Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If this narrative takes hold then Boris Johnson is doomed – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    edited December 2021
    DAILY MAIL: One rule for them, new rules for the rest of us. Plus Why is it always the woman who Carrie’s the can? By ⁦@WestminsterWAG⁩ #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1468710662721388553?s=20
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There were no extra restrictions announced tonight or any new lockdowns, all that was asked was a perfectly reasonable requirement for vaccine passports for nightclubs and large events and masks to be worn in cinemas and theatres.

As for Labour's mere 4% poll lead, even Ed Miliband and Kinnock got far bigger leads than that midterm, let alone Blair

Your problem is that every mistake is coming from idiotic levels of thoughtlessness.

Not a lack of thought for the proles (that's a given) but a lack of thought about how damaging these actions will be for themselves.

If that doesn't stop then you will keep losing support.

Someone needs to start saying No to Boris and Boris needs to start saying No to Carrie.

And if they don't they have to go - responsibility is required now not a pair of spoilt brats.
    Boris was not even at this party, this is just attacks by the left liberal media to get rid of him.

The level of treachery by some backbencher MPs who owe their seats to Boris makes me as angry as the traitors who got rid of Maggie, our greatest leader since Churchill. We had to wait until Boris to get an election victory of the size she won.

I am furious tonight and if these traitors think they can get rid of Boris with no consequences they have another thing coming.

You don't get it do you? It is not about being at the party, it is about lying about the party that broke the rules. And this is the tip of the iceberg of endless lies and abuse of rules and conventions that the rest of us follow.
    I really do feel sorry for HFUYD. That level of blind loyalty will only end in tears - particularly when Boris throws everyone under the bus.

Boris won a large majority because it was the only chance for Brexit to “be completed” (whatever that means). He’s served that purpose - and now proving to be absolutely useless
    There is nobody else who would have won the RedWall as Boris did or the size of victory Boris did, if he is forced out the traitors who do so will find Boris loyalists prepare their own equivalent of Momentum to retake the party.

Take a rest
    I'd love to know where this army of Boris loyalists are preparing to retake the Party?

Other than HYUFD is there a single person here that is a 'Boris loyalist'? I've been accused of it in the past, but I'm calling for letters to go in to Graham Brady.

And HYUFD himself we all know will go in for reprogramming and be a blind loyalist to the next leader anyway, even if its Liz Truss, just as he's been a blind loyalist for every party leader ever.

So where are these 'loyalists'?
    Only a third of 2019 Tory voters want Boris to go on the polling today, given you voted for Blair twice you are hardly a typical Tory voter
    Lose a third of your voters and you lose office. 🤦‍♂️

If Big G and I aren't voting for the Tories in the next election, then prepare for Opposition.
    Starmer is welcome to you
    I think you said earlier that you would not vote for the Tories under Truss unless you were confident she had renounced her Republicanism?

God how I despise that kind of conditional, temporising, fair weather so called conservatism. Why not bugger off and join the SWP?

Quisling.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894

How many times are people going to repeat the fake news that Starmer was the architect of Labour's shift to second ref when it was John McDonnell?

“ So, I have a very simple message: if you want a referendum; if you want to give the British people a final say on Brexit: vote Labour. Only Labour will let the people decide on this vital issue.

Sir Keir Starmer is Labour’s shadow Brexit secretary”

They didn’t want a referendum, so they didn’t vote Labour
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There were no extra restrictions announced tonight or any new lockdowns, all that was asked was a perfectly reasonable requirement for vaccine passports for nightclubs and large events and masks to be worn in cinemas and theatres.

As for Labour's mere 4% poll lead, even Ed Miliband and Kinnock got far bigger leads than that midterm, let alone Blair

Your problem is that every mistake is coming from idiotic levels of thoughtlessness.

Not a lack of thought for the proles (that's a given) but a lack of thought about how damaging these actions will be for themselves.

Someone needs to start saying No to Boris and Boris needs to start saying No to Carrie.

And if they don't they have to go - responsibility is required now not a pair of spoilt brats.
    Boris was not even at this party, this is just attacks by the left liberal media to get rid of him.

The level of treachery by some backbencher MPs who owe their seats to Boris makes me as angry as the traitors who got rid of Maggie, our greatest leader since Churchill. We had to wait until Boris to get an election victory of the size she won.

I am furious tonight and if these traitors think they can get rid of Boris with no consequences they have another thing coming.

You don't get it do you? It is not about being at the party, it is about lying about the party that broke the rules. And this is the tip of the iceberg of endless lies and abuse of rules and conventions that the rest of us follow.
    I really do feel sorry for HFUYD. That level of blind loyalty will only end in tears - particularly when Boris throws everyone under the bus.

