Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

BJ really struggling at PMQs – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Leon said:

Choose your opinion

On the one hand:

"Omicron Symptoms ‘Far Milder,’ South Africa Hospital Group CEO Says - Bloomberg"

https://twitter.com/DoomedRambo/status/1468591040840060944?s=20

Yay. But on the other

"The other thing I keep reading is that #Omicron is “mild” — that’s misinformation. It’s mild*er* for *vaccinated* persons. The number of hospitalizations in South Africa (where only 25% of the population is fully vaxed) is rising and the case fatality rate remains ~3%"

https://twitter.com/DataDrivenMD/status/1467666453591560194?s=20

Oh

Overall Covid stats from SA looked a lot better yesterday
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    edited December 2021
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

new Lib Dem pamphlet being distributed in North Shropshire by-election https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1468586170347098115/photo/1

Isn't that illegal, if its not true?

Seems a bit like Phil Woolas in Oldham East and Saddleworth.
    Anything is fair game in an election advert - up to outright lies provided they aren't libel.
    What's the key difference between this and Phil Woolas?
    Phil Woolas did it to a candidate standing in the election.

All the same, it's at best an unproven extrapolation and at worst an outright lie. The Lib Dems do themselves no favours playing politics like that. No wonder no-one takes them seriously.
    Mr Carmichael MP got in hot water over that [edit] sort of thing in an election, too, though in a different way.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/09/alistair-carmichael-lib-dem-election-court-throws-out-attempt-to-unseat-mp
    That article has a tag on it saying it's "more than 6 years old" when it's clearly less then 6 years old.
    2016 and 2020 were leap years, no? So 6 365-day years and one day?

Edit: ignore: TSE being very intelligent like me despite a lawyer has resolved it as well.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    Sources told me last week there were “many social gatherings” in Downing Street - even suggesting there were “always parties” in the flat Mr Johnson shares with wife, adding: “Carrie’s addicted to them”.

A spokesman for Mrs Johnson described the claims as "total nonsense".

Ah, that should be easily verified then
    So many of Bojo's problems spiral back to his wife. Perhaps that explains his "buyer's remorse"

This is not a personal thing. She seems perfectly pleasant to me, albeit a bit air-headed, maybe

But: cherchez la femme
    No, the story here is quite simple and has nothing to do with his latest wife.

He’s spent his life getting away with denying things that are true.

The strategy with the party was - “it was a year ago, they can’t prove anything, just deny the party and say all regulations were complied with”

Which they’ve been busy parroting all week.

Except for Dom having got passed the video, it might have worked.
    This is another case which shows that James Bond is an utter fiction. If it was real, then Dom might have accidentally driven off a cliff whilst undergoing an eye test on the way to a party involving all the biggest brains in government.

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    Sources told me last week there were “many social gatherings” in Downing Street - even suggesting there were “always parties” in the flat Mr Johnson shares with wife, adding: “Carrie’s addicted to them”.

So many of Bojo's problems spiral back to his wife. Perhaps that explains his "buyer's remorse"

This is not a personal thing. She seems perfectly pleasant to me, albeit a bit air-headed, maybe

The strategy with the party was - “it was a year ago, they can’t prove anything, just deny the party and say all regulations were complied with”

Minor correction- Boris doesn't always get away with lying; see his brief career at The Times, or his time as Higher Ed spokesman under Howard.

Where BoJo excels is in failing upwards- getting sacked or dumped and still snagging a better gig or girl.

He can't do that this time, can he?
    Since we left the EU no he can’t unless he manages to become King of the UK
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar

Minor correction- Boris doesn't always get away with lying; see his brief career at The Times, or his time as Higher Ed spokesman under Howard.

Where BoJo excels is in failing upwards- getting sacked or dumped and still snagging a better gig or girl.

The Divine Pfeffellus will have his place in the pantheon.
  • IanB2 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar

Prince Charles should watch his back.

One philanderer to be displaced by another?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    TOPPING said:

Just had a look and I can't find my oximeter, which I bought at the start of the pandemic. There are now loads on Amazon, should one be worried about the quality of those, or is the tech even for cheap Chinese knock-offs good enough?

I wonder how many people have bought oximeters.
    I don't know, but following Dr Foxy suggestion that there were a very sensible thing to purchase such that if you do contract COVID you can monitor the all important blood oxygen level stat.

