Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

If this narrative takes hold then Boris Johnson is doomed – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2021 in General
If this narrative takes hold then Boris Johnson is doomed – politicalbetting.com

"You're finished"Boris Johnson faces furious heckles as Conservative MP @William_Wragg accuses the PM of calling a press conference to announce new Covid restrictions as a "diversionary tactic" to deflect from the Christmas Party scandal. pic.twitter.com/9vuh9hnEDS

Read the full story here

Comments

• However, Downing Street insiders working in the building that evening have told The Telegraph that an event did take place in the flat that night, which was attended by Mrs Johnson and several of her closest allies.

This newspaper has been given the names of six current and former senior government officials who were alleged to be present, as well as two other people known to be close to Mrs Johnson.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/12/08/day-reckoning-many-heads-will-roll-public-anger-partygate-subsides/?
  • Gone in the morning....gone in the morning....gooooone in the mmmmmmorrrning....he'll be gone in the moooooorrrnnnning.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
    We can but hope.

Unless you live in North Shropshire, in which case you can vote Liberal Democrat and he will be a reluctant Turkish conscript.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    I do hope the site is arranging a peerage, a country estate and a generous pension for the poster, I forget who, who called Hartlepool as Peak Boris.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    I think he'll last longer than the first Test.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,211
    Finished. Exeunt
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,733
    Told tonight by on senior Conservative that more colleagues are joining the band of backbenchers who are refusing to support govt's covid restrictions. MP tells me there's been 'real disquiet about PM’s musings on compulsory vaccination' #PlanB
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1468677339605262342
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Presumably we get Raab as temporary leader if Johnson resigns to spend more time with his party planner.

• Dom is a genius.

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    Well at leaat Boris can write that book about Shakespeare now.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Foxy said:

Presumably we get Raab as temporary leader if Johnson resigns to spend more time with his party planner.

That is a good point re betting purposes for next PM. Would Raab win the bet?
    What is this shit about "Via @Telegraph" when you go to the Telegraph twitter and find a sensational article about the difficulty of gardening on clay? I mean I could post TSE concedes Die Hard Xmas status Via @Telegraph, doesn't mean anything.
  • However, Downing Street insiders working in the building that evening have told The Telegraph that an event did take place in the flat that night, which was attended by Mrs Johnson and several of her closest allies.

This newspaper has been given the names of six current and former senior government officials who were alleged to be present, as well as two other people known to be close to Mrs Johnson.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/12/08/day-reckoning-many-heads-will-roll-public-anger-partygate-subsides/?

Ok. Thanks. I retract my earlier comment to @Scott_P that this story was not on the Telegraph website and didn't exist.
    Foxy said:

Heavens above.

I've suddenly changed my mind on Johnson leaving.

Dom is a genius.

Yes, he will rewrite many blogposts that predicted the opposite to say how he did this.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    If we lock down the country and cancel the by election, we can't lose to the Lib Dems

Reece_Simpson_tapping_side_of_head_looking_smart_feeling_smart.gif
  • MrEd said:

Foxy said:

Temporary or caretaker leaders do not count in the betting markets for next Con leader.

However there is no thing as a temporary or caretaker PM, so in that scenario Raab would win the next PM market.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,723
    edited December 2021
    You need an "If" at the start of the thread I think @TheScreamingEagles

One of those dates last year is my Mums birthday, and we had them (my Parents) round for a takeaway after spending the day in Leigh on Sea - I guess that must have been ok
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    IshmaelZ said:

What is this shit about "Via @Telegraph" when you go to the Telegraph twitter and find a sensational article about the difficulty of gardening on clay? I mean I could post TSE concedes Die Hard Xmas status Via @Telegraph, doesn't mean anything.

That twitter account is just a joke, copying/pasting the stories of others without linking.
    MrEd said:

Foxy said:

No, but being stand in leader (provided he demonstrates competence) may improve his chances in the contest.
  • IshmaelZ said:

There's a link in the thread header, here's the link here as well.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/12/08/day-reckoning-many-heads-will-roll-public-anger-partygate-subsides/
    Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

No, but being stand in leader (provided he demonstrates competence) may improve his chances in the contest.
    Doesn't the outgoing one usually stick around?
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

I would remind people that unlike in Labour the Tory leader remains leader until a new leader is elected. Certainly if they are in office. That even applies if they are ill and an acting leader is in practical charge (Butler, Curzon).

