Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This May 2020 pic from Number 10 will add to the pressure on BJ – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Is @Philip_Thompson appalled that a remainer could be in charge of Brexit after May?

What is happening in May ?
    Mrs May, rather than the month of May, I imagine. The memory hole of public life is brutal.

Now, it's possible that the Foreign Secretary can untie the knot that has baffled her predecessors.

But if she can't, that's presumably the end of her career.

God old Boris- when it comes to power games, he's still got it.
  • Options

Oh FFS.

Telegraph reporting that Johnson is considering an 8pm curfew for hospitality trade.

Bonkers on stilts with bells on.

Didn't you hear, the O likes to go to bed early.....
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Ooooof

That was before the Will of the People(TM).
    Liz Truss talking to Eddie Mair on 2016 referendum

Truss “I don’t think people have changed their minds”

Mair “You have”

Truss “That’s true”
    But most people haven't, as polls have shown.
    But plenty have, as polls have shown.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I am told that this man having wine and cheese with the PM is Martin Reynolds, Boris Johnson’s Principal Private Secretary.

Mr Reynolds appears to be assisting with the investigation into parties in Downing Street last year. He emailed staff about it on Monday.

https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1472669740397178884/photo/1

Fuck right off. No wonder Philip is so desperate to say "nothing to see here"
    I want Boris out, but this is just pathetic.

"Woman who lives in flat is in her own garden, news at 11"

Fuck off. Get some serious shit, there's enough of it going around.
    Indeed, a total non story pushed by leftwingers. Most of us had socials in our garden last spring and summer and most of those in the photo in the No 10 garden with the PM and Carrie were civil servants working there anyway
    Just out of curiosity, I wondered if you had any photos of your garden socials during lockdown that you'd like to share with the Epping Police all your friends on PB?
    It was legal to meet others outside in May 2020 and I did, though no garden parties. The photo of course was of the PM and civil servants all at No 10 for work outside
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,047
    RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Telegraph reporting anti vaxxers block booked appointments to stop people getting vaccinated

Now that is something to really make one's blood boil

I am left speechless

We are a democracy and they have a right to Protest peacefully
    By denying people access to potentially life-saving treatment?
    Are they breaking the law ?

I don’t agree with them or support them But if they are legally protesting then fine,
    Probably a whole number of regulations relating to providing false information.
    ‘Probably’ so you don’t know.
  • Options

Oh FFS.

Telegraph reporting that Johnson is considering an 8pm curfew for hospitality trade.

That’s our New Year’s Eve meal screwed as we were due to eat at 7.45
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Sunak's trip seems to be getting a bit murkier. No published itinerary, no listing of government business.

Alistair said:

Sunak's trip seems to be getting a bit murkier. No published itinerary, no listing of government business.

Like I said a while back it was likely a holiday with a ‘meeting’ hurriedly arranged when the UK media started showing some interest in it.
    There is no foreign travel ban at present anyway as long as you are vaccinated and test negative
    I don't think anyone is saying he broke the rules. But there's a cognitive discrepancy - if it was a family holiday, it's seen as insensitive at a time when small businesses were screaming for answers; if it was a business trip too urgent to delay, then what was it about? The official line seems to be that it was a business trip during which he took the opportunity to look up some family, but that leaves both aspects open.

My guess is that he arranged it a while back and thought how nice, we can conbine with family, and then when the crisis intensified he didn't have the antennae to think "Um, how will this look?" The fact that he hastily cur it short and hurried home suggests a belated recognition of that.
    Its similar to Raab being in Crete when Afghanistan fell apart.

They don't seem to think of the imagery if things don't go to plan.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    TIMES: ⁦@RishiSunak resists new Covid restrictions before Christmas

The narrative has certainly changed, now its back to saving Christmas.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    edited December 2021
    BigRich said:

Excellent results in Chile

Do we have an exit poll? or real results? who is winning?
    It's over, Boric won.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,684
    “Is Wick the UK's most dismal town?”

https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/is-wick-the-uks-most-dismal-town-106734/

When you are being dissed by the pinnacle of urbanism that is John O Groats, you have a problem
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

England men’s football team get team of the year.

