Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If this narrative takes hold then Boris Johnson is doomed – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    moonshine said:

Starmer was really good this morning. Serious, considered, oozed the disdain we are all feeling (excl HFYUD). The problem is, every time he has to make a call on policy he gets it wrong. By this evening he’s already lost my vote again by unthinkingly backing new NPI without proper interrogation of why extraordinary measures are necessary, their value to health outcomes and their wider costs to society. So my vote is now up for grabs outside of the big 2.
    He's got a golden opportunity to defeat the government or extract a pound of flesh like economic support for his voters if he were to vote for the government, and he's pissing it away.

Opportunities like this don't come around often. Blair wouldn't have made such a schoolboy error. Blair backed the Maastricht Treaty but found any excuse to vote against in divisions despite that in order to help tear the government apart and exploit divisions. Starmer would just waltz through the divisions without pausing to think it seems.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,747
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Unpopular opinion: as soon as Boris goes - like, within about 3 weeks - lots of people will miss him, a lot

For all his manifold flaws - which are now destroying him - he cheered people. Made them smile. That's what we will miss. I once read in a book by that awful Tom Knox dude that "the friends you miss most are the friends that made you laugh". It is true. And Boris was that person for plenty of Britons

Instead it will be Boring Kir Royale Starmer versus boring Rishi Sunak or Michael Gove or whoever, and it will all seem terribly grey and dull. And we will mourn

We will not.
    I have friends who make me laugh. I do not require that from my PM, particularly when it’s tinged with contempt.
    TBH Nigel, minor public schoolboys such as yourself are not the demographic I was referring to
  • Options

Have we underestimated Starmer?

Tonight he looks and sounds like the PM in waiting as this government self destructs.

Starmer would still have a lot of waiting to do. Even if BoJo does self-combust (what conversations are happening in the flat at No 10 tonight? Is it like Maggie and Dennis on 21 November 1990?), there will still be a Conservative majority of 80 with no wish to go to the country.

Don't have nightmares, everybody.
  • Options
    Looking forward to this weekend's polls.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    Leon said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

AFAICT, it is masks in theatres, cinemas, night clubs and footy grounds.
    And work from home if you can.
    It's hardly totalitarian.
    In fact, it's barely different.

The problem, of course, is that we have been here before - and, when the Prime Minister says that the cycle of restrictions can't go on indefinitely, either people simply don't believe that (or anything else he says,) or they interpret not indefinitely as meaning it might stop in a hundred years' time.

Even amongst those of us who think, logically, that lockdowns are a thing of the past because too many people won't obey them and the country can't afford the damage, it's hard not to harbour the fear and suspicion that one more dodgy computer model is all it's going to take to tip the Government into full panic mode. I can hardly help but worry that everything I've so far planned for the New Year is going to be cancelled, and there's consequently no point in booking anything else.

Covid is taking the form of an endless series of crises, the response to which is always exactly the same. More rules and more restrictions. If rules are applied and they seem to achieve nothing then that's taken as evidence that tighter rules are needed; if rules are applied and they seem to do something then the demand comes for tighter rules so that they will be even more effective. Either way, it's no wonder that so many people are now frightened that Winter 2022 is going to be a straight repetition of Winter 2021 and that the only non-forbidden activities outside of the home will be going to work if you can't do so from home, grocery shopping and taking a dismal, freezing cold walk in some shitty park. Again. Rinse and repeat for Winter 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2026.

It was reported a few days ago that an ONS survey revealed that one in six adults in the UK now believes that this is it: perpetual cycles of mask wearing, testing, distancing and periodic lockdowns are all we have to look forward to. That this is how life is going to be forever. I would imagine, after today, that the figure will be considerably higher. People are giving up, and who can honestly blame them?
    I did try to warn you this was coming, that the OMICRON was gonna freak everyone out. You loudly chortled
    Meanwhile South Africa appears to be what exactly? Omicron has become the dominant variant and there does not yet appear to be a lot of severe cases. Nearing two weeks since it was first identified - and how long had it been around before then?
    For balance, a thread which supports your optimistic take

"1 of 6:

Gauteng #Omicron update - 8 December:

The load on hospitals is significantly lower compared to Delta, and with a peak imminent, hospitals will not be overloaded at all.

No restrictions are needed to help hospitals in any way."

https://twitter.com/pieterstreicher/status/1468652410637799437?s=20

NB I have never said that Omicron was going to be the Black Death. My focus has always been on the way governments instantly responded to the info, the UK closing the border, Israel quarantining the entire nation, Javid visibly crapping himself on Sky News. That told me that the REACTION to Omicron (at that point unnamed) would be drastic. And so it is.

We still don't know how serious Omicron REALLY is, and the data is endlessly conflicting
    Fair enough, but as I have implied before your weakness is that you don’t seem to grasp the concept of complex adaptive systems.

