Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This May 2020 pic from Number 10 will add to the pressure on BJ – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938
    I am told that this man having wine and cheese with the PM is Martin Reynolds, Boris Johnson’s Principal Private Secretary.

Mr Reynolds appears to be assisting with the investigation into parties in Downing Street last year. He emailed staff about it on Monday.

https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1472669740397178884/photo/1
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Today No 10 told @rowenamason @GuardianHeather @peterwalker99 “As we said last week, work meetings often take place in the Downing Street garden in the summer months. On this occasion there were staff meetings after a No 10 press conference."

A work meeting with wine and cheese.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1472660578141356039

That might fly if Mrs Johnson wasn't there....I don't take Mrs U to my work meetings.
    Are your work meetings in your own garden of Mrs U's home?

Where is Mrs U when you have work meetings in your home garden?
    Should she be there if it's a work meeting? Is she a member or employee of the government?
    I see no reason why she shouldn't. She doesn't need to be a formal member or employee of the government.

If the PM wants her by his side as an unofficial advisor, that's entirely his prerogative isn't it?

I'm sure Cherie and Samantha and others have all been at functions where their husbands were working at the time too.
    Has she signed the Official Secrets Act or any other form of confidentiality restriction?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

There will be more photos.

You may be hoping for that, but that doesn't make it so.
    Well you said that last time. There will be more
    No, I did not say that last time. What I was interested in then was any evidence of supposed hints dropped by the Mirror's editor that there would be more photos. None was forthcoming.
    This photo just shows people at their place of work taking a break in the garden chatting but social distancing, it's not a party. For Rayner to call the picture heartbreaking is absurd
    Wish I could have taken a "break" from my work at the time, with colleagues and bottles of wine...
    All canteens on building sites were shut at the time so people sat outside and ate their lunch and chatted. What is the difference ?
    They didn’t take their wives and partners with them. Or drink wine. Or restrict their “lunch” to a cheese board. Those are the main differences. Others may be able to add some
    Who has taken their wife?
    Looks like Carrie with baby at her breast seated by Boris.
    So the lady who lives at the property is sat in her garden socially distanced from everyone else, the staff are in the garden as they work there and are having a break. These people work in the office next to the garden together and have taken a break together. I really can't see any issues with this photo.
    That's because you are a dickhead, if that helps.

Cannot believe the wazzocks coming out of the woodwork in defence of BJ and Lady Suck Suck. It's over, lads.
    You are so brave ! If that photo is considered a party then they really can't have many good ones
    Um, that's a line you have recycled from elsewhere without really understanding it. Party vs not-party is not an issue here.
    So people doing really long hours have taken a socially distanced break in the garden next to their office and that's a party. Look at the people stood up people are not close to each other, I really thought the photos would be 100 times worse than this
    Way to miss the point. Again whether it was a party or not is ENTIRELY IRRELEVANT.
    Its very relevant.

"Wife and kids" being in the garden of where they live is entirely legal.

Employees being in the garden of where they work is entirely legal.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Using the fact that Carrie is there to suggest something wrong is disgraceful, a very "women shouldn't be seen or heard" attitude. She lives there, she's entitled to be in the garden.
    Scraping yourself. If she is there it's not a work meeting but a social occasion. Ergo ...
    She lives there. She's entirely entitled to be where she lives while a work meeting is happening.

Have you ever had a work meeting in your house. Did you tell your wife she had to f**k off elsewhere while you did?
    So she can waltz into a COBRA briefing at her own pleasure?
    What makes you think this was a COBRA briefing?
    I don't. But you said because she lives there she can attend whatever meetings she pleases.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Ah, now cricket and bigging up The Hundred.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

England men’s football team get team of the year.

Pathetic. They won **** all, and poor Southgate had to acknowledge that.

Daley and Lee should have won that.

Having Daley win as well is just reward for his fantastic achievements throughout his career.
    No chance he wins the main award? I’ve voted for him, but I expect Raducanu to win.
    That would be equally wrong if he did. The only story in town is Raducanu.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

Scott_xP said:

Today No 10 told @rowenamason @GuardianHeather @peterwalker99 “As we said last week, work meetings often take place in the Downing Street garden in the summer months. On this occasion there were staff meetings after a No 10 press conference."

