Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Rees-Mogg’s belittling the Scottish CON leader was dumb – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2022 in General
imageRees-Mogg’s belittling the Scottish CON leader was dumb – politicalbetting.com

One of the side stories of the current Tory “party-gate” drama has been the way that Jacob Rees-Mogg sought to belittle the comments of the leader of the Scottish Tories by saying he wasn’t a big figure.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    edited January 2022
    Agreed.

Unless pissing off the Scots was perceived to be the biggest dead cat readily available...

Edit: Mostly pissing of ScotCons, I guess. Probably hasn't changed many others' opinion of the Tory view on Scotland

Also, first? Surely not
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Scott_xP said:
    Looks like a photoshop, but still good.
  • If only Rees-Mogg got rid of that crappy affected accent of his. His sister doesn't speak like that, so he must be putting it on!
  • JRM is such a wanker that I'm forced to agree with Montie.

Good morning @Jacob_Rees_Mogg . I urge you to apologise ASAP for the personal+playground way you dismissed
    @Douglas4Moray on Newsnight. Johnson uber-loyalists risk looking like you're willing to trash colleagues and anyone who dares to think a new PM is necessary. Stop it. Now.

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1481528650675761152
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited January 2022
    They say that in news & reporting "Dog bites man" is not a story, it is just what dogs do.

Surely "Entitled Eton snob belittles Scots" belongs in the same category?
  • JRM doubled down in the HoC today, saying the honourable position of an elected Tory member was to support the PM. Ross now a dishonourable, small lightweight it appears.

If only Rees-Mogg got rid of that crappy affected accent of his. His sister doesn't speak like that, so he must be putting it on!

Who's to say she's not putting it on?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Yes it most certainly was. The man's a fool and Jonson's a fool for ever employing such a louche wastrel
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

As Rees Mogg has so clearly demonstrated, the Conservative party is now controlled by hard right English nationalists. Anyone voting Tory in Scotland in a general election is voting for a party whose leadership holds them in total disdain.

Anyone voting Tory in England in a general election is voting for a party whose leadership holds them in total disdain.
  • @Charles and other PB wearers of hand-made shoes are warned that Royal Ascot will have reduced capacity this year, so get your applications in promptly.
    https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/royal-ascot-capacity-to-be-reduced-this-year-to-offer-an-improved-experience/531793
  • As someone observed to me that JRM is the cabinet is another Brexit bonus.
  • RobD said:

If only Rees-Mogg got rid of that crappy affected accent of his. His sister doesn't speak like that, so he must be putting it on!

Maybe the pair of fakers are both putting it on!
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

JRM doubled down in the HoC today, saying the honourable position of an elected Tory member was to support the PM. Ross now a dishonourable, small lightweight it appears.

For Boris is an honourable man...
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912
    Rees-Mogg is an outstanding advertisement for an Eton and Oxford education. He is clearly a complete moron yet has ended up a multi-millionaire and a member of the Cabinet.
    Endillion said:

Are you criticizing her Annunziation?

Your coat...
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Rees-Mogg has quite correctly determined that Boris is to go then he goes on the conservatives time and the conservatives agenda.

Not Labour's time or Labour's agenda.

The real list of charges against Boris, the proper one and not the powerless labour one, is being drawn up right now by chief prosecutor Lord Frost.

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    R4 says Truss has been doing “fizz with Liz” nights for new backbenchers…
  • IanB2 said:

I presume this is after the lifting of restrictions?
  • The masterstroke to make a Tory majority more likely at the next election is to get rid of the Scottish MPs before then. That way the Tories lose 6 MPs but the Opposition lose 45.

Could Rees Mogg be laying the groundwork for a Unilateral Declaration of getting rid of Scotland by the Tories?

And if that is the plan, I wonder how and when the only Tory in the village will become fully signed up to that agenda?
    Jacob Rees-Mogg says lockdown rules may have been too tough at the time the 20 May 2020 Downing Street party took place

https://bbc.in/3fi68kg
    Latest #partygate defence: it was the rules which were at fault for being too tough.

See also; badgers moving goalposts and wrong kind of snow on the line.