There is simply no such thing as a closed network.

So by panicking every night on PB - and often being eloquent with it, which makes it more potent - you serve to increase the general panic.

That panic filters through.

In some small way, you yourself have contributed to the advent of Plan B.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There were no extra restrictions announced tonight or any new lockdowns, all that was asked was a perfectly reasonable requirement for vaccine passports for nightclubs and large events and masks to be worn in cinemas and theatres.

As for Labour's mere 4% poll lead, even Ed Miliband and Kinnock got far bigger leads than that midterm, let alone Blair

Your problem is that every mistake is coming from idiotic levels of thoughtlessness.

Not a lack of thought for the proles (that's a given) but a lack of thought about how damaging these actions will be for themselves.

If that doesn't stop then you will keep losing support.

Someone needs to start saying No to Boris and Boris needs to start saying No to Carrie.

And if they don't they have to go - responsibility is required now not a pair of spoilt brats.
    Boris was not even at this party, this is just attacks by the left liberal media to get rid of him.

The level of treachery by some backbencher MPs who owe their seats to Boris makes me as angry as the traitors who got rid of Maggie, our greatest leader since Churchill. We had to wait until Boris to get an election victory of the size she won.

I am furious tonight and if these traitors think they can get rid of Boris with no consequences they have another thing coming.

You don't get it do you? It is not about being at the party, it is about lying about the party that broke the rules. And this is the tip of the iceberg of endless lies and abuse of rules and conventions that the rest of us follow.
    From liberal non conservatives like you who are desperate to get rid of Boris because he beat you, not just narrowly but by the biggest margin since Maggie. You fear him as you feared her because he beat you and you want him out as you wanted her out because they are winners and you want losers to replace them!
    You need to put down your keyboard and have a cup of tea and maybe a rich tea biscuit
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    HYUFD said:

There were no extra restrictions announced tonight or any new lockdowns, all that was asked was a perfectly reasonable requirement for vaccine passports for nightclubs and large events and masks to be worn in cinemas and theatres.

But what about next week? And the week after that?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Starmer was really good this morning. Serious, considered, oozed the disdain we are all feeling (excl HFYUD). The problem is, every time he has to make a call on policy he gets it wrong. By this evening he’s already lost my vote again by unthinkingly backing new NPI without proper interrogation of why extraordinary measures are necessary, their value to health outcomes and their wider costs to society. So my vote is now up for grabs outside of the big 2.
    Starmer has no strategic grasp of politics at all. The biggest position he has ever taken is Destroy Democracy, by calling for a 2nd referendum (a fact which may come back to haunt him, badly, if he looks to be close to power)

He's best described as a Woke Remainer Blairite. He is a void. A nullity. He's quite good at lawyerly questioning, because that's his training - just as Boris is good at a pithy little phrase, a joking but erudite reference: that's *his* training

Boris still has the charisma, Starmer has none. At the moment, however, charisma counts for nothing. When the election arrives Starmer's total lack of personal appeal will matter
    Nah.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045

And can someone explain how Allegra Stratton got that job - she looked like total idiot in that clip.

I expect that governments are going to spend millions to make themselves look good.

But its the incompetence which is unacceptable.

And Stratton was clearly incompetent.

Come on Richard. It was a leaked video. Did you think it was an actual press conference?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As for Labour's mere 4% poll lead, even Ed Miliband and Kinnock got far bigger leads than that midterm, let alone Blair

Your problem is that every mistake is coming from idiotic levels of thoughtlessness.

Not a lack of thought for the proles (that's a given) but a lack of thought about how damaging these actions will be for themselves.

Someone needs to start saying No to Boris and Boris needs to start saying No to Carrie.

And if they don't they have to go - responsibility is required now not a pair of spoilt brats.
    Boris was not even at this party, this is just attacks by the left liberal media to get rid of him.

The level of treachery by some backbencher MPs who owe their seats to Boris makes me as angry as the traitors who got rid of Maggie, our greatest leader since Churchill. We had to wait until Boris to get an election victory of the size she won.

I am furious tonight and if these traitors think they can get rid of Boris with no consequences they have another thing coming.

Essex Man Invades CCHQ in Home-Made Tank
    Metropolitan police today arrested an Essex man after he tried to invade CCHQ in what officers described as a "home-made tank". The man, who has not yet been named by police, was arrested in St James Park after fleeing on foot. Witnesses described how he was driving a "1980s style Rover Metro, covered in what looked like baking foil". After his vehicle became stuck on railings, he apparently climbed out of the sunroof, and ran off in the direction of Queen Annes Gate, threatening terrified passers-by with a spatula.
    A Met Police spokeswoman said "luckily the man was calmed down by a member of the public and, since he was apparently naked, offered the use of a coat before our officers arrived."
    One shudders to think what "use" that "he" made of the (allegedly innocent) coat?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116

Johnson won GE19 because of Corbyn and I am every day more and more sure of this

Corbyn was one factor for sure, but there were others. Many voters were thoroughly hacked off with the shenanigans of parliamentarians over Brexit. There was an appetite to get it done. Plus Johnson is able to fool people at the start. Not everyone of course, but to a lot of people he seemed kinda fun, and optimistic etc. He will let you down of course, but it was enough to get him over the line and some.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

So my terminology has been justly criticised, but has anyone any idea who might be the stalking horse, if one is needed, to bring down Boris?