Pathetic. They won **** all, and poor Southgate had to acknowledge that.

Daley and Lee should have won that.

The most ridiculous opinion aired on here for quite some time. Bravo.
    Why ?

A gallant loser is still a loser.
    That's stupid Trump talk.

I go down in a 5 set thriller in the Wimbledon final.

I come 1st in the Hampstead annual crepe tossing contest.

Which is the greater achievement?
    Trump talk.😂

We are talking professional sports here. We are celebrating mediocrity.
    Ok pro sports then.

I lose a tight Wimbledon final. First Brit to make one in 75 years.

I successfully defend my Welsh Open snooker title.

Winning the snooker two years in a row.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,240
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It sounds like Whitty and Vallance are absolutely the drivers for more lockdown from that Telegraph report

IF - and this is a huge IF - it turns out their advice is ignored, and the nation survives, and there aren’t “6,000 deaths a day” or whatever bollox they are predicting, then they must be driven from public life, and forced to live in Wick, in Scotland.

There must be a price to pay for being SOOOOOO wrong. Seriously. If the boffins want to run the place, they must accept there is a cost to being a fucking idiot and getting it all wrong

That is: IF they are wrong

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there

Clearly you haven’t been?

ON OUR WICK ‘We escaped Taliban but hated life in depressing Wick – please don’t send us back to Scotland’, say Afghan refugees
    Graham Mann
    9:00, 9 Dec 2021Updated: 9:41, 9 Dec 2021

AN Afghan refugee who revealed he’d rather risk being beheaded by the Taliban than stay any longer in Wick, Scotland, has fled to London, we can reveal.

https://twitter.com/no431onthelist/status/1471339827882831876?s=21
    Not only have I been many times, my wife stayed there during the war, and we have family living there
    I like Wick. Great train journey
    I mean, this is PB contrarianism taken to the ultimate level. By any metric Wick is a hideous and depressing place to live. Why bother disputing this?

That Afghan guy would literally rather risk being beheaded in Kabul than live in Wick, Scotland. Doesn’t that kind of say something? To even the deafest of PB-ears?
    Because members of my family have lived there happily for generations

It is their home town and they are proud of it
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It sounds like Whitty and Vallance are absolutely the drivers for more lockdown from that Telegraph report

IF - and this is a huge IF - it turns out their advice is ignored, and the nation survives, and there aren’t “6,000 deaths a day” or whatever bollox they are predicting, then they must be driven from public life, and forced to live in Wick, in Scotland.

There must be a price to pay for being SOOOOOO wrong. Seriously. If the boffins want to run the place, they must accept there is a cost to being a fucking idiot and getting it all wrong

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there

ON OUR WICK ‘We escaped Taliban but hated life in depressing Wick – please don’t send us back to Scotland’, say Afghan refugees
    Graham Mann

AN Afghan refugee who revealed he’d rather risk being beheaded by the Taliban than stay any longer in Wick, Scotland, has fled to London, we can reveal.

Not only have I been many times, my wife stayed there during the war, and we have family living there
    I mean, this is PB contrarianism taken to the ultimate level. By any metric Wick is a hideous and depressing place to live. Why bother disputing this?

That Afghan guy would literally rather risk being beheaded in Kabul than live in Wick, Scotland. Doesn’t that kind of say something? To even the deafest of PB-ears?
    It says he has a penchant for hyperbole, if nothing else.
  • Options

Is @Philip_Thompson appalled that a remainer could be in charge of Brexit after May?

Conservative Party leadership election is my guess.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,285
    edited December 2021

Truss once supported a republic? And now Truss is a strong supporter of monarchy?

A conveniently adjustable Truss for quick if temporary support.

A potential leader after HYUFD’s own heart.

