Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

BJ really struggling at PMQs – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2021 in General
BJ really struggling at PMQs – politicalbetting.com

They hosted a party during lockdown.They knew it was against the rules.They knew they couldn’t admit it.They thought it was funny.Then they covered it up.The Prime Minister must hand over everything the Government knows about the parties in Downing Street to the police.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited December 2021
    first like lord of the treasury sunak will be before we have opened all the windows on our advent calendars
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    🚨 If you’re one of those Downing Street staff who Boris Johnson has just thrown under a bus, my DMs are open and my sources are always protected. 🚨
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1468560058690772992
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    I had a quick look at the odds for Boris gone by the end of 2021 last night - on the basis that this felt very similar to Hancock. You could get 25-1 on it then. 20-1 was the best an hour ago. May have come in further.

That said, out in the real world, there doesn't seem to me yet to be the same anger about this as there was about Hancock. Perhaps because Hancock was always a cheerleader for lockdown. If Boris announces Plan B later, it may well be different.
  • The apology by Boris was about all he could do. The whole situation is a shambolic mess and only an apology was left as an option but quite frankly it is a disgrace.

----

Excellent question from IDS for once and he seems to have actually gotten the Prime Minister to announce a diplomatic boycott of the Winter Games. 😲

Good if so. There should be such a boycott.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    IshmaelZ said:

first like lord of the treasury sunak will be before we have opened all the windows on our advent calendars

Isn't Raab the deputy?
  • I wonder how many people this scandal will take down?
  • Boris has battled it away says one Twitter poster, I wonder what's smoking
  • I wonder how many people this scandal will take down?

Boris did indicate it could involve the Met
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

I wonder how many people this scandal will take down?

Fewer than 2
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

One. And Clara Petacci so 2.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306
    Will the CABSEC also be asked to investigate the *flat* party on Fri 13 Nov, the other flat parties, & the flat's 'bubble' policy...?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Selebian said:

I categorically deny that I was in the last thread. Neither was I aware that it was happening.

I was repeatedly assured the last thread did not occur.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,111

Hurrah, I'm triple Pfizer jabbed.

Three shots of Pfizer vaccine can 'neutralise' Omicron variant, lab test shows

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1468559654879997957

Jammy sod (but good news). How about AZ/AZ/Mod?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021

Public service announcement....regardless of the website says, you can book early booster jabs now. My mate went on last night and got one for tomorrow.
    edited December 2021

lol, the story yesterday was that it was 40x less effective, on Sky no less.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

The apology by Boris was about all he could do. The whole situation is a shambolic mess and only an apology was left as an option but quite frankly it is a disgrace.

----

Excellent question from IDS for once and he seems to have actually gotten the Prime Minister to announce a diplomatic boycott of the Winter Games. 😲

Excellent. Everyone needs to announce diplomatic boycotts now - adding that if the missing tennis player isn’t back on tour before the Olympics, then there will be a sporting boycott too.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306
    Will the CABSEC also be asked to investigate the *flat* party on Fri 13 Nov, the other flat parties, & the flat's 'bubble' policy...?

Wonder if @Big_G_NorthWales can tell us categorically who attended those parties too.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Is there a link to PMQs today somewhere please?
  • If needed, they can deliver a vaccine specifically for the Omicron strain by March 2022, they added

Pissing get on with it ....
    Cyclefree said:

You can watch it on Sky's youtube channel, just rewind by 40m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Auq9mYxFEE
    Cyclefree said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcparliament

Watch Live, scroll back to noon
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    The equivalent of Plan B hasn't worked in other European countries. France has just registered its highest numbers for a long time despite having vaccine passports, mask wearing outside in public places, etc.
    eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

With the legendary modesty of Mr Eagles, who was it that mentioned on the last thread, that a certain Mr Cummings might have a good idea of what actually happened?
  • RobD said:

That was from blood of peiple who had 2 doses....and no indication of how long ago.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    edited December 2021

So there must be absolutely no lockdowns this Christmas then.

