downing Street and Whitehall had come to meet them in the Cabinet Room, too.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    edited January 2022
    boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

I am a hopeless romantic, or is it hopeless at romance? One of the two.

I always put a huge effort into Valentine's Day, but this year I have put so much effort into it because last year we couldn't celebrate it, and I'm thinking about popping the question.

I tell you what is worse than Hen Nights (and I've been on a few), a STEN do, when the bride and groom to be hold a joint stag and hen night.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,096
    IanB2 said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.
    Some of us prefer a more than annual frequency!
    There's always Christmas?
    This is getting bleak!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Ahem.... [PtP clears thought, and whistles softly to himself as the tumbleweed drifts by.]
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Breaches right there. (a) nonessential person coming into the office and (b) social event and (c) food being taken together.
  • Options

Carrie's literally a political professional, in a way that no other No 10 spouse has been.

It shouldn't need a political pro to notice the issue, just a bit of human empathy. But if this is how good she is at her job... Oh man...
    Puts the (alleged) buyer’s remorse remark into context.

‘I thought at least she was good at her fcuking job’
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Exactly, and only 30 other people from all over Downing Street and Whitehall had come too.
    All of them legally working.

No different to what happens in most offices on birthdays.

Brief congratulations is hardly a party
  • Options

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

I always put a huge effort into Valentine's Day, but this year I have put so much effort into it because last year we couldn't celebrate it, and I'm thinking about popping the question.

I tell you what is worse than Hen Nights (and I've been on a few), a STEN do, when the bride and groom to be hold a joint stag and hen night.
    Eew. That acronym is very appropriate. It happens to encapsulate mass-produced shiteness for any UK male who grew up in the mid-C20.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    I never celebrate my birthday, unless forced

What’s to celebrate?

“The sun is the same, in a relative way, but you’re older
    Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death”

Adults really SHOULD get over it
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Exactly, and only 30 other people from all over Downing Street and Whitehall had come too.

Nope. This large group and disparate group don't work in the Cabinet Room together, or sing.
  • Options
    Leon said:

What’s to celebrate?

Morning. Feeling grey and Calvinist are we?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,577
    FPT on Russia and what do the Russians think. This nugget from a colleague in Moscow. Previously one of the most politically engaged people I knew:

"To be honest with you, I made a conscious decision not to follow the news and the political commentary on the situation. I have not watched Russian state television for years. When I encounter the commentary from an “opposition” journalist or a political observer, I become very anxious and disturbed. I recall how I was obsessed with news and blogs back in 2014 amidst the Crimean situation reading every worthwhile piece of information and waking up every morning with the feeling of existential threat and panic (like a Munch’s man in Scream).

So now I am taking an ostrich’s view. Instead of reading the news and posts, I am enjoying the Moscow’s rich cultural life and vibrant restaurant scene... I have wanted for weeks to set aside a time during a weekend and to read commentaries on the situation so as to understand the origin (why there has been such a buildup of troops in the first place) as well as the scenarios. I think I would still need to catch up on that (as they say, if you are not interested in politics, the politics becomes interested in you). I think very few of my friends or colleagues would be able to give a chronological account how the current situation came to be and what led to it. It just happened to be in the news all of a sudden.

So I really do not know. I can only hope it is a big bluff but I do not understand why now all of a sudden… and why such unrealistic demands are being made by Russia to NATO.

I honestly think that Russia’s rulers have some kind of a complex and are just craving for an attention from the US and the world. They just cannot stand it when the rest of the world ignores Russia as the bygone superpower, they want to be reckoned with and they want to be in the news."

Likely a minority view, but an interesting insight into the liberal professional mindset in an autocracy. Try to zone out and get on with life.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Go and look at the actual rules for June 2020.

It was no physical meeting between more than 2 people and even then keep a distance apart.

Even if you removed the cake the meeting should not have occurred...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

"Happens" is present tense.

Not under covid regulations, it wasn't legal.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Is that something you heard from the horses mouth?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,801
    IanB2 said:

The pièce de résistance will be the party they (allegedly) had to celebrate Cummings political demise, I'm sure of that. ;)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

That may be true - however you think it would cut much ice with the police if that explanation were tried on them by a normal person at the time? Or, indeed, with the government?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Give it a rest.