Boris won a large majority because it was the only chance for Brexit to “be completed” (whatever that means). He’s served that purpose - and now proving to be absolutely useless
    There is nobody else who would have won the RedWall as Boris did or the size of victory Boris did, if he is forced out the traitors who do so will find Boris loyalists prepare their own equivalent of Momentum to retake the party.

Take a rest
    I'd love to know where this army of Boris loyalists are preparing to retake the Party?

Other than HYUFD is there a single person here that is a 'Boris loyalist'? I've been accused of it in the past, but I'm calling for letters to go in to Graham Brady.

And HYUFD himself we all know will go in for reprogramming and be a blind loyalist to the next leader anyway, even if its Liz Truss, just as he's been a blind loyalist for every party leader ever.

Only a third of 2019 Tory voters want Boris to go on the polling today, given you voted for Blair twice you are hardly a typical Tory voter
    If a third of people who voted for you want you to resign, that's REALLY bad. Remind me, what proportion of 1992 Tory voters turned on Major in 1997?
    Labour only has a 4% lead in the polls tonight even despite all this, Major was over 20% behind in many polls pre 1997.

Even Kinnock and Ed Miliband had bigger midterm poll leads than Starmer does
    I agree it's possible to salvage. But you're part of the problem, not part of the solution. You've literally just told a couple of people who ought to be solidly in the Tory column to p*ss off. You may be a blind loyalist, and may well have been drinking since breakfast, but seriously.
    He's also claimed that the current and former leaders of the Scottish Conservatives aren't real Tories, which raised interesting issues given he's supposed to be a Unionist (and, more philosophically, future Oxford PPE exam questions on the lines of "Who is a True Scottish Tory? Discuss.")
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

How many times are people going to repeat the fake news that Starmer was the architect of Labour's shift to second ref when it was John McDonnell?

The reason was that the majority of Labour members were in favour, at least when deadlock over May's plans were making the country head for a car crash No Deal Brexit.

Sure, it lost some voters, but failing to adopt it would have lost at least as many.

But the policy became obsolete, as did the Lib Dems withdrawal policy when the Oven Ready Deal appeared, albeit that even now the Tories agrees that it is a crap deal.
  • Options
    If you don't want to educate yourself on what actually happened then don't. But Keir Starmer was not responsible for the Brexit policy, it was John McDonnell.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest

If Big G and I aren't voting for the Tories in the next election, then prepare for Opposition.
    I think you said earlier that you would not vote for the Tories under Truss unless you were confident she had renounced her Republicanism?

God how I despise that kind of conditional, temporising, fair weather so called conservatism. Why not bugger off and join the SWP?

Quisling.
    Because that is about preserving Tory values, not about removing the most successful Tory election winner since Thatcher
  • Options
    I would love it to be true that TSE was right on this and Johnson is doomed. But I have thought he was doomed long before now and have been proved wrong time and time again. If he had any honour or his party had any balls (and sense) then he would already be an ex-PM. But all of those things - honour, balls and sense - seem to be lacking in modern politics so I expect Johnson to hang on and tough this out almost no matter what and the country and our politics will be much the worse for it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sun..

Both the Sun and Telegraph are far more anti Vax passports and anti WfH than the general public
    True, but The Sun studiously didn't join in the feeding frenzy yesterday. And now they are photoshopping the PM as the Grinch. That four point lead might have a fair bit more growing to do yet.

Oh, and The Mail (with their new Brexity editor, remember) is out;

• Options
    The liberal media really does hate Boris Johnson.

• Options
    isam said:

“ So, I have a very simple message: if you want a referendum; if you want to give the British people a final say on Brexit: vote Labour. Only Labour will let the people decide on this vital issue.

“ The fact is that the former shadow Brexit secretary did indeed play a key role in shifting his party to support a second referendum. Don’t forget that in 2018 he won his first roar from a Labour conference, when he thundered “nobody is ruling out Remain as an option!”

The Tories certainly haven’t forgotten, and I’m told they fully intend to exploit that clip at the next election as his Achilles heel, telling Red Wall voters that Starmer is the man who wanted to tear up their historic decision.

The Conservatives are likely to have an additional attack line on Starmer’s flip-flopping over the subject too. In the 2017, he successfully secured the inclusion in the manifesto a pledge to end free movement of EU citizens, yet by the 2019 manifesto the whole issue would be up for ‘negotiation’ with Brussels. And in his own leadership campaign he pledged to “defend free movement”.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/keir-starmer-brexit-second-referendum-support-tories-conference-1226589
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sun..