Focus on getting everyone their boosters instead, already most over 50s have already been able to get a booster
    edited December 2021
    Carnyx said:

Jammy sod (but good news). How about AZ/AZ/Mod?
    I imagine it will be just as good if not better, as mix and match shown to be best approach.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,837
    RobD said:

The booster nAbs are about 40 times that from 2 shots. So it's as you were for boosted vax vs Omicron.
  • Sandpit said:

The apology by Boris was about all he could do. The whole situation is a shambolic mess and only an apology was left as an option but quite frankly it is a disgrace.

----

Excellent. Everyone needs to announce diplomatic boycotts now - adding that if the missing tennis player isn’t back on tour before the Olympics, then there will be a sporting boycott too.
    I agree. I don't agree with sporting boycotts in general, but the tennis player's life is basically on the line now and this is the time for one if so. I expect if she does go on tour she'll claim asylum in the first nation she tours in, and quite right too she should get it.

If China are going to basically imprison athletes we shouldn't be sending our athletes to China.
  • eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

Err, no.
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

With the legendary modesty of Mr Eagles, who was it that mentioned on the last thread, that a certain Mr Cummings might have a good idea of what actually happened?
    Does he have a photo or two? Someone released this video. Who knows what else they have.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,589

Boris did indicate it could involve the Met
    So no-one then.

Mind you, the Met will probably accidentally discover that all the heads of ACPOO were at the party. Then try and cover it up by using marker pen on the screen showing the video. Yellow marker pen.
  • eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

Wonder if @Big_G_NorthWales can tell us categorically who attended those parties too.
    I have no knowledge of who attended any party
  • RobD said:

Selebian said:

I categorically deny that I was in the last thread. Neither was I aware that it was happening.

I was repeatedly assured the last thread did not occur.
    As long as your promise to investigate and then adjudicate on it yourself at some undetermined time in the future, we shall believe you.
  • Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

Does he have a photo or two? Someone released this video. Who knows what else they have.
    I doubt there will be pictures/videos.

They usually make you hand over your phones, tablets, and watches when you enter the building.
  • HYUFD said:

Focus on getting everyone their boosters instead, already most over 50s have already been able to get a booster
    Not everyone has had the Pfizer vaccine, some have had that Oxford muck.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

And yet here we are on the precipice of another fucking lockdown. We have 30m doses of Pfizer and Moderna in the country, another 10m due by the end of the week. What the fuck have we been doing until now.

eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

Then why do you keep assuring people that Boris did not attend
    edited December 2021

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

They usually make you hand over your phones, tablets, and watches when you enter the building.
    What there could be is whatsapp / texts of people joking about such and such bring wankered, the funny secret santa bob got, how ropey a particular journalist looked on the news the day after

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

There seem to be all sorts of sources of video. I cite this story and Matt Hancock. What else might there be?
  • I had AZ as I am high risk, for my first two jabs.

Just recently had Moderna for my booster, praying I am protected
  • Speaker furious that Boris may announce new measures to the public before the House

Speaker is spot on and Boris as PM is hanging by a thread

Sandpit said:

----

I agree. I don't agree with sporting boycotts in general, but the tennis player's life is basically on the line now and this is the time for one if so. I expect if she does go on tour she'll claim asylum in the first nation she tours in, and quite right too she should get it.

If China are going to basically imprison athletes we shouldn't be sending our athletes to China.
    Don't be Sinophobic.

We should do a deal - they can kill her, if they pay us.

We could also do a deal to re-purpose the Uyghurs in Chinese detention camps as unpaid workers in the UK. This would prevent wage inflation, help the Chinese and restart a traditional British industry.
  • HYUFD said:

Yeah I had two doses of the alleged vaccine produced in the city of perspiring dreams. It didn't stop me catching Covid.
    edited December 2021

I had AZ as I am high risk, for my first two jabs.

AZ/AZ/Moderna is supposedly the best combination so well done!

Edit - it takes about 4-5 days for the booster to work.
  • MaxPB said:

And yet here we are on the precipice of another fucking lockdown. We have 30m doses of Pfizer and Moderna in the country, another 10m due by the end of the week. What the fuck have we been doing until now.
    Fannying about.

History will be most unkind to Boris Johnson, particularly on Covid-19.

He pissed the summer months away when we could have vaccinated school children, there was no urgency on the booster jab until recently.
  • I had AZ as I am high risk, for my first two jabs.