I am surprised there hasn't been comment on how many of them actually came down with covid? Cause and effect, right there.
  • Options

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Buffoon.

I dunno. Sunak will need to keep one or two and Shapps is, and it pains me greatly to say this, a pretty good communicator.

Shapps isn't however safe in the way that say Javid or Ben Wallace is.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Wow.

That might be significant because Shapps is supposed to be the numbers man on Operation Save Big Dog so perhaps his spreadsheets are telling him Boris is a lost cause.
    The new RedfieldWilton poll still has Boris preferred to Sunak as PM amongst 2019 Tory voters 48% to 36%. Yes, 2019 Labour, LD and SNP voters prefer Sunak to Boris as PM but how many of them would switch to the Tories if Sunak became PM?

I suspect Tory MPs are about in the same range as 2019 Tory voters on Boris and for now Boris narrowly wins a VONC

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-24-january-2022/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

What’s to celebrate?

Isnt every day like a birthday to an aspiring hedonist? :)
  • Options
    TimS said:

FPT on Russia and what do the Russians think. This nugget from a colleague in Moscow. Previously one of the most politically engaged people I knew:

"To be honest with you, I made a conscious decision not to follow the news and the political commentary on the situation. I have not watched Russian state television for years. When I encounter the commentary from an “opposition” journalist or a political observer, I become very anxious and disturbed. I recall how I was obsessed with news and blogs back in 2014 amidst the Crimean situation reading every worthwhile piece of information and waking up every morning with the feeling of existential threat and panic (like a Munch’s man in Scream).

So now I am taking an ostrich’s view. Instead of reading the news and posts, I am enjoying the Moscow’s rich cultural life and vibrant restaurant scene... I have wanted for weeks to set aside a time during a weekend and to read commentaries on the situation so as to understand the origin (why there has been such a buildup of troops in the first place) as well as the scenarios. I think I would still need to catch up on that (as they say, if you are not interested in politics, the politics becomes interested in you). I think very few of my friends or colleagues would be able to give a chronological account how the current situation came to be and what led to it. It just happened to be in the news all of a sudden.

So I really do not know. I can only hope it is a big bluff but I do not understand why now all of a sudden… and why such unrealistic demands are being made by Russia to NATO.

I honestly think that Russia’s rulers have some kind of a complex and are just craving for an attention from the US and the world. They just cannot stand it when the rest of the world ignores Russia as the bygone superpower, they want to be reckoned with and they want to be in the news."

Likely a minority view, but an interesting insight into the liberal professional mindset in an autocracy. Try to zone out and get on with life.

That aligns with much of what Krastev & Holmes say about Russian foreign policy in their outstanding book
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,021
    edited January 2022
    Carnyx said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

Eew. That acronym is very appropriate. It happens to encapsulate mass-produced shiteness for any UK male who grew up in the mid-C20.
    STEN dos are PPSh.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

Stag dos are the worst. Forced jollity like New Year’s Eve, but way more expensive

Closely followed by Valentine’s Day. One of the most tragic sights in the universe is a restaurant full of silent couples who have been married/partnered for years and have nothing to say to each other

Aaaargh
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

Stag dos are the worst. Forced jollity like New Year’s Eve, but way more expensive

Aaaargh
    They're just wakes held before the funeral
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

One of the most tragic sights in the universe is a restaurant full of silent couples who have been married/partnered for years and have nothing to say to each other
    More tragic than a sad old white male bragging on a political site about how he likes sleeping around with teenagers?

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    edited January 2022
    Carnyx said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

The suggeston by @LostPassword on the previous thread of the Celtic calendar is so much more sensible. You can come along for a vegan sausage or toasted marshmallow and then go home early if that is what you prefer. Plus if you are alternatively inclined you are guaranteed to get your kit off, if not necessarily score.