Though inexplicably he’s backing Sunak.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,367
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Telegraph reporting anti vaxxers block booked appointments to stop people getting vaccinated

I am left speechless

If that is true, surely there must be some waY of prosecuting them, even if it's only wasting government time.
    You need both a nhs number and their date of birth. I really can’t imagine that many people are doing it.
    Is this why they appear to have reset the booking system ?
    My son has been trying to book a booster for some time, without success. All of a sudden he logged on today and found a dozen clear appointment times for tomorrow.
    *Only If the claim about antivaxxers is true*, then it needs Insulate Britain type sanctions if it can be proved. The same sort of attack on infrastructure.
  • Options
    Leon said:

https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/is-wick-the-uks-most-dismal-town-106734/

When you are being dissed by the pinnacle of urbanism that is John O Groats, you have a problem

In the carry on movies I believe there was a Lord Hampton who resided there.
  • Options

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Ooooof

Mair “You have”

Truss “That’s true”
    The vast majority haven't though, which was my point.
  • Options
    I guess Javid is reading a little less Ann Rand than he used to.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,878
    Taz said:

Oh FFS.

What are we supposed to do between dinner and midnight mass? Freeze to death?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,567
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I am told that this man having wine and cheese with the PM is Martin Reynolds, Boris Johnson’s Principal Private Secretary.

Mr Reynolds appears to be assisting with the investigation into parties in Downing Street last year. He emailed staff about it on Monday.

Indeed, a total non story pushed by leftwingers. Most of us had socials in our garden last spring and summer and most of those in the photo in the No 10 garden with the PM and Carrie were civil servants working there anyway
    Just out of curiosity, I wondered if you had any photos of your garden socials during lockdown that you'd like to share with the Epping Police all your friends on PB?
    It was legal to meet others outside in May 2020 and I did, though no garden parties. The photo of course was of the PM and civil servants all at No 10 for work outside
    News to me that the CSC allowed the recruitment of very small babies, or that Mrs Johnson is a civil servant.

You said you had lots of garden parties at the same time as the PM did. But then you did muddle 2020 and 2021.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

I don’t agree with them or support them But if they are legally protesting then fine,
    Aren't we in the process of passing a Bill which criminalises protests which cause "annoyance"?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

It was against the rules to have socials in gardens. Most of us occasionally had a quick chat at a distance on someone’s doorstep while dropping off food or some other pretext and that was it for social life. I remember how exciting it was when it changed in June(?) to be permissible to sit in someone else’s garden and see people you hasn’t seen for 3 months.

Maybe you were breaking the rules too, but most people really weren’t.
    You could have socials in gardens last May even in limited numbers.

Plus those in the photo were at No 10 for government work purposes anyway
    Will you please stop using the phrase "last" and specify the actual fucking year?
    I went months at a time without seeing my family in 2020.
    HYUFD, why are you defending this crap? Despite it being abundantly clear the government want to implement another lockdown, your personal red line. And the only thing from stopping them are these photos of the Prime Minister taking the piss out of all of us.
    There is no evidence Boris wants another lockdown even if civil servants do
    Then why is he sending his Health Secretary out to talk to every knobhead with a camera and mic, about how desperate the situation is and how we might even need a lockdown before Christmas?

If you were right, it would be quite simple. He would have said at his press conference: “when I said our exit from restrictions was irreversible I meant it. Which is why I have asked my team to make any and all preparations deemed necessary to protect against this variant, within the constraint that we will not be returning to restrictions under any circumstance”.

He’s a lazy, thoughtless fuck and so is everyone else in charge. We’re in a trillion pounds of extra debt and two years on. For what? Where’s the surge capacity for infectious diseases? Why isn’t every vulnerable person in the country equipped with FFP3? Where’s the outreach to persuade unvaccinated minority groups? Where is the carrot and stick to price in the cost to the Nhs of being unvaccinated? What’s happening with the anti virals? Why are windows on trains still bloody locked? Where’s the action on ventilation in classrooms? Why is he still noncing on about washing hands rather than giving advice on sleep, nutrition and vit d3/zinc? Why does every household not now have an oximeter with clear instructions of how to use it and when to phone 111? Etc….

You are a loyal representative of a total bloody shambles of a government. And it’s only by a stroke of luck that omicron isn’t going to cause us a problem. A different variant and their crap management of the country would be condemning countless more to a needless death.
    Your examples are good ones.

But I'd say why doesn't anyone else think of these things and do something about them.

After all there's no shortage of people with big titles and big pay packets who should be capable of doing so.

Its no good relying on the man at the top if that man is famously weak on details.
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h
    Whatever the situation here, the data from SA is now pretty clear.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Oh FFS.