All the evidence so far is that a) moderna is the gold standard and b) mix and match is overall the best approach
  • eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

Then why do you keep assuring people that Boris did not attend
    The daily mirror itself stated he did not attend
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,550
    Selebian said:

Have you been repeatedly assured that was the case - and do you understand the pain of everybody who suffered throughout the last thread ?
  • On Betfair, Truss is now just shorter than Starmer (she's 5.6, he's 6) to be next PM. Sunak still favourite.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,837

All the evidence so far is that a) moderna is the gold standard and b) mix and match is overall the best approach
    I'm Pfizer/Pfizer/Moderna, I think it's either that or Mod/Mod/Pfi or Az/Az/Mod which is the best.

HYUFD said:

Yeah I had two doses of the alleged vaccine produced in the city of perspiring dreams. It didn't stop me catching Covid.
    IIRC AZN/AZN/Modena has the highest efficacy - by a tiny margin.
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

There seem to be all sorts of sources of video. I cite this story and Matt Hancock. What else might there be?
    The Matt Hancock footage was from CCTV at the DOH, security is less stringent there than Downing Street.

The Stratton video was recorded professionally in the briefing room, you cannot move those around easily.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,138
    eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

The Cummings sub-plot in this slow moving tragedy/comedy is truly Shakespearean.
  • I had 3 lots of moderna, given the kick in the nuts it gave me each time, it bettter bloody work.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 1,919
    edited December 2021
    RobD said:

40x less dilution of plasma titre to produce an immune against Omicron in vitro, not 40x less effective at preventing death or hospitalisation. Big difference! (If I understand the paper correctly.)

It’s obviously not /great/, but that 40x factor brings it down to around the worst of the effective vaccines produced against Covid-19 in the last year IIRC. You’d definitely prefer to have it than nothing at all.

I really, /really/ wish the news media would report this stuff with due consideration for what the science actually means, rather than grabbing the headline from a paper pre-print on BioArXiv & running around as if everyone’s hair is on fire.

You're probably better protected than triple Pfizer.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    Has anyone non-vulnerable, non-healthcare under 40’s been able to book their booster?

The booking site keeps fobbing me off.

Sandpit said:

----

Yes. A sporting boycott is terrible for the athletes who have trained, but when a professional athlete has clearly been kidnapped by the Chinese authorities…

Will be huge pressure on Western leaders, especially Biden and Johnson, not to send a team.

Of course, Peng Shuai deserves asylum anywhere - Australia will be the first major tournament of the new year.
  • On topic, while Starmer had an open goal he dispatched the ball with real skill six times. I thought the questions where he evoked the suffering of the woman whose mother had died last Christmas, and of HMQ, were particularly effective. I had tears in my eyes. Delivering those kind of emotionally nuanced questions is a lot harder than it looks, so kudos to him and his team.
  • Pulpstar said:

I'm Pfizer/Pfizer/Moderna, I think it's either that or Mod/Mod/Pfi or Az/Az/Mod which is the best.
    When i say mix and match, i mean AZN with an mRNA (either pfizer or moderna).
    ping said:

Has anyone non-vulnerable, non-healthcare under 40’s been able to book their booster?

You can't on the website but a lot of walk in centres are far less awkward - so go and hunt for one.
    edited December 2021
    Nigelb said:

Indeed, of the available combinations I've been told by multiple people AZ/AZ/Moderna is the best followed by 3x Moderna. 3x Pfizer will be really good to though.
  • On Betfair, Truss is now just shorter than Starmer (she's 5.6, he's 6) to be next PM. Sunak still favourite.

Sunak shorter than both of them? 😉
    ping said:

Over 30s from Monday.

On Betfair, Truss is now just shorter than Starmer (she's 5.6, he's 6) to be next PM. Sunak still favourite.

She needs to put her high heels on then!
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    MaxPB said:

AZ/AZ/Moderna is supposedly the best combination so well done!

Edit - it takes about 4-5 days for the booster to work.
    So CHB will be fully protected for this year's 10 Downing Street bunfight.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited December 2021
    eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

Perhaps Cummings is behind all this in the final analysis. This is all from exactly that crucial patch at the very end of his time working on the governmental payroll, after all, when the fallout was bad. He also seems exactly the kind of person to have been plotting, planning and timing his revenge for a whole year since, carefully assembling material from any of his supporters still inside no.10.

