Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This May 2020 pic from Number 10 will add to the pressure on BJ – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    MaxPB said:

The James Webb Space Telescope has a new launch date! Really hope it goes well and the concept works well so we get something like LUVOIR made ahead of schedule.

Kids all over the country should be really fired about this one, it's the long term replacement for Hubble even though the pictures will look different. It's going to be spectacular.

Sometimes I really regret not following my passion of astrophysics and went into chemistry itself because it had a defined career pathway to medicine or pharma (which I didn't do anyway). My old physics teacher was pretty upset when I informed him that I had chosen chemistry and biochemistry for my university choices.

A new launch date, for now...

https://xkcd.com/2014/
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2021
    The Guardian is often not much more nuanced than the Telegraph these days. I think part of it is its supporters' funding model, which makes it much more likely to preach to the choir. They still have some excellent opinion columnists, like Polly Toynbee, George Monbiot, Rafael Behr, John Harris and others, but daily news and also sometimes arts and culture coverage is on a somewhat downward, very outspokenly opinionated slope.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,101

How has Raheem Sterling not won SPOTY?

Let's remember all his achievements in 2021:

Played for Citeh and England (ust like last year and next year)
    er
    that's it

Giggs remember?

And he did win.
  • Options
    What's the key number tomorrow?

How much does the 7-day rolling average of hospitalisations increase?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I am told that this man having wine and cheese with the PM is Martin Reynolds, Boris Johnson’s Principal Private Secretary.

Mr Reynolds appears to be assisting with the investigation into parties in Downing Street last year. He emailed staff about it on Monday.

https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1472669740397178884/photo/1

Fuck right off. No wonder Philip is so desperate to say "nothing to see here"
    I want Boris out, but this is just pathetic.

"Woman who lives in flat is in her own garden, news at 11"

Fuck off. Get some serious shit, there's enough of it going around.
    Indeed, a total non story pushed by leftwingers. Most of us had socials in our garden last spring and summer and most of those in the photo in the No 10 garden with the PM and Carrie were civil servants working there anyway
    Well, no; I have been saying that this is a fairly lame story based on the assumption that this is 'at work' - I wish Carrie weren't there but that's because I wish she wasn't part of the 'work' set up. But she is. But I bridle that 'most of had socials in our gardens' - I'm pretty sure most of us followed the letter of the law dutifully that first lockdown. There was incredible reulctance even to venture onto someone else's drive. I remember other passing parents pitifully trying to stop their kids coming on to our drive to play with our kids. I remember the feeling of gleeful freedom when people were first allowed in gardens - in June 2020 - and for the first time in three months our youngest could play with someone her own age. So no, I certainly wouldn't try that line of defence.

But again, the far bigger issue is why is the fat fucker trying to lock us all up again? It can't be judt that he wants all the cheese for himself.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Taz said:

MaxPB said:

The James Webb Space Telescope has a new launch date! Really hope it goes well and the concept works well so we get something like LUVOIR made ahead of schedule.

Kids all over the country should be really fired about this one, it's the long term replacement for Hubble even though the pictures will look different. It's going to be spectacular.

Sometimes I really regret not following my passion of astrophysics and went into chemistry itself because it had a defined career pathway to medicine or pharma (which I didn't do anyway). My old physics teacher was pretty upset when I informed him that I had chosen chemistry and biochemistry for my university choices.

Can’t wait for this. The Hubble and ESA pictures are fantastic of distant space but this will be revolutionary.
    Yes, and being able to peer through the dust is going to be amazing for our understanding of what goes on behind the veil.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    edited December 2021

The Guardian is often not much more nuanced than the Telegraph these days. I think part of it is its supporters' funding model, which makes it much more likely to preach to the choir. They still have some excellent opinion columnists, like Polly Toynbee, George Monbiot, Rafael Behr, John Harris and others, but daily news and culture coverage is on a somewhat downward, very outspokenly opinionated slope.

The vast majority of Guardian readers are Labour or LD voters as the vast majority of Telegraph readers are Conservative voters. The Times is the swing paper of the broadsheets and generally the most centrist.

