Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This May 2020 pic from Number 10 will add to the pressure on BJ – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Scott Gottlieb, MD
    @ScottGottliebMD
    · 1h
    In South Africa, we’re thankfully seeing a striking decoupling between new Covid cases and ICU admissions and deaths. Whether #Omicron is inherently less virulent, whether this hopeful finding is result of baseline immunity in infected, or a combination of both, is still unclear.
  • Options
    Telegraph reporting anti vaxxers block booked appointments to stop people getting vaccinated

Now that is something to really make one's blood boil

I am left speechless
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

England men’s football team get team of the year.

Pathetic. They won **** all, and poor Southgate had to acknowledge that.

Daley and Lee should have won that.

The most ridiculous opinion aired on here for quite some time. Bravo.
    Why ?

A gallant loser is still a loser.
    That's stupid Trump talk.

I go down in a 5 set thriller in the Wimbledon final.

I come 1st in the Hampstead annual crepe tossing contest.

Which is the greater achievement?
    They lost, pathetically. On penalties, again. Despite being the better team in terms of talent

England is the home of football, with the world’s greatest football league, and now an embarrassment of young footballing skill

We should be expecting to WIN tournaments - like Germany, France, Italy or Spain - not pitifully grateful for a silver medal

It’s this loser attitude that means we lose. When we ditch this attitude, we win. See various English/British teams in rugby, cricket, golf, Olympic sports etc
    That's drivel. Stop it.
    Give over. You love Southgate because he’s a Remoaner Guardian reader, you love the team because they spent half the tournament on one knee

They still lost. Losers should not get medals
    I think the greater truth is you hate him and the team because of that. Nobody does more culture war than you. Indeed I recall you saying you wanted them to flop because of the Knee. It was perhaps your worst post on here apart from some of the other ones.
    I despise them for being overpaid, overpraised losers, like too many England teams. Taking the knee just made them virtue-signaling losers, which is even worse
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205

Telegraph reporting anti vaxxers block booked appointments to stop people getting vaccinated

I am left speechless

We are a democracy and they have a right to Protest peacefully
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303

I am left speechless

If that is true, surely there must be some waY of prosecuting them, even if it's only wasting government time.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Scott Gottlieb, MD
    @ScottGottliebMD
    · 1h
    In South Africa, we’re thankfully seeing a striking decoupling between new Covid cases and ICU admissions and deaths. Whether #Omicron is inherently less virulent, whether this hopeful finding is result of baseline immunity in infected, or a combination of both, is still unclear.

It's a shame the BBC gives so much air time to the joke modellers rather than report on the real world impact of Omicron
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

They lost, pathetically. On penalties, again. Despite being the better team in terms of talent

England is the home of football, with the world’s greatest football league, and now an embarrassment of young footballing skill

We should be expecting to WIN tournaments - like Germany, France, Italy or Spain - not pitifully grateful for a silver medal

It’s this loser attitude that means we lose. When we ditch this attitude, we win. See various English/British teams in rugby, cricket, golf, Olympic sports etc
    That's drivel. Stop it.
    Give over. You love Southgate because he’s a Remoaner Guardian reader, you love the team because they spent half the tournament on one knee

I think the greater truth is you hate him and the team because of that. Nobody does more culture war than you. Indeed I recall you saying you wanted them to flop because of the Knee. It was perhaps your worst post on here apart from some of the other ones.
    I despise them for being overpaid, overpraised losers, like too many England teams. Taking the knee just made them virtue-signaling losers, which is even worse
    Virtue signalling since 1837: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Am_I_not_a_man_and_a_brother?_LCCN2008661312.jpg

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,979
    BigRich said:

RobD said:

BigRich said:

Have we had an exit pole for Chile yet?

They are reading the tea leaves at the moment with the first few hundred votes.
    Thanks,

My Spanish is not so good, and the few links I tried where all indisiverable to me, Boric seems to be shortening on the markets but only slightly.
    Kast conceded.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I am told that this man having wine and cheese with the PM is Martin Reynolds, Boris Johnson’s Principal Private Secretary.

Mr Reynolds appears to be assisting with the investigation into parties in Downing Street last year. He emailed staff about it on Monday.

https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1472669740397178884/photo/1

Fuck right off. No wonder Philip is so desperate to say "nothing to see here"
    I want Boris out, but this is just pathetic.

"Woman who lives in flat is in her own garden, news at 11"

Fuck off. Get some serious shit, there's enough of it going around.
    Indeed, a total non story pushed by leftwingers. Most of us had socials in our garden last spring and summer and most of those in the photo in the No 10 garden with the PM and Carrie were civil servants working there anyway
    It was against the rules to have socials in gardens. Most of us occasionally had a quick chat at a distance on someone’s doorstep while dropping off food or some other pretext and that was it for social life. I remember how exciting it was when it changed in June(?) to be permissible to sit in someone else’s garden and see people you hasn’t seen for 3 months.