Both the Sun and Telegraph are far more anti Vax passports and anti WfH than the general public
    True, but The Sun studiously didn't join in the feeding frenzy yesterday. And now they are photoshopping the PM as the Grinch. That four point lead might have a fair bit more growing to do yet.

That is a brutal front page.
  • Options
    And for what it's wr
    Foxy said:

The reason was that the majority of Labour members were in favour, at least when deadlock over May's plans were making the country head for a car crash No Deal Brexit.

Sure, it lost some voters, but failing to adopt it would have lost at least as many.

But the policy became obsolete, as did the Lib Dems withdrawal policy when the Oven Ready Deal appeared, albeit that even now the Tories agrees that it is a crap deal.
    I'm not disputing that - but pushing that through was John McDonnell, not Keir Starmer.

Starmer told Alastair Campbell Remain was dead and buried and he would try to deliver Brexit. It was John McDonnell that moved the party when he saw the polling that Labour would win less than 100 seats.

Did Starmer advertise and sell the policy that McDonnell put in place, yes. Absolutely. That was wrong.

But he was not the person pushing for it. Anyone saying otherwise is just incorrect.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,444

Devastating headline for Johnson.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,746

If you don't want to educate yourself on what actually happened then don't. But Keir Starmer was not responsible for the Brexit policy, it was John McDonnell.

That's bollocks. Starmer pursued a 2nd vote relentlessly. AND he was Shadow Brexit Minister. He will not - must not - be allowed to forget it
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    edited December 2021

It was evident Major was stuffed and yet the Tories never got rid of him.

I wonder if BoJo will be the same way

Yes. And May dragged herself on long after she had served her purpose. The 1922 banged desks for her after she threw away a majority against Corbyn.
    Instead of binning her as a dead me loss.
    The Tories' reputation for ruthlessness really rests on IDS. And that was IDS.
  • Options
    Read Left Out - I am off to bed
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sun..

The rightwing press all hate Vaxports but voters back them for nightclubs and large gatherings by 69% to 16%
    https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1468629331647905804?s=20
  • Options
    Interestingly, did no one in No 10 (when they had put down their cheese straws and glass of plonk) think that the headlines would end up being along the lines of 'they disobey the rules, while they give us new rules'?

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    Trying to convince people Starmer didn't do everything possible to stop Brexit is like trying to convince people Boris had absolutely no idea about any parties going on in #10.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243

Quite comically bad politics to have had today’s presser on the back of last nights video. I supposed if he hadn’t, the Sage meeting would have leaked and he’d have been shafted from the opposite direction.
  • Options
    “ “I’ve made it clear that at this stage, at this 11th hour, any deal that comes through from this government ought to be subject to the lock of a confirmatory vote,” Sir Keir said.

The shadow minister said that “probably 120 if not 150” of the party’s 229 MPs could vote against the deal unless it was linked to a second referendum.

“If the point of the exercise is to get a sustainable majority, over several weeks or months of delivering on the implementation, you can’t leave a confirmatory vote out of the package,” he said.”

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-13/sir-keir-starmer-cross-party-brexit-deal-needs-to-include-second-referendum
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sun..

The rightwing press all hate Vaxports but voters back them for nightclubs and large gatherings by 69% to 16%
    https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1468629331647905804?s=20
    But you don't pay attention to anyone but Tory voters. So that's meaningless.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Andy_JS said:

maaarsh said:

This package of measures is so clearly lacking when compared to the claimed threat, indeed so clearly tailored to minimise actual impact (no masks in pub or restaurants) that I can only conclude the decision makers ultimately don't believe there's a really serious problem here. They're just playing politics.

The thought of being able to go to a pub without wearing a mask is the only thing keeping me going at the moment.
    I've followed OGH's example, and have given up alcohol. It was quite novel going into a pub today and ordering a pint of tomato juice.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Andy_JS said:

maaarsh said:

This package of measures is so clearly lacking when compared to the claimed threat, indeed so clearly tailored to minimise actual impact (no masks in pub or restaurants) that I can only conclude the decision makers ultimately don't believe there's a really serious problem here. They're just playing politics.

The thought of being able to go to a pub without wearing a mask is the only thing keeping me going at the moment.
    I've followed OGH's example, and have given up alcohol. It was quite novel going into a pub today and ordering a pint of tomato juice.
    Reminds me of the Oxford pub my friends frequented ca 1980 which had milk on draught for the rowing teams. (Not from the cow, sadly.)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sun..