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Jacob Rees-Mogg says lockdown rules may have been too tough at the time the 20 May 2020 Downing Street party took place

Is that even in doubt now? We now know covid transmission with the original variant especially outside was very difficult and it isnt really transmitted by touching surfaces, so many of the original measures were disproportionate. All the taping up park benches etc was if anything counter productive.
    Roger said:

Yes it most certainly was. The man's a fool and Jonson's a fool for ever employing such a louche wastrel

What do you expect from pigs but grunts? They only have so long to get their snouts in the trough...
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624

@Charles and other PB wearers of hand-made shoes are warned that Royal Ascot will have reduced capacity this year, so get your applications in promptly.
    https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/royal-ascot-capacity-to-be-reduced-this-year-to-offer-an-improved-experience/531793

I shall ask the butler to warn the servants that they may have to cut back how many of *their* servants can go this year....

{adjusts monocle}
  • IanB2 said:

This sounds a bit familiar from yesterday, but I'm not saying anything.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    Scott_xP said:

Rees-Mogg invariably uses insults as a substitute for argument: Major is "yesterday's man with yesterday's opinions"; Carney a "failed" Canadian politician; Ivan Rogers "neither impartial nor useful"; Ross "a lightweight". His reputation for courtesy rests entirely on his accent.
    https://twitter.com/redhistorian/status/1481563966727991300
    https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1481405891979010054

To be fair, he must get called quite a few unpleasant things quite regularly.
    IanB2 said:

They are probably all on manoeuvres at this point.
  • Not sure whether anyone else has commented on this, but in case there might be the odd person who thinks Johnson's apology sincere, they need to take note:

The Times also reports that Tory MPs said the PM told them in the Commons Tea Room after PMQs that he did not believe he had personally done anything wrong, and said: "We're taking hits for something we don't deserve."
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,151

As Rees Mogg has so clearly demonstrated, the Conservative party is now controlled by hard right English nationalists. Anyone voting Tory in Scotland in a general election is voting for a party whose leadership holds them in total disdain.

Voting for the SCONS has always obviously been an electoral cul-de-sac for unionism.
  • Scott_xP said:

Perhaps he will volunteer to pay the fines of those people who were prosecuted?
  • Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Rees-Mogg invariably uses insults as a substitute for argument: Major is "yesterday's man with yesterday's opinions"; Carney a "failed" Canadian politician; Ivan Rogers "neither impartial nor useful"; Ross "a lightweight". His reputation for courtesy rests entirely on his accent.
    https://twitter.com/redhistorian/status/1481563966727991300
    https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1481405891979010054

To be fair, he must get called quite a few unpleasant things quite regularly.
    Well he is a football ref !
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    Scott_xP said:

Latest #partygate defence: it was the rules which were at fault for being too tough.

Is there not a comma missing after badgers?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

Absolute clanger. Parties with booze specified in the title is *just* what contenders need to be known for just now. She is a fundamentally unserious person.

Even Sunak's teetotalism looks like an inspired career choice.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,282
    Lord Adonis doing his best to shore up support for Johnson by apparently saying things like "If Johnson goes, Brexit goes as well".
    edited January 2022

Not sure whether anyone else has commented on this, but in case there might be the odd person who thinks Johnson's apology sincere, they need to take note:

The Times also reports that Tory MPs said the PM told them in the Commons Tea Room after PMQs that he did not believe he had personally done anything wrong, and said: "We're taking hits for something we don't deserve."

I think its probably because the public hear party and think there have been full on raves in #10, when what it seems to be is drinks and food in the garden, and a culture of drinking at your desk.

Boris will rationalise it as bending of the rules and wanting to be a popular boss rewarding staff. No biggie, don't see why i am getting so much grief for this.

But you can't be making the rules and then breaking them, especially when you have imposed such strict restrictions at the behest of SAGE and actually the cover up is the worst part about it.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Badgers moving goalposts would be an excellent excuse, though. I think I'll use that next time a project goes over time or budget. :smile:
  • Not sure whether anyone else has commented on this, but in case there might be the odd person who thinks Johnson's apology sincere, they need to take note:

I think its probably because the public hear party and think there have been full on raves in #10, when what it seems to be is drinks and food in the garden, and a culture of drinking at your desk. Boris will have seen it as bending of the rules and wanting to be a popular boss rewarding staff.

But you can't be making the rules and then breaking them, and actually the cover up is the worst part about it.
    and the fingers crossed apology
    Selebian said:

Badgers moving goalposts would be an excellent excuse, though. I think I'll use that next time a project goes over time or budget. :smile:

Famously the excuse Owen Paterson used
    edited January 2022
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Curious how all the concern on PB this morning is about the extinction of the Lesser-Spotted Tory Scot, though. Much more than is normally expressed for the Commonly-Spotted Social Democratic Scot.

