Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Help keep PB going for another year – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2022 in General
imageHelp keep PB going for another year – politicalbetting.com

Many thanks for your support in the past.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Done

@rcs1000 please note
  • Police release fresh image of woman after anti-vaxxers stole test kits and dumped them in a bin as they rampaged through NHS Covid test and trace centre

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10358451/Police-hunt-woman-anti-vaxxers-stole-test-kits-dumped-bin.html
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    Thanks Mike. I lost a bet with @rkrkrk when I bet with him that there would be no more restrictions this year with winnings to the site and asked at the time for a link. I am pleased not to being going into the new year with that on my conscience.

Police release fresh image of woman after anti-vaxxers stole test kits and dumped them in a bin as they rampaged through NHS Covid test and trace centre

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10358451/Police-hunt-woman-anti-vaxxers-stole-test-kits-dumped-bin.html

Its a bit of a pity that burning at the stake has gone so out of fashion.
    eek said:

Repeating this here as it's too good to waste on a now dead thread

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

I am determined that 2022 is going to be a better year. Its a low bar, this one has been crap.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Chucked in a few bob. Thanks to OGH, and to @rcs1000 for keeping the lights on.
  • Also FPT, the BBC will stream the new year celebrations on Youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VurcwV-3zNc
  • DavidL said:

Police release fresh image of woman after anti-vaxxers stole test kits and dumped them in a bin as they rampaged through NHS Covid test and trace centre

Its a bit of a pity that burning at the stake has gone so out of fashion.
    I think it should be replaced with a modern version...forced COVID vaccination.

Also FPT, the BBC will stream the new year celebrations on Youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VurcwV-3zNc

What, even to Scotland?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

I am determined that 2022 is going to be a better year. Its a low bar, this one has been crap.
    We need that Boris picture with two thumbs up. I think 2021 was better than 2020 by far, despite the crap weather all year. Hopefully we'll have better weather and no lockdowns this coming year.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,612
    Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

So here's my current theory on the mismatch between infections and in hospital for COVID. Three doses of vaccines gives close to zero protection from asymptomatic infection, I have seen that close up with my parents, both triple dosed for a few weeks before they got infected, neither have had any symptoms at all but both PCR positive. So what we may actually have is close to 100% of people in the country likely to get some kind of Omicron infection which is why the infection stats look absolutely terrible with ~200k per day being detected by testing and 2.2m people in England having it last week.

However, it seems as though very few of the infected actually get severe symptoms, whether that's because Omicron is inherently more mild or because of high rates of immunity against severe disease or both is still a bit of an unknown, but it seems very difficult to deny it now.

Looking at the specific data release from the ONS, Delta still accounted for around a third of the total cases over the previous monitoring period which means of the 7k in hospital a very significant proportion will have been because of Delta, for the 1.4m Omicron cases during the monitoring period we may actually only have seen a 2-4k hospitalisations *for* COVID. Once again, this proved why the NHS trusts are so bullish over not needing more restrictions and the government also more bullish than most of us expected.

Here's the bottom line - Omicron may only have a CHR of 1/400 to 1/700 in the UK with our level of population immunity. Delta we know had a CHR of around 1/100 over the summer/autumn but with a worse population immunity profile.

That's my theory too. Everyone will get it, relatively few will notice.
    I am still holding out for more data on virulence of omicron, but I am convinced that lockdown measures will be ineffective against it for a mixture of technical (the R0 of omicron) and behavioural (lockdown burnout) reasons.
    I ran a crude CAR (Case Admissions Rate) calculation for the England data....

Admissions highest in kids ?
    Its the number of cases per admission - which has *fallen* for 0-17 groups....
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    Thanks so much. Donation made.

I hope 2022 is much better than the last two years, to the extent I spend far less time here ;)
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,232
    I hear some guys are thinking of starting a New Year. Just wipe the slate clean and begin again. Good idea
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

We need that Boris picture with two thumbs up. I think 2021 was better than 2020 by far, despite the crap weather all year. Hopefully we'll have better weather and no lockdowns this coming year.
    This one?

• rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Anyone fancy an under/over bet on England hospitalizations peak, winnings to pb.com? You set the number, I'll choose under/over.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

2020 was worse so the curve is at least ascending.
    Leon said:

I hear some guys are thinking of starting a New Year. Just wipe the slate clean and begin again. Good idea

Start covid from scratch? No thanks ;)
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,738
    edited December 2021
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

This one?