TBH, I think it probably would have been sensible for the government to come up with a COVID "prep" kit that they recommend people to have in their cupboard.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    I note both Russia and the Ukraine's official death tolls will likely overtake ours on a per head basis shortly.

Just had a look and I can't find my oximeter, which I bought at the start of the pandemic. There are now loads on Amazon, should one be worried about the quality of those, or is the tech even for cheap Chinese knock-offs good enough?

I got mine from the St John Ambulance online shop, on the hopeful assumption they would not be flogging crap, or you could have a look on the Whicvh website - they have made recommendations.,
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

new Lib Dem pamphlet being distributed in North Shropshire by-election https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1468586170347098115/photo/1

Anything is fair game in an election advert - up to outright lies provided they aren't libel.

All the same, it's at best an unproven extrapolation and at worst an outright lie. The Lib Dems do themselves no favours playing politics like that. No wonder no-one takes them seriously.
    Mr Carmichael MP got in hot water over that [edit] sort of thing in an election, too, though in a different way.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/09/alistair-carmichael-lib-dem-election-court-throws-out-attempt-to-unseat-mp
    That article has a tag on it saying it's "more than 6 years old" when it's clearly less then 6 years old.
    Very good.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

dixiedean said:

Tested positive. On the day of my planned booster.
    Was awake with a temperature for a couple of hours last night. Sore throat. That's it thus far.

Hope you feel better soon. Keep an eye on your ox sat if you have a monitor.
    Likewise

+2 on the Oximeter thing - get one, use it. Shout out to @Foxy for saving relative lives etc.
  • Carnyx said:

I got mine from the St John Ambulance online shop, on the hopeful assumption they would not be flogging crap, or you could have a look on the Whicvh website - they have made recommendations.,
    I presume Boots has some level of quality control as well.

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

It's a quirk caused by leap years.

What it does is count the number of actual days between publication day and today then divides it by 365.

Now leap years throws that off. As we've had two leap years since publication day it explains why it appears as more than six years old.
    Ok, good explanation for why it's wrong. But it is wrong.
    Andy_JS said:

"Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    I think many elements of plan B could help slow spread. but vaccine passports seem entirely pointless when we have already seen superspreader events of Omicron in fully vaxxed groups."

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1468538711293972481

Vaccine passports will slow the spread compared to the counterfactual. The biggest argument against them right now is that 1st and 2nd doses in the UK are still far higher than population churn.
    Scott_xP said:

There's nerves in the civil service this afternoon that all the blame for the No 10 Xmas party will be pointed at officials - that's what the Simon Case review could find - even though I understand political advisors were invited (and were due to feature in Xmas 'awards')
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1468594003948060676

Maybe this is where the missing FO staff were?

dixiedean said:

Tested positive. On the day of my planned booster.
    Was awake with a temperature for a couple of hours last night. Sore throat. That's it thus far.

Hope you feel better soon. Keep an eye on your ox sat if you have a monitor.
    Likewise

+2 on the Oximeter thing - get one, use it. Shout out to @Foxy for saving relative lives etc.
    I got mine as a direct result of @Foxy and his advice.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,261

Leon said:

If they only have 2 jobs their antibody resistance to OMICRON YE KINGGE OF GERMES is approximately zero.

They are fucked. Unless it is incredibly mild. All of them will get it, many will go to hospital
    Did you see the report from the hopital in Cape Town ( the 2nd largest in SA) who confirmed that they had zero Covid cases in ICU or in the HDU? Compare that to Italy in late Feb 2020 when Doctors were deciding who to admit and who to leave outside to die.
    Look at Gauteng (with its extremely young population) and I am afraid the news is bleak

Steve Miller
    @SteveMillerOC
    ·
    1h
    Severe Omicron cases in Gauteng hospitals on Dec 8

(changes in last week)

On Oxygen Support
    165 Dec 1
    280 Dec 8 (+70%)

In ICU
    63 Dec 1
    179 Dec 8 (+184%)

Ventilated
    27 Dec 1
    58 Dec 8 (+115%)

https://twitter.com/SteveMillerOC/status/1468569813035278339?s=20

Or see here. On these numbers, MIGHTY SWINGING OMICRON actually looks worse than Pathetic Dweeby Delta, tho there are so many confounding unknowns it is impossible to say with any certainty

I have taken the daily updates of COVID and hospital data from the incredible work of
    @sugan2503
    to chart the Gauteng Province hospital data from the beginning of the Delta wave to its peak & the recent #Omicron data. The rate of change of Hospital admissions and ICU are significant.

https://twitter.com/simonboxer/status/1468475093428801539?s=20

• Andy_JS said:

"Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    I think many elements of plan B could help slow spread. but vaccine passports seem entirely pointless when we have already seen superspreader events of Omicron in fully vaxxed groups."