Maybe you were breaking the rules too, but most people really weren’t.
    You could have socials in gardens last May even in limited numbers.

Plus those in the photo were at No 10 for government work purposes anyway
    Will you please stop using the phrase "last" and specify the actual fucking year?
    I went months at a time without seeing my family in 2020.
    HYUFD, why are you defending this crap? Despite it being abundantly clear the government want to implement another lockdown, your personal red line. And the only thing from stopping them are these photos of the Prime Minister taking the piss out of all of us.
    There is no evidence Boris wants another lockdown even if civil servants do
    Then why is he sending his Health Secretary out to talk to every knobhead with a camera and mic, about how desperate the situation is and how we might even need a lockdown before Christmas?

If you were right, it would be quite simple. He would have said at his press conference: “when I said our exit from restrictions was irreversible I meant it. Which is why I have asked my team to make any and all preparations deemed necessary to protect against this variant, within the constraint that we will not be returning to restrictions under any circumstance”.

He’s a lazy, thoughtless fuck and so is everyone else in charge. We’re in a trillion pounds of extra debt and two years on. For what? Where’s the surge capacity for infectious diseases? Why isn’t every vulnerable person in the country equipped with FFP3? Where’s the outreach to persuade unvaccinated minority groups? Where is the carrot and stick to price in the cost to the Nhs of being unvaccinated? What’s happening with the anti virals? Why are windows on trains still bloody locked? Where’s the action on ventilation in classrooms? Why is he still noncing on about washing hands rather than giving advice on sleep, nutrition and vit d3/zinc? Why does every household not now have an oximeter with clear instructions of how to use it and when to phone 111? Etc….

You are a loyal representative of a total bloody shambles of a government. And it’s only by a stroke of luck that omicron isn’t going to cause us a problem. A different variant and their crap management of the country would be condemning countless more to a needless death.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,704
    HYUFD said:

Liz Truss confirms she is no longer a republican 'part of our success is the constitutional monarchy that supports a free democracy ' as she shows more leg to Tory members

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1534760/Liz-Truss-BBC-Republican-Monarchy-Queen-Nick-Robinson-VN

"...as she shows more leg to Tory members"?!?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

On this I have to agree with you. It’s celebrating mediocrity..A gallant loser is still a loser.
    It's celebrating a great achievement.
    You are welcome to see losing as an achievement just as I am welcome to see it as celebrating failure.

I fail to see how,it is ‘’Trump talk’ though. Many sports coaches would say the same.
    It's Trumpy talk to boil everything down to winners and losers.

The key to sports improvement is to focus on process not outcome. Coaches will confirm.

And no you are not welcome to view anything other than being the best in the world at something as failure. It's a bullshit view from which you need to evolve.
  • Options
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.
    No, he’s right,

Do you think Sir Alex Ferguson would Have been happy had Man Utd finished second in the premier league rather than winning it ? Of course he wouldn’t he’d be driving his team to win.

We celebrate mediocrity and plucky losers in this country. We should want to be winners not satisfied with being a plucky loser.
    For a few weeks this summer, the England football team put a smile on my face and restored a bit of lost innocence to us all. That they lost in the end by a whisker is of little relevance to what they really achieved. Namely, letting a depressed nation build some positive shared memories of cheering, singing and dancing with friends, family and children.
    I mainly remember the twin humiliations of a multi billionaire football team “taking the knee” to respect an alliance of Marxist race-baiting bullshitters, and an England fan shoving a firework up his arse in Leicester Square at about 9am, on coke
    You must be fun at parties
  • Options
    :lol:

He will consider it. Until he makes a decision on, erm... Boxing Day.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

A photo showing precisely what people should be doing. Ok, there are people closer than 2m, but really this is a Boris-helpful snap!

- mostly closer than 2m
    - more than 2 at a social event outside (if it is a social event)
    - having spouse and child unnecessarily at a work meeting (if it is a work event)
    - either way breaching household bubbles multiply
    - general **** you to the public who were expected to follow the rules

Not sure what the rules may have been at the time, but this is roughly what we should be doing isn't it?

I'm absolutely sure that nobody has followed all the rules 100% of the time. On Christmas day last year I met with two people for a walk in the park for example.
    Quite.

But X has it off with a female while his wife is pregnant - meh.

Archbishop of Canterbury, on the other hand ...
    X has gone down very much in my view recently, and oddly the Archbishop has risen - he did a very good interview the other day. I strongly suspect the Archbishop is playing politics, but if so he's doing it at a level above the current Westminster bunfights.
    (wasn't really thinking of anyone in particular for X, to contrast with the A of C, actually!)