(NSFW)

https://www.gettyimages.ae/detail/news-photo/beltane-fire-society-performers-celebrate-the-coming-of-news-photo/1146137853
    If we are to celebrate the Celtic calendar, then we should all raise a glass to Rabbie Burns this evening!
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

It was no physical meeting between more than 2 people and even then keep a distance apart.

Legally working in No 10 was essential work, meetings were allowed there and you cannot prove work was not discussed after the meeting either
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

(NSFW)

If we are to celebrate the Celtic calendar, then we should all raise a glass to Rabbie Burns this evening!
    He wasn't Celtic - he was a Lowlander. But let's not quibble; be inclusive and have some decent single malt tonight, as you say.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
    The rules were in place to protect us all. But they were set aside in Downing Street in order to keep morale high at the centre of government. They took a risk for us but gratitude has no place in politics so we condemn the hypocrisy. It's an old story.

Meanwhile top judoka Putin looks to exploit loss of balance in his opponents. Sees cake hysteria in Britain and abject protection of business interests in Germany,
    and wonders whether now is the moment before the great thaw in the border lands.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,577
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

Closely followed by Valentine’s Day. One of the most tragic sights in the universe is a restaurant full of silent couples who have been married/partnered for years and have nothing to say to each other

Aaaargh
    The only stag do I've enjoyed was one where I knew hardly any of the other guests beforehand. It was a good way to break the ice with people, particularly the groom (my now brother in law), who were about to become more regular features in my social circle. I think that's probably the only redeeming feature. Otherwise they are pants.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Wow.

The new RedfieldWilton poll still has Boris preferred to Sunak as PM amongst 2019 Tory voters 48% to 36%. Yes, 2019 Labour, LD and SNP voters prefer Sunak to Boris as PM but how many of them would switch to the Tories if Sunak became PM?

I suspect Tory MPs are about in the same range as 2019 Tory voters on Boris and for now Boris narrowly wins a VONC

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-24-january-2022/
    To win a vonc, Boris first has to face one, and then it is not a question of winning but of winning by a large enough margin, as Margaret Thatcher and Theresa May found out.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,913

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

Surely if you are a hopeless romantic then Valentine’s Day isn’t even a thing. You should be wining and dining your loved one and doing romantic things all year round and not just because Hallmark have sent you a reminder to buy cards, buy red roses (Christ how original) book a table in a restaurant for a rubbish “valentines menu”.

Then you sit in the restaurant surrounded by couples where the woman has made a big effort, hair, make-up, sexiest dress and most of the chaps are sitting there in a t-shirt and jeans and trainers waiting for her to go to the loo so he can check the football news……

Joy, romance and celebration should be spontaneous not just because the calendar tells you.

Now I shall go and find a girlfriend so I can refuse to take her out on Feb 14th and make my stand! I’m sure it will work out fine.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,548
    "Vodafone to switch off UK 3G network by end of 2023
    Change will force hundreds of thousands of older people and those in rural areas to upgrade mobiles

Vodafone, which has about 18 million UK mobile customers, is to turn off the almost two-decade-old network as usage dwindles to focus on using the freed up spectrum to expand its 4G and 5G networks. However, the company, which is to phase out 3G along the same timeline as EE-owner BT, admits that there are hundreds of thousands of customers who have stuck with their 3G-only phones, particularly older owners who have not been enticed to join the smartphone revolution."

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jan/25/vodafone-to-switch-off-uk-3g-network-by-end-of-2023
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Legally working in No 10 was essential work, meetings were allowed there and you cannot prove work was not discussed after the meeting either
    There’s two obvious tactics underway by Johnson loyalists now

1. Downplay the incident - “it was only a cake - is that all you have?!”
    2. Blur the lines between No.10 being a place of work but also a home where social activities take place.

It is unpleasant to see. I hope they all sink with Boris.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Wow.

To win a vonc, Boris first has to face one, and then it is not a question of winning but of winning by a large enough margin, as Margaret Thatcher and Theresa May found out.
    If the current rules were in place in 1990 then Thatcher's 54% of MPs would have kept her in place. There would have been no second round and Thatcher, not Major, would likely have led the Conservatives at the 1992 general election.

