Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rees-Mogg’s belittling the Scottish CON leader was dumb – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Not sure whether anyone else has commented on this, but in case there might be the odd person who thinks Johnson's apology sincere, they need to take note:

The Times also reports that Tory MPs said the PM told them in the Commons Tea Room after PMQs that he did not believe he had personally done anything wrong, and said: "We're taking hits for something we don't deserve."

I think its probably because the public hear party and think there have been full on raves in #10, when what it seems to be is drinks and food in the garden, and a culture of drinking at your desk.

Boris will rationalise it as bending of the rules and wanting to be a popular boss rewarding staff. No biggie, don't see why i am getting so much grief for this.

But you can't be making the rules and then breaking them, especially when you have imposed such strict restrictions at the behest of SAGE and actually the cover up is the worst part about it.
    And. A culture of "drinking at your desk" sounds unfeasibly alien to your average punter.
    For whom it would be instant dismissal.
    That's what I mean. Putting aside Boris lying, I don't think he sees having a vino in the garden or a civil servant having a beer at 6pm at their desk as "partying". Clearly he has fostered this very lax attitude and I am pretty certain that is what has been happening, that people have been boozing at their desks when the pubs have been closed.

I mean we all know in normal times MPs got to the commons bar during "work" time.
    No wonder Frosty wanted to renegotiate his own deal.
    Reminds me that the ancient Persians, or was it Sassanids, would never make a treaty without getting drunk first. Then they'd look at it the next morning and see what it looked like then. Only then would they sign it ... Or was it the other way round? Anyway, seems as if Mr Frost et al forgot to do the sober bit ...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Latest #partygate defence: it was the rules which were at fault for being too tough.

See also; badgers moving goalposts and wrong kind of snow on the line.

https://bbc.in/3fi68kg

Is there not a comma missing after badgers?
    Badgers moving goalposts would be an excellent excuse, though. I think I'll use that next time a project goes over time or budget. :smile:
    Curious how all the concern on PB this morning is about the extinction of the Lesser-Spotted Tory Scot, though. Much more than is normally expressed for the Commonly-Spotted Social Democratic Scot.

Edit: and the loss of genetic introgression itno the L.S.T.S. population from the southern subspecies.

Not complaining (very much) though.
    No risk to the species Scotae Whingatus Vulgaris though?
    That species is considered to be identical to Scotae Radius Solis in most recent academic thought.......
    There is a person on here who believes that the PM's species sub genre is Radius Solis Rectum
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

R4 says Truss has been doing “fizz with Liz” nights for new backbenchers…

R4 also seemed very clear that busy lizzy is way ahead with members. Worrying for the Tories' long-term prospects, if so, if you ask me.
    Hence it would be pointless getting rid of Boris electorally if they end up with Tory members voting for Truss over Sunak.

Under Truss the Tories would likely be even further behind than the 9% they are under Boris in today's poll
    Very unlikely.
    To be fair to HYUFD, Liz Truss would probably be a crap and unpopular PM.
    Johnson should still go, though, obviously.
  • Options

RobD said:

If only Rees-Mogg got rid of that crappy affected accent of his. His sister doesn't speak like that, so he must be putting it on!

Who's to say she's not putting it on?
    At least Annunziata doesn't sound like a pompous twat like her brother :lol:
    I've checked Wikipedia and it looks like she was too common and/or thick to get into Eton. More seriously, since Jacob grew up in posh boarding schools, surely it is likely he got his accent there, like, say, Boris.
    She may have been the wrong gender
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022
    NE is consistently one of the hardest hit areas throughout this pandemic. If I remember correctly when we were messing with local lockdowns and tier restrictions etc, didn't part of the NE basically stay under restrictions the entire time they were a thing.

"Our weekly #COVID19 surveillance report also shows that case rates are highest in the North East and lowest in the South West."

https://twitter.com/UKHSA/status/1481628873225871361?s=20
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited January 2022
    I make a late claim for "Wrongest person of 12th Jan 2022" as the Scotland covid case figures are out and they are only 8,203. I was expecting wayyyyyyyyyy more due to starting to report the LFDs.

This is still a 28% week-on-week fall. Not as stoking as the last 4 days of 40% week-on-week falls but still pretty mega.

Nice.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,212

@Cicero

Your comment is defamatory and likely to cost OGH a lot of money, please do not repeat it again.

Under the circumstances and with respect to Mike and the moderators, I withdraw the comment.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    In May 2020, @Keir_Starmer challenged the PM to clarify the rules. Johnson replied: "Everybody understands what we're trying to do together: working as a country to obey the social distancing rules, which everybody understands."