If any paper switches from backing Boris in 2019 to backing Starmer next time it would likely be the Times
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

A new launch date, for now...

https://xkcd.com/2014/
    Well it's on Friday so let's hope they don't delay it for much longer now!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,056
    MaxPB said:

Taz said:

MaxPB said:

Can’t wait for this. The Hubble and ESA pictures are fantastic of distant space but this will be revolutionary.
    Yes, and being able to peer through the dust is going to be amazing for our understanding of what goes on behind the veil.
    Yes, it’s incredibly exciting.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

England men’s football team get team of the year.

Pathetic. They won **** all, and poor Southgate had to acknowledge that.

Daley and Lee should have won that.

The most ridiculous opinion aired on here for quite some time. Bravo.
    Which bit, out of interest?

Southgate seemed embarrassed at winning team of the year.
    Given the way England played for much of that final, it can't be much of a surprise.
  • Options
    Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

A gallant loser is still a loser.
    That's stupid Trump talk.

I go down in a 5 set thriller in the Wimbledon final.

I come 1st in the Hampstead annual crepe tossing contest.

Which is the greater achievement?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I am told that this man having wine and cheese with the PM is Martin Reynolds, Boris Johnson’s Principal Private Secretary.

Mr Reynolds appears to be assisting with the investigation into parties in Downing Street last year. He emailed staff about it on Monday.

Indeed, a total non story pushed by leftwingers. Most of us had socials in our garden last spring and summer and most of those in the photo in the No 10 garden with the PM and Carrie were civil servants working there anyway
    It was against the rules to have socials in gardens. Most of us occasionally had a quick chat at a distance on someone’s doorstep while dropping off food or some other pretext and that was it for social life. I remember how exciting it was when it changed in June(?) to be permissible to sit in someone else’s garden and see people you hasn’t seen for 3 months.

Maybe you were breaking the rules too, but most people really weren’t.
    Spot on. This was right in the middle of the deepest lockdown period. Shame the photos didn't come out at the time.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Have we had an exit pole for Chile yet?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,881
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

The writing in Succession series 3 is sublime, as is the acting, at times

"Scary Poppins"

Matthew Macfadyen is brilliant.

The twist of the knife at the end...
  • Options
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

It was against the rules to have socials in gardens. Most of us occasionally had a quick chat at a distance on someone’s doorstep while dropping off food or some other pretext and that was it for social life. I remember how exciting it was when it changed in June(?) to be permissible to sit in someone else’s garden and see people you hasn’t seen for 3 months.

You could have socials in gardens last May even in limited numbers.

Plus those in the photo were at No 10 for government work purposes anyway
  • Options
    BigRich said:

They are reading the tea leaves at the moment with the first few hundred votes.
  • Options

Extremely useful chart as covid runs rampant in the UK and we all plan for Christmas

It shows how long after exposure to covid you will be detectable by a lateral flow test vs a PCR test if you do have it
    And at what stages you are likely infectious

https://twitter.com/MsHannahMurphy/status/1472550485747847170?s=20

Thanks. Just to be clear the infectious period is the whole of the shaded area (days 2.5 to 11) right? Not just the pink area (days 3 to 7).

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

Depends how much you like winning, I suppose.
  • Options

Extremely useful chart as covid runs rampant in the UK and we all plan for Christmas

It shows how long after exposure to covid you will be detectable by a lateral flow test vs a PCR test if you do have it

Thanks. Just to be clear the infectious period is the whole of the shaded area (days 2.5 to 11) right? Not just the pink area (days 3 to 7).