Sunak shorter than both of them? 😉
    Stop belittingly Sunak.
    ping said:

They are doing down to 40s at the moment.

The reason for this is the same reason that the original vaccinations were given in age sequence, downwards.

Older people are more likely to get serious effects from COVID. Which means that the "value" of a vaccinations (booster) or otherwise given to an older person is higher.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Interesting to see if we have civil disobedience in response to these draconian new measures, if they're brought in.
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Sandpit said:

On Betfair, Truss is now just shorter than Starmer (she's 5.6, he's 6) to be next PM. Sunak still favourite.

She needs to put her high heels on then!
    I agreed with Jonathan yesterday. Boris is mortally wounded but the Cabinet don't want to finish him off yet as others were likely at the party. If this is the reason he's knifed, any at the party can't run and even if they weren't there their first media narrative will be firing half their top team for doing the same thing. Let the story run out and then get rid of Johnson in six months.
    What measures can we expect to be announced today?
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed, of the available combinations I've been told by multiple people AZ/AZ/Moderna is the best followed by 3x Moderna. 3x Pfizer will be really good to though.
    Absolutely.
    Getting exercised about the particular brand of vaccine you had, when all are pretty effective, is a waste of time.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874

If needed, they can deliver a vaccine specifically for the Omicron strain by March 2022, they added

Pissing get on with it ....

Someone needs to order it...
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Nigelb said:

It all seems much of a muchness to me.

Which combination works better is probably down to an individual's genetics and medical history than any intrinsic advantage to any combination.

Get vaxxed, people!
  • At PMQs Boris Johnson's defence was so weak he could play for England in this winter's Ashes and be an improvement on Burns et al.

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

What there could be is whatsapp / texts of people joking about such and such bring wankered, the funny secret santa bob got, how ropey a particular journalist looked on the news the day after
    There are Christmas parties, and Christmas parties….

You can probably get good odds that almost everyone who did have to work in an office last December, had some sort of deal to finish an hour or two early one day, and order some wine and nibbles.

The problem is, that nuance is difficult.

It may, of course, be the case that there were loads of extra guests invited, dozens of bottles of champagne, a few grams of Colombian marching powder, and they all staggered out of of the door well past midnight. In which case, they’re utterly screwed.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited December 2021
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Absolutely.
    Getting exercised about the particular brand of vaccine you had, when all are pretty effective, is a waste of time.
    It was a joke. We're lucky to have so many effective vaccines.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    Before you all get too cheerful

“Reuters is carrying a somewhat bleak analysis that has emerged from virologist Sandra Ciesek of the University hospital Frankfurt.

“Stressing that she has posted only selected findings and a paper hasn’t been presented yet, she has said exposing the blood of vaccinated individuals to different virus variants, she found that the ability to mount an antibody response to Omicron in people who had three shots of BioNTech/Pfizer was up to 37 times lower than the response to Delta.

“An antibody response to Omicron half a year after a two-shot regimen of Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna or a mixed course of AstraZeneca/BioNTech was not even measurable, Ciesek added.”

(Guardian live blog)
  • What measures can we expect to be announced today?

WFH, vaxports, and 'One source said that the package was likely to include restrictions on the numbers of people able to visit care homes, raising the possibility of severe disruption to some elderly people’s Christmas plans.'
    Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

There are Christmas parties, and Christmas parties….

You can probably get good odds that almost everyone who did have to work in an office last December, had some sort of deal to finish an hour or two early one day, and order some wine and nibbles.

The problem is, that nuance is difficult.

It may, of course, be the case that there were loads of extra guests invited, dozens of bottles of champagne, a few grams of Colombian marching powder, and they all staggered out of of the door well past midnight. In which case, they’re utterly screwed.
    Nobody I know had a Christmas party or even anything remotely close. My girlfriend’s office even banned the sharing of sweets due to Covid. Spectacularly out of touch.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    MaxPB said:

ping said:

Over 30s from Monday.
    Cheers
  • MaxPB said:

ping said:

Over 30s from Monday.
    That's excellent news.