*Truly vile image deleted*
    Do you mind? I've just had lunch.

Edited after I realised I'd quoted the picture and therefore made it worse!
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Ftpt

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I really should have put money on "when the mild varient turns up covidminiziers/psychotics will use it as evidence that it has all been a big fuss about nothing and we should have never have tslen any minimisation measures" because that was a sure thing.

We're back to March 2020 "no worse than a bad flu season"

Who's saying that? I don't see a single person saying that.

Its much worse than a bad flu season, but the damage from restrictions has been worse than the damage from Covid.
    Your hypothetical 1% death rate and no long lasting disruption bar funeral homes is pure wish fulfillment fantasy.
    1% death rate is the rough scientific evidence of the death rate for original Covid. Even in countries where its been left to rip and without healthcare systems available to all the death rate has not surpassed that. Not a single nation on the entire planet has surpassed 1% excess deaths since the pandemic began.

I said that I regretted backing lockdowns last year and that in hindsight I think they were a mistake before Omicron evolved, so my opinion being that today is not a reaction to Omicron. EDIT: That relates to @Endillion too.
    You posited the infection rate of Omicron with the lethality of Wuhan.

Wuhan only had the death rate it did because it spread as slow as it did.

Faster spread of Wuhan == higher death rate.
    Indeed but how much higher would it be? Not everyone is guaranteed to catch the virus even with the higher infection rate.

1% deaths would be 25% more deaths than the highest on the planet has recorded in excess deaths since the pandemic began - and that's a relatively small nation that is an outlier. It would be about 50% more deaths than the second and third highest death tolls on the entire planet.

That seems a reasonably close estimate.
    You are not comparing like for like at all. At All. You are trying to compare the results on countries have that reacted to a much much slower spreading variant with the blazing fast speed of omicron that has had its spread slowed down massively due to vaccination and prior infection

Omicron spread + wuhan lethality + no pre warning + no mitigation means everyone gets it, masses die.

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

I thought 2021 was worse to be honest. We started 2020 knowing things were turning grim but with a lot of hope that vaccines were going to make us invulnerable.

And it has been a grim slog ever since to the point where you concluded on the previous thread that there is minimal evidence that even 3 vaccines stops you from being infected with this wretched virus and even if you were unlikely to be seriously ill you can still pass it on. Hopefully anti-virials will prove a better way out of this mess.

• Its a bit of a pity that burning at the stake has gone so out of fashion.
    I believe that having one's account barred on Twitter is the modern equivalent.
    Alistair said:

Ftpt

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I really should have put money on "when the mild varient turns up covidminiziers/psychotics will use it as evidence that it has all been a big fuss about nothing and we should have never have tslen any minimisation measures" because that was a sure thing.

Its much worse than a bad flu season, but the damage from restrictions has been worse than the damage from Covid.
    Your hypothetical 1% death rate and no long lasting disruption bar funeral homes is pure wish fulfillment fantasy.
    1% death rate is the rough scientific evidence of the death rate for original Covid. Even in countries where its been left to rip and without healthcare systems available to all the death rate has not surpassed that. Not a single nation on the entire planet has surpassed 1% excess deaths since the pandemic began.

I said that I regretted backing lockdowns last year and that in hindsight I think they were a mistake before Omicron evolved, so my opinion being that today is not a reaction to Omicron. EDIT: That relates to @Endillion too.

Indeed but how much higher would it be? Not everyone is guaranteed to catch the virus even with the higher infection rate.

1% deaths would be 25% more deaths than the highest on the planet has recorded in excess deaths since the pandemic began - and that's a relatively small nation that is an outlier. It would be about 50% more deaths than the second and third highest death tolls on the entire planet.

You are not comparing like for like at all. At All. You are trying to compare the results on countries have that reacted to a much much slower spreading variant with the blazing fast speed of omicron that has had its spread slowed down massively due to vaccination and prior infection

Omicron spread + wuhan lethality + no pre warning + no mitigation means everyone gets it, masses die.

And it's entirely possible we do get a virus like that at some point.
  • Done a pony
  • Done a pony

Bit harsh, did it allegedly have TB?
    Eabhal said:

I hope 2022 is much better than the last two years, to the extent I spend far less time here ;)

Likewise. 2021 was fucking awful, for me, but still managed to be better than 2020. Which was *unbelievably* fucking awful.