Oh, I hadn't noticed re Justin Cantuar. This one?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/17/archbishop-of-canterbury-disappointed-at-tory-lockdown-revelations
    Was a BBC thing as far as I recall. Doesn't matter though, the AoC has recently been sensible and straightforwards. This is of course 'at long last' given the history. In recent years he (they) have been far too political.
    AOC goes in cycles between evangelicals and generally liberal Anglo Catholics. Hence the liberal Runcie followed by the conservative evangelical Carey who was followed by the liberal Anglo Catholic Rowan Williams who was followed by the current incumbent the evangelical Welby.

Stephen Cottrell, the more high Church, pro Parish Archbishop of York is a good bet for next Archbishop of Canterbury therefore
    I was confused as to why Alexandria Ocasio Cortez 'goes in cycles.'

Then I realised you didn't mean *that* AOC.
    Which one do you feel looks better in a dress?

Note: yours truly STRONGLY defends right of both AOCs to wear whatever in conducting their official duties!

• Options
    edited December 2021

I am left speechless

Given how the system is set up, I doubt they will have managed that to effect things by that much.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I am told that this man having wine and cheese with the PM is Martin Reynolds, Boris Johnson’s Principal Private Secretary.

Mr Reynolds appears to be assisting with the investigation into parties in Downing Street last year. He emailed staff about it on Monday.

Indeed, a total non story pushed by leftwingers. Most of us had socials in our garden last spring and summer and most of those in the photo in the No 10 garden with the PM and Carrie were civil servants working there anyway
    It was against the rules to have socials in gardens. Most of us occasionally had a quick chat at a distance on someone’s doorstep while dropping off food or some other pretext and that was it for social life. I remember how exciting it was when it changed in June(?) to be permissible to sit in someone else’s garden and see people you hasn’t seen for 3 months.

Will you please stop using the phrase "last" and specify the actual fucking year?
    HYUFD, why are you defending this crap? Despite it being abundantly clear the government want to implement another lockdown, your personal red line. And the only thing from stopping them are these photos of the Prime Minister taking the piss out of all of us.
    Then why is he sending his Health Secretary out to talk to every knobhead with a camera and mic, about how desperate the situation is and how we might even need a lockdown before Christmas?

If you were right, it would be quite simple. He would have said at his press conference: “when I said our exit from restrictions was irreversible I meant it. Which is why I have asked my team to make any and all preparations deemed necessary to protect against this variant, within the constraint that we will not be returning to restrictions under any circumstance”.

He’s a lazy, thoughtless fuck and so is everyone else in charge. We’re in a trillion pounds of extra debt and two years on. For what? Where’s the surge capacity for infectious diseases? Why isn’t every vulnerable person in the country equipped with FFP3? Where’s the outreach to persuade unvaccinated minority groups? Where is the carrot and stick to price in the cost to the Nhs of being unvaccinated? What’s happening with the anti virals? Why are windows on trains still bloody locked? Where’s the action on ventilation in classrooms? Why is he still noncing on about washing hands rather than giving advice on sleep, nutrition and vit d3/zinc? Why does every household not now have an oximeter with clear instructions of how to use it and when to phone 111? Etc….

You are a loyal representative of a total bloody shambles of a government. And it’s only by a stroke of luck that omicron isn’t going to cause us a problem. A different variant and their crap management of the country would be condemning countless more to a needless death.
    Javid and Gove are the only Cabinet members in favour of more restrictions.

The UK now has more vaccinated with boosters against Omicron than most western nations under this government
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    MattW said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The Guardian is often not much more nuanced than the Telegraph these days. I think part of it is its supporters' funding model, which makes it much more likely to preach to the choir. They still have some excellent opinion columnists, like Polly Toynbee, George Monbiot, Rafael Behr, John Harris and others, but daily news and culture coverage is on a somewhat downward, very outspokenly opinionated slope.

The vast majority of Guardian readers are Labour or LD voters as the vast majority of Telegraph readers are Conservative voters. The Times is the swing paper of the broadsheets and generally the most centrist.

If any paper switches from backing Boris in 2019 to backing Starmer next time it would likely be the Times
    I get the Times and I sense it is having a think about that.
    As a paper delivered? I'm sort of thinking that I need to do that (not specific to the Times)
    They still have some excellent opinion columnists, like Polly Toynbee, George Monbiot..

Dear God. Speechless.

Polly Toynbee is perhaps more responsible for wrecking the Guardian brand, such as it was, than any other single individual. Imo.
    Indeed. Probably the only articles on there I would never bother with.
  • Options

:lol:

He will consider it. Until he makes a decision on, erm... Boxing Day.

The recall of parliament this week must be a possibility
  • Options
    That says Boris favours a light touch and only guidance not regulation on households mixing this Christmas
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    ydoethur said:

I am left speechless

If that is true, surely there must be some waY of prosecuting them, even if it's only wasting government time.
    You need both a nhs number and their date of birth. I really can’t imagine that many people are doing it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Sunak's trip seems to be getting a bit murkier. No published itinerary, no listing of government business.

Alistair said:

Sunak's trip seems to be getting a bit murkier. No published itinerary, no listing of government business.