The government needs to get smart, stop making matters worse, and absolutely no hint of Plan B.

To implement Plan B now is just adding insult to injury expecting us to make more sacrifices when they were laughing at it. Just keep on vaccinating people, don't do anything else, and have this Omicron wave go over a vaccinated population.

Anyone very vulnerable should have had their booster by now. We just need to live our lives and if some triply-vaccinated people or antivaxxers get sick or die that's unfortunate but it is what it is. The vaccines should be the only tool in our arsenal.

If Boris could stop making stupid unforced errors like Paterson and this party mess, avoid Plan B, get through Christmas without locking us down then next year could be better. If he can't, he has to go.
  • Leon said:

“Reuters is carrying a somewhat bleak analysis that has emerged from virologist Sandra Ciesek of the University hospital Frankfurt.

“Stressing that she has posted only selected findings and a paper hasn’t been presented yet, she has said exposing the blood of vaccinated individuals to different virus variants, she found that the ability to mount an antibody response to Omicron in people who had three shots of BioNTech/Pfizer was up to 37 times lower than the response to Delta.

“An antibody response to Omicron half a year after a two-shot regimen of Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna or a mixed course of AstraZeneca/BioNTech was not even measurable, Ciesek added.”

(Guardian live blog)

Wasn't that for two jabs?

With three jabs it's ok.
  • What measures can we expect to be announced today?

WFH, vaxports, and 'One source said that the package was likely to include restrictions on the numbers of people able to visit care homes, raising the possibility of severe disruption to some elderly people’s Christmas plans.'
    MPs need to write to Graham Brady urgently if that happens.

Not OK.

MaxPB said:

ping said:

Over 30s from Monday.
    That's excellent news.

The government needs to get smart, stop making matters worse, and absolutely no hint of Plan B.

To implement Plan B now is just adding insult to injury expecting us to make more sacrifices when they were laughing at it. Just keep on vaccinating people, don't do anything else, and have this Omicron wave go over a vaccinated population.

Anyone very vulnerable should have had their booster by now. We just need to live our lives and if some triply-vaccinated people or antivaxxers get sick or die that's unfortunate but it is what it is. The vaccines should be the only tool in our arsenal.

If Boris could stop making stupid unforced errors like Paterson and this party mess, avoid Plan B, get through Christmas without locking us down then next year could be better. If he can't, he has to go.
    That's a change in position since this morning - and it's still 4 hours before Plan B is announced.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,702
    Boris Johnson told by SNP he must resign over No 10 party

Starmer says he should say sorry (Boris not Blackford I think)
  • Is BJO still BoJo's only fan
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2021
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

ping said:

Over 30s from Monday.
    That's excellent news.

That's a change in position since this morning - and it's still 4 hours before Plan B is announced.
    There should be no announcement any more serious than "get your booster".

That is it. Nothing else.
  • Why has the PM not been asked:

Who gave him assurances no rules were broken?
    How were no rules broken?

Leon said:

(Guardian live blog)

With three jabs it's ok.
    Nope 3 jabs of Pfizer see https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-partially-protective-against-omicron-bloomberg-news-2021-12-07/
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182

Leon said:

(Guardian live blog)

With three jabs it's ok.
    I really don't like the language of 'up to 37 time lower'. Does it mean 'one thirty-seventh of'?
    Also, 'up to' covers a wide range.

On another note, will be interesting to see the figures from South Africa today. WoW increases yesterday were much, much lower than previously - could this be the peak already, or just a reporting blip?
  • MaxPB said:

Fannying about.

History will be most unkind to Boris Johnson, particularly on Covid-19.

He pissed the summer months away when we could have vaccinated school children, there was no urgency on the booster jab until recently.
    I'm sorry but the issue lies with the JCVI there, and possibly Hancock. They prevaricated. Only once Javid took over were they forced to make a choice, and even then flunked it. Johnson is a massive arse, and has done much wrong, but that one is unfair.
    Hancock resigned in June, we had July and August to make a decision/overrule the JCVI.
  • Is BJO still BoJo's only fan

He has HYUFD.

Until Boris is replaced at which point whoever is the new leader he gets a software upgrade to become their biggest fan.

I'll laugh so hard if its Truss.
This discussion has been closed.