Watch the telly ?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Not as dismal as Camden!

(runs and hides)
  • Options
    INDEPENDENT: Tighter Covid rules could be in place by Christmas

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1472698196128374795?s=20
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    dixiedean said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

Aren't we in the process of passing a Bill which criminalises protests which cause "annoyance"?
    I believe we are. It’s not law yet though.
  • Options

Conservative Party leadership election is my guess.
    Maybe
  • Options
    Taz said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Oh FFS.

Watch the telly ?
    Nah, will be in town.

Maybe the church will let us in early. Room at the inn?

• Options
    edited December 2021

It seems Gove and Javid will do what civil servants and SAGE want and back more restrictions. The rest of the Cabinet led by Sunak, Truss and Rees Mogg and for now it looks like Boris too will ignore them and not impose another lockdown this Christmas
  • Options

That's an overreaction to Javid not ruling anything out.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Ooooof

Mair “You have”

Truss “That’s true”
    But Truss said “I don’t think people have changed their minds”. Some have, including her.

Anyway, I am not trying to re-open Brexit (it's done - move on); I am merely pointing out Truss's flexibility of opinion to suit her career.
  • Options

Oh FFS.

The utter imbecility of that is that it would increase congestion between 5pm and 8pm.
  • Options
    Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

Interesting that the bar for an acceptable protest is whether it is legal or not. Does morality not play a part at all?
  • Options

Sounds like a Cabinet war between Javid/Gove and Sunak/Truss

Go Team Sunak Truss
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    FF43 said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

They lost, pathetically. On penalties, again. Despite being the better team in terms of talent

England is the home of football, with the world’s greatest football league, and now an embarrassment of young footballing skill

We should be expecting to WIN tournaments - like Germany, France, Italy or Spain - not pitifully grateful for a silver medal

It’s this loser attitude that means we lose. When we ditch this attitude, we win. See various English/British teams in rugby, cricket, golf, Olympic sports etc
    On this I have to agree with you. It’s celebrating mediocrity..A gallant loser is still a loser.
    It's celebrating a great achievement.
    Not my flag but impressed by the England team, who came across as polite and thoughtful young men. A role model for older people, like those that post here

You might even say they had a bit of personality.
    Well fuck that, they aren't paid to be polite and thoughtful, they are meant to win footie matches.

Also note the unchallenged claim that if England had won it would have been a policing disaster what with the Quote fans unquote being a bunch of utter cocksuckers off their tits on overstrength lager and heavily cut coke. The beautiful game innit.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Oh FFS.

Watch the telly ?
    Nah, will be in town.

Maybe the church will let us in early. Room at the inn?

That’s a long four hours to kill.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    RobD said:

BigRich said:

Excellent results in Chile

Do we have an exit poll? or real results? who is winning?
    It's over, Boric won.
    :( Chily is going to be like a stepmom on Pornhub, so sad.
  • Options

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    2h
    SAGE modelling 6k deaths per day. This doesn't make sense. That's 180k in a month? More in the UK than in the entire crisis. Nothing like that has happened. Scientists/modellers are going to have to start interacting with the real world or public will not believe briefings.

===

It's bollx and they know it.

Did they claim it was going to be 6k sustained for a month? I don't think they did.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,816
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there

Graham Mann

Cheap beer in the Pub I stayed in

I suspect the refugee wouldn't fully appreciate the Real Ale.

Nothing better than Rail Ale and Real Ale
  • Options
    Leon said:

Go Team Sunak Truss
    When did Javid become captured by the medical modelling technocrats? He is supposed to be the Ann Rand ultra liberal freedom guy?
  • Options
    This tussle over Christmas is obviously expectation management for full lockdown from the 27th.

We're meant to be grateful for the delay.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

RobD said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Ooooof

Mair “You have”

Truss “That’s true”
    But Truss said “I don’t think people have changed their minds”. Some have, including her.

Anyway, I am not trying to re-open Brexit (it's done - move on); I am merely pointing out Truss's flexibility of opinion to suit her career.
    In general people have not changed their mind. If she said "I think people have changed their mind", that would mean she thinks there was a significant shift in opinion, which there hasn't been.