Like I said a while back it was likely a holiday with a ‘meeting’ hurriedly arranged when the UK media started showing some interest in it.
    There is no foreign travel ban at present anyway as long as you are vaccinated and test negative
    I don't think anyone is saying he broke the rules. But there's a cognitive discrepancy - if it was a family holiday, it's seen as insensitive at a time when small businesses were screaming for answers; if it was a business trip too urgent to delay, then what was it about? The official line seems to be that it was a business trip during which he took the opportunity to look up some family, but that leaves both aspects open.

My guess is that he arranged it a while back and thought how nice, we can conbine with family, and then when the crisis intensified he didn't have the antennae to think "Um, how will this look?" The fact that he hastily cur it short and hurried home suggests a belated recognition of that.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

A photo showing precisely what people should be doing. Ok, there are people closer than 2m, but really this is a Boris-helpful snap!

- mostly closer than 2m
    - more than 2 at a social event outside (if it is a social event)
    - having spouse and child unnecessarily at a work meeting (if it is a work event)
    - either way breaching household bubbles multiply
    - general **** you to the public who were expected to follow the rules

Not sure what the rules may have been at the time, but this is roughly what we should be doing isn't it?

I'm absolutely sure that nobody has followed all the rules 100% of the time. On Christmas day last year I met with two people for a walk in the park for example.
    Quite.

But X has it off with a female while his wife is pregnant - meh.

Archbishop of Canterbury, on the other hand ...
    X has gone down very much in my view recently, and oddly the Archbishop has risen - he did a very good interview the other day. I strongly suspect the Archbishop is playing politics, but if so he's doing it at a level above the current Westminster bunfights.
    (wasn't really thinking of anyone in particular for X, to contrast with the A of C, actually!)

Oh, I hadn't noticed re Justin Cantuar. This one?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/17/archbishop-of-canterbury-disappointed-at-tory-lockdown-revelations
    Was a BBC thing as far as I recall. Doesn't matter though, the AoC has recently been sensible and straightforwards. This is of course 'at long last' given the history. In recent years he (they) have been far too political.
    AOC goes in cycles between evangelicals and generally liberal Anglo Catholics. Hence the liberal Runcie followed by the conservative evangelical Carey who was followed by the liberal Anglo Catholic Rowan Williams who was followed by the current incumbent the evangelical Welby.

Stephen Cottrell, the more high Church, pro Parish Archbishop of York is a good bet for next Archbishop of Canterbury therefore
    I was confused as to why Alexandria Ocasio Cortez 'goes in cycles.'

Then I realised you didn't mean *that* AOC.
    Which one do you feel looks better in a dress?

Note: yours truly STRONGLY defends right of both AOCs to wear whatever in conducting their official duties!

I mitre guessed you would take that view.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

And hope you too are well @tlg86

CHB - how are you? You posted quite alarmingly some weeks ago. Clearly most of us know little of you directly but many of us value your thoughts and comradeship (in a strictly non-Labour sense).

You're back, and that's great. You've clearly set yourself a few rules though. (I did that many years ago too - just decided it was easier to be nice to people rather than nasty).

Anyway, given you shared a very low moment I'd not be too shy about the better moments. I think you have more friends than you imagine.

Thank you for your kind words @Omnium, you have made my day :):)
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

Pro_Rata said:

On today's COVID case numbers.

Are they having trouble turning around tests? The number seems a little low considering we're in the phase when Omicron growth is increasingly the becoming the dominant signal over and above any dilution by Delta.

Taking the by report date numbers, today's is no higher relative to last Sunday than was Thursday vs last Thursday. The multiplier should be higher.

That doesn't make sense yet even for a rapid wave - even like for like with Gauteng. And any deceleration of case increases in London should be countered by acceleration elsewhere.

The rate of acceleration is such that reporting date wobbles should be pretty well ironed out, even steamrollered.

It's Sunday. While the weekend effect is not as pronounced as for deaths, there is one.

It is Omicron that is growing, not Delta. Hopefully the figures show that Delta is becoming out-competed, as in South Africa.

Also it seems that positive tests ate only a small proportion of the actual infections, which will introduce random effects.
    I'm comparing Sunday with last Sunday to account for weekend effects.

Sunday is 69% above last Sunday, Thursday was 75% above last Thursday.

Nationally, I'd expect that % increase number to be getting bigger fairly consistently as low growing Delta is expunged from relevance.

And the filling in of numbers by sample date does seem to backing up a bit more than usual, even for the weekend.

I think Alastair's comment on Scotland's backlog may be becoming the case in England too.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

That says Boris favours a light touch and only guidance not regulation on households mixing this Christmas
    Until a couple of days ago there was going to be nothing, just Plan B and vaccine passports....now very quickly its a discussions over what restrictions / guidance for Christmas, let alone after or in the New Year.
  • Options
    Talk of AOC (the one with the funny hat) and the ying/yang of Anglican politics, makes me wonder this:

>> Does HYUFD thinks that the Rev. Henry Sacheverell was a true Tory?