Where was his "good solid British common sense"?

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1481595195523321859/video/1

11 May 2020: "The British people understand that this is the moment for the whole country to come together and obey those rules and apply their common sense in the application of those rules."

FOUR DAYS LATER, cheese and wine party.

NINE DAYS LATER, bring your own booze party.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

If only Rees-Mogg got rid of that crappy affected accent of his. His sister doesn't speak like that, so he must be putting it on!

My wife is the eldest of four and has a very different accent to her younger brothers because she spent a lot of time growing up with her mother while her brothers spent time with their cousins.

So we can guess at Nanny's accent.
    His nanny was Terry-Thomas?
    More likely Professor Yaffle the woodpecker bookend from Bagpus……
    Expelled Conservative rebel Sir Nicholas Soames laid into Boris Johnson’s ally Jacob Rees-Mogg and labelled him an “absolute fraud”.

He excoriated the staunch Brexiteer after he was accused of contemptuous behaviour for reclining in the House of Commons during the Brexit debate this week.

Sir Nicholas said the behaviour was “repulsive” and believed the leader of the Commons is in “serious danger of believing his own schtick”.He told The Times: “I wanted to kick him firmly in the arse and say, ‘What the hell do you think you are playing at? Sit up!’

“[Rees-Mogg] is a living example of what a moderately cut double-breasted suit and a decent tie can do with an ultra-posh voice and a bit of ginger stuck up his arse. You do not behave like that as leader of the House.”

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/sir-nicholas-soames-labels-jacob-rees-mogg-an-absolute-fraud-335811

I think the fraud includes the accent.
    It is why I would put double-barrelled names into Room 101, along with poetry and chewing gum.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,925
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

R4 says Truss has been doing “fizz with Liz” nights for new backbenchers…

R4 also seemed very clear that busy lizzy is way ahead with members. Worrying for the Tories' long-term prospects, if so, if you ask me.
    Hence it would be pointless getting rid of Boris electorally if they end up with Tory members voting for Truss over Sunak.

Under Truss the Tories would likely be even further behind than the 9% they are under Boris in today's poll

I think that is very possible. My guess is that Truss would really struggle to connect with the kind of bloke who forms the bedrock of Johnson's support in the Red Wall and beyond. And I can't see her picking up many votes from elsewhere to compensate.

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022

Jacob Rees Mogg is the absolute worst of them. A desperately mediocre man whose contrived, cut glass, accent and privileged birth have bought him position and power that his abilities do not get close to justifying. He is the English disease in its purest human form.

I agree with this to quite a significant extent, although his father was in some ways also even a extreme market-radical, well beyond purely the gentryish appearances of his upbringing. Rees-Mogg Senior's books are some the most overt and merciless calls to disaster capitalism you will ever come across.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

My wife is the eldest of four and has a very different accent to her younger brothers because she spent a lot of time growing up with her mother while her brothers spent time with their cousins.

Expelled Conservative rebel Sir Nicholas Soames laid into Boris Johnson’s ally Jacob Rees-Mogg and labelled him an “absolute fraud”.

He excoriated the staunch Brexiteer after he was accused of contemptuous behaviour for reclining in the House of Commons during the Brexit debate this week.

Sir Nicholas said the behaviour was “repulsive” and believed the leader of the Commons is in “serious danger of believing his own schtick”.He told The Times: “I wanted to kick him firmly in the arse and say, ‘What the hell do you think you are playing at? Sit up!’

“[Rees-Mogg] is a living example of what a moderately cut double-breasted suit and a decent tie can do with an ultra-posh voice and a bit of ginger stuck up his arse. You do not behave like that as leader of the House.”

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/sir-nicholas-soames-labels-jacob-rees-mogg-an-absolute-fraud-335811

It is why I would put double-barrelled names into Room 101, along with poetry and chewing gum.
    One of the finest people I have ever known had a double barrelled name and had nothing whatsoever in common with Rees Mogg. Additionally you would be placing the whole population of Spain and Portugal in Room 101 which seems unfair. Agree on chewing gum though
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    I suppose Ross may count it as an electoral plus? - fearlessly independent, defies impudent English pseudo-aristos, etc.
  • Options

I suppose Ross may count it as an electoral plus? - fearlessly independent, defies impudent English pseudo-aristos, etc.

indeed. He needs to think of a repost though which needs to be polite but cutting
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365

NE is consistently one of the hardest hit areas throughout this pandemic. If I remember correctly when we were messing with local lockdowns and tier restrictions etc, didn't part of the NE basically stay under restrictions the entire time they were a thing.