The creatures outside looked from lockdown zealots to antivaxxers, and from antivaxxers to lockdown zealots, and from lockdown zealots to antivaxxers again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    The real tragedy of all this for Boris Johnson is that if things had been just a bit different he could have written a breezily scathing Telegraph column about how hilariously useless the Prime Minister must be to have allowed this to happen.
    https://twitter.com/thhamilton/status/1468596118216925184
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,169

TOPPING said:

I don't know, but following Dr Foxy suggestion that there were a very sensible thing to purchase such that if you do contract COVID you can monitor the all important blood oxygen level stat.

TBH, I think it probably would have been sensible for the government to come up with a COVID "prep" kit that they recommend people to have in their cupboard.
    I bought one in March 2020 and it's been sitting on my desk, occasionally used out of curiosity, but thankfully not yet required for Covid. They are very cheap and should be a standard part of any first aid kit, along with (not quite to cheap but still not extortionate) blood pressure monitors.
    Pulpstar said:

I note both Russia and the Ukraine's official death tolls will likely overtake ours on a per head basis shortly.

Is that our official death toll, or do we not got a bold official?
  • DougSeal said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar

Dump Carrie, marry QEII?
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

What it does is count the number of actual days between publication day and today then divides it by 365.

Now leap years throws that off. As we've had two leap years since publication day it explains why it appears as more than six years old.
    Any halfway competent programming language would sort leap years out automatically, so I can only guess the Guardian website is written in something noddy like ZX BASIC, or FORTRAN, or JavaScript.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Andy_JS said:

"Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp

Either omicron doesn't evade vaccines, so we don't have a problem and don't need to take action.

Or

Omicron does evade vaccines and so vaccine passports would achieve nothing.

For what it's worth, Fizzer press release strongly suggests option A - stock market nearing record highs, so outside of Downing st dead cat spin machine, there is not much real fear in the rest of the world.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

TOPPING said:

Hmm it probably causes more problems/anxiety than not knowing, frankly.
  • Looks like the sell the St John's Ambulance recommended one on Amazon.

Andy_JS said:

"Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp

The creatures outside looked from lockdown zealots to antivaxxers, and from antivaxxers to lockdown zealots, and from lockdown zealots to antivaxxers again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
    Sounds like the creatures weren't very clever.
    Two jabs good. Three jabs better.
    TimS said:

TOPPING said:

I bought one in March 2020 and it's been sitting on my desk, occasionally used out of curiosity, but thankfully not yet required for Covid. They are very cheap and should be a standard part of any first aid kit, along with (not quite to cheap but still not extortionate) blood pressure monitors.
    Not a bad idea to check it to make sure the battery is OK. That's a further point - they use batteries so a spare is sensible.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    edited December 2021
    Farooq said:

Pulpstar said:

Need for bold caps based on this:
    https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Choose your opinion

On the one hand:

"Omicron Symptoms ‘Far Milder,’ South Africa Hospital Group CEO Says - Bloomberg"

https://twitter.com/DoomedRambo/status/1468591040840060944?s=20

Yay. But on the other

"The other thing I keep reading is that #Omicron is “mild” — that’s misinformation. It’s mild*er* for *vaccinated* persons. The number of hospitalizations in South Africa (where only 25% of the population is fully vaxed) is rising and the case fatality rate remains ~3%"

https://twitter.com/DataDrivenMD/status/1467666453591560194?s=20

Oh

We should do what you do. Believe the good version until the third vodka martini and then jump to the version three beyond the worst.
    Pretty much. Or the opposite, if that appeals
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

As someone who spent ages writing time and date munging code (including Julian date conversion etc), I'm always amused by this sort of thing. It gets *really* bad if you're writing code that has to work across different regions, and incredibly messy if you need to go back into history hundreds of years. The moment they made the latter a requirement I told them to (politely) eff off.