Edit: and the loss of genetic introgression itno the L.S.T.S. population from the southern subspecies.

Not complaining (very much) though.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited January 2022
    fpt for @BlancheLivermore and @BartholomewRoberts

Sozza didn't study the autocorrect. Of course you @BlancheLivermore didn't vote Farage.

@BartholomewRoberts did.

I was using the analogy because @kinabalu said that the Labour MPs who put Corbyn on the ballot paper didn't really mean or want him to win. And yet I'm sure he would have no hesitation (perhaps he already has done so) in criticising @BR for voting for Farage while not "meaning" it.
  • IanB2 said:

Oh, you know you want to. How about taking it a stage further with "jizz with fizz and Liz"!
    edited January 2022
    Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

Selebian said:

Crikey, that one had passed me by. Just googled it

Environment Secretary Owen Paterson was asked if he had "moved the goalposts" by claiming the cull was a success.

Mr Paterson explained difficulties lay in the fact the operation was dealing with a wild animal.

"The badgers moved the goalposts. We're dealing with a wild animal, subject to the vagaries of the weather and disease and breeding patterns," he said.

I thought it was a new compound of the usual expression plus that MWP chappie who went badger watching and inexplicably found himself dogging!
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited January 2022
    IanB2 said:

R4 also seemed very clear that busy lizzy is way ahead with members. Worrying for the Tories' long-term prospects, if so, if you ask me.
    edited January 2022

Not sure whether anyone else has commented on this, but in case there might be the odd person who thinks Johnson's apology sincere, they need to take note:

I think its probably because the public hear party and think there have been full on raves in #10, when what it seems to be is drinks and food in the garden, and a culture of drinking at your desk. Boris will have seen it as bending of the rules and wanting to be a popular boss rewarding staff.

But you can't be making the rules and then breaking them, and actually the cover up is the worst part about it.
    and the fingers crossed apology
    The other thing is Boris was never actually in favour of most of these restrictions, he was bounced into them by the scientists, and many turned out to be wrong headed. And most of #10 had had covid.

We all know Boris has a long history of just ignoring rules he doesn't agree with. The big problem this time is everybody was living by them under his direction. So his usual oh cripes look zip wire failure routine won't work.
    Andy_JS said:

Lord Adonis doing his best to shore up support for Johnson by apparently saying things like "If Johnson goes, Brexit goes as well".

Ooh! Where can we sign??

That's going to be a catastrophic statement in Scotland.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,404

If the Queen doesn't do what this letter asks her to do then she really must hate the military.

More than 150 veterans have signed an open letter calling for Queen Elizabeth to strip her son Prince Andrew of his military titles over his relationship with disgraced late U.S. financier Jeffrey Epstein, the campaign group Republic said on Thursday.

A day after Andrew's lawyers failed to persuade a U.S. judge to dismiss Virginia Giuffre's civil lawsuit against him which accuses the royal of sexually abusing her when she was a teenager, the anti-monarchy group released the letter from veterans angry that he still held honorary military roles.

Their letter to the 95-year-old monarch called for her to take immediate action because Andrew, the Duke of York, had been "uncooperative and less than truthful" about his relationship with Epstein, and had brought the armed services he represented into disrepute.

"We are particularly upset and angry that Prince Andrew remains a member of the armed forces and continues to hold military titles, positions and ranks, including that of Vice Admiral of the Royal Navy," the letter said.

"We are therefore asking that you take immediate steps to strip Prince Andrew of all his military ranks and titles and, if necessary, that he be dishonourably discharged."

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/prince-andrews-legal-team-decline-comment-us-court-decision-2022-01-13/

What's the point of the ranks he does have? Are they ever used in anger? Do they come with monies?
    The point is to make him feel nice for having them. Taking them away is therefore an effective punishment.

There were reports at the funeral of Phillip that Andrew wanted to go in uniform IIRC, and that the Queen had to step in to sort out the disagreement about it with Charles. I recall thinking at the time that that it took a 95 year old woman, who had just lost her lifelong love and companion, to stop the rest of them bickering over something inconsequential, was not an encouraging sign.
    kinabalu said:

Mr. kinabalu, Corbyn was only on the shortlist because Labour MPs put him there.

They deserve the blame just as much as the PCP for Johnson.