"Our weekly #COVID19 surveillance report also shows that case rates are highest in the North East and lowest in the South West."

Yes

Though....

• Options
    I see we are getting ever closer to China...

"A covert Chinese agent has infiltrated Parliament to interfere with UK politics, MI5 has revealed."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59984380
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I make a late claim for "Wrongest person of 12th Jan 2022" as the Scotland covid case figures are out and they are only 8,203. I was expecting wayyyyyyyyyy more due to starting to report the LFDs.

This is still a 28% week-on-week fall. Not as stoking as the last 4 days of 40% week-on-week falls but still pretty mega.

Nice.

I wonder how many people who get an LFD positive never bother to report it?

I didn't log mine. I isolated for the requisite number of days but felt no compunction to inform the state of my status.
  • Options

indeed. He needs to think of a repost though which needs to be polite but cutting

Quite apart from the obvious stupidity of using this out of time phrase, is Mogg really so dim-witted not to realise he's dealing with someone who kot only returned the "King's shilling" but is now commenting from his own, elected office?
    https://twitter.com/STVKathryn/status/1481623159942139906
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Scott_xP said:

Quite apart from the obvious stupidity of using this out of time phrase, is Mogg really so dim-witted not to realise he's dealing with someone who kot only returned the "King's shilling" but is now commenting from his own, elected office?
    There's a theory among Conhome commenters that we can't have Jeremy Hunt PM because the Chinese will control him by imprisoning his in laws.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678

No good if R-M is still lording it in Westminster. Mr R will just be trying to persuade people to vote for doormats.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    Alistair said:

Nice.

Nice try but you’ll have to work harder to bear HYUFD to that particular accolade
  • Options
    edited January 2022

"A covert Chinese agent has infiltrated Parliament to interfere with UK politics, MI5 has revealed."

Luckily Jezza didn't win the election, because Barry Gardiner would be now a position of power. He could have been in charge of International Trade...
  • Options
    A senior Scottish Tory tells me it is ‘inconceivable’ that Boris Johnson will speak at the party’s Scottish conference in March after the events of this week. This would be the first time the UK leader hasn’t. The Scottish party is very keen Johnson goes as quickly as poss.
    https://twitter.com/chrisdeerin/status/1481589006215303171
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,916

“Whilst the Leader of the House might feel I’m a political lightweight at least I could stay standing in a gentle breeze unlike a literal lightweight”.
  • Options

Luckily Jezza didn't win the election, because Barry Gardiner would be now a position of power. He could have been in charge of International Trade...
    innocent until proven guilty. There are, of course, a number of UK political figures who may have connections with both the Chinese and the Russians. One suspects MI5 probably finds it more useful to pretend they don't know.
  • Options
    boulay said:

“Whilst the Leader of the House might feel I’m a political lightweight at least I could stay standing in a gentle breeze unlike a literal lightweight”.
    I think he should just call him a pompous c**t
  • Options
    edited January 2022

innocent until proven guilty. There are, of course, a number of UK political figures who may have connections with both the Chinese and the Russians. One suspects MI5 probably finds it more useful to pretend they don't know.
    Ms Lee is a London-based solicitor who has donated £200,000 to Jeremy Corbyn ally Barry Gardiner, with her son, Daniel Wilkes, working in his office until today. She is also reported to have donated hundreds of thousands of pounds more to other parts of the Labour Party.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10398665/MI5-send-urgent-email-MPs-warning-Chinese-woman.html

She is also a former chief legal adviser to the Chinese embassy in London and a legal adviser to the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office. She is also the secretary of the Inter-Party China Group at Westminster.

As well as embarrassment for Labour Ms Lee also has links to the Conservatives. She appears to have also developed a good relationship with David Cameron while he was prime minister. And in January 2019, she received a Points of Light Award from then premier Theresa May, in recognition of her contribution to good relations with China.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955

September 18 2020 we went under them. Slightly later than some boroughs of GM.
    But we went in them as a region. No nipping a couple of miles down the road.
  • Options

RobD said:

Who's to say she's not putting it on?
    At least Annunziata doesn't sound like a pompous twat like her brother :lol:
    I've checked Wikipedia and it looks like she was too common and/or thick to get into Eton. More seriously, since Jacob grew up in posh boarding schools, surely it is likely he got his accent there, like, say, Boris.
    She may have been the wrong gender
    Since she has not transitioned, I suspect that she has the correct gender ;)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