So far the 20s have not exactly rocked

The lowlight of 2021 - the absolute nadir - was the winter lockdown. On my own. I particularly remember one day going to meet a friend and we had thermoses of mulled wine and we walked along the Thames on a freezing day and we weren’t even allowed to sit on a bench and chat - and then it began to sleet. Jesus fucking Christ on a tricycle

The highlight of 2021 - probably the apex - was taking ayahuasca in a billionaire’s temple in the Balearics. Absolutely sublime. And that was just a couple of weeks ago. So at least the gradient is up and the year ends on a mind-bending note. Here’s to 2022
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Ftpt

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Inevitable surely?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    2022 is going to be a fantastic year for Britain
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,273
    edited December 2021
    Done via Paypal, not through my PB registered email though.

If you keep track Mike, it's PP transaction id 20882277245826060

Thanks for keeping PB going!
  • ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Ftpt

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Indeed. And a death toll 3-4x higher than we saw here to date, all in a couple of months instead of a couple of years, 50% higher than the highest rates seen in the worst countries to date (barring a small outlier) would be "masses dying".
  • Do you take crypto...
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

I thought 2021 was worse to be honest. We started 2020 knowing things were turning grim but with a lot of hope that vaccines were going to make us invulnerable.

And it has been a grim slog ever since to the point where you concluded on the previous thread that there is minimal evidence that even 3 vaccines stops you from being infected with this wretched virus and even if you were unlikely to be seriously ill you can still pass it on. Hopefully anti-virials will prove a better way out of this mess.
    Does it matter if you get infected but experience no or few symptoms? I'm not sure what the issue is. That has always been the endgame for COVID, to turn it into another endemic cold that no one cares about. Three doses of vaccine gets us there with Omicron, it seems like one prior infection does as well due to cross immunity from memory cells (going on yesterday's paper, there's little to no dilution of memory cell based immunity).

I think you should reanalyse the situation, would you be worried about catching one of the other four coronaviruses that are related to the common cold? I doubt it. That's the stage we're at with COVID for the triple jabbed or previously infected. So it doesn't matter that vaccine protection against infection is not very high, we're never going to be in a position where we can prevent infection from COVID, only minimise the symptoms to an extent that it doesn't cause mass hospitalisation and death. Looking at the stats coming from NHS England and the ONS, it seems as though we're already there.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Great stat under the Piers thing.
    2 players so far scored in EPL this season and in 2005-6.
    CR7 and Aaron Lennon!
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Looking back at my 2021 predictions, they were mostly wrong.

But my summary was: "Overall 2021 will not be the tonic of a year people are hoping for. The struggle against the virus will consume most of it."
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

This one?

Phwoar!
    I don’t have very much money but I’ve donated what I can spare. Thanks for the site and the community.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Likewise. 2021 was fucking awful, for me, but still managed to be better than 2020. Which was *unbelievably* fucking awful.

The lowlight of 2021 - the absolute nadir - was the winter lockdown. On my own. I particularly remember one day going to meet a friend and we had thermoses of mulled wine and we walked along the Thames on a freezing day and we weren’t even allowed to sit on a bench and chat - and then it began to sleet. Jesus fucking Christ on a tricycle

The highlight of 2021 - probably the apex - was taking ayahuasca in a billionaire’s temple in the Balearics. Absolutely sublime. And that was just a couple of weeks ago. So at least the gradient is up and the year ends on a mind-bending note. Here’s to 2022
    Your clairvoyant friend predicted a major war in 2021. That didn't pan out*, so there're reasons to be cheerful.

*Still 9 hours left I guess.
  • DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

i think financially for many people 2022 will be worse as inflation bites and govt free money dries up...of course it was that same free money that was behind the support for lockdowns

I don’t have very much money but I’ve donated what I can spare. Thanks for the site and the community.

Surely we've got some whales on here that can help subsidise the rest. :D
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

I have over 50 days of leave to burn up this year - combo of rolled over holiday and being on medical leave at the mo.

I have a very chill manager, so adventure awaits. Aus, Nepal, Africa, India, the Hebrides, NZ, Canada.
  • Done a pony

Bit harsh, did it allegedly have TB?
    It's rhyming slang. Pony and trap. @gettingbetter has done a poo. Not sure why they needed to tell us, mind.
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Your clairvoyant friend predicted a major war in 2021. That didn't pan out*, so there're reasons to be cheerful.