I think it'd need to be someone stupid enough to think they were a candidate rather than a stalking horse, so maybe Gavin?

As far as I’m aware, it doesn’t work like that anymore. The 1922 has to get the letters and the VONC has to pass first before a leadership election can take place.

I could conceivably (just) see the letters going in if there are a few more days of drip-drip. Not sure I see a VONC passing at this stage. Although I don’t doubt a number of Tory MPs are angry, I don’t think we’ve quite reached tipping point yet. But give it time. There might be more to come.
    Bear in mind we are approaching Christmas. This year has been odd because it doesn't really feel like businesses are slowing down for the break but we will get there and, once people are focused on Christmas, then most people will be distracted by their usual Christmas chores and everything else.

If BJ can get through to next Friday, he is probably safer for a lot longer than you think.
    Until parliament starts again in January.

The problem with a PM who is lazy and habitually ignores rules, codes and conventions is that he will lead a government in near-permanent crisis.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243

And can someone explain how Allegra Stratton got that job - she looked like total idiot in that clip.

I expect that governments are going to spend millions to make themselves look good.

She got the job because she's the wife of Rishi Sunak's best man and Boris Johnson demanded she get the job even though she wasn't well suited to it, and indeed proved so poor at it that the entire position was scrapped, after millions had been wasted kitting out the room. Because this is a corrupt oligarchy.
    Oh for the days of Dave’s chumocracy! At least his chums were competent.

I agree with Leon actually. The Greek tragedy is that Boris entered No. 10 with a political greasy pole climber in his bed, rather than a life long and honest confidante that would keep him level. And I suspect he knows it.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

‘ Boris was not even at the party ‘

I do respect you HYUFD. Where You always try to give an answer in any shitstorm.

I’ve got a more genuine question not in anyway just abusive I think. Working on basis Boris is actually telling the truth, hasn’t been to all alleged parties, so how could he truly be sure all rules were followed.

There’s going to be an investigation, into people Boris has appointed, spinners, wonks, comms experts, who are all around him every day of the week, and Boris will know on a first name basis. What questions has Boris been asking himself all week, what investigation has Boris done himself to know the truth for himself about a crisis that may prove fatal to his premiership?

Does Boris have questions to answer now about what investigations he’s been doing into this behind the scenes the last week, so what he now knows himself before a report by someone else?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

SKS team to the rescue

Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting
    ·
    21m
    The heckling of the Health Secretary by his own side this evening was ugly and unnecessary.

We’ve made it clear that Labour will support the measures

*Bold* of Streeting to be calling out others for heckling on the very same day that he was singled out by the speaker during PMQs for just that behaviour, too.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    This package of measures is so clearly lacking when compared to the claimed threat, indeed so clearly tailored to minimise actual impact (no masks in pub or restaurants) that I can only conclude the decision makers ultimately don't believe there's a really serious problem here. They're just playing politics.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

There is a long way to the next GE with lots of twists and turns and nobody can have a clue what government the next GE will result in
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Are there any anti lockdown Labour MPs? It would be interesting to hear from a left-libertarian in our political class.

Clive Lewis is a very open minded fellow.

Any chance of a few words from him?

There isn't any need. Since we never have been locked down. Nor is anyone suggesting it. That's why you're in the pub.
    We are not locked down now.

But we have been locked down. There were several weeks (months?) when the pubs were closed.

The pubs were closed for weeks. In England. A country built upon pubs! Closed. Closed!

If that’s not lockdown, I don’t know what is.
    A lockdown is needing to text the police to leave your house. Which is enforced. Pubs shut is closed pubs.
    Pubs shut is a lockdown.

Needing to text the Police to leave your house is house arrest.

This is the problem with having lockdown last year, we've moved the Overton Window so disgustingly far that people are OK with draconian lockdown measures and think they're not even a form of lockdown.
    I think I did say at the very start that I was amazed how easily people swallowed lockdown. Even though I more or less complied, I was disappointed that it was just nodded through as if it were no big deal
  • Options

So my terminology has been justly criticised, but has anyone any idea who might be the stalking horse, if one is needed, to bring down Boris?

I think it'd need to be someone stupid enough to think they were a candidate rather than a stalking horse, so maybe Gavin?