Don't overlook the choice of word/pun in Mrs Gove's piece on Stratton
  • Options
    "The revolution stalls
    Behind the chaos and scandal of Boris Johnson’s government lies stasis
    Two years after a famous election victory, a would-be radical administration has run into the ground" (£)

https://www.economist.com/britain/behind-the-chaos-and-scandal-of-boris-johnsons-government-lies-stasis/21806682
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787
    Foxy said:

And can someone explain how Allegra Stratton got that job - she looked like total idiot in that clip.

I expect that governments are going to spend millions to make themselves look good.

But its the incompetence which is unacceptable.

And Stratton was clearly incompetent.

Come on Richard. It was a leaked video. Did you think it was an actual press conference?
    Yes, but if it was atypical why did she never do proper ones? For that matter did she do anything at Cop26?
    It is wrong to judge her based on that clip, but it supports the narrative that she wasn't up to the job. There is an interesting question as to how she got in to the position, and another as to what she was actually doing for £125k per year.

All of this supports the popular suspicion that there is some kind of weird court going on in No.10; full of acolytes and Carries friends; and this is behind the continuous errors of judgements and political disasters. Until recently I thought Boris could ride it out, but the situation seems to be going downhill fast. In particular, the denials about parties etc in No.10 seem deeply unwise, in light of the likelihood of further revelations.

If Boris is going to survive there probably needs to be a clear out and new advisors bought in. But Carrie doesn't seem like someone who can be easily banished off the scene.
  • Options
    isam said:

“ “I’ve made it clear that at this stage, at this 11th hour, any deal that comes through from this government ought to be subject to the lock of a confirmatory vote,” Sir Keir said.

The shadow minister said that “probably 120 if not 150” of the party’s 229 MPs could vote against the deal unless it was linked to a second referendum.

“If the point of the exercise is to get a sustainable majority, over several weeks or months of delivering on the implementation, you can’t leave a confirmatory vote out of the package,” he said.”

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-13/sir-keir-starmer-cross-party-brexit-deal-needs-to-include-second-referendum

"A confirmatory vote"

God, what weasel worded traitorous garbage. Just put a fucking buffalo horn helmet on, and march on Westminster, to cancel an election, you fucking lying piece of Woke Labourite Remainer shit

At least the Trumpites were honest in their debauchery of democracy. Remoaners like Der Starmer? With their Enabling Acts? YUK
  • Options
    Just keep repeating fake news all you like, the reality that is not disputed is that the person that implemented the policy was John McDonnell.

Starmer's job was to deliver the policy, the policy which he did not push through himself. Should he have resigned on that basis, probably - but he was not the person who pushed the party to Remain. He tried to deliver Brexit.

Now I really am off to bed.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    Watt: ”Widespread dismay amongst both ministers and backbenchers…one minister told me ‘this is a catastrophe’ “
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    It should be of some comfort to the Tories that the 2024 election will probably a good one to lose. The bills of Boris’ economic carnage will come in.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Quite comically bad politics to have had today’s presser on the back of last nights video. I supposed if he hadn’t, the Sage meeting would have leaked and he’d have been shafted from the opposite direction.
    Was there some sort of prettifying filter on the camera in the mock press conference? Never mind that she is not very happy, Stratton in that pic looks 30 years older than Stratton in the video
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

I would love it to be true that TSE was right on this and Johnson is doomed. But I have thought he was doomed long before now and have been proved wrong time and time again. If he had any honour or his party had any balls (and sense) then he would already be an ex-PM. But all of those things - honour, balls and sense - seem to be lacking in modern politics so I expect Johnson to hang on and tough this out almost no matter what and the country and our politics will be much the worse for it.

You may well be right.

Then again Boris could be gone by the weekend.

Isn't politics great!
  • Options

You may well be right.

Isn't politics great!
    Weekend, that's optimistic....
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Was there some sort of prettifying filter on the camera in the mock press conference? Never mind that she is not very happy, Stratton in that pic looks 30 years older than Stratton in the video
    I though that as well - two completely different people
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

I imagine she's had a pretty shitty 24 hours tbf.
  • Options

And for what it's wr

Foxy said:

I'm not disputing that - but pushing that through was John McDonnell, not Keir Starmer.

Starmer told Alastair Campbell Remain was dead and buried and he would try to deliver Brexit. It was John McDonnell that moved the party when he saw the polling that Labour would win less than 100 seats.

Did Starmer advertise and sell the policy that McDonnell put in place, yes. Absolutely. That was wrong.

But he was not the person pushing for it. Anyone saying otherwise is just incorrect.
    Yes, I think that a reasonable understanding of the Kremlinology.