Depends what you mean by infectious period. You are most infectious at the peak, and it would be challenging to infect anyone without kissing them when you are in either tail.
  • Options

Think it's the pink bit, not the shaded bit.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,794
    kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

They lost, pathetically. On penalties, again. Despite being the better team in terms of talent

England is the home of football, with the world’s greatest football league, and now an embarrassment of young footballing skill

We should be expecting to WIN tournaments - like Germany, France, Italy or Spain - not pitifully grateful for a silver medal

It’s this loser attitude that means we lose. When we ditch this attitude, we win. See various English/British teams in rugby, cricket, golf, Olympic sports etc
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Guardian is often not much more nuanced than the Telegraph these days. I think part of it is its supporters' funding model, which makes it much more likely to preach to the choir. They still have some excellent opinion columnists, like Polly Toynbee, George Monbiot, Rafael Behr, John Harris and others, but daily news and culture coverage is on a somewhat downward, very outspokenly opinionated slope.

The vast majority of Guardian readers are Labour or LD voters as the vast majority of Telegraph readers are Conservative voters. The Times is the swing paper of the broadsheets and generally the most centrist.

If any paper switches from backing Boris in 2019 to backing Starmer next time it would likely be the Times
    I get the Times and I sense it is having a think about that.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    RobD said:

BigRich said:

Thanks,

My Spanish is not so good, and the few links I tried where all indisiverable to me, Boric seems to be shortening on the markets but only slightly.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

As a paper delivered? I'm sort of thinking that I need to do that (not specific to the Times)
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

"Scary Poppins"

It is wildly superior to anything else out there, screenwriting wise. Every third line is a zinger. Amazing

And so many beautifully observed, deliciously horrible characters

West Wing at its peak was like this, in terms of writing, maybe not as good
  • Options
    Just thinking a bit more about the photo taker....one shouldn't forget that Dishy Rishi only got the job because he was Big Dom's man. He didn't want somebody like Javid, as worried he might be too much of a spendthrift for the "levelling up" agenda.
  • Options
    RobD said:

BigRich said:

Quite a stark choice they have.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

No 1 couldn’t - 1 person from outside your household maximum and still 2metres apart
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Is the Times really centrist? It seems an unbashed pro tory mouthpiece even if it backed Blair in the past. If Sunak is leader the Times is surely 100% certain to get behind him too. Even Matthew Parris has taken a more right wing stance on refugees.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Ronnie O'Sullivan having a dig at Boris. And lockdown.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sunak's trip seems to be getting a bit murkier. No published itinerary, no listing of government business.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,217
    MaxPB said:

Actually a handy chart, since if you have been ill and do a positive PCR and a negative LFR it suggests you are no longer infectious
  • Options
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

Is the Times really centrist? It seems an unbashed pro tory mouthpiece even if it backed Blair in the past. If Sunak is leader the Times is surely 100% certain to get behind him too. Even Matthew Parris has taken a more right wing stance on refugees.
    The Times backed Labour in 2001 and 2005 and was for Remain. It is much more likely to back Starmer than the Sun now whose readers are overwhelmingly Leavers
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

WRONG! Very surprised you do not know the rules that existed then. Your PM said:

"From this evening I must give the British people a very simple instruction - you must stay at home.

Because the critical thing we must do is stop the disease spreading between households.

That is why people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:

shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
    one form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household;
    any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person; and
    travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.
    That’s all - these are the only reasons you should leave your home.

You should not be meeting friends. If your friends ask you to meet, you should say No."

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-address-to-the-nation-on-coronavirus-23-march-2020
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I suspect the general viewpoint on refugees is moving towards the right and that is going to get worse as refugee numbers continue to rise.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

WRONG! Very surprised you do not know the rules that existed then. Your PM said:

"From this evening I must give the British people a very simple instruction - you must stay at home.

Because the critical thing we must do is stop the disease spreading between households.

That is why people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:

one form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household;
    travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.

You should not be meeting friends. If your friends ask you to meet, you should say No."

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-address-to-the-nation-on-coronavirus-23-march-2020
    There was a twitter thread showing it was very likely that the party/meeting or whatever wasn't against the legislation because of how it was written. So HYUFD may be technically correct.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

er
    that's it

The whole SPotY shortlist was daft. As you say, Raheem Sterling was not England's top scorer at Euro 2020 and nor did he feed any starving schoolchildren. SPotY was a strangely all-English affair, and even in a record Olympics year, the BBC's choice of Olympians did not extend past the two also known for appearing on television shows.
    Lewis got robbed of the WDC and was therefore dropped from the shortlist. Left them with an all white shortlist. Raheem drafted in. That could have been how it went.
    Raducanu isn't white?
    Don't get the question. What do you mean?
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

No 1 couldn’t - 1 person from outside your household maximum and still 2metres apart
    So you could have socials outside with those not from your household in limited numbers.