The exception was in 1975 when Heath, shocked and humiliated, asked Robert Carr to chair the Shadow Cabinet until a new leader was elected.
    Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

The bit in brackets is a bit of a handicap, mind.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    "No decisions will be taken without consulting the cabinet."

That wasn't the question from Wragg. It was whether the HoC would be consulted.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

Doesn't the outgoing one usually stick around?
    Boris would take off and leave someone else holding the b... oh
  • Don't forget the 12 foot stepladder is available for those without a Borisgraph subscription
    Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Dominic "the police do not investigate crimes which happened in the past" Raab

Andy_JS said:

"No decisions will be taken without consulting the cabinet."

That wasn't the question from Wragg. It was whether the HoC would be consulted.

They've always voted on the regulations, haven't they?
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

I would remind people that unlike in Labour the Tory leader remains leader until a new leader is elected. Certainly if they are in office. That even applies if they are ill and an acting leader is in practical charge (Butler, Curzon).

The exception was in 1975 when Heath, shocked and humiliated, asked Robert Carr to chair the Shadow Cabinet until a new leader was elected.
    Yes, but that may not be tenable if partygate worsens.
  • The important question from a betting perspective on the next GE is this: how will the Conservative voting coalition be affected by Boris Johnson's replacement?

We know the Labour lead in the polls isn't due to very many (if any) direct Conservative > Labour switchers; instead, it's due to Conservative voters moving to DK/NOTA and some Lib Dem/Reform.

Will a new leader reunite them under his/her banner? Or will they show that Boris truly is the only leader who can reach voters that others can't touch?
    edited December 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

A direct quote from the Met:

The Met said video footage obtained by ITV "does not provide evidence of a breach" of health regulations, adding: "The Metropolitan Police Service has received a significant amount of correspondence relating to allegations reported in the media that the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) Regulations were breached at gatherings at No 10 Downing Street in November and December 2020.

"All this correspondence has been considered by detectives in detail, as well as footage published by ITV News. The correspondence and footage does not provide evidence of a breach of the Health Protection Regulations, but restates allegations made in the media. Based on the absence of evidence and in line with our policy not to investigate retrospective breaches of such Regulations, the Met will not commence an investigation at this time."
  • If I were a Tory MP I'd be sending in a letter to Graham Brady tonight.

This "Plan B" is a disgrace and is adding insult to injury.

Boris has lost it. He has to go.
    RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

The Met said video footage obtained by ITV "does not provide evidence of a breach" of health regulations, adding: "The Metropolitan Police Service has received a significant amount of correspondence relating to allegations reported in the media that the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) Regulations were breached at gatherings at No 10 Downing Street in November and December 2020.

"All this correspondence has been considered by detectives in detail, as well as footage published by ITV News. The correspondence and footage does not provide evidence of a breach of the Health Protection Regulations, but restates allegations made in the media. Based on the absence of evidence and in line with our policy not to investigate retrospective breaches of such Regulations, the Met will not commence an investigation at this time."
    Bloody hell
    IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

Bloody hell
    I too was shocked Raab was actually right about something.

Less shocking was that past crimes would apparently not be investigated.
  • RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

Tough on crime...
  • dixiedean said:

I think he'll last longer than the first Test.

So he'll be gone in the morning then?
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Isabel Oakeshott
    @IsabelOakeshott
    ·
    1h
    Hands up who's taking orders from a clown?
    Time for the #GreatBritishFuckOff

“ Time for the #GreatBritishFuckOff “

I’m not entirely sure what it is, but I want it now.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited December 2021
    Very weird/sad watching Bayern Munich v Barcelona in an empty stadium.