And honestly, it's no different to Starmer saying he accepts the referendum result.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    2h
    SAGE modelling 6k deaths per day. This doesn't make sense. That's 180k in a month? More in the UK than in the entire crisis. Nothing like that has happened. Scientists/modellers are going to have to start interacting with the real world or public will not believe briefings.

===

Iain Martin is either being stupid or disingenuous. Its the absolute upper limit of an estimate of a PEAK number i.e. even the bullshit modellers aren't saying 6k deaths a day for a month. They are saying their model says that the very highest level we will see on any one day with be 6k, that's a very different thing.

The fact the band is 600 to 6000 is the totally nonsense element. I might as well ask Brenda from Bristol what she thinks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It seems Gove and Javid will do what civil servants and SAGE want and back more restrictions The rest of the Cabinet led by Sunak, Truss and Rees Mogg and for now it looks like Boris too will ignore them and not impose another lockdown this Christmas
    Define lockdown. Would an 8pm hospitality curfew count, or will you be on here supporting that as soon as it is announced?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,285

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there

Graham Mann

It says he has a penchant for hyperbole, if nothing else.
    It is a story in the famously non hyperbolic Sun.
    What are the chances that was a direct quote ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

Interesting that the bar for an acceptable protest is whether it is legal or not. Does morality not play a part at all?
    The protesters believe they are morally in the right.
  • Options
    eek said:

The white house has the correct tone for the moment

Go Biden!!!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,925

Oh FFS.

The utter imbecility of that is that it would increase congestion between 5pm and 8pm.
    It reminds me of a solution suggested in Ireland. Given that it’s dark when we get up and dark when you leave, work on Indian time so that the 8pm closure is midnight for your body clock.
  • Options

Oh FFS.

And mean every true freeborn english man and woman would leave the pub at 8pm and go straight to a mate's house for a pissup on the sofa until 11pm.

These people have absolutely no idea how ordinary humans actually behave.

We are 2 years into this crisis and they still have no fecking idea what they are talking about.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Oh FFS.

Um, you are meant to fast before communion? Don't tell me let me guess, you didn't know that because you only do it once a year, as a fashion statement?
  • Options
    Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

I was asking what you think, not what these crazed lunatics think.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Nigelb said:

Truss once supported a republic? And now Truss is a strong supporter of monarchy?

Sunak has always been a constitutional monarchist and backed Leave in 2016 too. Truss simply had a Damascene conversion to both from being a former Remainer and republican
  • Options

Leon said:

Go Team Sunak Truss
    When did Javid become captured by the medical modelling technocrats? He is supposed to be the Ann Rand ultra liberal freedom guy?
    When he visibly shat himself about the implications of Omicron, when he was first told of it around the 26th November IIRC

He did it live on air on Sky, and that is what alerted me to this variant being a major problem. His eyes nearly boggled out of his big round head

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Eabhal said:

This tussle over Christmas is obviously expectation management for full lockdown from the 27th.

Better not - I’ve got ice hockey and a meal with uni friends in Glasgow on the 27th. 28th would be fine though
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

It was against the rules to have socials in gardens. Most of us occasionally had a quick chat at a distance on someone’s doorstep while dropping off food or some other pretext and that was it for social life. I remember how exciting it was when it changed in June(?) to be permissible to sit in someone else’s garden and see people you hasn’t seen for 3 months.

Will you please stop using the phrase "last" and specify the actual fucking year?
    HYUFD, why are you defending this crap? Despite it being abundantly clear the government want to implement another lockdown, your personal red line. And the only thing from stopping them are these photos of the Prime Minister taking the piss out of all of us.
    Then why is he sending his Health Secretary out to talk to every knobhead with a camera and mic, about how desperate the situation is and how we might even need a lockdown before Christmas?

If you were right, it would be quite simple. He would have said at his press conference: “when I said our exit from restrictions was irreversible I meant it. Which is why I have asked my team to make any and all preparations deemed necessary to protect against this variant, within the constraint that we will not be returning to restrictions under any circumstance”.