This was not a social as such anyway as those in the photo with Boris and Carrie were all civil servants working at No 10
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Ok thanks - not totally clear. But assuming you are right Negative LFT = Not infectious. Which is handy.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Alistair said:

Sunak's trip seems to be getting a bit murkier. No published itinerary, no listing of government business.

Alistair said:

Like I said a while back it was likely a holiday with a ‘meeting’ hurriedly arranged as thin justification/mitigation after the UK media started showing some interest in it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

er
    that's it

The whole SPotY shortlist was daft. As you say, Raheem Sterling was not England's top scorer at Euro 2020 and nor did he feed any starving schoolchildren. SPotY was a strangely all-English affair, and even in a record Olympics year, the BBC's choice of Olympians did not extend past the two also known for appearing on television shows.
    Lewis got robbed of the WDC and was therefore dropped from the shortlist. Left them with an all white shortlist. Raheem drafted in. That could have been how it went.
    Umm, Raducanu?
    Raducanu what?
  • Options
    Actually the No 10 cheese'n'wine garden inbibement was almost certainly within the rules, for the reasons given here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1472653321219493893

It would be very amusing if the trigger for the downfall of Boris were to be one of the rare occasions when he wasn't breaking the rules.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

They lost, pathetically. On penalties, again. Despite being the better team in terms of talent

England is the home of football, with the world’s greatest football league, and now an embarrassment of young footballing skill

We should be expecting to WIN tournaments - like Germany, France, Italy or Spain - not pitifully grateful for a silver medal

It’s this loser attitude that means we lose. When we ditch this attitude, we win. See various English/British teams in rugby, cricket, golf, Olympic sports etc
    On this I have to agree with you. It’s celebrating mediocrity..A gallant loser is still a loser.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,881
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

"Scary Poppins"

It is wildly superior to anything else out there, screenwriting wise. Every third line is a zinger. Amazing

And so many beautifully observed, deliciously horrible characters

West Wing at its peak was like this, in terms of writing, maybe not as good
    You can't make a Tomlette without breaking some Gregs.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Like I said a while back it was likely a holiday with a ‘meeting’ hurriedly arranged when the UK media started showing some interest in it.
    There is no foreign travel ban at present anyway as long as you are vaccinated and test negative
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Why? The purpose was clearly to be out of the way as things fell further apart for Boris and while an awkward vote went through Parliament.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Why is it ‘murky’? We are all still allowed to travel. Even ministers

So he took a holiday, what gives?

I’d say the same if Starmer legged it to the Canaries for Chrimbo. This is permitted
  • Options
    RobD said:

Depends what you mean by infectious period. You are most infectious at the peak, and it would be challenging to infect anyone without kissing them when you are in either tail.
    I was actually wondering what the graph meant by "Infectious Period". Specifically which days it classed as infections.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

Trump talk.😂

We are talking professional sports here. We are celebrating mediocrity.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Like I said a while back it was likely a holiday with a ‘meeting’ hurriedly arranged when the UK media started showing some interest in it.
    There is no foreign travel ban at present anyway as long as you are vaccinated and test negative
    Optics dear boy, optics.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

Yes; and not only did England fail to win, they were only good in two or three matches. Which admittedly is more than usual, but still nothing to get excited about.

Given association football started here, and given we are one of the largest and richest football-playing countries, England should be one of 6-8 countries who would expect to be getting to the final one time in four. What they achieved was slightly better than par. There are hundreds and hundreds of other teams in the UK that have had a better year than 'slightly better than par'.nIt's not limited to international teams, remember.