There's a theory among Conhome commenters that we can't have Jeremy Hunt PM because the Chinese will control him by imprisoning his in laws.
    Mmm.
    Imprison my in laws if I don't do what you want?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Mmm.
    Imprison my in laws if I don't do what you want?
    Or, I'll release them unless you do what I want.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson's greatest electoral trick was to persuade voters the jester could govern. Partygate's biggest threat to his survival is it unsuspends their disbelief. Is it an emperor’s new clothes moment? My @EveningStandard column today.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/boris-johnson-downing-street-party-cakeism-locdown-b976463.html
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

One of the finest people I have ever known had a double barrelled name and had nothing whatsoever in common with Rees Mogg. Additionally you would be placing the whole population of Spain and Portugal in Room 101 which seems unfair. Agree on chewing gum though
    And you'd lose me - with one of the finest Irish names around - and all my Italian relatives too.

And what do you have against poetry, eh?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973

Ms Lee is a London-based solicitor who has donated £200,000 to Jeremy Corbyn ally Barry Gardiner, with her son, Daniel Wilkes, working in his office until today. She is also reported to have donated hundreds of thousands of pounds more to other parts of the Labour Party.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10398665/MI5-send-urgent-email-MPs-warning-Chinese-woman.html

She is also a former chief legal adviser to the Chinese embassy in London and a legal adviser to the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office. She is also the secretary of the Inter-Party China Group at Westminster.

As well as embarrassment for Labour Ms Lee also has links to the Conservatives. She appears to have also developed a good relationship with David Cameron while he was prime minister. And in January 2019, she received a Points of Light Award from then premier Theresa May, in recognition of her contribution to good relations with China.
    One of the things that gets me about this is that the donation paid for her son to work there. Can I go up to an MP and say: "Employ my son and I'll pay his salary?"

It sounds kind-of wrong...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

One of the things that gets me about this is that the donation paid for her son to work there. Can I go up to an MP and say: "Employ my son and I'll pay his salary?"

It is wrong. Not to mention stupid on the part of the MP.
  • Options

Didn't Susan Michie daughter work for Jezza under a similar kind of arrangement?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423
    dixiedean said:

September 18 2020 we went under them. Slightly later than some boroughs of GM.
    But we went in them as a region. No nipping a couple of miles down the road.
    The tiers were a big mistake. Understandable in their intentions, but did more than anything else to foster grievance and gloom. Having a shit time is actually quite bearable if you know everyone's having a shit time; it's much worse if you feel arbitrarily singled out.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson's greatest electoral trick was to persuade voters the jester could govern. Partygate's biggest threat to his survival is it unsuspends their disbelief. Is it an emperor’s new clothes moment? My @EveningStandard column today.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/boris-johnson-downing-street-party-cakeism-locdown-b976463.html

Someone has been reading what I wrote on PB a couple of weeks ago. The Emperor's New Clothes attack line is so obvious even I could think of it.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's quite common for the ultra woke these days to double barrel their surnames when they get married, rather than the woman take the man's name, or just keep her own name. It's less about being posh and more about gender equality.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Didn't Susan Michie daughter work for Jezza under a similar kind of arrangement?
    I thought Corbyn and McDonnell were employing each other's children to achieve the same result but without money changing hands.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

I thought Corbyn and McDonnell were employing each other's children to achieve the same result but without money changing hands.
    They did as well as that. Laura Murphy worked for Jezza and her mum and dad made big donations to Jezza.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Someone has been reading what I wrote on PB a couple of weeks ago. The Emperor's New Clothes attack line is so obvious even I could think of it.
    The problem with lines like that is that they're primarily used by the same old Europhiles who've spent years bashing Boris and the people who voted for him because they don't like his politics. People who want to gloat that electing Boris in 2019, or voting for Brexit in 2016 was a mistake.

Boris needs to go, I've been saying it for about four months now, but that doesn't mean people made a mistake in either 2016 or 2019. Boris can govern - he's done some very good things like getting Brexit done and ensuring we're the most vaccinated, most tested and most open economy in Europe.

But it doesn't matter how good a lawmaker is at governing, if they break their own laws, they've got to go. That is a red line that is absolute.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    This China business looks like a desperately needed, and probably gratefully received, bit of respite for the government. A good distraction, even if Cameron and May are alsp implicated, and the Mail has already replaced the partygate story with pictures of Corbyn and Lee and Livingstone and Lee as its main item for the day. When you're under as much pressure as the government is at this very moment, every little helps.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Jacob Rees Mogg is the absolute worst of them. A desperately mediocre man whose contrived, cut glass, accent and privileged birth have bought him position and power that his abilities do not get close to justifying. He is the English disease in its purest human form.