He’s a lazy, thoughtless fuck and so is everyone else in charge. We’re in a trillion pounds of extra debt and two years on. For what? Where’s the surge capacity for infectious diseases? Why isn’t every vulnerable person in the country equipped with FFP3? Where’s the outreach to persuade unvaccinated minority groups? Where is the carrot and stick to price in the cost to the Nhs of being unvaccinated? What’s happening with the anti virals? Why are windows on trains still bloody locked? Where’s the action on ventilation in classrooms? Why is he still noncing on about washing hands rather than giving advice on sleep, nutrition and vit d3/zinc? Why does every household not now have an oximeter with clear instructions of how to use it and when to phone 111? Etc….

You are a loyal representative of a total bloody shambles of a government. And it’s only by a stroke of luck that omicron isn’t going to cause us a problem. A different variant and their crap management of the country would be condemning countless more to a needless death.

But I'd say why doesn't anyone else think of these things and do something about them.

After all there's no shortage of people with big titles and big pay packets who should be capable of doing so.

Its no good relying on the man at the top if that man is famously weak on details.
    Because almost without exception he’s appointed incompetents. And it’s easier for these charlatans to engage in gesture politics like curfews and vaxports than thinking through practical solutions. And they get away with it because foot soldiers like HYUFD are tribalist and care little for making sure the right solutions are implemented.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Sunak has always been a monarchist and backed Leave in 2016 too. Truss is simply had a Damascene conversion to both from being a former Remainer and republican
    You voted REMAIN too, if memory serves.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

Can they be done for involuntary manslaughter?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Which has already been brought forward from the New Year is the space of a day.
  • Options
    Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

So did the Nazis and Communists!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

I’ve said I don’t agree with them. I’m double jabbed plus booster and think vaccines are our way out of this.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,032

Johnson defenestrated after some sub optimal council election results.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It seems Gove and Javid will do what civil servants and SAGE want and back more restrictions The rest of the Cabinet led by Sunak, Truss and Rees Mogg and for now it looks like Boris too will ignore them and not impose another lockdown this Christmas
    Define lockdown. Would an 8pm hospitality curfew count, or will you be on here supporting that as soon as it is announced?
    No, not if pubs can still serve indoors until 8pm
  • Options

Oh FFS.

And mean every true freeborn english man and woman would leave the pub at 8pm and go straight to a mate's house for a pissup on the sofa until 11pm.

These people have absolutely no idea how ordinary humans actually behave.

We are 2 years into this crisis and they still have no fecking idea what they are talking about.
    We are destined to repeat the same mistakes but didn’t we discover that exact flaw in July 2020.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,419
    Truss was a republican as a teenager. It's not a recent view.
  • Options

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

Godwins
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,072
    moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

How has Raheem Sterling not won SPOTY?

Let's remember all his achievements in 2021:

Played for Citeh and England (ust like last year and next year)
    er
    that's it

The whole SPotY shortlist was daft. As you say, Raheem Sterling was not England's top scorer at Euro 2020 and nor did he feed any starving schoolchildren. SPotY was a strangely all-English affair, and even in a record Olympics year, the BBC's choice of Olympians did not extend past the two also known for appearing on television shows.
    Lewis got robbed of the WDC and was therefore dropped from the shortlist. Left them with an all white shortlist. Raheem drafted in. That could have been how it went.
    Raducanu isn't white?
    Don't get the question. What do you mean?
    Your original post implied that Raducanu is white. I’d say she is mixed race.
    Ah ok. Yes, she is. But I was more thinking how the panel choosing the shortlist would view it. Could be nonsense what I said. Not sure.
    Sounds suspiciously like you were saying Raducanu wasn’t dark enough for your woke quota. By the way Tyson Fury is a gypsy, perhaps the most racially maligned group in the country. But I guess he doesn’t count either.
    Oh do stop it. I don't have any quotas and I don't advise on Spoty. The question would be how the Beeb panel were viewing it having at the 11th hour lost Lewis from the shortlist.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 480
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

No it wasn't. I met my brother on 2 July 2020, that was the first week it was permitted. I wasn't even allowed to meet my partner until some time in May.
  • Options
    Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

I’ve said I don’t agree with them. I’m double jabbed plus booster and think vaccines are our way out of this.
    You said it was "fine" that they were doing this. Apparently, the only bar for you is that the protest is legal. Doesn't matter what the morality of the issue is at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What is wrong with Wick

We have family there

Graham Mann

Nothing wrong with Wick in that piece other than a lack of Afghani speakers. Which is unsurprising.