The Wales rugby union team would have been my favourite for the title. They were rather better than the England football team, I'd say.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

er
    that's it

Raducanu isn't white?
    You said Lewis not being in the shortlist left them with an all white one, but Raducanu isn't white so how can that be true.
  • Options

RobD said:

I was actually wondering what the graph meant by "Infectious Period". Specifically which days it classed as infections.
    There's no firm rule for it. It depends what you are doing as to how infectious you are. It doesn't suddenly turn on after X days, and off again after Y days.
  • Options
    Can Dom let us know what the 4-d chess positioning looks like for Truss being handed the chalice of Lord Frost's old role?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Will you please stop using the phrase "last" and specify the actual fucking year?
    I went months at a time without seeing my family in 2020.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

On this I have to agree with you. It’s celebrating mediocrity..A gallant loser is still a loser.
    It's celebrating a great achievement.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

Yes; and not only did England fail to win, they were only good in two or three matches. Which admittedly is more than usual, but still nothing to get excited about.

Given association football started here, and given we are one of the largest and richest football-playing countries, England should be one of 6-8 countries who would expect to be getting to the final one time in four. What they achieved was slightly better than par. There are hundreds and hundreds of other teams in the UK that have had a better year than 'slightly better than par'.nIt's not limited to international teams, remember.

The Wales rugby union team would have been my favourite for the title. They were rather better than the England football team, I'd say.
    Yes they were but perhaps they couldn’t be there in person 🤔
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

There was a twitter thread showing it was very likely that the party/meeting or whatever wasn't against the legislation because of how it was written. So HYUFD may be technically correct.
    Yes, I have seen that. I accept it's open to interpretation.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

As a paper delivered? I'm sort of thinking that I need to do that (not specific to the Times)
    No, just on Saturdays from the shop.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Actually a handy chart, since if you have been ill and do a positive PCR and a negative LFR it suggests you are no longer infectious
    Yeah it's something that @Nigelb has posted about before, LFTs are really good at knowing when someone is infectious, the false negatives we hear so much about are almost always during non-infectious periods. If you're tracking an infection with daily LFTs it's basically safe to go out the day after your LFT goes negative, though you'd be breaking the law as I would most likely fall on day 6-8 of the isolation period.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

er
    that's it

Raducanu isn't white?
    Your original post implied that Raducanu is white. I’d say she is mixed race.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

There was no foreign travel ban when Osborne went to NYC instead of doing his homework for the pasty tax budget.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

It's celebrating a great achievement.
    You are welcome to see losing as an achievement just as I am welcome to see it as celebrating failure.

I fail to see how,it is ‘’Trump talk’ though. Many sports coaches would say the same.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,521
    Alistair said:

Family holiday.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.
    Yeah, kicking a football vs campaigning about school meals. ABSOLUTELY EQUALLY valid ways of prepping for a football match, do you hear me?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Will you please stop using the phrase "last" and specify the actual fucking year?
    HYUFD, why are you defending this crap? Despite it being abundantly clear the government want to implement another lockdown, your personal red line. And the only thing from stopping them are these photos of the Prime Minister taking the piss out of all of us.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.
    Give over. You love Southgate because he’s a Remoaner Guardian reader, you love the team because they spent half the tournament on one knee

They still lost. Losers should not get medals
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    Leon said:

Utterly irresponsible journalism

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/19/science-clear-case-more-covid-restrictions-overwhelming?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The case for more Covid restrictions is the opposite of “overwhelming”. It is opaque, sketchy, partial and deeply underwhelming

Pathetic Guardian journalists are trying to bully HMG into premature decisions which could deeply fuck up millions of people

Why do they do this? What’s the advantage for the Left?

You are very brave.