Those rules haven't existed for 22 years now. It's amazing how much of a political imprint they've left on the popular memory.
  • Options

She got the job because she's the wife of Rishi Sunak's best man and Boris Johnson demanded she get the job even though she wasn't well suited to it, and indeed proved so poor at it that the entire position was scrapped, after millions had been wasted kitting out the room. Because this is a corrupt oligarchy.
    Not sure it was scrapped because Allegra was shit. More like once Lea Caines had been booted out of No 10 when Dom went, no one in the place thought it was a good idea anymore to have a televised shitshow of questions about Johnson's lies every single evening of the week.
  • Options

Johnson won GE19 because of Corbyn and I am every day more and more sure of this

Corbyn was one factor for sure, but there were others. Many voters were thoroughly hacked off with the shenanigans of parliamentarians over Brexit. There was an appetite to get it done. Plus Johnson is able to fool people at the start. Not everyone of course, but to a lot of people he seemed kinda fun, and optimistic etc. He will let you down of course, but it was enough to get him over the line and some.
    If he'd been up against Starmer I think he'd have barely got over the line, it was Corbyn that did that
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You don't get it do you? It is not about being at the party, it is about lying about the party that broke the rules. And this is the tip of the iceberg of endless lies and abuse of rules and conventions that the rest of us follow.
    I really do feel sorry for HFUYD. That level of blind loyalty will only end in tears - particularly when Boris throws everyone under the bus.

Boris won a large majority because it was the only chance for Brexit to “be completed” (whatever that means). He’s served that purpose - and now proving to be absolutely useless
    There is nobody else who would have won the RedWall as Boris did or the size of victory Boris did, if he is forced out the traitors who do so will find Boris loyalists prepare their own equivalent of Momentum to retake the party.

Take a rest
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Starmer has no strategic grasp of politics at all. The biggest position he has ever taken is Destroy Democracy, by calling for a 2nd referendum (a fact which may come back to haunt him, badly, if he looks to be close to power)

He's best described as a Woke Remainer Blairite. He is a void. A nullity. He's quite good at lawyerly questioning, because that's his training - just as Boris is good at a pithy little phrase, a joking but erudite reference: that's *his* training

Boris still has the charisma, Starmer has none. At the moment, however, charisma counts for nothing. When the election arrives Starmer's total lack of personal appeal will matter
    Nah.
    Whenever someone says "Nah" it always means they are slightly rattled by what they see as a meaningful point which they nonetheless dislike quite intensely

I know this because I used to do it myself. If someone said something probably perceptive but definitely irksome: NAH
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

From liberal non conservatives like you who are desperate to get rid of Boris because he beat you, not just narrowly but by the biggest margin since Maggie. You fear him as you feared her because he beat you and you want him out as you wanted her out because they are winners and you want losers to replace them!
    It's a win-win for lefties like us. Either he stays and his rotting corpse poisons the well of Conservatism for a generation. Or he gets replaced by someone less gifted at winning elections. You Tories were so thirsty for power that you embraced the FLSOJ when you all knew he was a lying corrupt scumbag unfit for high office. Karma's a bitch.
  • Options
    The liberal media really do hate Boris.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937

No, otherwise May would have won a landslide against Corbyn in 2019 too, she didn't, she only won most seats. It was only Boris able to beat Corbyn by a landslide margin and win over the Redwall
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Nah.
    Whenever someone says "Nah" it always means they are slightly rattled by what they see a meaningful point which they nonetheless dislike quite intensely

I know this because I used to do it myself. If someone said something probably perceptive but definitely irksome: NAH
    Eh?
  • Options

He is stuck now in the pincher movement...
  • Options
    Do we know how the Christmas party story came out? It's pretty great timing, before the next Christmas so it's topical and right before a potential new lockdown.

Loads of hacks must have known about it the whole time so why now?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

Leon said:

Leon said:

Unpopular opinion: as soon as Boris goes - like, within about 3 weeks - lots of people will miss him, a lot

For all his manifold flaws - which are now destroying him - he cheered people. Made them smile. That's what we will miss. I once read in a book by that awful Tom Knox dude that "the friends you miss most are the friends that made you laugh". It is true. And Boris was that person for plenty of Britons

Instead it will be Boring Kir Royale Starmer versus boring Rishi Sunak or Michael Gove or whoever, and it will all seem terribly grey and dull. And we will mourn

Isn't that precisely his problem? That he isn't funny any more? The joke got old, the meme got stale.
    Maybe, but when a great comedian passes into oblivion, you don't remember their dud gigs at the end, you remember their heyday, and you reminisce fondly

Also Boris will be gone, if he goes, for having a party. It befits the Merry Monarch. This is not Blair, who went for illegally invading a country and killing half a million people and upending global stability forever
    "Great comedian"? He's not Bob Monkhouse. He's some prick who made people chuckle briefly by stammering and ruffling his hair, but then shat himself and flung it at the audience.
    Like Chubby Brown without the wit.
  • Options

WfH is going to work, just remotely and you cannot go to parties at nightclubs etc without vaccination passports.