That might fly if Mrs Johnson wasn't there....I don't take Mrs U to my work meetings.

How many work meetings with wine and cheese did you have in your garden during lockdown?
    Plenty, but it was just me :-)
    I sympathise - no one used to turn up to my meetings when I was still working.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,221

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Having Daley win as well is just reward for his fantastic achievements throughout his career.
    No chance he wins the main award? I’ve voted for him, but I expect Raducanu to win.
    I'm pretty sure SeanT will have voted for her, not necessarily for sporting reasons.

So that's 10,000 votes banked before she starts.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Some of the lawyers might want to check this thread out. If might appear that some of the journalists haven't yet worked out the difference between guidance, rules and statue law.

https://twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1472653323216080901
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    A photo of Boris in an Italian resultant canoodling with a Russian musician of some sort of other. While his wife was pregnant. And during lockdown.

Someone’s got that photo surely.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    I assume Rishi took - and subsequently leaked - this photo, from his vantage point next door to proceedings?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

A photo of Boris in an Italian resultant canoodling with a Russian musician of some sort of other. While his wife was pregnant. And during lockdown.

How much are you offering me for it?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Should she be there if it's a work meeting? Is she a member or employee of the government?
    I see no reason why she shouldn't. She doesn't need to be a formal member or employee of the government.

If the PM wants her by his side as an unofficial advisor, that's entirely his prerogative isn't it?

I'm sure Cherie and Samantha and others have all been at functions where their husbands were working at the time too.

Hmm, I would definitely not want my wife in any of my work meetings. I think it's inappropriate for the PM to have his wife present. If he wants to talk to her afterwards and get her views that's up to him.
    I think the consensus is that the spouse of the PM shouldn't be involved in discussions of government business.
    But I think it's also the consensus that the spouse of this PM is rather involved in discussions of government business.

So if this picture is to be used to make that point, fine. But I don't think that's the point anyone's making, because it's already well known, even if we may not like it.

Interestingly, if this had been, say, Dennis Thatcher or Sam Cameron or Peter(?) May I don't think there would have been any fuss whatsoever. "Look, Dennis is there." It would have just been assumed he was in some general conversation about gin or cars or whatever it was he made small talk about. It's only because we know how involved Carrie is that her presence there raises these questions.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

A photo showing precisely what people should be doing. Ok, there are people closer than 2m, but really this is a Boris-helpful snap!

- mostly closer than 2m
    - more than 2 at a social event outside (if it is a social event)
    - having spouse and child unnecessarily at a work meeting (if it is a work event)
    - either way breaching household bubbles multiply
    - general **** you to the public who were expected to follow the rules

Not sure what the rules may have been at the time, but this is roughly what we should be doing isn't it?

I'm absolutely sure that nobody has followed all the rules 100% of the time. On Christmas day last year I met with two people for a walk in the park for example.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

moonshine said:

How much are you offering me for it?
    A real one or a fake one?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

No, I did not say that last time. What I was interested in then was any evidence of supposed hints dropped by the Mirror's editor that there would be more photos. None was forthcoming.
    This photo just shows people at their place of work taking a break in the garden chatting but social distancing, it's not a party. For Rayner to call the picture heartbreaking is absurd
    Wish I could have taken a "break" from my work at the time, with colleagues and bottles of wine...
    All canteens on building sites were shut at the time so people sat outside and ate their lunch and chatted. What is the difference ?
    They didn’t take their wives and partners with them. Or drink wine. Or restrict their “lunch” to a cheese board. Those are the main differences. Others may be able to add some
    So the lady who lives at the property is sat in her garden socially distanced from everyone else, the staff are in the garden as they work there and are having a break. These people work in the office next to the garden together and have taken a break together. I really can't see any issues with this photo.