May survived for six months after the December 2018 VONC she won until the May 2019 local and European elections which were admittedly disastrous for the Tories. If Boris wins a VONC now he therefore at least survives until the local elections in May
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,426
    Sunak now favourite to be PM on 1 January 2023 (Smarkets).

That seems nuts, but I can't quite see where the value is. He's layable at 3.8, Johnson backable at 3.7, neither of which scream value. Maybe in value in the other options...
  • Options
    I'll repost this from last night.

A totally disinterested acquaintenace texts me this story as a must read for anyone on Boris Johnson's departure.

In short, the Tory Party shop stewards are also the assassins.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/24/1922-coup-members-tory-partys-influential-group-mobilising-against
  • Options
    Ok, work to do now. Much as I would like to stay and watch Hyufd sinking slowly beneath the waves I have tax returns to finish and file.

Laters.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    geoffw said:

The rules were in place to protect us all. But they were set aside in Downing Street in order to keep morale high at the centre of government. They took a risk for us but gratitude has no place in politics so we condemn the hypocrisy. It's an old story.

Meanwhile top judoka Putin looks to exploit loss of balance in his opponents. Sees cake hysteria in Britain and abject protection of business interests in Germany,
    and wonders whether now is the moment before the great thaw in the border lands.

Ah - we're not being grateful enough to our betters to realise that they deserve great privileges and exceptions. This was the logic that allowed the Soviet-era nomenclatura to maintain their dachas while the rest of the country queued in the snow. They had borne enormous sacrifices to create such a socialist paradise, after all.
  • Options

Ok, work to do now. Much as I would like to stay and watch Hyufd sinking slowly beneath the waves I have tax returns to finish and file.

Laters.

You don't have you own accountant who does this for you as well comes up with excellent tax minimisation strategies?

How do people live without their own accountants?
  • Options

I'll repost this from last night.

A totally disinterested acquaintenace texts me this story as a must read for anyone on Boris Johnson's departure.

In short, the Tory Party shop stewards are also the assassins.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/24/1922-coup-members-tory-partys-influential-group-mobilising-against

They aren't, only Tory MPs as a whole can remove Boris in a VONC, not the 1922.

Though the 1922 can amend the 1 year between VONCs rule if the party board agrees
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Andy_JS said:

Change will force hundreds of thousands of older people and those in rural areas to upgrade mobiles

Vodafone, which has about 18 million UK mobile customers, is to turn off the almost two-decade-old network as usage dwindles to focus on using the freed up spectrum to expand its 4G and 5G networks. However, the company, which is to phase out 3G along the same timeline as EE-owner BT, admits that there are hundreds of thousands of customers who have stuck with their 3G-only phones, particularly older owners who have not been enticed to join the smartphone revolution."

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jan/25/vodafone-to-switch-off-uk-3g-network-by-end-of-2023

Not just phones either, there will thousands of 2010-era cars and other equipment with 3G modems attached, replacement or upgrade of which will not be as straightforward as upgrading a mobile phone.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Back to work? Yeah, right.

P.S. Which party are we discussing?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Wow.

If the current rules were in place in 1990 then Thatcher's 54% of MPs would have kept her in place. There would have been no second round and Thatcher, not Major, would likely have led the Conservatives at the 1992 general election.

May survived for six months after the December 2018 VONC she won until the May 2019 local and European elections which were admittedly disastrous for the Tories. If Boris wins a VONC now he therefore at least survives until the local elections in May
    You miss the point. Winning is not enough. The Prime Minister – any prime minister – needs to win decisively, not by a slim margin that lets them limp on for a few more months.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    The thing is that this whole thing is really fucking stupid. Like how dumb and/or arrogant do you have to be to think this stuff wouldn’t leak and look bad?

How hard could it have been to simply have some humility and to hold back on these “events” until everyone was allowed to do them?

Just ridiculous.
  • Options
    Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV
    ·
    1h
    PM not the only one facing the heat today. Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick faces questions from London Assembly members at 10am about why police have decided not to investigate No 10 parties at this stage.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1485885768073629696

===

Do nothing until Sue Gray has reported. Then swoop. Please.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    geoffw said:

Please tell me that first paragraph is satire.