And so hard to avoid too. Where's this Cancel Culture when you really need it? Nowhere to be seen.
    JRM is, of course, a sad example of downward social mobility which can overtake even the most exalted families. His father was a distinguished journalist and editor who rose to the top of his profession through ability alone, and is best remembered for a Times editorial condemning the imprisonment of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards for drug possession.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rolling_Stones'_Redlands_bust
  • Options

A Lego a week and as many Haribos as he can eat doesn't sound too onerous.
  • Options
    On topic, part of Rees-Mogg's problem (as well as giving a gift to Tory opponents in Scotland by underlining that Scottish Tories have no voice and no point) is the Corbyn problem... it's just utterly absurd preaching the value of loyalty when he was so prominent in undermining May, just as it was beyond irony for Corbyn to get upset about the Centrist Dad Awkward Squad when his entire career was built on leading the Communist Grandad Awkward Squad.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's quite common for the ultra woke these days to double barrel their surnames when they get married, rather than the woman take the man's name, or just keep her own name. It's less about being posh and more about gender equality.
    That's doable for a generation but what happens next generation? Are their kids going to have quadruple surnames?

For me one partner taking the other partner's surname made sense not for inequality or superiority but for the kids. The kids should have the same name while kids as both their parents ideally, in a family unit. But those double-barrelling have gone for a nice hit for themselves to say look how equal we are, but don't seem to have considered what their kids are going to have to do when they get married.
  • Options
    nadine dorries on sky news talking about what people “perceived” to have happened, the gaslighting ratbag.
    https://twitter.com/euanmccolm/status/1481649521419448330
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104

kinabalu said:

And so hard to avoid too. Where's this Cancel Culture when you really need it? Nowhere to be seen.
    JRM is, of course, a sad example of downward social mobility which can overtake even the most exalted families. His father was a distinguished journalist and editor who rose to the top of his profession through ability alone, and is best remembered for a Times editorial condemning the imprisonment of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards for drug possession.

Aren't elite private schools essentially a response to high-achieving patents' fear of mean-reversion?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

nadine dorries on sky news talking about what people “perceived” to have happened, the gaslighting ratbag.

gas lighting has become one of the most overused terms in the past couple of years.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

MPs being sent out to defend Boris keep describing his apology as 'fulsome'.

They might want to check their dictionaries..

"fulsome
    in British English
    (ˈfʊlsəm)
    ADJECTIVE - 1) excessive or insincere, esp in an offensive or distasteful way"
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/fulsome

Or maybe they did?

Good spot!
  • Options
    JRM becoming the headlines on the media

He should be summarily dismissed
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

That's doable for a generation but what happens next generation? Are their kids going to have quadruple surnames?

For me one partner taking the other partner's surname made sense not for inequality or superiority but for the kids. The kids should have the same name while kids as both their parents ideally, in a family unit. But those double-barrelling have gone for a nice hit for themselves to say look how equal we are, but don't seem to have considered what their kids are going to have to do when they get married.
    In our case the kids have my name while my wife has kept hers. It doesn't seem to have caused any problems for us although you do sometimes hear about immigration people being a dick about it.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Scott_xP said:

gas lighting has become one of the most overused terms in the past couple of years.
    You're one to talk, given you use it in a post roughly once an hour.

;)
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Scott_xP said:

You're one to talk, given you use it in a post roughly once an hour.

;)
    I see what you did there :-)
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The problem with lines like that is that they're primarily used by the same old Europhiles who've spent years bashing Boris and the people who voted for him because they don't like his politics. People who want to gloat that electing Boris in 2019, or voting for Brexit in 2016 was a mistake.

Boris needs to go, I've been saying it for about four months now, but that doesn't mean people made a mistake in either 2016 or 2019. Boris can govern - he's done some very good things like getting Brexit done and ensuring we're the most vaccinated, most tested and most open economy in Europe.

But it doesn't matter how good a lawmaker is at governing, if they break their own laws, they've got to go. That is a red line that is absolute.
    They didn't make a mistake in 2016 - I still hold that Boris was not he main reason for the referendum win. They did make a massive mistake in 2019. Irrespective of the effect of the outcome on the Brexit progression, no one in the rights minds should have been voting for Boris. Indeed Boris getting into power was probably a bigger threat to the long term success of Brexit than anything else on the horizon at that time and whatever you thought of that particular issue, handing over the keys to the castle to someone so utterly unsuited and irresponsible was not something anyone should have considered.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Long names are quite normal in other cultures, see the actor Alexander Siddig or Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abdurrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi as he's less commonly known.