Objectively false assertion. A small number putting him on the ballot to include the 'left' in the contest - not in a million years expecting him to be competitive - is not of the same order of culpability as the majority picking him and sending him to the members as preferred choice and hot favourite.
    Sort of. They were stupid for risking an outcome that they did not want, and which they knew the public would not want, but it is true they did not recommend him. The Tory MPs making him the preferred choice was because of the, correct, assumption the public would want him him too, at least in the short term. So they were less stupid since they expected him to win (unlike those with Corbyn), but were more culpable since they accepted the potential risks.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Andy_JS said:

Light at the end of the rainbow. At last!
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

Selebian said:

Crikey, that one had passed me by. Just googled it

Environment Secretary Owen Paterson was asked if he had "moved the goalposts" by claiming the cull was a success.

Mr Paterson explained difficulties lay in the fact the operation was dealing with a wild animal.

"The badgers moved the goalposts. We're dealing with a wild animal, subject to the vagaries of the weather and disease and breeding patterns," he said.

I always thought that was the moment that the skids went in under him. From then onwards it was downhill all the way.
    edited January 2022
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Curious how all the concern on PB this morning is about the extinction of the Lesser-Spotted Tory Scot, though. Much more than is normally expressed for the Commonly-Spotted Social Democratic Scot.

Edit: and the loss of genetic introgression itno the L.S.T.S. population from the southern subspecies.

I am not sure that PB is concerned about Tory Scots. I think that they are merely expressing their opinion that JRM is a total twerp. The Tory Scots merely the target that shows other Tories what sort of loyalty they can expect from Boris's lackeys.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837

I think its probably because the public hear party and think there have been full on raves in #10, when what it seems to be is drinks and food in the garden, and a culture of drinking at your desk.

Boris will rationalise it as bending of the rules and wanting to be a popular boss rewarding staff. No biggie, don't see why i am getting so much grief for this.

But you can't be making the rules and then breaking them, especially when you have imposed such strict restrictions at the behest of SAGE and actually the cover up is the worst part about it.
    And. A culture of "drinking at your desk" sounds unfeasibly alien to your average punter.
    For whom it would be instant dismissal.
  • IanB2 said:

Oh, you know you want to. How about taking it a stage further with "jizz with fizz and Liz"!
    Scandalous ! I know nothing on the subject, officer. Never met the woman.
  • Roger said:

Andy_JS said:

Light at the end of the rainbow. At last!
    I think you mean gold at the end of the tunnel.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    TOPPING said:

Sozza didn't study the autocorrect. Of course you @BlancheLivermore didn't vote Farage.

@BartholomewRoberts did.

I was using the analogy because @kinabalu said that the Labour MPs who put Corbyn on the ballot paper didn't really mean or want him to win. And yet I'm sure he would have no hesitation (perhaps he already has done so) in criticising @BR for voting for Farage while not "meaning" it.

I'd have thought Bartholomew *did* want Farage's party to win the European elections in which he voted for Farage's party. No fool, Bartholomew. He can do the "math" on that sort of thing.

But let's ask him. Bartholomew? ...
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited January 2022
    @Cicero

Your comment is defamatory and likely to cost OGH a lot of money, please do not repeat it again.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    TOPPING said:

@BartholomewRoberts did.

I always cast my vote ironically as a sort of performance art statement.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    Remember however the Tories had 0 Scottish seats in 1997 and only 1 seat even in 2015 when they won an overall UK majority.

The Scottish party is no more important to the Tory party than any other regional branch of it, it is the UK Tory party as a whole who will decide who its leader is, after all that is the whole point of the Union. The whole UK determines the UK government, not just Scots, Scots have their own parliament for much domestic policy post devolution but Westminster still remains the UK parliament
  • Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

No risk to the species Scotae Whingatus Vulgaris though?

IanB2 said:

R4 also seemed very clear that busy lizzy is way ahead with members. Worrying for the Tories' long-term prospects, if so, if you ask me.
    Hence it would be pointless getting rid of Boris electorally if they end up with Tory members voting for Truss over Sunak.

Under Truss the Tories would likely be even further behind than the 9% they are under Boris in today's poll
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

My wife is the eldest of four and has a very different accent to her younger brothers because she spent a lot of time growing up with her mother while her brothers spent time with their cousins.

So we can guess at Nanny's accent.