Cannot believe the wazzocks coming out of the woodwork in defence of BJ and Lady Suck Suck. It's over, lads.
    You are so brave ! If that photo is considered a party then they really can't have many good ones
    Um, that's a line you have recycled from elsewhere without really understanding it. Party vs not-party is not an issue here.
    So people doing really long hours have taken a socially distanced break in the garden next to their office and that's a party. Look at the people stood up people are not close to each other, I really thought the photos would be 100 times worse than this
    Way to miss the point. Again whether it was a party or not is ENTIRELY IRRELEVANT.
    Its very relevant.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Using the fact that Carrie is there to suggest something wrong is disgraceful, a very "women shouldn't be seen or heard" attitude. She lives there, she's entitled to be in the garden.
    Scraping yourself. If she is there it's not a work meeting but a social occasion. Ergo ...
    She lives there. She's entirely entitled to be where she lives while a work meeting is happening.

Have you ever had a work meeting in your house. Did you tell your wife she had to f**k off elsewhere while you did?
    I don't. But you said because she lives there she can attend whatever meetings she pleases.
    Whatever ones are in her garden, yes.

I'd kind of assume any confidential COBR meetings aren't held outside in the garden!
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Endillion said:

I assume Rishi took - and subsequently leaked - this photo, from his vantage point next door to proceedings?

Lol - what if it is Sunak drip feeding this out. Still haven’t heard much from him at all..
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Its very relevant.

ODFOD, and your suggestion of sexism is laughable. I passionately believe in the right of women to arrange for friends of this country to be imprisoned, tortured and murdered so that doggie woggies can catch a plane.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605
    In the spirit of political betting, can we have a sweepstake on who in the picture will be the person appointed to investigate?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Its very relevant.

I'd kind of assume any confidential COBR meetings aren't held outside in the garden!
    So this rule only applies to the garden, and not other areas of her house?
  • Options
    Endillion said:

A simple check of Google Maps confirms that the photo was almost certainly taken from the windows of Number 11.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

A photo showing precisely what people should be doing. Ok, there are people closer than 2m, but really this is a Boris-helpful snap!

- mostly closer than 2m
    - having spouse and child unnecessarily at a work meeting (if it is a work event)

Not sure what the rules may have been at the time, but this is roughly what we should be doing isn't it?

I'm absolutely sure that nobody has followed all the rules 100% of the time. On Christmas day last year I met with two people for a walk in the park for example.
    Quite.

But X has it off with a female while his wife is pregnant - meh.

Archbishop of Canterbury, on the other hand ...
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Yes. They have. But it is superinjuncted, which is why I didn't type this post. Next?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Its very relevant.

Snakes in the grass?
  • Options

Endillion said:

A simple check of Google Maps confirms that the photo was almost certainly taken from the windows of Number 11.
    I thought Sunak didn't live there.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    tlg86 said:

The most ridiculous opinion aired on here for quite some time. Bravo.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Some of the lawyers might want to check this thread out. If might appear that some of the journalists haven't yet worked out the difference between guidance, rules and statue law.

https://twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1472653323216080901

I'm sure that would make a huge difference if the Met were inclined to investigate. In the courts of public opinion and Tory MP opinion, it might be missing the point.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I disagree. Daley’s achievement is better, in my opinion.

But then I’d have given it to Max Whitlock, but he wasn’t nominated. :(
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited December 2021
    Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Hmm, I would definitely not want my wife in any of my work meetings. I think it's inappropriate for the PM to have his wife present. If he wants to talk to her afterwards and get her views that's up to him.
    I think the consensus is that the spouse of the PM shouldn't be involved in discussions of government business.
    But I think it's also the consensus that the spouse of this PM is rather involved in discussions of government business.

So if this picture is to be used to make that point, fine. But I don't think that's the point anyone's making, because it's already well known, even if we may not like it.

Interestingly, if this had been, say, Dennis Thatcher or Sam Cameron or Peter(?) May I don't think there would have been any fuss whatsoever. "Look, Dennis is there." It would have just been assumed he was in some general conversation about gin or cars or whatever it was he made small talk about. It's only because we know how involved Carrie is that her presence there raises these questions.
    She’s not just resting her feet after serving all the drinks? ;)
  • Options
    Least unexpected news ever on SPOTY.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Its very relevant.

The garden and her flat.

The COBR meeting rooms aren't in either are they?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Its very relevant.

Philip is making it up as he goes along. Just like his hero Johnson.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    Foxy said:

In the spirit of political betting, can we have a sweepstake on who in the picture will be the person appointed to investigate?