It's nowhere near as bad as getting leap years wrong, though. Although 2000 was a bad year for that if you forgot the 'extra' rule ...
    edited December 2021
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I totally disagree. Dr Foxy has explained that the drop in blood oxygen level is a key indicator. Trying to rely on you feeling bad / ok can result in you waiting too long to seek urgent medical treatment and the likes of 111 can't tell you much over the phone. So many people have gone well I was felling ok, then I was in ICU in hours....it is because they won't have realised this as occurred.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    It’ll certainly be easier to investigate a party if you were actually there.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited December 2021
    It seems to be a day of drift and non-goings on at Downing Street. What is going on, exactly ?

This looks like a Prime Minister too weak to take any action one way or the other on Covid, combined with a collective don't-look-at-us among his cabinet and MP's about what to do next. There's a general distinct feel of a whole political class, or governing class, hiding in a fridge.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I totally disagree. Dr Foxy has explained that the drop in blood oxygen level is a key indicator. Trying to rely on you feeling bad / ok can result in you waiting too long to seek urgent medical treatment and the likes of 111 can't tell you much over the phone.
    IIRC the problem is that one often feels OK nevertheless (a weird feature of covid).
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Have watched PMQ now.

First thing leaping out at me - wow! Angela Rayners got her Party Hair on, that looked so tbh I don’t know how to describe it but it certainly proper stand up stand out moment. I have to be fair about this because I only have a few face on blown up pictures of it, but no, I don’t like it. I’ve deleted the line where I scream Mars Attacks! It’s almost two ideas in one, something for the office in the front, something of the night rising up behind. And still that fringe! I love bangs I do, but she had to try something different with that new look, maybe curtains. Or just rethink what she was doing and go for a plan B. Love to have her round my flat and give her a lob like mine.

I don’t know if it’s the mask which accentuate the eyes, but even Boris front bench had go stand in naughty corner I feel let down by you eyes when listening to him don’t you think? Sunak continually looked elsewhere when PM was speaking. When I am Prime Minister I will insist those on my bench look at and listen to me and nod when I’m fighting back against the enemy.

In the exchanges, Starmer had a decent moment when he invoked the leadership of the Queen in comparison to Downing Street parties.

Due to the greasy pole nature of politics, PM Boris will get millions of seasonal cards slipped between the cheeks of his arse but if he wasn’t PM I wonder just how many he would get this Christmas.

Going to catch up on Emmerdale now in the bath with a glass of wine 🙋‍♀️

Have watched PMQ now.

First thing leaping out at me - wow! Angela Rayners got her Party Hair on, that looked so tbh I don’t know how to describe it but it certainly proper stand up stand out moment. I have to be fair about this because I only have a few face on blown up pictures of it, but no, I don’t like it. I’ve deleted the line where I scream Mars Attacks! It’s almost two ideas in one, something for the office in the front, something of the night rising up behind. And still that fringe! I love bangs I do, but she had to try something different with that new look, maybe curtains. Or just rethink what she was doing and go for a plan B. Love to have her round my flat and give her a lob like mine.

I don’t know if it’s the mask which accentuate the eyes, but even Boris front bench had go stand in naughty corner I feel let down by you eyes when listening to him don’t you think? Sunak continually looked elsewhere when PM was speaking. When I am Prime Minister I will insist those on my bench look at and listen to me and nod when I’m fighting back against the enemy.

In the exchanges, Starmer had a decent moment when he invoked the leadership of the Queen in comparison to Downing Street parties.

Due to the greasy pole nature of politics, PM Boris will get millions of seasonal cards slipped between the cheeks of his arse but if he wasn’t PM I wonder just how many he would get this Christmas.

Sounds like that’s all that is left in the bottle.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    How many covid hawks does it take to change a lightbulb?

It's too early to change it now.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    IanB2 said:

BREAKING: Downing Street unable to deny that the man appointed to investigate the party may have attended it.