Mate, I’ve been to Wick. I went this “summer”, when it was perpetually overcast like a kind of Satanic torture.

Now, I love lots of Scotland, and I can even tolerate the climate, for a while. I am glad this beautiful land is part of Britain

But, Jesus, Wick. Don’t be an eejit. It is horrific. And the buildings are so incredibly ugly and dark. Wick, like other towns in Scotland, is one of the most depressing corners of this green earth. Right up there with the worst parts of the ex Soviet Union, or northern Peru, or Romania in winter. Hideous
    I actually find London depressingly grimy and grey! I don't like being there on my own and only really feel comfortable when escorted by my friend (ironically enough he lives not far from you). And as for Wick, chacun a son gout, but I adore the local Old Red Sandstone, and the Pulteneytown fisherfolk quarter is a minor truimph of urban planning:

https://www.alamy.com/pulteneytown-street-scene-wick-scotland-march-2014-image67811964.html
    https://www.wickheritage.org/articles_view.php?id=2409202017075820933
  • Options

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    2h

===

Iain Martin is either being stupid or disingenuous. Its the absolute upper limit of an estimate of a PEAK number i.e. even the bullshit modellers aren't saying 6k deaths a day for a month. They are saying their model says that the very highest level we will see on any one day with be 6k, that's a very different thing.

The fact the band is 600 to 6000 is the totally nonsense element. I might as well ask Brenda from Bristol what she thinks.
    Yeah, I'm getting a bit frustrated with the criticism.

I'm model stuff for a living (at a v.basic level, playing with other people's stuff or making my own in R/excel). The most popular scenario is always "what if everything goes wrong" and the baseline we measure the results off is usually very sketchy indeed.

Clickbait media + doomsday scenario + skittish politicians = lockdown
  • Options

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

These protesters doing what we are discussing here hardly compare to the Holocaust or the Stalin purges. They are booking vaccine appointments and not turning up. Allegedly.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Because almost without exception he’s appointed incompetents. And it’s easier for these charlatans to engage in gesture politics like curfews and vaxports than thinking through practical solutions. And they get away with it because foot soldiers like HYUFD are tribalist and care little for making sure the right solutions are implemented.
    That’s because Boris removed a lot of the clueful ones in October 2019 - all he’s got left are the incompetents
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Oh FFS.

Um, you are meant to fast before communion? Don't tell me let me guess, you didn't know that because you only do it once a year, as a fashion statement?
    Absolutely, got me in one.

I'm a carol loving atheist.
  • Options
    O/T made me laugh:

"Lord Frost reportedly furious with the terms of his resignation after negotiating them himself."

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1472492125980082182?s=20
  • Options
    RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

You said it was "fine" that they were doing this. Apparently, the only bar for you is that the protest is legal. Doesn't matter what the morality of the issue is at all.
    Legality is clear and unambiguous.

Morality is a personal matter.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Yes. Indeed. My prediction they would bring in sweeping lockdown from 3rd Jan looks less likely now - Johnson will just about hold the line until midnight on Boxing Day at this rate.

By then we might have more data hopefully showing omi is mild and SAGE are wrong.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,072
    FF43 said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

They lost, pathetically. On penalties, again. Despite being the better team in terms of talent

England is the home of football, with the world’s greatest football league, and now an embarrassment of young footballing skill

We should be expecting to WIN tournaments - like Germany, France, Italy or Spain - not pitifully grateful for a silver medal

It’s this loser attitude that means we lose. When we ditch this attitude, we win. See various English/British teams in rugby, cricket, golf, Olympic sports etc
    On this I have to agree with you. It’s celebrating mediocrity..A gallant loser is still a loser.
    It's celebrating a great achievement.
    Not my flag but impressed by the England team, who came across as polite and thoughtful young men. A role model for older people, like those that post here