Of course, these days true Toryism may NOT be what it once was.
  • Options
    It sounds like Whitty and Vallance are absolutely the drivers for more lockdown from that Telegraph report

IF - and this is a huge IF - it turns out their advice is ignored, and the nation survives, and there aren’t “6,000 deaths a day” or whatever bollox they are predicting, then they must be driven from public life, and forced to live in Wick, in Scotland.

There must be a price to pay for being SOOOOOO wrong. Seriously. If the boffins want to run the place, they must accept there is a cost to being a fucking idiot and getting it all wrong

That is: IF they are wrong
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

I am left speechless

You need both a nhs number and their date of birth. I really can’t imagine that many people are doing it.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/19/anti-vaxxers-block-book-appointments-stop-people-getting-life/
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

The UK now has more vaccinated with boosters against Omicron than most western nations under this government
    The boosters are not specific to Omicron so your second sentence is pointless.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited December 2021
    How is Track and Trace or whatever it's called handling/coping with this "Omicron surge"?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

On this I have to agree with you. It’s celebrating mediocrity..A gallant loser is still a loser.
    You are welcome to see losing as an achievement just as I am welcome to see it as celebrating failure.

I fail to see how,it is ‘’Trump talk’ though. Many sports coaches would say the same.

The key to sports improvement is to focus on process not outcome. Coaches will confirm.

And no you are not welcome to view anything other than being the best in the world at something as failure. It's a bullshit view from which you need to evolve.
    No, it’s nothing to do with trump or being Trumpian. You’re just making an absurd comment for effect. You want to celebrate Mediocrity knock yourself out, I’d rather celebrate winning something.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Outsourcing vaccine procurement to the private sector was a great move. The advantage against other countries has been eroded because Hancock was too busy getting his balls tickled to push the JCVI on boosters earlier. And since then a totally complacent approach by a government more preoccupied with its own sleaze.

On every other measure in this pandemic it’s a tale of total incompetence. Just for a moment consider where we’d be if a third dose didn’t provide useful protection against this variant? Why haven’t we done all the other things in my list? Why haven’t we been doing them anyway?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.
    Yeah, kicking a football vs campaigning about school meals. ABSOLUTELY EQUALLY valid ways of prepping for a football match, do you hear me?
    Team prepped well, I think. Much better than some of the previous shambles.
  • Options
    Big win for Boric in Chile, 55.2% with 69% counted, all the networks have called it for him, Kast has conceded
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

How is Track and Trace or whatever it's called handling/coping with this "Omicron surge"?

Good question? have they given up?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

It sounds like Whitty and Vallance are absolutely the drivers for more lockdown from that Telegraph report

IF - and this is a huge IF - it turns out their advice is ignored, and the nation survives, and there aren’t “6,000 deaths a day” or whatever bollox they are predicting, then they must be driven from public life, and forced to live in Wick, in Scotland.

There must be a price to pay for being SOOOOOO wrong. Seriously. If the boffins want to run the place, they must accept there is a cost to being a fucking idiot and getting it all wrong

Clearly Boris is trying to find a fudge, but the cases / hospitalisations / deaths will rise (that's all baked in) and the media today has been wall to wall we need restrictions. He will eventually be forced to do something. I think we are going to get a repeat of the Sturgeon, please limit your mixing at Christmas.

And then of course that won't actually have much effect and they will go for proper restrictions.
  • Options
    Leon said:

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there
  • Options
    MattW said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The Guardian is often not much more nuanced than the Telegraph these days. I think part of it is its supporters' funding model, which makes it much more likely to preach to the choir. They still have some excellent opinion columnists, like Polly Toynbee, George Monbiot, Rafael Behr, John Harris and others, but daily news and culture coverage is on a somewhat downward, very outspokenly opinionated slope.

The vast majority of Guardian readers are Labour or LD voters as the vast majority of Telegraph readers are Conservative voters. The Times is the swing paper of the broadsheets and generally the most centrist.

If any paper switches from backing Boris in 2019 to backing Starmer next time it would likely be the Times
    As a paper delivered? I'm sort of thinking that I need to do that (not specific to the Times)
    They still have some excellent opinion columnists, like Polly Toynbee, George Monbiot..

Dear God. Speechless.

Polly Toynbee is perhaps more responsible for wrecking the Guardian brand, such as it was, than any other single individual. Imo.
    She’s terrible but Monbiot isn’t much better.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

I am pretty sure they laid most of them off didn't they?