Incidentally, I don't think the Tories attacking Starmer for being a Remainer will do him any harm in 2024, for several reasons:

1) He has stated that he won't reverse Brexit.
    2) The Tories harping on about the past will annoy many who want the whole subject dead and buried.
    3) There is increasing polling evidence that the public feel that Brexit is going badly under the Tories, and that it was the wrong decision.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

I though that as well - two completely different people
    A year is a long time when you work for Johnson.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,134
    It hasn't been an edifying day with Boris ambushed for the "party" and Allegra taking a hit for the team while the known unknown omicron looms ever larger in the run up to Christmas. Even so, looking at the alternatives available within his own party and across the aisle I'd stick with Boris. And I hope he toughs it out. That said, North Shropshire is probably on a knife-edge after today.
  • Options

You may well be right.

Isn't politics great!
    You are just trying to cheer me up. Thanks I do appreciate it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Newsnight: "One cabinet minister very impressed by Johnson's apology in the Commons".

That's okay then.

NB Raab is in the cabinet, so that solves that one
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Andy_JS said:
    Early night for me then.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

And for what it's wr

Foxy said:

Incidentally, I don't think the Tories attacking Starmer for being a Remainer will do him any harm in 2024, for several reasons:

2) The Tories harping on about the past will annoy many who want the whole subject dead and buried.
    3) There is increasing polling evidence that the public feel that Brexit is going badly under the Tories, and that it was the wrong decision.
    The attack would be he did everything possible to stop a democratic process, so can he be trusted not to try and go back on this word. And that is what pissed off so many people in 2019. All these politicians saying yes we will definitely agree with the vote, but, wait, we have an objection, we are just trying to ensure, wait wait you haven't dotted an i here, we can't do anything until......there will be loads and loads of clips of this nonsense.

It was worse than a politician just lying outright about some curtains. It was this continuous process of trying to stifle the vote.
  • Options
    Leon said:

isam said:

"A confirmatory vote"

God, what weasel worded traitorous garbage. Just put a fucking buffalo horn helmet on, and march on Westminster, to cancel an election, you fucking lying piece of Woke Labourite Remainer shit

At least the Trumpites were honest in their debauchery of democracy. Remoaners like Der Starmer? With their Enabling Acts? YUK
    Haha! Sorry your hero is flushing himself down the pan at a rate of knots. You'll just have to go back to fawning over Vlad.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Foxy said:

And can someone explain how Allegra Stratton got that job - she looked like total idiot in that clip.

I expect that governments are going to spend millions to make themselves look good.

Come on Richard. It was a leaked video. Did you think it was an actual press conference?
    Yes, but if it was atypical why did she never do proper ones? For that matter did she do anything at Cop26?
    It is wrong to judge her based on that clip, but it supports the narrative that she wasn't up to the job. There is an interesting question as to how she got in to the position, and another as to what she was actually doing for £125k per year.

All of this supports the popular suspicion that there is some kind of weird court going on in No.10; full of acolytes and Carries friends; and this is behind the continuous errors of judgements and political disasters. Until recently I thought Boris could ride it out, but the situation seems to be going downhill fast. In particular, the denials about parties etc in No.10 seem deeply unwise, in light of the likelihood of further revelations.

If Boris is going to survive there probably needs to be a clear out and new advisors bought in. But Carrie doesn't seem like someone who can be easily banished off the scene.
    Am I alone in thinking that the No 10 machine is a lot worse since Dom left?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Leon said:

isam said:

"A confirmatory vote"

SeanT is back in the zone.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Sun..

Oh, well spotted.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Foxy said:

And for what it's wr

Foxy said:

The attack would be he did everything possible to stop a democratic process, so can he be trusted not to try and do it. And that is what pissed off so many people in 2019.
    Reducing the Labour GE vote by 10 points in two years - mind you, Boris looks like he’s done that to the Cons!
  • Options

You may well be right.

Isn't politics great!
    Weekend, that's optimistic....
    If there’s no coronation, I lean towards a caretaker being needed if he does go in the next 4-8 weeks. Would backbenchers trust May? Maybe? Who else without ambition could step up and do it? Baron Billy Hague? Remember that PM is not necessarily the same thing as Leader of the Party.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,134
    Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Andy_JS said:

maaarsh said:

Reminds me of the Oxford pub my friends frequented ca 1980 which had milk on draught for the rowing teams. (Not from the cow, sadly.)
    Ever come across milk stout?

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Andy_JS said:

maaarsh said:

There was me, that is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel, and my three droogs, that is Priti, Govey, and Dom, and we sat in the Kensington Milkbar trying to make up our Raaboodocks what to do with the evening. The Kensington Milkbar sold Milk-plus, milk plus GM soya or corn syrup or chlorinated chicken, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old No-Deal Brexit.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

isam said:

"A confirmatory vote"

SeanT is back in the zone.