Siddig has his father's and his grandfather's and his grandfather's father's names in his own, along with lots of describing and joining words. It is apparently the Sudanese way of doing things.

My guess is the kids will get the long names on the birth certificates but go by something much simpler in real life.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    A daytime land landing of the Falcon first stage...still has wow factor no matter how many times they do it.

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1481651037291225113?s=20
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204

Scott_xP said:

There's a lot of it about under the Johnson administration.
  • Options

Indeed Boris getting into power was probably a bigger threat to the long term success of Brexit than anything else on the horizon at that time and whatever you thought of that particular issue, handing over the keys to the castle to someone so utterly unsuited and irresponsible was not something anyone should have considered.

Yup.

History will note his success in winning the referendum, and he will get the blame for the ultimate failure (although it was always destined to fail in any case)
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,199
    edited January 2022

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

And that's one reason why I took my wife's surname when we married. I wanted us to have a single family name and I wasn't fussed which one we used.
  • Options

MPs do have unpaid interns, don't they, as do other organisations? They are being financially supported somehow, presumably parentally in many cases, so isn't that effectively the same?

Unless it's a mechanism to transfer MP's allowance into party funds (i.e. "do pay him from allowance (i.e. public money) but I will reimburse into party funds") in which case that's highly dodgy.

Not saying the particular case wasn't rotten on the facts, just that unpaid internships essentially involve third parties, often parents, taking on the costs in the absence of a wage.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431
    Just in case on interest/use to others...

Just logged into new Octopus Energy account (only went live shortly before Christmas, automatic transfer from bankrupt Avro) to find an apparent debt balance of ~£1k. Bit of a shocker, some mistake, Shirley? Looking into it, it was based on wild estimated readings (actual readings were not requested) which suggested we'd used 4.7MWh of electricity since October and a less eye-watering but still high 300 gas units (are they still cubic feet? cubic metres?). So I added our actual readings (~700kWh of electricity) and 150 gas units which it accepted quite happily.

But it might be worth anyone of a nervous disposition having a wee dram before logging in to Octopus and perhaps mention to any elderly relatives who might get a bit of a shock, too.

We will presumably be much closer to even once the new bill comes out - I'm expecting we might have to up payments given our prices are substantially higher than our old fixed deal.
  • Options

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, it is really hard in practice to dismiss someone for over-attentive brown nosing.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Indeed Boris getting into power was probably a bigger threat to the long term success of Brexit than anything else on the horizon at that time and whatever you thought of that particular issue, handing over the keys to the castle to someone so utterly unsuited and irresponsible was not something anyone should have considered.

Yup.

History will note his success in winning the referendum, and he will get the blame for the ultimate failure (although it was always destined to fail in any case)
    If it is such a failure why are the political parties in the UK, apart from the SNP and Plaid, not promoting rejoining

Some changes to our future relationship is sensible but it will fall short of rejoining

We both want Boris out but not for the same reasons
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited January 2022

Scott_xP said:

They didn't make a mistake in 2016 - I still hold that Boris was not he main reason for the referendum win. They did make a massive mistake in 2019. Irrespective of the effect of the outcome on the Brexit progression, no one in the rights minds should have been voting for Boris. Indeed Boris getting into power was probably a bigger threat to the long term success of Brexit than anything else on the horizon at that time and whatever you thought of that particular issue, handing over the keys to the castle to someone so utterly unsuited and irresponsible was not something anyone should have considered.
    Had Gove or Farage being leading the Leave campaign in 2016 not Boris then it would likely have been Remain 52% Leave 48% not the reverse.

Had Boris not been Tory leader in 2019 but May still or Hunt the redwall would not have fallen and the Tories would not have got the majority needed to pass the Withdrawal Agreement and get Brexit done in the first place
  • Options

Summarily something.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

And that's one reason why I took my wife's surname when we married. I wanted us to have a single family name and I wasn't fussed which one we used.
    Just decide which name sounds better for the two of you and use that imo. But if its Mike Dover and Eileen Hunt getting married best to just keep to your originals though.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Spanish cope with it perfectly fine, don't they?