Please.
  • Options
    So by my count there are 18 public parties that we are aware of.

I was told that pretty much from April 2020 onwards until July 2021 there were weekly parties as well as other ad hoc parties that broke Covid-19 rules.

So we probably only know of maybe 1 in 5 parties.

Yet.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    boulay said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

Surely if you are a hopeless romantic then Valentine’s Day isn’t even a thing. You should be wining and dining your loved one and doing romantic things all year round and not just because Hallmark have sent you a reminder to buy cards, buy red roses (Christ how original) book a table in a restaurant for a rubbish “valentines menu”.

Then you sit in the restaurant surrounded by couples where the woman has made a big effort, hair, make-up, sexiest dress and most of the chaps are sitting there in a t-shirt and jeans and trainers waiting for her to go to the loo so he can check the football news……

Joy, romance and celebration should be spontaneous not just because the calendar tells you.

Now I shall go and find a girlfriend so I can refuse to take her out on Feb 14th and make my stand! I’m sure it will work out fine.
    Very funny thread, thank you both. But anyway good luck to TSE if he does pop the question.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Back to work? Yeah, right.

P.S. Which party are we discussing?
    We are discussing a works meeting that 30 people attended at a time when the rules said no more than 2 people and even then socially distanced.

HYUFD is showing (once again) how he will attempt to argue Black is White even when the both paint tin and the uncleaned paint brush used have been found and both confirm that it is black.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

Please tell me that first paragraph is satire.

Please.
    Desperate irony.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

The thing is that this whole thing is really fucking stupid. Like how dumb and/or arrogant do you have to be to think this stuff wouldn’t leak and look bad?

How hard could it have been to simply have some humility and to hold back on these “events” until everyone was allowed to do them?

Just ridiculous.

Connectedly I think you get people convicted of things like child murder, and sex with Alsatians (both in the last 6 months) because they have hundreds of images/videos on their phones of them doing these things. It is bizarre: technology means there is a record of everything, but people act as if it made them invisible.
  • Options
    Another summing up for the hard of thinking on here

https://twitter.com/Tucker5law/status/1485744631681794050
    Malcolm V Tucker 🏴‍☠️
    @Tucker5law
    ·
    10h
    It was just ten minutes with a cake…it was just a few staff in the garden….it was just a childcare bubble….it was just wine and cheese…it was just a Christmas quiz…it was just…it was just…it was just not what everyone else was fucking doing.
  • Options

geoffw said:

What utter bollocks, if not satire.

Doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers, and other medical professionals on the front line during the pandemic, more so than the staff in Downing Street weren't allowed to have morale boosting parties.
    Medical workers, doctors and nurses , did do morale boosting Tik Tok dances at work and good on them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rEXBKfuKFzc
  • Options
    edited January 2022

geoffw said:

Doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers, and other medical professionals on the front line during the pandemic, more so than the staff in Downing Street weren't allowed to have morale boosting parties.
    But they were the elite, the first among equals. The Vanguard had borne great sacrifices for the people, and so the People thanked them most kindly.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Oooh, high dudgeon, hark him!

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Not just phones either, there will thousands of 2010-era cars and other equipment with 3G modems attached, replacement or upgrade of which will not be as straightforward as upgrading a mobile phone.
    That's 2G innit? That isn't getting closed down for around a decade.
  • Options

@boulay I have never taken a girlfriend out for Valentines Day and haven’t heard a complaint yet. The trick is to never set the precedent.

It's the same on Mothering Sunday - I will happily go the week before or the week after when the pub / restaurant is quieter and you aren't as rushed as they try to cram the next table in.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,328

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV
    ·
    1h
    PM not the only one facing the heat today. Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick faces questions from London Assembly members at 10am about why police have decided not to investigate No 10 parties at this stage.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1485885768073629696

===

Do nothing until Sue Gray has reported. Then swoop. Please.

Constable Savage was too busy arresting black people for ordering their coffee black to deal with happenings in Downing Street.

So keep up.
This discussion has been closed.