It was always a nonsense idea, as some of us said at the time. The only way you can trace people once you get past a few cases is the Chinese / South Korean / Israeli way i.e. spying on everybody.
  • Options

I am left speechless

Send in the infected to give the anti-vaxxers a big hug.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Like I said a while back it was likely a holiday with a ‘meeting’ hurriedly arranged when the UK media started showing some interest in it.
    There is no foreign travel ban at present anyway as long as you are vaccinated and test negative
    I don't think anyone is saying he broke the rules. But there's a cognitive discrepancy - if it was a family holiday, it's seen as insensitive at a time when small businesses were screaming for answers; if it was a business trip too urgent to delay, then what was it about? The official line seems to be that it was a business trip during which he took the opportunity to look up some family, but that leaves both aspects open.

My guess is that he arranged it a while back and thought how nice, we can conbine with family, and then when the crisis intensified he didn't have the antennae to think "Um, how will this look?" The fact that he hastily cur it short and hurried home suggests a belated recognition of that.
    There is no lockdown for small business either and we can all still go on family holidays if negative tested and vaccinated (just not now to France and Germany but certainly to the US)
  • Options

Leon said:

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there
    I like Wick! Especially Pulteneytown.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

How has Raheem Sterling not won SPOTY?

Let's remember all his achievements in 2021:

Played for Citeh and England (ust like last year and next year)
    er
    that's it

The whole SPotY shortlist was daft. As you say, Raheem Sterling was not England's top scorer at Euro 2020 and nor did he feed any starving schoolchildren. SPotY was a strangely all-English affair, and even in a record Olympics year, the BBC's choice of Olympians did not extend past the two also known for appearing on television shows.
    Lewis got robbed of the WDC and was therefore dropped from the shortlist. Left them with an all white shortlist. Raheem drafted in. That could have been how it went.
    Raducanu isn't white?
    Don't get the question. What do you mean?
    Your original post implied that Raducanu is white. I’d say she is mixed race.
    Ah ok. Yes, she is. But I was more thinking how the panel choosing the shortlist would view it. Could be nonsense what I said. Not sure.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The normal 'cost' is a promotion and a MBE / knighthood / place in the Lords.
  • Options
    Leon said:

You make an interesting point. There appears to be no political or career down side to making model-driven predictions that unless we lockdown yesterday then the NHS will collapse and being utterly wrong. There is an obvious down side to saying it will be ok and then turning on the news to find every hospital car park has dead people in cardboard coffins stacked up.

• Options
    edited December 2021

Talk of AOC (the one with the funny hat) and the ying/yang of Anglican politics, makes me wonder this:

Sachavarell was basically a high Church conservative Anglo Catholic Anglican Tory, though now most high Church Anglicans are more liberal with evangelicals more conservative. Anglo Catholics are still often conservative though
  • Options

Leon said:

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there

Clearly you haven’t been?

ON OUR WICK ‘We escaped Taliban but hated life in depressing Wick – please don’t send us back to Scotland’, say Afghan refugees
    Graham Mann
    9:00, 9 Dec 2021Updated: 9:41, 9 Dec 2021

AN Afghan refugee who revealed he’d rather risk being beheaded by the Taliban than stay any longer in Wick, Scotland, has fled to London, we can reveal.

https://twitter.com/no431onthelist/status/1471339827882831876?s=21
  • Options

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m
    TIMES: ⁦
    @RishiSunak
    ⁩ resists new Covid restrictions before Christmas #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    Truss once supported a republic? And now Truss is a strong supporter of monarchy?

A conveniently adjustable Truss for quick if temporary support.
  • Options
    Taz said:

MattW said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Dear God. Speechless.

She’s terrible but Monbiot isn’t much better.
    Monbiot does at least do some original journalism and sometimes comes up with new angles or ways of looking at things. You don’t have to agree with him to find some of his writing interesting. Whereas Toynbee is just opinionated rant; the left wing equivalent of many Mail columnists.
  • Options
    Spilt at the very top of government?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

er
    that's it

The whole SPotY shortlist was daft. As you say, Raheem Sterling was not England's top scorer at Euro 2020 and nor did he feed any starving schoolchildren. SPotY was a strangely all-English affair, and even in a record Olympics year, the BBC's choice of Olympians did not extend past the two also known for appearing on television shows.
    Lewis got robbed of the WDC and was therefore dropped from the shortlist. Left them with an all white shortlist. Raheem drafted in. That could have been how it went.
    Raducanu isn't white?
    You said Lewis not being in the shortlist left them with an all white one, but Raducanu isn't white so how can that be true.
    Ok get you.
  • Options
    Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

No, it’s nothing to do with trump or being Trumpian. You’re just making an absurd comment for effect. You want to celebrate Mediocrity knock yourself out, I’d rather celebrate winning something.
    Reaching our first footy final since 1966 is mediocrity? Seriously?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

er
    that's it

Raducanu isn't white?
    Your original post implied that Raducanu is white. I’d say she is mixed race.
    Ah ok. Yes, she is. But I was more thinking how the panel choosing the shortlist would view it. Could be nonsense what I said. Not sure.
    Sounds suspiciously like you were saying Raducanu wasn’t dark enough for your woke quota. By the way Tyson Fury is a gypsy, perhaps the most racially maligned group in the country. But I guess he doesn’t count either.
  • Options

I am pretty sure they laid most of them off didn't they?