He has a rock solid name for the job, Simon Case, neither can be bettered, but it's surely not a good use of time for a (very) senior mandarin. First the stupid wallpaper, now this. Essentially being used by the PM as a kind of lackey-gopher cum glove-puppet cum string-vest. It's like he's back at Eton and Case is his fag. 15 years of top notch schooling, 15 more of blue-chip civil serving, and this is what you end up doing. If he's not angry right now he should be, and I certainly am on his behalf.
    BBC saying the Plan B restrictions announcement may still be on for today

The bulb has died but that's just part of life.
    Farooq said:

The bulb has died but that's just part of life.
    Nature, I believe, is the approved term.
    Pulpstar said:

131 additional confirmed cases of the #Omicron variant of COVID-19 have been reported across the UK.
    The total number of confirmed COVID-19 Omicron cases in the UK is 568.

Increasing but not flying out of control, yet.
    The curve flattens daily.
    Yes, this is quite odd. That's a rather low increase.

Probably just noise.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I totally disagree. Dr Foxy has explained that the drop in blood oxygen level is a key indicator. Trying to rely on you feeling bad / ok can result in you waiting too long to seek urgent medical treatment and the likes of 111 can't tell you much over the phone. So many people have gone well I was felling ok, then I was in ICU in hours....it is because they won't have realised this as occurred.
    I bought this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002MEUFKW as did a number of friends and relatives.

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

As someone who spent ages writing time and date munging code (including Julian date conversion etc), I'm always amused by this sort of thing. It gets *really* bad if you're writing code that has to work across different regions, and incredibly messy if you need to go back into history hundreds of years. The moment they made the latter a requirement I told them to (politely) eff off.

It's nowhere near as bad as getting leap years wrong, though. Although 2000 was a bad year for that if you forgot the 'extra' rule ...
    I'm getting nightmare flashbacks to the Russian Revolution. The October Revolution took place in which month again?
    The lengths to which the government has gone, to keep the damage being done by Brexit off of the front pages, continue to amaze.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,169

Andy_JS said:

"Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp

Well quite. An alignment of interests
    TOPPING said:

I had never even heard of them until just now!
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    IanB2 said:

We’re under 2hrs before an apparently urgent address to the nation, and no one in the lobby can confirm if it’s on or off??

Pulpstar said:

131 additional confirmed cases of the #Omicron variant of COVID-19 have been reported across the UK.

Probably just noise.
    Well according to my analysis (Google sheets exponent best fit) we're now on for 350,000 omicron cases by christmas day instead of 777,000. There'll be a tremendous amount of noise in daily figures though.
    edited December 2021
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm getting nightmare flashbacks to the Russian Revolution. The October Revolution took place in which month again?
    November? But I’d focus on your bid for Britain’s oldest man, if I were you…

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

I worked with Stephen Colebourne for a short while. Date/time geeks are a special level of geek.
    IanB2 said:

So the Plan B Plan A announcement was to be next week. Then they moved it to today -- we'll call that the Plan B Plan B -- and after being rebuked by the Speaker, a possible Plan B Plan C was in the offing. Now we're back to Plan B Plan B Part 2.

Did someone say Chaos with Ed Miliband?

Have watched PMQ now.

More hair commentary in the future please. It is something PB has lacked and I welcome it.
  • What Glyndebourne is doing:

Important changes to our safety measures:
    We are committed to protecting our audiences, artists and workforce, and want to ensure everyone feels safe at Glyndebourne. We are therefore asking all audience members to provide evidence of their COVID status when attending a performance this winter. When you arrive you’ll be asked to please present proof of one of the following: double vaccination, a negative lateral flow test (taken within 48 hours of the performance), or proof of natural immunity.
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Julian or Gregorian calendar?

Pulpstar said:

Probably just noise.
    We're going to get new restrictions on the same day we get confirmation that the booster strategy offers excellent protection, and the 2 day doubling exponential ra rar stuff which ALWAYS stops before it gets anywhere near the levels predicted starts to come off the boil. Just laughable really.

TOPPING said:

‘cos we bought them quietly, on Amazon, and ticked ‘no publicity’
    Farooq said:

IanB2 said:

So the Plan B Plan A announcement was to be next week. Then they moved it to today -- we'll call that the Plan B Plan B -- and after being rebuked by the Speaker, a possible Plan B Plan C was in the offing. Now we're back to Plan B Plan B Part 2.

Did someone say Chaos with Ed Miliband?
    Is Saj still making an address to Parliament today about it?