I'm going with NutNut's.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Endillion said:

The clown lives above no 11?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

- mostly closer than 2m

Quite.

X has gone down very much in my view recently, and oddly the Archbishop has risen - he did a very good interview the other day. I strongly suspect the Archbishop is playing politics, but if so he's doing it at a level above the current Westminster bunfights.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Which bit, out of interest?

Southgate seemed embarrassed at winning team of the year.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I am told that this man having wine and cheese with the PM is Martin Reynolds, Boris Johnson’s Principal Private Secretary.

Mr Reynolds appears to be assisting with the investigation into parties in Downing Street last year. He emailed staff about it on Monday.

Fuck right off. No wonder Philip is so desperate to say "nothing to see here"
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977
    Alexander Clarkson
    @APHClarkson
    ·
    3m
    If this was an East European state, many more searching questions would be asked about who is collecting compromising material and why it is being distributed now
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Its very relevant.

The garden and her flat.

The COBR meeting rooms aren't in either are they?
    No, but you seem to be suggesting that she has right to join any meeting undertaken in No 10. The fact that the garden gets lumped in with the flat and not the rest of the premises seems to just be a convenience for your argument.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Least unexpected news ever on SPOTY.

Completely justified. 👍 🍾
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Princess NutNut
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Its very relevant.

Yes, frequently before I retired - as a home worker, like BJ. And vice versa. Though we were more polite with one another than you suggest.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

- mostly closer than 2m

Quite.

X has gone down very much in my view recently, and oddly the Archbishop has risen - he did a very good interview the other day. I strongly suspect the Archbishop is playing politics, but if so he's doing it at a level above the current Westminster bunfights.
    (wasn't really thinking of anyone in particular for X, to contrast with the A of C, actually!)

Oh, I hadn't noticed re Justin Cantuar. This one?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/17/archbishop-of-canterbury-disappointed-at-tory-lockdown-revelations
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Is it really surprising that the PM would be having meetings with his PPS and (what looks like) his chief advisor at the time?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

No. No No No No No.
    I hope I rarely resort to capital letters, but diving is NOT A SPORT.
    We can't give SPOTY to a diver. Britain will be a laughing stock.
    Emma Raducanu has won a major in one of the biggest sports. Has to be her.

Giving team of the year to the England men's football team is also ridiculous.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938
    Boris Johnson 'sleaze and wine' party in Downing Street garden during lockdown - Daily Record https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-sleaze-wine-party-25739893
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Its very relevant.

Indian lager was in the esky?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Its very relevant.

Philip is making it up as he goes along. Just like his hero Johnson.
    Do you think confidential meetings should be held outside in the garden? Or in her flat?

Or should confidential meetings be held the confidential, secure briefing rooms?
  • Options
    eek said:

Alexander Clarkson
    @APHClarkson
    ·
    3m
    If this was an East European state, many more searching questions would be asked about who is collecting compromising material and why it is being distributed now

An insight well worth the link. Without it, it would never have occurred to me to ask those questions. Humbled.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,166
    kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

A gallant loser is still a loser.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson 'sleaze and wine' party in Downing Street garden during lockdown - Daily Record https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-sleaze-wine-party-25739893

Thanks. We might have missed this bit of news.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,609
    If the story itself wasn't entertaining enough, Bozo's cheerleaders defending the indefensible puts the icing on the cake.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I want Boris out, but this is just pathetic.

"Woman who lives in flat is in her own garden, news at 11"

Fuck off. Get some serious shit, there's enough of it going around.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    RobD said:

Endillion said:

I bet he's got an office there though - one with a nice view of the garden, I shouldn't wonder.

It's 8pm on a warm May evening. Chancellor Sunak is still working through the figures to see how bankrupt the country is when he's disturbed by a noise from outside... That lazy f*cker from next door is having yet another party! Time to snap a few insurance photos.

Seven months later, lazy f*cker is imploding, time to pass on the pics and add to the collapse.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Is it really surprising that the PM would be having meetings with his PPS and (what looks like) his chief advisor at the time?
    A meeting with him? That's fine. That he is helping to investigate whether parties which he attended took place - less fine
  • Options

RobD said:

Endillion said:

I bet he's got an office there though - one with a nice view of the garden, I shouldn't wonder.