It was also not the Telegraph who won the RedWall in 2019, it was Boris
  • Options
    The Telegraph, one of his last friends.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Channel 4 will broadcast the Formula One season finale live on Sunday after reaching a deal with Sky to share the television rights.

The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be winner-takes-all for Lewis Hamilton, 36, and Max Verstappen, 24, with the pair level on points in the drivers’ standings. It will be a record eighth title for the Englishman if he wins.

Sky has the rights to show all the races live, while Channel 4 is normally limited to a highlights package, though does broadcast the British Grand Prix live. The Times understands that a deal has been reached in which the satellite broadcaster will share the rights to Sunday’s race.

Channel 4 will do a 30-minute pre-race show and will then switch to Sky’s commentary for the race, which will be followed by another 30-minute show with the Channel 4 team. The terrestrial channel will still air its highlights programme. A deal is expected to be announced on Thursday.
    ]

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/channel-4-to-show-lewis-hamilton-v-max-verstappen-formula-one-finale-in-abu-dhabi-6rlkbvbv0

Good news, not sure why Sky would have agreed to it though.
    Amazon did the same with Channel 4 on the US Open women's tennis final. Two reasons:

1. Goodwill - you seem "nice" for doing it and the marginal upside for not sharing the rights is minimal (most people who are interested in F1 will already have Sky);

2. You might get extra customers - kind of contradicts the last part of 1 but it's effectively a marketing tool for SKy. "Look at how exciting F1 is. We must subscribe to Sky"
    3. It removes pressure for the sport discussed to end up on the Listed and Designated Events list which would mean it can't be shown commercially behind a paywall anymore.
    True although F1 is not really seen as one of the "must have" FTA sports.
    When so much of the population is within easy reach of a bridge over a local motorway, what would be the point?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,072

MrEd said:

As far as I’m aware, it doesn’t work like that anymore. The 1922 has to get the letters and the VONC has to pass first before a leadership election can take place.

I could conceivably (just) see the letters going in if there are a few more days of drip-drip. Not sure I see a VONC passing at this stage. Although I don’t doubt a number of Tory MPs are angry, I don’t think we’ve quite reached tipping point yet. But give it time. There might be more to come.
    Bear in mind we are approaching Christmas. This year has been odd because it doesn't really feel like businesses are slowing down for the break but we will get there and, once people are focused on Christmas, then most people will be distracted by their usual Christmas chores and everything else.

If BJ can get through to next Friday, he is probably safer for a lot longer than you think.
    Until parliament starts again in January.

The problem with a PM who is lazy and habitually ignores rules, codes and conventions is that he will lead a government in near-permanent crisis.
    Until today I thought that Johnson would be able to shrug his temporary troubles off and things would settle down, but I think that there's no guiding purpose to his government now, and so there's nothing that can divert a media pack that sense weakness. In retrospect I think the key turning point was holing his levelling-up policy below the waterline with the cancellation of HS2 East. It means the government is simply marking time.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

This package of measures is so clearly lacking when compared to the claimed threat, indeed so clearly tailored to minimise actual impact (no masks in pub or restaurants) that I can only conclude the decision makers ultimately don't believe there's a really serious problem here. They're just playing politics.

OR they believe there is a serious problem, but it is so serious no lockdown can really help, so here's a gesture to satisfy the critics

Both are plausible
  • Options
    Is HYUFD being paid by Tory HQ now? He's usually quite level-headed
  • Options
    Sun..

• Options

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It's a win-win for lefties like us. Either he stays and his rotting corpse poisons the well of Conservatism for a generation. Or he gets replaced by someone less gifted at winning elections. You Tories were so thirsty for power that you embraced the FLSOJ when you all knew he was a lying corrupt scumbag unfit for high office. Karma's a bitch.
    Getting rid of Boris would be as fatal as getting rid of Blair was for Labour.

The 2 are the dominant PMs and election winners since Thatcher
  • Options

moonshine said:

He's got a golden opportunity to defeat the government or extract a pound of flesh like economic support for his voters if he were to vote for the government, and he's pissing it away.

Opportunities like this don't come around often. Blair wouldn't have made such a schoolboy error. Blair backed the Maastricht Treaty but found any excuse to vote against in divisions despite that in order to help tear the government apart and exploit divisions. Starmer would just waltz through the divisions without pausing to think it seems.
    Possibly so, although we should consider the alternative proposition that a PM reliant upon the opposition to out-vote the enemies on his own side is generally in a very bad spot.
  • Options
    People will miss Johnson? LOL, like they miss Trump.