Don’t tempt Fate. I hear she’s in a bad mood
  • The word of 2022 will be INFLATION....
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Don’t tempt Fate. I hear she’s in a bad mood
    Fate? She's powerless. Powerless, stupid, and not a little smelly. You hear that, Fate? Pongy feet.
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

I have over 50 days of leave to burn up this year - combo of rolled over holiday and being on medical leave at the mo.

I have a very chill manager, so adventure awaits. Aus, Nepal, Africa, India, the Hebrides, NZ, Canada.
    I’ve got Ukraine (yes, I know), the Deep South, Greece and Thailand lined up. Please God let it happen
  • Israel has started to administer fourth Covid vaccine shots to people with weakened immune systems, amid a surge in cases driven by Omicron.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    I had thought that, following Brexit, we would be going back to the earlier tradition of starting a New Year on Lady Day.
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

Does it matter if you get infected but experience no or few symptoms? I'm not sure what the issue is. That has always been the endgame for COVID, to turn it into another endemic cold that no one cares about. Three doses of vaccine gets us there with Omicron, it seems like one prior infection does as well due to cross immunity from memory cells (going on yesterday's paper, there's little to no dilution of memory cell based immunity).

I think you should reanalyse the situation, would you be worried about catching one of the other four coronaviruses that are related to the common cold? I doubt it. That's the stage we're at with COVID for the triple jabbed or previously infected. So it doesn't matter that vaccine protection against infection is not very high, we're never going to be in a position where we can prevent infection from COVID, only minimise the symptoms to an extent that it doesn't cause mass hospitalisation and death. Looking at the stats coming from NHS England and the ONS, it seems as though we're already there.
    At the beginning of 2020 the general belief was 2 vaccines would make you immune creating herd immunity and leaving the virus nowhere to go. That hope started to wane in 2020 and has been demolished this year.

And we still have 5m or so numpties who are not so vaccinated. And they are going to keep filling up our hospitals for much of the coming year unless the anti-virials work their magic. And many other people, including the vaccinated, will suffer as a result. It's bloody annoying tbh.
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

I’ve got Ukraine (yes, I know), the Deep South, Greece and Thailand lined up. Please God let it happen
    Who's hired you to provide your flint penetrative weapons in the forthcoming war?
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    My donation is made.

Though I've been a bit poorly this year, chatting sh*t or even just reading it does help me get through these dark times.

Israel has started to administer fourth Covid vaccine shots to people with weakened immune systems, amid a surge in cases driven by Omicron.

We’re doing that too. I have my fourth shot due in early March.
    kyf_100 said:

My donation is made.

Though I've been a bit poorly this year, chatting sh*t or even just reading it does help me get through these dark times.

I'm disappointed my awesome puns are not one of the things you benefit from.
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

At the beginning of 2020 the general belief was 2 vaccines would make you immune creating herd immunity and leaving the virus nowhere to go. That hope started to wane in 2020 and has been demolished this year.

And we still have 5m or so numpties who are not so vaccinated. And they are going to keep filling up our hospitals for much of the coming year unless the anti-virials work their magic. And many other people, including the vaccinated, will suffer as a result. It's bloody annoying tbh.
    I agree with your venom at the anti-vaxxers but surely the vast majority of them will get Omicron in the next few weeks, if they haven’t already. Hundreds of thousands are catching it DAILY right now
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Might climb all the 3000ft hills in Ireland and Wales and complete the 'Furths'.
    ydoethur said:

kyf_100 said:

My donation is made.

I've read more than nine of your puns, and you'd think that some of them would have made me smile. But no pun in ten did.
    kyf_100 said:

My donation is made.

Sorry to hear of your travails - some of which I share. Lockdown sent me mental as well

I am very very very very very very cautiously optimistic that 2022 will be better. For us both? HNY!

• LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

The word of 2022 will be INFLATION....

If we're lucky. Otherwise we'll end up spending most of the year arguing whether to use hyper-inflation, with a hyphen, or hyperinflation, without.
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

kyf_100 said:

My donation is made.

I've read more than nine of your puns, and you'd think that some of them would have made me smile. But no pun in ten did.
    Since I was the first one to use that line on here, one at least has gone home...

Or maybe you just thought of it while you were pundering on how to respond.
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

Nah, even at the beginning of this we knew that stopping all transmission was never really on the cards, just a reduction in symptoms. Three doses of vaccine has the effect of reducing severe symptoms by 93-95% against Omicron and we're already starting from a lower base.