Not like that p**** Eadric who hid in a bolthole throughout lockdown one.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

It's actually a burden to win the annual Hampstead crepe tossing contest. You spend the rest of the year getting bugged for autographs and selfies. Better to go out in the semis.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Yeah it's something that @Nigelb has posted about before, LFTs are really good at knowing when someone is infectious, the false negatives we hear so much about are almost always during non-infectious periods. If you're tracking an infection with daily LFTs it's basically safe to go out the day after your LFT goes negative, though you'd be breaking the law as I would most likely fall on day 6-8 of the isolation period.
    Provided the sample is properly taken, of course, which isn't always the case. But, yes, LFTs are really useful for risk reduction, which is exactly what this is about. The absolutist position of the US and elsewhere, that because LFTs aren't perfect they are useless, is a classic category error.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.
    No, he’s right,

Do you think Sir Alex Ferguson would Have been happy had Man Utd finished second in the premier league rather than winning it ? Of course he wouldn’t he’d be driving his team to win.

We celebrate mediocrity and plucky losers in this country. We should want to be winners not satisfied with being a plucky loser.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,118
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

It’s sad that the preconceptions of a subset of the medical community put the kybosh on much greater use of lateral flow testing earlier. Yes PCR are more accurate, but they are often informing that someone has had Covid, long after they stop being infectious. In terms of controlling disease, knowing when someone is infectious is the most important thing.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

It's actually a burden to win the annual Hampstead crepe tossing contest. You spend the rest of the year getting bugged for autographs and selfies. Better to go out in the semis.
    I’m sure when you’re tossing a semi is a distinct disadvantage.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD, why are you defending this crap? Despite it being abundantly clear the government want to implement another lockdown, your personal red line. And the only thing from stopping them are these photos of the Prime Minister taking the piss out of all of us.
    There is no evidence Boris, Sunak and Truss want another lockdown even if civil servants do
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

Yes, but it does gain you entry to the big money Champions League Crepe Tossing contest.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Optics dear boy, optics.
    Optics pushed by leftwingers desperate to lock us down again and ban foreign travel and once again expand the power of the state at the expense of small business and the private sector?
  • Options
    Sources in devolved administrations have privately been complaining about PM not chairing COBRA with them this week- now Nicola Sturgeon has aired her irritation: “It was disappointing and frustrating that neither the PM nor the Chancellor attended this evening’s COBRA.”

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1472688703898361856?s=20
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

There is no evidence Boris wants another lockdown even if civil servants do
    Is there any evidence civil servants do?
    Their job is to prepare for all eventualities. Which includes planning for a lockdown.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.
    No, he’s right,

Do you think Sir Alex Ferguson would Have been happy had Man Utd finished second in the premier league rather than winning it ? Of course he wouldn’t he’d be driving his team to win.

We celebrate mediocrity and plucky losers in this country. We should want to be winners not satisfied with being a plucky loser.
    For a few weeks this summer, the England football team put a smile on my face and restored a bit of lost innocence to us all. That they lost in the end by a whisker is of little relevance to what they really achieved. Namely, letting a depressed nation build some positive shared memories of cheering, singing and dancing with friends, family and children.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800
    On today's COVID case numbers.

Are they having trouble turning around tests? The number seems a little low considering we're in the phase when Omicron growth is increasingly the becoming the dominant signal over and above any dilution by Delta.

Taking the by report date numbers, today's is no higher relative to last Sunday than was Thursday vs last Thursday. The multiplier should be higher.

That doesn't make sense yet even for a rapid wave - even like for like with Gauteng. And any deceleration of case increases in London should be countered by acceleration elsewhere.

The rate of acceleration is such that reporting date wobbles should be pretty well ironed out, even steamrollered.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

I’d say the same if Starmer legged it to the Canaries for Chrimbo. This is permitted
    Because when asked about it the Treasury said it was a series of essential meetings with business leaders and he was working flat out.

If he was on holidays why didn't they just say so. Just like Boris it's not the act, it's the arse covering cover up that is interesting.
  • Options

Sources in devolved administrations have privately been complaining about PM not chairing COBRA with them this week- now Nicola Sturgeon has aired her irritation: “It was disappointing and frustrating that neither the PM nor the Chancellor attended this evening’s COBRA.”