Football without fans is rubbish and heartbreaking.
    RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

Yes officer, I broke the law on drink driving, but in a specific and limited way, and retrospectively.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226

If I were a Tory MP I'd be sending in a letter to Graham Brady tonight.

Well Sunak and Javid are as responsible for Plan B as the PM. Which narrows the field a bit if Tory MPs vote on the same basis as you.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited December 2021

The important question from a betting perspective on the next GE is this: how will the Conservative voting coalition be affected by Boris Johnson's replacement?

We know the Labour lead in the polls isn't due to very many (if any) direct Conservative > Labour switchers; instead, it's due to Conservative voters moving to DK/NOTA and some Lib Dem/Reform.

Will a new leader reunite them under his/her banner? Or will they show that Boris truly is the only leader who can reach voters that others can't touch?

Sunak loses the red wall voters I think, reasonably sure on that. Though he's probably the best leader to hold off the Lib Dems in the SE.
  • Isabel Oakeshott
    @IsabelOakeshott
    ·
    1h

Isn't that the big swingers festival they hold every year?
    IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

Bloody hell
    All those hilarious ironic quips about the Met not investigating stuff from a year ago don't seem so clever all of a sudden!

The point is. It pleases no one. Those of your mind are irate.
    Yet, in reality, what was announced tonight went nowhere near far enough for many. There really was only minor tinkering at the margins.
    If you are going to jump, jump.
    Leading me to conclude this is the dead cat widely predicted as incoming.
    Unfortunately. It is an already putrid one.
  • moonshine said:

Well Sunak and Javid are as responsible for Plan B as the PM. Which narrows the field a bit if Tory MPs vote on the same basis as you.
    My brain wants £5k for Sunak getting the job, but my heart thinks that Truss would be best.
  • RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

Aren't all breaches retrospective, unless you catch them in flagrante?
    RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

And thus laid bare how Cressida Dick keeps her job.

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

They probably mean things occurring more than (say) a few days ago.
    edited December 2021

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

I think that is exactly the approach they have been taking. Raiding places they know to continually break the rules.
  • One Number 10 official who attended the party on December 18 tells the FT: “It was huge, there must have been 40 to 50 people. It was really bad. There was cheese and wine ordered in by Number 10 staff. There was music.”

https://twitter.com/Laura_K_Hughes/status/1468680080687865857
  • https://twitter.com/Laura_K_Hughes/status/1468680080687865857

One Number 10 official who attended the party on December 18 tells the FT: “It was huge, there must have been 40 to 50 people. It was really bad. There was cheese and wine ordered in by Number 10 staff. There was music.”

https://twitter.com/Laura_K_Hughes/status/1468680158127218694

The official said they had also been present during a leaving party in Downing Street for former aide Cleo Watson on November 27, in which Johnson had given a speech.
  • RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

That's the point though. Some regulations the Police only bother with if they are caught in the act. They don't bother with this retrospectively and they've said this since the beginning of the pandemic.
  • Daily Mail website headline currently: "Now do as I say"

LOL. NS is lost.
  • Pulpstar said:

The important question from a betting perspective on the next GE is this: how will the Conservative voting coalition be affected by Boris Johnson's replacement?

Sunak loses the red wall voters I think, reasonably sure on that. Though he's probably the best leader to hold off the Lib Dems in the SE.
    I'm not so sure. I think the Red Wall voters values have permanently shifted. It's more a case of a credible charismatic leader who channels them, which Boris could do because he'd backed Brexit all the way and has an unWokey banter about him, but others could do as well.
    IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

Yes officer, I broke the law on drink driving, but in a specific and limited way, and retrospectively.
    You will observe that since you pulled me over to a stop, I am no longer speeding. And whist paralytic, I am not, at present driving either.
    Thank you.

One Number 10 official who attended the party on December 18 tells the FT: “It was huge, there must have been 40 to 50 people. It was really bad. There was cheese and wine ordered in by Number 10 staff. There was music.”

The official said they had also been present during a leaving party in Downing Street for former aide Cleo Watson on November 27, in which Johnson had given a speech.

Didn't London only go into Tier 3 in December?