Are we going to have a Thick of It presser where they can’t talk about the thing it was arranged for so talk about something else?
    DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes. [hides]
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited December 2021
    BREAKING: Less than one in 10 people believe Number 10's claim that no party took place in Downing Street last December during lockdown, an Opinion Poll for Sky News has found.

Our deputy political editor @SamCoatesSky has the latest.

Read more here https://trib.al/BBc3TYV

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1468599782629326855?s=20
  • Pulpstar said:

Probably just noise.
    That will throw off Sky news stupid chart they put up last night, where they fitted an exponential curve through two estimated data points, in order for them to basically say we all get Omicron by January.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

BREAKING: Downing Street unable to deny that the man appointed to investigate the party may have attended it.

He has a rock solid name for the job, Simon Case, neither can be bettered, but it's surely not a good use of time for a (very) senior mandarin. First the stupid wallpaper, now this. Essentially being used by the PM as a kind of lackey-gopher cum glove-puppet cum string-vest. It's like he's back at Eton and Case is his fag. 15 years of top notch schooling, 15 more of blue-chip civil serving, and this is what you end up doing. If he's not angry right now he should be, and I certainly am on his behalf.
    Serves him right for becoming a secretary. Doesn't he know it's a woman's job?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    Andy_JS said:

"Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp

Yes but it is not cases spread that is the worry but increase in hospitalisations.

All the evidence so far is that the double vaccinated and those who have had their booster are much less likely to be in hospital if they catch Omicron than the unvaccinated are

Pulpstar said:

Probably just noise.
    That will throw off Sky news stupid chart they put up last night, where they fitted an exponential curve through two estimated data points, in order for them to basically say we all get Omicron by January.
    How ever did Leon get the gig as statistics advisor to Sky News?

TOPPING said:

Quite a lot of sports watches now include them. IIRC, this is because the tech is related to the tech used to get heart rate.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257

DougSeal said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar

Dump Carrie, marry QEII?
    Renouncing of US citizenship means the presidential bid is no longer an option? (Was it ever?)
  • Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I totally disagree. Dr Foxy has explained that the drop in blood oxygen level is a key indicator. Trying to rely on you feeling bad / ok can result in you waiting too long to seek urgent medical treatment and the likes of 111 can't tell you much over the phone.
    IIRC the problem is that one often feels OK nevertheless (a weird feature of covid).
    Mine was lowest when I was feeling most tired. People could simply decide it is fatigue and go back to bed.
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Probably just noise.
    Every person in their contact book turned out to be him. It's like Being John Malkovich out there.
    Leon Leon Leon? Leon! Leon Leon.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Probably just noise.
    Well according to my analysis (Google sheets exponent best fit) we're now on for 350,000 omicron cases by christmas day instead of 777,000. There'll be a tremendous amount of noise in daily figures though.
    Denmark has great surveillance and sequencing. Omicron is doubling every two days there

"Michael Bang Petersen
    @M_B_Petersen
    ·
    Dec 7
    There is now officially community transmission with omicron in Denmark. ~50 % increase per day for the past few days.

Remember: Denmark has a very high capacity for testing and variant detection and, hence, is without blindfolds.

The spread is likely similar in your country."

https://twitter.com/M_B_Petersen/status/1468237024939360273?s=20
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    edited December 2021
    Farooq said:

Pulpstar said:

The UK's excess deaths aren't far off the official covid deaths figure, as is the case in most advanced democratic nations where statistics on deaths are published by law by independent statistical organisations. Believe it or not this is one area where the UK is amongst the very best for collating and publishing data.

There is a whole range of quality for covid death data for less democratic and developed states, which ranges from large discrepancies between the covid deaths and excess deaths (like Russia), through autocratic states that claim essentially no or very few covid deaths (like Turkmenistan), to states where deaths are simply not recorded in any systematic fashion by the state (like many nations in Africa).

Anyway the Economist think that 17.9 million people have now died due/from covid, over three times the official figure, and about 0.5 million up on the last time I looked about a couple of weeks ago.
    edited December 2021

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Mine was lowest when I was feeling most tired. People could simply decide it is fatigue and go back to bed.
    My understanding is there is a very clear significant drop off from COVID when you are about to get into serious trouble.
    https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/status/1468600118228271105?s=21

Cabinet about to meet to discuss Plan B. Still expecting associated presser tonight.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Probably just noise.
    Have you seen the mathematical skills of every other journalist over the past 21 months?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Get your booster.