Can't she just offer to play twister against him and bring some Chablis and nibbles?
  • Options
    Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.
    No, he’s right,

It's a nonsense. It's shallow macho false binary drivel pipe talk. We hadn't made a big footie final in forever. It was a great achievement to finally do so and worth celebrating. Team of the year is apt. It doesn't mean we settle for it. Indeed it raises expectations from now on. All good.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

You miss the point so often, it is hard to believe it is not deliberate.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021

Can Dom let us know what the 4-d chess positioning looks like for Truss being handed the chalice of Lord Frost's old role?

This whole thing is starting to remind me of the opening scene from the Dark Knight....where they rob the bank.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976

That seems a bit..odd? Or has Boris giving up all pretence of caring / doing job/ leading
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.
    No, he’s right,

For a few weeks this summer, the England football team put a smile on my face and restored a bit of lost innocence to us all. That they lost in the end by a whisker is of little relevance to what they really achieved. Namely, letting a depressed nation build some positive shared memories of cheering, singing and dancing with friends, family and children.
    I mainly remember the twin humiliations of a multi billionaire football team “taking the knee” to respect an alliance of Marxist race-baiting bullshitters, and an England fan shoving a firework up his arse in Leicester Square at about 9am, on coke
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.
    No, he’s right,

I mainly remember the twin humiliations of a multi billionaire football team “taking the knee” to respect an alliance of Marxist race-baiting bullshitters, and an England fan shoving a firework up his arse in Leicester Square at about 9am, on coke
    A succinct summary of your online persona there. Well done.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.
    No, he’s right,

A succinct summary of your online persona there. Well done.
    Thanx
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

The Welsh Rugby side fluked their way to the spawniest of titles in the history of the Championship.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111

This whole thing is starting to remind me of the opening scene from the Dark Knight....where they rob the bank.
    Taking of which I am going to reboot myself with a grittier backstory.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Liz Truss confirms she is no longer a republican 'part of our success is the constitutional monarchy that supports a free democracy ' as she shows more leg to Tory members

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1534760/Liz-Truss-BBC-Republican-Monarchy-Queen-Nick-Robinson-VN
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.
    Give over. You love Southgate because he’s a Remoaner Guardian reader, you love the team because they spent half the tournament on one knee

They still lost. Losers should not get medals
    I think the greater truth is you hate him and the team because of that. Nobody does more culture war than you. Indeed I recall you saying you wanted them to flop because of the Knee. It was perhaps your worst post on here apart from some of the other ones.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Why ?

That's drivel. Stop it.
    No, he’s right,

It's a nonsense. It's shallow macho false binary drivel pipe talk. We hadn't made a big footie final in forever. It was a great achievement to finally do so and worth celebrating. Team of the year is apt. It doesn't mean we settle for it. Indeed it raises expectations from now on. All good.
    ‘Shallow macho false binary drivel pipe talk’

😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Are they having trouble turning around tests? The number seems a little low considering we're in the phase when Omicron growth is increasingly the becoming the dominant signal over and above any dilution by Delta.

Taking the by report date numbers, today's is no higher relative to last Sunday than was Thursday vs last Thursday. The multiplier should be higher.

That doesn't make sense yet even for a rapid wave - even like for like with Gauteng. And any deceleration of case increases in London should be countered by acceleration elsewhere.

The rate of acceleration is such that reporting date wobbles should be pretty well ironed out, even steamrollered.

Scotland had an asterix next to case numbers saying the volume of tests is causing backlog problems.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

It's Sunday. While the weekend effect is not as pronounced as for deaths, there is one.

It is Omicron that is growing, not Delta. Hopefully the figures show that Delta is becoming out-competed, as in South Africa.

Also it seems that positive tests ate only a small proportion of the actual infections, which will introduce random effects.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,090
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Because when asked about it the Treasury said it was a series of essential meetings with business leaders and he was working flat out.

If he was on holidays why didn't they just say so. Just like Boris it's not the act, it's the arse covering cover up that is interesting.
    The conspiracy theory is that he was meeting US healthcare companies to discuss selling them [parts of] the NHS.

No idea if that is true, but if it was he certainly wouldn't want to tell people.
This discussion has been closed.