I am not this SeanT oaf. I am willing to admit that yes, I have now had wine
  • Options

Foxy said:

And for what it's wr

Foxy said:

The attack would be he did everything possible to stop a democratic process, so can he be trusted not to try and do it. And that is what pissed off so many people in 2019. All these politicians saying yes we will definitely agree with the vote, but, wait, we have an objection, we are just trying to ensure, wait wait you haven't dotted an i here, we can't do anything until......there will be loads and loads of clips of this nonsense.
    He didn't try to shut down parliament, unlike Johnson.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

It hasn't been an edifying day with Boris ambushed for the "party" and Allegra taking a hit for the team while the known unknown omicron looms ever larger in the run up to Christmas. Even so, looking at the alternatives available within his own party and across the aisle I'd stick with Boris. And I hope he toughs it out. That said, North Shropshire is probably on a knife-edge after today.

If Boris wins North Shropshire after this it would be a triumph
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Foxy said:

And for what it's wr

Foxy said:

The attack would be he did everything possible to stop a democratic process, so can he be trusted not to try and do it. And that is what pissed off so many people in 2019. All these politicians saying yes we will definitely agree with the vote, but, wait, we have an objection, we are just trying to ensure, wait wait you haven't dotted an i here, we can't do anything until......there will be loads and loads of clips of this nonsense.
    But those pissed off with the stupid games didn't care about that. And that is why Boris won. Everybody saw parliament was playing silly buggers. Hard core remainers thought they were being oh so clear, a big chunk of the country thought they were trying to stifle a vote.

Now, given all of Boris behaviour, all the above won't wash this time around, which is why the Tories will need somebody else.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Andy_JS said:

maaarsh said:

Where did it come from then?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Andy_JS said:

maaarsh said:

At medical school I once bet the Boat Club Captain that he could not repeat* his feat of Downing a yard of tomato juice. He did pretty well initially, getting down to the bulb within a couple of minutes. Unfortunately it then became too much and he started vomiting. It was like a scene from a horror film...

*He had done it at a previous boat Club AGM, but on this occasion had drunk about a half dozen pints.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111
    Leon said:

isam said:

"A confirmatory vote"

Calm down, man. You won FFS.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

Can’t believe they’re as short as EVS!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sun..

"Boris Johnson accepted Carrie Symond's resignation as Prime Ministerial wife earlier today. 'Her contribution was immense, but she had become a distraction and we wish her well' commented the ashen faced UK political supremo".
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Andy_JS said:

maaarsh said:

At medical school I once bet the Boat Club Captain that he could not repeat* his feat of Downing a yard of tomato juice. He did pretty well initially, getting down to the bulb within a couple of minutes. Unfortunately it then became too much and he started vomiting. It was like a scene from a horror film...

*He had done it at a previous boat Club AGM, but on this occasion had drunk about a half dozen pints.
    At the age of 18 I was at a party with friends and we somehow ended up betting against one guy that he couldn't EAT a whole packet of cigarettes. He got about halfway through and then puked his guts up and was severely ill for days

I believe this act is quite dangerous. Nicotine poisoning
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Foxy said:

Yes.

Brexit has lost its electoral salience except among political obsessives, and broadly speaking obsessive Remainers were always going to vote Lab/LD anyway, and obsessive Leavers were always going to vote Con/Faragist.

Very few seats are going to be swung in 2023 (or whenever) by re-fighting Brexit. If Labour wins then we will drift quietly back towards CU+SM, if the Conservatives win we (probably) won't.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

I think Con will scrape a win. It is donkey with a blue rosette territory, and the postal votes are already substantially in. They voted for Paterson, so clearly incompetence and corruption don't put them off voting Tory.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    isam said:

The pro-Brexit vote was however flattered by our unfair voting system. And arguably was in the minority.
  • Options

Foxy said:

And for what it's wr

Foxy said:

But those pissed off with the stupid games didn't care about that. And that is why Boris won. Everybody saw parliament was playing silly buggers.

Now, given all of Boris behaviour, all the above won't wash this time around, which is why the Tories will need somebody else.
    On that at least we are agreed.

A large part of me hopes the Tories bottle it and keep Johnson on for another two years of scandal, mishap, u-turn, chumocracy and general ineptitude before leading them to ignominious defeat at GE24.