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It's a junior synonym for the CSSDS especially under Tory rule in the UK.
  • HYUFD said:

Remember however the Tories had 0 Scottish seats in 1997 and only 1 seat even in 2015 when they won an overall UK majority.

The Scottish party is no more important to the Tory party than any other regional branch of it, it is the UK Tory party as a whole who will decide who its leader is, after all that is the whole point of the Union. The whole UK determines the UK government, not just Scots, Scots have their own parliament for much domestic policy post devolution but Westminster still remains the UK parliament

You carry on reaching out to those swing voters!
    edited January 2022

The masterstroke to make a Tory majority more likely at the next election is to get rid of the Scottish MPs before then. That way the Tories lose 6 MPs but the Opposition lose 45.

Could Rees Mogg be laying the groundwork for a Unilateral Declaration of getting rid of Scotland by the Tories?

And if that is the plan, I wonder how and when the only Tory in the village will become fully signed up to that agenda?

On today's poll Starmer would have a majority even in England and Wales so that would be pointless too, it is only the UK result giving a hung parliament. Especially as in the tables now out from last night's Yougov Scotland is now the only UK region other than the South of England where the Conservatives are still ahead of Labour
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/01/13/voting-intention-con-28-lab-38-11-12-jan
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,404
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

If the Queen doesn't do what this letter asks her to do then she really must hate the military.

More than 150 veterans have signed an open letter calling for Queen Elizabeth to strip her son Prince Andrew of his military titles over his relationship with disgraced late U.S. financier Jeffrey Epstein, the campaign group Republic said on Thursday.

A day after Andrew's lawyers failed to persuade a U.S. judge to dismiss Virginia Giuffre's civil lawsuit against him which accuses the royal of sexually abusing her when she was a teenager, the anti-monarchy group released the letter from veterans angry that he still held honorary military roles.

Their letter to the 95-year-old monarch called for her to take immediate action because Andrew, the Duke of York, had been "uncooperative and less than truthful" about his relationship with Epstein, and had brought the armed services he represented into disrepute.

"We are particularly upset and angry that Prince Andrew remains a member of the armed forces and continues to hold military titles, positions and ranks, including that of Vice Admiral of the Royal Navy," the letter said.

"We are therefore asking that you take immediate steps to strip Prince Andrew of all his military ranks and titles and, if necessary, that he be dishonourably discharged."

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/prince-andrews-legal-team-decline-comment-us-court-decision-2022-01-13/

What's the point of the ranks he does have? Are they ever used in anger? Do they come with monies?
    The point is to make him feel nice for having them. Taking them away is therefore an effective punishment.

There were reports at the funeral of Phillip that Andrew wanted to go in uniform IIRC, and that the Queen had to step in to sort out the disagreement about it with Charles. I recall thinking at the time that that it took a 95 year old woman, who had just lost her lifelong love and companion, to stop the rest of them bickering over something inconsequential, was not an encouraging sign.
    Yes but Royalty and aristocracy is built on trivialities and order of precedence. Who gets to sit where, does an order of the daffodil or a Knight of the bathtub take precedence when deciding the next groomer of the Kings stool. These are the things that they argue about. Originally it had a point by stopping knights from killing each other, but now it is just pointless obscurantism.
    That they care was not my point. It's that they couldn't even come to agreement about it without the matriarch's view even when she really needed their support right then.
    HYUFD said:

The masterstroke to make a Tory majority more likely at the next election is to get rid of the Scottish MPs before then. That way the Tories lose 6 MPs but the Opposition lose 45.

On today's poll Starmer would have a majority even in England and Wales so that would be pointless too, it is only the UK result giving a hung parliament. Especially as in the tables now out from last night's Yougov Scotland is now the only UK region other than the South of England where the Conservatives are still ahead of Labour
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/01/13/voting-intention-con-28-lab-38-11-12-jan
    Scottish subsamples.

We all know what happens to PBers who get fixated on them.

@Cicero

Your comment is defamatory and likely to cost OGH a lot of money, please do not repeat it again.

Bloody interesting, mind. I knew the ***** ** ******** **** ***** bit, but the *** ******* ** ******** **** **** - My!

Also, worth pointing out that OGH's liability is secondary to the actual poster, and OGH could probably, and justifiably, earn himself a hold harmless agreement in exchange for the poster's email and IP address.