Why is a November party relevant? The point is that in December London was in Tier 3 so it was illegal, it wasn't illegal in November was it?
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

Yes, but that may not be tenable if partygate worsens.
    I don't think there is a mechanism for them to do so. The Constitution of the Conservative Party (page 18) makes no provision for an acting leader. The last time a leader died in office without an obvious successor was as long ago as 1828 and so it seems to have simply never arisen. On all other occasions either there was an alternative leader ready or there was a figure in the other house who temporarily became sole leader.

Johnson will remain leader and PM until a replacement is elected even if he is on gardening leave. I'd add there's no certainty Raab would be picked to take charge in those circumstances either. Others are available. William Hague might be asked to come back temporarily, for example.
  • One Number 10 official who attended the party on December 18 tells the FT: “It was huge, there must have been 40 to 50 people. It was really bad. There was cheese and wine ordered in by Number 10 staff. There was music.”

They must go to crap parties if 40 people is huge....

Music? Surely that could have been heard in the loft space of No 10 where the PM's flat is located?

Music? Surely that could have been heard in the loft space of No 10 where the PM's flat is located?

That's the point I made this morning.

Unless Boris Johnson is deaf and blind, given the layout of Downing Street, he must have been aware of a party of 40 or 50.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

I do think that Johnson has a special electoral appeal, but a new leader, with a fresh start, would get a hearing. It would matter what their priorities were.

I'm not the best person to ask what those should be to keep the Johnson coalition together, but I'd imagine that a few early missteps would be enough to fracture the coalition irrevocably.

Pulpstar said:

I'm not so sure. I think the Red Wall voters values have permanently shifted. It's more a case of a credible charismatic leader who channels them, which Boris could do because he'd backed Brexit all the way and has an unWokey banter about him, but others could do as well.
    Arise Sir Nigel

Absolutely right.
  • Pulpstar said:

He won't. He will dole out red wall money to them. Observe https://twitter.com/Matt_VickersMP/status/1466476023902523395
    edited December 2021

I have visions of when parents let their kids throw a party and they stay in their bedroom as kevin the teenager says your not cool and you will ruin it.

Isabel Oakeshott
    @IsabelOakeshott
    ·
    1h

Isn't that the big swingers festival they hold every year?
    I’ve never heard of it 🤷‍♀️

Do you know anything about it Eagles? Are Isabel and Richard regular goers?

I didn't realise Alan Partridge was a Number 10 Official!
    IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

Bloody hell
    What is this "retrospective" nonsense? Ridiculous.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

However, Downing Street insiders working in the building that evening have told The Telegraph that an event did take place in the flat that night, which was attended by Mrs Johnson and several of her closest allies.

Presumably they can’t double source so aren’t printing the names?
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

You will observe that since you pulled me over to a stop, I am no longer speeding. And whist paralytic, I am not, at present driving either.
    Thank you.
    I prefer the Heisenberg response to speeding charges. Do you know how fast you were going, sir? No, officer, because I knew exactly where I was.
  • Barcelona in the Champions League this season:

https://twitter.com/FootballFunnnys/status/1468683322247323653
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,720
    Thank you to Ant & Dec, Gary Neville & Ian Blackford for their much needed political leadership at this time.
    Leon said:

Finished. Exeunt

And that's just the England cricket team in Brisbane.
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

Bloody hell
    More than a few days, probably. Saves them being inundated with claims of so-and-so had a party last month in breach of regulations. How much manpower would it take to investigate those claims, when there are likely far more pressing things to investigate.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087

That's what you're going to get every Winter for the rest of your life with endless cyclical lockdowns. Merry Christmas.

Why is a November party relevant? The point is that in December London was in Tier 3 so it was illegal, it wasn't illegal in November was it?
    5 November - 2 December 2020 was a national lockdown. Stay at home unless it's for essentials;
    https://lordslibrary.parliament.uk/coronavirus-november-lockdown-for-england/

(Roughly, the spring 2020 rules except schools stayed open.)
  • The important question from a betting perspective on the next GE is this: how will the Conservative voting coalition be affected by Boris Johnson's replacement?