Not good for the country in the short term obviously but I am not convince any other Tory PM would be much better for the country either.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest

I don't think there is any constant, unchanging essence to the conservative party. It continually reinvents itself in order to win elections, and is very successful in doing so as 2019 showed. If Boris is looking like a dud, he will be replaced.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The reason there weren't press conferences is that the Government is supposed to announce anything significant in Parliament first.
    And having a presser after a Commons announcement would simply allow the press to ask awkward questions which would show up the bullshit announced in the Commons.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

And if he loses? How bad does it need to be... give us a number.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

HYUFD said:

Sun..

Or the £10 off £40 at Lidl
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Foxy said:

And for what it's wr

Foxy said:

But those pissed off with the stupid games didn't care about that. And that is why Boris won. Everybody saw parliament was playing silly buggers.

A large part of me hopes the Tories bottle it and keep Johnson on for another two years of scandal, mishap, u-turn, chumocracy and general ineptitude before leading them to ignominious defeat at GE24.

Not good for the country in the short term obviously but I am not convince any other Tory PM would be much better for the country either.
    He's done for.

TBH, I said here last year that I thought the Tories would get rid before the next election, say something about never recovering from long COVID and shuffle him off. Then they could blame all of COVID and Brexit mistakes on him and refresh.

I have this sneaking suspicion that CBI speech was the final straw. It is one thing for some disgruntled civil servant to let it slip to a Mirror journalist there was a party, but the video etc, it seems like much more organised than that. We are now just in the cycle of Boris is pinned in, and his defence relies totally on him absolutely not having his own parties nor having any idea about one in #10. All it needs is some whatsapp messages in a group of which he is in, saying christ bob was wankered at our christmas do wasn't he.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

isam said:

"A confirmatory vote"

So did Biden. But the Democrats are not forgiving the Trumpites wbo marched on the Capitol - and they are right to be vengeful and vigilant.

British democrats cannot and must not forget - let alone forgive - the Remoaners: the 2nd voters and the Revokers. They would have shattered British democratic history in one go. Whyever would you bother voting again if that vote can simply be ignored and annulled by the elite?

These Remainer fuckers need to be brought to justice, at some point. They need to feel severe pain. Starmer is one of them
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

It could definitely still happen if Labour's vote holds up at around 15-20%.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Foxy said:

And for what it's wr

Foxy said:

He's done for.

TBH, I said here last year that I thought the Tories would get rid before the next election, say something about never recovering from long COVID. Then they could blame all of COVID and Brexit mistakes on him and refresh. I have this sneaking suspicion that CBI speech was the final straw.
    God the Peppa Pig speech - nearly forgotten about that - seems like a lifetime ago!
  • Options
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

Sun..

Or the £10 off £40 at Lidl

You still voting for Boris at the next GE BJO?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Andy_JS said:

maaarsh said:

At the age of 18 I was at a party with friends and we somehow ended up betting against one guy that he couldn't EAT a whole packet of cigarettes. He got about halfway through and then puked his guts up and was severely ill for days

I believe this act is quite dangerous. Nicotine poisoning
    Someone who I knew vaguely at Uni would after a few on a Friday night, bite his glass and then spit the shards out.

Bonkers.

• Options
    darkage said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take a rest

I don't think there is any constant, unchanging essence to the conservative party. It continually reinvents itself in order to win elections, and is very successful in doing so as 2019 showed. If Boris is looking like a dud, he will be replaced.
    If ?!
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

isam said:

"A confirmatory vote"

So did Biden. But the Democrats are not forgiving the Trumpites wbo marched on the Capitol - and they are right to be vengeful and vigilant.

British democrats cannot and must not forget - let alone forgive - the Remoaners: the 2nd voters and the Revokers. They would have shattered British democratic history in one go. Whyever would you bother voting again if that vote can simply be ignored and annulled by the elite?

These Remainer fuckers need to be brought to justice, at some point. They need to feel severe pain. Starmer is one of them
    Seriously. Go to bed.
  • Options
    Leon said:

isam said:

"A confirmatory vote"

Thought that you'd announced on here, that you were eschewing use of the R-word?
  • Options
    America quietly heading back into Covidland

So far today it has 103,000 cases and 1000+ deaths. With plenty of time to go
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

America quietly heading back into Covidland

So far today it has 103,000 cases and 1000+ deaths. With plenty of time to go

When they properly get O-Mike-Ron, they are f##ked.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

Actual defeat in North Shropshire would require a swing broadly comparable to that seen in the 1993 Newbury by-election - and at least in Newbury the Lib Dems started out from a strong second place.

Holding on by a wafer-thin majority would not be a triumph, it would be a lucky escape from an exceedingly cross electorate.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Andy_JS said:

maaarsh said:

I know someone who was told to give up beer for health reasons.