Being another patriarchy, it is of course the grandfathers' surnames that is passed on to the grandchildren, I believe :wink:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Scott_xP said:

The entertaining Sienna Rodgers commentary on this from the Labour perspective:
    https://tinyurl.com/sorryyoufeel
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Focaldata poll:

Lab 42%
    Con 33%
    LD 11%
    Grn 4%
    Refuk 3%
    SNP 3%
    PC 1%
    oth 2%

Fieldwork: 12 January
    1,003 respondents

More trustworthy
    Starmer: 51% (+7)
    Johnson: 16% (-8)

Changes vs. 20-21 Dec

Since April 2021, Johnson has dropped by *22 points* on this metric.

Johnson
    Disapprove: 65% (+6)
    Approve: 20% (-5)

Starmer
    Disapprove: 35% (+1)
    Approve: 29% (+3)

even among people who voted Conservative in 2019, more think he should resign (46%) than not (43%)

the survey, we also presented respondents with a video of Johnson's PMQs apology in full. People were not buying it.

Sincere: 24%
    Not sincere: 68%

Accept the apology: 26%
    Reject the apology: 63%
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    @Beibheirli_C - what would happen if you had a blind date and a bloke called Jason Robesbury-Macintosh turned up chewing a wriggley and declaiming a Sonnet?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Interesting ; the China story seems to have already been reported by the Times last year - except that time it was about her standing outside the door of No.10. It looks like a re-leak of information which has already been out there for some time, with beautifully useful timing. The Sun is reporting it as a full blow "Red Scare" type story.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965

Summarily something.
    JRM is doing his job here - which is to move the conversation away from parties.

Remember I'm fairly happy for Boris to stay because between PartyGate and the failed promises the Tories will be toast up North.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365

A daytime land landing of the Falcon first stage...still has wow factor no matter how many times they do it.

Fun fact. The other other day, Aerojet were asked how long it would take to make new RS-25 engines (updated versions of the Space Shuttle main engines, used on the new SLS launcher)

They said they'd cut the time *per engine* down to less than *3 years*.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

kinabalu said:

Butterfly on a wheel! Great phrase and hats off to the Daddy Mogg if he coined it.

All his son has coined is coin.
  • Options

Interesting ; the China story seems to have already been reported by the Times last year - except that time it was about her standing outside the door of No.10. It looks like a re-leak of information which has already been out there for some time, with beautifully useful timing.

• Options
    'This prime minister is a formidable leader and I think 20 years would be a good opening'

@Jacob_Rees_Mogg says he would 'absolutely love it' if @BorisJohnson became the UK's longest ever serving prime minister https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-13/covid-rules-were-very-hard-to-obey-and-pm-wont-resign-rees-mogg-says https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1481646044152668163/video/1
  • Options
    eek said:

Summarily something.
    JRM is doing his job here - which is to move the conversation away from parties.

Remember I'm fairly happy for Boris to stay because between PartyGate and the failed promises the Tories will be toast up North.
    Agreed.

Agreed.
  • Options

A Lego a week and as many Haribos as he can eat doesn't sound too onerous.
    Start 'em young. ;)
  • Options

Fun fact. The other other day, Aerojet were asked how long it would take to make new RS-25 engines (updated versions of the Space Shuttle main engines, used on the new SLS launcher)

And one wonders why Elon Musk is winning at this space lark.....
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Dismissed by who?

He is supporting the PM.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Interesting ; the China story seems to have already been reported by the Times last year - except that time it was about her standing outside the door of No.10. It looks like a re-leak of information which has already been out there for some time, with beautifully useful timing.

I don't think Cummings would want the McCarthy-style anti-Corbyn coverage the Sun ( and to a lesser extent Mail ) are suddenly coming up with, though, at this particular moment. It looks more damaging for Labour. Large donatons, Corbyn and Livingstone, reds under the bed, etc.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965

Successfully landed for the 10th time - they are just proving the point now.
  • Options

How much lead time does that involve for components, or is it all just assembly?

(But yes, it is a long time. Then again, the SSMEs are beasts.)
  • Options
    eek said:

Successfully landed for the 10th time - they are just proving the point now.
    Nobody likes a show off....
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    I don't like JRM, and I don't agree with defending Boris Johnson. And it's obviously not smart to attack a colleague in such terms, but this will not have any impact on anything. Sure, a few of Ross's opponents may use the quote against him come the election, but if you're in the SNP or Labour, do you REALLY want to be putting JRM quotes on your leaflets?

I suspect JRM thinks he could be heading for the backbenches if Boris goes, so it's fine for his to want to shore up the leader. JRM isn't working for the same outcomes as me, but no point in making a Munro out of a Marilyn.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Butterfly on a wheel! Great phrase and hats off to the Daddy Mogg if he coined it.