It's 8pm, poor Rishi is still working through the figures to see how bankrupt the country is when he's disturbed by a noise from outside... That lazy f*cker from next door is having yet another party! Time to snap a few insurance photos.

Seven months later, lazy f*cker is imploding, time to pass on the pics and add to the collapse.
    No, the flat above No 11 is where Johnson lives.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

- mostly closer than 2m

Quite.

(wasn't really thinking of anyone in particular for X, to contrast with the A of C, actually!)

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/17/archbishop-of-canterbury-disappointed-at-tory-lockdown-revelations
    You are meant to say ++Cantuar.

Bleating ninny. A man who causes me to despise OEs more than the PM and our own dear Charles between them.
  • Options
    How has Raheem Sterling not won SPOTY?

Let's remember all his achievements in 2021:

Played for Citeh and England (ust like last year and next year)
    er
    that's it
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Tin hat time.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

- mostly closer than 2m

Quite.

Bleating ninny. A man who causes me to despise OEs more than the PM and our own dear Charles between them.
    Thank you for the etiquette lesson. More familiar with plain Moderators of the Kirk.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

If the PM had not repeatedly lied, that photo would not be a mainstream story. It is his own fault it is, can't say I have much sympathy.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Endillion said:

It's 8pm, poor Rishi is still working through the figures to see how bankrupt the country is when he's disturbed by a noise from outside... That lazy f*cker from next door is having yet another party! Time to snap a few insurance photos.

You saying the cxxt is shopping himself?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Endillion said:

We can't see Carrie's face, can we?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

- mostly closer than 2m

Quite.

We had a Christmas card from the Welbys this year as my wife used to work for them. He is a decent man doing a good job.

• Options
    Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

No. No No No No No.

How is diving not a sport?

I think Raducanu is a worthy winner, I just think Daley deserved it for persistence. And it’s a sport dominated by China, so really difficult to win at.
  • Options

RobD said:

Endillion said:

It's 8pm on a warm May evening. Chancellor Sunak is still working through the figures to see how bankrupt the country is when he's disturbed by a noise from outside... That lazy f*cker from next door is having yet another party! Time to snap a few insurance photos.

18 months later, the other person with Boris is Dominic Cummings
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

- mostly closer than 2m

Quite.

Was a BBC thing as far as I recall. Doesn't matter though, the AoC has recently been sensible and straightforwards. This is of course 'at long last' given the history. In recent years he (they) have been far too political.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Which bit, out of interest?

Southgate seemed embarrassed at winning team of the year.
    Not about Daley. Great achievement by him and his partner. But it's not 'pathetic' for England to get team of the year over a diving duo. Made a major international final for the first time in 55 years and came within the width of a post of winning it. In football, the biggest global sport by miles. Got the whole country rocking. That's 'pathetic' compared to an Olympic gold for a platform diving duo? C'mon. I know bizarre opinions make the PB wheels turn but still.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Scott_xP said:

Indeed, a total non story pushed by leftwingers. Most of us had socials in our garden last spring and summer and most of those in the photo in the No 10 garden with the PM and Carrie were civil servants working there anyway
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The damage is already done but there is more than an element of barrel,scraping here.

Johnson is toast. I don’t see the point of this apart from being clickbait, it won’t change anything.
  • Options
    You know when Big Dom went for his eye test....and we said I wonder why he didn't sack him immediately....surely that's the sensible thing to do, then get him to say sorry and he can even come back in a 6-12 months and it dragged on.

People at the time said, I wonder if / what Big Dom has on him.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

No. No No No No No.

I think Raducanu is a worthy winner, I just think Daley deserved it for persistence. And it’s a sport dominated by China, so really difficult to win at.
    I don't see how Daley deserves it for 'of the year'.