Chise DNAPetri dishMicrobeSyringe
    @sailorrooscout
    Fantastic news. Initial lab studies show a third dose of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine neutralizes Omicron. A booster with the current version of the vaccine RAISES antibodies 25-FOLD providing a similar level as observed after two doses against the original virus and other variants!

I want to but the bloody government won't let me!
    Apparently new instructions have just gone out that anyone over 40 is eligible - nor sure if that includes you?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

TOPPING said:

I don't understand people who can drift through life without knowing or caring how big their ox is.
    edited December 2021
    Hospital admissions from the Omicron variant may reach at least 1,000 a day in England by the end of the year without extra restrictions being put in place, government advisers have said.

The numbers are contained in leaked minutes of a meeting of the government's scientific advisers held on Tuesday and seen by the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59581234

It is getting a bit stupid now, SAGE just leaks every meeting these days.
  • Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Probably just noise.
    Denmark has great surveillance and sequencing. Omicron is doubling every two days there

"Michael Bang Petersen
    @M_B_Petersen
    ·
    Dec 7
    There is now officially community transmission with omicron in Denmark. ~50 % increase per day for the past few days.

Remember: Denmark has a very high capacity for testing and variant detection and, hence, is without blindfolds.

A pedant writes.. a 50% increase per day is 2.25x over two days, not a doubling.
    edited December 2021
    Dominic Grieve: “I have no idea what to believe, because the PM has shown himself consistently to be a consummate liar.”

But thinks crown property may have been exempt from the regulations, as [thin] justification for the last week’s denials.

“This is a Prime Minister who is a serial liar..who will say anything that comes into his head at any moment to get himself off the hook”

“The PM is clearly not fit for office…the question is how long Conservative MPs will continue to put up with this.”

“I was a party member for over forty four years, but watching where this charlatan has been taking it [the Tory Party] over the past two years is a really painful thing to see…the simple fact is that this Prime Minister can’t be trusted on anything”

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Probably just noise.

"Michael Bang Petersen
    @M_B_Petersen
    ·
    Dec 7

The spread is almost certainly lower in the UK. Evidence is now in that 3 doses, or 2 + infection gives good immunity and we are a long way ahead of continental Europe on that.

Hospital admissions from the Omicron variant may reach at least 1,000 a day in England by the end of the year without extra restrictions being put in place, government advisers have said.

The numbers are contained in leaked minutes of a meeting of the government's scientific advisers held on Tuesday and seen by the BBC.

'may' reach 'at least' 1000 a day?

Which is it?

Over half say Johnson should resign (54%).

A third of Conservative voters also say this (33%).

Almost three in five say party attendees should resign (58%). One in five say they should not (22%).

1,036 UK adults, 8 Dec

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1468591910348591112

So 2/3 of Conservative voters say Boris should not resign then.

As long as Boris did not attend the party he does not need to resign, even if those who attended the party have to resign
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Really. So many people, eh? I'll take your word for it.
  • PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Today's Opinium snap poll suggesting that 35% of 2019 Tory voters think Johnson should resign and only 49% think he shouldn't resign seems.... quite bad? I'm not sure how to contextualise this and don't think it's part of a regular sequence, but fewer than half of your voters at the last election being enthusiastic supporters of you carrying on in the job doesn't sound great. Can anyone put it into better (more informed) context?
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Probably just noise.

"Michael Bang Petersen
    @M_B_Petersen
    ·
    Dec 7

Between 287 and 358 new cases tommorow if my current exponent estimate is correct. I expect it'll be less, but Covid often surprises.
    edited December 2021
    IanB2 said:

Dominic Grieve: “I have no idea what to believe, because the PM has shown himself consistently to be a consummate liar.”

But thinks crown property may have been exempt from the regulations, as [thin] justification for the last week’s denials.

“This is a Prime Minister who is a serial liar..who will say anything that comes into his head at any moment to get himself off the hook”

“The PM is clearly not fit for office…the question is how long Conservative MPs will continue to put up with this.”

It must pain people like Grieve in the dark of the night to know that Boris Johnson’s premiership was directly precipitated by his anti democracy bandwagon over the referendum.