It was always a nonsense idea, as some of us said at the time. The only way you can trace people once you get past a few cases is the Chinese / South Korean / Israeli way i.e. spying on everybody.
    Oh, I'm not saying T&T would work now (if it ever did much) - just that, if we are still nominally trying to track and trace close contacts of people testing positive, the stats to keep up with that must be interesting at this level of positives.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there
    I like Wick! Especially Pulteneytown.
    I was once in a fishing boat in the North Sea when a fierce storm hit us and we changed course and made it to the shelter of Wick harbour. It was a welcome haven
  • Options

Leon said:

You make an interesting point. There appears to be no political or career down side to making model-driven predictions that unless we lockdown yesterday then the NHS will collapse and being utterly wrong. There is an obvious down side to saying it will be ok and then turning on the news to find every hospital car park has dead people in cardboard coffins stacked up.

Yes. With the power, must come responsibility. Otherwise we have signed ourselves over - AGAIN - to an unelected elite who can do whatever shite they like and there is no downside
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there

ON OUR WICK ‘We escaped Taliban but hated life in depressing Wick – please don’t send us back to Scotland’, say Afghan refugees
    Graham Mann

AN Afghan refugee who revealed he’d rather risk being beheaded by the Taliban than stay any longer in Wick, Scotland, has fled to London, we can reveal.

Nothing wrong with Wick in that piece other than a lack of Afghani speakers. Which is unsurprising.
  • Options
    Taz said:

I am left speechless

By denying people access to potentially life-saving treatment?
  • Options

They ring random telephone numbers to tell people that it is so infectious they probably already have it?
  • Options
    Has today's South African data been mentioned ?

15,465 new case and 3 new death compared with 37,875 and 21 a week ago.

Now maybe there's some data processing explanation but that doesn't look like a doubling every three days.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there

Graham Mann

Not only have I been many times, my wife stayed there during the war, and we have family living there
  • Options

Ooooof
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sachavarell was basically a conservative Anglo Catholic Anglican Tory
    In his heyday he was the Poster Boy of the Tory Party. "Church in danger!"
  • Options
    edited December 2021

They ring random telephone numbers to tell people that it is so infectious they probably already have it?
    It probably transmits itself via phone lines anyway, or something. Like Stephen King's rip-off-of-his-own-The-Stand-but-with-mobile-phones novel "Cell".
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.

Er... who posted this?...

"All praise the Knee Takers. No, really. Southgate has made me look a fool, and I couldn't be happier

Great team, great manager, great sensation"
  • Options

Ooooof

That was before the Will of the People(TM).
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

On today's COVID case numbers.

Are they having trouble turning around tests? The number seems a little low considering we're in the phase when Omicron growth is increasingly the becoming the dominant signal over and above any dilution by Delta.

Taking the by report date numbers, today's is no higher relative to last Sunday than was Thursday vs last Thursday. The multiplier should be higher.

That doesn't make sense yet even for a rapid wave - even like for like with Gauteng. And any deceleration of case increases in London should be countered by acceleration elsewhere.

The rate of acceleration is such that reporting date wobbles should be pretty well ironed out, even steamrollered.

It's Sunday. While the weekend effect is not as pronounced as for deaths, there is one.

It is Omicron that is growing, not Delta. Hopefully the figures show that Delta is becoming out-competed, as in South Africa.

Also it seems that positive tests ate only a small proportion of the actual infections, which will introduce random effects.
    I'm comparing Sunday with last Sunday to account for weekend effects.

Sunday is 69% above last Sunday, Thursday was 75% above last Thursday.

Nationally, I'd expect that % increase number to be getting bigger fairly consistently as low growing Delta is expunged from relevance.

And the filling in of numbers by sample date does seem to backing up a bit more than usual, even for the weekend.

I think Alastair's comment on Scotland's backlog may be becoming the case in England too.
    A huge amount of the recorded 'increase in cases' is simply an increase in the number of tests, the positivity rate has only bugged a little. which is not the same as saying there is no underlying increase in cases. but the increase in tests which started 2 weeks ago, has now been stable at 1.6 million for the last 3 days, so a smaller increase in cases than when the number of testes was rising sharply.
  • Options
    Is @Philip_Thompson appalled that a remainer could be in charge of Brexit after May?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Just out of curiosity, I wondered if you had any photos of your garden socials during lockdown that you'd like to share with the Epping Police all your friends on PB?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Seven deaths with omicron are reported in UK. How many were vaccinated?

Spilt at the very top of government?

Milk? Did they lose the cream?

• Options
    RobD said:

Ooooof

Pretty cheap shot this, she supported remain but accepted the will of the people.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there

Graham Mann

Nothing wrong with Wick in that piece other than a lack of Afghani speakers. Which is unsurprising.