We will all sigh a collective relief that things are going back to being boring again
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    HYUFD said:

No, otherwise May would have won a landslide against Corbyn in 2019 too, she didn't, she only won most seats. It was only Boris able to beat Corbyn by a landslide margin and win over the Redwall
    …and Brexit was on the line.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Don't be such a twit, everyone beats us LDs. Getting rid of Boris isn't going to change that is it. Good grief even May achieved it. Boris is our best chance of picking up seats in the South.
  • Options
    Leon said:

maaarsh said:

OR they believe there is a serious problem, but it is so serious no lockdown can really help, so here's a gesture to satisfy the critics

Both are plausible
    They appear to be the only ones in the world with that view currently. Pfizer confirmed you've better protected against O with a booster than you were against delta with 2 jabs, and markets are near record highs. The panic only seems to exist in this country, and given the screamingly obvious reason for them to be playing politics right now, it feels a much more plausible explanation.

Even if your alternative is right, restriction for the sake of appearing to do something without any expectation it will make any difference is still playing politics.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD, you're the loyalist's loyalist. I sometimes imagine you standing all night for guard duty in a sentry box, stiffening your sinews against the cold and wind with a brandy or two.

The only guard still there in the morning.
  • Options
    DeepMind's 230 billion parameter Gopher model sets a new state-of the-art on our benchmark of 57 knowledge areas.

They also claim to have a supervised model that gets 63.4% on the benchmark's professional law task--in many states, that's accurate enough to pass the bar exam!

https://twitter.com/DanHendrycks/status/1468636880950349831?s=20
  • Options
    Leon said:

maaarsh said:

Both are plausible
    Or, CMO and SAGE wanted a lot more, but Javid and Johnson said no right up until the moment Johnson needed a cat for the table. This was seen as the bare minimum sized moggy that might divert Ant and Dec.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

WfH is going to work, just remotely and you cannot go to parties at nightclubs etc without vaccination passports.

It was also not the Telegraph who won the RedWall in 2019, it was Boris
    WFH is staying to work. Not going. That's a ridiculous semantic quibble you make.

If that is the level of argument you have, that is very revealing.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No. You want him gone because you fear him, because - as you say - he wins elections. He has that instinct

The Tories have no one else with that natural ability. Sunak is a weird elf, Truss is who?, Gove Jesus Christ, Raab lol, the cupboard is empty

Counterfactual: Boris survives this, he can survive anything, he then goes on to win in 2024 quite comfortablt against the tedious Starmer who has used all his ammo and also relies on the Scot Nats

This scenario is much less likely than it was 72 hours ago, but not impossible

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    HYUFD said:

There is nobody else who would have won the RedWall as Boris did or the size of victory Boris did

I do actually agree with you on that.

The problem for the Conservatives is that Boris isn't going to be able to repeat that, in retrospect, stunning feat of assembling that particular electoral coalition; nor will any other potential leader; nor have they yet identified a new coalition that will compensate for the South-East seeping away and the Red Wall being disappointed in his lockdown-breaking antics.
  • Options

HYUFD, you're the loyalist's loyalist. I sometimes imagine you standing all night in a sentry box, stiffening your sinews against the cold with a brandy or two.

Stiffening his what?
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

moonshine said:

The argument is just laughable.

We face a terrifying existential threat to the NHS. So we're going to introduce the annoying failed policies of Wales & Scotland.

There's just a total imbalance between the rhetoric and the plan.
    The continuing blind insistence that homemade or paper face masks are an effective and vital health intervention, when they've so obviously achieved nothing in the rest of the UK (Wales and Northern Ireland's case rates are broadly similar to England's; Scotland seems to be doing a little better but was worse off earlier in the Autumn IIRC,) is perplexing. And vaxports are probably only going to be truly effective if you hit the refusers where it really hurts: in their wallets. Making proof of vaccination necessary to continue in employment or access benefits would literally starve them into submission.

Interventions that are made purely for show are worse than useless, damaging confidence, mental health and livelihoods to no useful effect.
  • Options

Come on Richard. It was a leaked video. Did you think it was an actual press conference?
    No, I knew it was a trial run for what a press conference would be.

But if you take someone of any profession you don't expect them to look like a fuckwit when doing their job.

You expect a basic level of competence and Stratton didn't have it.

She looked like she needed months of training to possibly become competent.

Now that's fine if you're taking on an office junior but not if you're paying the going rate of a finished professional.
  • Options
    I maintain that it was Corbyn's unpopularity that won Johnson GE19.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894

If he'd been up against Starmer I think he'd have barely got over the line, it was Corbyn that did that
    Complete nonsense.
  • Options

The Telegraph, one of his last friends.