You might even say they had a bit of personality.
    Yes, they were a pleasure to support. I do anyway but they made it easy.
  • Options
    Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

Yeah, and I was asking your personal opinion on it, and you thought it was "fine" that these protestors were denying others access to potentially life saving treatment.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Go Team Sunak Truss
    When he visibly shat himself about the implications of Omicron, when he was first told of it around the 26th November IIRC

He did it live on air on Sky, and that is what alerted me to this variant being a major problem. His eyes nearly boggled out of his big round head

I remember you saying that at the time, and yes his demeanor has changed a lot since Omicron arrived.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,816

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    2h

===

Was she not the one who commented about lockdowns??!!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Go Team Sunak Truss

He said something earlier today about as a banker he always liked to act early on crappy data or something along those lines.

So no change there then.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Sunak has always been a constitutional monarchist and backed Leave in 2016 too. Truss simply had a Damascene conversion to both from being a former Remainer and republican
    Oh? How many Tories believe in the Divine Right and absolute monarchy, like the good old days of Henry VIII and the Stuart malignants? Do tell.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Yes. Indeed. My prediction they would bring in sweeping lockdown from 3rd Jan looks less likely now - Johnson will just about hold the line until midnight on Boxing Day at this rate.

By then we might have more data hopefully showing omi is mild and SAGE are wrong.
    A forlorn hope. We already have plenty of data and even here you see people sweep it aside as irrelevant.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

Yeah, and I was asking your personal opinion on it, and you thought it was "fine" that these protestors were denying others access to potentially life saving treatment.
    They are making a protest and breaking no law. On that basis I said it was fine and I stand by that. I don’t agree with it. That’s a different matter. ,you either have protest within the law whether or not you agree with it or you simply stamp it out and don’t allow it,
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Oh? How many Tories believe in the Divine Right and absolute monarchy, like the good old days of Henry VIII and the Stuart malignants? Do tell.
    Even I don't believe in absolute monarchy. Does not change the fact our constitutional monarch is anointed by God
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

A forlorn hope. We already have plenty of data and even here you see people sweep it aside as irrelevant.
    Including the modelers:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2021/12/19/tackled-sage-covid-modeller-twitter-quite-revelation/
  • Options

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    2h

===

Was she not the one who commented about lockdowns??!!
    "Not another one?" :lol:
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Go Team Sunak Truss

He said something earlier today about as a banker he always liked to act early on crappy data or something along those lines.

So no change there then.
    I really can’t emphasise enough how poor his reputation was by the time he left the industry.
  • Options

O/T made me laugh:

"Lord Frost reportedly furious with the terms of his resignation after negotiating them himself."

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1472492125980082182?s=20

:lol:

I hear the DUP are even more furious about the terms of his resignation.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Even I don't believe in absolute monarchy. Does not change the fact our constitutional monarch is anointed by God
    Which "God"?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

IshmaelZ said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Oh FFS.

Fine, but you aren't very good at it. How hard is it to spin dinner out till say 11.15 given that midnight mass services tend to start at 1130?
  • Options
    MAIL: Don’t ruin our Christmas again, Boris

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1472705770806562820?s=20
  • Options
    PJH said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

No it wasn't. I met my brother on 2 July 2020, that was the first week it was permitted. I wasn't even allowed to meet my partner until some time in May.
    Wrong, you could meet another person outside in May 2020 who was not from your household. That was socially, not even for work
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Eabhal said:

IshmaelZ said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Oh FFS.

Fine, but you aren't very good at it. How hard is it to spin dinner out till say 11.15 given that midnight mass services tend to start at 1130?
    Thrown out of the pub at 2000.
  • Options
    Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

I am left speechless

They are making a protest and breaking no law. On that basis I said it was fine and I stand by that. I don’t agree with it. That’s a different matter. ,you either have protest within the law whether or not you agree with it or you simply stamp it out and don’t allow it,
    And as I said earlier there are likely laws/regulations relating to false representation/misinformation that they are breaking when submitting false information to a government authority. Still, you seem to be saying that any protest is okay, so long as it is lawful (and by extension any unlawful protest is wrong). I don't think that's correct. The law isn't the absolute arbiter of what is right and wrong.
This discussion has been closed.