Mate, I’ve been to Wick. I went this “summer”, when it was perpetually overcast like a kind of Satanic torture.

Now, I love lots of Scotland, and I can even tolerate the climate, for a while. I am glad this beautiful land is part of Britain

But, Jesus, Wick. Don’t be an eejit. It is horrific. And the buildings are so incredibly ugly and dark. Wick, like other towns in Scotland, is one of the most depressing corners of this green earth. Right up there with the worst parts of the ex Soviet Union, or northern Peru, or Romania in winter. Hideous
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ooooof

Liz Truss talking to Eddie Mair on 2016 referendum

Truss “I don’t think people have changed their minds”

Mair “You have”

Truss “That’s true”
  • Options
    Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

Trump talk.😂

We are talking professional sports here. We are celebrating mediocrity.
    Ok pro sports then.

I lose a tight Wimbledon final. First Brit to make one in 75 years.

I successfully defend my Welsh Open snooker title.

• Options

Is @Philip_Thompson appalled that a remainer could be in charge of Brexit after May?

What is happening in May ?
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.

"All praise the Knee Takers. No, really. Southgate has made me look a fool, and I couldn't be happier

Don’t get the issue with the knee taking. They made It clear taking the knee was an anti racism gesture not a political,one. We should just have got behind them and supported it.
  • Options

Has today's South African data been mentioned ?

15,465 new case and 3 new death compared with 37,875 and 21 a week ago.

Now maybe there's some data processing explanation but that doesn't look like a doubling every three days.

It is this kind of real world data that could mess up pristine mathematical models prediction armageddon in the UK and so I am sticking my fingers in my ears.
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.

Some twat with a different name, is my best guess
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Leave Wick the fuck alone.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880

In 5 months time?
  • Options

Truss once supported a republic? And now Truss is a strong supporter of monarchy?

A conveniently adjustable Truss for quick if temporary support.

Eddie: “What about people who have changed their minds on Brexit?”

Liz Truss: “I don’t think people have changed their minds”

Eddie: “You have.”

Liz Truss: “I have, that's true…”
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    On the pic in the header

Can Dom let us know what the 4-d chess positioning looks like for Truss being handed the chalice of Lord Frost's old role?

I don't know.

I have concerns about whether she will be sufficiently thorough on detail, and whether she will have the right advisers in place.

But OTOH it was Lord thing who missed a lot of detail on the Brexit deal. Example: did not enforce access to EU markets for produce from UK dependencies. Caused major issues for the Falklands fishing industry, for example, which mainly exports to Iberia.

Truss did not have the appropriate advisory committees appointed before she started making Trade arrangements that would be better with her advice. Against that, most industry bodies are spending their time demanding to dangle off more government money than being enterprising.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Ooooof

Liz Truss talking to Eddie Mair on 2016 referendum

Truss “I don’t think people have changed their minds”

Mair “You have”

Truss “That’s true”
    But most people haven't, as polls have shown.
  • Options
    Taz said:

RobD said:

Ooooof

Pretty cheap shot this, she supported remain but accepted the will of the people.
    Wonder what her daughters think.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there

Graham Mann

Not only have I been many times, my wife stayed there during the war, and we have family living there
    I like Wick. Great train journey
  • Options
    RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

Are they breaking the law ?

I don’t agree with them or support them But if they are legally protesting then fine,
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sachavarell was basically a conservative Anglo Catholic Anglican Tory
    In his heyday he was the Poster Boy of the Tory Party. "Church in danger!"
    Nowadays though the evangelicals tend to be more conservative and high church Anglicans like Secheverell more liberal. Albeit there are still a number of conservative Anglo Catholic Anglicans
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.

Some twat with a different name, is my best guess
    No, you were still @Leon at the time.

But to be fair, that's football - from ecstacy to despair in one game. We all felt it.
  • Options
    Excellent results in Chile
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

I am left speechless

Is this why they appear to have reset the booking system ?
    My son has been trying to book a booster for some time, without success. All of a sudden he logged on today and found a dozen clear appointment times for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,713
    How long before crossover with Truss and Sunak?

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.160663234
  • Options
    Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

Are they breaking the law ?

I don’t agree with them or support them But if they are legally protesting then fine,
    Probably a whole number of regulations relating to providing false information.
  • Options
    Oh FFS.

Telegraph reporting that Johnson is considering an 8pm curfew for hospitality trade.

Bonkers on stilts with bells on.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there

Graham Mann

I mean, this is PB contrarianism taken to the ultimate level. By any metric Wick is a hideous and depressing place to live. Why bother disputing this?

That Afghan guy would literally rather risk being beheaded in Kabul than live in Wick, Scotland. Doesn’t that kind of say something? To even the deafest of PB-ears?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there

Graham Mann

Still haven't been north of Inverness yet! Planned to do so back in summer 2020 :(
  • Options

Excellent results in Chile

Do we have an exit poll? or real results? who is winning?
This discussion has been closed.