Some people seem to want to gift it to Daley as a lifetime achievement award, but that shouldn't make him the athlete of the year.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Endillion said:

A friend of mine reckons the most likely explanation for the current barrage of political incompetence (from someone who hitherto was a not-unshrewd political operator, whatever one may thing of his abilities as an administrator) can only be due to some sort of deliberate self-sabotage.
  • Options

er
    that's it

The whole SPotY shortlist was daft. As you say, Raheem Sterling was not England's top scorer at Euro 2020 and nor did he feed any starving schoolchildren. SPotY was a strangely all-English affair, and even in a record Olympics year, the BBC's choice of Olympians did not extend past the two also known for appearing on television shows.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

No. No No No No No.

It is a sport but has hardly any full time professionals. Some state funded Chinese and Brits and the odd random.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Tin hat time.
    What? Nemo iudex in causa sua probably means nothing to you, and I CBA to explain, but it is the, you know, actual law of the, you know, actual land. I am not clear how suggesting that it should apply equates to nutters warding off imaginary rays with tin foil hats. Nor are you, you just thought that was a thing you say on the internet and it sounds like it means something.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

No. No No No No No.

I don't see how Daley deserves it for 'of the year'.

Some people seem to want to gift it to Daley as a lifetime achievement award, but that shouldn't make him the athlete of the year.
    I’m saying persistence is what tips it for him, in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

- mostly closer than 2m

Quite.

Was a BBC thing as far as I recall. Doesn't matter though, the AoC has recently been sensible and straightforwards. This is of course 'at long last' given the history. In recent years he (they) have been far too political.
    AOC goes in cycles between evangelicals and generally liberal Anglo Catholics. Hence the liberal Runcie followed by the conservative evangelical Carey who was followed by the liberal Anglo Catholic Rowan Williams who was followed by the current incumbent the evangelical Welby.

Stephen Cottrell, the more high Church, pro Parish Archbishop of York is a good bet for next Archbishop of Canterbury therefore
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Endillion said:

A friend of mine reckons the most likely explanation for the current barrage of political incompetence (from someone who hitherto was a not-unshrewd political operator, whatever one may thing of his abilities as an administrator) can only be due to some sort of deliberate self-sabotage.
    If Boris wanted out, he could have easily got out by

"I have long COVID, i just can't perform at the level required of a PM, I have a toddler and a baby on the way, it is better for me, my family and the country to step aside."

And probably would have got a fair amount of sympathy.
  • Options

You know when Big Dom went for his eye test....and we said I wonder why he didn't sack him immediately....surely that's the sensible thing to do, then get him to say sorry and he can even come back in a 6-12 months and it dragged on.

People at the time said, I wonder if / what Big Dom has on him.

Boris didn’t even need to do that - the best plan was for Dom to resign and for Boris to reject it due to the circumstances created by Covid
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Tin hat time.
    What? Nemo iudex in causa sua probably means nothing to you, and I CBA to explain, but it is the, you know, actual law of the, you know, actual land. I am not clear how suggesting that it should apply equates to nutters warding off imaginary rays with tin foil hats. Nor are you, you just thought that was a thing you say on the internet and it sounds like it means something.
    That was just a noise.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964

er
    that's it

The whole SPotY shortlist was daft. As you say, Raheem Sterling was not England's top scorer at Euro 2020 and nor did he feed any starving schoolchildren. SPotY was a strangely all-English affair, and even in a record Olympics year, the BBC's choice of Olympians did not extend past the two also known for appearing on television shows.
    No nomination for the most successful TdF sprinter of all time? Who came back from his career being over.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Indeed, a total non story pushed by leftwingers. Most of us had socials in our garden last spring and summer and most of those in the photo in the No 10 garden with the PM and Carrie were civil servants working there anyway
    Oh, so it's OK for the PM to, (hypothetically) say, drive while drunk just because you (hypothetically) do it?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

- mostly closer than 2m

Quite.

AOC goes in cycles between evangelicals and generally liberal Anglo Catholics. Hence the liberal Runcie followed by the conservative evangelical Carey who was followed by the liberal Anglo Catholic Rowan Williams who was followed by the current incumbent the evangelical Welby.

Stephen Cottrell, the more high Church, pro Parish Archbishop of York is a good bet for next Archbishop of Canterbury therefore
    If the current AoC wishes to talk sense and postion himself (in my view) correctly then I'm not going to be chippy about his past or that of his predecessors.