To be honest Heath (who iirc is Sunday Telegraph editor) has been pouring shit over Johnson for weeks if not months, mainly about the economy and tax.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I really do feel sorry for HFUYD. That level of blind loyalty will only end in tears - particularly when Boris throws everyone under the bus.

Boris won a large majority because it was the only chance for Brexit to “be completed” (whatever that means). He’s served that purpose - and now proving to be absolutely useless
    There is nobody else who would have won the RedWall as Boris did or the size of victory Boris did, if he is forced out the traitors who do so will find Boris loyalists prepare their own equivalent of Momentum to retake the party.

Take a rest
    I'd love to know where this army of Boris loyalists are preparing to retake the Party?

Other than HYUFD is there a single person here that is a 'Boris loyalist'? I've been accused of it in the past, but I'm calling for letters to go in to Graham Brady.

And HYUFD himself we all know will go in for reprogramming and be a blind loyalist to the next leader anyway, even if its Liz Truss, just as he's been a blind loyalist for every party leader ever.

So where are these 'loyalists'?
    Only a third of 2019 Tory voters want Boris to go on the polling today, given you voted for Blair twice you are hardly a typical Tory voter
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Oh for the days of Dave’s chumocracy! At least his chums were competent.

I agree with Leon actually. The Greek tragedy is that Boris entered No. 10 with a political greasy pole climber in his bed, rather than a life long and honest confidante that would keep him level. And I suspect he knows it.
    Oh please, don't cast Johnson as a kind of budget Macbeth. He hasn't got a lifelong honest confidante in his bed because he's a serial adulterer and a liar. It's that lack of a moral core, the total absence of any kind of decency or integrity, that is destroying him, not his choice of fuck buddy.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Let’s bring him out. HYUFD A kindred spirit.
  • Options

Not sure it was scrapped because Allegra was shit. More like once Lea Caines had been booted out of No 10 when Dom went, no one in the place thought it was a good idea anymore to have a televised shitshow of questions about Johnson's lies every single evening of the week.
    The remarkable thing in such a nest of rogues is how anyone came to the conclusion that setting themselves up to answer the media’s questions was ever a good idea in the first place?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

HYUFD, you're the loyalist's loyalist. I sometimes imagine you standing all night for guard duty in a sentry box, stiffening your sinews against the cold and wind with a brandy or two.

...cos the Generals will have long fled!
  • Options

Frozen solid, given the effect of alcohol on hypothermia.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    Clever headline in the Sun.

You have to hand it to them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest
    I'd love to know where this army of Boris loyalists are preparing to retake the Party?

Other than HYUFD is there a single person here that is a 'Boris loyalist'? I've been accused of it in the past, but I'm calling for letters to go in to Graham Brady.

And HYUFD himself we all know will go in for reprogramming and be a blind loyalist to the next leader anyway, even if its Liz Truss, just as he's been a blind loyalist for every party leader ever.

Only a third of 2019 Tory voters want Boris to go on the polling today, given you voted for Blair twice you are hardly a typical Tory voter
    But not that many more want him to stay. The rest don't know. And they are supposed to be Tory voters.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1468649200913158146

If and when this gets leaked, this is surely the end
  • Options

Yes, but if it was atypical why did she never do proper ones? For that matter did she do anything at Cop26?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest

@HYUFD is quite unique
  • Options
    A Metropolitan Police commander who wrote the force's anti-drugs strategy will face a misconduct hearing over claims he smoked cannabis.

Commander Julian Bennett, who was nicknamed 'Sacker' due to the number of officers kicked out of the force following his rulings, is alleged to have used controlled drugs off duty between February 2019 and July 2020.

He is also accused of refusing to take a drug test following a tip-off about alleged drug use.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10289207/Met-commander-wrote-forces-anti-drugs-strategy-faces-hearing-claims-smoked-cannabis.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It may be work, but it certainly isn’t going.
  • Options

Sun..

Both the Sun and Telegraph are far more anti Vax passports and anti WfH than the general public
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No. You want him gone because you fear him, because - as you say - he wins elections. He has that instinct

The Tories have no one else with that natural ability. Sunak is a weird elf, Truss is who?, Gove Jesus Christ, Raab lol, the cupboard is empty

Counterfactual: Boris survives this, he can survive anything, he then goes on to win in 2024 quite comfortablt against the tedious Starmer who has used all his ammo and also relies on the Scot Nats

I honestly think he's so damaged that he will bring the party down with him if he stays. But if he is replaced it will be with someone with fewer political gifts. Like I say, a win-win. 🥂
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,248
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest

If a third of people who voted for you want you to resign, that's REALLY bad. Remind me, what proportion of 1992 Tory voters turned on Major in 1997?