Still, BoJo has served his purpose. He pensioned off Corbyn and then delivered the exit from the EU. Time he’s moved on but he wouldn’t have been needed at all without Grieve.

Have watched PMQ now.

Probably lots of insight and wisdom in there (not that I understood a word of it) but I suspect, sadly, a rather ignorant audience on PB, which is probably largely outside the traditional demographic for styling tips.
    edited December 2021
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Just following doctors ordering on this one, but.....

Three Reasons Why COVID-19 Can Cause Silent Hypoxia

...One of the biggest and most life-threatening mysteries is how the virus causes “silent hypoxia,” a condition when oxygen levels in the body are abnormally low, which can irreparably damage vital organs if gone undetected for too long...Despite experiencing dangerously low levels of oxygen, many people infected with severe cases of COVID-19 sometimes show no symptoms of shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.

https://www.bu.edu/articles/2020/3-reasons-why-covid-19-can-cause-silent-hypoxia/
    Polruan said:

Today's Opinium snap poll suggesting that 35% of 2019 Tory voters think Johnson should resign and only 49% think he shouldn't resign seems.... quite bad? I'm not sure how to contextualise this and don't think it's part of a regular sequence, but fewer than half of your voters at the last election being enthusiastic supporters of you carrying on in the job doesn't sound great. Can anyone put it into better (more informed) context?

I'd like to know too, but I'd add another question on too: any breakdown on those figures? E.g. if the 35% strongly representative of established Conservative voters, new voters, young, old, north, south, etc?
    edited December 2021
    Polruan said:

So 65% of 2019 Tory voters do not want Boris to resign, that is key, he retains the support of most of his voters.

Unless Labour start to build a big poll lead and an alternative leader polls better v Starmer than Boris does or Boris is proved to have attended this party, Boris stays
    maaarsh said:

'may' reach 'at least' 1000 a day?

Which is it?
    Both? It may exceed 1000 a day.

Have watched PMQ now.

Probably lots of insight and wisdom in there (not that I understood a word of it) but I suspect, sadly, a rather ignorant audience on PB, which is probably largely outside the traditional demographic for styling tips.
    Wayward hair being the least of many PB’ers worries.
    DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

When I was at school. I could have done with an app to confirm that, say, today was III ante nones Decembri. That would have been really useful.
    IanB2 said:

Have watched PMQ now.

Wayward hair being the least of many PB’ers worries.
    Especially after half a dozen DIY jobs with the electric clippers.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited December 2021
    moonshine said:

IanB2 said:

It must pain people like Grieve in the dark of the night to know that Boris Johnson’s premiership was directly precipitated by his anti democracy bandwagon over the referendum.

Still, BoJo has served his purpose. He pensioned off Corbyn and then delivered the exit from the EU. Time he’s moved on but he wouldn’t have been needed at all without Grieve.
    Grieve came only came in when May's position shifted to the possibility of endorsing a no-deal without any parliamentary assent for such an approach. Given what was offered and promised during the referendum, that was entirely anti-democratic, and so Grieve's action in this respect was actually entirely pro-democratic.

But let's not get back into all that again.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Have watched PMQ now.

I am with @moonshine on this one. Serious mistake. AR needs to stick with the Burne Jones angel look.
  • Apparently only 9% of the public think there was no Downing Street party. Any PBers think there was no party? Come on, don't be shy!
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The thing to consider is that there is a very large body of medical evidence that low oxygenation levels are strongly correlated with euphoria, poor decision making etc.

There is also a very considerable body of evidence that O2 levels are correlated to how a bad case of COVID is.

In addition, I have verified with several medical professionals that O2 levels are a key number in treating/managing COVID.

So apart from that.....
    maaarsh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Probably just noise.

"Michael Bang Petersen
    @M_B_Petersen
    ·
    Dec 7

The spread is almost certainly lower in the UK. Evidence is now in that 3 doses, or 2 + infection gives good immunity and we are a long way ahead of continental Europe on that.
    We're ahead of Denmark in terms of boosters but behind on first and second doses.
    moonshine said:

IanB2 said:

Grieve is a repulsive character. And entirely unself-aware. Does he not possess a mirror?

If he did he might be surprised to see a malformed version of Boris staring back at him, a narcissist unable to comprehend his own flaws and terrible errors. And at least Boris is funny
This discussion has been closed.