(Churches of all sorts probably have more darkness in their history than the average individual)
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Tin hat time.
    In which case, the fact he is in this photo is irrelevant. He will have been working with Boris all year. He is Boris's PPS and therefore may have attended many meetings that don't conform to social distancing. Indeed, why wasn't he working from home? What were those people actually doing at No 10?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    eek said:

RobD said:

Endillion said:

Yes, 19 months in fact, not 7. My mistake.

Makes it even worse when you consider the tightness of restrictions in place in May 2020.

Tbf, I don't think this picture will move to public opinion dial at all - the damage is aready done there. It will be difficult for Sue Grey to ignore though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

You're confusing 2021 with 2020.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

- mostly closer than 2m

Quite.

I was confused as to why Alexandria Ocasio Cortez 'goes in cycles.'

Then I realised you didn't mean *that* AOC.
  • Options

er
    that's it

Lewis got robbed of the WDC and was therefore dropped from the shortlist. Left them with an all white shortlist. Raheem drafted in. That could have been how it went.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Tin hat time.
    In which case, the fact he is in this photo is irrelevant. He will have been working with Boris all year. He is Boris's PPS and therefore may have attended many meetings that don't conform to social distancing. Indeed, why wasn't he working from home? What were those people actually doing at No 10?
    Stroking each other's dicks, and gearing up for Princess Suck Suck's Great Lots of Dead Ragheads But Nobody Cares Magic Rescue Dogathon, at a random guess. Really, is there any depth of moral corruption which moves the needle on your scale?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,146
    Utterly irresponsible journalism

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/19/science-clear-case-more-covid-restrictions-overwhelming?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The case for more Covid restrictions is the opposite of “overwhelming”. It is opaque, sketchy, partial and deeply underwhelming

Pathetic Guardian journalists are trying to bully HMG into premature decisions which could deeply fuck up millions of people

Why do they do this? What’s the advantage for the Left?
  • Options

eek said:

RobD said:

Endillion said:

Yes, 19 months in fact, not 7. My mistake.

Makes it even worse when you consider the tightness of restrictions in place in May 2020.

Tbf, I don't think this picture will move to public opinion dial at all - the damage is aready done there. It will be difficult for Sue Grey to ignore though.
    It’s just more reinforcement for, whatever, you’ve already decided upon.
  • Options

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Endillion said:

If Boris wanted out, he could have easily got out by

"I have long COVID, i just can't perform at the level required of a PM, I have a toddler and a baby on the way, it is better for me, my family and the country to step aside."

And probably would have got a fair amount of sympathy.
    Yes he could. I'm not saying my friend's theory makes sense. But it fits the facts.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

er
    that's it

Lewis got robbed of the WDC and was therefore dropped from the shortlist. Left them with an all white shortlist. Raheem drafted in. That could have been how it went.
    Umm, Raducanu?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    The James Webb Space Telescope has a new launch date! Really hope it goes well and the concept works well so we get something like LUVOIR made ahead of schedule.

Kids all over the country should be really fired about this one, it's the long term replacement for Hubble even though the pictures will look different. It's going to be spectacular.

Sometimes I really regret not following my passion of astrophysics and went into chemistry itself because it had a defined career pathway to medicine or pharma (which I didn't do anyway). My old physics teacher was pretty upset when I informed him that I had chosen chemistry and biochemistry for my university choices.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,146
    The writing in Succession series 3 is sublime, as is the acting, at times
  • Options
    Extremely useful chart as covid runs rampant in the UK and we all plan for Christmas

It shows how long after exposure to covid you will be detectable by a lateral flow test vs a PCR test if you do have it
    And at what stages you are likely infectious

https://twitter.com/MsHannahMurphy/status/1472550485747847170?s=20
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    kinabalu said:

er
    that's it

Raducanu isn't white?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Utterly irresponsible journalism

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/19/science-clear-case-more-covid-restrictions-overwhelming?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The case for more Covid restrictions is the opposite of “overwhelming”. It is opaque, sketchy, partial and deeply underwhelming

Pathetic Guardian journalists are trying to bully HMG into premature decisions which could deeply fuck up millions of people

Why do they do this? What’s the advantage for the Left?

You were young once I guess. I sort of imagine I was too.
This discussion has been closed.