People may have fooled themselves into believing that COVID could be eradicated but it has always been impossible, simply there are billions of wild and domesticated animals that have it.
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

I agree with your venom at the anti-vaxxers but surely the vast majority of them will get Omicron in the next few weeks, if they haven’t already. Hundreds of thousands are catching it DAILY right now
    Yup, Omicron is going to find those unvaccinated fools very quickly.

If we're lucky. Otherwise we'll end up spending most of the year arguing whether to use hyper-inflation, with a hyphen, or hyperinflation, without.
    Christ. Thanks. Hyper inflation. Fantastic

So basically the 2020s are going to be a repeat of the 1920s. As they were experienced in Germany.

Brilliant
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    40% of no-shows for boosters...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJXJBcGi5c
  • Leon said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

yep that should end it
    also most antivaxxers are younger anyway and less vulnerable
  • MaxPB said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

mind your language they see themselves as freedom fighters
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,849
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

This one?

If Charisma was a pliable material one could use to sculpt a human figure this is surely what the end result would look like.

Where's Isam when you need him?
    londoneye said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

The rest of us see them as idiots.
    londoneye said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

yep that should end it
    Most of the anti-vaxxers I know have now had Covid. None died, but none were vulnerable
    londoneye said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

Mind your language? No. It's simple, they are fools.
  • 40% of no-shows for boosters...

anecdotally i hear of a lot of people who arent going to get the booster....they join the dirty disgusting ranks of the antivaxxers
  • RobD said:

londoneye said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

there is something called humour Rob you should try it sometime
  • Leon said:

londoneye said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

yep that should end it
    Most of the anti-vaxxers I know have now had Covid. None died, but none were vulnerable
    and that is job done
    londoneye said:

RobD said:

londoneye said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

there is something called humour Rob you should try it sometime
    Yeah, calling them freedom fighters was a joke.
    Ah-ha! My NHS record has updated at last.

And I had Moderna for my third dose. Not Pfizer as I thought.

(Not that I was terribly exercised either way but it's good to have the mix and match for the better protection.)
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    Anyone know how to get a certificate of recovery from Covid? Do you have to have tested positive via a PCR test given by NHS? Will this appear on your NHS App? Thanks
  • ydoethur said:

(Not that I was terribly exercised either way but it's good to have the mix and match for the better protection.)

yep bet you cant wait to get your 4th jab now...Farage says hes stopping at 2
    Stocky said:

Anyone know how to get a certificate of recovery from Covid? Do you have to have tested positive via a PCR test given by NHS? Will this appear on your NHS App? Thanks

PCR and LFT records appear on the NHS app if you select your pass and click 'show Covid records.'
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,054
    Done. Happy New Year.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    A contribution toward PB running costs is a bargain as far as I'm concerned.
    londoneye said:

ydoethur said:

yep bet you cant wait to get your 4th jab now...Farage says hes stopping at 2
    Well, that merely proves I'm more than twice as intelligent as Farage.

(Actually it's probably more like a factor of four, but that's still covered by 'more than.')
  • 2021 was a boring slog. I got to late September and genuinely couldn't see my way through the last few months of work this year. It felt like 2 years packaged up into 1 already and still a good quarter to go.

2020 at least had a glorious summer. After maybe two weeks, that original lockdown was easy - long walks (that 1 hr rule was never in the statutes and local police took it with a light touch), patio beers on warm nights, every unexpected chat or meeting cherished.

2021. Slog.
  • RobD said:

londoneye said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

A fool and his money life are soon parted.
    londoneye said:

40% of no-shows for boosters...

anecdotally i hear of a lot of people who arent going to get the booster....they join the dirty disgusting ranks of the antivaxxers
    Indeed they do.
    edited December 2021
    UKHSA and the Cambridge University MRC Biostatistics unit found vaccines do work to prevent serious illness from Omicron.

One dose of any vaccine was associated with a 35 per cent reduced risk of hospitalisation among symptomatic cases with the Omicron variant.

Two doses with a 67 per cent reduction up to 24 weeks after the second dose and a 51 per cent reduced risk 25 or more weeks after the second dose.

Vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation was estimated as 52 per cent after one dose, 72 per cent two to 24 weeks after dose two, 52 per cent 25+ weeks after dose 2 and 88 per cent two weeks after a booster dose.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/17186659/covid-boosters-88-effective-hospitalisation/

GET F##KING BOOSTERED....
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Leon said:

So basically the 2020s are going to be a repeat of the 1920s. As they were experienced in Germany.