He switched to ordering pints of wine.
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

isam said:

"A confirmatory vote"

Polling suggests that the Remainers are now in the majority, so that may well backfire on rabid Leavers like yourself.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/how-the-government-is-handling-the-issue-of-brexit-in-the-uk

From a Remainer perspective, I think the flaw in the Second referendum plan was that the vote would have confirmed Brexit by a bigger majority. It wasn't an attack on democracy but rather a confirmation of it.

• Options

Interestingly, did no one in No 10 (when they had put down their cheese straws and glass of plonk) think that the headlines would end up being along the lines of 'they disobey the rules, while they give us new rules'?

I had a rare disagreement with @MaxPB earlier because he thought new rules would come in as a dead cat while I thought the events of the day meant that new restrictions were less likely as surely they'd see just how damaging the juxtaposition of new rules and broken rules would be?

Mea culpa, it seems Max was right and I was wrong. But I still think that the juxtaposition of broken rules and new rules is a catastrophically stupid idea and I can't believe they were too thick not to spot it!

It seems they're even less intelligent than I thought, and I'd already lost a lot of respect.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/TBKhyvchCOc

Russell Brand on entertaining form on the No.10 party to his 5 million YouTube followers. Who was it that said it ends in mockery?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Big cheers for our team name when we got called in third place!

Mood among my friends is mutinous and these aren't exactly hardcore lefties, mostly higher earners in financial services - natural Tory voters, most of them voted Tory in 2019.

The Xmas party was the main issue, plan b is just the shit cherry on the cake of shit. Lots of accusations the scientists are making it all up to keep us scared and locked down, no intention of being locked down this time from any of them either. I think the government will find it much, much tougher to get anyone to stay home this time if they try.

All of them think Boris should go for the good of the nation, no idea on the replacement, one suggested Steve Baker as COVID caretaker PM to see off the scientists, no one else except me knew who he was lol.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,880
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

I applaud the stamina. I consider myself addicted to PB and I can't even keep up with the comments.

On the bus back from an exceptionally boozy board games night, much wine and cheese, whisky.

There is a palpable sense of doom amongst us twenty something's (till glass number two).
  • Options
    Not a cloud in the sky at the cricket....Australia 350/3 at the end of the day.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Andy_JS said:

maaarsh said:

One of my dad's favourite drinks. It's a bit bracing the first time you try it.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

isam said:

"A confirmatory vote"

Polling suggests that the Remainers are now in the majority, so that may well backfire on rabid Leavers like yourself.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/how-the-government-is-handling-the-issue-of-brexit-in-the-uk

From a Remainer perspective, I think the flaw in the Second referendum plan was that the vote would have confirmed Brexit by a bigger majority. It wasn't an attack on democracy but rather a confirmation of it.

No, it was an outright attack on democracy. FFS. It was an attempt to overturn a solemn national referendum and Britain's biggest ever single vote. You cannot be allowed to rewrite history like this. "Oh it was an advisory referendum", "oh the people were lied to", "Oh let's just Revoke". That was an actual policy. Revoke. Jesus Christ!

No.

I get that this makes the more thoughtful Remainers squirm with embarrassment now. Tough shit
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The modern world generally feels a bit rubbish, but here’s a (hopefully) heartwarming tale. My youngest son 13 has written a book, which he intends to give as gifts. He uploaded the file to Amazon and paid out the money he has earned in chores for someone to design a cover. He is having real paperbacks made for his mum, brother and aunt.

None of this would have been thinkable for adults a few years ago, but here we are with a 13yr old doing all this off completely of his own bat.

In all the horrors of Covid and nonsense of populist politics, we forget the miracles around us. Our world is amazing. There is so much out there.

How incredibly wonderful! What genre is it?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Jonathan said:

The modern world generally feels a bit rubbish, but here’s a (hopefully) heartwarming tale. My youngest son 13 has written a book, which he intends to give as gifts. He uploaded the file to Amazon and paid out the money he has earned in chores for someone to design a cover. He is having real paperbacks made for his mum, brother and aunt.

None of this would have been thinkable for adults a few years ago, but here we are with a 13yr old doing all this off completely of his own bat.

In all the horrors of Covid and nonsense of populist politics, we forget the miracles around us. Our world is amazing. There is so much out there.

Ooh What's the book.
    Good for your boy.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

https://youtu.be/TBKhyvchCOc

Russell Brand on entertaining form on the No.10 party to his 5 million YouTube followers. Who was it that said it ends in mockery?

To be fair it ends with mockery, but it begins with it too. In-between you get mockery interspersed with more mockery.

If there's one thing we Brits love to do then that's mocking people.
This discussion has been closed.