I do think that Johnson has a special electoral appeal, but a new leader, with a fresh start, would get a hearing. It would matter what their priorities were.

I'm not the best person to ask what those should be to keep the Johnson coalition together, but I'd imagine that a few early missteps would be enough to fracture the coalition irrevocably.
    I'd focus on delivery: I could see Hunt or Truss resolving NI, ameliorating the rougher edges of Brexit and doing a deal to drastically reduce the channel crossing whilst getting the rhetoric right at the same time. [Btw, I don't think Sunak is the well-rounded politician people think he is.]

So many of Boris's problems simply come down to bad behaviour, laziness and incompetence.

In Tier 2 the rules were that you could only meet inside with people from your household or support bubble.

So yes, illegal as fuck in November.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,720
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 38% (+2)
    CON: 34% (-4)
    LDEM: 11% (+2)
    GRN: 6% (-)
    REFUK: 5% (+1)

via
    @RedfieldWilton
    , 08 Dec
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,701
    pigeon said:

That's what you're going to get every Winter for the rest of your life with endless cyclical lockdowns. Merry Christmas.
    If that is the case then the hospitality industry is well and truly fucked in the cities and towns.
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Finished. Exeunt

And that's just the England cricket team in Brisbane.
    I don't get this at all. A treble figure score and a day lost to rain is at the top end of my hopes and expectations.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

November was when we had a national lockdown (except for schools) for the month, as a pre-Christmas (shopping season) I Can't Believe It's Not A Circuit-Breaker.
    Scott_xP said:

Told tonight by on senior Conservative that more colleagues are joining the band of backbenchers who are refusing to support govt's covid restrictions. MP tells me there's been 'real disquiet about PM’s musings on compulsory vaccination' #PlanB
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1468677339605262342

“ PM’s musings on compulsory vaccination “

That was in the press conference, a young man asked this. “Do you have thoughts to go for compulsory vaccination like some EU states?”

Would have thought it’s a straightforward no, but he warbled on for ages about it.

That’s the problem with Boris, he’s too much of a thinker!

OK, nobody tell the Met...
  • Ironically the tiered system did the square root of fuck all in stopping covid.

That’s the problem with Boris, he’s too much of a thinker!

That's not how you spell wanker...
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,211

Germany has no fans in stadiums?

Bleak
  • Ironically the tiered system did the square root of fuck all in stopping covid.

We are too small a country to have tiers.

I pointed out some of us lived in one tier, worked in another tier, shopped in another tier, and in instance of some of my colleagues had young children living in other tiers.
  • RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

Bloody hell
    More than a few days, probably. Saves them being inundated with claims of so-and-so had a party last month in breach of regulations. How much manpower would it take to investigate those claims, when there are likely far more pressing things to investigate.
    Isn't Chris Huhne a problem here?

Not defending him - he did the crime, he did the time. But he was investigated and convicted almost a decade after the event because he was a cabinet minister and it's important to show such people aren't above the law.

If you went into your local cop shop and said "I took speeding points for my ex in 2012" how much effort do you think they'd put into it? They did it with Huhne because it was important to send that message - and it was a fair cop wasn't it?
  • Leon said:

Germany has no fans in stadiums?

Bleak
    Yup.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10257771/Football-heading-closed-doors-Bayern-Munich-told-play-stadium.html
    If you had to resign over the Downing Street party, you weren’t there —@RobDotHutton's #Sketch https://thecritic.co.uk/sorry-not-sorry/
    edited December 2021

Ironically the tiered system did the square root of fuck all in stopping covid.

We are too small a country to have tiers.

I pointed out some of us lived in one tier, worked in another tier, shopped in another tier, and in instance of some of my colleagues had young children living in other tiers.
    You didn't need to be a genius to work this out...and that of course people will travel to other areas for a night out etc.

Thank you to Ant & Dec, Gary Neville & Ian Blackford for their much needed political leadership at this time.

Sorry, mate, but Starmer was faultless today. Implicitly aligning himself with HMQ against Boris as showing leadership was masterly.
This discussion has been closed.