Brilliant
    We are not going to have hyper inflation because the Bank will reduce the money supply if it feeds through into contract negotiations, rather than being one off supply chain constraints.
  • londoneye said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

2021 showing 2022 around

Happy New Year folks.

You seem awfully concerned about how they see themselves.

I see them as a statistic - and one that are knowingly jeopardising our freedom too.
  • Leon said:

Brilliant
    If it's any help, AEP in Telegraph says it wont get that bad. But German inflation will be bad enough to start serious moves towards Deutsch Exit. Germans don't like inflation.

• kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Leon said:

Brilliant
    Buy bitcoin.
  • kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Brilliant
    Buy bitcoin.
    Worse than a pyramid scheme.

Buy gold if you want something real.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    FPT in relation to Malmesbury's Case Admission Rate by age cohort graph (for which many thanks):

Almost perfect* inverse ratio to triple vaccination rates

*Edit: save 0-5 age cohort, which is probably a non-independent variable as they belong with parents (i.e. they are accompanied by parents wherever they go and so their exposure level mirrors that of their parents')
  • Done a pony

Ditto
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    edited December 2021
    ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

PCR and LFT records appear on the NHS app if you select your pass and click 'show Covid records.'
    Where on the App?

When I open my NHS App it says;

NHS Covid Pass
    View your messages
    Linked Profiles
    View your GP health records
    Oder a prescription
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Afternoon all :)

Ladies and Gentlemen, I've done something I've never done before !!

No, I have in fact travelled on a Thames Clipper from Battersea Power Station (one modern soulless dump) to Canary Wharf (ditto).

I'm sure @Leon, who seems to have been everywhere, would agree some of the finest views of London are from the river and it's a glorious journey downstream through the capital.

The trouble with the Thames Clipper is, to use another aquatic analogy, it's neither fish nor fowl. As a tourist attraction, it has to compete with all the cruise boats which ply their trade up and down the river ranging from the conventional boats to the speedier and perhaps less comfortable boats.

If it were to be a serious commuter option, there would have to be a lot of changes. First, the speed limit through central London is, I believe, just 12 mph on the water which is fine if you want to admire the view and take photos but not much cop if you want to get somewhere.

Second, there are a lot of stops - if you want to go on something that stops a lot, the Underground will offer that and do it quicker. The third problem is it's fine if you want to go to Battersea Power Station but there's not much service beyond that - there are a few morning and evening peak services to Putney after which there's a gap before another service from Kew to Hampton Court.

Some high-speed limited stop services from east and west into London would help the morning and evening peak journeys leaving off-peak and weekend services for the more leisurely traveller.

To be fair, the boats are lovely and the staff excellent and they do their best - the other thing that struck me on the journey there were plenty of boats from Vauxhall to Tower Bridge but almost nothing east of Tower Bridge - the blocks of flats in the old wharves along Limehouse for example hardly seem to be aware of the river at all which seems odd.
    FPT TimT Posts: 4,926
    10:15AM
    londoneye said:
    "no if i was an animal i would be a bear roaming the rockies"

I think I'd be a giant panda: I could be fat and lazy, everyone would still think I'm cute.

Leon said:

Brilliant
    If it's any help, AEP in Telegraph says it wont get that bad.
    Not really. I mean, he's not Anatole Kaletsky but nor is he Nostradamus.
  • TimT said:

londoneye said:

I think I'd be a giant panda: I could be fat and lazy, everyone would still think I'm cute.

But they don't do much of the horizontal jogging....
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Leon said:

Brilliant
    If it's any help, AEP in Telegraph says it wont get that bad. But German inflation will be bad enough to start serious moves towards Deutsch Exit. Germans don't like inflation.

Always wrong AEP says inflation won't be bad. Hyperinflation it is then..
  • (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    3h
    Sage, 18 December. "To prevent such a wave of hospitalisations, [minimum of 3,000 a day] more stringent measures would need to be implemented before 202". They weren't. So that's it. According to SAGE there is now no way of stopping that wave. It's locked in.
    edited December 2021
    'The best way to enjoy New Year's Eve is to watch the London show on TV'

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan says London's "spectacular" fireworks display will "show the defining moments of 2021 and showcase some of the best things to come next year".

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1476936661896466464?s=20

TimT said:

londoneye said:

But they don't do much of the horizontal jogging....
    Despite lots of encouragement ...
This discussion has been closed.