HYUFD said:

I notice his assertion the whole point of the Union of the Kingdoms is to support the Conservative Party. Just to avoid the need for any quic edits, he said" it is the UK Tory party as a whole who will decide who its leader is, after all that is the whole point of the Union."
    dixiedean said:

And. A culture of "drinking at your desk" sounds unfeasibly alien to your average punter.
    Didn't happen even in the City in the 80s. Everybody was drunk all the time but you went out to avoid the risk of spilling wine on original documents/setting the support staff a bad example.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Hence it would be pointless getting rid of Boris electorally if they end up with Tory members voting for Truss over Sunak.

Under Truss the Tories would likely be even further behind than the 9% they are under Boris in today's poll
    But there's also the issue of a Boris still in place doing major cumulative damage to the Tory brand. I think that's happening. It might take longer to de-toxify for you the longer he's in. That's an even longer-term outlook, too, potentially beyond the next election.
  • Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I notice his assertion the whole point of the Union of the Kingdoms is to support the Conservative Party. Just to avoid the need for any quic edits, he said" it is the UK Tory party as a whole who will decide who its leader is, after all that is the whole point of the Union."
    Here is a deal: you stop kicking HYUFD and I'll stop kicking Malcolm? How long can we keep it up?
    edited January 2022
    dixiedean said:

That's what I mean. Putting aside Boris lying, I don't think he sees having a vino in the garden or a civil servant having a beer at 6pm at their desk as "partying". Clearly he has fostered this very lax attitude and I am pretty certain that is what has been happening, that people have been boozing at their desks when the pubs have been closed.

I mean we all know in normal times MPs got to the commons bar during "work" time.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    edited January 2022

My wife is the eldest of four and has a very different accent to her younger brothers because she spent a lot of time growing up with her mother while her brothers spent time with their cousins.

My mother was part of a large farming family. All the boys, or men as they were when I knew them sounded 'Northern Home Counties rural'. However all my aunts, on whom money was apparently spent to make 'ladies' of them, spoke beautifully. Only when they got into their 90's did my mother, and aunts, regain traces of what I assume were their parental accents.

His nanny was Terry-Thomas?

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Here is a deal: you stop kicking HYUFD and I'll stop kicking Malcolm? How long can we keep it up?
    Not kicking him, just considering his philosophy. I've even been praising his logical consistency.
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I thought they were almost extinct? Not so Vulgaris anymore perhaps?
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773
    IshmaelZ said:

His nanny was Terry-Thomas?
    More likely Professor Yaffle the woodpecker bookend from Bagpus……
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837

dixiedean said:

That's what I mean. Putting aside Boris lying, I don't think he sees having a vino in the garden or a civil servant having a beer at 6pm at their desk as "partying". Clearly he has fostered this very lax attitude and I am pretty certain that is what has been happening, that people have been boozing at their desks when the pubs have been closed.
    Yes. And tbh I think that is a significant part of the cut through.
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Not kicking him, just considering his philosophy. I've even been praising his logical consistency.
    Well he has something on Malcolm then. I guess at least HYUFD is polite generally, and reasonably coherent. Oh shit I just did it again!
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

From an IT perspective can't we automate the process - perhaps so that they kick each other?

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I thought they were almost extinct? Not so Vulgaris anymore perhaps?
    About 70-75 per cent of the total voter population, depending on how the Tories are doing, and how one defines the former UKIP (Ms Ballantyne's lot - I can never remember the current name).
  • HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Very unlikely.
  • If only Rees-Mogg got rid of that crappy affected accent of his. His sister doesn't speak like that, so he must be putting it on!

My mother was part of a large farming family. All the boys, or men as they were when I knew them sounded 'Northern Home Counties rural'. However all my aunts, on whom money was apparently spent to make 'ladies' of them, spoke beautifully. Only when they got into their 90's did my mother, and aunts, regain traces of what I assume were their parental accents.
    Very typical of farming families, particularly in Norfolk.

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

That species is considered to be identical to Scotae Radius Solis in most recent academic thought.......
  • RobD said:

At least Annunziata doesn't sound like a pompous twat like her brother :lol:
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

dixiedean said:

I mean we all know in normal times MPs got to the commons bar during "work" time.
    No wonder Frosty wanted to renegotiate his own deal.
  • RobD said:

At least Annunziata doesn't sound like a pompous twat like her brother :lol:
    I've checked Wikipedia and it looks like she was too common and/or thick to get into Eton. More seriously, since Jacob grew up in posh boarding schools, surely it is likely he got his accent there, like, say, Boris.
This discussion has been closed.