And people who voted for Blair twice, then Cameron are EXACTLY the people you want to cater to. Were it not for them, there wouldn't be a Tory Government.
  • Options

Welcome to PB; it’s always good to see someone new here.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest

Lose a third of your voters and you lose office. 🤦‍♂️

If Big G and I aren't voting for the Tories in the next election, then prepare for Opposition.
    Starmer is welcome to you
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Leon said:

maaarsh said:

Both are plausible
    They appear to be the only ones in the world with that view currently. Pfizer confirmed you've better protected against O with a booster than you were against delta with 2 jabs, and markets are near record highs. The panic only seems to exist in this country, and given the screamingly obvious reason for them to be playing politics right now, it feels a much more plausible explanation.

Even if your alternative is right, restriction for the sake of appearing to do something without any expectation it will make any difference is still playing politics.
    The idea the panic only exists in this country is floridly absurd. Israel has entirely shuttered itself from the world

France, Germany, the USA, Japan, Hong Kong, Spain, Ireland, Italy, Oz, Canada etc etc etc have all red-listed southern Africa. Studies of Omicron are being done at super-max warp speed across the advanced world. The whole planet is rattled. The global market took a terrible dive last week, NYC included. They have now rallied, to an extent, but the world waits, with great and renewed anxiety. This is not some confection by the UK tabloids
  • Options

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1468649200913158146

If and when this gets leaked, this is surely the end

I'm pretty sure that if or when a video emerges on a mobile of Johnson at one of these parties then he is done.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest

If a third of people who voted for you want you to resign, that's REALLY bad. Remind me, what proportion of 1992 Tory voters turned on Major in 1997?
    Labour only has a 4% lead in the polls tonight even despite all this, Major was over 20% behind in many polls pre 1997.

Even Kinnock and Ed Miliband had bigger midterm poll leads than Starmer does
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Boris Man-Love is strong with this one! :lol:
  • Options

Do we know how the Christmas party story came out? It's pretty great timing, before the next Christmas so it's topical and right before a potential new lockdown.

Loads of hacks must have known about it the whole time so why now?

They must have thought that they had got away with it, but someone enjoys their revenge served cold and has timed it perfectly.

It does show how hand in glove our media are with our political masters. It really is quite an astonishingly small clique that runs the country. Circles within circles.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest

Lose a third of your voters and you lose office. 🤦‍♂️

If Big G and I aren't voting for the Tories in the next election, then prepare for Opposition.
    Starmer is welcome to you
    Keir is worse than Boris.

Maybe Davey? Time will tell.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    maaarsh said:

The thought of being able to go to a pub without wearing a mask is the only thing keeping me going at the moment.
  • Options
    isam said:

Complete nonsense.
    I don’t think there’s any evidence at all that in Dec 2019 during the Brexit Parliament wars that Starmer, the architect of the second referendum outrage, would have done any better against BoJo than Starmer did. In fact it’s plausible he might have done even worse.

If there was an election in Dec 2021, it would be quite a different story.

What will happen in May 2024 is now very hard to predict. We don’t know what personalities will be involved, and we don’t know the terms of reference for the election.
  • Options
    How many times are people going to repeat the fake news that Starmer was the architect of Labour's shift to second ref when it was John McDonnell?
  • Options
    Please read Left Out
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest

Labour only has a 4% lead in the polls tonight even despite all this, Major was over 20% behind in many polls pre 1997.

Give him time...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest

I agree it's possible to salvage. But you're part of the problem, not part of the solution. You've literally just told a couple of people who ought to be solidly in the Tory column to p*ss off. You may be a blind loyalist, and may well have been drinking since breakfast, but seriously.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

maaarsh said:

The thought of being able to go to a pub without wearing a mask is the only thing keeping me going at the moment.
    Oh completely. I agree with the Quad, there is no real problem. Sadly they have a political problem so some pointless nonsense had to be rustled up.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest

Boris Johnson: not quite as stuffed as John Major. Yet.
  • Options
    It was evident Major was stuffed and yet the Tories never got rid of him.

I wonder if BoJo will be the same way
  • Options
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest

Boris Johnson: not quite as stuffed as John Major. Yet.
    CHristmas coming. Just give him some thyme and he's done.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest

How many times do you have to be told that it takes time for political events to influence the small proportion of the population not glued to PB 24/7?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest

@Leon ?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    Newsnight: "One cabinet minister very impressed by Johnson's apology in the Commons".

That's okay then.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    edited December 2021

Disagree. Even from that leaked rehearsal clip you can see she was shit. See also:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/08/how-allegra-strattons-struggles-kept-press-briefing-project-off-air
  • Options

How many times are people going to repeat the fake news that Starmer was the architect of Labour's shift to second ref when it was John McDonnell?

I must have forgotten the time when Labour’s Shadow Brexit Secretary resigned on principle because he wanted to vote for May’s deal but the Shadow Chancellor wouldn’t let him.
This discussion has been closed.