All his son has coined is coin.
    Pope, though père evidently had better taste in thieving for his style than fils.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423
    On happier matters - prediction for today's figures: 90,000; 300; 2100.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited January 2022

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

My wife dropped part of her double barreled surname (which she had due to her *checks notes* ultra woke 19th century feminist ancestors) when she married me.

It's not hard.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

I don't like JRM, and I don't agree with defending Boris Johnson. And it's obviously not smart to attack a colleague in such terms, but this will not have any impact on anything. Sure, a few of Ross's opponents may use the quote against him come the election, but if you're in the SNP or Labour, do you REALLY want to be putting JRM quotes on your leaflets?

I suspect JRM thinks he could be heading for the backbenches if Boris goes, so it's fine for his to want to shore up the leader. JRM isn't working for the same outcomes as me, but no point in making a Munro out of a Marilyn.

For JRM yes trying to appeal to Scottish Conservatives would be as pointless as Corbyn trying to appeal to Blairites would have been for him
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The masterstroke to make a Tory majority more likely at the next election is to get rid of the Scottish MPs before then. That way the Tories lose 6 MPs but the Opposition lose 45.

Could Rees Mogg be laying the groundwork for a Unilateral Declaration of getting rid of Scotland by the Tories?

And if that is the plan, I wonder how and when the only Tory in the village will become fully signed up to that agenda?

On today's poll Starmer would have a majority even in England and Wales so that would be pointless too, it is only the UK result giving a hung parliament. Especially as in the tables now out from last night's Yougov Scotland is now the only UK region other than the South of England where the Conservatives are still ahead of Labour
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/01/13/voting-intention-con-28-lab-38-11-12-jan
    FUDHY, if you’re happy, then I’m happy:

SNP 55%
    SCon 18%
    SLab 17%
    SLD 6%
    Grn 1%
    Refuk 1%
    oth 3%
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Scott_xP said:

I don't think Cummings would want the McCarthy-style anti-Corbyn coverage the Sun ( and to a lesser extent Mail ) are suddenly coming up with, though. It looks more damaging for Labour. Large donatons, Corbyn and Livingstone, reds under the bed, etc.
    Not to wreck your conspiracy it is all some sort of diversion tactic to knock Party-gate off the headlines, but this has come about because The Lord Speaker today has emailed everybody after MI5 briefed him that this individual is another spy operating in and around Westminster. The Lord Speaker is of course John McFall, a former Labour minister.
  • Options

MPs do have unpaid interns, don't they, as do other organisations? They are being financially supported somehow, presumably parentally in many cases, so isn't that effectively the same?

Unless it's a mechanism to transfer MP's allowance into party funds (i.e. "do pay him from allowance (i.e. public money) but I will reimburse into party funds") in which case that's highly dodgy.

Not saying the particular case wasn't rotten on the facts, just that unpaid internships essentially involve third parties, often parents, taking on the costs in the absence of a wage.
    I'm unsure that follows. If I was an MP wanting an unpaid intern (and that's something I don't like either), then I should apply for one on an open market and choose the best. Their parents may be paying for them, but they have no financial input into my choice.

In this case, I get a donation and it goes straight to her son. I doubt the role was fully and properly procured, and it just so happened that her son was the 'best' candidate ...
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

The masterstroke to make a Tory majority more likely at the next election is to get rid of the Scottish MPs before then. That way the Tories lose 6 MPs but the Opposition lose 45.

Could Rees Mogg be laying the groundwork for a Unilateral Declaration of getting rid of Scotland by the Tories?

And if that is the plan, I wonder how and when the only Tory in the village will become fully signed up to that agenda?

On today's poll Starmer would have a majority even in England and Wales so that would be pointless too, it is only the UK result giving a hung parliament. Especially as in the tables now out from last night's Yougov Scotland is now the only UK region other than the South of England where the Conservatives are still ahead of Labour
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/01/13/voting-intention-con-28-lab-38-11-12-jan
    FUDHY, if you’re happy, then I’m happy:

SNP 55%
    SCon 18%
    SLab 17%
    SLD 6%
    Grn 1%
    Refuk 1%
    oth 3%
    Yes, Scotland is the only region in the UK the Conservatives are still ahead of Labour apart from the South outside London as I said.

Of course if Starmer does win most seats UK wide as this poll suggests, even if the SNP won every seat in Scotland Starmer could still ignore them as PM and just focus on Gordon Brown's grand devomax commission
  • Options
    Cookie said:

On happier matters - prediction for today's figures: 90,000; 300; 2100.

109,133 - 335 - 2,184
This discussion has been closed.